1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘at’?
    ‘These’
    I liked that guy. I do hope that he’s around.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Anti-life in Dalek voice, "I HAVE BEEN CON-TA-MI-NA-TED!!!!"

And I can't find that scene on YouTube .
    ----

Hey side note, how is best snake doing in the orange power battery? We haven't heard from her for since then, even with Paul occasionally passing through her house, and in this case raiding her fridge for desire infusions to feed a really depressed vagrant . Is anyone talking with her there? Get a few more enlightened in the OL corps?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  4. Mr Zoat

Not as yet. While a few have considered themselves worthy, Ragnar is generally on hand to slap them down.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, you never know.:sneaky:

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This has kinda been confirmed in the story.

When Paul was investigating that tech god that was going to emerge, Vulcan or Heph told him that apparently the Titans destroyed the previous magical pillars of the world and took their place, so yeah, they kinda were holding up the thaumosphere.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The orange light of avarice is literally part of the Life Equation post flashpoint, all the emotional electromagnetic spectrum lights are. Kyle as the White Lantern was the guardian of the Life Equation.

While Zoat usually doesn't dip into that well, he has in the past.

And honestly in a fic about a lantern in which Darkseid is the Big Bad of the Renegade half, I'd say it's quite appropriate thematically.

8. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Ungrateful villains not appreciating how hard the heroes are working to save them from a fate worse than death.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's quite literally not.

Even with a tiny fragment the most Orange could theoretically do is slow down the corruption or maybe puke it up somewhere else.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

It's... Sort of more that they want to give him a different fate worse than death, after first pumping him for information.

11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

What, he hates prison that much?

12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

That's probably possible, but it's not what he did. The thought he put into the crystals, "Purposelessness → Desire → Purpose.", is more or less a translation into Anti-Life language of All Things Strive.

13. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Why wouldn’t a fragment of the Life Equation be able to overcome a fragment of the Anti-Life equation?
    Considering death only lasts a year for him? Yeah.

Windona, Vorian and Lord Ernest like this.
  14. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Is that only if he has a chunk of his current body left, or does he just resurrect from a cutting in another country if his whole body gets wiped out?

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because it's not.

Oh I know where Stsword got the idea from, but that was just the Wiki being wrong as Wiki's are won't to be since the actual book referenced doesn't say that.

16. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

That makes sense, I still think it’s a impulsive way of handling the situation but they’ve gone through a lot. By the way, I was actually trying to make a joke.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  17. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

For this fic, we saw that Balewa is able to counter it because he's so Life oriented. And it's not a huge leap, since Lantern lore has it where all seven colors combined equal white light of life. Life equation is, well. life equation. It's honestly not a leap to connect that to the White Entity. And if YJ canon has it where a motherbox without safeguards can cheat the life/anti life equation, then Zoat having it where a Lantern channeling part of an embodiment that's 1/7th of Life can go against someone who's channeling part of Anti-Life doesn't seem game breaker, especially since it's a piece of the equation that seems perfect to be countered by the Orange Light.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No we didn't?

We saw Balewa's immortality get shut down by it.

19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is a Vaermina response.

What we saw was Mist get stabbed in both soul and body, with his soul needing to heal before his flesh could get any benefit from his healing factor. He then proceeded to tell an Anti-Life fragment inside of someone to kindly fuck off because the adults are talking.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Um...

No?

21. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    11:59 GMT -5

Because-. How does he even know who I am?

Crystals continue exploding across the room, and the vines look more like vines rather than tendrils of eldritch evil.

"Green Lantern!"

Alan takes a moment to face Blackbriar Thorn. "Stand down, Blackbriar."

Thorn snarls, bringing his hands together in front of him, causing vines to leap from above and below, targetting Alan. Alan jinks and lashes out with construct blade which… Bites in and appears to get stuck, cutting through only slowly.

I frown as I try to remember what Thorn's motivation is. Supposedly, he got hit by a curse that a group of druids were using to try and kill Roman soldiers, but that doesn't explain why he took part in Roanoke Island rather than singling out Italy for retribution. Can't negotiate based on his objectives, he's already in line for the harshest punishment for mass murder.

"FATE!"

The chamber trembles as he does something with the vines threaded throughout the surrounding earth.

"FACE ME, COWARD!"

