1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

to -> too

2. Kainboa

Kainboa Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Normally I don't mind the usage of the semi-invisible god speech, even on a phone where I usually read this story.
    But for this particular update I couldn't read it at all, even when I marked all text, and if that trend continues i'm not going to be following the story much further.
    I don't mind marking the text to read it, but I do want to actually be able to read the content of the story.
    I use the Blackend theme on the mobile firefox browser, for troubleshooting purposes.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Having one of her own kind to talk to probably makes the inadvertent ostracisation bearable. I suppose it helps shake people's idea of 'human' up, when something that looks like a beast of burden (admittedly a very beautiful one) can converse with far more intelligence than some of the politicians she's talking to...

Good to see they haven't been idle. Though I don't doubt there are some paranoids who think the 'freaks' are brainwashing them.

Heh. Wonder if Lex is having any introspective moments of 'God, how many years did I waste trying to outdo the Alien?' And here he is, reshaping an entire continent, without a single superhero busting in to mess it up.

Probably very tall, or you'd crick your neck talking to its chest. :D

...Strange, how this seems familiar to me, yet I can't remember ever having watched it. The joys of fuzzy childhood memories...

Yes, the Renegade's Godhead must be positively humming at the rationality of it all.

And where necessary, 'aggressively promoted regime change', 'disciplined disruptive individuals' and 'pacified unruly dissenters'?

Whereas make the direction you want them to move be more pleasant and safe, and they'll leap into action to do just what you want.

Not when a carrot works so much better, eh?

Yep. His metaphysique must be giving him such a warm and fuzzy feeling right now. x3

And by your standards, most of the rulers you... convinced to step down... would qualify as such? To be fair, some would probably be criminals even by their people's standards, but when they hold the reins, it's hard to prosecute them.

Besides, Grayven isn't really his type. ;)

Ah, Adom. still seeing things in terms of battle and conflict. You'd make quite the war god...

Probably a god idea to get an expert opinion on it, before you go poking things. Don't want the other Grayven to wake up.

Such were the times you lived in, after all.

Oooh, showing off a little, are we, Shade?

Would probably do him some good to get a regular check-up on his more esoteric aspects anyway. Downside of being connected to a metaphysical realm, is that any upheavals therein might translate messily to a human form.

In other words, it's not going to make a big boom if things go wrong, just give people a headache.

Heh, he walked into that pun.

Boy, that sounds a little awkward-looking. I wonder what people looking at them might be thinking?

On the upside, Atum will be managing the process, so it's less likely to backfire.

Ah, the Narrative flow of New God perception. Like trying to adjust the course of a story from the inside.

Something Adom might appreciate a little more than the Renegade's preferred focus on infrastructure...

Because even the greatest dictator needs dissenting voices, to show him where things are not running as they should.

Fools, proving themselves useful in the end. At least from Conquest's perspective.

And if you're lucky, things won't blow up in your face at the hands of well-meaning 'heroes'.

I bet that feeling of the narrative of a well-ordered nation is a big part of the Renegade's reasons for doing what he does. Like the satisfaction of a clockmaker, watching his hard work ticking away in perfect form. These little moments of insight go a long way to helping us readers understand that, and help us want to see him succeed that little bit more... :rolleyes: Well, most of us, anyway. There's always someone who wants to watch the world burn...

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Mild pleasure combined with nervousness amongst the ruling class. Enforced honesty and transparency? That sort of thiong risks catching on!

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Can you still open spoilers on mobile? hopefully that should help.

I mean since Grayven formed the new light he's been all about the power of friendship.

6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Feels like there should be a link here. Specifically:

Lost the battle, won the war. Lost the war, won the world.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I would love to be able to sense the world like this.

Anyone else watch Youtube videos on infrastructure projects and just...revel in that sense of rational, directed progress?

8. asparagus

asparagus Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah, same, for some reason highlighting it didn't work this time. Always used to. Also on firefox mobile. No theme though.

9. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

that... carries a sense of foreboding with it, coming from Adom

10. battlespaceler

battlespaceler Getting out there.

11. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

That is just *chef's kiss*.

I love the idea of fostering strength and growth, even if the passion that motivates it is misplaced hatred toward you.

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat how tall is Grayven and has his height/appearance changed since merging with Grayven-16

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he's around 8 feet tall.

14. Mr Zoat

I don't have an exact height in mind. Eight feet sounds reasonable, but remember that he's far broader than a normal human.

15. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

So Grayven is drawn with the Bruce Timm bulky male style, while the rest of the verse is drawn in the Youngjustice style?

16. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

Have you heard of stylish? Try this? https://userstyles.org/styles/127336/revisitext-sb-sv-qq
    https://userstyles.org/styles/134781/global-transparent-text-spoiler-revealer

1minus2 and Otto von Saurion like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Coup Data

27th October 2012
    01:23 GMT

Jade glances at me as I pull myself out of bed after her.

