1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

He does worship the goddess of strife.

Bramble Thorn and Xmaster3000 like this.
  2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Except that he has work to resurrect himself and rebuild his body rather than that happening automatically.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Ra's needs to have someone bring him to a Lazarus Pit to be resurrected, but is still called an immortal.

4. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

True, but he is the one who discovered them and perfected their use, Also, it's mostly him and his cultists that call him immortal.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Is she familiar with how Roman triumphs went, or is that reference accidental on her part?

6. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I think that people just don't get called immortal unless they have live a few hundred years at least. Until they do that any immortality they might have is hypothetical. You can never really know how good it is until it is tested by time.

8. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th October 2012
    23:49 GMT +9

Mount Fuji at night is… I'd like to be able to say 'beautiful', and it's not ugly or anything, but honestly it's like a smaller and snowier Olympus Mons. And compared to the grandeur of the floating lumps of Krypton, or planet Keauna in the Reach periphery where they were struck by a colossal asteroid early in the planet's history and it's still visibly sticking into the planet, just poking through the atmosphere. Now that's a sight to see, especially through the atmosphere.

It's just…

It's not all that. It's a big mountain in a small… Pond…

Oh, I am too young to be this jaded.

I fly over plenty of lights on my way in, and as a matter of courtesy I notified the woman in the National Public Safety Commission who is the League's contact that I was going to Mount Fuji to talk to their gods in person. I didn't technically have to, but they don't have to let me in the country except for the fact that they've got no way to actually stop me… Superhero law isn't for the anal retentive. She wished me good luck, which I thought was nice.

And now I'm looking down at a Shinto shrine. Not one of the big ones, but it's old enough to have mystical significance. Moss and vines are growing over stone structures, blending manmade with natural, though the paths and rock gardens are kept tidy. A couple of lights are on, but as far as I can tell the attendants have all left for the night.

I find an out of the way pagoda. I sit. I close my eyes and we open them, our coils reaching out to lightly grasp the wooden structure.

Less polite than when I went to Olympus, but then, these aren't my gods.

In the material world, I take a small bowl out of subspace and fill it with vegetable curry. A second bowl is filled with rice, and then I push both of them across from me.

In the immaterial world, our tongue flicks out and tastes the mana. Yes, the gods know this place. A small bite, and they must feel our presence even if they somehow missed it before now. We-.

"A certain person has made an artless approach. Still, it is pleasing that they are not entirely without courtesy."

We taste ions in the air, charged particles with electrons ready to leap. But where Zeus was calm until he was striking, this power is under control, constantly directed.

I open my material eyes, nodding to the traditionally attired Japanese man now sitting opposite me.

"I wasn't expecting so august a personage. I'd have been happy talking to the spirit of this pagoda."

"One felt the sudden absence of a certain person from Greece. One is somewhat aware of the habits of the Great Serpent of Avarice and its representative. One felt that it would be prudent to address the matter directly."

"I'm looking for the cyclopes. According to their mother, they've living in Japan. I wish to commission a piece from them."

"It may be that such persons are guests in these lands. But as guests, they are owed protection from those who might harm them."

"Quite true, and I respect you for insisting on that point."

"One might then enquire on the nature of the commission."

"One thunderbolt, or whatever it was they did for Zeus that let him throw them."

"One might enquire what use the Great Serpent of Avarice has for thunderbolts."

"Not much of one. But Captain Marvel needs them to access one sixth of his powers. Hephaestaean might be able to produce a solution, but he's a bit busy."

"One has heard of 'Captain Marvel'. The anointed champion of the wizard Shazam, and a hero of great note."

"It's more 'Sha'am' at the moment."

"One is curious. Is it simply divine lightning that is needed?"

"I'm not entirely certain. I think that the deity in question needs a certain level of raw power and to be capable of using their lightning to open passageways between realms. And be diplomatic enough to work with Jebediah of Canaan and the others; it used to be Shazamo."

"If one were aware of another deity capable and willing to fulfil such a role, would the noble representative of the Great Serpent be interested?"

"Certainly, but it's ultimately not up to me."

The god shifts the curry bowl a little closer.

"One is curious. The honourable representative had openly opposed the Silver City, and spoken for the Gods of Olympus. One wonders how aware he is of the actions of other pantheons."

"You're co-opting belief focuses from outside your pantheon, aren't you?"

"Our family has grown. There is little need to use force, even where it would be possible to do so. More than that, in our heartland we have never been overthrown. We allow the way we are presented to be buffeted by the winds of time."

"Not my first choice of strategy, but if it works, good for you."

"Venerable elders have asked whether it might be wise to offer patronage to costumed heroes. This humble one offers his power and the lightning at his command in place of that of mighty Zeus, if it will serve."

