1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Thanks. I’m a little surprised that I don’t remember, since I think I really liked the Power Ring Blue segments.

2. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

I'm confused, aren't you never supposed to split the party?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's been a long time since the last segment, so it's easy to forget some things.

This seems to have been a more accidental splitting.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Semicolon instead of comma, or maybe break it into two sentences.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

It would be interesting if, after having a conversation and learning what the people where doing, Alan/Blue Lantern actually agreed to sell his memory/dream in order to advance the plot/story by obtaining help from the dream merchants.

7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Friends don't let Friends sell parts of their mind/body/soul without a spotter.

8. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Five More
    Minutes, Ma

Something…

It's slipping away. I'm not sure what it was, but I don't… I think I miss it.

Like a… Like a weight is being lifted after being there for so long I couldn't remember what it not being there was like.

I think-.

"Blue Lantern. Can you hear me?"

Heh, I don't know what it was I forgot. Didn't Ted Knight make a joke about-.

"…going stag, Jay. I don't wanna make things awkward for you and Joan."

I don't… I don't think I want to-.

"…friend of Joan's. You'll be doing us both a favor, really."

I see my own… Smiling face in the mirror at the back of the bar. God, I look young.

"That bad, huh?"

I know where this goes. I-. I remember the first time I-.

"Hey Rose."

And then it's clear again, no bar, no… People I don't remember. Just me, whoever I am, floating in the-.

I use a windmill construct to blow the poisonous pollen away from all of the people, catching sight of Thorn fleeing down a corridor at the back of the room. I think about going after her, but I can't risk any of that stuff getting on the civilians.

I don't wanna-.

I see Rose in her wedding dress and I'm-. Struck dumb. I don't move until Jay elbows me in the ribs.

I-. No.

Three people are dead in the streets and-. And-. And-. How the hell didn't I notice-. "You! I don't know how you're controlling my wife, but I'll-.

"Blue Lantern? Are you awake?"

I open my eyes, and there's. Some sort of bag on my lap, and something around my head. And my ring's gone. Where-?

"Wesley? What..?"

"Thanks, but you've got the wrong Sandman. Are you alright?"

I reach up and take a hold of the magical rope around my head. And I close my eyes and-. I don't even know how I should feel. Rose was in my life for over sixty years and these ropes were practically making my brain dribble out of my ears…

Damn it.

"Sandy, right. Back with it. Do I-?" I look down at my lap again and-. Gourds, they're gourds, with ropes tied to the rope around my forehead running from the tops. "Can I take this off?"

Sandy… Kind of… Shimmers-. No, it's like he gets a little insubstantial for a moment.

"Ah… Let me."

He goes back to looking normal, then takes a hold of the rope around my head-.

Fightblastshinesmilecoldwooshpeopletallskyhurtfacefacefacerecognizebuildingtrainmovingclacking…

Sandy pulls the rope off my head, then picks up the gourds and throws them across the room.

"Son of a-!" I shake my head, trying to clear out getting ninety years of memories all stuffed into it all at once. "Give a fellah a little warning next time."

"Sorry, Blue Lantern. I'm kinda new at this."

"New at-" I try to stand, Sandy hovering on my left just in case I collapse. But I don't. I may not exactly be feeling 100% right now, but I'm not that feeble. "-what?"

"You know how Wesley had visions? Well, now I do too. And a few others things while we're in the Dream. That's how I found you." He glances towards-. The door. "What happened?"

"Merchant wanted to show me what his dream transfer equipment could do. It was supposed to show me the storm we need to get through. Looks like he wasn't on the up-and-up."

"Did you see a lot of this building?"

"No." I look around-. He already got one of the guards. "Just a couple of rooms. Didn't see this place."

Okay, no ring, but I've been in worse spots, and… Right now I kinda wanna hit someone with my own fists. Only question is, are we trying to get away, or trying to take that dirty rat into custody? Hm. We'll have to play it by ear. The idea of leaving my ring behind sticks in my craw, but I can always-.

