1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Just a guess but is the Void person controlling Quinn Anti-Life itself we've seen Anti-life be conscious in this story before with Renegade and the Tantalbus. Maybe something similar happened and now it's on earth fucking with Quinn.

3. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Okay, so I’m confused at what’s happening here.

Demon John is where OG John put all of the worst aspects of himself.

The Golden Boy is John’s brother from an alternate universe where the twin who died in the womb was switched around.

So what happened to original flavor Constantine? Also who is John Quinn? I thought they weren’t related to this. Wasn’t Constantine the one who got the Helmet of Fate?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Doesn't presently exist, due to having split himself into two people.
    One of those people.

5. boo600

boo600 Welp

Huh.

Looking at the WTR jumpchain, ‘the Golden Boy’ was predicted to be... well... the cause of John’s bad luck with having friends. It described him as a hostile Cegorach, basically. I’ve never read Hellblazer, unfortunately, so I’ve been assuming that that was plucked from DC Comics lore, and I vaguely remember the wiki supporting the interpretation of ‘the Golden Boy is an arsehole.’

Looking at the selflessness and Life-emotion in his words in the past update... I want to say that that’s not the case? But on the other hand, John Constantine is very easy to hate, so...

Could someone explain Hellblazer lore to me, briefly?

6. Mr Zoat

The Golden Boy appears twice, and I'm fairly sure the two parts were by different authors.

My depiction here is based on the original appearence, where he's perfectly happy for John to kill him in revenge for his attempt to kill John, something he did without actually knowing that John was a) an actual person and b) his brother. John said no because it wouldn't solve anything, and it's not clear what happened next.

The second appearence completely contradicts that, so I'm ignoring it. That's the 'responsible for everything' one.

7. Tackyseven

Tackyseven I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would pick this up again but Ii have no idea where I stopped last tie

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I looked up the issue in question.

John accuses Golden Boy of being the machiavellian schemer that made John's life shit.

Golden Boy however never admitted to it.

So either John was right and Golden Boy was a villain with good publicity that was trying to get control over John to turn reality into a Self Insert fanfic where he'd get to be a Mary Sue Overlord of the world....

Or John, being a paranoid asshole, pissed the world's chance at a golden age down the toilet when he refused the opportunity to merge with Golden Boy and become a better, healthier, happier individual whose legacy would be a better world.

Considering what I've read and heard of hellblazer, either interpretation is perfectly in tune with the edgelord cynicism of the series.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

If you list off a few things you remember, I'm sure someone can point you in approximately the right place.

10. Tackyseven

Tackyseven I trust you know where the happy button is?

all I remember is that it's pretty early in this thread but that's it, The phone or whatever it was giving super powers depending on what you dialed arc was done a while ago

lets see what did grayven do lately... hmmm yeah I have no idea haha

wait... he attacked heaven? he had at least made an religious ally an angel demon hybrid or something

also he fought in hell but that feels like it was in a previous thread, even if he went there multipe times...

this story is so big lol

11. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

Well, tvtropes have a recap page that may be helpful.

kerleth, Tackyseven and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

You stopped at Z-E-R-O and actually that was the episode that brought us here from SV

13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Orange Lantern may not be the friend Constantine wants, and may or may not be the friend he needs, but is almost certainly the friend he deserves.

EDIT TO ADD:
    Is Quinn not having any black quotes text indicative of Anti-life infection in error?

Pssh. A proper Brit would know there's a proper British term for this kind of not existing.
    Constantine is currently in abeyance.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Black quotes don't represent anti-life infection. Black text indicates one's thoughts being overwhelmed by anti-life (or other similarly depressing things). Colored quotes indicate a level of fundamental alignment with that color -- Hades, for example, speaks with black quotes.

15. boo600

boo600 Welp

Cool. So, fixing John’s life would be more about getting him therapy/convincing him to make better choices, instead of just killing a Final Boss.

Yeah, I can see the advantages to this interpretation. I can respect that.

Prince Charon and kerleth like this.
  16. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Fist.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    12:41 GMT -5

Mage slayers hum from my railguns, impacting-. A barrier of golden light with a red-burning border. The shield shimmers when hit-. No, tiny shields, each one collapsing and being reformed almost immediately.

"-appoin-"

Alan is shining blue light over the second-. The only Demon Constantine, the man's dozens of visible small injuries knitting back together. His eyes are open, but I'm not sure how much he's taking in.

"-ting."

I pull and push, restoring the link between Demon John and Original John's desires in the Honden with one thought and trying to drag Quinn's desires out of his soul.

A golden ripple passes over his body. I can sort of feel his desires, see their shape, they're still there, but some sort of spell is preventing me from touching them.

