1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

If I remember Hal's thoughts from 'Green Lantern: Rebirth', it's because Guy can't wait to take action. His sheer drive and determination to do good makes the energy spark and crackle even at rest. If this Jordan has been as frustrated by Earth as it seems, I'm not surprised he's eager.

Ah, the posture of the old, confident warhorse who knows he doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. Much less the patsy of the alien Guardians, who's pretty much a traitor to Earth's sovereignty...

...Don't make a right? Trying to convince the wrong people of that, Jordan.

Ah, this will be interesting, to see his reaction to other Lanterns of unknown colours.

Of course, that may not be true around here. And I doubt the Guardians would confirm it if it was.

Well, the Maltusian-equivalent term. Translation convention and all that.

Bitch, he formed his Corps, he gets whatever title he wants.

...Not yet. But if they ever manage to convince Kalmin or certain Guardians to make more Blue Rings...

A rebel Weaponer. Technically.

Jordan's probably figuring Earth 16 is an evil-dominant universe, isn't he? He's the sort of fellow to have such a monochromatic view of things.

Well, we can assume Mars is dead, and any of the other inhabited planets and moons of the system can take care of themselves...

Bah, as if he'd be able to manage it. The Green Ring probably only allows for passengers at FTL when transporting prisoners or refugees...

Yes, well, your homeworld has seen some shit. Why are you not surprised that they're a little gunshy of extra-terrestrials?

To be fair, I'm amazed the Guardians haven't simply declared Earth a minimum-protection planet. No Lanterns allowed. Like Korugar after Sinestro.

What's the matter, other species not up for a booty call, fly-boy? :p

I know, it's a liberating concept, isn't it?

I hope they're not drinking anything when they see his report on this mission, at least. Though the details may make them want to start...

Better than locking them up billions of lightyears from home in 'Sciencells' for rehabilitation.

Sir Integra Wingates Fairbrook Hellsing: "Good lord, it's strange to see this from the outside..."

I mean, with a little adjustment, it may well work for a JLU-style support organisation.

And that's being nice about it.

Hmm... A chance to reform the Justice Society properly, perhaps?

I wonder what they call a 'disappearing while someone's not looking' in this universe. No Batman, after all.

Oh, boy, is Jordan going to be in for a lesson in ring-slinging. I did enjoy the simple way OL described his achievements, though. No boasting, no pridefulness, just facts. Though I suspect whatever Guardian ends up reading Jordan's report while have a momentary panic attack when he sees the names OL dropped. Now, the biggest question becomes what will OL and the other recon party members find when they arrive?

_The_Bomb, Vorian, BookZone and 19 others like this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, it's been long enough that I'm quoting this instead of editing it. The episode is called Coup Data, and the scene I was referring to is in this post and the one following.

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Why does the Green Lantern SOP undermine local authorities? I honestly don't get why Paul is so hostile to them.

I mean, they aren't talking about pocket thieves here, but frequently beings powerful enough to sterilise worlds.

5. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wanna read that comic.
    SOP bible? What's that?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, I think you are thinking of silver age, where Robby Reed has to fight the bodyswitched villains.

That panel was from Silver Age 80 page giant, in which the villains steal a kryptonian crystal, the central power battery, and the absorbascan, make themselves lanterns who know every tactic, power, and ability of the heroes, making them undefeatable until the JLA borrowed the hero dial and became new heroes with different powers and abilities and hence tactics.

Dr Light was the orange lantern in that group, by the by.

I imagine Paul was glad to not be compared to him.

What with Dr Light being a rapist who got himself brainfucked by the League so badly that he went on to lose to a couple of kids.

It wasn't a fair fight, one of the kids had a baseball bat and wasn't afraid to use it.

Standard Operating Procedure. In short he wants to go the League and say "Guys, here are some ideas that were shown to work in another universe."

And that panel was from Silver Age 80-page giant, as mentioned above.

7. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Standards and operating procedures. S-O-P.

Basically how the JSI organize things and day to day operations.

8. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Pfft, any real intellectual knows Paragon was referring to Best Girl.

9. Mr Zoat

In this story the Ophidian SI was pretty confident that it comes from Guy suppressing his desire for action and forcing himself to stop.
    While it's difficult to tell from the picture since Dr. Light wears white gloves and none of the hands shown in the lower image have white gloves, I think that the green ring on the left is supposed to he Dr. Light's.

10. gattsuru

gattsuru Making the rounds.

I think it's more that it undermines the Green Lantern's authority: there's nothing stopping a world's local authorities from freeing someone a Lantern has seen commit a severe crime, whether intentionally or in the Put Joker In Prison sense, as an example.

