1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Technically, that would actually mean the fig was unripe, rather than any choices with the preparation. Figs produce digestive enzymes that break down the pollinating wasp for protein to help feed the tree and the ripening process.

ChestBurster, m_d, kerleth and 4 others like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In this case I think those tears will belong to Demon Constantine.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That is fucking hilarious.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not unless it's like Gandalf and he can come back stronger.

He's accepted that.

Then you'll love it.

And I'm kinda reminded of the Supernatural episode where Sam, Dean and Castiel were trapped in an episode of Scooby Doo and am kinda hoping the same happens to these guys.

5. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

"He wasn't there in any special way" seems like OL is speaking of himself in the third person. Is that intentional?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

The kind of line that can only make sense in a Dream context.

ChestBurster and w34v3r like this.
  7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm fond of this. It says a lot that a comic-book Earth is so crazy that someone of Dr. Mist's experience can find so many new things by joining a major superteam.

8. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Damn it John. This would have been the perfect time to betray them. You're getting rusty.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I think that's okay.
    Well...
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Ah. That was an edit thing. It was originally 'City of Allah', then I changed it and didn't change the following line.

10. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Is he pronouncing ‘am’ as ‘em’? I don’t remember seeing this before.
    ’em’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ’hev’

11. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I think Dr. Mist has been exposed to too much Paul.

12. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

That's...all of what is happening, every single chapter of this self-insert fanfiction.

ChestBurster, mastermenthe and Bud-E like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

I'm going to be putting the Doctor on a bus. It's the only way.

Deep breath.
    Nonono I'm changing it! Forget ah to eh consistency if it means that I don't have to constantly correct another word!
    Thank you, corrected.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But he's not in a Scooby Doo universe, so it's not happening.

Granted, he is in a universe that belongs to a continuitythat saw DC and Scooby Doo interact.
    Just stop doing it and write the sentences in a normal way.

There's nothing stopping the guy from getting better at English.

15. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Debating theology with a dream might not technically be work, but I very much doubt it is something Jade would enjoy.

Also isn’t organising mass social change what got your last ‘date’ declared work in the first place?

Vorian likes this.
  16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I think the idea is that they’d talk about theology and also just lark about the city. Jade might not like the theology, but I imagine she’d enjoy the larking.
    ‘supposed’
    I found this in the story-only thread. It’s from when the world gets split, and Paragon and Cornwall Boy are talking about Praexis demons. Don’t know if the error is just in story-only or in both versions.

Also, can anyone point me to Doctor Mist’s first appearance in the story? I want to trawl through his appearances. I might have to start using dark mode, though.

17. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Wasn't it around the time Paul was looking for a new sorcerer for the League? Sorry it's not an exact chapter, but it should help in the index. That would be around September 2011.

Agreed, I love Dr. Mist. It's great he experiences new things with the League and new magic with Paul. Honestly it might be part of why he's fine with going along with Paul's crazy schemes.

I do wonder how Paul would get him and Jade into the city given what it took to get there the first time. Still, it's fun that he's always looking for date ideas.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Here.

You will note that I didn't originally write his accent. Or perhaps he wasn't speaking English.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He actually was.

20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Thanks. Did he put less effort into his English as he got more accustomed to his new colleagues, or something?
    Edit: I just realised that he actually does have an accent in that chapter, but only when talking about how much he hates Constantine. Hahaha. Also, his accent is on ‘wherever’ and ‘stand’, which I don’t remember seeing mispronounced more recently, so I guess he hates Constantine so much that it really affected his speech that much.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  21. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Oh lord, imagine being told you have drive a runaway plane while blind, death and high as a kite.
    I feel just a little, itty bitty bit, bad for demon Constantine.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Where did I claim otherwise? I'm WELL aware of that. But the Seal of Solomon is a signet ring in the mysticism from our world. In Hellblazer, it's a magical diagram. With This Ring uses the Hellblazer version.

ChestBurster, Wetbananas and Vorian like this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

You gave yourself an out a long time ago -- originally you had said that his accent slips when he's not focusing. So all you have to say is that he's found a reason to put some thought into his diction.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Add another one to the pile of LePaul made up storied about the Silver City!

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You are proving otherwise right here. In real world mysticism the Seal of Solomon has been a reference to the symbol on the ring, a tradition that goes back over 500 years. As I specifically pointed out in the part of my message you didn't quote.

Kind of the entire point of everything I typed in that message.

Hellblazer rules in this matter= Centuries of real world occult lore.

By typing

You implied that the Hellblazer canon and real world mysticism disagreed on this point.

They do not.

Which is why I typed a message pointing out that they do not.

Which your response shows you did not know this, even after reading my message that points this out.

26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Take it in context of the message I was responding to. Vaermina was criticizing Zoat for calling the symbol the "Seal of Solomon" when the Seal was a signet ring, claiming that Zoat had not done his research. My response is that Hellblazer made it clear that the Seal of Solomon was a magical sealing diagram, and therefore Zoat's research was in fact appropriate for the setting -- the criticism was unfounded.

That said, I will concede that my second post unintentionally presented the contrast as a false dilemma through my phrasing. I could have been clearer.

27. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

I very much enjoyed reading this line. Zoat, is Balewa excited, apprehensive, laconic...? i would hope for "optimistic/child-like joy" but i don't know the character outside of this story.

Windona likes this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually in DC comics it was also a Ring.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Ring_of_Solomon

You might be thinking of the Circle of Solomon? Which was in Hellblazer as a blink and you'll miss it sort of thing.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  29. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Tower Offence

8th November 2012
    19:03 GMT +3

That's a… That's a big ole storm.

It's a lot more intimidating from this side.

"Doctor Mist. Before we, um. Jump. I've got a couple of clones of myself in storage in Bir Tawil."

He glances at me. "Should I inform the authorities?"

"Last time I died, I was able to transfer myself into a clone. I don't think I lost more than a few seconds of memory."

"You were in space?" I nod. "Yes, I see. Interesting. But thet will not work here, even if the Ophidian is feeling generous."

"Ah. Well. Worth asking."

"No, it wasn't."

"I just like to plan-."

He hands me a length of rope, which I wrap around my left forearm with a sigh. Then he hands another part of the rope to Sanderson.

"Sandman, are you prepared?"

Sanderson shimmers again, staring at the picture I provided of the Tower of Fate. I hadn't really thought about it, but the angle of some of the 'external' windows meant that I did actually see some parts of the exterior. So he's got that, the probable view when looking in from outside, and all of my best wishes.

"I… I think so. I think I can-. See where I'm going to be. But I-. I can't see us there."

"Thet is because we are not yet there. Rope."

"Ah-? Oh." He ties it around his right arm. "I guess I have to go right after Mister Constantine?"

"Yes, and drive him on. We are depending on you."

Dr. Balewa pats him on the right shoulder.

Sanderson gulps. "I sort of wanted to ease myself back into being a super hero."

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans. Constantine."

"I'm surrounded by dreams and one of them's me."

I take a very deep breath-.

"Hey." Alan puts his left hand on my right shoulder. "You okay?"

"I don't like losing control like this." I shake my head. "Okay enough. Let's go."

"Remember: let your bodies and minds flow with events. Go."

Constantine jump-lunges into the swirling pink mists, Sanderson a heartbeat behind him. Alan goes next, and I'm next go go go!

There are mists, and I'm standing on a tiny platform on the edge of a canyon, barely big enough for my feet. On a platform in front of me way too far away I can see The Demon and Sanderson and this is a bad time for my vertigo to come back but Dr. Balewa said keep moving! They leap, and, ah, ah, there's a route and a path and we've all eaten figs so leap!

Mist swirls and I'm running along the dividing barrier between two lanes of roaring traffic either of which could obliterate me! Don't think about your footing don't think about your footing run run run!

"Hey!"

I glance up and see Alan running along a motorway gantry sign.

"Okay so f-."

He leaps and vanishes.

Ah.

Keep going keep go-.

"Jump!"

Jump! Where t-?

Manhole!

Fuckfalling!

The road and the cars are gone, replaced with.. land far below, wispy clouds and my falling colleagues and I think I'm falling behind a little?

I aim myself downwards and fuck that was a flying platform. That was a platform, was I supposed to get onto-?

That was another one, but I'm still moving and they're moving ahead of me so I assume that I'm going in the right direction? But the aim is movement, the idea of movement, catching the dream-wisps of movement that still exist in the storm and in The Demon's mania. Falling and distance travelled don’t matter, this issue is that I'm-.

I'm seeing purple clouds intrude in the corners of my vision fuck where's the platform they're coming up too fast there leanleanlean!

Oof! Roll back on my feet platform falling to absorb impact run run leap!

Next platform there and I'm too far to the right ring?

Shit.

Ah… Angle body, air resistance. Helping but not enough. What are the others-? No time. It's a dream, try running on air. Like Wily Coyote. And it's working nearly well enough but I'm not quite I'm going to miss-.

Run along the rim, the edge, the side and the world shifts around me and down is sideways, the left side of my vision entirely enveloped by pink clouds. Am I getting further away, or is The Demon losing his grip?

Leap.

I grab a floating umbrella handle and then pull and release, flying through the air to grab onto the next one. In the corner of my eye I see the pink mist start eating the upper panels and pull and release!

I'm zooming down the side of a snow-covered mountain trail in a bath tub. Dr. Balewa's skiing on a dog a little way in front of me.

Ah, I think I-. I think I get it.

I shuffle to the back of the tub, seeing the pink mist just behind me, then dash forwards and leap, landing on the dog's tail.

"Going well so far?"

"Compared to what?"

We both crouch and then lunge, landing on a giant branch above a giant forest.

"Getting annihilated?"

"Yes, but we hev fallen behind Sandman and Constantine."

"Then we need to-" I jump grab a giant leaf and pull down to accelerate. "-go faster."

"It is not-" He copies my example. "-so simple, but I suppose thet it is a-"

Pink mist roils in from all direction, disintegrating the forest around us!

"-start."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow. It's been a long time that Paul seemed genuinely challenged by his surroundings and actually a little scared.

Also, this dream sounds like the worst kind of stress-dream, the ones were you never quite manage to be fast enough.