1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The first time Jade visited Alan (before Grundymen attacked) Alan was suffering a control issue- he was pushing Hope into people around him.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat Has Paul introduced Cheryl Constantine to her long-lost son yet?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

No.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's exactly what happened in the comics when Zeus died.

But LePaul seems to be dead set on ignoring all the long term consequences, confirmed or speculative, of his plan to remove Zeus.

Though... He also seemingly missed Hera's warning that Zeus probably know's he's coming...

Chojin Patriarch and Bud-E like this.
  6. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Well this is a Hera that is now happily divorced from Zeus it makes sense that this version of Hera much more likeable.

7. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    18:11 GMT +3

"So are you saying it isn't possible, or..?"

"No." / "It…" / "Yes, but…"

I hold up my hands to try and bring order to the proceedings, and the Gods of Olympus carry on as if I did nothing.

"…network stability, so…" / "…viable solution to…" / "…fun, so you could…"

Hephaestus is not impressed with the work so far. As far as I could gather, the fact that the embryonic titan isn't cohesive means that the normal spells for draining it risk funnelling the whole thing into him, causing the same overwrite issues that were the reason that he turned this down the first time I brought it up.

"…fundamental problem…" / "…study each of…" / "…leap sometimes and I think…"

Which means that the whole system needs to be reworked in order to do what it's supposed to and not dissolve him. Hecate thinks the plan is basically fine and is getting increasingly frustrated that no one has the level of thaumaturgy education that would allow them to see that. Neither Eris or Hera have really studied the subject and Hephaestus knows enough to be extremely cautious.

"…use it yourself if you…" / "…weak level, and then…" / "…need it on for anyway, I..."

She also wants to plug him in and study the result. He's understandably not keen, and honestly I'm not either. That sounds like something that Zeus could detect, and I… Even if it didn't hurt him, doing that sort of study carefully could take a long time and Diana's in Tartarus now. Eris on the other hand-

"…basic scientific method…" / "…warding would easily…" / "…kinda boring right now."

-just wants oh dear.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, is this a problem in which your most humble servant might aid you?"

Eris frowns. "My most humble servant's this guy in Denmark, and he's…" She shakes her head. "Yeah, he's humble for a reason. You could get him, but I don't think he'd be able to actually help at all."

Hephaestus takes that in his stride. "Paul was offering to help. I suppose that if you could get a few Atlantean-"

Hecate looks put out. "That is not necessary, because-"

"-experts, so they could go over Oceanus's prison before we do anything else, that would be helpful."

"I really meant-."

"-they don't understand the Dream and none in living memory have studied titans."

"Is there anything I could get you that would make the current system more reliable? Reliable to the point where you could use it as-is?"

Eris and Hera raise their eyebrows, though with Eris it's expectation that something interesting is going to happen while with Hera it's increasing frustration at these unruly Olympians.

"No." / "I doubt it."

"If you could describe what you need? No offence intended here, but I do get out and about rather more than both of you."

"An energy regulator." / "Something that could maintain an arcane connection with everything feeding the nascent titan."

Neither of those sound particularly difficult.

"Hephaestus first. Could you please explain exactly what you mean?"

"Manually controlling arcane power is as complex or as simple as you make it. A normal magician will have a feel for what they can handle directly, and if they lose control then bad things happen to them. As gods, we can handle a lot more power than all but the greatest archmages-"

Hecate- "Hmpf." -disagrees.

"-and in our domains even more than that. But we're talking about a titan whose existence is defined by the entire modern era. That's far more than I can handle."

"I thought you'd just be drawing the power as needed."

"No, I would be drawing more as needed. I would be drawing at least some power constantly as soon as the connection was made."

"Okay. So you need something that can help you… Internalise it?"

"No, if I internalise it then we're back to me dissolving myself in a font of primal energy. I would need something that can precisely control how much energy comes through. Not just limit to a small proportion of the total. Something that can say 'this amount and no more'."

Hm.

"Okay, I think I can find one. Give me a few minutes."

I raise my right hand to-.

"Everyone knows you're putting it on!" Eris points to me with her right forefinger. "Dragon Ball Z is shit!"

I lower my right hand, give her a slightly hurt look, then

step out and

reappear in… The containment centre on Maltus, Hinon's eyes moving to me for a fraction of a second as she does something with the machinery around the recumbent form of Larfleeze, which then regains her full attention.

