1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Bit of column B and that she might not have a choice, I mean how would you feel if say hypothetically, you were English and a bunch of Fay came out of the woods claiming dominion over the British isles and started destroying civilisation as you know it? and you were a superpowered government agent/superhero?

She might not want to go lethal but she might have her hand forced against a certain level of opponent (like these ones) be it by accident, (fire-based superhero fighting in the Rainforest)

EternitysInfinite and Ardy like this.
  2. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I got the impression Fire wasn't exactly in love with the Brazilian government to begin with, and IIRC mentioned thinking that if Donner had succeeded in his original attempt to overthrow the government things might have been better. And while Paul has a high body count, most earth based superheroes so far in this fic don't; I doubt Fire would go from zero to murder. She even held back from attacking Overgirl after a talk with Paul.

Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  3. DAT_NOOB

I mean sure but there's quite a lot of people who aren't in love with their government still take up arms in the event of that kind of threat and again there is the very real risk of setting fire to the rainforest when it's attacking her.

Unless you're implying that she defected.

EternitysInfinite likes this.
  4. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Also isnt Fire in this fic still fairly weak and working on improving her powers? She only can radiate it a certain distance from her body last I recall.

Windona, DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

7th November 2012
    08:49 GMT -3

I mean, yes, France and Britain hold onto their seats more due to the power they had in the early 20th century rather than their current power. Pre-Sheeda Brazil might have qualified if the Accala had come to terms, and I think I remember reading an article about Brazil Prime being a candidate for eventual elevation. But there isn't an objective standard. It's more 'was this country strong enough to demand a seat at the table when they were being handed out'.

I mean, Germany or India-. Once India recovers from the Sheeda. Germany has a modern army and India has nuclear weapons. Both have decent economies. But Pakistan wouldn't be happy with India getting a seat, and… China probably wouldn't be all that happy either. Germany is… Fairly harmless? Historical jokes aside, they've got good relations with their neighbours. No nuclear weapons, but that's more a matter of desire than technical capacity.

Oh, no, the Russians and Chinese would see them as being too close to America. I seem to remember the idea of Japan Prime being upped getting quashed for the same reason. I wonder if there's actually been any sort of discussion about what the standard is? I mean, the scariest country on Earth at the moment is Bir Tawil, and that doesn't even have any inhabitants most of the time.

I wonder if I could get-?

"This way."

Walking ahead of me, Mr. Zatara heads up a bark-covered staircase and up to the next floor. A doorway made up of interwoven root-covered vines peels open, revealing Dr. Isley behind an actual desk covered in… Paperwork.

An.. ink-fern which reminds me a little of Swamp Thing's old shampoo fruit-.

"Shampoo!"

Dr. Isley looks up from her work with a half-smile and runs her left hand through her hair.

"I'm glad you noticed."

"No, we were just-. Your hair's beautiful, but I was thinking that you can actually put Swamp Thing's shampoo plant into mass production."

"Why would I want to?"

Mr. Zatara glances at me before giving Dr. Isley his full attention. "I think that Paul has taken my comment about joining the Security Council more to heart than I intended."

"Security Council?" Dr. Isley looks understandably confused. "Is that why you're here? You need to talk to Hugo about that. He handles international relations."

"No. I am here because Paul has just told me about Euanthe's plan to make all plant life poison to demons."

She smiles faintly. "I get the impression that he just drops things like that in the middle of the conversation."

"Yes, he does."

"It's not that I like doing it, it's just how things happen. The world is a strange and magical place and it's not my fault if people can't keep up with me."

Dr. Isley finishes making some sort of note and then allows her ink fern to retract its-. Stigma!

"And you should sell those as well."

"The ink quality isn't good enough to compete against normal pens and they only produce for about a month a year if you don't use magic on them." She returns her attention to Mr. Zatara. "Do you want her to stop? Because I don't think she'll listen."

"No, but I would like to see her work. I am concerned that what she is doing may have unintended consequences."

Dr. Isley shrugs, standing up from her desk. "She hasn't moved, so I can show you to her. I don't know if she'll actually talk to you or not. Do you do a lot of magic with plants?"

"No, but I could if it would help."

"She doesn't like it when I do that."

