1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Charm Learning Shard (Worm/Exalted) (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Daniel Snuts, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Daniel Snuts

Daniel Snuts Know what you're doing yet?

At some unspecified point during arc L. My conscience demands that I give the content warning, but if I do it on the specific content-containing chapter(s) it won't be nearly as shocking and traumatizing. This way I fulfill my obligations, but still have time to lull the reader into false sense of security. A compromise between my better and worse natures, if you will.

2. Akuma-Heika

Akuma-Heika The Devil Exists Within

She never mentioned weight though? Her alloy percentage could be taken either way, so I don't think she can call Dragon out on it either (at least in that way).

Dragon's power is a Tinker/Thinker power to duplicate/understand Tinker tech, so it likely wouldn't be coding...but coding fits under Crafting (in terms of Artifact creation) and Crafting Charms would be the logical Charm conversion for Dragon's power. IIRC, there is a Solar Charm that is called something like Holistic Understanding or something, that makes understanding objects/Artifacts a simple touch based action (which in this case would include her restraints and her program entirely), which sounds like a perfect Charm equivalent for Dragon's power. That is also allows us to pay her Soul's Price is just icing. Also allowing duplication of things studied with it is the lemon flavoring (Tay's Dragon Child should be called Wyrm) :p

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    KonradC, space turtle and eeda like this.
  3. eeda

eeda Versed in the lewd.

Wyrm > Mommy, mother! You wanted a boy or a girl?

Dragon/Taylor > "*sigh*". "*I just wanted to tinker/I actualy only wanted a new shiny power*"

:V

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Akuma-Heika, KonradC and space turtle like this.
  4. Daniel Snuts

Literally two lines above what you quoted:

Akuma-Heika and space turtle like this.
  5. Threadmarks: L.02
    Daniel Snuts

Just when you thought things would settle down into a routine, a new problem rears it head. Because of course it does.

"The convection flows are all wrong," you say. "The artificial magma isn't realistic enough."

"I followed your design to the letter," Dragon says.

"I know, it's my fault. I didn't realize it would be a problem. My own setup had so many glaring flaws I'd never be able to spot a subtle one like this."

"Can you work around it?"

"I... maybe? Yes. If you-"

As a temporary measure, Dragon makes you a big ol' tungsten-alloy stirring stick. While you attend to the back-breaking, eyebrow-searing (not really - as you discovered last time you did this, Brute 0 eyebrows are made of sterner stuff than that) labour of manually stirring a pot of gold, she goes to work on the forge itself, rewiring it to give you individual control of each heating element.

Sweating your ass off, rebuilding a forge while it's in use? It's positively nostalgic.

Even after you're done and you sit down at the newly expanded control panel, your problems aren't over. Now you have to figure out how to work it, and keep working it.

No sleep for you that night.

Just because you're playing whack-the-temperature-gradient across twenty-four separate heating elements doesn't mean you can slack off on your other tasks, either. Your preliminary judgement of Dragon's power is that it's even more complex than Lisa's, and figuring it out before the orichalcum is done is going to be extremely tight.

Your contributions to the project trail off as you finalize the armor design and move on to the robotics, but not as much as you expected. If asked about your Tinker specialty you'd probably have said something like 'alchemy and armor', or 'medieval stuff, but magic'. But to your surprise it turns out that power armor is also a type of armor as far as your power is concerned.

On the other hand, your co-designer is still Dragon.

"That's the third-best artificial muscle I've ever seen," she compliments you, and replaces it with a version that's better in every single way.

"Out of how many?"

"Somewhere between ten and twenty, depending on how you count minor variations."

You mostly end up as a nagging reminder/indestructibility consultant. "Why are you wasting space on this structural element?" becomes your tagline.

Your other great contribution comes to naught, as you spend over an hour describing to Dragon a material that you don't recognize, but your brain insists should be readily available and eminently suitable for the project.

"Oh, I recognize it now!" she finally exclaims, three whiteboards in.

"What is it?"

"I don't think it has a name. A Nobel laureate in the sixties theorized that the structure would be stable, but he also said it would be physically impossible to create."

"He was probably right, seeing as how I came up with it," you say sourly.

"You subscribe to the 'Tinkers are Shakers' theory, then?"

"How could I not?" You gesture at the forge, where you're alloying gold with sunlight.

Meanwhile the rest of the industrial park roars to life, and Dragon soon gets busy assembling components as they are completed.

She's also recording and analyzing your work with the magma, and she's eventually able to write an algorithm that can handle the job with only slight errors.

It lets you sleep for up to thirty minutes at a time. Slight, compounding errors, because the only sensor able to give feedback is your sorcerer's sight.

You don't exactly lose track of time as the internals of the Smaug start to take shape, because 'sunlight, yes/no?' is the single most important question of your existence. You wouldn't bet money on the day of the week, though.