But if he's looking for revenge.

"We're not here to help Fate! We're here to stop him!"

The dome of plant matter that he's impaled into undulates and shifts in a mildly disturbing fashion. This time his lightning hits a heavy construct palisade, and I idly note that the brownies have stopped trying to attack.

"I WILL KILL FATE!"

"The thing that made you his slave is called the Anti-Life! We'll happily help you destroy it!"

"And YOU!"

Purple flowers I don't recognise sprout from nearby vines, rising towards me and releasing clouds of dangerous looking… Pollen? I generate a rotary fan construct and blow as much as I can away from me. Quick check, but I can't see any sign of The Demon Constantine.

"I'll kill YOU! Did you think I didn't recognise you?!"

He points his left hand at me, but nothing appears to happen. Okay, weed killer didn't work. Incendiary time. But I can be a little cleverer than Alan.

In the comics, Lonnie Machin managed to use Jade Scott's ring to change the universe's Planck Length over a small area in order to defeat a physics anomaly. I don't want to do that as I don't understand physics well enough to know what that would do, but I can alter the activation energy of particular chemical reactions in a similar way. Since I scanned the structure of the vines on the surface, a simple construct…

A wave of fire ripples through the vines, making them writhe in what isn't pain, just a result of the water in them vaporising and expanding, then breaching their skin and collapsing.

Not pain at all, and the screaming noise is escaping water vapour.

Thorn's pulling a face, but I don't know if he's getting some sort of feedback or that's just what he does when he's fighting. Alan fires energy pulses at him just as Thorn's vine pile undulates and rises.

"You have no conception of what this place is!"

I mean… True, but who cares?

The fires I'm generating are consuming all of the cavern except his core at this point, and the fumes and heat would be a problem if it wasn't for my environmental shield. I could open up with something a little heavier-.

"I'll crush ALL OF YOU!"

Does he sound a little orange-? I accidentally amplified his desire to destroy us, didn't I? Alright, I can fix that.

"What did you do with Constantine, Blackbriar?"

"Let me show you!"

Rock surges, enveloping his vine mound and torso, cracks appearing on the ceiling as the chamber loses structural integrity. I fire a couple of mage slayers at him, but the rock isn't enchanted so the rounds don't achieve very much.

"Blue Lantern, I think we need to evacuate!"

"What about Constantine?"

"I can't see him. Can you?"

"You're better at that than me." He scans anyway. "No."

"I can probably get it out of him."

The floor of the cavern cracks and crumbles as Thorn extracts more material and the ash of the roots that were embedded there crumble to dust.

"Alright, but-."

The rock pile in the middle of the cavern slumps, parts sliding free as the magic holding it together loses its grip.

It doesn't move.

Alan and I pause for a moment, weighing our options. Then we both generate pneumatic drill constructs and fly towards it, jamming the picks into pre-existing cracks. And after the first couple of strikes we both add construct earmuffs. Rock explodes away, the large mass being reduced swiftly now that it's not growing and its master isn't repairing it. As we get closer to the core we switch over to giant claws, draconic in my case and mechanical in Alan's, tearing at the looser rock and-.

Sanderson finishes pulling Blackbriar Thorn out of his anchorage and pushes him out, letting him fall to the-.

Alan catches him before he hits the ground and breaks his neck or something and forces us to wait until he gets reincarnated again. Of course, with no Anti-Life infection that wouldn't be a greater risk than there was before, but I think we're going to get permission to do something a little more permanent with him as well.

"Are you alright, Sandman?"

"Sure thing, Blue Lantern." He pulls himself out of the fallen colossus and lands on the broken ground. "I couldn't get through the vines, but the moment he pulled all that rock towards him it was real easy to sneak up on him."

"Good work." I give the chamber one last scan, but I don't find anything useful. I do however connect a filament to Thorn and drain out the excess of orange light because while he's not going to be easy to deal with I doubt that he'll be harder than he would be in orange crazy mode. Add a suppression collar and he's ready for interrogation. "We should get back to the surface."

I generate a platform and he gets on board, then the four of us fly back up through the hole Alan dug. Thorn stirs weakly, so Alan adds construct chains to my suppression chain, just in case. I don't think his physical strength has ever really been tested. We rise out of the hole and… Dr. Balewa is sitting across from a brownie with no arms, the stumps glowing as he regrows them.

