1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

This reminds me I know Zatanna wanted to convert religions after the angels killed Paul. Is she still Christian? Did she officially convert to some other religion or what?

KenNM, Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  2. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Hmm... I mean. In theory, a ring should still be able to augment him well, and replicate rare resources and whatnot... though you're also pretty likely to run into the same issues synthesized blood did early on of needing to be 'vitalized' by something. But... a Power Ring in a Cultivation setting is very much a case of 'One-Man Singularity' if it's useful at all, and such a Paul would struggle with the whole uplifting thing.

Cuchulin and mastermenthe like this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

As you noted, without absorbing Qi for thousands/millions of years all those rare resources would just be completely mundane copies.

And uplifting would run face first into the problem of Paul having to actually play the face game.

4. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

The best result I can see is achieving Jianghu genre, modern conveniences with cultivation repressed to the. Criminal underground and jackboot military.

Although, in a perfect world, I'd hope for Jianghu to eventually evolve into Eclipse Phase crossed over with EYE: Divine Cybermancy crossed over with Megaman Battle Network crossed over with One Step From Eden.

ashadowalker and Vorian like this.
  5. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

*me waggles hand*

Even discounting the possibilities of a Power Ring replicating shit, it would absolutely be a major advantage in helping to cultivate. Just locating spirit stones or other cultivation resources at long range, being able to scan around to find shit(even if important stuff is likely warded, there's liable to be low level sects/clans to steal from), etc. To say nothing of the more basic advantages of a ring like flying and protective constructs.

It's impossible to say how generally useful a Power Ring is as a weapon in a xianxia setting because there's wide ranges of power levels. Something like Battle Through the Heavens, and it is gonna be massively useful at basically everything up until Dou Di. Meanwhile, in Desolate Era a power ring isn't gonna take you terribly too far.

Xianxia!Paul probably uses the Ring to jump start his own cultivation. He may or may not be able to charge it off local resources, but in any event likely has to rely more and more on his cultivation as he climbs the ladder.

So you know, standard xianxia stuff complete with cheat.

6. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Qi, souls, and the ability to cultivate are almost never defined well enough or consistently enough to connect them with mundane technology and science. Can anyone even properly answer the question of where Qi comes from? Living creatures? The physical world? Souls?

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Doesn't really matter. Power rings are computerized batteries.

Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum energy, magic, cosmic cube energy, the power cosmic, lightning, nuclear energy, cosmic radiation. Power rings have been shown to absorb them all.

Why would Qi be the sole exception?

8. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

You might be able to get another one of her incarnations, she pops up in pretty much every pantheon in Mesopotamia and the Levant. There are like eight different pantheons that all have Ishtar in them, but virtually no other members in common.

Also, Sekhmet turned down Athena on account of not swinging that way, right Zoat? By that I mean, it wasn't out of any ideological opposition to tying the two pantheons together. Durga/Kali would also make a good match if you want to tie pantheons, she's probably the highest-ranked war goddess outside of Ishtar, and based on what we saw during the Sheeda invasion the Hindu pantheon is also looking to be more active. I'm pretty sure the Hurrians or Hittites or some other people that started with an H had a war goddess in charge of their whole pantheon too.

I'm just surprised none of the Amazons have suggested Nike.

Cuchulin and Caerwen like this.
  9. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I was thinking the reverse. Power rings would have power, but what could they even do in that setting? For a new user, power rings can mimic mundane physics. But in a Xianxia world, is anything even mundane? If QI is literally everywhere and in everything, does this mean that it all has the innate resistance to ring manipulation that magical items do, at least for low level ring users? Where even the dirt is hard to influence, because it's filled with earth Qi? Will a ring be able to heal, augment, or harm anyone, seeing as how it probably can't copy or produce Qi, and everyone has Qi? Fill flight even be possible with all the Qi infused in the air? The question of how a power ring will work in that setting depends on the nature of Qi, which is unclear and inconsistent.