"Ah, thank you. Who are you?"

"This one is Susano-o-no-Mikoto, and has the honour of being God of the Sea, Storms, Fields, Harvest, Marriage, and Love."

I'm not sure what the thematic link is there, but whatever makes the Japanese happy I suppose.

"Good show. The Wizard currently has passageways to the Rock of Eternity set up in Fawcett City. Would you like a lift, or would you prefer to make your own way?"

"This one thinks that it would be rude to ignore this offering, or to unnecessarily detain the honourable representative."

"As you will. I am grateful for your help, and hope that you and the Wizard have a productive working relationship."

We withdraw our grip on the local thaumosphere, returning to a purely physical existence.

Susano-o-no-Mikoto is gone. As is the curry and the rice.

Hm. Alright, so they want William to advertise for them. That's the sort of thing Zeus should have been doing. I'm certainly not going to complain about it, and with that offer on the table I don't have the same need to speak with the cyclopes. Would they have given me a better deal? Maybe, but an opportunity for advertising isn't exactly a high cost, and I won't be paying it anyway.

As for his pantheon's plan… Co-opting newly emerging symbols doesn't give humanity anything. It's divine cultural parasitism, and the oldest members of the pantheon won't benefit from it directly anyway. Shinto isn't looking for converts.

Or maybe they are, now. Was this them reaching out to make an accommodation before Hephaestaean really gets going? Well, joke's on them: I'm terrible at understanding subtle communication. I'll ask William how the negotiations went when I see him again.

No, the list of wandering gods. We'll need a God of War first.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'One is aware of the actions of the other pantheons.'

That was a quick and surprisingly pleasant conversation. Will the Marvel family be saying "Shasam!" from now on?

10. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

I wonder if Big Barda might be interested in joining the Greek Pantheon? She has the right attitude for a war goddess.

ChestBurster, Lokpik, Rebu and 15 others like this.
  11. FreeGod

One is using weird enough grammar that pointing out any grammar mistakes feels to be on less than stable footing.

12. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

Was beginning to wonder if you were sick today :p
    Interesting strategy from the Shinto god's, it's not like they will be making their pantheon too confusingly unwieldy, it's already massive lol

13. FreeGod

You generally get the impression that the Shinto gods are fairly well organized, but the actual method of organization is very unclear.

ChestBurster, kyomei93, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, the Shinto gods seem a lot more proactive and subtle than the Greeks at least. I bet the Japanese will be pleased.

As for the Pantheon: Scott Free as the god of Freedom? Might be attractive to Americans.

But Paul could also try to unite Roman and Greek pantheons? Mars was more...restrained than Ares, afaik.

15. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Shazamo? Who's the O and what did he do?

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Am I the only one disappointed that he went to the trouble of having Billy get a Japanese storm god and somehow didn't use Raiden?

Edit:
    Oggar. Magic maybe? I don't think it was ever established.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'A couple'

Remove one 'bowl'.

Hello Susanoo, I see that Maze hasn't gotten to you.

'such august'

You should be, seeing as you would have probably ended dying at the hands of the Serpents daughter.

Looking to get the job.

Well the sea and storms aspect can go great great with the fields and harvest ones due to rain.

'This one'

Though maybe you should still talk to the cyclops since Hepb wants all Olympians.

Granted, they're not exactly Olympians.

Ain't that the truth.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Oggar apparently

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming she wants the role or if they want her to join them.

And that's assuming that she can join them given that she's not a god like they are.

Oscar, an old ally of the Wizard that decided to rebel so Jeb got rid of the "o".

Susanoo may be more powerful.

20. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

so is it gonna be a ShaSam instead of ShaZam, eh it sounds similar enough

21. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

A typo:
    I have a feeling there is something missing from there but not sure what.

No this is correct.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...And that sounds like a hell of a sight indeed. No wonder the natural beauty of Earth seems to pale in comparison. Being a Lantern on the interplanetary stage probably leads to the sights of home becoming mundane. Wonder if the Greenies ever get that feeling?

Or, a big pebble sitting on a pile of pebbles in a puddle, if you want to look at it that way.

It probably does look a bit more impressive from the ground, after all.

Well, the higher Shinto deities do tend to be more hands-off with their worshippers.

Well, that's one way of knocking on the door.

An offering of food, but not sake? Unconventional, but not totally offensive. Hopefully they'll overlook it on account of you being an uncultured foreigner. :p

Alas, when one is in need of haste, one cannot afford to offer all due courtesy.

A reminder: Susano-o-no-mikoto (or his DC incarnation, at least). And the formality of his words are well in character for what was shown during Sandman: Season of Mists.