"John Quinn!"

The red light is extinguished like a blown-out candle, causing the shield to begin to diffuse into the air, smaller components spreading out. I focus fire immediately, but-.

A golden glow and the barrier-components lengthen, hexagon-ended octahedral barriers forming an overlapping protective barrier, each one with a tiny crimson flame inside it.

"Anti-Life! Explain!"

Sanderson takes charge of Demon John while Alan manoeuvres up and around, trying to flank Quinn.

"The universe and all its people disgust me."

Oh sugar, is he not infected? I mean, given that Belle Reve never reported The Demon Constantine missing I'd guess that he was switched over very quickly. It wasn't just 'these parts of John's character could be a problem, best be sure', it was something else?

"Why?! You are more-!"

Purple clouds bubble up from the Dream-discharge below us, enveloping Dr. Mist!

"Doc!"

Sanderson throws sand at the swelling pseudo storm, causing it to collapse back down and reveal an.. injured Dr. Balewa, clothes burned and skin slightly melted. Or not melted, but exposed to enough raw conceptual anarchy that it wore away at him in a similar fashion.

"Sandman, can you-"

Painfully aware that my reserves of mage slayer rounds are not unlimited, I switch them out for solid rounds and crumblers. Those-. Do nothing that I can see, which makes sense as an Order wizard of his level should be able to block physical force by altering the application of the relevant physical laws. Alright then, how about masers?

"-do something about-"

The first beam does actually get through, impacting on his blue and gold body armour and achieving nothing of note. The second beam hits a shield as the red flame inside flickers and gets effortlessly absorbed. I try firing a solid shot at another shield at the same time as a maser beam just in case this spell works on one type of attack at a time, but no such luck. That should be consuming more of his reserves, but I'm starting to feel that him solving the Order-Chaos dialectic might have made his spell casting super-efficient. In which case-

"-that?"

Never a fan of my technical precision, Alan adopts a brute force approach, hitting Quinn with a construct battering ram which merely causes a new shield to become visible, and then with a swarm of boxing gloves which hit every single shield he can see again and again and again in the hope that if he punches them enough then they have to go down eventually.

Quinn turns his head slightly in that direction and every single one evaporates in a waves of gold-red flame.

"I'll try!"

Sanderson shifts to sand form, appearing to absorb spare Dream sand as he travels 'down' from our position. Quinn points his free hand in that direction, but while the Order crystals so far enveloped by the miniature Dream storm strain and force it back a little all Sanderson needs to do to counter that is spread himself out a little. That should give him an override on what dreams occur there.

Dreams.

"Sandman, dream us up something-."

Quinn stares at me, and then a golden box forms next to me. I slam a construct drill into it, but it stays solid.

"He was right. Caging you-"

And the box is the universe, and like the Monkey King couldn't escape the lap of Buddha I find it surrounding me with no way out!

"-is simple."

I try to fly away, but unlike Faust Quinn knows what he's doing!

This is how genies feel, isn't it?

Right then. Mage slayer the boundary layer, and-.

Wait.

I look at myself and realise that I just left my body behind.

I'm snake-shaped again. I'm so close to being an arcane life form that a ghost trap can suck me out of my body regardless of my tattoos and ward. That's… A worry for another day.

The mage slayer I fired is still travelling through apparently infinite space. Access to the Honden… No. Radio? No.

Alright then. FEED ME! You think combining Order and Chaos is impressive?! I'll combine them IN MY BELLY!

The golden universe around me shudders, gold light precipitating out of empty space and flowing into me, though since I'm not an idiot I make sure to process it into orange light as it passes my snake lips. Just another Fate to DIGEST!

Flickers of red light all around me, the structure shimmering as I feed. I think I'm pulling enough power out of the structure that it's weakening. That's teach you not to lock up a genie with a tin opener!

The box
    collapses in front of me, and I get half a second of seeing my armour from the outside before I'm opening my eyes back in my own body. Alan's stuck me on a bio-bed construct to keep me out of the way, but I fly off at once and exhale at Quinn, a ray of manifested avarice flying from the front of my armour and slamming into his shield spell! They actually buckle, cracking and fracturing into tiny motes of energy!

A swirling red disk intercepts my shot before it can hit home, orange energy intermixing with-.

FEED ME!

Intermixing with the red and then absorbing it, expanding outward to envelop Quinn! He brings his sceptre to bear in a parrying motion, the head flaring gold as he strikes! The orange bomb holds for a moment, then shrivels and vanishes.

Then he points the sceptre at me.

"Oi!"

Demon John pulls himself up over the lip of a platform circling the upper part of the room.

"What was that about?"

