1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

They would if the JSI high command are the equivalent of the Light and the dominators consider them pseudo allies of a sort.

I mean who rules earth? Who evaded justice for their egregious human right violations? The timing of the dominators raid is extremely suspicious and the fact they left without sending the planet back to the pre industrial age is even more egregious and suspicious. If the Dominators left them for future research specimens, the meta gene doesn't need a post industrial space age society to exist, in fact sending earth back a few centuries is what the evil dominators should have done.

The JSI did win a lot from this exchange almost as if this is an example of the Light plans being successful.

Caerwen likes this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Reducing the human population means killing people with the metagene, reducing the numbers of children with the metagene in the succeeding generations, which reduces the chances of one of those hypothetical metahumans manifesting in a new and interesting way.

Culling humanity would have been counterproductive to their goals, which is to study the metagene and all its infinite possibilities.

3. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Now culling humans without the metagene, well.

4. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st November 2012
    15:06 GMT -5

"Oh, don't look at me like that. You were just trying to convince me to use a man as a power suppression device." His eyes flick to me for a moment before returning to Interceptor. "Todd Rice is my natural son, by the way, though I've got no idea how Orange Lantern found out about that."

"Your-?"

"Apparently, Rose kept it together long enough to give birth and hand them over to an orphanage. The tabloid stories about Jade being my daughter are true, though I was married to her mother at the time."

"I'm-. Sorry-."

"What for? You had a sound proposal. On balance, I think that Orange Lantern is in the right, because we want mentally ill people with superpowers to seek treatment rather than worry we're going to unperson them, but your argument had merit."

John leans back in his chair, slowly blowing air out of his pursed lips.

"At least you're consistent."

"It helps. We were going to release that information in a few years anyway. Honestly, I never thought that we were going to get anyone back."

"Why..? Were you going to tell people, then?"

"I -and the other members of the JSI executive board- think that honesty is the best policy. Whatever we did, it would come out eventually. With this… Last case put to bed, the plan is for us to retire and pass the whole organisation over to the next generation. A few years for them to get the hang of it, then we could make a public confession without harming the organization too much."

Interceptor blinks. "You were-? All-?"

"Handing a group of people -even supervillains- over to alien invaders isn't something any one of us would do without the agreement of the others. I hated it, and I hated them-."

"That's why you weren't annoyed that Interceptor killed the one I captured. She would have known-."

"Oh please." He shakes his head. "If she knew, it probably wouldn't have occurred to her to tell anyone, and she wouldn't have had any contact with anyone who would believe her word over mine. I wanted her dead because I know she'd have done exactly the same thing as the others given the chance, and probably has done it to other worlds."

"Why?" Interceptor looks lost as she shakes her head. "Was the situation really bad enough-?"

"Yes. They had orbital supremacy. We lost good people trying to lift nukes to their ships, which was the only way we had to even try to attack them. The only reason they didn’t wipe us out was because they wanted us as test subjects more than they wanted to conquer Earth. So we offered them every murderous criminal we had if they would leave. And they did. And we finally got the governmental support we needed to get strong enough to stop the next invasion. It was worth it."

John honestly seems a little amused. "And how was your crime rate after all that?"

"Much lower. Fewer thefts, fewer murders. Fewer lives being destroyed. People finally understood that supervillainy wasn't just a bit of fun. Some very unpleasant people died in Dominion prisons and I can't say I'm all that sad about it."

"I assume that's a discussion you've had with Missus Scott."

"Molly paid her debt to society before I married her. She knew how I felt about the way she was living when she was Harlequin."

Interceptor blinks, clearly stunned by what she's hearing.

"I… Don't know-."

"I know this is a shock, Interceptor, but I'm sure once you reason it through you'll see we're right. It's best for everyone this way."

John raises his left eyebrow. "Except the ones who died in the Dominion."

"I'm not going to waste my time on the total monsters, and most of the rest had family who are still alive today because they're not. When you're in a job like this, you can't-."

