1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Is Quinn/Dr. Fate obligated to report to the League every bit of minutia about his job? Heck, how many in the League would even understand?

I always saw Nabu, while being on the League, never being subordinate to it, and from what we saw in Young Justice has a cavalcade of responsibilities and duties outside of the League that he attends to without their knowledge, permission, or even awareness.

Plus remember, in DC, things like Anti-Life are straight up able to fuck you up if you know about them. Certain kinds of magic can twist, alter, and even kill individuals who learn of it if the person in question doesn't have the skill, experience, or power to deal with them.

To use the CDC example again, most people have no idea what goes on in their halls. Transports involving samples are always top secret too, and there is the highest degree of focus on only those who need to know needing to know.

When you add magical, memetic, mind and soul enslaving or killing bullshit like DC magic has, the kind Dr. Fate deals with, the practice doesn't seem to be too strange to consider a possibility to me.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

According to Faust Quinn is the one who infected him with Anti-Life and who has been controlling him for so long.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  3. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

The same Felix Faust renowned for being a liar and manipulator, who has pre-existing animus against Quinn/Fate for his imprisonment after all of the child-killing, magical bullshit that Faust has pulled in the past?

One who has every reason to get possible allies to doubt one another and has already tried to escape several time?

I do question the immediate wisdom in taking someone like that at their word, or their viewpoint as automatically truth.

Windona, Vaermina and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Anti-Life is literally pure evil. An evil the JL has fought before and wants nowhere on Earth. While Quinn definitely is under no obligation to tell the JL everything he's doing messing with Anti-Life is something they would want to know because of the potential world-ending disaster he could cause if there's an outbreak. Also aside from experimenting with Anti-Life, he's also in communication with The Light who is the JL sworn enemy soooo yeah.

According to Paul, who was looking into his soul at the time, he was telling the truth which means I'll take his statement as truth until otherwise shown to be false

BookZone, Ardy, Prince Charon and 4 others like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's either that or Zard has serious ranks in Bluff. And given his stage-friendly costume and style, I would not be surprised in the slightest. Or the Lama was somehow the most evil one who ever lived... Given the DC Universe, that's also a distinct possibility.

Let's not blab about that sort of thing where unfriendly ears can still hear you.

No touchy, please. Adults are talking.

Well, that was handily cleaned up. Joy of epic-level wizardy when they're not being harassed.

You just know that with a name like 'William Asmodeus Zard', he was either going to be a supervillain or one heck of a vaudeville star. Some things, you just don't go against.

Accurate. :rolleyes: Sadly, sadly accurate. And old age isn't always a guarantee that they won't.

Feel a bit better now? I can't imagine that wasn't a good bit of stress relief on some level.

And yes, there are a few rock-related villians.

Ah, good, even Alan's catching on that a Constantine you don't know the location of is a dangerous Constantine...

Oh, gee. It's like a perfect opportunity for one of you to go off by himself. :p

How predictable. Now, natural or unnatural, I wonder?

...Someone who doesn't go leaping tall buildings in a single bound, now that you think about it. His hero name still starts with an 'S', though. :p

Fellah's getting properly back in the swing of things, heroing-wise. Good to see.

Might well be the first time he's gone earth-diving voluntarily, hasn't it?

Looking for a new type of ammunition for your railguns, OL? Could be handy, even if it's not as low-lethality as you might like.

Turnabout is fair play, eh? Giving Thorn a taste of his own tomfoolery.

Hardly subtle, but if Thorn is looking at that, he's not as likely to notice Sandy poking his head in, is he?

I mean, Orange isn't the nicest chromatic complement to Green, so that might be a small part of her discomfort... ;)

After all, it's not like the plants have any preference for which way they grow, only that they do.

Just two little problems with that, OL. Where will he respawn, and will he still be Anti-life Mind-whammed?

Ha, OL actually seeing someone else's point and accepting it? Rare moment indeed.

Maybe clap him in irons. The old-fashioned kind. With a good, strong hobble. It's that or literally tie him into a pretzel.

Let's hope this place doesn't have it's own Parliament of the Green, and especially its own Avatar. Last thing you want is Swamp Thing's local counterpart coming to see what the fuck that feeling is.

