1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Not quite. There isn't a fixed price that has to be paid, you have to negotiate a contract, and the patent holder is within their rights to demand royalties of $100 billion per ship.

However, there is an exception for the government itself, particularly the military. For military purposes, the government can start using it immediately and work out a price the courts will declare "fair" later. And there's no chance of holding out for extortionate royalties like $100 billion per that way; Lex is lucky to get $1 million per at that point.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You may want to reconsider that word.

3. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

It's imprecise and potentially misleading so I'll change it, but the phrase 'in a world where X' is an expression, so when used as an expression It's still acceptable.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

So the removal of the ban on weapons in space doesn't have a proper replacement but a 'please don't put it over our heads' suggestion?

The launch and ascent stages of conventional rockets would have whatever doomsday weapons over just about everyone's heads, and assuming that 'not over other people' refers to a geostationary orbit over a specific country despite no nations able to claim that airspace....oh boy the legal and political nightmares that would lead to....wow. Not to mention the problems with existing orbital infrastructure.

Getting a proper united nations space fleet to seed orbital defenses to would almost look good vs the utter shitshow trying to piece meal such things together would be like. The Sheeda invasion must have made a hell of an impact to get the world heading in such a direction.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

What happened with the King of Tears? I remember that bit with Johnny Sorrow on Themyscira was really neat, but then it didn’t seem to go anywhere. Was it because Klarion died, and he was the only one crazy enough to try a plan like that?

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Like, earwax?

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Just reread that bit of archive. Klarion was involved in the initial approach but he was long dead on Renegade side by the time they were ready to summon it. Everyone in the Light but Lex voted for the summoning plan - Mordru, his replacement, included. I think the same happened on Paragon's side, with Satanus instead of Mordru.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    07:16 GMT +3

"Paul!" Hera smiles broadly, looking me over for… Reasons I'm not entirely certain about. "I understand that my ex-husband has a rapidly shortening life-expectancy. Will it hurt a lot?"

I drop onto her patio, then walk over to her breakfast table. She's wearing a 'conservative with an edge' nightdress with an open dressing gown, and without wanting to be crude-

"It's okay. You can think it."

-I've started playing 'Stacy's Mom' in my head.

"Sit." She points to the chair opposite. "Sit!"

"Thank you." I pull out the wooden chair and sit down opposite her. "Things have not yet reached that stage. How did..? You know-"

She's rolling her eyes.

"-what I was thinking? Because I'm warded and I'm trained to resist telepathic intrusion."

She looks at me like a mildly disappointed primary school reception teacher, and shakes her head.

"You should have thought of that before you started worshipping Olympians. You've moved in with your lover, haven't you?"

…whose domain is marriage and the family.

"I thought so. The other thing was obvious; I know perfectly well what effect I have on men who like women. So?"

"So.. Jade or so Zeus?"

"Both, of course."

"Yes, we're co-habiting, and it's… We're not on the same schedule and it's a bit awkward, but I-" I nod. "-prefer it. Prefer her being there andBeing there myself."

"And how does she feel about it?"

"A bit like she's intruding in her own house sometimes. And other times she just sort of relaxes-. I guess it's like a cat, where you know it's decided that it likes you when it jumps on your lap and goes to sleep. Jade's the sleep-with-one-eye-open type, and sometimes she'll do this whole… Alert-and-check-for-threats thing, but she instinctively doesn't include me, which is-. I know how big a deal that is for her."

"A little unusual, but promising, considering the circumstances. And the other thing?"

"Zeus 'asked' Diana to go to Tartarus 'coincidentally' after she turned down his offer of marriage-."

"Hah!"

"I imagine it's less funny for me."

"Come now! He's gone from being able to seduce princesses while in the form of a swan-" She pulls a face. "-of all things, to having this princess refuse his offer to become queen!"

"Oh, I'd be fine with laughing at Zeus if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going to have to deal with it. Look… You don't have any leverage with-?"

"No. Not. One. Bit. He has no shame, so there are no stories, foibles or failings that I can threaten to share. Everyone already knows his true nature, so I can't threaten to reveal it. And I'm sure that an enterprising young man like yourself has already worked out the thing with the titans."

"Yes. Can-?"

"Why didn't I mention it when you first raised the matter with Hephaestus? Well, I didn't see how it was relevant. And Zeus hadn't gotten around to cutting me off then."

"And he has now."

"And he has now. Of course he has. Oh, don't look like that. I had no idea he was going to try to spread his slime all over Diana. I have no use for the extra power, so why would I mention it?"

"But you're familiar with power transfers from titan to god, having used it yourself for quite a while."

"It's not really that interesting."

"It is to me."

She fixes her eyes on me, mouth grinning. "Young man, are you doing something duplicitous?"

"Duplicitous? No. I'm fairly open and direct. Apropos of nothing, might I suggest that now is a good time to visit Hecate?"

"Why?"

"She's having a pool party with a few interested parties. Could be fun."

"A pool party in the Styx?"

"They've found a way to purify it and extract some sort of horrifying poison from the now-safe water."

Hera frowns. "And you think I should pay her a visit?"

"Indeed."

"Alright then. We're between filming sessions so I can spare the time. Let me just go and-" She pushes her chair back and stands up. "-throw something on."

"Do you require transportation?"

"No, I can find my way quite well, thank you. Off you go. I'm sure that you're busy working on this whole situation."

I stand, and give her a shallow bow. "Thank you. Oh, and in the event that something unfortunate happened to Zeus, would you be interested in returning to your former station?"

She opens her mouth to respond, then suddenly a thoughtful look comes over her face and she closes it again, frowning.

