1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General chat thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nanimani, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. justinkal

justinkal Connoisseur.

Yup, Ar Tonelico (which Replekia above is from) and Ar Nosurge (what I just linked a song from) are the same series.

It's a series of JRPGs in which, due to lore of how the setting works, it's possible to cast magic by singing, with certain languages being created specifically to work well for that.

ShadowStepper1300 and Treble like this.
  2. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

Bloody hell, that's AWESOME.

3. justinkal

justinkal Connoisseur.

One fun side effect of this is that when important, complicated spells are written as programs that can be installed into a mage's mind, causing their subconscious to generate a song to cast it, sometimes the particular choice of mage results in something weird.

Like getting this as a spell that releases the magitek equivalent of an EMP, which plays as a boss fight BGM.

Treble likes this.
  4. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

Yeah MarcoMeatball is great.

TanaNari likes this.
  5. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

So is Moukala.

6. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Techically the spells in Ar tonelico is more clark tech reality warping than magic. Just thought I should put that out there.

Anyway.

Man I feel sorry for Johnny Depp's lawyers. They wont get to gloat about winning this case when their opposition keeps destroying themselves. It's not even funny at this point.

Venyr4434 and TanaNari like this.
  7. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Elaborate? I don't follow celebrity news.

8. OverReactionGuy

Watch this clip and you'll see what generally has been going on.

-edit-

I think this trial would be used in law school to teach them what not to do.

9. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Yeah.
    I've been watching lawyers reacting to the trial and commenting on how it is going, and while they were quite annoyed that Depp's team aren't fighting the objections, they also think they might be deliberately letting them go uncontested to let Heard's lawyers dig their own grave.

10. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

And yet, somehow, this man gets paid more per hour than most people will get per day, and possibly more than some people will get per week.

11. OverReactionGuy

Well, he's probably not going to be a lawyer anymore after this so...that wont last long. I think he's pretty much ruining his career here.

Venyr4434, kinglugia and TanaNari like this.
  12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I don't know if you can get disbarred for incompetence in law the same way you can be as a medical professional (probably depends on region)... but at the very least I don't think a lot of people are going to be in any rush to hire this guy in the future.

13. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

He's not the only clown in Amber Heard's legal team. Don't forget the laywer grilling the psychiatrist on... *checks notes* store-bought muffins she shared with her client in the office.

14. DeathShade

The Chat of the lawyer reaction stream I’m following has taken to calling her Umbridge.

She was terrible from the start. The lawyer had real problems with her from the start. Rotten born was actually doing really well in opening statements and day 1 of cross-examination of Depp, but in day 2 he apparently lost the plot of what he was doing.

Like the lawyer spent time after day 1 praising his strategy. And then day 2 he flushed all the good ground he got down the toilet. Combined with all the other stuff.

Kinda makes you wonder if he was just super well prepped on day 1, or if he was instructed to switch tactics by the others because they didn’t realise he had been the most competent part of the defence up until that point.

Edit: To expand on what I mean, on Day 1 Rottenborn hyperfocused on the actual article that JD is suing AH over. The OP ED that was published that basically said he was an abuser, but did not use his name. We have actually had someone testify that it was originally going to refer to him by name but AH was talked out of it.

Rottenborn hyperfocused on the article and nothing else in Day 1. Basically dismissing everything else as irrelevant, because at the simplest level, this is a civil defamation case about that article and what resulted from it, it is not seeking criminal proceedings over abuse allegations. Because at the end of the day, if the Jury says that article is not defamatory, then JD loses his case, no matter what else comes out over the course of the trial.

Day 2, he completely abandoned that, and started a full campaign and attack on JD's entire interpretation of events, over the fact he has problems with alcohol and drug abuse. Basically started going into a shit slinging match, saying that because you are drunk and on drugs all the time, you are obviously an abuser and your testimony cannot be trusted because your memory was impaired.

The lawyer I watch pointed out the text messages as a mistake. Not that he introduced them, but that he introduced so many of them. It was their opinion, that a few of these text messages would be shocking and could paint JD in a very bad light, but introducing so many of them, instead gives to the jury the idea that this is just how JD talks. He talks in these wish washy, hyperbolic ways, with sentences filled with metaphor, and all this absolute deluge of texts does is show just that. This is just how he talks.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  15. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

So what's exactly the appeal of Xianxia?

16. NameOrdane

NameOrdane Lurker: The Socially Awkward

It's one part metaphysics wank, one part power fantasy, and one part face slapping. There's also the trophy harem I guess. I think that's it.

17. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Do you know the muffin man?

I would also like to commend Johnny for giving free english lessons for special needs lawyers in the courtroom.

18. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

19. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Venyr4434, Treble, kinglugia and 4 others like this.
  20. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Revenge fantasy against the east Asian social construct, it's a lot more understandable for those who grew up under it.

Treble likes this.
  21. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Gotta love how Amber Heard just torpedoed weeks of her lawyer team's hard work by outright admitting she wrote the op-ed that started everything. Up until now they've been trying to shape the narrative by claiming Amber Heard did not write the op-ed and that it didn't refer to Johnny Depp specifically and so she should not be on the hook for defamation.

22. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

Japanese fiction seems a lot less.....well, nihilistic.

23. OverReactionGuy

Amber Heard can't even fake cry or pose subtlety to a camera with a tissue. Of course she destroys her own case.

24. Ranni The Witch

Ranni The Witch Doggy

I mean did you see the try to act scared when Depp go near her at the end I think it was
    Like man and this woman is actress

25. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

What's Dollhouse like?

26. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Aspirations in fiction is often a reflection on reality, make what you will of that.

27. DeathShade

At this point, I’m pretty much sure that Depp is gonna win his 50 million defamation suit against her.

What I’m much less sure about is whether or not she will win her 100 million defamation suit against him for statements made by his lawyers.

28. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Defamation is infamously hard to prove in court. You have to prove not only that they lied, but they did it maliciously and with express intent of harming the other person with words. While I certainly hope she is proven guilty, there is a chance that due to legal loopholes she is technically not on the hook for libel.

However, even if she is proven not guilty in regards to defamation, Amber Heard has been shown to be a cruel vindictive abuser and Johnny Depp is innocent. He has thoroughly won the court of public opinion even if justice is not served in the court of law. And I think that was Johnny Depp's goal in the first place. Getting his story out there and revealing the truth. That even if he does not win the suit for libel, now people know the truth about what happened, that he is not an abuser.

29. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

This is a Post-Truth era, my friend. What is truth is irrelevant compared to what people want to believe.

Whether people want to believe that a junkie is innocent and deserving of justice...that is a question I am not sure I can answer. But Depp's drug problem has been a millstone round his neck for years now, no matter what good he has done otherwise.

Crimson Reiter likes this.
  30. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Dude. The fuck is wrong with you? He's a drug user, not a rapist.

As far as I know, he hasn't hurt anyone other than himself, and therefor hasn't truly done anything wrong.

Don't get me wrong- I don't pity him for being an addict- he made the choices that led him down that road. If he didn't want to be an addict, he shouldn't have used drugs. That is on him, and no one else.

But it's not his fault he wasn't able to spot an abuser in time to spare himself that suffering, and I offer the same sympathies I offer to all other abuse victims. He deserves both pity and justice for that nightmare, just like everyone else in the same situation deserves.