"You don’t have to get up. I know you came to bed a while after me."

"No, that's not the point. I moved in-"

She tosses her pyjama shirt to me and I catch it as she heads towards her quarters' sonic shower.

"-because I want to spend more time with you, and if that means getting up out of sequence and taking a nap later, then so be it. " I walk towards her the wardrobe. "Ah, uniform or exercise clothes?"

"I already laid-" There's a burst of sound distortion as the sonic shower activates, effectively limiting the pitch of sound that can escape the shower unit. "-it out in here last night."

"Oh, okay." I hold out my hands, calling my rings to me from the dressing table. A flicker of orange and I'm clean of the night's dead skin and sweat and dressed in my own light armour. Then I clean, iron and fold her shirt and lay it down on her pyjama trousers. "Breakfast?"

"Something that doesn't make me need to spend an extra hour working out."

I walk towards the kitchenette.

"I'm hearing pancakes and golden syrup!"

"No you're not!"

The distortion cuts out, and as I pull out the… Foil… Alien oats packet? I hear the quiet rustle of her donning her clothes. With sonic showers not actually involving water they can double as a changing room, because there isn't any need for them to dry after they share in the cleaning process.

Okay, alien probably-milk, or-? Oh, right, lactose intolerant. I'm sure it says something about Jade that she was happy to change the structure of her own brain in order to improve her emotional awareness but it didn't occur to her to gain the ability to digest milk properly. Heck, that means that this isn't actually milk, it's-.

Well, she's clearly fine with drinking it or it wouldn't be in here. I'm having the actual milk that my majority Anglo Saxon digestive tract is evolved to process instead of...

I'm not going to scan it.

Okay, two bowls of porridge and under the smart microwave cooker they go. And fire. It's essentially the same as a microwave on Earth, only lacking the whole box element and the turntable. It's also quieter than the models I'm used to, leaving me to watch the countdown.

Fruit juice is chemically synthesised, but given how I've been agitating for the return of Still Tango I'm hardly in a position to complain about that. Darkstar food processors are able to adapt to produce food that's nutritious and palatable to just about any carbon-based species, though… Obviously the components aren't going to be recognisable due to not occurring in nature. For obvious reasons most Darkstars prefer to bring in food from home rather than subject themselves to the synthesiser.

Though I will admit that the green lumps it came up with yesterday were actually quite nice.

Jade strolls in wearing her uniform, picking up her juice cup and taking a small sip.

"Briefings today, then?"

"I think we're nearly getting to the point where we can leave them to take care of themselves."

"Oh? Where are we off to next?"

"I don't know for sure, but I'm due a rotation on one of the liberated worlds. Investigation, counter-insurgency, that kind of thing."

"Still got room for a plus one?"

She smiles faintly. "They're not going to say 'no' to you even if we don't."

"I don't want to take advantage of my status."

A quiet non-beep tone as the microwave cooker finishes its work, and I offer Jade her bowl.

"I have real fruit and nuts-."

"It's been so long, I don't know if I can handle real food. Why is mine a different color?"

"Because I can handle real milk." I frown. "I know I offered it to Artemis but I don't remember ever offering it to you; are you at all interested in improved milk digestion?"

"Why?"

"Because it would let you ingest milk-based products without ill-effects?"

"Considering what happened last time I modified myself with a power ring, I-"

I frown and look at her breasts. They look like they've gone back to normal size to me, but-.

"-think-." She follows my gaze, then averts her eyes with an expression of amused embarrassment. "No, my brain, not.. that."

"Oh. Ah, while the lactase gene might have a knock-on effect, it would be a very minor one. Humans all produce lactase at some point during their lives."

"Did you give yourself that gene?"

"No, I was born with it. Like your-." Oops. "Un-cle."

"I'll.. stay with the nut-milk, thanks."

"As you will. I -on the other hand- am trying different fruit combinations, and today is…"

"Apricot."

"Apricot, apparently."

"Don't you like apricot?"

"Last time I ate apricots, it was with a pork chop."

"For breakfast?"

"No."

"Do you like pork chops?"

"No. Honestly, I just want to try everything once. I don't have high hopes, but I've been wrong before."

Seven apricot halves appear in my-. And there's the eighth half so that I won't be thinking about the missing half all day. Thank you, ring. I generate a construct spoon and dig in.

"What are you doing today?"

"Quick check up on my students, then I'm in the Themysciran forum all morning. Elections are coming up and I'm hoping that we can finally get Clyemne out of office."

"Are you standing?"

"Hah! Ah, no, I don't think that Themyscira is ready for a male senator. Maybe when the war's over."

I take a spoonful of-.

Uh.

"Not good?"

"It's… Interesting."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmm, I'm assuming we're going to get some Amazon shenanigans.

Maybe it will be an Earth 10 episode and it'll involve the Amazons from there attacking the Nazis.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  19. Dan O'von

Dan O'von Not too sore, are you?

