1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Ice and Men (Young Justice. Icicle Junior SI.)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Apr 19, 2022.

?

Location of Team's base.

Poll closed May 4, 2022.
  1. Missile Silo in Nebraska

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Ski Lodge in Colarado

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Lighthouse in Hawaii

28 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Ranch in Texas

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Summer Camp in Michigin

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Junkyard in Washington

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Rundown Hotel in North Carolina

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Threadmarks: Chapter 1: Cold Open
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

An Icicle Jr self-insert, where the MC wants nothing to do with either side of the super powered lifestyle. Only one problem with this plan... his new body already agreed to get arrested.

It’s going to take every ounce of skill, charm, and an extra heaping of luck, for the new and hopefully improved Cameron Makhent to break free from a life of crime. Especially with only two episodes worth of knowledge.

Chapter 1: Cold Open
    Star City
    July 4, 8:27 AM PDT

Blinking my eyes nearly ends up with me collapsing in shock. One moment I was kicking the door to the chicken coop shut and suddenly I’m standing on a bridge with traffic whizzing by. It sort of looks like the Golden Gate Bridge.

When I reach a hand up to rub at my eyes, the translucent blue fingers finally do bring me to my knees. What the hell is going on?

Honks blast at me as the cars swerve around, the drivers only noticing my strange appearance at the last second. Of course with each blast of sound that signals a near miss, I gasp in fright.

Each sudden jerk of my body creates a blast of pale blue energy, creating spiky formations on the pavement. One of the cars swerves too late and catches one of my creations.

The driver’s face contorts into one of sheer terror as he crashes into and halfway through the railing. I don’t pay attention to the accident however, instead I focus on the energy skating along my arms.

“This has to be a dream.” Nothing else could explain this kind of strangeness.

When I try and think back on how I got here, only a handful of confusing memories flood into my mind. I’m supposed to get arrested?

That doesn’t make sense until I finally catch sight of my reflection in my most recent creation. Am I Icicle junior? From that new Young Justice cartoon that premiered a couple days ago?

So if this is a dream of the first episode, that means I’m supposed to get in a fight with Green Arrow and Speedy. Since I really don’t want to get my ass kicked, I really don’t think that’s how I’m going to wake myself up.

What can I do to keep myself busy instead, until the two show up? Ideas race though my mind but I know I’m not talented enough to do most of them.

“Oh...” A smirk begins to creep across my face as I finally decide. “That will work.” Turning towards the bay below, I allow the energy inside me to cascade forth.

The subzero beam crashes against the waves and instantly freezes them. In minutes the sheet of ice is already a few feet thick and growing before my eyes.

When I’m finally satisfied it can hold my art, I begin to lift my fingers carefully. First I create a pair of rough looking feet, one with only four toes.

“Slow down and focus, don’t want to make a monster.” Gritting my teeth in frustration, I move onto the bare calves.

I don’t really notice when the bridge gets barricaded from both sides. But I do appreciate when it gets quiet.

I’m putting the finishing touches on the woman’s head and getting ready to move onto the arms. Though of course that’s when the heroes finally arrive.

“Trying to put out a personal ad?” The red headed sidekick laughs at the same time his arrow strikes the road beside me. “Realized it was the only way you’d find your dream girl?”

The cloud of green smoke billows up around me and I start to cough. But even as my breathing starts to slow down, I react as if someone else is piloting my body.

I roll to the side and reflexively create a wall of ice, before growling back at the figments of my imagination. “New York has the Statue of Liberty. I figured Star City should have our own Statue of Nudity.”

That gets a string of laughter from Green Arrow and he thankfully calls out for Speedy to wait. “This is a new kind of crime for you. What inspired this?”

I can vaguely remember that Cameron’s father is in Belle Reve. Though I’m pretty sure that wasn’t in the first two episodes.

When I realize the archers are still waiting for an answer, I wrack my brain. “Dad’s in jail now and I decided I wanted to do my own thing.”

“So you decided on graffiti?” Of course Speedy isn’t going to give me a break. “You probably should have taken some art classes first, because that’s terrible.”

“I don’t know,” Defends Green Arrow and it makes me smile. “It’s not that bad. You can definitely see he had a good idea, even if the technique isn’t quite up to snuff.” His easy going tone gets just a little bit harder. “Only problem is, that’s still going to be a danger to the entire city. Probably cause more damage than anything else you’ve ever done.”

