1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

…Okay the sheer ease and level of rolling over backwards for paul is starting to get real annoying, i feel like there’s there no tension no reason to be worry, there is no beating paul, there is no outsmarting him, there is no one who can stop him.

2. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

It's like she played Stellaris at release to the first expansion and has only just picked it back up again.

Damn it Paradox, my hate/love/hate relationship with you springs eternal!

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, there's a relatively obscure religion for you. Outside of the Middle East, at any rate. Wonder if those deities are still around, or if they're in exile since the rise of Islam. At any rate, it looks like Hecate didn't get along with their goddess of Magic...

Not that some of the people in the room will understand that reference, OL.

Ah, Hecate's one of those people who gets annoyed at people making jokes she doesn't get, eh?

Oh, girl, you are in for quite the education.

Neatly summarised, OL. I'm impressed by your brevity.

Don't let Hinon hear you say that about her...

That's cute. A Maltusian doesn't hit puberty in that time...

Multiple orders of magnitude, folks. In both age and power. Not feeling like big fish right now, huh? :p

Sadly, Morpheus would have reclaimed his Sand, Helm and Ruby long ago.

So, where to this time? Got to love how fast travel makes a mockery of fetch quests.

'Oh no, what is it this time?' is in line with her thoughts, I bet.

I suspect someone is going to be very busy checking the warding spells on the place...

...Ah, right, invisibility to magical detection. But not simple mundane means.

Well, then. Going straight for the biggest gun in your inventory, eh?

I bet several are 'detect mind control on subject' that just fizzled against his scry warding. And possibly one 'detect madness'.

So, something of an amicable secession, then. Good to hear that turned out well.

Otherwise, it could be a little awkward explaining his intentions.

Now, now, don't underestimate the lady. She may not be a goddess, but that doesn't mean she's uneducated.

...'Today'? OL, are you planning something else, however peripherally?

That's only because Hitler's mages were shit at their job, and couldn't use it properly.

But it shouldn't take them long to work that out.

...Does it matter? He wants to do it this way, and that's that...

Better than upsetting him and having him take it by force. Sure, that's unlikely, but it's possible.

Even discounting Hecate's followers... Let Persephone have a cuddle and he'll be safer than... Well, something very safe indeed.

And the odds that Orin will say no... Well, OL will understand that his head will be the first to roll if Artur gets hurt, so...

And yet another piece in the complicated moving object that will be this ritual... I can just picture Murphy rubbing his hands together in glee at the sheer potential for mayhem. It'll be even worse if they successfully buff Hephaestus, get to Olympus and Zeus just goes 'Oh, right, that? Eh, she can leave. I forgot why I sent her there anyway. By the way, have you seen this 'Internet' thing yet? So many naked women!' :D

4. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

I get the weirdest sensation that Paul has inadvertently created a new female super group.

5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Personally, I'd be more concerned about Paul's influence through the spear than any gods or titans.
    Phrasing.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So lets see... His plan now involves both.

A) Sacrificing an unborn child.

And

B) Brainwashing all of humanity.

THIS IS A BAD PLAN!

7. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

If there was such a person I would not expect Zeus to be that person.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup, it's kind of silly at this point how he can convince people with real concerns to go along with him with only a single sentence that doesn't actually address their concerns.

Only because Zoat went out of his way to nerf Zeus in a multitude of different ways.

KenNM, cerberus beasty and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Damn. Forget getting out more meaning off planet, she needs to get out if her own house more!
    Pfft! That's not old. You're barely more than a young teenager to a Maltusian! They predate Earth!
    Reminds me of that With Hunter movie when Vin Diesel snorts at the other guys comment about old then points out a local event that happened well before he was born. And says to him that's old.
    Lady! Don't even try. There is a wealth of incredible things happening just outside your home that could fill you with wonder if you'd only take a step outside your door
    I still wouldn't. Hecate might not want to give it up. And it's only limitations seem to be as the narrative requires. And you aren't in the headspace to do anything rational.

KenNM, Vorian, Alexandercctv and 4 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And the line if thought of anyone that has interacted with Paul.

Were you expecting them to be competent?

Because if you were then I have some magic beans I would like to sell you!

Glenn Quagmire agrees with this sentiment.

11. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Mr Zoat I believe this should say billion instead of million. Also, love this reaction. In the event Paul intentionally used the word “million” here, how might they have reacted if Paul mentioned his immediate boss is over four billion years old and personally remembers when Despair of the Endless died?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Let me expand my answer.

That sounds like a really stupid story.

