1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He's almost surely considering it.

Michael Vonica likes this.
  2. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

This whole story seems off. For one, it doesn't at all divide between Titans and Primordials. It ignores that Zeus's usurpation was the second usurpation. It discards Uranus and forgets that most (actual) Titans are not one with their primordial source domain, thus making them, what, superfluous?

And this problem is not solved by merely retconing the Theogonies. Because it has been established in story that Rhea, sister-wife of Cronus, was much more of a person than an alien force. And so were the Titan Seed recreations of her siblings. And the original Titans that these Seeds came from also simply don't fit as beings of the same class as Erebos, Tartarus, Gaia, Aether and so on. Their domains are often centered around much more human than material concepts, like Coeus or Mnemosyne, or around no specific and known concepts at all, like Crius.

And all this is ignoring the Titan's children not of Cronus. Like Hecates parents or Helios (who himself could be considered as having his power source in Aether or Hemera).

3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Why would any of that matter to Hecate?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, Orin may still be harboring a grudge with Paul about not telling him about his kid.

It's possible that Rhea learned how to act more like a person over time and later on taught her Titan Seed children how to do it.

Though it could be that Zoat just made a bunch of mistakes with how they work.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

In the Lovecraft Mythos, Cats were the original Dreamers of Earth, using Humans as favoured servants.

Then the Dreamrealm got...corrupted? Eaten? And the cats lost (most of) their powers and devolved into what they are now.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just realized. These should say "Venturia's" and "travelers".

7. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

So the gods are Deep Sea Probes for exploring a (to the Titans) alien environment, but the Titans put so much autonomy in them that they hacked their controllers and put them into the Matrix (Hades) to be a thaumic power source.

Is Cronus eating his children an allegory for keeping them in a simulated environment and never letting them out in the real world? :)

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't think to.
    He isn't exactly a racist in the modern sense of the term. He wouldn't have any problem with Kaldur, for example.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not in my country, colonial.

9. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

I understood that reference !

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  10. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

The cats part is...Confusing. But at least Hecate is just as confused by it as everyone else. Releasing the titans carries the risk of a titanomachy and some of the gods can be trusted with their powers and most, if not all, don't want to go back to how things used to be but I think that Paul could find a solution but Erebos. That is a problem, even though there are other afterlives, the loss of one like the Greek underworld would be devastating and I'm sure that Paul will not allow the various souls within to dissipate or wander the Earth forever or have other afterlives deal with a refugee crisis. Yeah unless Paul finds a solution of keeping the underworld functioning then Erebos cannot be released.

11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It also leaves out the other pantheons entirely. Now, having Zeus and the Greek pantheon being the ones that grabbed the Titans (which I'd take a theoretical stab at existing as similar conceptual spots for the egyptian Kahndaqi and Norse groups) would explain WHY they're the pre-eminate non Abrahamic power on earth. The Titans themselves, like The Green and other magical aspects appears to be, is not limited to earth. They likely are a bit more universal, or spread between worlds as similar related aspects, while the gods are...local franchises I guess would be a good term. Releasing the Titans might just up the amount of magic in the known universe for all we know.

Honestly this is a rather scary prospect. Doing a Theological Dating Game to get a new Queen for Zeus might be easier to restore the status quo, but I don't know if thats even an option if OL keeps digging into the fundamentals of reality.

Huh....maybe just ask if Hectate is single...I figure a Triple Goddess might just let him cheat with another version of herself. Solves Both Issues.

12. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Where does that leave the Protogenoi, the Primordial Gods?

zeebza likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he still is a bigoted bastard and would probably have issues with Kaldur both because one of his parents isn't Atlantean and the other belongs to a group that got a non-pureblood alteration.

It's possible that some of the other pantheons could have similar situations with ancient gods like the Greeks do.

Lots of religions have the gods beating some older force and using said force in some way.

The Norse had Odin and his brothers beating Ymir and using his body to create the world.

The Aztecs also had some of their gods beat some Lovecraftian crocodile monster and use its body to make the world.

Maybe these things were other versions of the Titans.

They either don't exist or Zoat made them into Titans.