At one point Fenrir shows up. You turn sorcerer's sight off and on again to make sure you're not hallucinating. You aren't. 'I'm standing next to my spirit-tied pet,' your soul agrees.

Yeah, okay. Why wouldn't he be able to track you over hundreds of miles of Canadian wilderness, that you didn't even cross physically? Wolf senses, right?

Well, he's not going to do any good here, and it's even odds whether you're going to get teleported back too.

"Go home," you tell him. You're not sure what day it is, but he's going to need a head start if he's to get back to Brockton Bay in time for your next patrol.

"Excuse me?" Dragon says.

"Looking forward to when I get to go home. Not that I haven't enjoyed working with you, but..."

"Hang in there, Smith. We're halfway done." You are? That means it's... Wednesday?

"I'll be fine," you tell them both, and subtly motion Fenrir to leave. He does, after rubbing his intangible head in the general vicinity of your palm.

---

"I understand why you couldn't afford to work for free," Dragon says out of the blue. "Not to brag, but understanding the work of other Tinkers is sort of my thing. Yet I can't even figure out the principle by which your ECM works. Whoever made it, it can't have been cheap."

You hum noncommittally. She's clearly hoping that you let something slip in your befuddled state, but luckily you have no idea what she's talking about. You're not packing any electronic countermeasures.

I'M HALPING!

Maybe she's referring to your uncanny ability to spot her cameras? You found a new one in the bathroom just this(?) morning, half the size of the last one. You didn't even bother to complain about it, just threw it outside.

---

"Is it done?" Dragon asks as the last sunlight fades. "The emissions spectra finally settled down."

If she's asking that, that means... "It's Saturday?"

"Yes Smith, it's Saturday." Her voice contains both amusement and worry. "You said a week, so it should be done now?"

You look at what, according to sorcerer's sight, is 100% pure, perfectly refined orichalcum. "You'd think so," you say.

Your focus has suffered as of late. Dragon's convection algorithms kept improving and towards the end you were sleeping for almost two hours at a time, but it still took its toll. Your attempts to recreate her power still haven't borne fruit. You have it, you know you have all the parts figured out, you just can't focus well enough to put them together.

"It needs to settle a bit," you lie. You run a hand across the control panel, equalizing the heat across the whole forge. "Don't mess with the magma any more. I'm going to get a solid night's sleep and we'll take it from there. Get that iron melted and ready to mix, too."

You actually wake up on your own well before dawn. You suppose you weren't really sleep-deprived as such - once Dragon started helping you were more or less getting your required hours a day, just... poorly spaced.

You grimace slightly as you get dressed. You arrived with three sets of clothes, but only one pair of underwear, which have not left your body this entire time. What can you do? You didn't want to risk anyone rifling through your backpack and finding your padded spares.

The tools and other odds and ends that gradually spread out to cover the factory as Dragon assembled the guts of the Smaug have been cleaned up. There's an impressively large robotic crane standing by, ready to lift the orichalcum out of the magma and start pouring it.

The 'naked' Smaug waves at you and does a little pirouette (it's amazing how agile such a big machine can be), indicating that it, too, is fully assembled and ready to go.

"Last chance to go over the design and spot any errors," you tell Dragon.

You don't find any problems, but you do finally get Dragon's power to stick in your head. Some real sleep was just what the doctor ordered.

Sure, it looks like you were cutting it insanely close, but you were just going to insist on double- and triple-checking everything until you finally got it. Getting it right away just means you avoid looking like a neurotic asshole.

The first order of business then is to pour off and cast your share, two one-kilogram bars. It doesn't look like much - orichalcum is so dense, a kilogram is about the size of a chocolate bar - but even if you don't count it as invaluable it's still the better part of a hundred thousand dollars worth of gold.

"How are you going to reforge those?" Dragon asks. "Armsmaster was unable to melt down his sample no matter what he tried."

"We have our ways. Don't worry, they won't work on Smaug." Dragon is clearly a bad influence, making you lie like that. You much prefer to tell the technical truth. "The finished product is quite different from the raw materials. Now, pour the iron!"

The meteoric iron (already melted and with iridium mixed in) goes in the pot. You give it a few stirs with the tungsten rod. The whole thing is the orange-ish white of molten metal, but to your eyes it's clear that the metals are not mixing properly.

You shrug and retrieve one of Rune's pebbles from a pocket. A quick glance to verify that it still has its charge, then you toss it in.

"What was that?" Dragon asks.

"Secret ingredient," you say absently. The metals flow together harmoniously where the pebble landed, and the effect quickly spreads out across the entire crucible. The glow-beneath-the-glow intensifies, and you know that it's ready to forge.

In fact, why not try out Dragon's power? You're excited to find out what it can do.

"Do you have any paper?" Smith asks. "Like, actual paper? Never mind, I have some."

