1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

I believe that in orthodox Apokalyptian tradition, the Source and Darkseid are considered to be the same thing.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  3. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

If Paul is pissed enough the Ophidian isn’t the only card he can play. Mr Zoat, how hard would it be for Paul to convince Hinon to accompany him into combat as a personal favor to him?

I don’t know where Paul merged with the Ophidian stacks up power-wise compared to Zeus, but if that’s not enough to take him down on its own.….Well, Hinon once told Paul that she was substantially older than most of Earth’s gods and that Maltusians were really high on the universal power scale.

I got to admit, I’d love to see Hinon take Zeus down a few pegs. Especially if Ophidian!Paul was fighting along side her. What can I say—I love overkill.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Hell's Razer like this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Canis considers himself a loyal servant of Darkseid right? Does he believe living on earth and helping their heroes stop villains and evil people is helping somehow? Has no one explained to him the morality and beliefs of humans and the Justice League? I know Big Barda threatened him to behave when they met but did she/Scott never consider fully explaining the dominant culture/beliefs?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They may have tried. The problem is that unlike Scott and Barda, he doesn't want to change that much.

Ardy, Jaron, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Heck, he may view helping them as a twisted way to worship Darkseid.

Like say, helping them achieve victory will make them think of themselves as being mightier and when they lose to Darkseid, their despair will be even greater.

Or maybe he thinks that by helping them become stronger then they'll present a better and thus worthier challenge to Darksied.

He may think that Darkseid shouldn't bother with lowly creatures, so he's helping them become something worthier.

Ardy, Jaron, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Now that is some Tanya-level self-delusion.

Contrasted beautifully with a perfect awareness of Paul.

And we get a reminder that Canis willingly, even enthusiastically, follows someone infinitely worse than the Nazis ever were. And no one seems to care.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Zoat appears to have accepted your correction, but in point of fact Hecate and Hekate are both perfectly acceptable as names for that goddess - this is an artifact of translation from the ancient Greek alphabet, which didn't have the character 'c', instead using k for the hard sound or s for the soft.

Edit: To be clear, I am very far from being an expert on ancient Greek. I've just run into that issue before. It's why the phonetic alphabet for English uses charlie alongside alpha, beta, and delta.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Is he sure that Eris is still his patron of choice? Because he is clearly more deferential and respectful to "Lord" Hades.
    A comment on this: The equivalent water entity on the level of Erebos and Tartarus would be Pontus (male) and Thalassa (female). Who is/rules/represents which part of the seas is not clear. But Thalassa is the maternal aunt of Pontus, genealogically speaking.

Edit: Actually, who is older and how they are related depends on which genealogy you follow.

w34v3r, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

English could abolish the 'c' and lose absolutely nothing. 'S' and 'k' have us covered perfectly well.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think Eris minds it all that much.

There's a similar problem in my native language.

We have for letters, but we could only use two of them and it gets confusing getting them right when we're writing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Aside from Paul, Big Barda, and Scott no one has any context for what Apkolapyse and the people that live there are actually like. So since Canis isn't a problem for them they just see him as an eccentric artist.

Ngamer11, Assblaster5000 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Way back when (a little after The Forever People came by?) at least some of The League actually did go to Apokolips for... I want to say around a month Earth-time, but even in-universe that was quite awhile ago.

But I'm not sure they'd be too worried about Canis because, New God or otherwise, art doesn't trump Kryptonian. And Earth has a funny way of changing people, so they could be hedging bets on that.

mastermenthe, Rebu, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

We need c for dipthongs and couldn't replace "ch" with "kh" due to transliteration of imported words with extra-voiced consonants like "khaki", Twain notwithstanding. Would have been less of a problem if we didn't assault other languages in dark alleys and rifle through their pockets for loose verbiage.

Could always be worse, though, we could be Gaelic.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    mastermenthe likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they were gone for just a few hours.

A day at most.

Yeah, but Canis has been shown as having strength that could rival Kon.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I don't wear thongs, so I'm fine.

17. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I’m disappointed that all of the swimmers seem to be living amazons. Surely the shades of the underworld would appreciate the humor in a “lifeguard,” right?

Rebu and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Living? Oh no, they're dead.

19. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

All serve Darkseid, some just need need to have that fact pounded into their skulls a few times.

yeah Zeus is in for a really bad day soon and Eris is going to have a huge tub of popcorn.

