1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Now, I'm sure almost everyone here can see why that's a problem.

But for those who can't, constantly re-writing already existing things so your character is more and more important and more and more powerful, actually ends up doing the inverse and making said character functionally worthless. This is because any half way intelligent reader will know that the writer literally just made XYZ thing up. So instead of the things the writer handed the character making the character seem cool or intelligent, it just makes the writer seem bad. Because those things are all unearned by the character and just handed to them by the writer.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

God forbid. A writer? Making things up? What has the world come to.

This is a Vaermina response.

3. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Indeed, giving the Ophidian more of a place in Hell's hierarchy is going to be a devastating blow for future stories, it's not as if Paul is already so involved with the demonic that he can investigate a suicide by just popping down to Hell and asking the ruler he installed to look up the victim in their Soulodex.

oh wait

4. Michael Vonica

About that. I was really expecting Mammon to charge Paul some sort of cost for the service. But here's an idea: this is establishing a brand. Now, Mammon can have his cultists go out and offer this service to the living, with the guarantee that this is a service that Orange Lantern himself partakes in.

5. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

So just for fun in this story we have the following completely separate beings:

Lucifer
    First angel to fall (FAFO)
    Satan (Saturnus)
    Ruler of Hell (Mamom)
    Eden Snake (Ophidian)

missing any?

6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

In DC Beelzebub and Azazel are also separate beings with their own history and personality.

Cuchulin, Vorian and moralrelativity like this.
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's interesting. But didn't they exist well before humanity? Before Earth?

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Brightest Day established that Earth is where the White Light Entity was born into the universe and hence where life first evolved.

Yes, that's pretty stupid, what with the universe pre-dating the formation of the Earth by over 8 billion years.

Hence why I assume Zoat made Earth the fifth world that the White Light Entity has lived, tying in the GLC lore and the New God mythos.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Doccer and 2 others like this.
  9. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

Greta Hayes now with Murder Guns

Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Way to try and strip the context out of what I said. :rolleyes:

Too bad I'm not going to let you.

See, I was specifically talking about already existing things in a setting being re-written to make an SI more impressive or give them power ups. As was outlined in the response you quoted.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

I mean, the actual already decided to tie the Ophidian to the Serpent of Eden;

[​IMG]

Is it dumb?

Sure.

But comics come packed with dumb shit, so it's not that special.

12. Stsword

But it gets worse.

I must have actually blocked out the stupidity that they implied a connection between the Butcher entity to Cain and Abel.

Except Cain was the rancher, Abel the farmer.

So for Cain's murder of Abel to create the Butcher, yes, Cain's cow must have been cheating on him with Abel.

More evidence that comic book writers are paid with booze and drugs.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

......No?

Cain was the farmer and Abel was the shepard.

14. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

If people are habitually ignoring what you post, it might be a sign you should post better. :V

15. Stsword

I sit corrected. <shrugs>

ChestBurster likes this.
  16. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st October 2012
    16:56 GMT -5

"…which is why I'm here. Because when I think 'evil god walking around', Darkseid is the first person who comes to mind."

Barda nods. Mr. Free would probably nod if he could move.

"I mean, rescuing the Forever Children from Apokolips must have irritated him a bit."

Barda's face hardens. "I doubt it."

"Powerful aliens attacking Apokolips and taking his stuff wouldn't irritate him?"

"Not unless it somehow made him know less about the Anti-Life. He'd already destroyed Infinity Man. Beyond that, all they had to offer him was another lesson in how to break a New God's spirit. Letting them go and learn to hope again will just make it more educational when he finally gets them."

"So you don’t think it was him?"

"If-" And Mr. Free is now out of his restraints, glancing at the timer with an air of mild disappointment. "-he were on Earth, we'd all know about it."

"You sure? I'm sure that Apokolips has hush tubes, and… We wouldn't necessarily spot them if he came through somewhere remote. We didn't know about Desaad for months."

Mr. Free shakes his head. "Darkseid's telos won't allow it. When he moves, there's nothing subtle about it. Desaad can sneak around. Darkseid… Can't."

"Okay, what about someone taking… Ms. Carlyle to Apokolips for an anti-lifing?"

"I… It's not impossible. But the demons didn't say anything about going to Apokolips, did they?"

"No. They didn't. But I didn't specifically ask, and they are demons." Barda and Mr. Free share a glance. "No? Not something that could happen?"

Barda shakes her head. "Darkseid has captured magic creatures before. If he had broken these demons, they would not have recovered so easily."

"But the demons said-."