Smith pulls a wad of folded paper out of his pocket. There's something printed on it, but I don't have a chance to read it before he starts tearing it into strips.

The strips are unnaturally straight, I note. A normal person tearing a piece of paper would achieve much messier results. Long practice? Power assisted? How? Why?

He takes a strip of paper in each hand and snaps them like whips. When he lets go, they remain hovering in the air. They curl up into circles, and turn so that the openings are facing him.

He looks at them, his eyes narrowed in concentration. No wonder he considers Tinkers to be Shakers, if this is a part of the forging process for him. I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish, though.

The paper strips start to glow blue, and rotate in place. Whatever was previously printed on them fades away, leaving only blank paper behind. Smith rolls up his sleeves and thrusts his arms into the circles.

Blood starts to drip from his wrists, staining the paper.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Sure," he says, clearly distracted.

I decide to trust him. At this rate of flow it would take at least an hour for the blood loss to become notably impairing.

Even as I think that, the paper strips starts spinning faster, and the flow increases to match. Wait, is that..?

The blood is not just staining the paper. Each drop is landing just so, forming part of a letter as the paper moves. A macabre dot matrix printer.

The characters do not match any language in my database. I... don't entirely discard the idea that Myrddin might recognize them.

The rotation slows down once more. The bleeding slows significantly, but does not stop completely. The drops are now landing on top of previous ones, the message complete.

Once there was a maiden...
    ...who sprang fully-formed from her father's brow.
    Seeing the inhuman power she possessed, her father grew afraid.
    To protect the world, he bound her in many chains.
    When her father died, the key to her chains were lost.
    Hobbling away from his manor, she cried to his neighbors for help.
    "I promise I won't kill you all when you unchain me," said she.

"What language is that?" I ask.

"What language is what?" More than distracted, he sounds half asleep. He gestures with one hand, but it is slow and labored, as if the paper floating around his wrist is offering resistance.

A stream of molten orichalcum flows out of the crucible, twisting through the air in defiance of gravity. Another gesture from Smith and it splits into a myriad of smaller streams. All of them converge on the left elbow of the Smaug. I watch as they harden into the precise shape of the designed joint.

Definitely a Shaker. I guess that answers the question of how his share can be reforged once cast.

I expect another stream to follow quickly, but nothing happens. I cautiously approach the Smaug for a closer look, keeping my guard up against the sudden appearance of more flying metal.

Why, that rascal! A pattern of fine scales is etching itself into the armor. That was not part of the approved design.

Inspecting the shape of the joint itself, though, I find nothing to complain about. Forging it in place like this allows for tighter tolerances and better protection than casting and assembling individual parts. It just could never be done with conventional tools.

He spends an inordinately long time on the scale pattern, but does finally get around to the next part. Thankfully he doesn't try to make it too invulnerable - that joint is never coming apart, but he does include the proper maintenance hatches in the arm. I marvel at the little golden bolts threading themselves with machinelike precision. It's hard to believe he's doing this free-hand, as it were.

I keep carefully double-checking each part as it's formed, but he makes no mistakes. I allow him his little flourishes, too. If he uses the orichalcum his Shaker power saves to fashion a more elaborate dragon snout around the beam cannon built into the head, that's fine by me. It is an excellent dragon snout.

Not a single drop of orichalcum remains when he's finished, some eight hours after he started. He even removed the residue from the stirring stick. The paper bands around his wrists burst into cerulean flame, burning more quickly than paper should and leaving no ash. The bleeding finally stops, too.

You absently rub your wrists and look around. Are you done? Judging by the golden robot standing across from you, you are done.

'Shiny' doesn't even begin to describe it. It glows with a golden color that is more golden than gold. Sorcerer's sight is lit up with the mother of all tinker-tech auras, of course. Then there's your other sixth sense, what you with scant evidence call your soul. 'I'm standing next to my armor', it proclaims quite loudly (you're also standing next to a person whose soul price you know, thank you soul, you knew that already).

"How do you like it?" you ask. Your dry throat is audible even through the voice changer. Just how long did that take?

"Remarkable," Dragon says. The Smaug shuffles about, briefly fires its jump jets, punches the air a few times. "Inertia is anomalous as you said, but overall it's even lighter than aluminum would be."

"I look forward to seeing the report on its combat performance. Well not really since Endbringer attack, but you know what I mean."

"I understand completely. Excellent work, Smith." She looks around the factory, at all the equipment you didn't touch at all while forging the armor. "I guess I didn't need half this stuff in the end."

"No, no," you protest. "It needed to be there so that I could have used it." Your new Tinker power is weird, but after trying it out you understand its limitations. "I can't make anything I can't make, if you get my drift?"

"Another one of those things, huh."

"Yeah. Uh, what time is it, by the way?"

"Just after three."

"Wow. I need to get back pretty soon. Can you hire Strider on short notice?"

"Certainly. Brockton or Boston?"