Slice of Life Paul is nice. Still Paul as hell, but nice and chill about it.

20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I would love to know Gary-woman's opinion on the fact that they changed it to Gary. I'd be so chuffed. Especially if they stopped calling nut-juice, milk.

Cuchulin and batrax like this.
  21. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Why would talk of Amazonian elections in an episode called Coup Data indicate Amazonian shenanigans?

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm not sure if that's correct or if it should say 'instead'.

I don't remember Jade unconsciously giving herself a breast expansion when she modified her brain. I'm guessing Paul didn't mention it and Jade asked that he turn them back to their normal size when she noticed?

Exactly how much does she dislike Paul for everything that he's doing to change Themysciran society?

Nice little callback to your early episodes. Did Paul ever tell Jade the duck foot story?

Ardy, Cuchulin, Mr Zoat and 1 other person like this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

No water… So the sonic showers don’t double as a biological waste disposal unit? How dare they call it a shower. Not all apes have steel bladders, am I right?

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because if it involves Amazonian elections and seeing as the word "coup" is in the title, im going to guess is that it involves those elections.

I remember Paul mentioning that there didn't seem to be many changes since unlike him she was comfortable with how she looked.

As a man that pisses on occasion in a shower, I agree with you.

Cuchulin and dxdragon like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He mentions in this part that they "look like they've gone back to normal size", meaning they were changed but later restored to their original size. Mr Zoat, was Jade embarrassed when she realized that she unconsciously gave herself a boob job?

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I suppose it's kind of hard to stay asleep when your partner is rattling around getting ready for work. And a little rude. Still, the usual quiet start to an episode. I wonder where things will go this time...

That's either a request to shut up, an invitation to join her, or both...

Nice touch with the harmonics of the shower making her speech randomly bolded.

Heh. I bet OL likes his heavy foods. If you aren't waddling a little, then you haven't really eaten.

x3 Tease.

Ah, if only they existed now (in a reliable and affordable form.) On the other hand, no better way to cool off in hot weather than a below-room-temperature shower...

Ah, the Internet. Still masters of grabbing a lame joke and running with it to extremes.

To be fair, the only real difference would be the lactose content. Once you hit a certain level of technology, it's probably easy to manufacture nutrients in roughly the right ratios.

Especially those species who prefer their food still live. With such a diverse groups of species, I'm sure there's some...

I'm guessing non-combat duty, so no exo-mantle? Or he would have noted that.

Eh, there's probably still some surprises that might turn up...

So, relatively light duties. Makes sense after a combat tour. At least you're not stuck flying a desk, doing paperwork.

Admittedly, given the things she'll be doing, having you around will be like swatting flies with a nuke. ...And likely as messy.

Dude, what's status for, if not taking advantage of it? Enjoy the privileges for a bit.

There's the downside of eating the same thing for ages: one different meal and your stomach goes 'what the hell? I'm not prepared for this!' and next thing you know you're spending the next day or two on the loo.

Besides potentially mission-endangering gassiness if you accidentally eat something with the wrong chemicals? Seriously, given the variety of Darkstar recruits, I would not be surprised if some had better senses of smell, such that they have to learn to tolerate the odours of their squadmates...

...I don't see you complaining about improving your ability to empathise with others...

...To be fair, most people think of themselves as more attractive than they actually are. So an Orange Ring would only reinforce that impression when it adjusts the wearer to match their self-image. I know if I got a Ring, I would definitely make some improvements.

True, dicking about with genes can lead to all manner of odd biological crashes. Humans are lucky they're as stable as they are... And we still have lots of problems.

Oof, still salty about her father, I see.

Awfully organised.

On the upside, if he doesn't like it, he can always change the taste he receives.

...It'd be odd if it was.

Brave man. He's come such a long way since those early chapters...

Assuming he's not going to hang around his lady at work...

I guess she's been blocking plans to shake up Themysciran culture a bit?

Time for the old 'Ring, make this taste... Not like this.' trick.

Well, you did this to yourself. I know I couldn't push through it like that...

A pleasant start to things. While I doubt the Themysciran politics will amount to much, you never know. No, I think the title hints at something a little messier. What have the Computer Tyrants of Colu been up to since OL helped free the people, again? At any rate, I'm sure we'll see soon enough.

And there's the eighth half so that I won't be thinking about the missing half all day.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably a lot.

The time she showed up in the comics was in the n52 Wonder Woman comics where she opposed having the male Amazons living on Themyscira.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Jaron, Ardy, Bramble Thorn and 2 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

See my post above about the time she showed up in the comics.

I still think it'll involve the Amazons.

Though seeing as Jade mentioned a liberated world, or may be the Reach trying to reclaim it.

Tgough the Tyrants is an interesting idea and seeing the "Dara" in the title, it makes sense.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  29. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

Man, you should see the amount of nut cheese in my local grocery stores. And yes, they actually call it that, right on the label in big letters.

30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Weird. Pork chops are more of a plum thing.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.