1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

It should most likely be either "it shows" or "is shown".

"You've got"

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's usually done because they're enlightened.

This guy may be extremely compassionate, but that doesn't mean he knows all of his thoughts and emotions connected to it.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, he hasn't achieved harmony with his compassionate instincts. It's actually a destructive force in his life. If not for Sia's influence he might have turned into Francis of Assisi.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If Paul picks up on this, maybe he can pay a visit after his vacation is over to try and help this guy become enlightened. You never know when it could come in handy.

5. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I triple dog dare you!

//What you say!?!?

6. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I foresee a great many exchanges like this over the next few updates.

7. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I'd like to build things that are a bit abstract but important. Things like proper logistical supply chains and public sanitation. Unfortunately I don't think that would quite translate well in a story

8. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Part of the difference is that Superman's trying to be an example of hope for humanity to strive through, but he wants humanity to be in charge. Superman doesn't feel that he should just swoop down and take humanity's future out of its own hands and uplift them into a clone of Kypton. OL has no such concern, both being human, and wanting the ends more than the means.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There's an elseworld that explored that a bit.

In it, Jor-El built a rocket big enough for the entire nuclear family.

Jor-El built a company that made money solving Earth's problems with kryptonian science.

Lara built a religion, Raology, which was all about being your best self and stuff.

Kal-El's little sister went into politics.

Kal-El was the black sheep for being Superman.

And Kal-El's little brother went insane with jealousy because he also wanted to be a superhero but because he was born on Earth his kryptonian powers are only half as strong.

10. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I think OL wants to shape humanity into something that can make its own path, rather than trying to push them along the path he sees for them. He just doesn't care if his methods in getting to that place push the line for other people.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Na, if that was it he would be doing a lot more then he has done.

Before anyone forgets, what we are seeing here was completely unintentional on Paragon's part, because in reality he bought the company only because he didn't want them selling out to another company.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Michael Vonica

The idea of a highly compassionate individual like this getting huge amounts of power, like an indigo ring, reminds me of a character from Persona 5 Royal. He was a therapist who aspired to help all of humanity, mainly through research on the mind, but when he finally did get god like abilities to do so, he attempted to effectively replace reality with his own version of it, a reality where no one ever suffered. Not how I would go about helping people, but not unreasonable for a super compassionate person who lacks self control.

13. Michael Vonica

I wasn't saying that helping humanity was his main goal. Or even all that high on his priority list. He's a person who puts what he wants first, after all. And think about how this situation came to be. He sees one company attempting to take over another with only the intention of increasing their profits, because that's what companies have come to be organized and designed around. He steps in and puts a stop to it, shielding company number two. He then advocates for his new company to ensure the best for their workers and community, and put the product above profit. He doesn't have to do very much in this regard, since the company was already like that.

And like I said, he doesn't want to push people towards his view of the future, he wants to allow them to find the best path for themselves. Buying this company and protecting it was that. He didn't need to tell them to build these things, because they know how to do their own jobs, and he has already set up their jobs in such a way that results like this will be the norm.

14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Hell's Razer, preier and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

You can still be a damn good superhero with powers half as strong as Superman...

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, my attitude exactly.

Especially since in that elseworld Superman was the only superhero, so his little brother would have been the second strongest superhero in the world.

Barry never got struck by lightning, the Waynes were never killed, Abin Sur never died.

So whether he was saving people from a Tsunami or rescuing kittens out of trees, I very much doubt that the people he helped would have been giving him crap about only being half as awesome as Superman.

17. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

So, I was taking a look at the first thread (and holy shit, this has been going on since 2013. Wowzers.), and I saw this as the first line.
    If SIs are the fifth lowest form of fiction, then what are the 1st-4th lowest forms?

Also, in case the worst happens and Mr Zoat needs to take his ball and leave again, where are we going next? And why hasn't this been posted to AO3?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  18. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

In regards to AO3, I believe because the ability to do hidden text and all that is harder.

ChestBurster and Vorian like this.
  19. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Fun fact: 90% of West African ports are owned by non-Africans (a single French billionaire owns sixteen), and almost a dozen African countries have their economic policy set by the IMF in Brussels to maximize their ability to repay loans.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

21. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

29th September 2012
    18:49 GMT +3

"…parents, because they want us to get married in a church."

Sia's a pleasant local woman-. Ah, she has a Kenyan accent, anyway. She's also six months pregnant. Finn reaches over and puts his hands on hers as she explains the situation to us.

"Are you not religious? Because I've personally been to Heaven and met angels. There's no need to doubt the reality of the mythology."