"Yes? What is it?"

"Do you still have Meadlux's old power ring prototype?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Could I please have it?"

"I meant 'what do you want it for'."

"I'm trying to drain energy from a titan to upgrade one of my favourite gods after-."

"No. Stop. Earth. Yes. Is whatever you're doing likely to cause a problem for the rest of the universe?"

"No?"

"Oh, take the blasted thing." The ring floats out of her robes and over to me. "And keep notes."

"Thank you." I-.

You know what? Fuck Eris! I raise my right hand to my forehead

and

return to Hecate's home, holding the ring out to Hephaestus.

"Is this any good?"

Eris notices where my hand was and looks away, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. I raise my index and middle fingers at her. Hephaestus on the other hand takes the ring and stares at it hard.

"I'm.. not sure. Hecate?"

Space around the ring warps and glows as she applies arcane power to the ring. Which seems completely unaffected.

"It… Might? What is it? Where did you get it?"

"From a friend. What else do you need?"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  8. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Weren't they going to give that back to the greenies? Did the Guardians decide they don't care?

9. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Screw the tyranny of the gods! Do what you want, Paul.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I'm surprised Hinon didn't call him on the obvious lie.

BookZone, Relyt33, w34v3r and 8 others like this.
  11. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

While I wouldn't say trash, DBZ is definitely overhyped. Significant for it's time of course but for every good innovation, there was a bad one.

12. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Okay, before now I just sort of tolerated her, but now I actually like Eris. I don't agree, mind, but it's about fucking time someone called him out for being a weeb.

13. BlueMangoAdea

So the other thing has been prepared. Anyone know what this could be?

14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Chekov's Armory gets called in. That thing had honestly slipped my mind. Always figured it was gonna get used by a greenie during a 'shit hits the fan and Guy's busy' moment.

Interesting idea, since the concept of 'godlings first bike' training wheels does actually fit the current situation, if you remember that the mathusians are a great deal older then the gods of earth.

The Ring is older then any tech on earth, and in fact older then most races in the universe. It's got protections hardwired in that are not 'dumb it down for the mortals' but 'keep the all powerful baby from evaporating a star system'. Not a bad way to tether a Titan.

So, what's the second half? Something to connect to all tech on a low level.....hmm Red Rocket's Armor has Technopathy. Doubt he'd want to give it up, even if the bosses would even consider it.

15. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Hey, I was all for that the moment she appeared in the story. So was she, really, given all the attempts to get into Paragon's pants.

16. BlueMangoAdea

The Spear of Destiny might work for connecting to everyone, now that I think about it. A bit risky, though.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'that was'

'to me'

She really knows him.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

'Ask three Eldar a question, get six different answers. And all of them will terrify you.' Well, this is clearly going swimmingly. Let me guess, the subject has objection, the scientist has an indifference to said objections, and the comedian just wants to see something happen..

Might need to raise you voice, OL. Or employ gags.

Now, to be fair, that is a significant concern. If anything goes wrong, you lose a valuable ally, and whatever comes to from out of the wreckage might not be someone you like.

Lady, most gods are not built to drink straight from the fire-hose of a Titan's energy, got it? :rolleyes: And Eris, keep the swimsuit on, please?

...Better head that off right now, OL. A bored goddess of mischief is never conducive to safe practices.

'Humble', you are not, OL.

Not helping, Eris. :rolleyes: How about you sit down, brew up some popcorn and wait for the fireworks?

Ah, she has a low opinion of mere mortal researchers, I see?

Well, to be fair, most of the Titans are locked away, or very much not interested in playing guinea pig...

Well, she probably does remember when they were mere babes-in-arms, so to speak. From her perspective, this is probably just like a couple of toddlers squabbling.

And you have some very experienced allies who could probably lend a hand on this subject. Ones very used to dealing with large exotic energy entities...

Heck, you could even make it Lantern-shaped, if you wanted to.

'Bad things' generally involving setting loose interdimensional entities, wild magical discharges, or simply exploding in such a way as to leave a singed pair of shoes behind? :p

Now, now, Hecate. Not everyone has millennia to study all the ins-and-outs of their chosen subject...