We surface dwellers can farm fish. We do it in tanks and we do it in lakes. We do this despite drowning if we spend a few minutes underwater.

That story requires me to equate the real-world die off off fish stocks to what would happen if an intelligent magical civilisation existed.

An intelligent people who could farm more. Or use magic to alter water chemistry. Or change their diet. Or trade.

Of course, all that pales in comparison to the clip I saw of them helping mass murderer Klarion get a new familiar, so I don't think I'm missing much.
    There are multiple millions inside a billion.

Expanding risks disbelief.

13. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

My understanding is that the Shark people were simply using the harm from surface dweller pollution as an excuse to justify their attacks. The actual motivation seemed to be a rather simplistic depiction of the Shark people as violence obsessed savages. I do like the idea of Atlantean politicians using the need to respond to the legitimate misdeeds of the surface dwellers as a means of supporting their own internal schemes or undermining King Orin. It is a pity that this idea was not further explored and they instead went for a generic story of scary monster people attacking the innocent and attractive mermaids. There was no real nuance to the conflict or attempt to show the Shark people as anything more than brutish thugs. The story also simply took for granted that peaceful diplomatic pressure would be effective at reducing pollution and that any military action would be completely immoral. This is another disappointment as I think you could have a really great justification for a DC "Civil War" story arc by having King Orin take forceful action to combat pollution and thus spark conflict between those heroes who believe it is appropriate for them to directly interfere with human civilization and those who believe they should act as purely neutral guardians.

I actually liked how they treated this partnership with Klarion. The series had some great flashback scenes showing all of Klarion's horrific misdeeds. The writers are clearly taking advantage of their new platform to explore gory details that would previously have been impossible to show or even talk about. It is made clear that Klarion is responsible for an unparalleled level of death and human suffering. This is a big contrast to his original appearance where the human cost of splitting the world was almost completely ignored and he is treated as just another traditional villain. The status of Klarion as an unredeemable monster is never challenged and the heroes only become willing to help him when it becomes clear that the new Chaos Lord (Child and her familiar Flaw) represent an otherwise unstoppable force that is on a path towards destroying the world. The challenge of convincing Nabu to overcome his (completely justified) hatred of Klarion is a major part of the story.

FourthPear likes this.
  14. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

You've already been proven wrong on both counts. Please stop Vaerminaposting. I finally broke the habit of watching High Noon and I don't wanna get sucked back in.
    (Though I do agree on it being a bad plan. Too many moving poorly-understood parts.)

15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Paul is a hero to Atlantis specifically- he cleaned up a lot of floating trash, helped stop the doomsday threat that was that aquatic titan, was vital to the Disappearance disaster, and is known to slay demons. And he has helped their economy.

The Spear of Destiny specifically has been used in the modern era and Atlantis has access to more research on the Dream now than in the last few millennia. To top it all off… Magic users have an odd take on “responsible handling of dangerous items.” Feel free to include deities in that definition since they have all sorts of barely-guarded magical items in their mythology.

Paul is a walking headache, but at least a few people (on Earth) ought to rank him with Superman for his heroism. We just don’t see that side of his impact in Mr Zoat’s chapters.

KenNM, Vorian, FourthPear and 5 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is kinda hypocritical, though not unexpected, from you.

The reason they helped Klarion was because they needed all the muscle to help fight Child.

You know, the person that basically started raising volcanoes all over the planet and would have destroyed the entire thing if they didn't stop her, the person that managed to destroy the Tower of Fate and easily harmed Nabu.

Yeah, it was basically help Klarion or die.

Didn't you also have your main character help a mass murderer escape?

Or would the term "serial genocider" be more applicable for Kalmin?

Not to mention helping demons gain more power.

And all sorts of other morally wrong or questionable things.

Maybe try to actually watch something fully instead of relying on Youtube clips and comments by others.

KenNM, Prince Charon, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Can't see that being an issue here with Paul having cleared out the oceans, and refrozen the polar caps.

Alexandercctv and Ngamer11 like this.
  18. RichardWhereat

Depends. Paul needs preparation to beat him if he's not going to fight him as he promised Diana. So if Zeus gets in before the preparation is ready, since lots of people already know he's preparing for it. It just takes one of them to drop a word in Zeus' ear..

19. Mr Zoat

No, acidification is a bigger problem there. Though speeding up the switch away from fossil fuels has probably slowed that a little.
    As I said, I haven't watched it.

20. RichardWhereat

Is Acidification not something the power ring can handle, or no xenotech that can work on it?