I hold out my right hand and think back to when I'd forgotten all my problems.

I can't call it to me like Paul can with his ring, but now I know where we're going.

I march over to the door, pull it open and cautiously stick my head out. Nothing much in either direction, and-.

Is that a scimitar?

I step out into the corridor, then crouch down and pick it up. I'm not an expert swordsman or anything, but it's amazing what you can pick up a little of.

"A sword?" Sandy's got his gas gun out and is covering the right hand corridor. "Isn't that a little..? Dangerous?"

"Not as dangerous as trying to fight a swordsman bare handed."

"I mean…"

I flash him a smile, which probably comes across as a little drained.

"I know. I don't plan on cutting anyone down, but sometimes the wages of sin are paid in pain." I start down the corridor in the direction I feel my ring in. "But I can hold them off until you can send them to sleep."

"I don't know for sure my gun works on these people."

I stop, frowning. Ah. It's a bit of a Paul solution, but it makes a worrying amount of sense.

"In that case, why don't you nip back and dose that guard?"

"Because-!" He winces at the sound of his own voice, and I listen carefully for the sound of anyone responding. Nothing just yet. "He's a tied up prisoner."

"Your gun's loaded with dream dust." I shrug nonchalantly. "Completely safe knock out gas. All that's going to happen is that he goes to sleep. Either that, or nothing at all."

"I guess…"

He doesn't like it, and I get that it doesn't feel right. But we need to know, and I can't think of any reason why it would hurt the guy. Sandy takes a few steps back, pushing the door open and raises his gun.

"Sorry about this."

Dream dust shoots out of the barrel and… Whaw, that takes me back, the clouds of the stuff settling in the dungeon room.

Sandy lowers the gun, nodding.

"It works."

"Good. They're not going to know what hit them."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remove the last two words.

"lap"

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'as'.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, having your memories getting leached away via dreams will do that to you, Alan. Don't worry, Sandy'll have you back on your feet in a second. Don't want to rush, or your brain'll be leaking out your ears.

Huh. So, despite the danger to him, this was almost therapeutic for him. I guess seeing those dream-memories helped him sort through things a little...

To be fair, Ted wasn't one of the best guys to listen to about mental health. Given his own issues, after all...

As tempting as it is to stay in the dream, Alan, you have to wake up sometime.

Honestly, I'm amazed the tiny mask did anything to hide his identity, with his movie-star looks. Maybe the flaming green aura helped.

One of the happy moments, eh? Meeting the love of his life for the first time...

Ah, the transititory nature of a dream...

I mean, in that costume, that might be a hard choice for some with a less polished sense of duty.

I'm sure many a man has had that moment at the altar.

And now to return to reality... Or at least what passes for it in this place.

Though I don't doubt Sanderson felt a little thrill at being mistaken for his mentor... On the other hand, no ring? That's... Bad.

Maybe get angry at the swindler who got you into this position. That should help.

Morpheus' blessing proving a little odd to those around him, I see. Hopefully that's only because of his present location...

Wonder if he got a look at what would happen if he pulled too hard...

Talk about having your life flash before your eyes. :p

Understandable. It's not like you guys went wandering in the Dreaming back in the Forties...

The teleporting is a nice trick. Pity they can't take advantage of it to step right into the Tower...

Well, you got to see how it worked, all right. Not quite from the angle you hoped for, though.

Call it? Worth a try. Not sure you have the proficiency to manage that... Yet.

Helpful. Wonder if that's something Kalmin added?

You're lucky it isn't in the hands of a big shirtless Arab crying "Hassan CHOP!"

:p What's so hard about swordfighting? Pointy end goes in the bad guy, right? Or more like chopping wood, depending on the sword...

Just like you don't bring a knife to a gun fight... Unless you're Judomaster, having the same kind of stuff as the other guy makes it fair.

Man, can Alan speechify or what?