"If you're in charge, and you know something is necessary to do something good, and you refuse to do it, that's just… Just squeamishness."

"No, it's… Normal morals that don't fit the situation. Normal morals are there to guide you through individual interactions. They don't work when you try applying them to a population of billions. I'd worry about someone who could make this sort of decision and not be troubled at all, but at the end of the day, if you can't say 'exitus ācta probat' then you're in the wrong job."

I hate this conversation. And from the looks John's giving me, I've got a sneaky suspicion that I know what this whole thing was in aid of.

I mean… I agree, though I'm really uncomfortable hearing it from an Alan's mouth. But no one spoke against it? I make a point of surrounding myself with people who disagree with me for a reason. I want them to find a better way to do things. I give them opportunities to do that. Because I generally wouldn't mind being wrong.

It's not my fault if they don't have any better ideas. Or they just stick their fingers in their ears and hum loudly and hope it will go away.

I just-.

I-.

"So-. So what now?"

"Interceptor, good work. Take a week off to think things over. After that, we're going to make you the face of the successful counterattack."

"You're.. going to promote me?"

He nods. "Of course. Between your success rate and practicality, you're an obvious choice. As for our parallel universe friends… Well, that's up to the two of you. I'm gone in a few years anyway. You can release what you know, which might damage the JSI or might -let's not kid ourselves here- be met with casual indifference. Or you can keep it to yourselves. I don't know exactly how powerful a wizard you are, Mister Constantine, but I know very well the kind of collateral damage that happens when people in my weight class fight and I don't think this is worth fighting you over."

And John looks at me again.

What?

Is this-? Is he thinking about when the Justice League refused to arrest me over killing Nabu and making the whole thing public?

That wasn't-.

I don't disagree with-.

I can't.. make a decision that will affect an entire world without knowing far more about it than I.. do. You've got the fucking Blackrock, you decide!

"I see no particular advantage in releasing the information early, though, John, if you want to, go right ahead. Where are we on getting home?"

"Oh, I think Sivana will spot something went wrong in a little while. Shouldn't have a problem next time." He stands, sliding the Blackrock into his coat pocket as he does so. "Green Arrow and Black Canary have been keeping themselves busy too. Think I'll have a bit of a wander before we leave."

A red crack appears in the air behind him, and he turns and ambles through, closing it behind him.

Commander Scott turns to me.

"What do you think he'll do?"

"My guess is nothing. I suspect this is about self-awareness or something." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "Interceptor, good luck with the new job. Commander Scott, good luck with the trial. I.. feel a sudden need to engage in uncomplicated good works. Goodbye."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

One thing that Paul has that Commander Scott doesn't is people who can point out when what he's saying is too far and is able to think of a better solution. Because having the former without the latter is just complaining, not helping.

6. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

You don't have to like it to get it. I mean the JSI common society finally understood it wasn't a game.

7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

troubles -> troubled

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Is this supposed to be implying Constantine is the reason why they went to the wrong parallel? He didn't need to be back long to start causing mischief again.

10. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I can't express how much I disliked this. OL being a psychopathic nutcase carries this story, and any change to that will just diminish it.

boo600, KenNM, Wheenesss and 13 others like this.
  11. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

You know, we forget that Paragon has killed more sentient beings than any other Fictional Hero i can think off. And he's really great at expediency but not so great at restraint.
    This is honestly a good thing for John to do for him and keep in mind it's his Sinchronicity magic that got them there most likely.

12. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

At the same time, I think he can be a psycho nutcase while being less socially dense. For an enlightened empath, OL has no actual empathy.

13. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

He actually shows a lot of restraint most of the time given that he is an Enlightened Orange Lantern that could summon the Orange Light Entity any time he wants in his home universe.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yikes. No wonder John and Paul get along so well. They are eerily similar fucked up in some ways...or maybe just see the fucked upness in their world more clearly than others.

And...Paul pulled John out of the fire and John immediately returned the favour by showing Paul a warning of what could happen if he isn't very careful.

Weirdly wholesome?