Oh man this is going to be even more fun than that time we got Zeus and Loki drunk.
    The resulting kid had all kinds of issues but the looks on their faces was funny as hell.

Yeah Paul brings chaos where ever he goes no matter how hard he tries.
    Eris would probably be happy to have his babies if he asked just to see what fatherhood would motivate paul to do.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Eh. If you link to the rotted links, I'll try and replace them. It's entirely too long for me to check all of them myself.

21. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember which ones were rotten but I’ll be sure to link you any more I find going forward. I’ll probably do another reread at some point in the future and refind a bunch.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The link here doesn't work anymore since the Superman wiki was made part of the DC wiki. Also, the thing it would've linked to, the Eradicator Armor from Earth 12, doesn't have a page of it's own. So you can either link it to an image or remove the link entirely.

23. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Keep in mind that Eris is the Goddess of Chaos, being constantly deferential to her is kinda antithetical to the concept she embodies

It’s one of the main reasons Paul chose her as his patron, not only does Paul naturally induce chaos just about anywhere he goes but she’s probably the only Olympian that prefers his business like approach to their relationship over organised worship

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Rebu, Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I kinda want one day for Paul to just flip and call her Lady Eris and be extremely deferential to her for like a week. I imagine it would throw her through a loop.

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I'd just assumed Canis was wrong here, and this was the Darkseid Kool-Aid talking.

Because the Renegade talks like it is a connection to the Source, not Darkseid.
    And because in this story Darkseid tried to purge Canis for having a divine portfolio he disapproved of.
    And if he was New God of Darkseid's Artistic Vision, I don't think that would have happened.

Um, Zoat?
    This is the second time OL seems to have forgotten his memory in this story.

OL had talked with Hades previously. The source of the three brothers greater power since the Titanomachy being compatible titans being drained by the gods was directly spoken of and admitted. It gain them power, and also kept the titans they were siphoning that power from, drained and weak. Hades a chthonic titan/primordial. Poseidon a water titan/promordial. Zeus a sky titan/primordial.

He also previously directly asked Hades about the whole pomegranite thing. And Hades said it was one of those legal fiction things. Like how Hera didn't divorce Zeus all the previous times until Pavlos convinced her to. Because she was married to the 'King of the Gods' If someone has autocratical authority and says you are married, you can undo that marriage without another exercise of autocratical power. Zeus gave her over to Hades as his wife. Zeus wasn't willing to reverse himself (and implicitly admit he was wrong prior).

So a legal fiction was done to partially mollify Demeter while also being careful to not impugn the dignity of Zeus and his precious, precious feelings.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It might be better if you can link the part where this happened. Also, for the second part, I believe Paul and Donna were actually talking to Hephaestus about it.

Cuchulin and Thrackerzod like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's just propaganda.

Who knows, maybe Darkseid is ashamed of his artistic side.

He actually asked Hephaestus about it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

There doesn't seem to be a new page for it, so I've linked it to an image instead.
    Ah...
    Ohthankgoodness.

That's what I thought I wrote.

29. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    06:55 GMT +3

"So Zeus is totally doomed, right?"

"Given that entropy exists and will probably be impractical to fight on a universal scale, I'd say that we're all doomed."

Canis nods. "All are doomed before the omnipotent malevolence of Darkseid. We are caught in a trap we cannot perceive."

Eris looks at him curiously. "Darkwho?"

I shake my head more as I see Canis's eyes twitch. "Don't get him started."

"Okay. Fine." She cranes her neck towards me. "But he's doomed, yeah?"

"I have no plans to kill Zeus."

"So is it Ice Giants?" She squints. "Or is that too obvious? Too obvious. Fire G-? No, stupid-."

"I have-."

"Giant-! Lightning rod-! And a magic pokéball!"

"Too obvious, too direct, and I already promised Diana that I wouldn't fight Zeus."

Canis gives her a mild frown. "I would have guessed that a chaos goddess would be more appreciative of surprise."

"It's nervous energy. Zeus screwed the centaur and this time it's metaphorical! A-. What'd you call it? Dysfunctional order that would have been overturned centuries ago if anyone cared about it is about to get flipped."

"Can I assume that you're interested in taking a swing at him?"

She frowns, clearly baffled. "No! Taking crazy risks is what humans are for! I'm just gunna watch. 'cause… This is gunna be hilarious."

And breathe in. And hold. And breathe-.