14. Mr Zoat

Several possible answers to that. Hecate could be lying, she could be dumbing it down, or the Greek authors who originally wrote about them might not have understood what they were being told.
    Not at all. It's a foolish lord who criticises a servant for serving.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So Ahri'ahn's less racist and more elitist?

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, if we're dealing with the more antagonistic aspect of Hecate, then yeah, I could see her lying, although so far we're seeing her in her helpful "Mother" form, not so much the bitter, vengeful "Crone" who wants to tear Hades, Hera, and Olympus as whole a new one for screwing her over in the past after all the help she gave the Olympians.

So perhaps it could indeed be that she's dumbing it down for Paul, not putting in any separation between the Titans and the more COSMIC Primordials.

Funny thing of course, Chronos (Time) and Nyx (Night) are basically the mother and father of the Endless. Perhaps Hecate could be trying to avoid drawing the attention of her peers?

17. Mr Zoat

Yes he's very elitist.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's both racist and elitist.

He'd be fine with someone he views as belonging to a lesser race, so long as they serve their "betters".

ChestBurster, Ardy, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

From what I remember Zoat stating before, it's about region.

Regional stereotyping.

A black Antlantean would be an "us," a white Tritonian would still be a "them."

He created the Atlantean races, as in mermen, octopus heads, human whales, etc, based on the regional stereotypes in his head.

So the races are just visual signals of his region based elitism.

Since Kaldur and his momma are almost perfectly human in appearance, I guess he thought whatever area they were from were almost equals.

It'd be like a wizard turning all Texans into minotaurs because "everyone knows" Texans are cowboys.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Source Wall, Source Wall, one way trip to the Source Wall.

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And this is why you don't re-write large portions of an extensive mythos so your SI can stomp around it as a unstoppable force.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Vaermina response.

Paul isn't an unstoppable force. He's just big enough to be able to dip his feet into the buisness of just about anyone and everyone, and just small enough that if he pisses off the wrong people, or goes about things too brashly, he will be taken out.

23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm pretty sure there was an episode about a version of Paul who was in the Cat world in like 10,000 BC or something.

EDIT: Here

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  24. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    07:03 GMT +3

"His power comes from the titan Aether? Where is it?" I mean, the only place-. "Is it in Olympus itself? Because the realm of the gods isn't at the literal peak of the mountain."

"No. That was at the start of the war. Zeus had nothing like the power to bind a titan like Aether." She looks thoughtful. "How much contact have you had with gods not of Olympus?"

"Little to none."

"Mm. Pity. The gods of India found a fascinating way to deal with their titans, though I doubt that you'd appreciate it."

"Why not?"

"Since they could not take the titans' power into themselves, they broke them down gradually to create a system. At one end, it is tethered by the titans. At the other, by the souls of mortal creatures, undergoing a constant cycle of life, death and rebirth. The gods would then draw power from the system, something far easier than taking power from the Dream. And less likely to render the one doing it malleable."

"Erebos allows reincarnation."

"It pales in comparison. How many shades do you think had the wherewithal to actually choose reincarnation? Besides, Erebos doesn't make value judgements about the moral quality of a person's life. Any shade being reincarnated would be reborn as a human, and the Waters of Lethe expunge all memory. It isn't part of the system and it wasn't planned."

"Okay, so..?"

She rolls her eyes dismissively. "Zeus was able to steal tiny amounts of Aether's power for himself, growing steadily stronger and stronger as Aether weakened. In the end, the conscious mind that was Aether collapsed back into the raw magic of the Dream, with Zeus having captured only a tiny fragment of him. But that was enough for him to rise in power and prominence."

"How did he work out how to do that? Zeus never struck me-"

She gives me an unimpressed look.

"-as-. You did it."

"There are limits to what the spell I devised can achieve. And I felt that having Zeus risk himself was better than taking the risk myself. He had the drive…"

I turn to Eris.

"So..?"

She slumps. "No. I wasn't born until after it was all over, remember? Or I'd totally have mainlined a chaos titan."

"Who got the chaos titans? Or chaos titan?"