"Good work, gentlemen. Urisk here has volunteered to explain what John Quinn has been doing with himself. I am sure that it will be an interesting tale."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the Roman civilization he knew was gone, so he may not have cared about revenge.

As for Rpanoke, either Klarion threatened him to help, offered him something, or Thorn was just an evil bastard that did it for fun.

Yeah, he remembers you.

You should, since this may be much bigger than you think.

That Eutanthe update with the Heaven Tree makes me think that Quinn was planning on using Thorn to spread Anti-Life with his plant magic.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, that's a lot of orange. Methinks his tie to the vines is having a detrimental effect on him now they're being flooded with Avarice. So now instead if being marinated in 'purpose=pointlessness', he's chock full of 'desire=purpose'. And what's his desire of the moment? Take a guess. :p

Oof, that's not great. The Avarice proving a bit sticky for the Hope?

I mean, knowing the Italians would suffer as much as everyone else might have done it. Or he was just intimidated by Klarion. On the other hand, I doubt he fears death much, even a legal execution.

Somehow, I don't think this hole in the ground is going to stand up to much of that.

Admittedly, you're not sure what he'd doing, but at first sight, it does look bad.

I suspect the brownies are getting a skull full of WANT right now, getting a good chunk of Anti-life burnt out by Purpose..

Ah. Looks like he's not too happy to see you again.

I mean, he might not know your name, depending on how up he was with current affairs before Roanoke, but he certainly knows your face.

Please, let's not tap into the Reach's arsenal of 'possible theological implications'-type super-weaponry... Especially if you aren't sure if the local laws of physics work the same way as Earth's.

...Ow. :confused: Best not tell Pammie or Euanthe about that little trick, they might be annoyed at you.

Then please, do tell us. You know you want to...

I doubt it's all that pleasant for the Brownies or Doctor Balewa, though. Hopefully they've retreated.

Gee, you only just realised? I mean, you've never really fought him, so for all you know, angry ranting and raving is his normal methodology...

No, no, no need to demonstrate...

Yeah, looks like this Load-bearing Boss is about to lose his final Hitpoint... And you know what happens after that...

Worrying. Especially so being that it's a Constantine in the wind.

...Honestly, I'm not surprised he's going for a suicide play. it's not like he'll stay dead for long.

...Okay, a little anti-climactic. No giant golem body, Thorny?

Just in case Constantine's under there somewhere, huh? And it's still not safe to let Blackbriar get away while he's still mind-whammied by both Anti-Life and Avarice.

Was wondering when he'd turn up. Guessing the vines made it a little hard to manoeuvre in there?

Thought so. And coming through with the last minute save, at that. They'll make a hero of you yet, Sandy.

Ah, right, the one OL disarmed earlier. Might want to apologise for that later, OL?

I see the Doctor hasn't been idle, either. Sounds like he's cleared the Anti-life out of the poor fellow...

Okay, one more mini-boss downed. Time for them to focus on tracking down the head honcho, and asking some pointed questions about what's been going on, where the original John Constantine is, and what the fuck John Quinn even is... And hopefully, this lucky little fellow is about to be the first step in that search.

24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘targeting’?
    ‘through’?
    ’in’

25. Mr Zoat

I prefer that spelling.
    Thank you, corrected.

26. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

You know, in retrospect, this does seem quite odd.

I'm surprised that OL hasn't shown any interest in furthering his own education regarding physics and more traditional fields of study, or even the more metaphysical, magical ones.

With his ring, he should have all manner of advantages in becoming a better student, and self improvement through furthering his education would categorically be a net win for him.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It would be hilarious if this is what fucks them over.

Don't forget LePaul's a goldfish.

That sort of self improvement requires effort he's just not capable of.

HatsAreHats likes this.
  28. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Ahaha, yup, there's the natural consequence of shoving Orange Light around. Increasing someone's desire isn't always a good thing.

Though Urisk's tale should be quite interesting.

He does with some things- note how he learned to do what Lantern Medyphyll does- but it would take a while to do everything and he has a lot of pressing matters.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Unless you did this intentionally, "Bachelor"

Colon or comma (or maybe a dash) instead of semicolon.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.