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I'm sure OL could claim 'interdimensional travel experiences' and leave it at that. And yeah, Interceptor... She probably thinks she's hard, but she just got a proper look at the real nature of 'Hard men making hard decisions...'

Just not the woman who raised her. The writers of Infinity Inc back in the day had to do something to produce kids of the JSA from somewhere.

Well, that's surprising. Here we were, all going all conspiracy nut on Commander Scott, and...

...It turns out he's not as big a monster as we thought. And clearly has regrets over his decision.

Well, that's clever of you. Let's hope the people play along with that plan.

So, this is probably weighing as heavily on the other 'executive board' members as it is on you, then? But they weren't the public face of JSI leadership...

Probably true. The Dominators are not nice people as a culture, even if a single one might be.. an okay person.

Even if it meant lowering yourself to an immoral act to do so. But you're remorseful about it, at least.

And Superheroes have turned into government servants, as much as any soldier, no matter how fancy their costumes. Such is life?

Admittedly, she probably wasn't much of a supervillain. Especially against fricking Green Lantern.

Yeah, that's about normal for realising your heroes have feet of clay, just like anyone else.

And not all of them were convicted super-criminals.

I see OL understands the necessity of it, even if he isn't necessarily in agreement with the methods.

"One person dying is a tragedy, one million dying is a statistic." Empathy has limits, and so do nearly any other aspects of the human psyche.

Gee, not bitter or anything, OL? :p

Having second thoughts about some of your methods, OL? Or just frustrated at the conflicts?

Yeah, she's probably going to have to rethink her career.

Especially if John is willing to tap some of that Orderly or Chaotic power of his. And I notice he threw the choice onto the outsiders.

Well, you are nominally in charge of this 'mission'.

I mean, that whole situation was kind of a 'no good solution' scenario for all involved.

Well, sometimes you do have to do things without knowing all the information, OL.

And I can see John going 'eh, fuck that, this ain't my problem.'

...You are going to surrender that to the local authorities, right, John?

Ah, heading off for a bit of a palate cleanser, eh, OL? Gonna go clean the local ocean gyres?

Well, that was... About the best result of some dirty dealing behind the scenes, we could expect, I guess. Amazing how dark a world without a Trinity can get. And OL has some deep thinking to do about his own actions, by the looks of it. I know, 'want the ends, want the means' but some things... They leave a stain that doesn't fade easily. And John there just shone a light on it...

"Oh please." He shakes his head.
    ...she'd have done exactly the same thing as the others given the chance...

16. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

We can only hope Commander Scott actually retires. Assuming his ring is damaged like Blue Lantern was, he's ageless while having access to the Green Light. One can only hope that he stays out of it to let the organization actually grow and continue beyond him.

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, I'll be... good fucking work, John. Good work.

I didn't know where this was going until halfway through and when I got it, I think I had the same epiphany as the Illustres. Sometimes, I suppose, not because you're right means that you're in the right.

John and Paul definitely deserve each other as friends. I think they can keep each other's bullshit in check.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ha! LePaul got Constantined!

19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

No wonder Paul got his ass kicked so bad. He was the only one of John's friends involved in a Constantine Plan.

KenNM, Kuro-chan, Mastigos2 and 26 others like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Constantine plans are multi purpose.

In addition to the obvious, this one also showed LePaul he was the big fish in a little pond who was the little fish in the lake.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  21. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Hah! This is pretty close to Paul's perfect earth, and woops.

As an aside, finally figured out the continuity for the Transformers story. I'm pretty much OOTL on modern stuff, but I wikicrawl.
    Anyhoo, for a while I wondered if this was the Animated continuity, and that... Would have been awkward.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

23. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

I disagree. If someone has thought of a variety of approaches and picked one based on a narrow set of priorities due to having blind spots or tunnel vision, having people around them who will pull them out of that mindset and point out factors they didn't notice or consider may be all that is required for a better approach.

24. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I am massively confused by Paul's reaction here. I thought he's Orange Enlightened, no? How is he so confused and experiencing cognitive dissonance over this? Shouldn't he clearly know what he wants and then deal with it? In this case, a world where goody two-shoes have input, because it makes him feel safer on his own path, and where he doesn't have to see someone with Grandpa Scott's face be the voice of cold hard logic, because he's sentimental like that?

I mean none of this is news to Paul. Or at least it shouldn't be. And given what I know about his powers, such stuff shouldn't stump him even of it were. If this arc causes him to second-guess himself and and dither around for the next ten arcs then I'll be very disappointed.

Edit: On a different note, where was Alan 16 during this conversation?

25. Mr Zoat

He knows what he wants. He doesn't necessarily know how to get it. The issue here is that he's now uncertain if his approach will actually get him what he wants.
    No, it's about something completely different.
    Helping the survivors.

26. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

I can’t help but side with Commander Scott here, is what he did the most morally righteous thing to do? No. But what alternative did he have? It’s easy for Lord of Balance John to come in and judge him but I’m thinking of what options he had. If the options were a) give meta-criminals to the Dominion, b) give meta-heroes, c) defiantly refuse and then lose the whole planet. I really don’t see any decision that wouldn’t make John pissy. And the coverup issue seems more coincidental more than it is damning.

‘Ends justify the means’ is a very harsh philosophy but for a role like Protector of the entire planet, it makes perfect sense why the JSI exec board would agree with option a). And I don’t think this can really be compared to the Justice Lords, they took power over the US forcibly; as far as we can tell the JSI answer to the UN and they were handed powers to protect the planet.

It seems that Alt-Alans are really interesting characters, I wonder how a conversation between Capo Scott, Commander Scott and Blue Lantern would go. Some kinda side story would be fascinating to read.

I think he wants a stronger more efficient Justice League that has more involvement in global affairs but feels that copying the JSI might not be the way to go about it.
    I really hope he gets a sidekick or companion to ground him and remind him of human empathy. Or maybe a Motherbox since he’s nearing New Godhood

Bramble Thorn, AR760, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  27. Nero200

Nero200 Magus (derogatory)

I don't think the point is John being annoyed, the goal/reason for this was showing OL a possible result of the means he has been working towards.

This reality-roadtrip was synchronicity putting OL where he needed to be to learn a lesson that needed to be learned.

28. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

I love this chapter.
    First, OL power was countered and we got something more than another nearly-Godman adventure. But that, of course, was just a warm-up.

OL looking in a moral mirror was just priceless. It even has these classic opposite-but-same vibe, I mean old Green Lantern veteran vs young Orange Lantern upstart. What's more interesting, Scott is even more moral than OL. It's not "just squeamishness", it's not OK to be at piece with the situation. It's a trolley problem where you have to throw a 10000 big guys you can choose hoping it will stop the trolley from killing billions. I bet OL would do the same, but, until this very conversation, he won't feel even slightly sorry (as was shown on him killing brainwashing brownies). Alan at least hated it has to be done, if not who was sacrificed.
    And Paul did not like what he saw.
    I think that's first time we saw him being unable to decide some morally ambiguous question. To the point he said Constantine should decide, because he's a responsible guy who mostly makes good decisions, yes.
    Whatever comes next, I'm excited to see.

Still not sure why lots of people call him sociopath. He does have conscience, it just works in a mysterious ways. Blue and orange morality is much closer to the truth. That would never go away.

For next ten arcs -- sure. And yet, something should change, like approach to problem solving or self-awareness of how he sound to everyone around, or, you know, being actually sad he had to kill those brownies even if he had no real choice (while still not being sad at all for extermination of inherently villain species). Maybe something completely different, but no change at would be strange.

29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh that was great. I love Constantine getting one up on Paul, and showing him a mirror to look at the way he goes about things. Because he does tend to go 'sure but we're doing it my way'

Vorian, Bud-E, Caerwen and 5 others like this.
  30. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Most interesting episode I’ve read in a while. Hats off to you, Zoat.

Although does this universe have a Paul?