“What are you talking about?” I’m not trying to wreck anything, just keep myself busy until the dream is over.

“The feet are already starting to melt and when that thing falls over...” Explains Green Arrow as calmly as he can.

His sidekick finishes with a reignited rage directed towards me. “It’s going to make a pretty big wave.”

“Well...” Oops. “You guys should probably go deal with that.” I don’t give them a chance to react and throw myself off the bridge.

While the two archers leap into action and try to safely bring down my statue, I create a slide of ice to catch me. It curves away from the heroes and brings me back towards the city far faster than I could run.

As I whoop in glee, I nearly smack myself in frustration. Why the hell did I stay on the bridge? I should have just done this right away!

Star City
    July 4, 9:14 PM PDT

Once I was on shore, it didn’t take long for my feet to find the way back to the Icebox. Father’s crew was confused to see me back, with a few whispering to each other when they thought I was distracted.

I should have done something about it right away and not just distract myself by playing with my powers. After a few hours I was exhausted and when I emerged from the freezer, every was giving me strange looks.

“Something on my face?” Why are my dream henchmen acting so weird?

“Sorry about this Cam,” One of the bigger thugs shrugs at me, while a scrawny blonde opens the back door. “But you wasn’t supposed to come back for months. We needed a new boss.”

“What?” Heavy thuds announce the arrival of a very large guest.

“I gave you to the count of ten to leave, but it’s a long hallway.” The massive man has bright red skin and a nearly seven foot stature. “You ran out of time before I even made it halfway.”

Brick slams his meaty left fist into his equally massive right, stalking towards me with a mocking grin on his face. Instead of running like I would if this was reality, I decide the dream’s not very fun anymore.

A blast of pale blue slams against Brick’s chest and starts to cover him in a layer of ice. But to my shock, the powerhouse still manages to reach me.

With a single swing of one of his basketball sized fists, pain explodes in my skull. I have only a second to think it’s strange that didn’t wake me up, before feeling my back slam hard into the floor. MY vision fades into blackness and I finally realize this might not be a dream.

2. Sid G

Sid G Know what you're doing yet?

Nice! This looks like fun.

!Renzie0 and Flightless Man like this.
  3. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

You see, that's the problem. Learn from Thor people:

Always aim for the head.

All the muscles you gained from trading brainpower mean jackshit if your brain is freezing

Also forgot to trademark Flightless IceMan.

4. Flightless Man

It's not going to be as light hearted as the Stannis fic, but it's going to be a lighter tone than the cartoon is.

Well, the SI is from 2008 (I was 17 on July 4, same age as Cameron.), with a little timey whimey stuff so the show aired that year instead of 2010. So he doesn't know that meme.

The SI spent all day making ice sculptures and art style applications of his powers. He's going to be thinknig of how to fight once his headache is gone.

That is amazing!

5. Sid G

Sid G Know what you're doing yet?

Something to consider.

How does his power work?

Does he emit an energy beam that transmutes whatever it touches into ice or does he cool down, condense and freeze the water vapor in the air to generate ice over whatever he aims at?
    Does he absorb energy from whatever he aims at?
    Does he use his own mana/energy/qi (or unexplained source of meta ability) to slow down molecular vibration of whatever he is aiming at to cool them down?

There are so many possibilities and each might result in a different fighting style and might lend themselves to interesting twists during your fight scenes.

6. Flightless Man

From what my research showed, Icicle Jr uses his own energy(not sure what his father's tech is based on in canon, but I have an idea for this fic and why it gave his son these specific powers.) to create ice out of nothing. He had no problems in a desert enviroment, so he can't be converting ambient moisture. He also creates ice on things like rocks, so he can't really be absorbing the energy either.

It's definitly going to mean stamina is an issue in his fights. Based on his body design change with consecutive seasons, he can control what the ice on his body is shaped like.

7. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

yeah....there is a reason Ice Man (Marvel) is an omega level mutant, and that same thing apply to Jr. here. The energy requirement to just flash cool things to the point you can turn salt-water into icebergs is mind boggling insane. You need to remove 334kilojoules of energy just to turn 1kg of water into ice. A cheetah at 70mph is only 20kj. And Jr is basically doing that every. damn. second.

I don't care who you are, that much heat-energy being removed is going stop brutes.

8. Flightless Man

And it really should. the problem is, we see Superboy tank the same amount of exposure from Icicle Jr and it barely slows him down. Icicle isn't turning things to ice, he's adding ice. He didn't freeze the bay's salt water, he added more water/ice (going to cause side effect problems). M'gann surviving meant she was only covered and not transformed into ice.

