1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

This Side-Quest spell is hard at work.

From Pantheon take over to interviewing gods to Lady Liberty to congress mind control.

I think it wil break under the strain soon.

Vorian, Ardy, Silveraith and 6 others like this.
  2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why isn't Robin taking it seriously? That can't be the strangest thing he's heard.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's been some time since he's worked with Paul, so it's possible he hasn't dealt with really weird shit in some time.

Prince Charon, Ardy, Bud-E and 2 others like this.
  4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Link problem?
    ??? My the?
    Remind me. What are Morrow and Ivo doing now?

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Checking in, I see. No doubt part of the Uncle Sam investigation, eh? Since he can't really do much on the Persephone front until he meets back up with Zagreus. I assume he mentioned her request to Hephaestaean off-screen between chapters... And a conspicuous lack of looking for John Constantine. Dangit, OL...

Even when they have a public identity. I bet teen superheroes have it extra hard, working to maintain that discipline.

Of course, given OL's taste in clothes...

Ah, OL. making references no-one would get. Can't imagine what the manga and anime scene is like in this universe.

Since the nearest British equivalents, John Bull and Britannia, are not nearly so commonly seen in the last century or so.

As in, is he really the anthropomorphic personification of America, or just a cape with a theme and maybe a bit of crazy?

To be fair, would she want to hang around the people she supposedly represents these days? DCU America is... Well...

And I find it amusing that Robin's reversing the logic of the wording to fit the situation... :p But what can we expect from someone who actually used 'whelmed' as an actual term?

Sadly, the Freedom Fighters and All-Star Squadron didn't really work together that much. I'm guessing it was something of an East Coast/West Coast Avengers division...

Wow, Sam shows no fear, eh? :D Joy of the unconquerable American Spirit, huh?

...Which means he might well have taken anything Sam said as gospel truth, depending on how the connection works.

I mean, she does spend a lot of her time in America. Maybe it kind-of works on her?

For now, anyway.

And in the 'U.S.' series the subplot comes from, the change happened after World War I. I doubt the Great Depression helped.

Because of course he has a public appearance circuit routine...

Best option is Old Sam gets his act together and kicks the New Deal Sam's ass.

Ooh, a tie back to the Demon Pistols, eh? Worrying.

Yes, that sort of thing never goes down well in any comic-book universe.

Yeah, some of the villains don't have anywhere near the restraint a hero would. The 'Alucard Amount' might well be low-balling it, for some.

Ooh, that's a worry. All it would take in one sneaky telepath or enchanter, and...

:rolleyes: Gee, you think?

The sort of power that makes those susceptible go 'This guy, he knows what he's talking about, yeah!', I bet.

And there aren't many on that level. Psimon only managed what he did by surprise...

Or the security personnel? Whoever manages that stuff...

...Ah. Oh, yes, I remember that little subplot. Wonder if a visit by Martian Manhunter or Miss Martian would uncover some unexpected things.

Honestly, you'd think they'd have more protection on the people who nominally run their country. I guess they figure no super-villain with the means would dare try such a blatant scheme? And once again, we see things arranging themselves to distract OL, eh? Yet another 'someone should get on that.' thing that he can't bring himself to leave to someone less busy than himself...

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Morrow is still an assimilated construct.

Not sure about Ivo.

7. HatsAreHats

HatsAreHats Wears sunglasses at night

Presumably because of the citizen mind control field

Prince Charon, Ardy, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

At least it isn't Marvel America.

If he dies get blown up then he'll either survive or reform later on.

Yeah, millions of people losing hope probably weakened him.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because LePaul didn't provide any proof and has been known to just straight up make things up at times.

Silveraith, CTrees and Doccer like this.
  10. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Refresh my memory, was that plot with Gonzo the Mechanical Bastard replacing President Horne a Renegade only thing (in an alternate universe no less)? Did they try that with Senator Knight on this side? Actually, is Senator Knight's daughter the Phantom Lady in this universe, or not? She's also worked with Uncle Sam in some continuities, right? So much to keep track of.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

The thing with Gonzo was an alternate universe thing. However, in Renegade’s universe SHADE was creating their own robot to replace him (rather than using an Apokaliptian robot), which seems like it might have happened in Paragon universe, since SHADE definitely exists there and hasn’t been destroyed like in Renegade’s universe. There is a problem in that Paul’s empathy might detect a robot, but he’s been holding back on the empathy for a while now and he doesn’t meet the President in person often. If the robot had no emotions he could probably detect it, but I think a sufficiently complex robot can have emotions detectable by his empathy.
    ‘to’

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know some people disliked the fact that Paul sang when Heph took down Zeus, but I think any potential battle with the Fake Uncle Sam could be better served with a song.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  14. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

You're overthinking it. They're not trying to BAMBOOZLE Persephone, there's no reason to hide that she forgot things or that they didn't happen. The common sense thing would be to immediately tell her she was made to forget some things as a form of trauma therapy.

This isn't Common Sense Paul, though.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sad but true.

16. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

And then we find out they actually have been replaced by robots and have been for decades. Or clones.

Ardy, kerleth and Rockinalice like this.
  17. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Nabu literally said that his absence caused issues. And you can compare issues of his inactivity vs him being active. Roanoke never happened while he was active.