Vaermina, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think she's converted.

Paul is looking for a god that can fulfill the violent side of war, so maybe Nike can't do that.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Maybe look to the Mayan or Aztec pantheons, they could do brutality really well. Another suggestion would be The Morrígan who is/are really great at violence and blood shed.

Vorian and Lord Ernest like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Regnancy (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th October 2012
    20:02 GMT

Artemis looks out across what little can be seen of the surface of Bylan 5.

"Nice place. Other-you do this?" Soulscent Tracking.

Radioactive ash and a plethora of toxic chemicals fill the once-breathable atmosphere. I can hear rumbles of thunder as ion lightning leaps between layers of mutually antagonistic chemicals, but I can't see the lightning itself because the pea soup is just too thick. If whatever did this isn't ongoing at least some of this should have settled out by now. If there were any of the native species left I'd toss a couple of power rings at them so they could start fixing it, but as far as I can tell there aren't.

"I'm not really sure. I don't think so. I've got most of his memories… Reasonably well integrated, and I think I'd remember doing something like this."

"You said you got messed up after you tried coping with Vandal Savage's memories."

"I did, and I barely retain any of it, but this is different. Other Grayven's memories were… Formatted to someone who thinks like I do. I might forget things, or not immediately call them to mind, but I shouldn't just… Blank on something." Just Give Up.

"I don't… Feel anything."

"Me neither, but all the other sites had at least something."

Wrecks, small abandoned New God outposts from the last big war, and one warren inhabited by a bioengineered insectoid weapon species that positively reeked of Apokolips. My guess is that he acquired the Absolute Dominion and the parts needed to repair it by going down the list and eventually getting lucky. But this place… Couldn't detect anything from orbit.

"What could do this?"

"Orbital bombardment heavy enough to breach the mantle over a large area. That would provide a source of heat, and… Depending on the elements involved, the chemicals and radiologicals. There are pure spite weapons that could do this temporarily, and… You could make some sort of foul terraforming engine to do this directly."

"Should we look for it? Can't be that hard to shut it down. Then we might actually be able to see where we're going."

I shake my head.

"Doesn't feel right. All the other sites were dead. No one's going to abandon a machine like that in case younger species get ideas above their station." I shake my head. "Mass ecological vandalism isn't my speciality. He and I are both too inclined towards efficiency. Even that ridiculous harvest snake the Citizenry used is more efficient than this."

"Sometimes it's just about sending a message."

"How do you send a message when there's no one to hear it?" I shake my head. "No, don't answer that. It could be. It just doesn't feel right. This is something Apokolips might do to a site of symbolic importance… A holy world or something. But this wasn't."

I hold up my left hand.

"Kara Zor-El, found anything?"

"Yes. You are standing on compressed ash. The original surface of the planet is two hundred metres below you. Below that is a structure containing non-native elements."

Ring?

Unable to locate.

"Kara, are you sure about that? Neither my ring or the Absolute Dominion's sensors are showing anything."

"Kryptonian sensors are superior. And less well known to the New Gods."

I'm not sure about the first, but the second is certainly true. There are limits to what sensor masking can achieve when you can work on the level of detail that we can. The ability to absorb electromagnetic radiation and heat doesn't mean all that much when you're scanning for changes in molecular density. Heck, even for advanced civilisations dummying ultrasound scans is a pain. Interfering with the returns is simple, but disguising that something interfered with them is hard.

But New God technology is designed to interface with the soul, and there are ways to convince it to lie to the user. And power rings have no particular ability to bypass magic. Brute force backed by a strong soul, on the other hand…

I float a little way into the air and generate a huge excavator construct, force generating rings tearing into the ground and dragging out a continuous column of material. Initially all I see is the same dark ash that we're standing on, then after a few moments it changes to dull grey bedrock.

Then there's a hole.