So realistically Icicle is probably more of a low/mid level Alpha, once he gets better training. His body isn't solid ice, he has frostbite blue skin and covers his body with some ice armor.

9. Kadehex

Kadehex Getting sticky.

Junior will probably get more stronger when he figures out how to make blue ice(most durable type) instead of his regular ice

10. Threadmarks: Chapter 2: Snowwhere to Go
    Flightless Man

Chapter 2: Snowwhere to Go
    Star City
    July 5, 5:45 AM PDT

As the morning light spills onto my face, the foul stench of what I assume is the chicken coop fills my nose. Must have hit my head and passed out. With an explanation for the strangely realistic dream, I open my eyes in preparation for the day.

It’s not the chicken coop I find myself in. Peering around reveals I’m on my back in a rusty dumpster, covered in in what I hope is just Chinese food. The sight of my still greyish-blue fingers is what finally gets me to move.

“It wasn’t a dream.” Groaning as the pain in my head grows more intense, I fail to hear the sound of a woman chuckling. “What the hell is going on?”

As I reach for the rim of the dumpster, a layer of flowing ice starts to grow around me. Like a second skin it coats my body, with my hands and forearms growing thick like clawed gauntlets.

Trying not to hyperventilate, I hoist myself up and over the edge. I misjudge my new strength and tumble onto the pavement.

“Ouch.” I groan as I try to sit back up.

“Stay down.” A voice that I’ve never heard but recognize somehow, hisses at me the same time a boot slams into my chest. “We need to talk about your failure yesterday.”

When I look up and see a masked girl in a green kimono, I have to hold my self back from leering at her legs. The sai in her hand is far too close to my left eye, for me to risk my normal lip.

“I need to go to get into Belle Reve as soon as possible don’t I?” The memory of Icicle senior ordering me to get arrested is enough for me to sputter out an answer.

“Yes.” Jade nods and more memories start to fill in the gaps. “So why did you run from the archers?” The daughter of a family friend, but where’s her sister?

Thinking as fast as I can, my words come out in a series of rushed wheezes. “I haven’t really done enough on my own to actually end up in the big house.” She snorts in amusement, but does nod for me to continue.

“I need to work on my portfolio first.” Prisoners can still get an education. “Show everyone I’m not just following my dad’s orders.” This will be my chance to apply to an art school and go legit. “You know...” A smirk grows as the beginning of a plan starts to form. “Find my own way to Candy Mountain.”

“What?” I can tell she’s scowling at me, even behind the cat like mask. “... Doesn’t matter.” Jade shakes her head and growls down at me. “Just know that this is the only warning you’re going to get. Don’t make Sportsmaster pay you a visit.”

A date flashes in my memories and I scowl in resignation. “I need to be in Belle Reve by the end of August. I’ll make sure it happens.”

When Jade stops pressing down on my chest, I take the chance to get an amazing view of her legs. “See something you like?”

“Just trying to get inspiration for my next piece.” I may have memories of Cameron being awkward around girls and being a braggart. But he was just looking at his life the wrong way.

Instead of whining over not being a top tier super villain, he should have been revelling in the fact that he had powers at all. I’m not going to make the same mistakes my body has been his whole life.

“You might not die in prison.” She finally snorts after a tense few seconds of silence. “I’m glad you finally found your balls. You’re going to need them.” With a snap of her leg, she sends my head crashing back against the dumpster.

By the time I manage to clamber to my feet, Jade is long gone. First thing’s first. Can’t be going by Junior anymore, not if I want to get tried as an adult.

Instead of trying to wipe the slime off of me, I focus on the layer of somehow fluid ice now covering me. It only takes a few moments of focus before it cracks and crumbles away.

“Oh that’s so much better.” I stretch in relief even as a new layer starts to regrow reflexively. “And of course they took my wallet.” All of pockets have been turned out, with my old crew only leaving my in my trash soaked jeans.

“Clothes, food, and transportation.” I mutter to myself and decide my destination can be decided later. “All of which can be acquired with money.”

What I’m going to do should make me feel bad, I know that. But I’ve already stolen a body somehow. It’s not like some petty crime will really scar my soul.

As long as I don’t hurt any people, I can focus on theft and property damage. Once I’m in Belle Reve, I can finish whatever my final mission is for the Shadows.