The food in… Well, it's not really a restaurant so much as a canteen. Today it's serving fried tilapia, fried potato slices and… For some reason, coleslaw? The locals all appear to consider this perfectly normal, but I'm using my ring to covertly remove the mayonnaise from the otherwise acceptable shredded salad. The beer made with bananas is… Certainly interesting.

Finn shifts awkwardly. "I know. An angel killed my brother."

I lean back slightly, frowning. "I'm sympathetic, but… The angels generally-. I certainly-."

"Declan." Finn looks away for a moment. "Wasn't a very nice man. But he was my brother. I don't have any other family."

Is it a sign of deep seated religious prejudice that I'm surprised an Irishman only has one sibling? I mean, The Republic has a Protestant minority…

Jade gives me a sidelong look that implies to me that she's wondering whether I'm being intentionally obtuse. I mean, I could apologise, but I didn't ask the angels to attack other people, and I've yet to hear anything about them going after anyone who was innocent. I don't feel bad about Declan's death. The only thing I really feel is a desire to look him up to check whether my instinctive response can be supported by available evidence.

"Have you considered a different religion?"

He smiles weakly. "I'd prefer a civil ceremony, but I'd accept another religion if Sia's parents would."

Sia shakes her head. "My parents are strong Anglicans. Another religion would be even worse."

"Well, darn. I know both an angel and a marriage goddess, but it sounds like all I can offer you is sympathy, then."

Finn frowns. "You know an angel? I thought they tried to kill you?"

"'Tried' nothing. I got a burning sword shoved through my skull. How did you think I got to Heaven?"

"Do you think Declan got into Heaven, then?"

"It shouldn't be too hard to find out. Ah, usually Zauriel's not keen on answering that sort of question, but under the circumstances he would probably be prepared to answer you. Ah. Though I… Have to say, everyone else they killed-."

Finn bows his head, nodding. "He's probably in Hell."

"Depends. Do you know why they killed him? I mean, if it was apostasy then there's a fair chance that he went to a completely different afterlife or reincarnated."

"I went through his house after he died. What was… Left of it. I think he'd gotten involved with magic."

"Oh? Do you know what sort? Because they're usually-." He shakes his head. "To the best of my knowledge, they targeted two types of magician. Those who failed them in the past, and those who were seriously into demon magic. And if he was into demon magic, then he was probably operating within the monotheistic mythos."

"So you do think he's in Hell."

"I didn't know your brother. Did the angel kill anyone else in that area? Any confederates?"

"No? I.. don't think so."

"Then-."

"AHM."

Jade clears her throat louder than is strictly necessary.

Right. Work.

"Then… I suppose it doesn't matter. You don't want to get married in a church because angels killed him, not because you think they were objectively wrong about something. There are no facts in dispute. I could probably find a licensed registrar who could pretend to be a priest, if that's any good?"

"No. Look, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but…" He shakes his head. "It's no good. They want a church wedding, and I'm saying no to churches."

Jade nods. "Could you get married in a registry office and agree to have a religious ceremony later?"

Finn and Sia look at each other, and she nods.

"That is probably what we will end up doing. But I would prefer it if my parents would agree to be there."

Jade nods. And she's studying Finn's face. "Did the police look into it?"

"There wasn't really anything to investigate. We knew who did it."

"Had he been in contact with anyone suspicious?"

"He'd been on some odd websites. Occult stuff."

"Jade?"

She glance at me. "You don't see the resemblance?"

I take in Finn's features, trying to.. place…

"Okay, but there are a lot of blond men with that brow and chin and those eyes around the world." Finn frowns at me. "You look a little like someone we know. I wouldn't have thought about it, but you mentioned 'magic' and he's really into that."

"I look like-?" He looks uncertain. "Mam adopted me. I don't know who my blood family are."

"Well… Then, with your consent, in a month, I can do a genetic test and, if it's a match, I can see if they're okay about meeting you. Of course, it might be nothing."

Because while it wouldn't surprise me at all if John Constantine had bastard children around the place, even he isn't precocious enough to have started at… What, ten? I sort of assumed that Ambrose was older than John, but they don't look all that similar up close. And if Welsh John is anything like his apparent physical age then he's right out.

He and Sia make brief eye contact.

"Worth a try, I suppose. Just out of interest, if nothing else."

"Ah… Perhaps we should move onto lighter subjects? I didn't.. plan on digging like that."

He shrugs. "It just sort of comes up sometimes. Hollis -Father Hollis, he's the local priest- has a go at me about it whenever he sees me."