In this case, the OL method might be the best option...

He also had a sword while checking on a presumably unconscious prisoner. I don't think he's any kind of good guy.

And better to find out now than when you're facing down half a dozen goons coming at you...

Well, I'm sure that makes him feel so much better. :p

Ah, the good old days... When all you had to deal with were gangsters with tommy guns, and the occasional cape...

Now the fun question: Will he dream? :V

And we've changed genres again, from OL's diplomatic thriller to superhero action to swashbuckling. The paths the story takes around here, huh? What's the bet we flip back to OL, or over to Doctor Mist tomorrow? :D Ah, a divided party. The bane of DMs everywhere. But the truly talented ones can make it work.

Missing full stop.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

People honestly underestimate how much some small things can change a person's overall appearance.

The mask may be small, but even small things can make a big difference.
    Well Wesley may have.

13. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Wouldn't dream dust do something freaking in the Dream?
    I know you can sleep in dreams. I often wake up and get in my car and then do something stupid and get pulled over while half asleep in my nightmares.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  14. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Aye, I have four government photo ID cards, they all look like different people.

15. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

I'm starting to think that John1 cast a spell to make Paul run into unrelated villainy whenever he tries to find Constantine. Nothing overt and obvious, just a subtle distraction that plays on his tendency to be nosy.

I mean, this is what, the fifth side quest that's hit explicitly because of the search? Even taking a superhero's odds of finding trouble into account it's a bit much.

1Which John, you may ask? It could be either, but I think it's more likely to be original flavour rather than the usurper, both because subtle chaos-brand fuckery is more Constantine's style and that his rescue being stymied by his own defensive spell is on brand and funny.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Comment somewhat sus.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Long hair, no beard
    Long hair, beard
    Shaved head, long beard
    Medium hair, trimmed beard

Due to fluctuating weight, and distracting features, it just looks different. The first one looks like a subcontinental girl, the third looks african. I bought the ID at really reasonable rates.

18. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I mean, I look really different depending on whether or not I wear glasses. Especially because my glasses magnify my eyes. Plus the context of seeing Alan versus Green Lantern would make others unlikely to draw a connection.Might not work on someone with prosopagnosia though.

Poor Alan- hope he doesn't lose any good dreams.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing closing quote.

20. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

November 8th, 2012
    Just After Ten

It looks like there's only one exit, steep steps running up to a single door. The entrance to the corridor is wider than the doorway, so it could be held by a single man while the escapees surging for the exit would hem each other in. The door looks tough, and there's no guard on this side. The guard we have didn't have any keys on him, which only makes sense. Which means there's gotta be a guy on the other side. They wouldn't have a pass code; a place this size they're all going to know each other. Just a knock and a verbal confirmation through the slot set into the door.

The slot's shut right now, so no one's watching through it. But we'll make a noise heading up the steps. The sort of place where they don't make them watch through the slot the whole time, they're not going to assume that we're out right away, but if he hears steps and then nothing for more than a few seconds he's going to get curious.

Door's got the same padding around the edge that the cell door had, which means-. I was wrong a moment ago. The fellah on the other side probably won't hear until we get to the door and knock on it. And the signal probably isn't verbal, because he wouldn't be able to hear it clearly. So we could walk up there and knock…

"Sandman, what do you need for that teleport thing of yours to work?"

"I don't exactly know, Blue Lantern. I tried seeing you and I saw that room, but I don't know who these guys are or what the other side of that door looks like."

"Okay, but if someone opened that slot in the door, would that be enough?"

"I don't think so. All I'd see would be their eyes. I could gas them?"

I nod. "Then I could keep the hatch open while they fall over, you'd get a good look, teleport to the other side and open it up. Sounds like a plan. Let's go."

I don't exactly creep up the stairs, but I try and avoid making too much noise because there's no such thing as total sound insulation. No reaction from the other side… Good. Okay, we're here. There isn't really room to take either side, but Sandy stands with his back to the left wall and I take the right.