Then I can do whatever I want once I serve my time. And I can probably speed that up with some kind of work release program. If I add to the polar ice packs and some glaciers, that should shave a decade off my sentence.

With a confident stride quite unlike the cocky swagger this body used to have, I emerge from the alley ready to face a new day. My eyes roam the street and scan for anyone out this early.

“Hey you!” Coming out of an older apartment building, is a cyclist with his bike in hand. “Don’t move!”

He tries to flee, only for me to meet him at the bottom of the stairs. I cross my arms and shake my head at the middle aged man.

“I was only going to take the bike. But you made me run and I hate doing that.” Gym is the only class I did worse in than art. “So now I want you’re wallet.”

He doesn’t try to argue once I make my fingers glow blue, dropping the bike and tossing his wallet at me with shaking hands. “And the helmet.” I probably don’t need it, but I’m not risking the wrath of my grandmother’s ghost.

“Thanks Mark.”I frown at the shaking man and start to feel a little bad. “Now I can’t have you calling the cops for a little while. So how about we make a deal?”

Mark nods slowly as I return his driver’s license to the wallet. “Good. So if you don’t call this in until I get something faster, I’ll leave the wallet and bike somewhere for you.” He blinks in confusion and I make sure to clarify with a wink. “I just want the money. We don’t look anything alike, so I can’t use this to get into any strip clubs.”

“How long do I have to wait ...” Mark pauses as he looks for the right way to phrase it. “Before calling in my stolen bike?”

“Just check the news every few hours. I should be out of here by dinnertime.” It’s not going to be hard to find a dealership.

And I have enough cash to bribe a homeless person to grab some clothes. I can hit the drive though on the way out of town and start my mayhem.

The California redwoods are supposed to be nice this time of year... Maybe that should be my first stop?

July 5, 10:29 AM PDT

Star City is almost a mirror of San Francisco and it doesn’t take long for me to pass a streetcar on my way downhill. It takes less than twenty minutes to get a hoodie thrown at me, with socks and sweat pants wrapped up inside.

“Crocs?” I scowl at the bright pink ‘shoes’.

“I didn’t think normal shoes would fit those feet.” The sweaty woman I assume is a prostitute rasps back and takes a long drag off the smoke I know she bought with my money.

When I glance down and take in the ice build up that’s nearly as thick as the stuff on my forearms, I sigh in frustration. “Thanks. Here’s your payment.” I hand her the three hundred I managed to withdraw from Mark’s account.

She snatches the cash from my hand and doesn’t wait for another word before scampering away. Senior really hasn’t given our family a good rep in this city.

“And now I need something better than a ten speed.” The bike was nice but it’s not going to get me out of the state.

After an hour of staking out the Suzota dealership, I finally decide the soccer mom van will be the most discreet. And I can sleep in it.

Pulling open the front door, I growl at the approaching salesmen. “Get me your manager.”

He doesn’t react until I rip off my hood, revealing my very recognizable face. Well... at least in Star City.

“I need a car and you have a choice.” The manager is hit with my offer the second he emerges from his office. “You give my one off the lot and call it in once I’m gone...” My eyes scan the employees for any sign of heroics and I thankfully find none. “Or I can trash every single one in the lot and take one of yours.”

“Which one do you want?” The pudgy man with a comb over gasps in sheer terror, making that feeling of shame return.

“The turquoise van in the corner of the lot.” The keys slam into my chest a moment later and the manager thrusts the salesman at me.

“Anthony here will get you all set up!” Once the order has been given, the cowardly boss flees back into his office.

“Well let’s go Tony, I don’t want to be here when the cops show up.” He leads me out into the yard and gets confused when I stop him halfway. “I want your van. Your boss is already calling in this one, so I need to buy myself some time.”

He hands me his keys with fear in his eyes and I sigh once again. “And can you make sure the bike and this wallet go to the cops. They can give them back to the dude I stole them from.”

11. Flightless Man

Well, you can say you called it when it happens now. I spent a few hours researching different kinds of ice and snow before I started writing this.

12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

If he’s not going by “Junior” we need to come up with a new name!

Blue Snowball(s). Frost Whore. Slick Willy. Tusk. Frostbite. Cold Barb. Blizzard Entertainment. Sculptor. Shatterpoint (if he focuses on ice shards). Azure. Icepick. Snow Angel. Surfer. Coldboot. Icepact. The chill of the grave.