Plus it was straight to murder. He ambushed Nabu and didnt give him any option other than come off on that moment and trust Paul not to just put him back on the shelf. And Paul had not done anything to warrent extending trust given he ambushed Nabu and didnt have anyone prepared for the rotation idea. Heck, Paul didnt even trust any League member. He spent the better part of a year messing with all sorts of magical stuff that was reckless such as giving Zatanna the Star Saphire.

And Nabu was right to fear being put back on the shelf since they had already promised to find a host and done nothing. OL has already shown that he can hustle. He did absolutely nothing after KF or Aqualad wore the Helmet.

OL went into that fight planning to murder Nabu. He was not reasonable in that interaction.

Vaermina likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

While I think that Nabu got screwed over, Paul did try to reason with him for a bit.

When he ambushed him he actually showed him a golem he had made for Nabu to use as a host, which Nabu destroyed.

Granted, Nabu had little reason to trust Paul, but Paul did try something similar before that when he told Nabu the idea of a golem host but Nabu turned it down.

19. Mr Zoat

World War Two did. Also, in canon, Klarion escaped and could have done the same thing again.
    No, the SI was very careful in checking the legal position vis-a-vis liches.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Celine's Third Law: "An honest politician is a national calamity." The last thing we need is someone who writes more laws.

Bramble Thorn and Bud-E like this.
  21. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Really, the main problem (as I saw it) was who was making the offer. Given Paul's chaotic nature, complete with claiming Eris as a patron, Nabu flat out couldn't accept that the offers being made to him were made in good faith. Perhaps if Paul had been willing to convince someone else to offer the golem, things might have gone differently. Though I guess it'd depend on if there's someone Nabu actually would have trusted to make that offer.

Instead we had, "Ugh. The chaos gremlin that doesn't like me. No way this isn't a scheme to fuck me over."

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's LePaul's MO, he did same thing with Zeus.

Have a reasonable offer/request, but make the offer/request to the person in the most antagonist way possible so they are sure to refuse you.

It's the type of thing bad faith actors do so they can turn to third parties and go "Okay, I tried to be reasonable" to justify whatever extreme unreasonable action they actually took.

23. Mr Zoat

Oh yeah, found out that they brought Razer into Young Justice. In fact, the story appears to claim that Green Lantern Animated is in continuity with Young Justice. Not sure how they square that with Jordan's attitude towards Guy, but okay.

Edit: Also, flip you Google. I know I wasn't spelling 'rapprochement' properly but I wasn't that far off.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Hilariously you can make a very good argument that Lady Liberty was originally from France. Why did she left the USA for a place with LESS liberties like Japan however?

25. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

“I go where I’m needed.”?

26. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

The WoG on that is it's "canon adjacent". So like, broad strokes it happened, but you can't rely on it all being the same.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  27. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm pretty sure it was an arrest where the suspect (Doctor Fate) resisted arrest with lethal force (killing one of the deputies in the process).

28. Radix

The fact that Paragon specifically chose a jurisdiction that would allow him to avoid the legal technicalities does change the fact that he intentionally ended the existence of a sapient and living being. It was something wrong by legislation that Paragon championed himself. It would be like justifying rape by going to a jurisdiction that defined the precise act as not rape and then saying it wasn't actually rape even though it would be considered rape elsewhere.

Was Sisken actually deputized? Last I checked only OL was. And being deputized doesn't let you deputize others. OL himself described it as an intervention/ambush. Doctor Fate was reasonably in fear of his life by someone hostile to him utilizing fear as a weapon. Just because OL claimed to be deputized doesn't mean that Fate believed him. Especially given the lack of other police presence. Would Fate even have to submit himself to arrest? Last I checked the League can't just randomly get arrested because some cop tricks them to going somewhere, trapping them, and then trying to imprison them.

I think it is also worth noting that Paul only took Eris as a patron after the Roanoke incident. Long after he had already begun planning. I suspect his choice of patron was somewhat calculated precisely to gain some sort of edge against Nabu by going for Chaos. Something that did pay dividends with that chaos apple. So it was someone who swore allegiance to chaos precisely to fight Nabu. Nabu had already rejected the golem. And Paul could have prepared some alternates. Even a few without giving up too much secrecy. But Paul wasn't willing to tolerate a single day and expected Nabu to trust Paul when he had extended no trust of his own to even risk Nabu finding out that Paul was looking for alternate hosts. I don't see how Paul trying to suggest a rotation scheme would be any more likely to tip off the assassination attempt than the golem body he presented was? He presented that alternative straight to Nabu's face. And yet asking other magic users with no contact to Nabu if they would consider a rotation schedule was somehow a security risk? Nothing of his inquiries would have exposed his plan.

Vaermina likes this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I thought Paul joined the metropolitan police force and deputized everyone else? I might be misremembering.

Under English Law (and some American law) Nabu committed a variety of offences not related to his vigilante work, even though the league has a charter that permits them a great amount of leeway they can still be arrested for other crimes.

Murder has a general definition with a series of legal loopholes that make something, 'not murder', the killing of Nabu fulfilled the requirements so that it was not murder any more than other person killed for a legitimate reason by law enforcement.

Heaven knows how many arrest warrant's have been put out for Batman over his publication history.

30. Radix

I would say securing a host body is directly tied to his vigilante work.

So if I go somewhere with laxer laws and kill them. Did I not murder them even if it would be considered murder elsewhere?

Cuchulin likes this.