I raise my eyebrows, and he nods. I bang on the door twice with the hilt of the sword, then raise it slightly so that I can stick the hilt into the g-.

It swings away from us, a pair of eyes appearing-.

Sandy fires, a stream of dream dust blasting the unsuspecting thug in the face. He lets go of the door flap right away, but I get the sword handle into position and jam it open. I hear the 'thud' as the man staggers against the side wall, then Sandy pushes his face up against the hole in the door.

"Okay, I'm going to try-"

He closes his eyes, then sort of… Stutters, flickering in and out-.

He's gone, and peering through the slot myself I see him on the other side.

"-to." He looks around. "Got it."

"See the keys?"

"No, it's just a bar." He checks on the fellah on the floor, cuffs him, then comes up to the door. "Hold on."

There's a scraping sound, then he pulls the door open. Huh. I remember Paul saying that doors should always open towards an attacker, but I guess they just didn't have a way of securing it that way.

I pull the sword free from the slot and Sandy goes over to the guard and takes his. "Where now?"

I think Wesley would be pleased with how Sandy turned out. Ah, there it is. I raise my sword to a guard position.

"This way."

Okay, Al-Wujud didn't expect to meet me, so there probably aren't all that many people on duty right now. We've taken down two guards, there's probably another in reception and I didn't see a bodyguard with him when we were talking. I'm assuming that he has my ring on him, but if he's just got it locked in a box then I guess I'll just have to accept justice deferred.

The corridor goes a short way, a narrow barred window letting in just enough light to see by. Then it doubles back on itself, another door-. This one's just a regular door, blocking it off the rest of the shop. Opening it takes us out into a storage room whose walls are lines with shelves bearing more of those dream gourds. I get a momentary urge to smash them, but some of these might be legally owned. And it would make a noise and I don't wanna waste time.

Sandy stops and stares at them. If he's made some kinda deal with Morpheus then he might have some sort of authority over them, but we shouldn't stop here now. I gesture towards the door on the far side of the room, and after a moment's hesitation he follows me.

The next door takes us to what I'd guess is a break room. There's a table and a couple of benches, and none of it looks high quality. One door there opens onto a balcony, but the other leads towards-

"…exalted guest! You have my assurance that my latest dream is unlike anything even the Caliph has ever experienced!"

-the sound of voices.

"I hope that you are correct. His Excellency has been pensive of late."

Sword in the guard position, Sandy and I advance towards the sound of voices.

The first room is some sort of equipment room, maybe a workshop and storage area. None of this gear means anything to me. Then a short corridor-. I remember this room. This is where I first came in. No guard on the door. Sandy nods his head towards the door, and I shake my head.

"What could possibly be troubling him so?"

Another corridor, but it's far lighter at the far end. Some sort of courtyard, and I think I can hear a fountain.

"I don't know. There are some strange visitors in the city at the moment-."

I stride out, sword ready.

"Yeah." Al-Wujud and some other rich-looking guy are sitting on couches facing each other, two bodyguards a piece. "There are."

Al-Wujud blinks. "How did-?"

And there's my ring on his finger.

"You abducted me, stole my ring and stole my dreams. Kneel on the ground and put your hands behind your head."

Al-Wujud sneers. "Djinn of the ring!" He raises his right hand and points my ring at me. "Smite these-"

One guy -the other rich man's bodyguard I guess- grabs him and hauls him out of the way.

"-pagans!"

Nothing happens.

Why does he think-? Middle East, right.

I hold out my left hand. "I ain't dead yet, son."

My ring vanishes from his hand and appears on mine. Al-Wujud's bodyguards get between him and me, but they don’t look all that happy about things.

"Sandman, gas these-."

"Wait!"

The other rich guy pushes his bodyguard aside and takes a step towards me. Okay, see what he wants.

"Yeah?"