13. Flightless Man

I need to avoid the words freeze, frost, and cold. Otherwise the other ice villains might get upset.

I'll be honest, I haven't fully decided yet on the name. The top contenders I came up with are Cool Whip, Blizzard, Avalanche, Chill, Celsius, Whiteout, Cooler, and Tundra.I do really like Azure though and that's going on the list, as is the idea of something like Articer.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Winter Soldier (or a “rank” to go with his name).

Which civilian name is our protagonist going to use? Plenty of folks in our world change their legal names or use unrelated nicknames.

15. Flightless Man

That's a good one, but he wouldn't really know of the character yet.

Probably Cameron, just because Artemis already knows him personally that way and Speedy/the other heroes know his ID. It helps that he's one of the villains who isn't really publically known by his real name.

Wild Transient and ArcanaVitae like this.
  16. ArtMagnus

ArtMagnus Knight Imperion

Looking good. I'm looking forward for more.

As for names...how about Absolute Zero, Articamity, or Refeidge-ndevour?

17. Threadmarks: Chapter 3: Cold a Grudge
    Flightless Man

Chapter 3: Cold a Grudge
    Patrick’s Point
    July 6, 4:17 PM PDT

In my third car since leaving Star City, I race through the little beach town with the radio cranked as loud as this station wagon can go. The fresh Starbucks in my left hand, already turned into an iced cap. I really do miss eating hot food.

“The five sidekicks are believed to have been trying to capture Icicle Junior.” The host continues to explain how the Icebox was attacked last night, but I was nowhere to be seen. “But the gang leader known as Brick, had taken over the territory before the heroes discovered the hideout.”

When she connects the teens to the fire at Cadmus, I realize that Speedy must have been help up with the statue. If he was even ten minutes late, he wouldn’t have had time to have a tantrum.

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Speedy was in the first episode, he probably rejoined the team pretty fast anyway. And it’s not like him running around solo was going to be that important.

“Sounds like he’s pretty pissed off with me.” My laughter bursts out in waves as I head towards the National Park. “Should probably lay low for a little while and work on my skills.”

With a wince, I think back to the couple dozen animals I’ve left on the side of the road. It is a drought and a bunch of tank sized blocks of ice should help out. But it also proved I really need to practice my craft.

“Let’s see how long it takes to make one of you recognizable.” I’m not ready to make humans look even halfway decent and I don’t have time to waste.

If I want my crime spree to make the right impression on the art community, I need to actually be making some. I can only hope the copy of Alice in Wonderland on the passenger seatwill be enough of a reference.

Stealing the families station wagon really started to bother me before I was even five blocks away. Which ended up with me bursting open an ATM and driving back to the shaken family.

I don’t know exactly how much cash I threw at them. But it was at least a few thousand dollars and way more than they paid for the vehicle.

“The apparent leader of this new unnamed band of heroes, Speedy,” Continues the snarky voice on the radio. “Has promised that his team will hunt down Junior and bring him to justice for his crime spree.”

Definitely need to train, or I’m really going to get hurt when they finally find me. I know I could probably throw myself at the mercy of the heroes. But if I do that, my life is locked in forever.

The villains would never let me get away with selling them out. And I don’t really have any desire to fight for my life every single day.

A big impact with as few casualties as I can cause. That’s what I need each of my crimes to pull off and national monuments will be my best choice. I just need to make sure I’m good enough to leave the right impression first.

When the news report is finally over, the very welcome sound of the Eagles begins to play. Letting myself get distracted, I think over the possibilities for a new name.

“Mortal Kombat is a thing, so I guess just stealing Sub-zero is off the table.” And most of my other ideas just lack any real oomph. “Something Christmas themed will just get me shanked once I hit Belle Reve.”

Maybe something stoic like Tundra? Or maybe something that doesn’t sound so intimidating, like naming myself after the blue hue my ice takes on?

I don’t end up getting any closer to a choice by the time I reach the Redwood park pull off., leaving the decision for later. After I pull down my hood, I stop focusing on how thick the ice around my hands is. Now I want the big scary claws until I get out of the car, otherwise I’ll just end up trashing another ride.

The campsite is filled to overflowing and the park ranger is already getting ready to stop me. But I can’t let that happen and burst out of the car in an aggressive stance. The moment I stop focusing on looking normal, my forearms take on the thick and clawed appearance.

Drop the attitude and do what I say!” My roar stops the Hispanic man in his tracks. “Get all the campers rounded up and call in the rest of your staff. Tell them a kid got lost and you need to organize a search party.”