Xmaster3000 and Alexandercctv like this.
  21. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Worth noting, bikes were only invented about 200 years ago. How much experience could Hecate have with them, if any?

22. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Lol! Why am I getting flashbacks to Shepard meeting Conrad Verner in ME3?

And I'm not sure if Paul is playing the part of Shepard or Conrad here.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

That version. Got it.

I had the same response. Hopefully she can puzzle through the etymology to understand the sick burn it was!

Cuchulin and Alexandercctv like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

He could reset it, but it would be awkward and wouldn't stop the ph dropping again afterwards.

25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'd be willing to believe them older than the dinosaurs. Older than sea life. They are supposed to be the first species after all.

FourthPear and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So Hecate gives a list of two rare and specific things to help the ritual; stuff that she very well may not think currently exist, and need to be made first.

And Paul just pops out and pops back in shortly thereafter, seemingly pulling them out of his ass.
    ...I imagine after he shows up with the Spear of Destiny as well, she is going to add some other items to the list.

Not something she needs for the ritual, just something that been on her wishlist for a while.
    Like when people whimsically wish for something and it comes true shortly after, and then 'wish for a million dollars' just in case the wish store is still open.

Doccer, Vorian, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  27. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Paul isn't infallible, and has lost before. He could still lose, here. For all we know, he could succeed in his plans on replacing Zeus, but earn the ire of the Themyscirans (or maybe just Diana). Or maybe the other gods will start seeing Paul as a threat to them, if he so easily and quickly came up with a way to topple the strongest amongst them.

If someone really wanted to beat Paul, the easiest way would be to just remove someone he cares about from existence. Just blow up the planet Jade is on, and Paul will most likely undergo a big change in emotions and thinking and everything that makes the current Paul Paul.

I agree. I could barely stomach S3, as their writers went completely woke and pushed us further and further from the original Team that started this all. It's like they decided to do what was done in JLU, but in a bad way.

I'll eventually watch S4. I have to admit that I liked M'gann's new look, from what little I saw on YT videos. All that crap with Klarion and the Lords of Chaos was just stupid.

28. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

As she should, seeing as Paul is highly unlikely to actually give her what she originally asked for in exchange for her help.

KenNM, Ngamer11 and Istaran like this.
  29. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey can anyone help me out? I'm currently reading the Demon Superman and Nazi Earth arc. Just got to the part where Paul reaches the Amazons and puts Diana on some earth so that she heals from the helmet posessing her.

I was wondering if anyone can do me a favor and summarize what happens in this arc? There are somethings that I just can't stomach and this quote is one of them -

"Could we not have a reckoning and instead use the fact that they're having peaceful contact with other cultures who don't share their viewpoint to encourage a gradual social reform process?"

While it is in character with Paul, one of his flaws is his lack of empathy in certain situations despite having the ability to see other people's emotions. I do like that in this story as it keeps him from being a gary stu and reveals how the orange ring has changed his thoughts to become more inhuman over time.

Specifically his interactions with Balewa show off his inability to properly empathize with what's going on. While his suggestions about what Balewa can get out of working with the Nazis are somewhat reasonable, they're more than a little callous. And that's fine, Paul isn't perfect and I do prefer it that way but...

I just can't stomach his approach to Nazi world.

You don't get to do what the Nazis did in Earth 10 and then say "Oh we're so sorry about what happened and all of the genocide we committed."

In this I very firmly empathize with Dr Mist and his desire to see the Nazis bleed. True, as people not involved in the story we can see why letting the demons in would be a bad thing in the long term.

But at the end of the day, if I was in Balewa's position I can empathize with where the man is coming from. And this is from someone who found his Earth 16 viewpoint slightly frustrating when I first read about him.

Paul's insistence about "showing the Nazis the light," while in character, is more than a little frustrating for me. Overman feeling bad about this does NOT change what happened. It doesn't give him a free pass. I am sympathetic but honestly Paul's approach here just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
    If anyone would be willing to give me a cliff notes of what happens in this arc I'd appreciate it.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sure.

Basically Paul and a bunch of Nazis go to Hell Earth.

Then they encounter some vampires that they beat and recruit to help them.

They get the Spear of Destiny and later fight Demon Superman.

They beat him and the demon possessing him manages to escape but is shot and killed by Paul.

Later, Paul visits Michael Holt, Mr. Terrific, who he previously fought when Holt was corrupted, but now he's not.

Holt gets a Green Power Ring to help him fix the Earth.

Hope the above helps, and yeah I understand your frustration with Paul.

At this point I think I'm just reading this story out of habit, since the main character has become...well...what he is now.