1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Amaterasu would have an extremely strong case otherwise.

ChestBurster, Caerwen, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

True, but Superman might just be immortal or close to it.

3. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I wonder what made Tyr show up here and abandon his own pantheon since last we heard they were doing the whole prepare for apocalypse thing in general while helping villains.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A little of column A, a little of column B... I would not be surprised if he could now cmprehend the workings of a reasonably advanced device at a glance, whether it be pure science or full magitech. Which means OL might want to be careful about his rings, or he'll turn up one day to find the Olympians running around with copies.

What's it matter where he's getting stuff, as long as it's being installed?

Heh. A courtesy visit on behalf of his pantheon, or a private stop-off on the way home from the Rock?

Because they already did that thousands of years ago, back when culture advanced relatively slowly, thanks to limited communication between countries, cities, even towns...

:confused: ...Wait, what? So, a personification of the Statue of Liberty just showed up?

...Or is this a Shinto megami just cosplaying the role? Because Japanese culture is fast-moving and ephemeral in their worship?

And that is an apt description of himself. OL has been showing a lot of self-insight since his last holiday. Definitely good for him.

So... An international economy of worship? With similar faiths like the abrahamic ones as one of those mega-corporations?

Hey, by the Thirtieth Century, it's a recognised faith. It's got to start somewhere.

And more often than not, he responds to those prayers... By rescuing people or stopping natural disasters... Dammit.

He can't help what people think of him, can he?

Forgive the young one, honoured elder. The young are hasty and foolish, they have no patience for proper politeness.

Oh, she is definitely a creation of Modern Japan. There's few other places that could take such a... Business-like approach to faith.

And she's proposing a corporate merger. How modern of her.

I could see a lot of the smaller, less-widely worshipped pantheons agreeing. The various African ethnic groups or half-forgotten pantheons like the South American faiths.

...Not in an official capacity, I would expect?

Oh, don't tell me...

And that's entirely how I'd expect a Nordic god to turn up.

Word really does spread fast, eh? :p

Tyr, the evenhanded. Pick up that phone, Lothlo called it.

Well, he's keen. Let's hope Hephaestaean appreciates that go-getter attitude.

So, an actual applicant turned up. I wonder if this will be the only god arriving, or if others will show up before long? Perhaps others will visit looking for positions the standing Olympians have been neglecting. At any rate, this certainly won't make Hephaestaean any less busy. Amazing how much a simple change can do for a body.

5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I'll be honest, I never really understood what the Japanese gods were supposed to be doing.

Like, I get they're supposed to be "adopting" nascent entities . . . But how does it benefit them? People aren't literally worshipping Lady Liberty, and even if they were they aren't worshipping her as part of the Japanese pantheon. I'd also assume once it gets out it'd even hurt her standing a little that the spirit of a national symbol is cavorting with the gods of an entirely different nation instead of trying to have some weird American pantheon.

Also, for the standing of Heaven, I'm a little confused. Shouldn't their incursion have secured believers instead of turning them away from the "default"? I could swear they mostly just launched an alpha strike against demon worshippers and the like, and that what they were striking was common knowledge. I'd have thought it being known the angels actually sent out a strike force to smite various evildoers would be good for reaffirming faith.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Olympians are going to be more proactive now and Tyr also seems to be fairly proactive.

Maybe he didn't like his old pantheon.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Why is a member of the Force of July suddenly in this?

Tyr is actually worse then Ares... So the amount Zoat is going to have to retcon here should be hilarious

8. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Loki's a bit hard to predict because we don't actually know what he's actually about.

Turns out, even though they did have their own writing system, the norse didn't actually write their own myths down. So, the earliest records we've got of Loki come from two sources written after Scandinavia turned christian.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It might be the fact that they admitted that they usually don't take literal orders from the Christian God, meaning they can be deceived and are fallible.

KenNM, ChestBurster, kerleth and 4 others like this.
  10. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Yeah, the anthropomorphic personification of freedom should exercise a little more restraint. :D

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well on the Vertigo comics, which features the Shinto, gods can die and stop existing if people stop believing in them and stop worshipping them.

The Shinto essentially acquire various ways which can allow them to absorb the worship and reverence certain people and objects receive, this making sure they can keep their power and continue living.

The things may not be worshipped, but people still think about them and may view them in a reverent way.

It's possible that they can either absorb the reverence certain things have or the people can give it to them.

In this story gods don't require mortal faith to survive, so may the Shinto are recruiting them for an extra power boost or because they want to prevent a potential rival pantheon from forming.

It probably did increase the number of true believers, but that doesn't mean that others still can't choose different faiths.

Yeah, Angels came down to smite demons.

They also attacked places with no demon activity and killed people that criticized them, so people may not be so stocked on them.

The high standards that they have to get into Heaven also may have turned some people away since they think they can't meet those standards and they don't want to end up on fire for the rest of their existence.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  12. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Me: Please tell me that he brought a thesis on his past 5000 years of battles, wars, duels, all things relating to War. Please for the love of the lord, tell my he didn’t being a bag containing 5000 years worth of kills? Please tell me it’s not a BAG! OF! HEADS!

