1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, no it was not.

I'm guessing it would have included things like "that orange lunatic and his crazy schemes".

Do you even hear yourself anymore?

Even Adom may not know, since she did all those horrible things after his imprisonment.

'piled'

'too late'

'the Reach'

'archmage, Eris'

I think everyone is worried that you're being literal.

kerleth, Istaran, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.
  2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

fascinating -> fascinated

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, you basically summed up a lot of the frustrations readers have with Paragon.

The same lack of development can also be seen in the Renegade if we're being honest, seeing as he's basically still an asshole that can't help but asshole.

The whole 'Friendship Beam' seemed to make him less of one, but he seems to have reverted back to his asshole self.

Though that relies on the Nazis being reasonable.

Which is...kinda hard to believe.

ChestBurster and JoTa34 like this.
  4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oooh, Shadowrun Paul! Sooo much for him to fix!

Ah Hecate. We do stan someone enthusiastic about their work.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That still makes me want to bang my head against a wall while screaming and crying at the sheer stupidity of it. I mean as a nearly half Irish Celtophile I kinda wish the Roman Empire didn't exist, but it's just to much a part of the foundation of European history and Western Civilization. It just makes a history buff like me want to hang my head and cry.

ChestBurster likes this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Reminder to everyone, LePaul loves shitting on the Silver City related religions in every way he possibly can.

This includes out right denying History if it involves them doing or creating something particularly impressive.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...And what does it say that we're reading a story where that kind of question doesn't raise warning signals in the character's head? :p Well, besides the alternate Pauls where he hasn't gone into full 'Hasn't stopped to consider that just he can, doesn't mean he should.' territory...

Heck, even the cultures whose heroes took part in that Obsidian Age are likely not around anymore. Not in anywhere near the same form they were, anyway.

People need to stop asking 'how much stupider can people get?' There are some that take it as a challenge.

Yes, hardly the sanest or most pleasant of rulers. And the tales may well be underselling things.

Ooh, that'll be an interesting conversation...

Given some of the other nations in the region in the DC Universe, that's saying a lot.

So, no quagmire spell in this universe, eh? Or she was defeated before it could reach its full power...

...Which suggests she was either more than mortal, or had access to power that let her fake it.

A reminder about Orcus. A nice touch that not all of Atlantis' gods are solely Roman.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that tends to upset traditionalists.

And yet you still worship them? Perhaps speaking to their manager might help get better service? :p

Well, so much for the party. Guess Hecate wants all hands on deck for this little display.

...And what brought this on? Your little discussion about divine services?

I suppose it's easy for her to summarise, since OL's been kind of two-dimensional at times recently...

Also accurate. Funny how he joked about Heroes having a revolving-door approach to death in comics, but now he's literally got one.

Aw, doing the sweetest things for his goddess. Could still thump him for being him, but business calls.

Let's not go rubbing your face against the shiny thing, Eris. You don't know what it's been...

So, you don't think it's the Spear of Longinus. Probably does predate all of that Christian stuff, after all...

And Mera's probably wondering what sort of rabbit hole she's fallen into...

So, less 'small lab' and more 'industrial testing chamber', then?

Now, now, you'll have your fun when this is over with.

I bet every magic-user on Earth just felt the mystical equivalent of Hecate running her finger up their spine...

So, instead of him bringing you a litre of kerosene, he's just handed you a litre of rocket fuel?

...Can we not break reality again, so soon after the last time?

Oh, boy... If the Goddess of Magic is this excited, then I suspect things are going to be getting very noisy soon. Forget what I said about Murphy last time. He's sidled into the room, giving Eris bedroom eyes and motioning towards a closet... I suspect things are going to go wonderfully, horribly right. We can but hope the Earth is in one piece after all is said and done.

BR549, kerleth, mastermenthe and 13 others like this.
  8. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

I wonder if he could conceivably forge a ring and, if so, whether the Maltusian ring may encompass part of his domain as well. Kalmin does have to use actual forging tools, after all.

BartlettMagic and Bud-E like this.
  9. Cuchulin

I think it's less them being reasonable and more like them being a Dog that finally caught a car, they won so big they have been a bit to busy actually making things work to do many really horrible things. Also Overman has been trying to change things so they aren't as "Nazi" as they used to be.

Also considering it's strong ties to Arthurian lore and how much of that part of Arthurian lore derives from Celtic mythology? The spear likely has more to do with the Tuatha De Danu than Christ.

PDV, Vorian, Hell's Razer and 2 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though thry still do horrible things.

With little success.

Judging by what that angel said, the Spear may not be connected with Christ, so I guess it's possible that it came from the Irish gods.

kerleth, FeepingCreature and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And you just know that they'll surpass the previous champion.

Or modern Atlanteans just don't know about it.

I think I remember Kaldur and his Crime Syndicate counterpart talking about a god that may have been Hawaian in origin.

