1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

All right. Now this is actually interesting.

EDIT: On a side note, like everyone else, I've been playing a lot of Elden Ring. How would a Orange Lantern Paul variant make that situation work?

2. mossconfig

mossconfig any "Gregor the Overlander" fans?

Man, turtledove really had it out for the Brits. No explosive metal bombs, no superbombs, and allying wirh the csa.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

That's the Worldwar series, innit? But I don't remember America and the rest becoming evil? Did you mix it with something else?

4. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Depending on how big Elden Ring's stars actually are? He doesn't. Rhadon, assuming a universe that operates like ours, was holding stars that were up to 16,000 light years away still while being eaten alive and driven insane by a virus. That doesn't get into things like Ancient Dragons being at least 4D entities who exist outside of standard time and all the other magical nonsense that goes on.

There are at least 5 Outer Gods doing who knows what in The Lands Between, and basically all of them are some level of asshole.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, they got superbombs, but they were only able to make two. One destroyed Hamburg and the second was shot down in transit.
    Southern Victory x Worldwar.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is this Future Paul, or another alternate version?

7. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I definitely want to see more Paul in high science fiction. I mean obviously something like the culture would be more slice of life, or I guess the culture trying to decide for his rings functions.

8. Mr Zoat

Alternate version. Note the lack of coloured speech marks.

9. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

And Rhadon was still put down by the MC Tarnished, so what's that point?

Personally for a power ring Paul, Ranni's Age of Stars ending speaks to me because it turns away from twisting back into centering around a new Order or the Erdtree. Plus offering Ranni a new power ring built body or somehow reaching Rennala through some kind of avarice desire adjustment maybe could be something.

Cool10007, Wheenesss, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  10. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

And if it's a alt, how does he recharge? I've never read Turtledove, but I doubt that these aliens had a Emotional Spectrum compatible technology lying about. Still possible, of course.

Btw, I've been living the recent chapters. Thanks again!

zeebza, JamesEye and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Assblaster5000

A Tarnished, who is all but totally immortal and depending on which reading of the lore you go with, is actively being helped by at least one of those aforementioned Outer Gods. Paul has a fancy ring, basically no way to charge it without a whole hell of a lot of research, and one life unless he gives himself over to someone like Godwyn or The Greater Will decides he's cool.

And the point is that a non-mainline comics level, beginner Lantern, would get absolutely stomped if they tried going after anything big because Elden Ring is a high fantasy setting operating off of Shounen JRPG mechanics which let you kill god.

12. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I vaguely remember that Timeline-191 actually has 'The Race' (and their planet is called Home...they're worse than Destiny Guardians about naming things) as native - it's just they were delayed in sending their invasion fleet, or some such.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Seconded. Can we at least get the cliff notes on what happened to this version of Paul for him to have the resources of an alien species he's already eradicated?

ChestBurster, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why is this called Black Arrow?

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Interesting. A pretty major sidestep from regular history. And one written by the more-or-less acknowledged master of alternate history fiction? Good taste. It'd be interesting to see if there are any superheroes developing in this world...

Maybe the people responsible went into different fields in this timeline? Nearly a century of variant history can make for some Mothra-sized butterflies.

Sounds like they all need a sensible kick in the pants.

So, hows this Paul charging his ring? Did a certain Lantern happen to be still sitting undiscovered in China, perhaps?

And if this world has no superheroes, this will seem more like a divine visitation than anything.

Bullets. How primitive.

Well, that's a fine escalation compared to the Battle of Britain.

Because different terminaology makes it feel like a different world. And to be fair, 'Tanks' are only called that because of a wartime security protocol.

And if they're smart, they can use the samples to make their own... Though getting fissile material might be tricky.
    EDIT: Okay, they already know how to build them. But the extra material can't hurt, can it?

Ooof, talk about dark moods. Something the real life man did suffer from...

Heh. Better living through chemistry. Presumably once he's got some in his system, we'd see some actual colour in that soul.

And I'm guessing you have ideas, Paul?

Also, nice flex on the actual Prime Minister. Just ignoring him in favour of, what I presume is, the leader of the opposition, if that?
    Edit: Ah, just a member, then. And not especially rude in his approach. Just blunt.

...So, going to haul them into the Space Age by the scruffs of their necks, whether they like it or not, eh? Bold. I like it!

At this point, you could ask one of the more handsome gents to give you a blowjob, and they'd do it... Mostly out of fear, but hey.

In other words: Show me you can do it yourself, and I'll give you a boost to the next step up.

...Nothing pleasant, I imagine.

Ooh, showing a bit of classic Orange Lantern mood there, Paul? Your planet. And given a Power Ring, you could make that true easily enough.

Oh, he's not asking you to start a war. Why worry about one patch of Earth when you can own the rest of the solar system?

And suddenly, I'm having images of Dan Dare flashing through my head.

Screw the rules, I have asteroids made of money!

Ah, see, there's a clever fellow. Go along and you could be remembered as the greatest PM ever.

Smart man. Whether he can be held to that, will be seen in time...

So, that was quite the change of tone. Admit it, wouldn't you want to do something like that if you had a Power Ring and a shithole of a planet to deal with? Seriously, this would be an interesting alternate to follow later. Would the British government keep to their agreement, which I doubt they'd refuse, down the line someday? How would the rest of the planet take to learning that a spaceman gave Britain the stars? What happens when the Race send their next wave? So many questions...

He looks like I'm going too fast for him, which is entirely deliberate.
    Strategic partnerships with evildoers are useful in the short term...

Good chance that this timeline still has some DC chunks floating around, maybe, and that this Orange Lantern had the idea to go looking for a Maltusian power source on Earth?

:eek:...You've been sprinting through an imaginary dreamworld that wants to eat you too? What kind of life are you living? :p

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  16. Assblaster5000

Oi, listen. We let the guns do the thinking. Our job is just to kill gods and steal their stuff.

BR549 and Relyt33 like this.
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

What should we call this Paul? Does anyone have any good ideas?

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I was definitely not expecting this. Uh.

"too"

Prince Charon and Assblaster5000 like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean, they are bombs and their explosive output is very super, so it fits.

Though it's not totally impossible.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait, which planet did the race invade that belonged to Paul?

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's talking about an attempt to invade this Earth.

True, it's not his exact Earth, but it's an Earth and he views it as his.

22. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

It's the name of the British rocket responsible for the UK's first, last, and only successful orbital satellite launch, apparently.

23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

A jet engine is basically a turbocharger without the cylinders.

Did he give Churchill antidepressants?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Who are you, who do not know your history?.
    Yes.
    Something like that.
    They already know how to do that.
    No. In the war, Britain had a unity government with members of all parties taking part. Talking to the head of the Opposition would just mean talking to a Minister. And in any case the new Prime Minister is a Conservative.
    Probably more Ministry of Space.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I don't know. People's mental abilities usually decline as they get older and of course some people are born into positions of power, but actually getting there? I think it is.
    Earth.
    Technically, yes. Just psycociblin based rather than the more common in modern days stuff.

25. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Bad take imo.

Radahn was not only weakened to an incredible extent by the Scarlet Rot, an eldritch disease backed by the Outer God of Rot itself, delivered by Malena who was and is an Emperyan that had eaten away at his sanity over the course of a shit ton of time, but he was simultaneously throughout the battle still managing to hold back the very stars themselves while sniping you from across the map with super, siege weapon style javelins for arrows. And shattering the ground with the strikes from his sword. And so on and so on.

The Tarnished did not beat Radahn. They beat a broken, withered out husk who still had enough raw power to halt the very flow of fate and maintain his grasp over the stars through his still instinctively held mastery of sorcery. Who still kicked the shit out of most players and had a mass summoning mechanic behind it to even out the fight before he was nerfed.

And if taken anywhere near seriously, like all Fromsoft games, if you actually think about and mechanically measure the feats of the characters within, they are even more impressive. The Starscourge was considered the mightiest of the Demigods for a reason, and that includes even when factoring in the Emperyans a la Malena and Miquella.

26. Mr Zoat

I have never played any Fromsoft game and am unlikely to ever do so.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I think you’re underestimating the Tarnished’s ability to defeat full-power Radahn. He was the strongest demigod, but he wasn’t enormously stronger than Malenia, and the Tarnished beats her fair and square.

For a minute I thought we were going to see the first Paul to end up in a totally mundane universe, but then there were aliens.

I almost always greatly enjoy these snippets of other Pauls, but I imagine that’s in large part because they only show the most interesting parts.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  28. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

If you look back at the cinematic and the fight, he actually was. Malenia only managed to survive by removing the Unalloyed Needle from her chest and embracing the powers of the Scarlet Rot.

It is a part of the abandoning her pride thing that was tied to the Millicent quest line, and how the Waterfowl Dance and the like was meant to symbolize her personal ability, and abandoning it to take on the power of the Scarlet Rot is something she only did twice. One in the Radahn fight, and the second with the Tarnished.

And remember, even Malenia was fighting you only after spending an immense amount of time asleep and recovering from her battle with Radahn. To the extent she missed Miquella's kidnapping and, you know, forced marriage plans of Mogh.

That's the thing about Fromsoft games. It is a very rare thing when you fight a boss who actually does have their full power or is the ur example of when they were the strongest.

But in retrospect, this is pretty off topic. My apologies to the OP/Author.

29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

But not *this* earth?

30. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Sadly not the most cursed timeline of alt-history I have seen, but still pretty cursed.

Guessing Paul is desperate to get this all set up before his Ring runs dry. If there are no mystical or super elements in the setting he isn’t getting a recharge.