1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Splinterface

Splinterface Getting sticky.

Hmmm, i can’t put my finger on why, but I feel like Paul is going to end up betrayed by one of the many moving parts this plans gonna require, but I can’t say which.

ChestBurster, Caerwen, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  2. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

So I suppose John(not Constantine) was wrong?

ChestBurster, Ardy and Jaron like this.
  3. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Mars was also a agricultural/fertility god, at least at first as later on he became not much different than Ares.

4. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, while he does call it Omelas…
    Paul also immediately goes: fuck Erebos, the afterlife is great. Paul’s self serving. His ring is orange.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know, on a 1 to 10 scale of stupid Paragon plans that's like an 18.

He's not just talking about enslaving an innocent to use as a battery.

But he has no idea what effects doing this might have on humanity.

Like, this is a Constantine level bad plan.

kerleth likes this.
  6. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Poor bastard. Don't tell me he still has feelings for her? And why would he focus on Ares first? He wasn't the one who cheated on him. I mean he deserves blame, nut he wasn't the one to break his vows?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well... Given Hecate wanted the Titan's freed and here Paragon comes wanting her to bind and imprison a newly born one...

It's not really much of a question about who will want to screw him over here...

It's more a question of why she would ever work with him on this plan in the first place...

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    He has spoken to him about this before.
    The emerging titan is not yet fully formed and is more a confluence of arcane forces rather than anything that has a mind.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You aren't making it better Mr Zoat...

In fact... You might have just made it worse because now there is a very very easy analogy that could be made about this...

10. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Oh man, the Justice league better put the metal to the petal and get moving on a solution. Paul’s efforts are starting to snowball into an avalanche. If they don’t get results in…let’s say 2 days. Then Paul’s probably gonna act first.

11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Parole cannot be offered to the Titans in Tartarus while Zeus is calling the shots. Paul is willing to consider parole for those Titans, but he does not want personal authority over Tartarus nor the responsibilities of a pantheon-head. On the current time scale and with his range of acceptable risk he must build up an existing divinity to Zeus’s level, which leaves him a small number of practical contractors. Transferring that authority away from Zeus will require a strategy and said strategy has a high likelihood of devolving into violence.

Now for Machine!Titan- if a baby which exhales poison is born, no one would call it child abuse to seal the baby in an air-tight room at times. The Machine!Titan may cause mass death on accident and it will be capable of intentional catastrophe immediately after birth. Making it sit still and think while in Hephaestus’ divine baby jail sounds quite logical to me. Teach it, let it commune with Diana and sane deities. Hephaestus or whichever ruler(s) take Zeus’ place will have the authority to set parole for the Machine!Titan just as they would the Titans in Tartarus.

We recently learned that Titans do not perceive the same way has humans or gods, so declaring the containment system for the Machine!Titan horrible or unethical would be damned hard to back up. Hephaestus has not talked about any long term goals with said power. There is no reason (which would fit his character as we know it) he should sit on the power permanently like Poseidon and Hades do. Don’t assume he’ll be corrupted by the power when Paul the soon-to-be Usurper of Zeus will keep an eye on him.

12. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

Was wondering about the name dropping by Heph too.

you're associating the 'imprisonment' and the 'empowering' aspects when it's been shown in story that a god can draw on a titan without the cage aspect. I expect that Paul intends to 'slot' Hephaestus into the dreamspace between humanity and the arising titan rather than let a new God arise while Earth thaumosphere is thrown into disarray by the awakening of the Titan, from hints in the last chapters.

13. Liquid Night

Liquid Night Getting sticky.

Aw hell yes, my favourite Greek God of Hades, really hope he goes with this. Even if not to oppose Zeus, would be great to have him be in a better place.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  14. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

And this also feels forced to me.
    I mean, it was never his only option.
    He could have gone to the honden, and been one with all the desires of the mutiverse.
    His choosing to bind himself to the Greek afterlife always felt arbitrary and dumb to me.

And this episode, we find he as also stupid about it.
    Because he obviously didn't do the research.