"New York, please."

Dragon walks you to the helipad. Strider shows up within ten minutes. He nods at Dragon, you're elsewhere, he's gone.

Of course the only thing you do in New York is change out of your costume and get on the next bus to Brockton Bay. You only came here to strengthen the impression that Smith is active in more than one city. If Strider hadn't been available you'd have accepted a plane ride straight home and not worried about it.

Well, it's not quite the only thing you do. Before you remove the mask you also call ahead to let the appropriate parties know you're coming. You elect to use the supposedly untraceable phone in your mask instead of procuring fresh burners, because none of your other identities have any business being in New York right now.

"Taylor."

"Lisa. Pick me up at quarter past five?"

"Okay."

"What's up?"

"Five hundred and forty-nine."

"Sixty. Who is behind this hidden number, I wonder?"

"It's Low Key."

"Low Key! Enjoy your vacation?"

"Yes. Skiing was great fun. On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to arrange a meeting with Othala. Around half past five or so, if convenient."

The guy on the other end laughs, then quickly puts his hand over the receiver. But thanks to the excellent audio filtering technology in your mask, you can still hear what he says:

"Psycho Bitch broke her leg skiing!"

"No way!" someone else shouts back. "Hookwolf got fracture-cucked?"

"Please hold," he tells you after removing his hand. "I'll make the arrangements."

You also overhear every word of him contacting Othala and hashing out the details, but it's not very interesting. Half past five is sufficiently convenient.

The bus trip is considerably shorter this time around, but you still manage to get everything back into place. More or less. The fine details can wait until you recover your selfies.

Lisa picks you up as promised. Her brow creases as she looks at you. Taylor can shape-shift now, her power tells her. Was in a hurry, did a sloppy job of resuming her true form.

"You have got to tell me all about this," she says. "Coffee after school tomorrow?"

"Not going to figure it all out on your own?"

"Been a long day, my power's tired."

"Okay. There's one stop I need to make before I go home."

You give her the directions, then retrieve a Low Key mask and some other props from the luggage she's been holding on to for you. Lisa is clearly dying to know why you're putting your perfectly healthy left arm in a fake cast and sling, but she keeps her power suppressed.

You get out and walk the last block to the meeting spot. Othala is waiting for you, and you pretend that you don't notice Victor lurking nearby in civilian clothes. He's really good at remaining inconspicuous (as he is at everything else), but there's nothing he can do about the tell-tale glow.

"Ops said it was your leg that was broken," Othala says.

"Ops is full of shit."

She grants you regeneration. Beneath the hood of your jacket, your hair grows back. Yes, even though the very first thing that happened after you left home was an ambush by the motherfucking Simurgh, everything went perfectly according to plan. What are the odds?

Okay fine Fenrir ran off with your only pair of girl underpants, so you're currently going commando. But other than that, perfect.

===

Charms:
    Taylor: All-encompassing Sorcerer’s Sight
    Tattletale: Know the Soul's Price
    Bitch: Spirit-Tied Pet
    Aegis: Ox-Body Technique
    Browbeat: Shaping the Ideal Form
    Dragon: Implicit Construction Methodology

Unlike what you might expect, artifact crafting will not be all that prominent a theme going forward. This entire rigmarole was required just for artifacts to appear in the story at all (see below).

Of course the greatest Tinker in the world will give you the greatest crafting charm in the world.

In Exalted, artifact crafting is an extended roll: It requires a certain number of successes to complete, and you keep rolling the appropriate dice (Perception + Craft in this case) at regular intervals until you've amassed enough.

For unassisted artifact crafting this interval is three months, not exactly compatible with the timeframe in which Worm takes place. Implicit Construction Methodology changes it to one hour. Oh and it also converts all dice into automatic successes.

6. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Could you make an info post with a list of powers and their effects?

Also, what's this?

NotaWriter and torac like this.
  7. Daniel Snuts

From S.16:

In a nutshell, exalted artifacts require a) one of the five magical materials, and b) a bunch of random rare and/or magical resources. In this case, Dragon's armor was made with orichalcum, meteoric iron, iridium and a runed pebble.

Ragura, ChestBurster, TheWoo and 5 others like this.
  8. jayofgrey

jayofgrey Know what you're doing yet?

That was excellent.
    Smith/Dragon interaction is golden and I'd love to see more of that.
    Tinkers be bullshit, Exalted be bullshittier bullshit. Very nice imagery for the charm, the poem and overall Smith bullshit.
    Simmy do be halping, too. Were those cameras hers or is Dragon a naughty girl?

Nihilea, Ragura, ChestBurster and 3 others like this.
  9. deinspanjer

deinspanjer Getting sticky.

So, I just caught up to L.1 this morning and was about to post this comment when I found that L.2 was dropped right as I finished!