Tech-Priest Khornelius 3:16: Whatever the result, he is certainly qualified for the position.
    (Looks at the Lady Liberty and Susano-o-no-Mikoto)

Tech-Priest Khornelius 3:16: Would either of you care for an Oil Margarita? Only two Divine-Entities have spit them back in my face.

Ardy, ChestBurster, kyomei93 and 3 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not mind that so much.

If Heoh can make him rings then Paul may honestly be happy and he'll have another source for power rings, and this one won't be pure evil.

Yep.

Nope, it's the Statue of Liberty.

The Shinto apparently acquire newly emerging entities to add to their pantheon.

They also have Marilyn Monroe and King Kong.

Except America.

I was expecting a dragon ship to burst through the wall and a god to start throwing an axe around.

Well several of the gods that Paul talked to weren't interested in returning, so maybe Heph will have to replace them as well.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No... The anthropomorphic representation of freedom is Scott Free.

Lady Liberty is a D list super villain from the Force of July.

15. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Interestingly, both the Shin and Shen (the Shen more so) are known to pay taxes on their divine income. Very likely, the Shin are offering protection from whatever spiritual predators might try to eat a freshly formed god and the benefits of the divine infrastructure they established back when prayer flowed like water in exchange for a portion of whatever faith income the new hires accrue.
    There can be more than one anthropomorphic personification of someone. The whole divine trade union is predicated on that fact.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Because it turned Heaven from a vaguely good thing into a concrete thing, denying them the ability to project their desires onto it.

Or to put it another way, have you ever read The Book of Job?
    No, she looks like the Statue of Liberty, but she's actually the goddess of the enlightenment concept of liberty.

KenNM, Ardy, ChestBurster and 18 others like this.
  18. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Not true at all since Anime has become a global power house, most people won't be able to accurately assign a shinto major God with its porfolio, but naming a couple of them would be significantly easier.

Also in raw numbers of religious adherents its probably the Indian gods that are on the absolute top after the Abrahamic faiths.

19. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

My personal favourite is: Loki was a dick but not that bad until the Aesirs took care of his children because they were fated to cause Ragnarok.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but I still think the Greek gods are more well known to most people outside of Japan, both in who they are and about stories connected to them.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I kind of agree with Liberty on this if Superman and by extension the League want to not be seen as modern-day gods they should be more thoughtful of their public image. It's also the god's fault for being so inactive and ethereal in modern times cause if people knew what gods are like and had concert proof of their existence they wouldn't think someone is a god just because they could fly and are generally benevolent. I also like this collective pantheon idea but I don't see it working there are too many big egos and too many grudges for them to act together without it getting out of hand.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unfortunately that may not help, since the League members generally possess incredible powers and continue to help people, so they'll be associated with being godlike either way.

And them trying to make themselves seem more human, or down to earth, may also not work and people could just see them as being relatable gods.

You have a good point, though I can't help but imagine Mr. World-esque like figure, maybe even Paul, trying to tie the various gods together.

Given the rise of globalization, it may be possible for such a figure to emerge.

Let's just hope he's not as creepy as the TV show version.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's that scene in the comics where Susanoo mentions Lady Liberty.

[​IMG]

And here's the scene where we see the Shinto having objects from various faiths and how they use them.

[​IMG]

24. Bud-E

I could see a loose alliance like a U.N. for gods working, but all gods actively working together is only gonna cause problems. I feel the league could change its image, make itself more of a police force with a set rule book and move into something less grandiose than the watchtower and just walk around doing normal things. I'm also of the belief that if everyone is super no one is so I'm all for Paul's mass super empowering idea make powers/advanced tech available to the public, Superman would be a lot less revered if everyone could fly.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The League already kinda does that.

They have a charter that says what they can and can't do and most of the population is unaware of the Watchtower.

Also them doing "normal things" would be incredibly inefficient and a waste of their time.

If you're talking about doing things like fixing roads or something similar, then most of them may not really be equipped to do those things plus the local government or people can already do it themselves, while fighting things like monsters is something that only the League is equipped to do.

And the League isn't exactly trying to stop people from enhancing themselves; most people may not want to be enhanced or there are laws in place to stop it from happening.

Prince Charon and Bud-E like this.
  26. Bolo

Bolo Know what you're doing yet?

What happened to Cornwall boy? Haven’t heard from him in a long while.
    Did the demon worshippers grab or something?

Ardy, Prince Charon, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  27. Bud-E

The League has possession of several warehouses full of super-tech and is just sitting on it they have explicitly stated that they think humanity isn't ready for this tech. So they might not bust down doors to stop advances to science they certainly don't help once they come into contact with tech that's been misused. And I'm pretty sure at least this fic has proved if most people have the option they would choose to be superhuman.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He was left mentioned during that investigation with Crimson Avenger; he apparently talked to some of the plants Black Orchid, the victim, had.

The British demon worshippers were wiped out by the Angels.

Ardy, Prince Charon and Bolo like this.
  29. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

A Pantheistic-Animist Alliance then?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  30. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

What I'm rather curious about is the perspective of these gods on the fact that they are talking to Paul, not Hephestean.

I mean on the one hand, he's a mortal. On the other hand, he's arguably Hephestean's patron instead of the other way around (and at the very least Zeus fell and Hephestean rose because OL decided that would happen). On the third tentacle is OL just acting as Hephestean's secretary?