When they were in Heaven, an angel said that the Spear wasn't the one that stabbed Chrisy, since it didn't look like a Roman spear, but it did have earthly magic.

The rabbit hole dug by Paul, a rabbit that's on every drug imaginable and has ADHD.

I thing you're asking too much from Paul.

12. Cuchulin

Celtic gods, the Celts seemingly had a fairly consistent culture and religion over the very broad territory they occupied as well as across time. So very strong echos are seen in what we know of the Gauls and what was written down by Irish Monks.

13. Splinterface

Splinterface Getting sticky.

Do you have a link to the shadowrun/dunkelzahn Story posts? I can’t seem to find any

14. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

Please, for the love of Gaea someone stage an intervention for these absolute mad lads before they do something permanent. I already made a joke about "sections of the universe turning into WH40K fanart"! We don't need that centered right on the planet we live on!

You're taking an entity made of fuckmothering primordial dream soup and running it through hyper-advanced alien tech with a massively powerful magic artifact so you can roid up a god. All this being supervised by two morally questionable goddesses and an army of undead witches that just got pulled away from a pool party.

This was supposed to be just an intimidation tactic, maybe a magic bullet if Zeus decided to be dumb. By the end of this they're going to have a big, shiny, red button labeled "Apocalypse Now".

Bud-E, yobthog and FeepingCreature like this.
  15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'd tie it to the Seven Imperishable Treasures that the New Gods gave Earths' first superhero, Aurakles, when they gave him the mission to bring order and meaning where incoherence reigns.

A spear whose name is both love and vengeance.

A spear that in the comics caused the Sheeda Queen's death 40 thousand years after the fact with a car accident.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, someone just posted on the archive only thread.

17. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Really hope this is leading into a proper conversation between Paul and Diana about him going to extremes. Does Zeus deserve it for all of the bullshit he's done in the past? Yea for sure.

But Diana and Paul should definitely have a conversation about proportional responses.

Considering how well things have been going for the protagonist, having some sort of intervention would be useful I think. Character development wise, I mean. Paul's reactions and his ability to interact with people has noticeably gotten worse over the past couple of arcs. So I'm hoping that Zoat leads this up to an intervention of some sort.

18. Noctus

Oh that was probably me tbh. I deleted it almost immediately so it should be gone now, unless someone else also posted in that thread. Sorry 'bout that.

kerleth and Ngamer11 like this.
  19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Or paul keeps steamrolling everything and eventually starts (accidentally or on purpose) using orange light to alter people's desires to be more in line with him eventually tangseiding the world.

The first red flag to that would be batman accepting enhancements.

KenNM and kerleth like this.
  20. Noctus

There was a variant who did that iirc. Turned Wonder Woman into his lover.

21. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I have an Amulet of Planes, but you have a 50-75% chance of winding up in some kind of hellhole afterlife.

22. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's where the word "tangseiding" came from in the post you quoted. The version of Paul that did that was named Tangseid because orange and his Darkseid-ish approach to peace.

ChestBurster, Khornelius and DAT_NOOB like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected. Though the 'vater' thing is just the German word for 'father'.
    He doesn't appear right next to people but a little way away. As such, he wouldn't appear in the cubical with her unless the cubical was very big.
    She skimmed it.
    That seems unlikely.
    Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not sure about this one.
    Thank you, corrected.

25. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

My explanation for how the Spear of Destiny works is ( if it was the Spear used to check if Jesus was dead) then it would have pierced Jesus while he was holding the sins of every human past, present and future in his body which probably gave the Spear a connection to the collective human unconscious. Its ability to nudge people to think like its wielder is also probably from touching a Physical Avatar as he paid the blood price for humanities sins.

26. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

This just made me think about something. Since babies are too young to have a coherent idea of religion (or any idea at all), and they’re incapable of doing the righteous acts that the Silver City requires, do they all go to Hell?

27. Noctus

Ohh cheers. Never really participated in discussions so this is my first time seeing it.

ChestBurster and DAT_NOOB like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I'm... Going to no, given that the Silver City is canonically pretty accepting of the insanity defence.

29. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Nice theory but no, the angels actually stated that Jesus was pierced by a Roman pilum whereas the Spear of Destiny was a different kind of spear, I don't know what kind to be specific but the Spear of Destiny has different origins, my guess is a superweapon from an alternate/parallel dimension or the symbol of power from a faded/dead god/titan that got left behind

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  30. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Also rings are individually forged as works of craftsmanship, in a way the comics abstract as being a lot like forging stuff out of metal.

And while we're not sure where the spear comes from, New God characters have claimed that it feels new god-ish, they do a lot of substitution of terms to fit things within their own cultural framework, but in this case I am under the impression it's more credible than usual. So the Spear probably dates back to Aurakles and the New God stuff going on back then. And would have been made by a New God, in which case it was again, probably made as an expression of the skill of an individual craftsman.

And yes, they both kind of fit cleanly into having been manufactured by craftsmen in a forge, and being a result that is a form of advanced technology.