Going back to my fire-hose analogy, even the slightest nudge of open faucet is quite a flow...

...Now, gee, why does that concept sound so gosh-darn familiar?

Heh. Mister Chekhov, would you get that gun down off the mantelpiece for us?

Opinion inferior and thus rejected! :cool: It's a matter of style, after all.

Wonder how he's coming along. It has been quite a while since we heard anything about him...

Ah, the good old 'training wheels for phenomenal cosmic power'...

Are you sure you want to know? It'll mean a stinker of a headache...

...Has OL actually stopped to ask his experts that question?

No need to say '...If you survive.' We know he will. He's like a cockroach in that respect.

Damn straight! :V Toriyama knew his stuff was cool. And it's a clear signal to other people that he's about to do something, instead of just blinking out like a disconnected MMO player.

Heh. If he pulls this off, he might just well be able to comprehend a Power Ring... Given Earth's sometimes bullshit level of technological knowledge.

'You're still a weeaboo, Fanta-boy.' And acting just as she would expect him to act, I bet.

Maltusian arcanotechnology laughs at your petty imagined divisions of nonclamenture. :cool:

Don't forget, she wanted notes. I'm sure Hecate can provide a textbook's worth of theory for Hinon's examination.

Well, one step closer to his goal... And possibly what may end up being an ersatz Titanic Power Ring of sorts. Still, Hinon did raise a good point. Will this only affect Earth's thaumosphere, or could we see the effects spread elsewhere? Unfortunately, with OL's desire for haste, proper scientific procedure is going to get forgotten, I think. Let's hope it doesn't end up biting everyone's ass.

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The Gods: it will never work!

Paul: have some god level training wheels. Next.

Something that can maintain a connection to all tech on the planet at the same time.

Maybe a really old piece of technology would do? As a spiritual predecessor to all modern technology?

Also also: what would happen if a god becomes a Lantern?

20. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Shut your whore mouth!!!"

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

An excited goddess of mischief isn't conductive to safe practices.

No siree.

That's basically all that Paul brings her.

Nope.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Then they'd use a power ring and their own mystic power.

Though they may be able to somehow enhance the ring.

When Renegade was wearing a ring he could add his divine essence to it so that it could bypass things like wards.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Pretty much how I feel about Shakespeare.
    She wasn't specifically trying to get into his pants. She wanted to introduce chaos and change into his life.
    Thank you, corrected.

24. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

This is sadly the first time I realized what he was doing. I press on my temples to concentrate and thought Paul has been doing that to visualize his target better this whole time.

25. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, that's fair. I'm not a big fan of most of the classics play wise. Frustrated my Mom and her one woman quest to ensure I was a cultured child.

Still if you want someone who is truly overrated, Henry David Thoreau, particularly Walden. I had an English (American) Literature teacher who swore by him in grade school.

26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

It's Earth's Tech Titan. Earth is not the first thaumically active planet which places importance on technology. Alstair has been using it for longer and so has Mars.

Sure, Earth is more central and influential in the Dream, but it's Titans never had galactic levels of power.

Hell, in Zoat's version they don't even seem to have power over the whole planet, what with various pantheons each having defeated and chained their own Titans despite said Titans by necessity having shared domains at some point. Else the power of the Norse gods wouldn't be as varied and overlapping with those of the Greco-Roman ones.

Although to be fair, how that could have possibly worked in the age of the Titans when Oceanus can reach all coasts of the Atlantic while there are other "Titans" of the sea even just in Greek mythology (Pontus, Thalassa), let alone all the other mythologies that count as "true" on Earth-16 is anyone's guess.

27. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

What if Earth is just a combination of several different Earths, that each originally only had a single pantheon?

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe Oceanus could overpower those other Titans, or they all had some deal with each other, or they simply didn't care.

Relyt33 likes this.
  29. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I thought the Justice League didn't police governments like that?

Where unless they wanted to take over and start ruling the world, they didn't get into stuff like deciding whether 'should country A be allowed to invade country B because country A doesn't like how country B is run' Especially when country B is some place like China.

Cuchulin, Doccer, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

You could make a case that the League shouldn't have involved itself if it was official Taiwan government policy, but it's not. It's a rogue general and some politicians. Plus, the League has a stong anti-WW3 position.