And perhaps make sure said representative wasn't aiming for a second weather god or supreme ruler, hmm?

Ah, yes. Guest rights. Certainly as important in Eastern cultures as it is in Hellenic. Though more often trod upon in some stories.

I can see him wanting to know what OL wants made. If only to ensure it isn't a threat to his pantheon...

Ah, someone smells an opportunity, I see.

Good to see the greater Kami take note of the mortal world... I wonder if any of them follow modern fashion. :p Amaterasu the Ko-gal and Tsukiyomi the Gothic Lolita, anyone?

That depends, is one angling to negotiate for the use of their power? :cool:

Probably for the best that it changed. 'Shazamo' sounds like a laundry detergent. Or a breakfast cereal.

Though if you'd like an introduction...

Well, the Japanese do it with just about every other bit of culture, these days. Unsurprising that their gods would do it with religion.

...Forget Ko-gal Amaterasu. Has she been running around as a large white wolf with red markings? x3

Ah, he's looking for a route to advertise.

He has an odd history.

"Besides, this offering has a quite pleasing taste. Would it offend the representative if this one asked for the recipe?"

And so Shazam will likely become Shasam. :p The Wizard insists on it still being pronounced the same way, of course.

So, the need to talk to them has rather slid down the priority list, eh?

Heh. Showing remarkable self-awareness there, OL. Even more impressive after dancing through the minefield of Ancient Nippon's courtly manners.

And if Kratos does end up taking the seat, I am so going to enjoy hearing Eris making video game jokes.

Well, that was easy. Hopefully he won't have to go through quite the same process when he actually comes back to speak to the Cyclopes. Perhaps next time, he'll end up speaking to one of the other precious siblings. But for now, onwards in search of other Olympians. At least the Shazam situation might be settled by the time he's done. Wonder if the change in god will come with a change in outfit? :p

Mr Zoat, a few corrections:
    Double Space.
    "It may be that such persons are guests in these lands.
    Perhaps "One wonders how aware..." would work?
    ...in place of that of mighty Zeus, if it will serve."
    "This one thinks that it would be rude to ignore this offering, or to unnecessarily detain the honourable representative."

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘expecting’
    Unnecessary ‘the’
    ’these’
    Something is wrong here but I’m not sure what. Maybe there should be a ‘is not sure’ after the first word?

I’m really liking all of this divine stuff that’s going on. It’s always been one of my favourite parts of this story. I’m now wondering how the Celestial Bureaucracy is doing. We saw a bit of them when one of them blessed Celestial Archer, but I want to know how they feel about the CCP, and how the CCP feels about them. The Chinese parts have been another part of the story that I’ve enjoyed greatly.

24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Didn't Lucifer kill that shitcunt? It's been a decade and I'm drunk. But I think that's what happened.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, they were so important to them that when they wanted to kill Lucifer they tried to make it seem accidental or at least make it so that they have a justifiable reason for it.

Tsukiyomi may be dead.

Or the name of a wizard in a porno.

Maybe they inspired their followers to do it.

Assuming he can change his name again.

To be fair, it does sound the same, so it may not be that difficult.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not quite.

In the comics Lucifer went to the Shinto gods to retrieve his wings.

They didn't want to give them back and tried to kill him, but they failed and Lucifer managed to kill two members of their pantheon before getting his wings back.

Though Izanami planted a trap in the wings.

After some intense meditation Susanoo managed to activate the trap and burned Lucifer until he was near death.

Lucifer managed to survive with outside help.

Later Susanoo met up with Maze's "ex-husband" who imprisoned them both.

Susanoo was able to escape by crushing his hands, which were burned during his attempt on Lucifer's life.

Maze caught up to him and threw him in a pit of fire.

Though he did show up in the 2016 comic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well that was nice. You know, would be kind of funny if the Shinto gods try to negotiate with Jebediah to completely replace the whole selection of sponsors, no?

That way they can better coordinate the sponsorship and have sole representation in Captain Marvel; instead of the shared but completely hands off approach that it is right now, what with an ancient judeo-christian king, a greek hero, a greek titan, a greek demigod that underwent apotheosis and in DC isn't exactly that great of a guy and a roman god.

And I don't think they would be that mad if Billy doesn't exactly convert, they seem chill enough in general to understand if he still considers himself christian but would still try to convert him slowly.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  28. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

"One wonders how aware he is of the actions of other pantheons."?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I thought this was his acceptance of the free ride?
    This
    A

30. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Heh, considering his rather wide range of domains I wonder if Billy won't suddenly gain powers/knowledge in regards to agriculture/romance as well once the new patronage is set up.

ChestBurster, kyomei93, Ardy and 8 others like this.