"Any trouble with the vaccination program?"

"No? Why would there be?"

"I've been living in America for the last-."

"Ah."

"Yes."

"No, no problem with that at all. The biggest problem is antivenoms. The snakes have taken a liking to hiding in the cocoa plants, and it takes too long to get back to the clinic with some types. And they can't take the antivenoms with them because they need to be refrigerated."

I nod. "I'm sure we can come up with something."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  22. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Either this will lead to a heartwarming reunion between mother and son, or the reveal of a deep dark secret. I'm not sure which one I'd prefer.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

So, we'll see John again, at last!

As for the geek hierarchy, I've got a fanfic to aim for!

Edit: wait, andrewjtalon already did it.

25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Do you technically count as ”Erotic Fanfic Writer Who Put Themselves In The Story”? In Praise of Eros. :V

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The angel may be a good compromise.

Finn, Paul is fairly okay with people that have tried to kill him.

To a frankly disturbing degree.

Though the worse thing this angel did to him was crash into him.

Assuming he knows.

Well one guy ended up in Erebus.

Unless after killing him they sent his soul into Hell as punishment, even if he worshipped some other god.

Ohh, Paul, still can't get rid of the desire to work.

Is she trying to help Paul now?

And he sees the light.

Looks like we'll be getting a Constantine episode, relatively soon.

'out of'

Zoat, always pushing the button.

Seeing as it would probably be a Constantine episode, the second one.

27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paragon should announce to the universe that he's taking a vacation more often. The narrativium effect/Boss Smiley/whatever will ensure he'll run into a bunch of significant plot/subplot points that he can schedule to deal with after a month. I'm assuming the significance of the event is tied to how long the vacation-time is, so maybe announcing a 3-month vacation means the Light will resurface and in 4 months they'll be permanently dealt with.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Kirk does have Ocelot energy though

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

magician -> magicians ?

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, I get it. Daddy's a little upset, and trying to decide whether he wants the shotgun or the shovel? Still, not the worst thing to have to try and sort out with the future in-laws.

Huh. I did not expect that. People really will make drinks out of anything, won't they?

...On the upside, that's that whole storyline neatly headed off.

...Just a little bit, I think? o_O That stereotype is really entrenched, though, so don't be ashamed for buying into it...

Like, say, Hellenism? I'm sure OL could put a good word in for you with the deity of your choice... Unless you want Apollo or Zeus. Although Apollo might make nice considering that Finn's a doctor.

:rolleyes: Hooray for denominational factionalism.

It's... Complicated. Very complicated.

:confused: Um... Well... :oops: They must have had some reason to target him?

Considering what we know about him from canon? He's probably in good bad company, then.

Yeah, that's pretty damning evidence. :p

...Eh, at least he has little chance of getting promoted.

To be fair, how would he know if anyone else was working with Declan. Most magicians do tend to be solitary folks...

Ah, right. In story or out, Paul ends up pushing the rules, eh?

OL, make a note to look into that in, say... 21 days?

Are you particularly wedded to the idea of them being there? I know, I know, the missus-to-be would prefer it, but... Sometimes, it just ain't gonna happen...

...And I think she understands that. But sometimes you just can't help but hope.

Oh, ho. Now who's tempted to put aside their vacation, hmm?

...Like, say, a fellow in a trenchcoat, with a pack-a-day habit? :p

...Oh, god. I can just picture the websites now... :D All black and red, with spinning pentagram Gifs, goat skulls and twirly linework?

Yeah, that Constantine jawline's kind of distinctive, isn't it?

Oh, god. Please, don't encourage him to meet John...

Looking to the wrong Constantine, OL. Though you're right, John does have a few kids out there.

Well, I hope OL adds plenty of warnings about associating with your uncle.

Just the whole 'getting the bride visibly pregnant before the marriage' thing, I hope. Though I doubt a lot of ladies out here would be wearing white at the altar, if you know what I mean? I doubt he can smell the Constantine luck.

"Say no more, mate."

Yeah, it's hardly new. Despite what we might think, he's probably not referring to current affairs here.

I'm sure Kord Industries could come up with cold-tech-based medical containers. Pass them out to every work party (and hoping they don't get stolen) would cut down on some issues...

Well, a pleasant little date. Even dropped some dangling plot hooks like a master angler. Though at the rate OL's picking up things to do, he's going to be busy when he finally gets back to work... At least if Jade and OL ever get married, they won't have anywhere nears the troubles the Bradys-to-be are. I doubt Paula is all that religious, after all. Not like Daddy Crock is going to have any say in the matter.