1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Karmic Acumen

Karmic Acumen The long-suffering one

Are you seriously trying to argue that "don't lead a guy on" is some sort of unfathomable mystery? News flash, if you'd hate it done to you, you shouldn't do it to someone else.

As far as bad excuses go, "she wasn't spoonfed common sense" is one of the worst.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They don't identify as belonging to the modern nation of Greece. They definitely consider themselves Greek. Similarly, they have a concept of the region of Europe, even if their knowledge of its modern history is sketchy.

3. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

There is also the belief that they kidnap men to rape. I also remember an old legend of an all female civilization that allowed men to vacation in their city, but if they willingly stayed for more than a week they were enslaved.

I like to think we humans are getting better as a civilization, but history is full of ugly tragedy that was just accepted as right and just at the time.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  4. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Even if she was aware, I see nothing wrong with her actions. She never gave an indication of a long-term relationship, she was just interested in the sex, which he agreed to.

She exists in a marriage already that will raise the kid. Assuming the child is born female at least. And under their legal terms the sperm donor has no right to the kid. Nor do I think he necessarily should.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  5. Karmic Acumen

A few weeks of (practically) living together is not sign of a long-term relationship to you?

And you think a man has no claim on his offspring? Really?

RamiroGalletti and Lord Ernest like this.
  6. Radix

Not inherently no. It is just genetics. You only consider it so because of your culturally ingrained values. I see no reason why he should have a claim to the offspring over the mother and their married partner. I mean in plenty of jurisdictions, a child born under a marriage is considered the husband's child regardless of genetics.

And no, living together isn't inherently long-term relationship. Frankly a partner moving in that quickly is a but strange. Assuming they actually were living together and he wasnt using a turn of phrase.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer and kerleth like this.
  7. Karmic Acumen

The fact that you consider genetics inconsequential says everything really.

And that you insist living together isn't a sign of long-term relationship is absurd.

Lots of cultural beliefs there that you treat as fact without doing the same for the others. You seriously don't recognise the double standard, do you?

8. Mr Zoat

As a point of interest, this isn't true in Britain. A sperm donor retains full rights and responsibilities in relation to any children he sires. That's why no one donates sperm here any more.

9. Karmic Acumen

It's like that practically everywhere. The only exceptions I can think off the top of my head are a few US states with activist courts. Some countries attach disclaimer forms to donation to circumvent this, but that's it.

TopHatWearer and Lord Ernest like this.
  10. Radix

Why would loving together for a few weeks with the intent of getting pregnant be long-term? If he had assumptions that is on him. And it is why healthy relationships involve communication.

I am not treating any standard as fact. I am pointing out that even in North American culture it isn't universal that genetics get you a right to a child. And the child is being born and raised in a jurisdiction that doesn't rely on genetics for deciding parental rights in regards to the father.

Cuchulin and TopHatWearer like this.
  11. Radix

If by a few activist courts you mean codified in law passed by a legislature, then sure that is an accurate description.

It is very hard to establish paternity for an existing marriage where the partner signs the birth certificate without the mother acknowledging it.

Cuchulin, kerleth and Ardy like this.
  12. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Anyone else hoping to see Mr. Rodriguez give such a romantic and passion-filled speech that it not only moves Medina's heart but also the hearts of her wives and they all drag him off to their bedroom for a hot amazon orgy?

"The Themysciran Court sentences this man to Death.."

"Curse you, Cake Man!"

"..by Snu-Snu!"

(Mr. Rodriguez is surrounded by a veritable buffet of glorious and glistening Amazon cake)

"Bless you, Cake Man!"

13. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Sounds like Medina really didn't make her intentions known or clear. Poor guy, especially if he wants the right to see his kid- which a lot of parents do.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"seem too gay"

Assblaster5000, Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This sounds plausible.

She might have gotten a briefing but she either didn't listen or the briefing wasn't thorough.

Was she there as a tourist or in an official capacity?

If she was a tourist then it makes sense since most info tourists get may not include the rules of sex and romantic relationships in another country unless the acts are considered illegal.

Why would she be wiser just because she's older?

Age isn't a perfect indicator for wisdom.

Plus her age can play against her here since it may be why she didn't understand what she was doing.

Old people can have difficulty adapting to new ways of thinking and doing things, and Medina is thousands of years old, so it may be even more difficult for her.

Pretty much.

Common sense isn't all that common.

Plus she may have already been fed sense, but it's Amazon sense.

People don't often adapt to new situations in the best of ways.