And this here now, just feels like a sunk cost fallacy, and doubling down on the stupid.
    Because if his issue is 'ya gots to have a self aware afterlife' and being a dreamlike shade is inacceptable.

Stop being lazy and taking the 'powered by a forsaken child' option, get off your ass, put in the work, and find or make a better solution.

I mean the Silver City has fully aware inhabitants, and isn't powered by imprisoned Titans.
    Inmates in Hell are also full aware (to the horror of most of them)
    He could have went ahead with taking over Hell and making it a decent place, and solved two birds with one stone.

And that neglects the fact that even in this story, before Hades started linking souls to Erebus, some of the dead did in fact have full cognitive abilities in their own right. The exceptional ones, the heroes. So, maybe look into isolating the how and why of that and duplicating it. Arcane infusers perhaps, pumping mana into souls?

The whole thing just comes off as lazy of some sort or other.

Chaoswind and Vaermina like this.
  15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That's something I was actually considering last week with my jumpchain character.

WTR Jumpdoc.
    Origin: Mage

Perks
    200 Expanded Metaphysique [x15]
    200 Bandwidth and Wavelength [The Metal]
    300 Alchemy [Titan of Technology]
    400 Domain [Technology]
    400 Jolly Cooperation
    600 Nature of the Soul

I forget how Prometheus is portrayed in WTR, is he a titan like he is in myth, or a mortal who became a god? Because drawing power from him would be decent as well. Although, if he's a titan in DC, given his domain of forethought, it's likely that he's already in use by Athena.

Imagine if Heph was drawing power from both.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Prometheus hasn't showed up yet.

He's been mentioned as a potential patron for Paul and later a priestess of Hades mentioned Herakles freeing him from the eagle.

I think Zoat mentioned Paul meeting him in the future.

17. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

I hear "Titan of Technology", I think "Autochthon", then I think "Plugging Hephaestus into Autochthon equals Mondo Bad Idea".

18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's really more 'early term aborting Autochthon and then harvesting the foetus for stem cells'.

19. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Let me rephrase. Putting ANYTHING of Autochthon into ANYTHING that isn't a mortal, preferably a mortal human, is a Mondo Bad Idea.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Going one on one with Ares before confronting Zeus would even be a good warning shot. If it's the curbstomp we'd expect.

Hmm, which Greek god presides over programming? The three virtues of a programmer would tend to shake things up. Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris.

21. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I like this plan I'm happy to be a part of it.
    [​IMG]

22. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

That is a triumph

23. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

[​IMG]
    "Fool. You don't even know what lightning is. You've never heard of an electron. You don't know about voltage or current. Fire and electricity are the same force. It powers the minds of mortals. It lets machines think. It powers the industries of man. And you... throw it as a... ugh... a pointy stick. I am a god of the forge, and your claim to the domain of electricity disgusts me. Hit me again! I have more electric furnaces smelting ore than you could ever hope to power."
    "What?!"
    "...the factory must grow."

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Has snowflame appeared in this story?

I'm making a note here; huge success.

25. RamiroGalletti

RamiroGalletti Making the rounds.

soo...out of curiosity, where do the " decendants of hepasthus " fit into this? because a few of them have "nice domains" (euthenia has prosperity for example)

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sadly no.

They haven't been mentioned yet.

The only child of Hephaestus that was mentioned was the one he had with Athena.

Cuchulin, RamiroGalletti and Ardy like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know...

I think we should change his name to "Lawful Evil" Paul after this...

Cuchulin and Istaran like this.
  28. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Anyone know how long it takes for spider guilders to biologically mature? I really want to see princess again.

Cuchulin, RamiroGalletti and Vorian like this.
  29. asparagus

asparagus Know what you're doing yet?

Reminds me a little of the Young Justice SI where they form a Technology/AI version of The Green and The Red.

Bud-E likes this.
  30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Why? At worst, I’d say Neutral.
    In this context Paul is refusing to save Erebos for the sake of his plan, but that doesn’t mean that he is never going to fix it; just that it isn’t a priority. Also, I don’t think Paul really cares about Erebus for his own sake, since as you say he has other options, and that’s if he ever even dies permanently, which seems unlikely.

Cuchulin likes this.