1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Um... You do know Comic Vine isn't an official site right?

The actual comic shows that Guardian dying.

And of course the comic I posted earlier showing a Guardian directly stating Larfleez doesn't have the power to turn Guardian's into construct lanterns.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Just caught back up so please forgive the long post.

This is why I love this story. Every one of these items has been set up before hand, they were a plot point that moved their own story forward and now that OL knows about them he pulls them back into the story in a way that we can see the logic of how each bit of information leads to the current solution.

Talking to not Constantine about using a titan for power

Talking to Hephaestus about gaining the titan's power

Discussion about the prototype

Technically this is the spear from daemon world.

With OL using what we know he has it feels, to me, more like a mystery right now, each bit building to the big reveal.

Now, having said that I don't think the big reveal is going to be Zeus getting defeated, we have already had that reveal as many people both in story and out of the story have pointed out. We already saw OL take down two powerful otherworldly entities, so this feels more like a moment of hubris. One of the things stated at the beginning of this current quest was concept of nemesis, OL was flippant saying he was going to be the retribution on Zeus but I expect instead we will see the reason for Batman to become the nemesis of OL.

Now I am not sure about this but apparently Mr Zoat has said that Batman will come to hate or blame or resent OL for some reason? I had to skip a lot of non-story posts so this is second hand not sure if its true. But what if, OL and crew perform this merging, confront Zeus and something goes wrong and Diana gets hit when Zeus fights back. (Like Zeuses power gets disrupted or he gets killed or some other terrible fate that snaps all the power back to the titans while Diana is still in Tartarus.) So she gets injured or killed or has to suddenly take in all that power and becomes a god but its two much so she gets destroyed like Hephaestus is worried will happen to him. That would turn most of the heroes against him. And it would be a big enough mistake that it would possibly reorder how he enacts his desires.

The problem is, as far as I understand enlightenment, OL can't change anymore. He knows his desires and can't not do what he wants to do, he can prioritize which wants he will act on, but he doesn't have conflicting wants that he can overcome. It's one of the reasons everyone around him changes how they act when he is around, they are literally interacting with an alien thought process. You can't change his mind you can just bargain with how he will go about acquiring his desires. Show him you are working towards his final need and he will assist you, attempt to stop him and he will ignore you at best, remove you at worst.

Now I might be completely wrong.

3. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

All but stated, heavily implied sure, a logical leap based on them having made the rings yep.

But all I see in that picture is Larfleeze threatened to assimilate, a blue baby saying he can't and Larfleeze getting distracted.

And yes all wikis are only as accurate as the dumbest person using it so again, if you can show me a page that says they can't be assimilated or one of them breaking assimilation I'll accept it.

4. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th October 2012
    09:52 GMT +3

"So…" I raise my eyebrows at Hephaestus. "Made a decision yet?"

He regards me testily. "Come up with a new argument to persuade me, have you?"

"Honestly? No. But if you aren't prepared to take the risk, we'll need more time to work on your equipment, and delaying is only dragging this out."

"You want me to take the risk."

"Eh… I… Yes, but-! I don't understand the thaumaturgy involved and it isn't me going through it. It's you. If, having heard all of the information that we have, you decide that it's not worth the risk, that's your decision. I'll just nod and carry on. We'll still be closer to our goal."

And I mean that. I really don't understand the explanation that Hecate started with, not in any detail. It turns out that Hephaestus's concern about dissolving in the power was entirely valid. Using the default version of the binding spell that could actually happen. However, with the ring and the Spear, Hecate had other options.

At the safest level, we have the 'constant gradual drain' option. Using the ring as a moderating influence, Hephaestus would literally just use it as a booster when he needed it. He would actually have to use spells to expand his abilities and insight, not just to increase his power output.

At the mid-level, we can directly empower him up to his maximum… 'Stretch' level. That could go wrong, but it almost certainly wouldn't. Once he acclimatised to his new size, we could repeat the process up to his new 'stretch' level, and so on until… Well, most likely until the titan embryo loses coherency and we have to wait for it to re-emerge. The upside is that it would increase Hephaestus's innate power. He'd be able to just do stuff, and his instinct for modern technology would increase. Not to the level of an actual God of Technology, but somewhat. Getting to full power would probably take… A few months, though, and might take even longer. And it might well not ever get him to the point where he could fight Zeus.

And then there's option three. Conceptual unbinding. On the up side, it would result in him becoming a full-on God of Technology, far more powerful than even the most optimistic result of option two. It would be faster too; we could be out of here this afternoon. It's also… Technically safer than option two, in the sense that it's virtually impossible that it would kill him.

But.