Ah, high-level Orange Light Mastery is so broken, isn't it? :rolleyes:

But you can't deny how effective it can be. Like having a druid on your side. A D&D 3.5e Druid, with plenty of splatbooks and a Munchkin at the helm. :D

Murphy: "Hmm? Did someone call? Lemme just ruin your day, my man." :sneaky:

Boy, and people call me out for taunting Murphy? :V OL, when things go ploin-shaped again, it'll be your own damn fault! Even with a Blue lantern on your side, there's not enough Hope around to make things go well. As for Quinn, well... I can't help but feel someone's taking advantage of someone somewhere here. It's not the first time we've seen someone with a knack for employing Anti-Life involved in this story...

6. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Doesn't really matter if the Justice League doesn't want it near Earth. Because it keeps making its way there anyways.

Isn't it better to know how to fight it and to develop methods to resist it than to be continuously rendered helpless any time Anti-Life or magics related to it inevitably rise back up and pose that threat to humanity anyways? Darkseid isn't going anywhere. Doctor Impossible has also made an appearance too. And so on and so forth.

Moreover, even knowing too much about Anti-Life is straight up a mimetic hazard in canon, and has shown arguably similar properties here. Plus too many people knowing that information increases the chance of it leaking and it drawing the wrong kind of attention too.

Also, the Team and Justice League had people in contact with the Light in canon. Undercover.

Just to play Devil's Advocate.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

But... He's not...

A White Ring would be dead as a doornail in his hands because he lacks the zest for life that's actually needed to make it work.

Says who?

Just because LePaul and Doctor Must don't know about it doesn't mean other members of the League don't.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably a lot of them since they've fought it before and have i for on it.

And I think he's obligated to tell them of such a big danger.

In this setting it only happens if a person hears the Equation.

Them knowing about the Anti-Life Equation doesn't affect them, only hearing it does and that's from a person that has it.

Yes, it is better.

But it would have been better if Quinn had help to understand it and fight.

Help from places or people like Atlantis, Mist etc.

All if these people have a lot of resources and experience that Quinn may lack.

No, it hasn't.

See above.

And that's most likely not the case here since two League members, Alan and Balewa, don't know about it.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

10. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

From yesterday:
    ‘that’

11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

not long -> no longer ?

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Oh, Tibet was fairly scary pre-Buddhism, and you can still find traces of that. Gods and spirits of all sorts.

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Zard is probably in his ninties, but I don't think he predates Buddhism.

15. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Probably not the kind of Lama that preaches the values of compassion and non-attachment.

For every spiritual teacher of Mysticism, there's bound to be one or more adepts in the Dark Arts, seeking to upend the dharmic order of all things for their own egocentric advancement, or for the thrill of it all.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

Regarding Quinn's involvement...

The trio got anti-life infected after being imprisoned by Fate.

This side dimension is linked to from the Tower of Fate

The stuff in here is NOT under control

The anti-life fragment seems particularly attuned to Order (serve me and have purpose)

At BEST Quinn lost containment on the prisoners and anti-life and didn't feel the need to tell anyone. And decided to imprison Constantine without telling anyone.

Like, sure, ask questions first, but yeah, this not good.

Vorian, Lord Ernest, Bud-E and 3 others like this.
  17. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

I agree that Quinn is likely up to something, but since the heroes snapped the brownies out of the mind control that was suppressing the anti life I can see why some readers feel like Paul and Co might be in the wrong here.

That said, they are in a farm for order aligned Anti-Life crystals, there is NO good reason for Quinn to have something like that. Either he has an evil plan, is being manipulated, or has an EXTREMELY ill thought out plan to use it for good.

Related to this- Since the consensus is that Quinn is the result of John doing what he did to create the Demon Constantine- IE separate parts of himself into a new entity like a lizard sheding its tail, in this case to deal with the Order and Chaos powers that were overwhelming him- We have to consider 1 what parts of John Quinn is made of 2 what other things were added to the mix (people forget but John got what was implied to be Alister Crowly who was hiding from hell to fuse with his offshoot as part of making him suitable to attract hell and potent enough that he would immedieately become a demon, avoiding being a tortured soul first) and 3 what Quinn might have done about 1 and 2.

