1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Really but Rouge's a grown woman in that show at least I thought she was
    Edit:And Magneto was running Genosha in Wolverine and the X-Men

2. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Whatever the case, that is the X-Men show that officially shares a universe with Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Xmaster3000, Bud-E and Relyt33 like this.
  3. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Based on Rogue being a teenager I would assume this either just assumes that WatXM isnt canon since that isnt ever used and instead adapts in comics akin to Earth 16; or that it maybe uses Evolution since that is the only show that has teenage Rogue. But it doesnt have the Shiar either.

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought Mr Zoat was using a version of the 90's X-Men series, since I believe he used a clip from there.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I was expecting "Brand", but this works better.

Efficient Market Hypothesis!OL? ...probably that one that employs former supervillains.

6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat Found an old error. I'm pretty sure that English plural words that end in 's' would have an apostrophe no extra 's' so it would be "Zeus' nemesis/wisdom"
    BTW: What does Eris look like? I like the New52 Eris design but I know you don't put anything Post-Flashpoint in your fic.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ah! Easy solution, then. I just have to say that it happens years later. I don't think there was any crossover.
    It's a perfectly cromulent word.
    I'm okay with the Nu52 design for Eris. It makes her stand out.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That probably was the Paul that joined the X-Men and not the Avengers.
    If I remember correctly, her pre n52 self looked kinda like a female Ares.

ChestBurster likes this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Did I imagine Mr Zoat including a link from the 90's show that had Rogue be disowned by her father then?

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually "headmaster", I think?

BrotherofaStudio likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

A quick google suggests that both are okay.

12. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So, this guy just shows up here, no introduction at all, with everyone acting like they know him.

No link to his comic page if he is new to the story.
    No link to the last episode he appeared in if he has been in the story before.
    What gives?

do

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Zoat doesn't usually link to people who have already appeared in-story in the actual chapters, and Sandy first appeared several episodes ago, though I can't remember exactly where. In-universe I believe it was, at most, a year ago.

14. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

He's only appeared once before as far as I can tell, in part 19 of episode 100, with only a few mentions to go with it. That chapter was posted almost two years ago. Both of those together isn't going to lead to something memorable.

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  15. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

There was no crossover. The only real referemce was Fury mentioning the MRD in one episode plus word of god. Wolverine appearwd in EMH, but no real reference.

And it beign set after EMH makes sense a lot actually. EMH seems fairly young as far as universes go. Maybe 5 years of activity at most by the time of Breakout.

Meanwhile WatXM is a fairly mature universe that alreasy had the team for a while before they broke up after the mansion blew up. Kitty is an adult even.

I would recommend WatXM. It was a pretty good show aside from the mandated Wolverine publicity. But I did find the reversed dynamic of him and Scott interesting where Logan needs to step up outside his comfort zone while Scott deals with loss and becomes the brooding loner.

16. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Yes, and the other side backed down before he did that.

So Paul is free to play a similar card next time someone rolls up with intent to conquer.

He's not constrained by his play here, he would have been if he'd actually followed through, which he might have had to if the Kree got serious, but they didn't.

If the Shi-ar get uppity, he can make a similar threat with another faction, if the Skrulls get to poking around he can threaten to go to the Kree, if the fire giants get grabby he can threaten to sign on with Asgard. There's enough factions with an interest in earth that Paul can use them all to hold each other off.

17. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The threat of Asgard has the most credibility as he knows Thor quite well and is dating Hela.

Windona and Lord Ernest like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    16:57 GMT +3

We're halfway across Erebos before Zagreus catches up with us on his flying chariot.

"Lanterns and… New person. I assume that I have you to thank for the demon and the immortal wizard who recently visited me in my father's palace?"

"Actually, the general plan was Doctor Balewa's idea. I just suggested that we enter the Dream from here."

"Why do you want to physically enter the Dream? Is my sister involved?"

"Melinoë isn't involved, and if Doctor Balewa didn't tell you then I probably shouldn't. This isn't something that can become widely known."

His face hardens. "Thanks to your bizarre effort at marriage counselling, I have been forced to remain in Erebos in case matters arise that my father does not remember how to deal with. Erebos is not your playground and you may not simply come and go as you please."

Sanderson looks at Zagreus for a moment, then looks at me. "Are you going to introduce us?"

"This is Prince Zagreus, God of Trapping and son of Hades, God of the Dead. Zagreus, this is Sanderson Hawkins."