"Chaos, duh. Punched a hole between parallel universes and made it their own thing."

I frown, curiously. "Why didn't you ever become a Lord of Chaos?"

She shrugs awkwardly. "If you're not all about raw power, it's not all that great a deal. You have to give up a lot, and there're a tonne of responsibilities…"

"You couldn't be bothered to put the work in."

"It didn't offer me anything I wanted! I actually kinda like being a goddess, and there wasn't anything I wanted to do that needed more power."

"'Kinda' like?"

"It's a lot less fun without worshippers, but that's fixed now." She grins, reaching up to pat me on the head. "Good work, Chaos Prophet."

"Didn't you have no worshippers for about two thousand years? And assuming that you're about as old as Hephaestus, you're only four thousand years old."

Eris fidgets awkwardly. "Three and a… Half. But I had other worshippers. There's always someone who wants to buck the system."

"Okay, so-" I look back at Hecate and-. She's ancient, paper-thin skin stretched across fragile bones, hair thin and dress just a sheet bound with a brooch. "-that was your maiden form."

"N-o, yo-u're assuming-"

I sigh, put my hands over my eyes and then turn in a circle. When I get back I'm looking at a child.

"-that I'm limited to a trinity of forms, when really I can look like anything I want."

"Lady Hecate, you can look like whoever you want. But if we return to the issue, Zeus… Doesn't have a currently alive titan he's drawing power from in the way Hades does Erebos?"

"No. He's got Metis stuck in his head. In theory she should give him wisdom."

"Is he just not listening, or..?"

The tiny child-goddess rolls her eyes. "I don't know. I was already down here by the time that happened."

"I see. That's why he's keeping the ones in Tartarus there, isn't it? So he can use their power in full."

"Not quite. He can't take power from Tartarus quite as easily as Hades can Erebos. But that is almost certainly why they're there." She sniffs. "Not that he can use all that power as things are."

I nod. "So that's quite a lot of power."

"Quite a lot of power and quite a lot of different abilities he can use if he puts his mind to it." She sniffs. "Not that I expect that he would. Still, I'm not sure where you'll find anyone who can fight him."

"No one comes to mind?"

She makes an amused noise. "If I had to select the person with the greatest chance of defeating him in the entire Hellenic mythos…"

I wait a moment.

"Yes?"

"I'd bet on you. But not with very much money."

"I assume that you still know the spell for stealing from or binding a titan?"

"It's more complex than just casting a spell. They tend to fight back. But yes, I do know it. Why?"

"Nothing yet. I'm just gathering information. Would you be willing to share it?"

"It's an interesting spell to cast. If you could find a situation for it, I would cast it for a trivial price."

"I appreciate that, thank you. And there's no one in the mythos who could fight Zeus?"

"Not presently. And if you're thinking about using the Tartarian prisoners to boost Hades or Melinoë, I will tell you now that Zeus will feel it and stop you."

"I expected, but thank you for confirming. Can-"

I turn around, and-. Canis has taken jars, their contents and their shelving and arranged them to form the image of himself and Brut mid-leap.

"-is-?"

"This is art attack!"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That link takes me back. I'm guessing Canis isn't impressed by the show?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember him kinda interacting with the Khandaq gods, and later meeting the servants of the Norse gods.

So I was right that other pantheons had their own Titans.

'than taking'

Yeah, in Hinduism you're reincarnated ijna life that can reflect your actions during a previous life, like being reincarnated in a rich family for leading a good life in the previous one or in a poor family for not being moral enough.

You can also be reincarnated into an animal as punishment.

Plus it may be possible to remember previous lives.

Ahh, laziness.

Big baby.

It's possible that he hasn't...ahhh...properly...digested...her.

You did once speculate that he could use all of them.

This is why you don't leave him alone!

27. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I'm getting Scion 1e vibes from this.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, BBJimmy and 4 others like this.
  28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Free Metis form Zeus's head and use the power of wisdom? Also, the I wonder if Hecate could help those Titan children Paul met before.

29. Mr Zoat

Needs more attacking.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Certain animals are seen as especially sacred. So I guess becoming them is a super reward.