Mr. Zatara starts slightly. "I thought that you were incapable of doing magic."

"No, I can't use my soul to interface with the local thaumosphere in the normal way. That doesn't mean that I can't do magic at all. But since Euanthe told me not to do it anymore I've stopped experimenting."

"She made you stop experimenting?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes, funny. I assumed that if it was that uncomfortable to her that it was doing some sort of damage I couldn't perceive and so I stopped, given that she clearly doesn't have a problem with humans who know what they're doing manipulating plants."

Dr. Isley frowns. "That makes me a little curious… But if she told you not to do it, don't do it."

"Not a problem." I take another look at her desk. "Do you have a paper tree as well?"

She blinks, then stares at me-.

"Yes I know where paper comes from. I know how big an operation commercial paper making is, and I don't think that the Accala or their allies have any paper mills."

"I created a type of tree that grows sheets of paper as part of its seed pod. But we don’t have any printers." She sighs. "I miss computers already."

I nod. "Not a problem. Excuse me."

I bring my right hand up to my forehead,

sight my destination and step out, reappearing

7th November 2012
    11:53 GMT

on J, near their computer research centre. If I'm honest, compared to the giant trees that serve as their residences, this whole place looks like an oak apple. Like something's-

"Agh!"

-gone badly wrong with the whole thing.

I wave at the back of the fleeing local and head over to where Enneret is smoking a… Blood cigar?

"Enneret."

He waves a couple of fronds at me. "Lantern."

"How's work?"

"Good. You?"

"One of my homeworld's continents now looks a lot more like a place you could call home." I nod at the building. "Have they got a working home computer yet?"

"Yes." He perks up quite a bit. "Much better than what Alstair had before. Queen Hyathis is very pleased."

"Are they ready for export?"

"Export?" He puts out his cigar, stowing it in his clothing. "That would need to get approved by both parties to the agreement, but given how far away Earth is that shouldn't be a problem. I didn't think you had that many druids."

"Earth laughs at declarative statements. Who do I need to talk to?"

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe she doesn't like what the Accala have done to her country.

She was but Paul used a spell he learned from Noruel to increase her power.

ChestBurster, FourthPear and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is it me or dies Paul seem a little...maniac in the last couple updates?

Maybe John's spell hasn't quiet given up yet?

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Nice to see the benefits that Paul has brought other planets. I'm guessing they're combining J's more advanced plant manipulation with the magical techniques of Alstair?

If I remember correctly, it gave her more control, not necessarily more power.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"upped and"

You seem like you like doing it.

"month or a"

Hey,the man has a point.

"looks"

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Uh... When was the last time Oh El did therapy?

11. Mr Zoat

No, these are correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

me
    "Earth laughs hysterically at declarative statements. Who do I need to talk to?"

13. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

I suspect it's a case of the spell is intended to divert attention, but since Paul actually can solve many of these problems, he keeps swerving back onto course, only for the spell to ramp up its fate manipulation to push him away.

14. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

After that season 1 training episode?

15. DAT_NOOB

Ironically I think Grayven has done more therapy

16. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

'Laughs at declarative statements' priceless.

17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yup, both of the human and pony kind. He also has done more family bonding. While OhEl LITERALLY can't let himself take time off with his girlfriend.

Again I question how is Oh El the one that's supposed to have the better ending? As he went for a guy who was very cautious about using his power ring to... This.

Istaran, Silveraith, Wivk and 3 others like this.
  18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Australia has those!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melaleuca_quinquenervia

They're only slightly poisonous.

19. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Feels like a feedback look where the spell is fighting to distract Paul but Paul wants so badly to find John that the Ring is likely helping him to quickly overcome the challenges/distractions faster than the spell can throw them up.

20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And since that happened just after World War II, I rather suspect the Axis nations would have been deep in the doghouse in terms of international relations. And the nations that do sit on the council seem to settle into complacency afterwards.

Still paying off the sins of their grandfathers. I think they'd be a bit wary of getting onto the Little Boy stage.

:rolleyes: Pfft, like you'd have time to attend to it?

Because bureaucracy carries on even when the government has fled. Good grief.

And you earn a 'what the..?' look from everyone present for that non-sequitor...