But it essentially involved chirurgically pulling his brain apart, sticking more brain in between the parts and sewing the whole thing back up and hoping that his mind still functions.

Maybe. Hecate was losing patience with me when she came up with that explanation.

"When you fought the Lord of Order, Nabu." I nod. "Did you consider using the Ophidian's power?"

"Considered and dismissed. Too much risk to Mister Zatara."

"When you first bonded with her, then. The illusion world. If it had been real, would you have done it?"

"I did do it. Remember, I thought that it was real. And I didn't think I'd still exist afterwards."

"Would you do it again?"

"It's not really the same thing."

"So, yes."

"But look how my social skills have improved. Uh?" I sigh. "Look… If it were me, I wouldn't be-. I'm not sure whether I'd go for two or three. I put on this ring in the knowledge that it would probably change my character, but I always could take it off. I let the Ophidian in, but that was in a desperate situation and I don't live like that most of the time. The one time I absorbed a lot of demon magic and became ruthlessly utilitarian, I didn't like the person I became. But I can't make that kind of decision for you."

"No."

I shrug. "I want you to take this power to smack Zeus down, free Diana and advance the cause of the technological revolution with your new power. But those are my goals. What do you want?"

"The same. To smack Zeus down. Ares too. To walk without limping for the first time in more years than I care to think about."

"But you want to be the one walking."

"That I do."

"Well… Is there any more information you need in order to make a decision?"

"Yes, and I'm waiting for a response from the person I asked."

Oh.

"Because you, Orange Lantern, are the last person to go to for the voice of moderation."

"Thought I was… Fairly moderate just there…"

"I know. Ah." He stands up as… An owl swoops down, landing on the top of a nearby low diving board. "Here she is."

I'm bowing even as Athena sort of.. blurs back into a humanoid form.

"Phaeste."

"Thena."

"My Lady."

"And my champion's headache. I have learned something of your nature from her prayers. Rise."

I straighten up. There's… Actually a fairly strong resemblance between Diana and-. Well, this avatar of Athena. I suppose that it's not really too surprising that a people as militant as the Amazons would base their ideal of youthful beauty on their war goddess, but her statues on the surface make it a good deal less obvious.

"Do you intend to pay Hecate's price?"

"Not up to me."

Hephaestus raises his right hand. "If this is about your mother, we were already planning on freeing her."

Athena nods. "Then I will use my own magic to ensure that your mind remains whole during the process of elevating you."

He nods. "You think the third choice is best, then? Complete unbinding?"

"I think that if we want any relevancy as a pantheon that we will need to be led by a god who is both interested in the world and appealing to mortals. A God of Technology is certainly relevant; your holy day is being observed by mortal artificers even though their skills are outside of your domain. And you have remained better connected to the world than most. Tell me that this is not what you want."

"I can't, because it is."

"Then embrace this opportunity. Become something greater than you are."

He nods, then turns back towards Hecate's house.

"Then let's do this."

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Woop! Project Hepheastus++ is go!

And Athena is delightfully pragmatic.

Not surprising, but still nice.

And what holy day are people observing?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'If, having'

're-emerge'

'safer than option'

You were, but that's not saying much.

Ha!

7. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Crash helmets on. Goggles down. Alright guys, let's do this.

LEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOY....

8. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Rich coming from her. Athena was born of Zeus's headache. Or at least that is common origin story for her.

9. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

One of the earlier times Paul worked with Hephaestus he started showing the word that praying to Greek gods can get actual supernatural aid. There's been a lot of pagan revolution in this story due to a combination of active old gods and Angels turning people off of Christianity.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You're trying to get Vaermina to use and listen to logic and evidence.

Why?

Seriously, at this points we all know that Vaermina either doesn't care about logic or evidence, or is literally incapable if using them on a fundamental level.

Nothing has worked in changing Vaermina's mind on these topics.

We've asked them to change politely, we've insulted them, we've kept showing evidence that disproves their beliefs, but none of it has worked.

Don't try to get Vaermina to see reason. It's a waste of time.

This sounds like a good explanation.

11. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

What is Hepheastus's holy day. Google search didn't give me anything.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I hope you haven't been pestering him about this the whole time, OL. He'll decide when he's good and ready, not when you want him to. Your.. unique.. kind of encouragement isn't going to be all that helpful here.

To be fair, more time to prepare and recheck your workings is probably a good idea. This is not something you want to go off half-cocked.

OL doesn't need to be the expert in everything, after all. That's what his vast list of contacts is for. :p

Not great, and not likely to allow him to challenge the stronger Olympians.

Safer, but it would leave the world without Wonder Woman for that long... Unless Zeus has a change of heart.