Quinn could be pulling a Constantine type plan, but longer and more elaborate due to his differences from John Prime, but he might be lacking the spark that lets John swing his crazy ideas, or the instincts that keep him from tripping up and and let hims squeak out victories. Quinn could have been combined with something like Demon John was, to make him more Orderly than John prime, which could be the source of why he thinks fiddling with Anti-Life is reasonable. Quinn himself could be like Demon John but instead of wanting to be more Contantine he looked for other sources to add to himself... The worst possibility of there is that the crystals may have that purpose, being part of a plan to make himself more Order aligned.

Lots of possibilities, lots to worry about, which is why Paul and Co snuck into the tower like this, if it is something bad Quinn would hide or deny it, or move the plan forward if they confronted him, so the best bet was to investigate first.

18. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

For a Tibetan example that does not predate Buddhism, but conveniently ties into a song from WAY earlier in this story, look at Milarepa. Before turning to Buddhism, he was a sorcerer, who studied magic to get revenge, and ultimately killed his aunt and uncle's entire family. He repented, but this was all over a thousand years after the birth of Buddhism. If Milarepa, in his revenge-fueled youth, could learn lethally effective sorcery in Tibet, conceivably Zard could, too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Vorian, Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it's the last one then that proves that he's a Constantine.

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually it's "rash decisions". (I acknowledge the two words sound very similar in British English.)

Given that he's not talking about the planet Earth, probably lowercase "earth".

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh, Dr. Balewa might not be super passionate, but I still see him as being fit for a White Lantern. He has to balance all the emotions, and he's also big on letting people have their choices- and as an eagle said, freedom to soar is also freedom to plunge. He's become a League member because baddies are trying to force life in a certain direction instead of letting people live it. And we saw with the Earth 10 version that he would not be happy for mass killings.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  23. Threadmarks: Fall Over (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

July 27th, the Year of Our Lord 2282
    Early Morning

As the Vertical Bird rotates its wings and rises back into the air, Tears-In-The-Rain clutches her right hand onto her shawl to stop it blowing off her head. Rather than pay attention to the Ammonites or Canaanites raising a shout in the town of New Canaan she instead focuses her attention on the rear… Compartment? Where Warband Leader Goris is waving farewell.

Chief Krono bade her farewell in Denver City, since his business with the other Chiefs would require him to remain there for more time. This was the earliest they could guarantee her safety in returning her home, and if she strained her ears she could dimly hear the sound of the flying machines of the Shi tribe far over head. He did not want to take a risk because it was known that the Ouroboros tribe has their own flying machines; more primitive than what his tribe-alliance could command but easily capable of harming a Vertical Bird.

She stood there, ignoring the closer shouts now calling her name.

The great machine-demon named Argos stealing her away from her people had been terrifying. She can admit that. Stealing women to wife was not unknown amongst the White Legs. Sometimes, it even produced happy marriages, though she had long ago decided for herself that anyone trying to steal her had best hope that their manhood was proof against knives.

She did not think that Argos had a manhood. And if he did, it was probably proof against knives. Still, she would have tried.

A giant machine-demon stealing away women from many tribes sounded like something from a bawdy tale told by drunken virgin boys. A giant machine-demon stealing women for a smaller machine-demon with many bodies who thought that it was a matchmaker…

"Rain!"

Now, she turns away from the distant flying machine. Smiling, she extends her arms to catch her delighted sister Dancing-Upon-The-Graves-Of-Her-Foes as the girl threw herself into her arms.

"Did the metal monster take you to hell? Did you kill all the demons?"

"No." She has a better idea of what the metal creatures truly are now, though she does not think that she will ever think of them in that way. "It was just a big machine, not a demon. And where it took me, the people did not let me kill anyone."

The small but very powerful gun given to her by Krono weighs heavily in both her mind and satchel. Far more advanced than anything that New Canaan can make, comparable in her experience only to the strange demonically-named weapons of the steam-worshippers to the north.

She sets her adopted sister back on the ground, prompting her to grab Tears' left hand and pull her in the direction of New Canaan.

"C'mon! Father wants to know what happened to you right away!"

Yes… Her father. Who was a war leader of great power, about to hear from his eldest daughter about the people who stole her away from his house. The religion of the New Canaanites was something that he had not fully accepted into his soul as he had accepted it into his head. Tears was… Worried, about how he might react.

The lands around New Canaan was well farmed, with water running in irrigation channels from the rivers and the water towers which collected it during the rainy months. And its people were industrious and God…

She frowns. Was it 'God-loving' or 'God-fearing'? 'Loving' would seem to make more sense, but she's sure that she remembers hearing the other as well.