And American culture isn't exactly completely unified in the view on how to have a relationship or have children.

Some parts think that both biological parents should raise the kid, while others think it's fine for one to raise them.

16. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Rather than focus on who was right in the debate, I think it's interesting that this is the case the SI decided to bring Clark Kent along to witness and I am interested to see what Clark has to say about it. In theory this should be the type of messy moral dilemma that Clark sees all the time. The man works in the news industry; he gets to see plenty of complicated arguments. Often in Superman discussions we are assured that the split is that Superman punches problems that can be solved by violence, and Clark is his means of looking at issues that require a more human perspective. So what is Clark's more human perspective? Will he surprise OL with some solution or suggestion that OL had not considered? After all, while a reporter is not a social worker he probably interacts more with societal issues than OL does. Maybe Clark will have something valuable to contribute.

17. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’thing’

18. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Prince Charon and kerleth like this.
  19. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He''s looking for something more serious, she's just trying to get impregnated for her polyamorous lesbian commune, it's a tale as old as time.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Well, if there's the time for sudden and unlikely romantic turnarounds, it's Christmas.

RamiroGalletti and TopHatWearer like this.
  22. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Us.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

You’re intentionally ignoring the massive cultural gap between the two

As far as Themysciran culture is concerned leading a man on isn’t a thing because everyone involved knows the deal and that’s the culture that Medina has been submerged in for three thousand years, think about how set in their ways and uncompromising people who have been raised in a religious household can be after only a few decades, then multiply that by a few hundred

I’m not saying she’s blameless because at the absolute minimum she’s ignored all the lessons she had before she left and just assumed she knew better but we shouldn’t assign malice where it might not be

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Back when Nemesis was a part of the Wonder Woman support cast there was a storyline that reminds me of this.

Diana wanted to marry Tom, bear his daughter, she even had a name picked out if he so agreed- Polly. That if she should fall in battle Tom would raise their daughter to be a proud Amazon. This was after one of the many times that the Amazons got decimated.

But she wasn't in love with him. Apparently Amazon courtship is on the practical side- If you want someone, whether as a temporary recreation or even a lifetime commitment, being in love is not seen as a requirement.

Maybe Tom could have gotten over the fact that Diana only saw him as hot and good father material (he was definitely hurt by this news, by the by), but as an international secret agent and vigilante, he never intended to have kids, it wouldn't be safe for him or them.

So Wonder Woman got dumped.

Ardy, kerleth, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  26. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

"He was a boy, she was a girl. Can I make it any more obvious?"
    -Acclaimed Vampire singer Avril Lavigne.

27. Karmic Acumen

No I'm not. I'm saying 1: this was clearly not a cultural thing because it most certainly wasn't their culture to deny fathers their children or knowledge of such 2000 years ago, and the amazons since have clearly retained this since all those male relatives knew from the start what they were getting into.

And 2: You can't honestly argue that culture is an excuse unless you're willing to give the same weight to the other guy's culture too.

But culture is no excuse for leading a guy on regardless. It's just common sense. And no, common sense is not somehow uncommon.

"It's fine" my ass. She clearly knew what she was doing. And the alternative only makes her look worse.

28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Can confirm. When my dad was in his 30s, he was a computer programmer that was getting a little soft around the middle but still had plenty of muscle from doing farm work and maintaining heavy machinery. (Now that he's in his 60s he's considerably softer around the middle and not nearly as strong as he was in his prime, but he can still lift more than me.)

You're British. Nobody would notice if you stopped using H. :p

I'm a huge fan of the Logitech G915. It's marketed as a gaming keyboard but I really like typing on it because the keys don't require a lot of travel and they're responsive and snappy. The keys are clickier than a typical cheap keyboard, but they're nowhere near as obnoxious as the ones on a lot of mechanical keyboards. (Sadly it's a touch on the expensive side and the RGB is totally unnecessary.)

29. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

It literally was though, Amazons would meet up with men, have sex to produce a child and then leave with the prospective father only knowing he has a kid if it’s a son and they bring it back

The only difference between then and now is that she assumed that he knew that was the deal and he didn’t
    I am, the guy is completely in the right here
    Common sense is a completely artificial construct that’s shaped by your culture, it’s common sense in the UK that chocolate shouldn’t taste like vomit but the US would disagree with that

In the same way it’s common sense for her to go out and get impregnate and then come back without ever seeing the man again

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The saying was. ;)

Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, my side, and the truth.

Cuchulin likes this.