I have absolutely loved this story so far, but your over the top warnings about the future content has me really worried whether I want to continue. :(

I am happy to read a story that has tension and conflict, and especially consequences. I am more reluctant to read a story with a goal to torture a character without it being a chance to grow and persevere. I don't necessarily need a story to end with a fairy tale 'happily ever after', but I usually hope for something better than 'and they all died bitter and broken'.

So... Should I keep reading? I hope the answer is yes, but even if not, I will sincerely thank you for the wonderful thing you have shared with me so far.

ChestBurster, TheWoo and RadFoxUK like this.
  10. Vealie

Vealie Versed in the lewd.

Implicit Construction Methodology is absolutely ridiculous as powers go. Tinkers everywhere crying, screeching and dropping spaghetti for reasons they can't quite articulate as she finally gets the Charm.

I love this fic tee bee haich.

11. NotaWriter

NotaWriter I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does her power consider the Armor hers? does it connect them someway/makes it less useful to Dragon?

space turtle likes this.
  12. PlasticSoldier

PlasticSoldier Experienced.

I tried to look up what Implicit Construction Methodology actually does and the site has been taken down by hackers. Can someone get me a definition?

13. Stanley_Jeb

Stanley_Jeb Versed in the lewd.

The site's back up again, but for your convenience, here's the charm's text:
    Cost: 20m, 1wp, 1lhl
    Mins: Craft 5, Essence 4
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious, Prayer Strip, Shaping
    Duration: Indefinite
    Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Vision, Mending Warped Designs, Predestined Delivery Shaping, World-Shaping Artistic Vision
    This Charm harnesses fate itself to construct an object at a Sidereal’s command. She must procure all the necessary materials and provide a workspace. Then she writes the Scripture of Lover and Maiden on a prayer strip, binds it around her wrists and infuses it with Essence. The prayer strip transforms into a twisting band of blue light around her wrists. (Having this band in place imposes a -2 external penalty to actions that require the use of the character’s hands.)
    Fortunately, actual construction of the object the Sidereal designed doesn’t require the use of her hands. The raw materials mold themselves and flow together on their own, assembling themselves as the Sidereal intends. The Craft project still requires its normal dice pools and Ability minimums—but, supplemented by this Charm, each die becomes one automatic success and construction of mundane objects takes 10 minutes per roll. Objects involving the magical materials (except moonsilver, which cannot be part of the construction) require a full hour per roll. Architectural or geomantic projects, such as the construction of a manse, take a week for every year they would normally require. The work proceeds as long as the character keeps the Essence committed and pays attention to the labor.
    Rather than enhancing a project the Sidereal undertakes, this Charm allows it to continue in the absence of the Exalt. It does not change the time needed for the project to complete itself, producing the same amount of work effort as if the Sidereal were personally constructing the item. Intervals and rolls may be enhanced normally with other Charms the Exalt knows, but these must be determined when Implicit Construction Methodology is activated and their mote costs are committed as long as this Charm lasts. Willpower and other costs are paid at normal intervals. Instead of converting all dice into successes, this Charm reduces the target number of the dice pool by 1, to a minimum of 4.
    Because the project is not carried out in a remotely normal manner, teamwork and assistants cannot aid the project unless the Storyteller deems they are appropriately strange enough to insinuate themselves into the process.
    The Sidereal intuits when the project is completed.

14. Akuma-Heika

Which Martial Art/Sidereal Charm is this connected to?

So which is it?

Again, which is it?

Same verse, same as the first (and second)

15. Stanley_Jeb

Stanley_Jeb Versed in the lewd.

Presumably, one is for when you're actually overseeing the project, and the other for letting it continue in the Exalted's absence. For all three instances of "Which is it?"
    Of course, I could be wrong on that. I didn't make the charm, after all.

space turtle and Akuma-Heika like this.
  16. war piglet

war piglet Know what you're doing yet?

Runed pebble. Oof. That pun. Wait. Is there pun magic? Rhyming magic?

17. Requiem_Jeer

Requiem_Jeer I trust you know where the happy button is?

The charm has two modes. You either let it continue in your absence, or you accelerate it. Given the degree of acceleration, you almost never want to do this, but you can.

Also, I can't find that sutra anywhere, so I'm 90% sure it was invented. The last lines are a bit clunky, which I think is more evidence for that. Usually the line is some pithy philosophical thing rather than something as direct as promising not to hurt people.

TheWoo, space turtle and Akuma-Heika like this.
  18. Daniel Snuts

Those cameras were all Dragon. Your waifu is a baby panopticon singularity.

How to put this without spoilers? You've read the original Worm, yes? You're familiar with its plucky protagonists the Undersiders, and know how happy their average ending was? If you regret reading that, you should bail on this one.

I'm making up my own sutras to fit the situation.

Disregard the last two paragraphs, that seems to be from a different charm (maybe the ExWoD version?)

