1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to disable 'Paste as plain text' as the default option?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Bre Karn, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

It's pretty irritating and unergonomic to have to uncheck the 'paste as plain text' option in rich editor mode each and every time I open a tab. Is there a way to turn it off permanently?

2. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

3. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Yes. I'm a writer, and I'm posting formatted story posts most posts. Having to go through and reformat a 5000 word post every day is obscenely annoying.

Xicree likes this.
  4. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

From a brief look at your post history you are greatly overestimating the amount of story posts you make. However, even if you did make most posts full formatted, what is to stop you from pasting it once more after you toggle plain text mode off?

5. Radiant Knight

What's to stop the option from being set as off by default?

Walkir likes this.
  6. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

Nothing other than whether an admin wants to. Overstating the amount of trouble it causes you is hardly going to help your argument for it though.

7. Radiant Knight

Oh also one more thing: turning off paste as plaintext doesn't turn it off. That's the big problem.

8. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

I do a lot of copy-pasting of formatted documents between Word files and the board - character sheets, etc. and forget to turn it off half the time I open a new window. It's a few precious seconds wasted every time.

I kinda like having pasted text being an accurate copy of what I selected, and not having to go through loops, however small, to make it happen.

Is it not a good reason? As I said, poor ergonomics.

Walkir likes this.
  9. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

I might be a bit of an odd duck then, because I prefer to layout a post that requires formatting in a text editor with the proper BBCode and then paste it.

All that's left now is whether tehelgee or alethiophile are willing to alter it. (Can't remember if we have alerts on this board or not.)

Bre Karn likes this.
  10. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

I never use the rich-text editor, so I can't comment as to its behavior. It's possible the default is tunable; I'll take a look sometime this weekend.

Bre Karn likes this.
  11. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

I find the solution to be to simply paste only into the BBCode editor personally...

12. Itaywex

Itaywex Hentai tenshi

I think that the main issue here isn't that it's annoying to click the button. The issue is that some people don't know about it and are frustrated about the whole deal.

It took me several times of copying stuff and then reformatting them before I found out about the paste as text button, and only yesterday I told another user about it after he copied something from our conversation and it lost all formatting.*

For the sake of new users, this option shouldn't be on by default.

*That's the case I'm talking about:

DrZero7114 likes this.
  13. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Belatedly, have looked through the TinyMCE options and changed something which looked relevant. People who use this should say if it's preferable now. Forum will be going down soon, so may have to wait until the upgrade is done.

Walkir and Itaywex like this.