Eris has taken several steps away from us. "Okay, what was that?"

"You. You want chaos? You want disorder? You want things to change? Get involved. Put something on the line. Be true to your stated beliefs. Because if you don't, that's it. I'm finding a new god. I'll see what Discordia is doing. Or-."

"Hey! No, it's not-! Look, it's Zeus, okay? If I had a good idea how to get rid of him I'd already have done it! I don't know how to fight him, and I'm not powerful enough to just… Pick him up and throw him in the pig pen!"

"This isn't going to be a direct fight. I'm not asking you to beat Zeus for me, I'm just asking you to actively participate in the plotting. Like you did when we went after Klarion."

"Oh, this is not the same-."

"Is the idea of changing making you uncomfortable? Do you want to go and hide in your comfort zone?"

She glares, something about her eyes… I think I'm dimly perceiving the goddess pretending to be a normal woman. For a moment I feel like the hard pavement I'm walking on is moving or… About to move, like one of my feet could just drop through the hard surface, or… Slide away, all my certainties undone.

"The whole point is overseeing chaos created by mortals. I didn't think you wanted gods controlling your lives."

"If there was a god trying to control my life I'd deal with that god. I want you involved."

Her face goes slightly blank, then she smiles, pleased, and the floor is solid once more. Or at least it's disguising that it's not. "Really?"

"You're as much a part of my project as Hephaestus or Ploutos, and you're the one I chose as my patron. This is the same as getting Hephaestus to work with arcane engineering or Ploutos to review my economic plans. You're my first choice adviser."

Her eyes narrow, but this time it's more playful. "Prove it."

I bow, then lunge forward and lift her up onto my right shoulder before chasing after Canis towards… Towards a grim and foreboding tower reaching up towards the faux sky.

"I thought you were gunna grab my boobs! That would have demonstrated you'd overcome your hang-ups about sexuality and the human form! And that you didn't care what that assassin girl thinks about it!"

"Grab your own boobs."

"You're bouncing me up and down and I tossed my bra! You think I'm not?"

"I've overcome my hang-ups to the point where I don't feel the need to prove it. It's emotional intimacy that I crave. Any advice on handling Hecate?"

"You've got two shoulders. Ooh, try pulling her hair! She loves that!"

Canis dismounts and walks into the tower through the open front door. I leave Eris hanging where she is as I follow him. The interior is… An alchemist shop? Jar-covered shelves containing a variety of parts of plants and animals, and tables with various primitive pieces of chemistry equipment. Does she just want her supplies on-hand?

"Lady Hecate?" I look around. "Might I request an audience?"

Canis peers at one of the shelves, clearly not impressed. "This is far more archaic than I expected. Is this not your people's Goddess of Magic? Is she as backwards as the women of Themyscira?"

"No." I look around as… A woman in a purple dress in the medieval European style shuts the door behind us. Her hair is grey and done up in… I don't know what the name is; both flowing and having a pony tail. The skin of her face is a little darker than the Amazon average, and wrinkled as if she's lived a long life under the sun. She looks mature but not really old; it's a look many Amazons have. "But this is only the first floor."

I bow, both arms by my sides. Naturally this causes Eris to land on the floor on her bottom.

"Lady Hecate." I straighten, and… She's younger, her skin more taut and her hair longer. Her dress likewise has changed, the style closer to the beginning of the 20th century. "I would like to barter for knowledge."

"Lord Illustres. An ironic name for one so difficult to see."

Still the same woman. Or goddess, or titan. Of course if she's a titan, then what I'm seeing-.

"I believe that the maiden is next. Should I blink or look away?"

She laughs quietly, raising her right hand and dipping her head as she pushes her hair back over her right ear. "Are you sure that this is not my maidenly aspect?"

"I have essentially no interest in mysticism. I just want to make it a little easier for you to do whatever it is you feel the need to do."

"The form you see is drawn from your own expectations, so it is really more of a question of what you feel the need to do."

"I feel the need for information. What titan does Zeus use to boost himself?"

"And what do you offer in exchange?"

"What do you want? I can give you anything from thaumaturgy texts to more rubber beach toys."

"And if I want to see the titans liberated?"

Ah.

"I think I'd need to know more about the titanomachy than I do now to make that decision."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be 'Ploutos'.

Crap. I can see Paul going for it if it's absolutely necessary. The question now would be if it actually is necessary, and what Paul will do regardless if it is or if it isn't.