I toss the column aside, letting it fall to the ground with a crash and plume of ash. Down there… No, still not picking up anything of significance. Still, if Kara's wrong then I've only wasted a few minutes.

I turn to Artemis. "Ladies f-?"

She looses her arrow and vanishes as it disappears into the pit. I stride over thin air, looking down for a moment as I dismiss my construct, and then drop.

I fall a kilometre in a few seconds before increasing power to my aero discs and reducing speed to a rate less likely to crush Artemis to death if I land on her. I should probably feel some sort of danger here… Not because a fall like this is actually a threat to me, but some… Residual squishy human instinct? But, no. All I feel is mild curiosity. And it is mild, as I don't really expect anything outstanding, just something slightly better hidden.

I guess that between Magic Horse Land and Bondage Elf Land, a mere hole in the ground containing the secrets of the gods doesn't really-.

"Are you really ennuing?"

I shrug my right shoulder as I reach the bottom of the hole.

"Maybe a bit. Aren't you?"

"I did an off the cuff speech about global economic integration in civics class last week. Think I'm getting a 'A'."

"Not an A P-?"

"Not an A Plus because the question was about forest management."

"But you can't just ask about forest management, because it's affected by temperature, rain pH-."

"And a loada other things that don't relate to just one country, which is why I'm getting an A and a place on the FBI's watch list."

I flash her a frown as she examines the bottom of the hole. "You weren't there already? Disappointing."

"It's a different list." Tracking the Prey.

"So what have we got?"

"Looks like New God armour, but I can't feel it. You getting anything?"

Hm. Master Of All I Survey.

"Not a dickybird. I'll-."

She splutters with laughter. "What?"

"What? Dickyb-? Anything. Like, not even a small bird?"

"That's a word?"

I stare at her. "How have you known me for this long-" I draw my sword and stab it into the armoured plate. "-and not heard me say it?"

"You've never said it."

I frown. "I must have-."

"You haven't." I shove downwards with my daiklave, but I don't quite punch through. "Want a hand?"

I shake my head, traversing the blade to slowly cut a plug out. "Just jump through with a beacon when I've made a hole. This is a little more effort than they made at the other sites. Maybe this will be interesting."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  13. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Gotta say I'm shipping Artemis and Graven-Paul... She's had more character development put into her than Jade and the majority of the other female cast members in both paragon and renegade paths. Except maybe Paragon Zatanna

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Unfortunately for you, that's never going to happen. The two have stated that they are platonic life partners, nothing more.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he could have potentially recorded it and was planning on showing it later, or maybe he had someone on his ship see the destruction, like Tarkin had Leia watch Alderan be destroyed.

Or maybe he was feeling spiteful and petty.

You can say all you want about him being efficient, but he was still a monster raised on Apokalips and had a lot of their characteristics.

He may have been better than them, but it's not like he had much competition.

That's probably the Eradicator talking.

"load of"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  16. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Dickybird now there's a word I haven't heard in decades.

My granddad used to keep birds, so to differentiate from the other set of grandparents, we called him 'grandad-dickies'.

Sounds a lot less innocent nowadays.
    It was a different era, I suppose. People didn't have such dirty minds.

Or maybe birdkeepers just never gave a fuck?
    They be like "Yeah I'm breeding blue-chested tits, what are you gonna do about it, bitch?"

17. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't forget the Boobies.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Sorry, what are they looking for? Just going over old Apokalyptian outposts for funsies?

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

*searches the story only thread*

Not a single mention of dickybird until this update. :V

20. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long, long time.

21. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Y'know I was just thinking to myself 'I wonder what Rene-Artemis is doing right now?' I'm glad to have an answer to that question.

Hmm... I forget what is renegade working towards right now? Aside from world domination because I think he's cleared most of his enemies now? I mean Paragon is generally working against the reach in the background is Renegade only doing the world domination thing now?