"I am Vizier Jafar, chief advisor to his Excellency the Caliph. You are alleging that Uns Al-Wujud has committed a crime against you?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Then by the authority vested in me, I will place them under arrest. Are you willing to come to the palace to give testimony?"

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That is an inauspicious name. Will Paul comment on it?

23. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

This fellow seems trustworthy!

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

As in understand the historical version was quite trustworthy, But this version may be influenced by the "Evil Vizir" trope.

25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I fixed the missing link.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Which reminds me, Aladdin is not only a historical character in DC, but he's still around.

Although it's apparently unclear if he's actually learned magic or if he's just given himself a five fingered discount to a bunch of shiny artifacts that he might as well be an actual sorcerer.

27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

towards an attacker, and only if you want to be vulnerable to attacks on the hinges.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Man, really feels like the dream of some frustrated DM sick of players overwhelming his 'You wake up in a cell' story hook. The alternative is that this place was used for some skeevy stuff back in the living world.

On the upside, even if the guy you sent to sleep was awake and crying out, they wouldn't hear him either. Of course, if they took their jobs seriously, they'd have sent two guys in anyway, just in case.

And if it turns out he can't control it, there's always turning into sand. Even if he doesn't enjoy it...

...And you'd be stuck until someone else walked up. At which point, I don't think they'd be amenable to opening the door...

Just watch where you swing that chopper, though. One errant strike and someone could lose an eye.

Yoo-hoo, anyone home? Justice calling.

Fingers crossed. I mean, have you heard of 'splinching' before? Probably not as dangerous to a man made of sand as a human, but...

Teleport successful! Man, I bet you're gonna miss that ability once you get back to the real world...

Given that their usual... Donors... would be weakened addicts or suitably battered into submission, I doubt they expected to need more.

More reliable than the gas gun, I suppose, and less likely to be damaged if it came to melee.

Heartwarming, isn't it? Nothing like getting dumped in the deep end to get someone into the swim of hero work...

Assuming he hasn't already sold it on to someone. I doubt he's all that patient.

And who knows what would happen to the contents? They might manifest and run riot, or pour into the nearest suitable container... Namely, you and Sanderson.

Looks like the boss keeps most of his profits for himself.. Going to be all the more satisfying when karma catches up with him...

Ah, there's the snake himself. And no doubt already counting his payment for Alan's dreams.

Sounds like the other fellow is a member of the Court. I wonder if he actually tells the Caliph where the dreams really come from?

Evidently they coshed him once he wasn't looking, then. Hooray for the local physics messing with the Environmental Shields, then. :rolleyes:

You have no idea, my man. And some of them are closer than you think.

Time to roll initiative, then? :p Though three-to-one odds... Not the best... Maybe an Intimidate check?

A trophy, no doubt. Wonder if he knows what he really has?

...Wow, boy, is he off. Though amusingly, Power Rings do sometimes get referred to as wishing rings in one or two Green Lantern-related stories...

At least that guy's good at his job.

Just like in the tale of Alladin. Oh, not the Disney one, no. In the original story, the thief's first genie is bound to a ring. The Lamp was the thing he was sent to steal, until he was double-crossed...

Aw, I was hoping it'd slide off his finger and sent him tumbling. Then again, dream logic. Also, nice touch, using his classic command phrase. :p

Heh. If these guys know anything of the modern world, then the name 'Sandman' might spook them some. Then again, there's no sign of tall, pale and gloomy here.

Preferably before you have to channel Douglas Fairbanks Jr...

Well, at least it's not Vizier Iznougoud. :D Who, amusingly, also served a Caliph Haroun...

Well, the day is saved by legitimate authority! Who was saved? Well, that depends on who you ask, I suspect, since that slimeball merchant was probably on the verge of soiling his trousers... On the other hand, I'm sure his crimes carry a somewhat hefty penalty. Might have been better off with Alan and Sanderson's treatment. At least they'll be back with OL and the Demon soon...

29. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

So... What you're saying is for them to make way for Amir Ali...?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"an attacker"