A quick volley of ice shards pepper the parking lot as I follow the man to the ranger station. I don’t really want to screw over a bunch of families. But I can’t have anyone driving off to alert anyone and some wrecked tires shouldn’t be too expensive.

Redwood Forest National Park
    July 7, 8:24 AM PDT

Blinking at the sun’s glare, I cut off the stream of azure blue energy. “Alright, how about this one?”

As I turn back to my captive audience, I wait patiently for anyone to gather the courage to speak. Can’t really blame them though. I didn’t really take the remarks from the first few attempts very graciously.

“And I promise not to get mad this time.” Glancing over at the ice sheet on the lake and the seven people stuck on it, I realize I might have over reacted. “Come on people. I can’t let you go until I can get this right.”

The scores of Cheshire Cats litter the massive branches and create an eerie feeling of being watched. The first ten barely even look like an animal. But if I can say so, the last couple are starting to look alright.

I made everyone bring the tents into a single large ring, to observe them easier. Yet all it’s down is make me nervous that the crowd will try to rush me.

The rows of terrified faces have been morphing through the night and almost half have been replaced with anger by now. I can take them of course, but I really don’t want to hurt a bunch of innocent people. And definitely not until I know I can do it non lethally.

Realizing none of the adults are going to answer unless I force the issue, I scan the crowd for anyone younger than me. Aha, she’s the perfect age to be a Disney brat!

“What’s your name?” The blonde girl seems to be around ten years old and isn’t clinging to her mother the way the other children are.

She doesn’t answer, probably because her mother wraps a hand around her mouth. “If you tell me your name, I’m a lot less likely to hurt you.” That gets a more positive reaction from the woman and her hand stats to relax. “It’s what they teach in hostage negations at least.”

“Her name is Cassie.” The mother finally offers and removes her hand slowly. “And I’m Helena.” I smirk when the mother follows the advice herself.

“Alright Cassie. Does this one look like the Cheshire Cat, or do I need to try again?” I’m too tired to really be cranky and just want to get someone’s seal of approval.

“The last few have all been pretty good actually.” Admits the completely unafraid girl as she steps in front of her mother. “But everyone was to scared to say anything.”

“Do I really look that scary?” Appearances matter and I don’t want that to be what makes people think I’m evil.

“You made a whole lot of grown men cry last night.” Explains Helena, her voice growing in confidence as well.

Her daughter agrees with a thoughtful nod. “I think it’s the claws and all the spikes. You’d be a lot less scary if you looked like snow instead.” That’s actually pretty good advice.

“How about this?” I focus on protecting my head with a cushion instead of a solid barrier and can feel something happening.

“It kind of looks like you have ice cream for hair now.” Another child chimes in and is quick to introduce himself at his parent’s prompting. “And my name is Nathan. So please don’t kill me Mister Icicle Junior...” He frowns at his feet, very clearly trying to remember the rest of his speech. “Sir!”

“I don’t want to hurt anyone,” I rush to defend myself. “But I need your help mastering my powers and I really needed somewhere out of the way to do it.”

I don’t really pay attention to Cassie, but she carefully approaches my latest creation while I’m distracted. “And now I really don’t want to hurt you either. You don’t seem so mean.”

When I do finally turn back to the blonde girl, it’s to a very shocking sight. “So I’ll give you a choice.” I don’t know how she did it so quietly, but she has the giant ice sculpture held above her head. “You can run away right now. Or I can beat you up.”

I have no idea which hero she’s related too, but I’m not taking my chances with an angry father. “Uh...” Swallowing in fear as I run through the known possibilities, I start to get even more concerned over the idea of her being a villains kid. “No need for that Cassie. I said I’d leave once I got a thumbs up.”

18. ThedudeManBro

Junior.... Really is taking the gag Mook Villain status to a level never before seen by normal man.

Polka-Dot Man is starting to get piiiiiissed~

19. Flightless Man

He told Jade she inspired his next piece. She's definitly going to get the wrong idea out of his Grafitti spree.

I always prefered Condiment King myself, but I have already used him a couple times. Polka Dot man could be a fun change.

20. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Who knows, with enough time, effort, and a few miracles, he could reach heights completely unreachable by his former self!

...Like Kite Man, or Crazy Quilt. Maybe if he's really lucky he could end up on the level of Condiment King. :V

21. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

did...did he just run into prepubescent Wonder Girl randomly while playing in the woods? That is about the most shit-level luck ever.