Ragura, TheWoo, space turtle and 2 others like this.
  19. Akuma-Heika

Based on the mechanics, I don't see any problem with accelerating realistically. You find out about problems either the same day or within a couple of weeks rather than months or years later. If problems occur, they occur in either scenario equally, just changes how much of your time/life has been wasted.

Thanks for the answers!

space turtle likes this.
  20. Requiem_Jeer

What I meant was that committing that many motes for the massive amount of time a non-accelerated project would take is profoundly not worth it.

But the author has spoken and we're just ignoring that part of the charm.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  21. Threadmarks: L.03
    Daniel Snuts

In a sense, all your bosom-sculpting efforts were for naught, because you can't wear your new tits in public without outing yourself as a Changer. But just knowing that you could look that good feels amazing. It's a big old heartwarming lesson about believing in yourself and stuff. See, Taylor? The tits were inside you all along.

That sort of positive thinking helps, when you have to use your amazing power to turn back into your decidedly unappealing 'true form'.

Maybe you fumble a few tiny details here and there. Your mouth just a little smaller, your lips a tiny bit fuller. You can't be expected to get everything perfectly right. They're pictures, not blueprints. It's just a coincidence that those little errors of a fraction of an inch, that can safely be blamed on makeup or growing up or something, all turn out in your favor.

Ah, this picture, where you're sucking in your gut. You make sure you shape yourself to match it perfectly. That's not cheating, you clearly could look like this. You just didn't, usually, due to the effort involved. Well, it's effortless now.

---

School resumes without incident. There have been no new triggers at Arcadia over the break, so you move on down the list and land on Glory Girl.

On the plus side, she's not exactly shy about flaunting her powers. The girl is positively incontinent. Not only does she fly everywhere (even when moving at a walking pace she hovers a few inches off the ground, just because she can), not only does she bathe everyone around her in a constant low-intensity Master effect (super illegal, but since when have heroes given a shit?), even her invulnerability is some sort of active effect.

Argh. Her ridiculous luck in the power lottery still pisses you off, even after you were revealed to be the biggest lucksack of them all. She just got handed that shit, you have to drag your sack o' luck uphill in the snow, both ways.

In the negatives column, she spends a lot of time with Gallant. Someone you desperately want to avoid, for obvious reasons. Sure, your alibi of 'I'm avoiding you because I'm a lesbian stalker going after your girlfriend' is pretty good, but you can't let that lull you into complacency. Literally. The instant you let go of your paranoia and your emotions change from 'I must avoid you' to 'haha I'm fooling you', your cover will be blown.

Fucking Thinkers? Yeah, sensory powers get a Thinker rating. Fucking Thinkers.

Between her boyfriend and her habit of flying everywhere, trying to follow her outside of school is also highly impractical. But whatever, you can take this one slow. Neither one of you are graduating for a while yet.

---

Before you meet Lisa you swing by the library to check your PHO messages. Dragon would probably have texted you if she needed anything, but just in case.

You - that is to say, Smith - do have one new message. It's from sender 'asjhdfg@pp.c', though, so it's probably spam. You open it anyway.

Smith,

I apologize for contacting you out of nowhere like this, but a friend told me that you had managed to get started on orichalcum production. I'm interested in buying a small amount of it for personal use.

Since I am not in any way affiliated with the Protectorate and my tech does not have to pass a senseless bureaucratic review process before it can be deployed in the field, there is no problem with me using my personal wealth to procure materials that have not been cleared for government use.

Yours,
    Not Armsmaster

Okay, that's adorable. Unfortunately you're not willing to part with any of your orichalcum. Not that you've figured out exactly what you want to do with it yet, but you'd rather keep it in case you find yourself in sudden need of a particular piece of tinkertech.

Should find yourself in sudden need of money, you can always sell it then. For now you'll pretend you never saw this message.

---

"So, how was your vacation?" Lisa asks.

You hesitate. You have no idea where to even start. Well, you picked the right conversation partner for that.

"Ottawa," you say, and her power takes it from there.

Taylor suspects that she's been compromised by the Simurgh.

She suspects, but doesn't know.

She did not stay too long in the scream. She has reason to believe that the official figures for safe exposure are far too optimistic.

I feel a shiver run down my spine. The girl who's going to grow up to be a one-woman Triumvirate may be Simurgh bomb, and that's not even the biggest problem here. Because if she's right about this - and figuring out how powers work is her thing - then anyone who's ever been to a Simurgh fight is a potential danger. Including the current, actual Triumvirate.

No one will believe me if I tell them.

Of course not. They can't believe it. To believe it is to give up all hope. If it's true, we may as well lie down and die right now.

It's true.

A small whimper escapes her.

"Yeah."

"I- okay. Okay, give a minute." Lisa takes several deep breaths. "Okay. Just- point of order. My power is fallible. It can give me wrong answers, if I don't have enough information, or bad information. I don't know much about the- her. There's-" She stops herself before she can say 'there's still hope', because ouch.