"Demons can be broken." Another nod from Barda. "I have seen demons afflicted by the Anti-Life."

"The demons said that their voices went somewhere, and a dull echo came back."

Mr. Free frowns. "Yeah, that… Sounds a little like Anti-Life, but… Anti-Life is a memetic hazard. You can't touch a mind infected with it without getting infected as well." He considers me for a moment. "Usually. You remember our fight with The Key?"

"Yes. So, someone else acting as a relay, like he was? None of the survivors described him the way the demons described whoever this was."

He shrugs. "It might not even have been that at all. There are other ways to control someone's mind. Did you get someone to do a telepathic scan or make a detailed thaumic map?"

"No."

Barda nods. "I have seen legions of Justified soldiers. This woman did not behave like them. She had no helmet to keep her connected to the broadcast or give her orders. No New God of Apokolips was giving her commands. We have seen no sign of other New Gods on Earth. I don't think this was Anti-Life."

"Of course, this is Earth. If anywhere could find some new way to administer an Anti-Life infection, this would be the place."

I nod. "Yes, but… I suppose you're right. Thank you for seeing me at short notice."

Mr. Free smiles as Barda picks him up, turns him upside down and puts him back into the harness. "Thank you for putting up with Canis."

I nod, raise my right hand in a farewell wave and

step out, appearing

in the Mountain. Most of the team are out on their assignments, but Richard and Beryl are using the cave's main computer to… Render all of our data in three dimensional space to allow them to take all of it in.

Richard doesn't look around. "Anything new?"

"The Frees don’t think it was Anti-Life. But they can't rule it out."

"Oh?" Beryl looks around with a smile. "We not important enough for Darkseid?"

"We're an utterly insignificant little blue green planet in-."

"In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy, yes, we've all read Douglas Adams."

Richard looks slightly awkward for a moment. "Ah..?"

"I'll get you a copy later. But he's got a point. We're probably not important enough for Darkseid."

"Apparently there's something about Darkseid that means he won't ever be personally subtle."

Richard smirks. "Guess you can relate, huh Oh El?"

I mean…

"So we know that the guns are out of circulation, and that something really mystically suspicious is happening. Have you learned anything?"

Richard shakes his head. "We're trying to find points of commonality between all of the victims. At the moment, all we've got is that they're slightly more likely than average to drink orange juice with their breakfast."

"And that could just be because they have a more active lifestyle than average."

"No, we took that into account."

I throw up my right hand. "I guess I'll go and interrogate the head of PepsiCo, then."

"I might have got something." Beryl doesn't sound particular certain, but she's standing in the middle of a lot of holographic screens. "It's not exactly solid-."

"Putting things together like that is your super power. What have you got?"

"The lists the Alliance gave us cover everyone who's signed up with them. But it doesn't cover people who just went to a couple of meetings. Because superheroes don't like people keeping track of their movements. But that means that there are some pretty big spaces in their timelines. And every one of them has a gap big enough to have gone to an Alliance seminar. Like…" She pulls up a file. "Wrench Wench."

I don’t say anything about the name. She was shot seven times.

"Back in September, there's a gap where she was supposed to be visiting her aunt. But we know she wasn't. I didn't think much about it the first time we went through the files; superheroes make stuff up about where they're going all the time. But there was an Alliance conference not all that far away that matches. See?"

Richard nods. "And that's the same for all of them?"

"Yes it is."

"Do we have the full guest list for those meetings?"

She shakes her head. "Only for the people who actually signed up."

"Might as well check it anyway. Not as if we've got any other leads."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

These should say DeSaad.

Does that actually help them out in any way? Also, I think that should say 'our'.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Doccer and 5 others like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Renegade story kinda shows he can be somewhat subtle.

It's possible that Darkseid could have erased any memory.

Ahh, Earth, a truly horrible place.

It's either his brand of tyranny or he thinks he doesn't need to be subtle since there's little that can hurt him.

He's got you there.

Maybe this new evil god us connected to oranges and is offended that people are eating and drinking them.

It wouldn't be the weirdest thing to come out of DC.

Ardy, dxdragon, Istaran and 6 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

I haven't had a consistent spelling of Desaad in this story.
    Thank you, corrected.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Khettien and 6 others like this.
  20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, Beryl has a form of super-intelligence? Super-pattern recognition?

Has she considered some sort of BCI instead of holos?

21. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

In the Renegade timeline it was pointed out that being over-the-top showy is part of how the metaphysical aspect of New God powers work.