Sanderson looks confused. "You're a god?"

Zagreus nods curtly. "And you are-." His eyes widen slightly. "What are you?"

"I'm-. Sandman. A super hero."

"I can feel the-. The Dream's magic throughout-."

Alan nods. "We're sorry for keeping you out of the loop, Zagreus, but… Ah, if there's one thing spending time with Paul has taught me… Sometimes it's really best not to ask."

That's fair. But it's actually true here. If we lose -or at least fail to achieve our primary objective- then John Quinn might take revenge against Erebos for allowing us to use the portal. Doubly so if he knew in advance.

Then again…

"Zagreus, what is my position in the Olympic pantheon?"

He frowns. "Your posit-?" A moment of realisation, and a small nod. "You are Hephaestaean's herald."

"Yes. So I actually do have the right to come through here without explicit permission. You could argue that I should have gotten permission for Alan and Sanderson, but I don't think that's actually true. I will thank you for your cooperation upon my return."

"You intend to speak to-? Why would-? No. No, I do not need to know. You have introduced enough chaos into my life."

"That's what I do."

"Then I will make a request that you visit my father's home once your business in concluded and you can explain it to me."

I nod. "Circumstances permitting, I will."

"I would wish you good fortune, but I suspect that your enemies will need it more."

He tugs the reins, his perfectly normal horses turning in the air to return him to the palace.

Sanderson watches him go. "I thought a god would be… I don't know… Bigger?"

"You could put that in the suggestions box."

"What's a 'suggestions box'?"

"Exactly what it sounds like."

The three of us finally finish flying over the Fields Formerly Known As Punishment and begin our descent towards the Gate of Horn and Ivory. The area around here is a place the priestesses of some Amazon cults make pilgrimage to, due to the… Intrusion of the Dream into Erebos and the mixing of their magics. There are some very strange creatures in the surrounding area, but those aren't our problem today.

"If you see something that you think should be changed, you write your suggestion down and post it in the box. Every so often, someone from management comes down, opens the box up and burns the content."

Alan lets out a burst of surprised laughter.

Sanderson doesn't get it. "Then why does anyone write anything?"

"They don't do it where the staff can see. The idea is to make people identify more with the company than they ordinarily would, giving the impression that they have input in its decisions. People commit more to things they were involved in deciding. Or things they think they were involved in deciding."

I shrug.

"And thus: democracy."

"But I can set fire to paper just fine by myself-. No, wait just a minute." He sounds upset. "Are you serious?"

"Well, the idea of the national struggle comes from revolutionary France, as distinct from aristocrats fighting over their own concerns and dragging the local peasants into it. The idea is that The People have decided to fight and therefore every citizen is obliged to get involved however they personally feel about it."

"But surely they don’t burn the ballot papers."

"Paul." Alan raises his right hand with a small shake of his head. "I don't think that Sandy's quite ready for… You, yet."

"I'm sorry. Trustworthy elections have election monitors from either all involved parties or entirely uninvolved parties precisely to make sure that things like that don't happen. Because if it does happen, it completely destroys confidence in the process, even if it doesn't happen very often, because people need to know that their contribution meant something."

"So that whole thing you just did was a joke? Kinda dark, don't you think?"

"Civilisation needs both people who see all that it could be and people who see what it could become. And it's helpful if they talk to each other." As we land, I point to the two people waiting for us. "Case in point. Allow me to introduce Doctor Nommo Balewa, aka Doctor Mist, and The Demon Constantine. Constantine, say something uplifting!"

He affects a look of confusion for a moment, before shrugging. "If you're short-sighted when you're young, you'll eventually get perfect vision 'cause of how the muscles in your eyes get weaker with age. Lasts for about a week, then you start being long-sighted and need completely different glasses."

"Doctor Balewa?"

"All things thet live are linked by a shared vital force. No matter where we are in the universe, we are near things thet are kin to us."

"Thank you, point proven."

"It is good to meet you, Sanderson Hawkins."

"You too, sir."

No hesitation there. That's what comes of being friends with William Everett.

"Are there any preparations we need to do?"

"No." Dr. Balewa turns and strides towards the gate. "We should begin our journey at once."

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought Zagreus was the god of hunting? Or is that just Artemis, and Zagreus is specifically the act of trapping?

I enjoy seeing Paul's actions baffle people of all power levels.