22. Flightless Man

Well I'm already thinking about how to work in Polkadot man. Kite Man could also work. And yes... I have an idea!

He did, but he has no idea who she really is. He's thinking she's Kara with a secret ID.

23. Threadmarks: Interlude 1: The Boys
    Flightless Man

Interlude 1: The Boys
    Star City
    July 5, 1:49 AM PDT

“You will not be doing this again.” Batman’s words ring out with a sense of finality. But this time it isn’t enough to silence the teenage heroes and one red head in particular.

“Screw that!” Speedy barks out in response, his stubborn green eyes searching his friends faces for support.. “You trained us for what?” He pant’s in frustration, his voice dripping it thick with each word. “Some kind of guided tour, or maybe you’re just training us to be your secretaries?”

“We saved people today,” Adds the more reserved Kaldur’ahm with a wince towards his king. “The five of us, together did so.”

Not one to be left out of the new flow, Wally stands firm beside his friends. “And we will again.”

“You spend all this time looking after the world, but America’s crime rate has been going up since you formed the League.” When Robin chimes in with the real hard facts, it’s clear to the Mentors what’s about to happen.

“Superman already bailed...” The apparent leader growls out as he points his bow towards the vanishing cape. “So why don’t you follow his lead and let us figure this out ourselves!”

When the red cape is gone from sight, Superboy crosses his arms and stands in the middle of the sidekicks. “Heroes are supposed to help people. So why are you trying to stand in our way?”

It’s clear he doesn’t understand the nuance of why, but the words get his rescuers to quickly agree. With the Archer Roy, leading the teens towards one of his safe houses.

“My mom is going to kill me,” Groans Kid Flash as the sidekicks make their dramatic exit from the Cadmus lot. “I was supposed to be home by ten and it’s... a whole lot later than that right now.”

“You can always call her.” Snorts his best friend, the smirking Robin. “As if it’s okay to have a sleep over.”

“Tell her you’re going to check out some campuses with me.” Offers the oldest of the group with a look of consideration growing on his face. “You can stay here until school starts.”

Nodding at the idea, Wally eventually shrugs in acceptance. “Better than my idea of running home and leaving her a note.”

“Wouldn’t that take you like two hours?” Chuckling once he runs the numbers in his head, Robin follows the others towards a run down bowling alley.

“Better than facing my mom’s wrath for breaking curfew.” Counters the speedster instantly. “Because I really don’t think Unc-” He manages to change his words at the last moment. “The Flash is going to cover for me this time.”

“You can be scared of your mother.” Speedy grunts as he shoulders open the back door. “I’m more concerned with why my uncle was working for the bad guys and tracking down that moron Junior.”

“I can help with the second thing,” Offers a still smirking Robin. “But you’re on your own with Guardian.”

Star City
    July 6, 6:56 AM PDT

“Are you sure this is the right way to handle this?” The Flash mutters under his breath to his two comrades. “Shouldn’t we still be trying to make them wait?”

Not even bothering to turn his head, Batman just grunts out his firm response. “It’s too late for that and you know it. They’ve decided to act and now all we can do is maintain the illusion that it’s the way they want it.”

Even though he’s on board with the overall plan, some parts are still bothering Green Arrow. “By giving them access to the Zeta tubes?”

“Restricted access.” Reminds the Dark Knight with a small smirk gracing his lips. “America and Poseidonis only. We don’t want them causing an international incident for at least a few more years.”

“Do we really need to lie to Kaldur?” The Flash pauses in concern and turns to the one who doesn’t seem to be freaking out.

Without even blinking, Batman is quick to answer. “We need to slow them down for a few days so we can get them approval to operate in America.”

“And it’s not really lying,” Adds the local archer. “Arthur does need to speak with him over the choice made last night.”

“And sending them after Icicle Junior?” Flash finally seems to be coming around and sighs heavily.

“He’s a known quantity-” Starts Batman.

Only for Green Arrow to interrupt with a confused snort. “I thought he was. But his stunt really surprised me.”

“Which one?” With a wary look, the Flash fishes for information on the ice powered teen. “The Statue of Nudity, or the string of stolen cars?”

“Honestly?” Green Arrow frowns at his friends and sighs. “Everything he’s done the last few days is pretty weird.”

“He’s been doubling back and making it incredibly difficult to pin down his destination.” Agrees the one doing most of said tracking. “It will keep Robin and his friends busy, until we can think of something better.”