At least it isn't particularly leafy in this universe. Some versions lean a bit more on the plant-like biology...

Make some people in the international community relax a bit by suggesting you'll be involved in trade?

Ha! I figured he would. He and Pamela are about the only people involved in Accalacan that do know care anything about the modern world, I suspect. Outside of any tribesfolk who were out undercover in the cities (which I think there was?)

Not intentionally! :oops: He's just so scatter-brained sometimes, he just forgets to mention them before they matter.

Pinballs would have a hard time keeping up with you. Pinballs during a Multiball round, at that. Seriously, you need to slow down and tell people things sometimes, OL.

Huh, living ink pens. Certainly would be a different texture to plastic or metal.

Like, say, setting the entire planet on fire. Holy fire, but still...

I suspect it would, in this case. Something had Gaea worried.

Eh, Magic... Orange Light shenanigans... :p All a matter of semantics, right?

I know, it's an amazing thing to hear, isn't it?

Well, she is one of his, after all. Naturally she'd have a massive bonus to influence checks with him.

Well, she's not likely to be writing on parchment, after all, is she?

I know that feeling. Been hand-writing unit cards for Warhammer 40,000 armies of Space Marines. One copy of the army book, about five different armies to try and keep it with. :rolleyes: Thus, lots of cards.

...And Zatara just sighs and rolls his eyes. Along with a lot of us readers...

Well, it takes time to get a nice hard coating on plant-based structures. Once that's done, maybe they'll work on the spit and polish.

Seriously, OL, you need a way to warn people you're coming... At least for the times when you don't want to make people want their brown pants.

So... Dried leaves dipped in something akin to blood and rolled into a smokable tube? Makes as much sense as anything for a plant-based culture.

Huh, surprisingly relaxed. Sure that cigar doesn't have something a little calming mixed into it?

Because he arranged for a little involuntary technology sharing with the Dominators, by way of stealing one of their plant-based organic computers, if memory serves me correctly...

Looking to give Pammie a little gift, eh? Wouldn't it need a little tweaking to make it compatible with the terrestrial internet?

...You know, Pamela is kind of a druid right now. Albeit a plant-focused variant.

Heh. OL using his connections for the benefit of his friends, eh? How typical of him. Though this whole situation isn't doing much to help with his scatter-brained reputation, is it? And whatever keeps pushing things at him to distract him from looking for John is definitely struggling with his ability to rapidly solve those problems... Let's hope it doesn't fail, destructively.

He waves a couple of fronds at me. "Lantern."

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If you mean that LePaul has the attention span of a goldfish.

No, that's been pretty much normal for him for him since he got the orange brackets.

I think you and the others might be overestimating the problem.

Because this reads less like some mighty thing that's re-arranging events to distract LePaul, and more like the standard "You forgot to turn off the stove" poking LePaul in the brain and causing him to distract himself as his Orange Light induced ADD goes into overdrive.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That evil won't die.

One of the Sons of Dawn was a Brazilian superhero and I'm assuming some might have interacted with outsiders.

Other negative side effects could be people potentially having so much Silver City magic in them that they automatically end up in Heaven even if they were meant to go somewhere else.

We're used to it.

He also may have opened trade between Alstair and the planet of that plant Green Lantern.

24. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Paul should get this on a plaque.

25. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

OL creates the planternet! seriously though it helps if you can just email the green to ask about stuff.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Does getting blasted with Pony Rainbow Juice Carebear Stare count?

Cuchulin, Doccer and DAT_NOOB like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, they know plenty about the modern world. Not knowing was what caused their first attempt to fail.
    No. Leather.
    And when Australia does 'slightly', you know you caught it in a good mood.

28. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?

When you leave to go get a plant computer from another planet.....in the middle of a conversation!

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Not just you. It's now crystal clear that someone's messing with Paul.

30. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

This is... technically correct. They have some very good equipment.

You know, you just can't use any of it, and they don't really train with it, and nobody is actually able to get it mobilised, and the government would rather they just sit there and look pretty, in a background checklist sort of way.

TLDR, The german military is a fucking joke held up by technically proficent designs. In reality, it's a boondongle ala Saudi Arabia.