I think they're cleaning up after Grayven-16

ChestBurster, kerleth and JoTa34 like this.
  22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

simple

23. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Tbf, I like that better, and seeing those interactions. Those types of deep, platonic bonds are explored far too infrequently in fiction.

ChestBurster, Vorian, kerleth and 8 others like this.
  24. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

We had a whole arc filled with Pauls and none of them said dickybird. Clearly Rengade!Paul is absorbing a new Source concept. Something which resonates with the core of English culture.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, is the Renegade taking stock of what he acquired from his local namesake? About time, unless Grayven was very successful and the Renegade's been working on and off to catalogue it all.

...I don't see either Grayven being this... Wasteful.

Only because of the sheer vastness of the memories of someone 50,000 years old. Even if a lot of it was just walking places, fighting people, eating food or bedding women, that's a hell of a lot of time.

Hmm... Telling her to drop it via Godspeech, making it an order from mentor to student? Bit rude.

So, Apokalips laid a hellacious smackdown on this planet... Wonder what they did to earn that?

True enough. After all, most fictional terraforming methods and devices generally don't treat any existing biosphere nicely. Even realistic scientific theories aren't too subtle about it.

What would be the point? This place is a burnt cinder.

...This sounds like a bit more than a message.

...Or they were trying to hide something? Turning a planet into a deathworld would make most species take one look at it and move on.

Verrrry interesting.

So either shielded from Maltusian tech, or not distinct enough to register as different.

Easy on the arrogance, girl. Leave that shit to the Renegade.

So whatever set this up knew their shit about concealing things.

Large-scale industrial machinery. Got to love Power Rings.

And with little to no travel time, thanks to Boom Tubes, a few minutes is no big deal.

Heh. Teleporting to the point of impact? There's a clever way of getting around.

I suppose feeling jaded is a common feeling amongst Pauls in this situation.

Well, after however many hundreds of years, of course she'd know him well enough to notice...

Still trying to live a normal life, then? I guess she needs that mundanity to avoid losing all her humanity.

...So, just a bit off-topic.

...Quite a bit off-topic, then.

It's not the League's shit-list, is it? I'm guessing she's more or less quit the Team by now.

An armour plate the size of a country? isolated location, or is the entire planet plated like this, I wonder?

Ah, Renegade, you and your silly British slang.

An actual slang word, yes. And very old-fashioned, I gather.

And laughing at it because it has 'dick' in it? You're a bit older than twelve, missie.

To be fair, the British have a crazy large amount of slang terms, many not in common circulation. And that doesn't even begin to cover subcultures.

If this is New God tech, it might take a lot more than poking at it with a pinprick of a sword. And it'll more than likely take action against you once you're inside...

Still not sure why they're out here, really. Cataloguing Grayven's stolen assets? Looking for the origin of the Absolute Dominion, and whether there might be more where it came from? Change of scenery? At any rate, it's fun to see them interacting like this. No drama, no threat looming overhead, no stress to get in the way of two buddies giving each other friendly shit. :p

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You're giving him too much credit.

Despite seemingly being better than the rest of Apokalips, he was still a lot like them.

Maybe they just felt like blowing the place up.

Good point.

Doubt it, but they may be watching her.

Maybe she's still in it but works a lot more with renegade now.

27. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That's deliberate.
    Write pony fanfiction.
    When your enemy has a list of 'sites of interest', it's advisable to investigate them with alacrity.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I want to hear that speech so much.

ChestBurster and AngelicKnight. like this.
  29. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

I don't think that was Grayven speaking. He said it would be weird for him to just .. blank .. on something like this. The fact that they're here means they've followed Grayven 16's trail, but he still doesn't remember a damn thing about this radioactive dirtball.

I think that bit of Godspeech is foreshadowing why he doesn't remember.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘pH’, I think.

This seems like it could be an interesting plotline, although I’m glad it’s just supplementary, since I was enjoying the current Paragon plotline.