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Nah, burning the content would be too much trouble. More likely they read and laugh at a few before throwing them all in the trash or recycle.

22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Could Dream use Sanderson‘s body to mold dream-sapients, empowered beings like Diana?

Would their metaphors for death and the afterlife relate to sandcastles crumbling from the ocean waves?

Is Paul’s suggestion box anecdote directly ripped from a Pratchet work?

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True.

No one is.

Well he'd still be affiliated with hunting.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Extraneous ‘
    ‘thet’
    I wonder who he’s thinking of. Dream?
    I hadn’t thought about how Sanderson could have been racist. I guess the Justice Society was very progressive. I wonder if they sped up the anti-racism movement by simply being extremely powerful figures who weren’t racist.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

If I remember right, he's currently serving as regent of Erebos, yes? Only natural he'd come to check on the intrusion of unfamiliar souls then. I'm guessing the good Doctor had to do some very persuasive talking to convince him to allow the Demon's presence.

As hard as it might be to believe, Zaggy, the world doesn't revolve around the affairs of the Olympians. :D But OL being involved is very easy to understand.

How is that going, by the by? Any juicy gossip from their dates?

Trapping, eh? I suppose it is a form of hunstman-craft. And probably minimises confusion with Artemis' more aggressive portfolio of Hunting.

Besides rather handsome? Living sand probably isn't something he's ever seen before.

You need to be a little more confident, Sanderson. Don't ask people if you're a hero, declare it loudly. Preferably after you've knocked out the bad guys from ambush, mind. No point taking risks, even if you might be rather more durable than your mentor was.

Yes, OL, they're serious. You are something of an acquired taste...

He might be a little wary of taking on a pantheon, even one going through some reorganisation.

Not a completely formal posting, I take it, but a convenient legal loophole. I presume Hermes is still negotiating his updated position with Hephaestaean.

See, Zaggy, you're learning. In this case, what you don't know won't give you a headache trying to understand it.

Hope you plan to have some aspirin handy, then.

Also true. Of course, given the Constantine Luck...

What, were you expecting a figure three times the height of a man, with a tunic the colour of blood, pinned with skulls?

I suspect Zagreus hasn't introduced that modern convenience, and doesn't plan to. Easy enough for someone to come find him if they want to offer their thoughts.

The passage into Dream's realm, and more often than not a direct route to his castle. Hopefully they won't have to challenge the guards: The Gryphon, Hippogryph and Wyvern.

Yeah, I expect he's had to deal with that sort of upper management in his time.

Also, OL is making a joke. I mean, burning the contents? These days, that'd get them penalised for environmentally unfriendly practices. :D It'd be straight to the recycling bin!

...And this is why Alan didn't want him hanging out with you, OL. Your sense of humour is rather.. elevated.

Sadly the theatre of politics is all about the imagery.

OL... Just... Let it go, before you break his faith in modern culture entirely...

And which side of that divide do you fall on, OL, hmm? :p

Huh, I'm amazed he rolled with what he'd see as a non-sequitor. But then, why pass up the chance to fuck with the good guys? :p

Well, he is Enlightened. He's more than well aware of those connections, even if not consciously.

That would be Amazing Man, one of DC's less well-known characters. A hero during the War, and a colleague of Sandy's during the All-Star Squadron days.

And here comes the acid-trip road-trip. :p

Well, Sanderson is getting quite the tour of the weirder side of the heroing life, isn't he? The Greek afterlife, and then a trip into the realm of dreams. What's next, a trip to space? :D At any rate, good to see no time being wasted. The sooner they sort this out, the sooner things can get back to a new normal. Or at least what passes for normal with OL involved.

26. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

You have to destroy the ballots or a physical recount would reveal your fraud, and yes, its very troublesome, that is why they went digital.

Cuchulin, mauke and Kaldi97 like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably.

You can just say batshit.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    'You're a credit to your people, son.'
    Not by much, as most people wouldn't have direct interaction with them.

29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Quite the compliment from Zagereus.

And it's Totally Not The White Entity. But that is a nice pearl of wisdom, and consistent with a few different theological beliefs iirc.

At the very least I have a feeling the KKK was hurt by them. Of course, the Red Scare did throw the JSA underground so that probably hurt them and their ability to tamp things down.

30. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Sometimes, all you can do is choose whether you'll laugh or cry.

Cuchulin, mauke and pervyshyguy like this.