ChestBurster, Jaron, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  22. Michael Vonica

I was just exaggerating for comedic effect, like you seemed to be exaggerating for whatever reason you do it. You're not wrong. The Ophidian being the snake from the Garden of Eden, and the father of demon lady, is kind of dumb, pointless, and potentially even contradictory to the source material. From what I've seen so far, it just seems like pointless fluff the story doesn't actually need, and that doesn't help contribute to the setting. But it doesn't matter, and I don't care. This information changes nothing about the current situation. No one will start bending over backwards because of it.

Maybe something will come out of it in the future? And if and when that does happen, I'll readjust my judgement upon the quality of the writing. It being foreshadowed like this would be more of a good thing, in my mind.

This is a Vaermina response.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  23. Stsword

She's a bit like Douglas Ramsey- she takes to languages like fish to water.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...That sounds so wrong, even though I know he's just doing some escapology training. Still, logical enough to check on the better of the possibilities concerning 'dark evil gods'.

I'm sure whoever was in charge of them at the time was upset. But it would hardly be a blip in Darkseid's radar.

Gee, such a long-term view of things... He makes it sound inevitable.

I'll bet he's annoyed because he was one second slower than his personal best...

Telos being his goal or raison d'etre. In this case, Tyranny. And a quiet, discreet tyranny is not his style. Like the classic quote about three billion voices and six billion fists, he needs to be seen as total dominion, absolute rule, the master of all things...

...OL didn't ask. But they certainly didn't seem as.. broken.. as you'd expect something exposed to Darkseid to be.

Which isn't good to hear. I shudder to imagine Apokalips' Hell, if it even has one.

Please, don't elaborate... I don't think we want those nightmares.

When OL no-sold it by sheer obliviousness and Avaricious focus? Indeed.

...Well, now OL sounds a bit lazy. Then again, he's hardly equipped to do that sort of thing.

...Unless they've discovered a new way to employ it without any of those things. :oops: Which is far more terrifying.

And OL realises just that. Still, better Anti-Life than the much worse alternate.

To be fair, OL doesn't have that much to do with him these days.

Taking the old 'corkboard and push-pin' method to its logical, digital-era extreme, eh?

So, nothing they couldn't work around in their theorising.

Ford Prefect, you are not, OL. Even if you probably do know where your towel is...

:rolleyes: Bloody uneducated American lout. He probably only watched the movie.

Given other appearances He's made in fiction, yes.

...Oh, don't try to deny it. :rolleyes:

No skeletons in their closets at all? I find that hard to believe.

Heh. Tracing every possible lead, eh?

Ah, the super-hunch comes through.

...Yeah, sure, not every name can be a winner. And after a certain amount of time, all the good names would be taken fairly quickly.

Sounds like a solid hypothesis. I expect the data checks out?

All right, then. There's a lead.

So, face-to-face meetings with the administration team for each possible contact. ...And OL's on it. Hoo-boy.

And so the investigation continues, then. More inquisitive chats with assorted office-folks who have, at best, a tangential connection to all this... Hopefully stuff that can be skimmed over for the most part. Because I don't know about you, but I am eager to see more of Lantern's attempts to keep 'Despera' from going postal in Eternos... :D

25. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

If Darkseid can't sneak around then how does he pursue his hobby of sneaking into people's homes and sitting on their couches?

Dick's in for a treat, pity that Terry Prachet and his work can't also be found on this Earth

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may have been broken but because they've spent time in Hell they're better equipped to deal with the mental torture.

I think that's just the living world.

It has Alan Rickman, so it was okay.

Maybe that's the only times he can be subtle.

27. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Because the point isn't for subtly, it's for the emotional sledgehammer to the face that is opening your door and seeing Darkseid sitting on your couch, drinking your booze, and showing you a porn video of your wife.

You know, as opposed to him setting up a microtransmitter to beam Anti-Life into your subconscious when you're sleeping or something like that.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was rereading Episode 42: Fool's Canon and I was wondering if we could ever see Future Orange Lantern back in the world of Avatar, but during Korra's era? My idea was for him to show up after the end of the latest Korra comic, Ruins of the Empire. Maybe he could find a way for Korra to communicate with her past lives again, as I would think Paul would be saddened at the loss of knowledge from losing everything every previous Avatar knew.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Oh, yes. I already have plans for that, actually. Older Azula making friends with Korra, taking Mako's place after he leaves the Fire Ferrets to join the police and surprising Zuko by not being dead, while the SI pretends to pretend to not be an Air Bender and drives Tenzin to distraction.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Awesome. Would this be before or after Gate though? As at that point, Paul was not sure if Azula could make her lifespan longer.