"I seek the beautiful purity of Anti-Life, but I'm immune. I wanted to infect you so that when we merged we would still be a part of it."

And then I see Dr. Mist just behind him, the central shaft of the chamber coming apart under the effect of his magic as one of Demon John's eyes glows red while the other glows gold.

"Well that's just fucked up, mate."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  19. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Stuff is happening and I'm excited even though I have not idea what's going on!

20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

When Demon Constantine says your plan is fucked up...

It might just, perhaps, maybe, possibly, be fucked up.

21. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

Thank God that we don't have parallel John Constantine appearing. Enough with 1 dividing itself by mitosis

22. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Did... did Demon Constantine just figure out how to dual-wield order and chaos magic?

23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I think that's a sign that the merger worked- So he's Golden Demon Constantine now, and since Demon and Golden Boy were being used as proxies for chaos and order in that separation spell, that Golden Demon Constantine has access to both Order and Chaos.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Og shit, he can use Chaos.

"little, all Sanderson"

Maybe a man?

"Faust, Quinn"

"Buddha, I find"

Okay, you need to study and replicate that.

You've hit a new low when someone that's both a demon and a Constantine tells you you're messed up.

25. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

It's these one liners that make me miss the funny reaction so goddamn much. Understatement of the year, golden demon John.

boo600, Lord Ernest, Ardy and 10 others like this.
  26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Well, there goes the Quin is being controlled by Anti-Life theory.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's just rude, now. I see he's playing up the high intelligence Wizard trope to the hilt, with counters prepared for everything he knows OL can do. A pity OL hasn't shown off everything he has in his bag of tricks. Which should make for a nasty surprise.

Yeah, he's been mind-whammied hard. I'm guessing Quinn poured the whole bottle of Anti-Life Flava-Aid down his metaphysical throat...

Ooh, pulling a cut and paste on Quinn's desire network? Pity he expected that, and made sure you couldn't disable him that way...

Oh, boy, the Doctor is pissed. And he knows how to break Chaos-based defences, I see.

I see Quinn's gotten the hang of lightly mixing Order and Chaos, at least, so this won't be a complete waste of time for John.

One Wizard of Order and Chaos versus an angry Life-fuelled Wizard and two Lanterns? Not the best odds, but I get the feeling Quinn won't go down that easily.

For all we know, some lingering part of Nabu's thoughts are still lurking in the helmet, and that's what's driving him batty.

Oh, that's bad. I'm betting that's almost a weaponised form of the Dream Storm...

...Ow. :confused: Looks like it's just as effective as the wild version.

You've really got to learn how to make your own anti-magic rounds, OL. I suppose you'll manage it someday.

To quote Captain America: "I can do this all day." Not great when you're on the opposite side of that, though.

Problem is, that kind of thing burns a lot of charge quickly, no matter how hopeful you are. He can't keep that up, and the second he stops...

...Quinn's uber-hax will steamroll him into a wall... This is probably going to be a puzzle boss, not a stomp.

Morpheus' blessing may well prove vital to solving this riddle. How lucky...

Well, shit. Looks like he's pulled too much aggro. And now Quinn's focused on him.

Well, at least you're tasteful enough not to piss on one of the pillars, like Sun Wukong, Great Sage Equal to Heaven, did.

"Phenomenal Cosmic Power! ...Itty-bitty living space." Good thing OL's not as easy to pin down.

Right, something metaphysical is happening. Looks like Quinn went right past the meaty outer shell for the sweet orange-flavoured soul inside.

On the other hand, that's a good thing in some respects. At least it's harder to keep you dead.

Eating the cage from the inside out. That's a clever trick.

Just be careful. You might be able to swallow it, but too much rich food might still give you a gut-ache.

Nice, turning his own power back on him, with a little orange zest added in.

Oooh, do I see a weak point? I bet that sceptre's helping him hold things in balance.

Ah, good, he's up and about. Let's see what he can contribute.

...Huh. Wonder why he's immune. Because he's a broken wreck of half a Constantine? Or something to do with the Helmet, perhaps.

In more ways than one...

Well, Quinn is neck-deep in it now. I have the feeling this may be the tipping point that they needed to set him on the back foot. Hopefully, he sees how fucked he is and chooses to go down easy. But I get the feeling this will get much trippier before it's done. Because they've still got to re-merge before we get John-Classic back.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Anti-Life-Groupy!John reminds me of a Revisor from the Discworld.

All life is chaotic so absolute order means soul-death for everyone.

Dumbass.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe the fact that he's a Constantine means that he's so miserable deep down that not even Anti-Life can make him worse.

30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Maybe he split himself in a way that shoved all the bits vulnerable to anti life infection into the demon?