Hard at work, then. Hard at work even this early in the morning. Some of them she half-recognises, warriors of the White Legs who have beaten their spears into pruning hooks so they may learn a new way of life as Ammonites. Apparently, that was something that God liked. Probably because spears were poor weapons compared to guns but He did not want them to waste metal.

Inside the town it was much the same. Many people that she recognised, few that she knew. Her friends would be busy with their work or their children. Her mother would be learning the medicines of the Canaanites, and unless her father 'had need' of them then her mother's sister-wives would be elsewhere as well. Her father would be in the Great Hall or in the Canaanite Temple, but Dancing was leading her towards the hall. There would also be Daniel, the priest of New Canaan who stood outside of the city when the White Legs came and tried to persuade her father to stop his attack. Her father laughed, then threatened, then argued, and never once did Daniel raise his voice or his hands. He was a good and patient man and she had thought about marrying him, but…

That… Did not seem quite so appealing now.

"Father!"

Dancing ran ahead with no regard for propriety, pushing open doors as she searched for their father. Tears took a moment to order her thoughts, and a second moment to pray to God for guidance. What had happened to her was so outside the experience of any of the Ammonites, and while her father was patient even he had limits.

"Father, a flying machine brought Tears back!"

And so she walked towards her father.

As she approached the chamber used for the meetings of the leaders of the tribe, elders of the Ammonites and New Canaanites began leaving. Ammonites smiled and told her that it was good that she was back, and Canaanites made the sign of the cross and thanked God for her return. And when they saw that, the Ammonites crossed themselves as well. Learning to serve a new God would take more time, but none of them refused. That was a good sign.

And then her father, Balm-Upon-Wounds, his war helm on a shelf behind him to show that he had put war aside. And Daniel, smiling in joy at her return.

Father was not smiling.

"Tears-In-The-Rain, my daughter. So. You are a married woman."

She didn't understand. Why would he think-?

Daniel looks awkward. "They broadcast it. The… 'The Wasteland's Most Eligible Bachelor'. We've still got a few working televisions here, and a couple of them picked it up."

Tears' face goes red, and her hands rise to cover it.

Father is still not smiling.

"He is a chief, and it was pleasing to see you triumph over the other women the machine-matchmaker brought. He seemed strong of body. Is he with you? I would… Speak to him."

"No… We are not married."

"No?" Her father shifts in his seat, right hand making a fist where it lays on the table. "He did not marry you?" His eyes narrow. "Daughter, did he..?"

"No! He took-. He did not lay a hand on me. He said that it would be improper to marry me without first meeting you and my mother and seeking your blessing."

Her father breaths easily once more, his fist relaxing.

"And that the matchmaker-machine did not have permission to arrange a match anyway. It did so because it is mad, and does not know how to do anything else."

"They did not hurt you?"

The strange… Rope that the big machine used to steal her had left a mark for several days, but it had not hurt that badly.

"Be at ease, father. They did not hurt me. But… You remember the tale Gregor Grey-Skin told you when he joined our tribe, about the Master of all Super Mutants?" Her father nods. Bands of mutants joined the White Legs after their Master died, and the tales they told were almost all that the White Legs knew of the west. "A Super Mutant tribe to the far east tried to…" She is not stupid, but she had not had a great education. Krono used words, but… "Make an heir to it. They created a great monster, and Krono brought together many tribes to fight it."

"Were they large tribes?"

How can she explain it? The warbands of Colorado alone were more than what the White Legs and New Canaan had together at the height of the war, and were machines rather than normal men and women. When she saw the far larger force that joined them from the south, she could scarcely understand how there could be so many people in the world. And then they were joined by an even greater host from the east.

"Yes, father. Extremely large."

"They hold him in such regard?" She nods. "Is he their Chief-of-Chiefs?"

Tears shakes her head. "No. He said that he is their negotiator. Their peace-maker and their shaman. He rules only a tribe smaller than the Sorrows, but their allies respect his wisdom."

Her father nods slowly.

"Do you wish to marry him?"

Does she? He was clearly a good leader. The members of his tribe that she saw were well armed, and all treated him with respect. He was patient and calm with his followers. Even when they were stealing women for him, so maybe that was not always good. His face was nothing special, but his body was strong-.