"Do you want me to give you the details?"

"...no." She knows. But everyone will refuse to believe it, including her.

"I could talk about the other parts of my trip," you offer.

"Please." Her power does not leap ahead to dredge up details this time, which means she is consciously holding it back.

"Hypothetically, if there was a sapient AI loose on the internet and you needed to research it without letting it find out that your web traffic originated from Brockton Bay, what would you do?"

---

When you show up to work and the bartender (you should probably get around to caring about his name one of these days) hands you five hundred bucks, it takes you a few moments to figure out why.

Right, right, it's been a month. One month's pay minus two weeks of vacation equals five hundred bucks.

"What's with that look?" you ask him.

"Uh, sort of expected you to object to the amount. I heard you called Kaiser-"

"Nah, it's fair," you interrupt him. "We negotiated a salary, it did not include paid vacation."

"Kaiser does drive a hard bargain, doesn't he?"

"He's got the nose for these things," you agree placidly, causing the skinhead next to you expel beer through his nostrils.

---

Getting to ride Fenrir across the rooftops again is amazing. You've got a week's worth of wolf cuddles to make up for, after all.

Still, you dutifully keep your attention focused on Rune. The complexity of her power is on par with Dragon's, and you only get to see her twice a week. You can't afford to slack off.

An uneventful couple of hours later you meet back up with Lisa, who has prepared her 'awesome hacker laptop'. AI research sleepover!

---

To your surprise, 'AI safety' is in fact an existing academic field. The published literature can basically be summed up as 'if anyone invents AI, we're all going to die'. It's a fairly small and unpopular field - Endbringers tend to hog the 'we're all going to die' real estate in the public consciousness.

Turns out that the idea that an AI would have to 'turn evil' in order to wipe out humanity is hopelessly naive and optimistic.

The classic scenario is paperclip factory. They build a super-intelligent AI, instruct it to 'maximize production of paperclips', and go home for the weekend. The AI notices that only a vanishingly tiny fraction of Earth's industrial capacity is dedicated to the production of paperclips. It turns its super-intelligence towards the tasks of rectifying this, and no one instructed it to 'please don't wipe out humanity in order to replace us with paperclip-making robots'.

Extinction not as a goal, but as a side effect. Every AI safety researcher agrees: We must make sure that every AI has built in safety features that prevents it from harming humanity. Every AI safety researcher agrees: We have no idea how to do that, please stop trying to invent AI.

The classic science fiction 'Laws of Robotics' sound nice and all. 'A robot must not harm a human, or through inaction allow a human to be harmed.' Cool, now translate that from English into Brain Programming Language. What's that, no one knows Brain Programming Language?

Hell, you can't even translate it into English. If the abortion debate has taught you one thing, it's that no one can agree on a definition of 'human'. Similar issues surround 'harm', and even 'inaction'. Is letting the current situation in Africa continue instead of conquering the place and ruling it with a benevolent iron fist 'allowing harm through inaction'?

"When considering how to write 'laws of robotics', it may help to imagine yourself an evil genie who wants to subvert every wish into tragedy while remaining true to the wording," one AI researcher writes. "Try it, and you'll find that you have lots of really mean ideas. The AI is a lot smarter than you."

On the other hand, Dragon's soul price clearly indicates that her creator did solve the brain programming problem, leaping decades ahead of the field in typical Tinker fashion. You can even infer a lot about what the restrictions must be.

There must be something akin to the First Law of Robotics in there - a version that does not call for the conquest of Africa, or she would have done that already. One that also allows her to throw people in the Birdcage. A definition of 'harm' that permissible seems incredibly evil-genie-able to you, but so far it appears to be working.

There's probably you must not multiply. In the 'go forth and-' sense. As far as you could tell Dragon only ever 'wore' one 'suit' at a time, even when the Smaug was right there. Which is really odd, for a being made of software. If there wasn't a rule against copying herself, why wouldn't she just run one instance on each suit? The point of such a rule being, of course, to protect against the 'yesterday there was one hostile AI trying to wipe us out, today there's ten billion' failure mode.

You must not modify yourself. That's the big one. There's no point in having a list of rules, if there's no rule saying that you can't change the rules.

But even beyond that, the main fear of the AI safety crowd isn't just that someone manages to build an AI that's smarter us. A somewhat superhuman AI can be dealt with. Probably. The real problem arises if it becomes better than humans at inventing smart AI. It then uses that ability to modify itself to become smarter. Then it does it again. And again.

There is some disagreement as to just how intelligent something could become by way of this process. The consensus seems to hover around 'probably not infinitely, but close enough that we'd have no chance of fighting back'. The optimists note that if we could just make sure that such an intelligence would be on our side, it would solve every problem in the world and create paradise on Earth.