Once the archer opens the door to one of his many buildings scattered throughout the state, the three heroes stalk towards the sleeping proteges. When the security is turned of with only a few muttered words, Batman just shakes his head in disappointment.

“You’re going to need to improve the defences here,” His eyes scan the room and only finds a half dozen measures. “Or I’ll have to get Alfred to slip some better ideas to Robin. As it is, this place wouldn’t last ten minutes in a fight.”

“I’d rather we get them out of my city and somewhere a little slower to start out.” The green clad hero argues in a hushed whisper. “Maybe they should go to Central and deal with your strangely friendly foes.”

The Flash just shakes his head and stamps out that idea. “Most of the Rogues are pretty tame but theirs far too many of them.”

The final member of the group decides to finally speak, with Guardian not being so quick to dismiss the teens. “They took on a whole lot of Genomorphs and Suberboy. I think they’ll surprise you.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.” Admits the Gothamite.

“What are you doing here?” The voice of Roy Harper interrupts and draws the heroes gaze towards his new look.

The yellow of his costume is gone along with his robin hood styled hat. Now looking more like a crimson version of his mentor, Roy blocks the stairs with crossed arms.

“Came to admit you had a few good points.” Green Arrow starts when he gets the signal from Batman. “Like how we shouldn’t be trying to coddle you.” It takes every fibre of his being to not break his composure uttering that lie.

Taking his que, the Flash is quick to continue. “And after Kaldur gets back from Atlantis, you have our approval to operate.”

“What do you mean back?” Roy blinks at the odd news. “Why does he have to go anywhere?”

“Aquaman is still his king you know.” The older archer points out with a wink. “And he wants to discuss the disobedience in his own domain.”

“And Kid really needs to go home before his mom kills me.” Adds the scarlet speedster with a wry chuckle.

Jim tries to steer the subject towards his own presence. “Give you a chance to show Superboy the city and life outside Cadmus.”

“Why are you here?” Superboy growls from behind Roy, with the other boys heard climbing the stairs.

“I got fired for letting you escape and need a new job.” Guardian explains as he removes his helmet. “So I was wondering if you’d have any use for an out of retirement hero. I know the fast kid could use some help with his combat and you never know, it might come in handy to have an adult on staff.”
    “I don’t know...” Roy looks about ready to deny the offer, once he manages to find a polite way to do so that is.

“I can help Robin track down Icicle’s hideout while you and Superboy check the city for clues.” His uncle suggests carefully. “I’m not really all that interested in wearing this get up in the field. But I don’t mind playing secretary and coach for you.”​

24. ProfessorP.Hardraad

ProfessorP.Hardraad Thread Necromancer

That's a fair bit of butterflies. Looking forward to how the clones' constant presence changes things.

25. ThedudeManBro

The fact that Waller now has TWO plants in the Justice League Camp (even if it's the Kiddy League) is enough to have the stick up her ass receding a few millimeters.

Congrats Iceboi: even when your not trying, and away from the site, you somehow still screw something/someone up by association:V

26. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

I think you mean the Light? Amanda Waller is currently serving as the Warden of Belle Reve and only becomes the leader of Task Force at a much later point. The moral ambiguity and corruption that defined her character in the movies and comics isn't really present in Young Justice

27. ThedudeManBro

... Fuck me and fuck the mess that is the ever shifting comic Canon in every instance.

Thank you for correcting me.

28. Flightless Man

Delaying Speedy and GA even 15 minutes, meant he didn't have time to throw a tantrum. Which gave him the whole night to rile the boys up with ideas of going independent.

The Light and Shadows will really not care about Icicle sliping away anymore.

At least next time something goes wrong, it's going to be his direct fault again.

Thank you, that really means a lot to me.

She really is a lot closer to her DCAU iteration. Which is a good thing considering that's the SI's only really knowledge of her. And it's also a very good thing Task Force X hasn't been created yet and not something Waller would consider yet.

29. Oliham23

Oliham23 Not too sore, are you?

I’ll admit I enjoy him running around not really knowing what he’s doing, it’s a fun change from the usual op inserts. I do hope that he learns how to fight eventually though because watching him run away from 10 year olds is gonna get tiring eventually.

!Renzie0 and Flightless Man like this.
  30. Heros-Venator

Heros-Venator Know what you're doing yet?

It’s like he is becoming a GTA character doing crazy dumb shit