Effectively, disconnecting him from his portfolio of smithery and metal-crafting, then reconnecting to the larger spread of all technology (which would include his prior place...)

I suspect it would mean a more metaphysical dismantling, than an entirely physical one... But who knows with Olympians?

Wouldn't do to free him from Nabu... By turning him into orange crush.

And that wasn't even his worst-possible plan, remember? I believe the doomsday plan was 'summon ALL the demons'?

He's technically half-bonded with her a few times. But given chunks of her are woven into his soul... That's hardly surprising.

Though it was hard for you to recognise that dislike at the time... What with the 'soaked in demonic energies' bit.

And in the process stealing a jump on most of the other Gods of metalcraft and sciences.

You should find that worry familiar, OL. Remember your early thanatophoia, before you got a working soul and a guaranteed afterlife placement? And your concerns about the Orange Light altering your mind? (Which seem to have faded after Enlightenment, I'll note...)

But does he want to hear that information from you, OL?

:V Ha! He's got you there, mister 'Planning to empower a friendly god to battle an unfriendly one for spurious reasons'.

No, OL. Just... No. :rolleyes:

And what better source of Wisdom than the Goddess of it?

Ah, the joy of being younger siblings. United against the elders.

I'm sure the reality will blow away all expectations you might have, Grey-eyed Athena.

Pain and peril. Quite a heavy cost for the power he wants.

Hah. Bet when that happens, the first thing she does is smack Zeus right in the little thunderbolt...

I'm sure you have the will and the focus to endure it.

Yeah. People aren't really cowed by storms anymore. Zeus is... Much depreciated in the eyes of mankind, between his jackassery and his fading relevance.

Cue the heroic gearing-up montage theme!

So, Operation: Reforging is a go. It was nice to see him choose to hear his sibling's advice on the risk, even if she did little more than help him align his intentions. I expect if we see anything of the process, it'll be all light and sound beyond mortal comprehension. Still, there's no turning back now, even if Zeus picks up on this and comes crashing in...

13. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would guess he is referencing this:

It might not have been his holy day before, but it might as well be now. It might be the largest regular show of piety any of the Greeks are getting nowadays.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair, he was being moderate.

By his standards.

It's just that what Paul considers to be moderate, others would still view as extreme.

And they were also lovers in this story!

Eww!

But what can you expect from Olympians.

15. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I want to see newly power mad Hephaestus do a musical.
    This:

But with robots
    And the palace door is the gate to Olympus.

16. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Just thinking ahead to the removal of Zeus, there are some other knock on effects.

Anyone or thing that taps into him may have reduced or lost powers. While his children have their own god hood to sustain them, someone like Captain Marvel (remember the Z in Shazam is for him) or Dana Dearden (one of her magical coin's is her link) might have issues down the line.

Any powers sustained by him directly, or linked to be powered by the titan's through him might weaken or be disrupted.

Things that you can't likely plan around are the ones you don't know about. And he's had a lot of years to get involved with this kinda thing.

On a distantly related idea, anyone else been wondering what Zeus's opinion of Gotham's Maximillian Zeus is ?

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except it's 100% up to you...

And every innocent who dies because of this is on your head.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

JEEEENNKKIIIIINSSSSS!

19. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Eh, preferably this one, it's more magical.

20. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I am sure that captain marvel can find some other powerful being who's name starts with a Z to parishion.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's also the high possibility of "fuck you"'s Zeus would have arranged to screw over anyone who overthrew him.

And of course the fact that LePaul is completely ignoring the potential WMD level collateral damage to Earth from Zeus and Hephaestus fighting.

Which includes the very real possibility that if Zeus starts loosing he will go "If I'm going down I will take a billion people with me".

22. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Expand? I suppose he could withhold the Spear and training ring, but Hephaestus has last say on whether or not they do the ritual itself, and afterwards he’d be the one who decides what happens to the Titans in Tartarus. OL certainly bears a certain amount of responsibility, but not 100%.

23. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The Hephaestia, which is basically a big trade show.
    Thank you, corrected.
    SHAHAM!

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

concern -> concerns OR were -> was
    Gave me chills. It's either great writing or a covid symptom.

25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Woo! Teekl is getting a new friend in the not-exactly-dead realm!

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Hephaestus.

Dur'id the Druid likes this.
  26. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Sure, and after he's done that instead of only being dethroned he'll be unmade, because earth doesn't need his unstable ass in case he goes through with it.

27. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

If shazam becomes shaham and gets the power of hephaestus he could still make and control electricity because that is under the purview of technology.

28. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

LETSGO ROBOT OLYMPIANS UPGRADES FOR EVERYONE

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Or not. He's not that unstable.

30. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette