1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

How does this alternate handle ring charge? And since when has he been around?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  2. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

If this is a Turtledove crossover, I have to wonder whether there are more of his settings to this than the two implied by the first snip.
    Possible that his magic WW1 setting is on a different nearby alien world?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Probably not, as those are the two I've read.

4. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Now I want to read Southern Victory, though I'm generally meh on 'What if CSA or the Nazis won?'

Certainly an interesting view. I wonder if Paul will cause the CSA to undergo de-Confederatization (or whatever the equivalent term for denazification is). And Britain certainly is getting a boost, but I wonder if it's just their allies that suck.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

British influence is canonically why the Confederates don't have slavery before the first War. At the moment, the CSA has officially stopped existing and has been annexed by the United States. That's going about as well as you might expect.

6. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

7. Mr Zoat

They lost that in their version of World War 1. There have been Protestant uprisings in the north ever since.

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean that'd be going pretty good if our president doesn't get assassinated and replaced by a traitorous VP undoing all his work.

ChestBurster likes this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm American the joke is our educational system.

10. Mr Zoat

You mean 'the joke is our education system up to twenty years ago, after which I couldn't possibly comment'.
    Not really. Unlike real life, the CSA existed for several generations. Unlike real life, there weren't southerners fighting on both sides when the CSA collapsed.

11. Nugar

Nugar Not too sore, are you?

Zoat, you've made a mistake. I want to read this offshoot more than paragon or renegade.

ChestBurster, I_S, nobodez and 4 others like this.
  12. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Remember the orange ring can technically absorb any energy to recharge. Electricity is very inefficient, but he could hook into the power grid.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    19:21 GMT +3..?

I don't look around. "Doctor Balewa?"

"Yes?"

From the echo it doesn't sound like he did either.

"How fast does time pass in the Dream, relative to the material universe?"

"Usually, it passes at a slightly reduced rate. Though this particular situation has not occurred before, to my knowledge."

I cautiously shift my hands, carefully testing the strength of the Tower of Fate's exterior crenellations as I shuffle along.

"So we'll get back a little after we left?"

"Perhaps? Is it important?"

"Oh, just making conversation. I missed a global invasion last time something like this happened."

"What I wanna-" The Demon Constantine grunts as he reaches around a prominence. "-know, is how the hell Sandman did that. And why he didn’t fuckin' do it earlier."

"I didn't want to give up my mask." Down the line, I hear Sanderson sigh. "Back in my day, superheroes all wore masks to protect their secret identities."

"Did it work when they were dead?"

"Yes." I look around to see Alan nodding. "Look at public records for any of the superheroes who were active back then. The only ones who got unmasked were the ones who chose to."

"And Albert Pratt, who was rumbled by the FBI."

"Okay, with a few exceptions, and maybe people didn't look as hard as they could. But the point still stands. Masks work."

"I'm a demon. It doesn't matter what you stick on your face, I can tell who you are by how your soul tastes. What was that glitter stuff?"

"Ah, well, I told you that Morpheus gave me the power to have visions. What I didn't tell you was that he gave me that power by blowing his dream sand over me. My mask is a gas mask; some of the sand got caught in the filter, and in the folds of my coat."

"In your coat." I can hear The Demon's consternation. "Wouldn't have been much."

"No, ah, the coat was more of a desperation move. To be honest, I'm a little surprised the mask worked as well."

"Or maybe it didn't."

"I sure hope it did. I don't want to spend my last few minutes climbing around a magic tower."

"No, I mean, Morpheus might have decided to give you a hand. Us a hand."

"Why would he do that? I didn't think helping people was something he did."

"It's not, but he faithfully upholds bargains and repays obligations. He might have decided that since he wasn't sure what if anything he owed you and Sandman One he should err on the side of generosity. You could ask him if you see him again."

"Or maybe I shouldn't. He might get uncomfortable if I draw attention to it. And I'll pay him back if he ever asks."

I pull myself up onto the top of a stone grotesque and finally! A balcony! And a way inside. The glass door is clearly locked and probably warded, but we've finally arrived!

"Nearly there, gentlemen. Constantine, you're up."

"Remind me what I'm getting out of this?"

But he follows me anyway, if only for the lack of anywhere else to go.

"A slightly nicer cell, and an official recommendation that they don't throw you into a dream storm as a method of execution because we've now got a way to do that to demons."

"Satanus getting the heave ho?"

"If I've got anything to say about it."

I work my way closer to the balcony, which appears to be a large ritual space rather than a small viewing platform. We've had to crawl around the outside of the tower about seven times to get here as a result of the non-Euclidian geometry and I'm glad that it's nearly over. Just have to have The Demon defuse any traps and then we're home.

Or rather, then we're invading the home of a hostile wizard. But it's a hostile wizard who would have to work at erasing us from existence, rather than sitting back and letting it happen by default.

Okay, handhold, climb up a bit…

I look down at The Demon. "Got enough room?"

He considers for a moment. "If I say 'no', will you jump off?"

"No."

"Then it's fine." He carefully manoeuvres beneath me, edging towards the balcony railings before stopping about a metre away. "Yeah, protective spell. It's supposed to report to the Tower's spirit if anything unusual happens. Order magic. And he's added a little something, but I can bypass that."

"Are you certain?"

"I wasn't absorbing parts of John just for fun. There are only so many things he can do with the place that don't use Order magic, because it's so bound up in the place, and I know how we all think."

There's a weak smell of burning pine needles, and The Demon nods in satisfaction.

"Done. After you, mate."

"Do I look stupid?"

"No, no. Lots of people make giant cakes." He reaches out and takes a firm grip on the railing before clambering over. "I'm in as much danger as you are, here. I'm not taking risks with my safety."

Fair enough, I suppose. I traverse along the wall until I'm above the balcony and then drop lightly down with my kinetic belt. I glance inside the Tower through the window but fortunately it's empty. Looks like it was part of the same ritual space as the balcony, the whole thing making a round platform bisected by the glass.

I don't think I've ever been there before.

Ring, check spell eater.

Temperature normal.

Thank you.

"It's clear. Everyone on board."

Sanderson comes over next, using his partially transformed sand form to hold onto the wall and move easily. I metaphorically hold my breath because he's magical enough that he might set off the alarm just by being here. I make eye contact with The Demon, but he just shakes his head.

Alan comes next, with Dr. Balewa bringing up the rear. Not waiting for them, the Demon ambles over to the window.

"Used. Recently."

I shrug. "It's his tower. Can you get us-" The door opens. "-in?"

"No." He walks through with his hands in his pockets. "We're completely stuck."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  14. Ardy

So that's where John put his sarcasm.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I like demon!John, I hope he can be reformed

16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘supposed’
    ’thing’s’, I think.

17. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Nah it developed naturally just due to the conceptual link of them having the same name

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given they're likely clinging to the outside of the tower, facing either an endless fall or a dunk in the dream storm if they fall off, that can be excused. Evidently they've been doing so a while, given the timestamp. Their fingers must be getting sore.

Great. Once again, there's a small chance all hell has broken loose on Earth while they've been rattling around here...

Better than turning up before you left. That stuff always makes for a paperwork nightmare. Or you get the Ork Warlord who killed his own past self so he could have a second copy of his favourite gun.

To be fair, people mostly handled it okay, barring the casualties.

At least some of them had the sense to skip the tiny domino masks. One favourite is 'Ma' Hunkel's saucepan helmet..

Then again, Superman pulls it off with glasses, messy hair and bad posture.

Probably because people played nice by pretending not to recognise them... And I'm reminded of that one screwy batman story where Alfred was the Joker...

Lucky for you... Or maybe not. Morpheus has shown he can plan well ahead.

Well, it is a superhero thing to survive a deathtrap by the skin of your teeth. :p Or the shirt on your back...

That would be kind of depressing. Show some spirit, kid, you'll get out of this fine.

Admittedly, a lot of the time, his help can make things worse before it gets better.

He won't ask. In general, his obligation to you is done. He might prevail upon you in future for something, but that'll be a separate deal...

What's a grotesque, you ask? In this context, probably something akin to a gargoyle, minus the downspout in the mouth...

Probably sick of kissing the bricks.

Gee, couldn't happen to a nastier fellow. :rolleyes:

And this is all still working on the assumption that there's something hinky about John Quinn, and the Demon's word that OG John is in there...

You could lend him a hand, you know. Sure, he might bite it out of frustration, but at least you offered.

Find, be that way, sour-puss.

I would be amused if it were as simple as a repusion spell. :p The magical equivalent of a plate with a spring underneath that aims outwards.

Ah, jeez. :oops: Warn a guy before you cut the cheese, Demon...

Is that a trick question? :D

Just be glad the belt worked like it should. Physics is still probably a little miffed about this place's existence and it might well get huffy.

Well, no double-cross yet. But don't assume the scorpion won't sting sooner or later.

For which their fingers thank you.

Well, safe spot found. Time for a break to massage aching calves? :D

There's always a way in, even if you need to take the sledgehammer approach...

Well, everyone's finally on reasonably solid ground. Now, if the mages can do their job, all that running won't be a complete waste. It'd be a poor heist if a locked balcony door brought it to a screeching halt. Never mind the challenge of getting out of here from this spot. Let's just hope Quinn isn't home and looking at the window. That would be all kinds of awkward...

20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I vaguely recall that, but I'm blanking on what he was doing exactly that had him out of the way while the invasion was going on.

ChestBurster and kerleth like this.
  21. Ardy

He was investigating the place Klarion came from to get info on the Sheeda... and the Sheeda invaded while he was doing that due to a few days in Witch World being months on Earth-16.

Then he came back and got confused for Jordan 10/10 comedy gold.

22. Ardy

I was rereading and apparently Mammon knew Welsh-John was a Constantine all along. Unless he was just being euphemistic.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean...

Fair point.

Though you are a Constantine, so potentially doing something out of spite is well within your wheelhouse.

24. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

That could have been a crack comparing the new “Fate” to the old Fate. I couldn’t guess on why new John would be as interesting as Nabu though if this investigation turns into a dead end.

I wonder if Mr Zoat pulled this clone storyline out of a desire to do the “Find the original Roy Harper” storyline better/in a more interesting way.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't underestimate how small things can make a big difference.

Plus aside from the glasses, the sheer absurdity of his civilian identity can play an important role.

Who would think that one of the most powerful beings in the universe works as a reporter?

He's not a Constantine in that regard, but yeah.

Yeah, their info isn't the best.

It wouldn't surprise me if the OG John actually chose to let himself be imprisoned to prevent himself from screwing up.

26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I don't really remember what Satanus actually did that Paul is apparently rather enthusiastic about seeing him executed.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He almost turned Paul into a demon and allowed villains to have unfettered teleportation to anywhere on Earth via Hell. Though it may just be because Paul sees that Satanus is a powerful and irredeemable villain and really wants to get rid of him as it would make the world a better place, something that he wants.

28. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Quick question: are we talking Original Satanus or Fake Satanus?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Real Satanus. Fake Satanus, aka Mammon when he was still pretending to be Satanus, has a good working relationship with Paul.

30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Does anyone feel that the moment they finally release John, something will go wrong? Like they find out Quinn locked him up for a good reason like he can't control the Chaos magic or he's becoming unhinged.