There's reasons to make that tradeoff, just as there's reasons that the Green Lanterns are supposed to focus on interplanetary concerns, but Paul's nature emphasizes control, even if he doesn't see the parallels with Hinon yet.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm assuming it's because the local authorities appear to rely on foreign aid in order to deal with their problems and that puts their strength and competence into question.

Paul did once mention something like this when he said that Green Lanterns could sometimes imprison people themselves instead of giving them to another authority since they think they could either be punished too severely or not punished all that much.

12. Stsword

Later panels definitely show that Element had a red ring, and Chronos and Light both had orange rings. I failed to notice that Chronos had an orange ring the first time I read it.

There was no villain shown to have a green ring other than Faust outside of that one panel, and they are all accounted for other than Black Manta's, who is definitely wielding a red or orange ring in that one panel.

So editing seemed to have fallen down on the job on that issue.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kalmin is actually pretty good at following what Weaponers do.

The rest of his society had a momentary slip up on that though.

To be fair, if you had had a conversation with Paul, wouldn't you think that there's something wonky going on in that universe?

Maybe they didn't do that with this universes version of Korugar.

Also the Korugar situation was them responding to their negligence in managing their own forces by giving the Korugarans more freedom from them, but this Earth did not suffer such a situation so the Guardians may not see it as necessary to do the same thing.

Not necessarily.

There don't seem to be any Orange Lanterns in thise universe, so the Guardians may not have much practical knowledge on the dangers of one of them, just academic ones because of their study of the Spectrum.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'that'.

How many people will even realize how impressive Greedporting is?

15. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I love the update! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this Hal Jordan. And any and all interactions between the SI and the Commander.
    Shouldn't that be "spun"?

16. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'Orange Lantern' may not ring the alarm bells.

But 'Hinon Hee Hannanan' very well might.

And 'Krona' will light off panic signals visible from the next galaxy over.

17. Mr Zoat

No, it's fine as it is.
    If a Guardian checks Jordan's scans, they will.
    That would be gramatically correct. However, 'span' is what the character said.

18. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Always good to see Paul put someone in their place. But poor Hal: getting a ring meant not being able to go home, it's like the Reach had expressed interest in Earth without the hope that the Reach could be kicked off.

...I mean. Canon Jade doesn't seem to have the highest success rate.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

This Earth seems to be fairly xenophobic, so they may deny the Reach an invitation.

Granted, the Reach has probably figured out ways to manipulate highly xenophobic societies, so they may be able to do the same with this Earth.

20. Stsword

The JSI also does propaganda work, so the Reach would face a media machine actively resisting them instead of the Light's anti-hero campaigning.

Not saying the Reach couldn't win such a battle, but they'd actually have to work for it on JSI earth.

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

They do, though. OL's trick is that he uses very thin construct lines to connect to the actual thing he's making. He's even observed that while this does help with making his tactics harder to see coming, it's more susceptible to construct disruption. This is usually the right choice for most opponents, though.

22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

But the construct lines don't need to be directly attached to his ring, do they? Or am I misremembering? I thought the subtle filaments just needed to be connected to his environmental shield? That's how he sends lines through the ground, generating the filaments from his feet and stuff.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Reformed/Reforming bad girls is his kink.

Jade, Luna, Blackfire, Cheshire and so on.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Two of those are the same person, and Luna came pre-reformed.

Vorian, ChestBurster, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Paul is the genderswapped version of the Good Girl that tries to fix the Bad Boy.

26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Wasn't Renegade also into Queen Bee?

Jaron likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't remember that.

I know he seemed to at least respect her capabilities as a ruler, even if he disagreed with her other choices.

He probably mentioned being attracted and wanting to romance her to mess with someone else.

It sounds like something he'd do.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He said she was attractive, but I don't think he actually said that he himself was attracted to her.

29. Stsword

There's a difference between finding someone attractive and actually liking or caring about them.

Considering Gravy's response to finding out she got herself killed by one of his security drones was basically "Anyway..." I'd say Gravy didn't actually like her at all, the charms of an evil Deanna Troi notwithstanding.

Vorian, ChestBurster, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  30. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Plus Paul and Grayven have done a lot to reform villains in general. While Paul is bi, I don't think he had a thing for Captain Cold, Abra Kadabra, or Dr. Sivana. Same with Grayven and Circe or Luthor.

My point was more as a comparison of both situations making it so a Green Lantern can't go home. JSI refuses to let Hal in, and any planet with the Reach means that planet's GL can't go home.

Even if xenophobic, there's still a point that the JSI would let the GLs in if they followed certain protocols. Protocols are something the Reach are very good at appearing to follow. In fact, no doubt they would be willing to gift a human who wants to join the JSI with a scarab, providing the JSI with a very capable warrior without the downsides of tearing off pieces of oneself to replace with machinery. As a sign of friendship, of course.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and Bud-E like this.