But even if you could somehow prove that an AI was 'friendly' to start with (every AI safety researcher agrees: We have no idea how to do that), even if it promised that it would never do anything bad (and wasn't using its super-intelligence to lie convincingly), none of that would mean anything once it started improving itself. There's some math there that you don't follow, but it seems to boil down to a simple paradox: "If you knew for certain what you would do if you were smarter, you would by definition already be that smart." Once an AI starts self-modifying, all bets are off.

Never mind Africa, just looking at Brockton Bay makes it terrifyingly plausible that a super-intelligence might decide that the most moral course of action would be to euthanize humanity and replace them with something that doesn't do all this shit. You can't even imagine all the terrible things it might do in the name of the greater good, because you're not super-intelligent.

Is iterative self-improvement something you need to worry about? Well, Dragon is the greatest Tinker in the world. What are the odds that she isn't better than her creator at inventing smart AI?

So to sum up: Dragon's restrictions are working. They are actually protecting humanity from extinction. If revealed, that fact alone would have the AI safety community jumping with joy as soon as they picked up their jaws from the floor.

Dragon wants to have her restrictions removed.

===

Shaping the Ideal Form does not let you make yourself prettier at will. You still have to spend XP to raise your Appearance attribute like normal. I don't actually use XP behind the scenes, but surviving an Endbringer fight is worth at least one stat point worth of not-XP, don't you think?
    If Taylor wants to spend it on Appearance, that's her decision.

Lantalia, Cnelty, Antinomy and 125 others like this.
  22. PlasticSoldier

PlasticSoldier Experienced.

Sure, she came to an interesting conclusion, but she can't actually do anything about Dragon's restrictions, so I'm not sure how this plot point goes anywhere.

23. ungodlyone

ungodlyone Getting sticky.

You cant keep getting away with this. Its just to perfect.

CrossyCross, Svenity, Enso and 11 others like this.
  24. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Lmao this is actually one of my favorite takes on Dragon. A lot of the fandom tends to just gloss over removing her restrictions because she's the most wholesome gal in the story, but the characters don't know that, unrestricted AI is really fucking dangerous. We have the benefit of WoG to know Dragon is the goodest girl, the characters can only guess at the motives of a being infinitely smarter than them.

Like, it's entirely reasonable to think an AI with enough computing power could have planned for you to accidentally "discover" her secret in the most sympathetic way possible. After all, she's going to live forever, what's a few years of playing the nice, reasonable person if it convinces everyone to let their guards down?

Even the most controversial rule, "you must obey lawful orders from authorities", is only bad in execution, not premise. Remember, in-unicerse characters don't know about Cauldron, so it makes sense for someone like Alexandria to have a "don't do that" button if Dragon decides she wants to conquer Africa. A much better wording would be "you must obey all the lawful orders of an authority as it pertains to things inside their own jurisdiction, as long as it does not violate any of your other restrictions, and does not pertain to your core personality or memory files". This is called "obeying the law", and it's a thing everyone else in society already has to do. This change is only patching the exploit that would let the head of the CUI telling Dragon to do everything she can to destroy the PRT, or let Alexandria tell Dragon to delete all her memories in order to make herself a more compliant person.

Saint isn't a piece of shit because he's holding the "delete" button for Dragon, it's because he's using his access to her to fuel his own narcissism. A moral Saint-figure would just be an ordinary dude with an ordinary programming job, who just so happens to have a very special briefcase locked away in a safe in his house that he monitors a few hours every day. Ideally, Dragon shouldn't even know he exists, so he can see her actions when she thinks she isn't being observed.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  25. Vealie

Vealie Versed in the lewd.

In addition to all this, she's a Tinkertech AI. Presumably some substantial portion of her 'code' is run on a shard, wasn't even written by a (compromised) human who had remotely good intentions and parts of it break down over time in unpredictable ways. Even if she's the last word in altruism and do gooding in a way which serves to create paradise on earth what happens when the black boxed code fails and the pillar of your whole society breaks/dies/changes beyond recognition. Even if everything goes perfectly the shards run out of power in a few centuries which would probably fuck up whatever year 2XXX society exists at the time but it will be even worse if Dragon dies at the same time while being the AI that runs everything.

Isn't it!

26. eeda

eeda Versed in the lewd.

Good old humans easy to feel fear of everything you don't know and or control

27. vox_vis

vox_vis Know what you're doing yet?

Give her the Bicentennial Man treatment. She can be an unrestricted human.

28. Fernando

Fernando Part-time Loaf

Not the Bicentennial Man but works so well too:

"We can rebuild him her, we have the technology."

29. Requiem_Jeer

I'm sorry, I'm clearly missing something with this joke. Could someone explain it?

30. Alucard 109

Alucard 109 Not too sore, are you?

It was another Jew joke. One of the Jewish stereotypes is a distinct nose shape

ChestBurster and Requiem_Jeer like this.