She found herself blushing again.

"I see that you do. I think then that it is time that the Ammonites got to know our neighbour to the west."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  24. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

I am eager to learn what is up with the Anti-Life stuff, but the whole "Fallout robots made me the star of the bachelor" things is hilarious and I am happy to see what happened with that. Fallout has so many interesting niche communities that there is always something new to find in the setting, which is surprising for what is largely a wasteland due to the apocalypse.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"land around"

"man"

"picked"

"broadcasted it"

"his body"

26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

No lingering red, no yellow for her neighbors or abstract things, no green for her duties, no blue from seeing technology, no indigo for her fellow captives, and no violet for her family… I’m reminded of Jade. She has some inner strength. This Tears woman is mildly interesting.

And I guess that bit if orange confirms that Krono!Paul used some of his limited orange charge to upgrade his body like Paragon!Paul did.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh, a side-trip in the 'Fallout: Old World Blues' universe? And not a Krono-focused moment? What madness is this? Though that name... Ah, yes, one of the unlucky contestants in that dating program organised by the crazy robot Doki Doki... And going by the threadmark, this is after the whole thing played out...

Benefit of having one of the most advanced tech caches in the Wasteland of southeast America.

And thankfully, those whose manhood is proof against knives, like Super Mutants or Robots, aren't interested in stealing women.

And there's Doki Doki. Good to see most people in the Wasteland think it's crazy too.

Wow, there's a story behind that name, I bet. Probably a bloody and violent one.

Pity, it probably would have been great for stress relief.

Heh. A nice little bonus prize won in the contest, I see. Hopefully with plenty of spare charge packs.

I'm guessing if she puts it badly, 'roaring rampage of revenge' won't be nearly sufficient a term for his anger.

Yeah, folks seem to flip-flop on that. Usually it's 'whatever will get these people to play along'.

I'm guessing former members of Ceaser's Legion, or some such?

You've found someone far more interesting, I bet.

Oh, yes. Things seem different once you get a taste of the world beyond your borders, huh?

Yes, I suspect this will need to be very carefully worded...

Good to see all the folks getting along.

And when a First Nations fellow frowns, he puts his whole face into it, huh? I suspect a sharp rock would seem friendlier right now.

Oh, crap. They saw the show, didn't they? She is never going to live it down, is she? :p

Yep, you're a local celebrity now, girl. Enjoy.

Presumably while cleaning a shotgun or using a shovel for gestural emphasis, hmm? :D

"Was he a eunuch? Because if he was not, he will be when I am done..."

Well, guess he's happy that Krono is such an old-fashioned gentleman.

And if they did, he'd probably have all the People on the warpath by the next morning, hmm? Canaanite teachings bedamned, you do not hurt his little girl.

A roughly accurate summary of that plotline, which we sadly missed out on...

Yeah, you can be surprised by how large an army can get when everyone's joining in.

I mean, they probably offered, but Krono being a Paul...

A wise man does not seek to become a leader, for those who want power the most are usually the least suited to it.

Oh, my.[/takei]

Heh. Now that's a good father. Protective, but when his little girl wants something, or someone, he'll make sure she gets it, by gum!

Well, this was quite the surprise. Quite the swerve in tone and pacing from the end of last chapter, but I expect Alan will be drilling for a while to reach the bad guys, so it's not like we need to see that. And boy-howdy, is Krono going to be in for a surprise when he gets back from Ohio, huh? Let's hope we get to see that meeting, when the time comes.

28. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Damn... I kinda wish we got to see the game show.

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

He might have, but more importantly he turned himself into a perfected Super Mutant.
    ‘tale’

Always pleasant to see a bit of Fallout. These are some of my favourite offshoots, probably because I actually have some knowledge of Fallout, unlike most of the other settings.

30. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not usually.
    Surprisingly, no. She's an in-game character. Two wives of a warrior were fighting over who's daughter she was. They did the wisdom of Solomon thing, but Salt-Upon-Wounds decided that the callousness the actual mother showed to her sister-wife's pain after the death of her actual daughter meant that the actual mother was unfit, and adopted the girl himself.
    No. While in canon the White Legs allied to Caesar's Legion, in this they converted to Mormonism. They don't have much to do with the Legion.
    No, a Super Mutant is one of the things you can get when it goes wrong.
    Thank you, corrected.