"Do you know, I don't think I am. Even with everything that's happened lately, it's a fairly empty title. And I'd have to give up this." She looks around at her house, a little distractedly. "And that nice Mister Blake would hardly be able to interact with me at all."

"Glad to hear that you're getting on so well."

"It's nice to spend time with a man who is so emotionally mature. Now, be off with you."

I nod,

disappearing from her garden and

27th October 2012
    12:20 GMT +8

reappearing in a workshop in China, a disturbingly short distance from their prison for uncooperative metahumans. Sensor dampening equipment covers the interior wall while war robot production facilities fill the rest of the space. All automated, and… Minimal warding.

Back on Earth Prime, the idea that 'Nationalist China' could ever take back the rest of the country is ludicrous. I'm not sure who didn't get the message in Taiwan Sixteen, but once I've shut this place down quietly then Batman can take as long as he needs to find out. Without starting World War Three.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Broken text making all the text violet.

Edit: Ninja'd

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm actually enjoying seeing Paul interact with Hera. I wish we could see her give Paul more advice or have him make small talk like this more often.

How is Captain Comet taking the whole dating a goddess thing? Is he genuinely interested, or just thinking of seeing how this all plays out?

ChestBurster, Sojiko, Vorian and 18 others like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

The King of Tears is still out there somewhere, but without Johnny Sorrow it doesn't have easy access to Earth.

12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

If Captain Comet and Hera have a falling out, Mr. Blake should spend some time with Alan Scott. Alan’s surface thoughts and leaky lantern could help him recenter himself.

13. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

I was never sure whether that was meant to be Tears as in crying, or as in ripping, or both?

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Still feeling a little vindictive towards her brother and former husband, eh? I suppose that's a little useful in this situation. Though it's unlikely she'll want anything to do with the throne. The smart ones know that's a poisoned chalice...

Heh. Bet she's well aware when her guests are undressing her in their heads. Never mind the naughtier side of her fandom.

Goddess, remember. And someone in a committed relationship, heading for marriage? Definitely well within her divine wheelhouse.

Sometimes, OL, you can do so dense.

Which apparently counts enough as 'marriage' for her domain to kick in.

Useful for pegging the fellows who might have wandering eyes, eh? And she'll no doubt let them know her opinion of them.

After all, your pleasure is her business... But not that kind of pleasure. :oops: That's Aphrodite's field.

And quite the commute for work, even if he can teleport.

You and your catgirls, even if it's only behavioural. Good to see Hera approves, though. Her blessing is bound to be helpful.

Yeah, he dun goofed. In so many ways this time.

Don't forget the not-even-mammalian 'Shower of Gold'. It's like the god has a transformation fetish...

Props to him for not giving a fuck about anyone's opinion, at least. Pity he's such a bastard otherwise.

Oh, that's petty. He probably told her 'If you're not my wife, you're not Queen. So you don't need the power of a queen, do you?'

And she's still got plenty of 'worshippers' now. Even if it isn't quite the same, or that worship plays that much part in their power...

But it's not like you wouldn't have it back if you could manage it, right?

...Do you know who you're talking to, Missus? :p

Heheh. Subtle as a brick to the face, eh, OL?

The Lethe, actually.

Never know when you might need some mystical potency.

And I'm picturing... A sling bikini. (May not be entirely safe for work, some nipples in another pic...)

That's putting it mildly.

Poisoned. Chalice. No sane god would want the throne of Olympus.

Though a little concerning about Captain Comet, unless she's just exaggerating for dramatic effect...

As noted, she can probably pick every man on her staff with wandering eyes.

Oooh, the eastern hemisphere?

Good luck with that. Perhaps disguise it as a simple industrial accident? Hardly a shortage of them, if 'Rekt' video threads are anything to go by.

Interesting choice to touch base with Hera. But if Zeus is likely to lose his throne out of all this, she would have been a logical choice to take it. Glad she's smart enough not to put that kind of target on her back. Seriously, I bet the only reason the children of Zeus haven't started a war yet is fear of him... :confused: And if he's de-powered, that threat is gone...

mastermenthe, Vorian, Finerc and 14 others like this.
  15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Didn't the leaky lantern go to Paul and become orange?

17. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Honestly, the best solution would probably be Métis, Themis and/or Athena, with Heph as the big stick that conveniently doesn’t actually give much of a shit about politicking.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wouldn't you be after everything Zeus has done.

Some Paul's are dating literal catgirls.

Not necessarily.

Olympians can kill humans with their true forms, so maybe Hera doesn't want that extra power since she could accidentally harm him.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

he -> she

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Uhhh... Correct me if i'm wrong, but Paul is currently planning on empowering Hephaestus so that he can overthrow/kill Zeus, at which point he could take over as King of the Greek Pantheon. Wouldn't asking Hera, Hephaestus' sole parent, if she wants to be Queen again be a little... awkward?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're the Greek gods.

It wouldn't be the weirdest thing they've done.

Hephaestus is married to a woman that can be considered either as his sister or as his great aunt.

23. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

That's just ONE plan.
    There's even a minor chance that Zeus gets to keep his position in a reduced capacity. I mean, he's not, because this is a story, and Zeus's fall even makes a nice greek-style fable about pride, hubris and vengeance.

24. Mr Zoat

No, he's empowering Hephaestus so he can defeat Zeus. What happens after that is up in the air.

25. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

What kind of filming is Hera doing?

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If I remember correctly, she's currently working as a television presenter.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 1 other person like this.
  27. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I like this version of Hera.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  28. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Wow that takes me back. Have you seen what happened to Stacy's Dad?

Seems the whole family has it going on.

Ardy likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Saw it while looking for that video.

"Since your mom came out your dad could use a guy like me!"

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'storied'