1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Always serious or always a fool?

She's back in familiar territory.

Even her romance with Lucifer was basically transactory.

"wondering"

"erase"

'tidied'

Welp, this is either Apokalips or New Genesis.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hopefully, they don't attack Paul or friends on sight.

If it's from New Genesis then they may have intel on OL and know that he's not an Apokoliptian.

But with Maze...

3. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I think Mazikeen herself called OL "father" first, since as far as she could tell he was basically the Ophidian's human face, and he just decided to roll with it and not contradict her and accepted the role.

Prince Charon, Ardy, kerleth and 5 others like this.
  4. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

In the chapter where Paul and Mazikeen first meet, she refers to him as father first. Claiming that Paul and the Ophidian were bound so tightly together that she had difficulty telling where he ended and Ophidian began.

Prince Charon, Ardy, kerleth and 5 others like this.
  5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Really seems more like a stepfather. Let the shippers rejoice.

Ardy, kerleth and Ngamer11 like this.
  6. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Hmm...

So is the hypothesis that she was killing people that were affected by the teleporters antilife and Bruno or killing people that found out about the teleporters antilife and Bruno?

Prince Charon and Ngamer11 like this.
  7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Yes, of course.

Sojiko likes this.
  8. Tbryan

Tbryan Know what you're doing yet?

Explained in Vantavendi (part 19)
    It's also been hinted at that the Ophidian was the serpent from the Garden of Eden that tempted Eve.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And since Maze is a daughter of Lilith whose father is canonically a snake demon, it makes sense as far as canon wielding goes.

Unless one finds the "tying the emotional embodiments to biblical creatures" pretty stupid.

Which I do. But since this isn't a quest, it's not like I get a vote.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, the April Fool's Day episode had a Paul stuck in a video game.

There could be a Paul stuck in a quest story.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

11. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Quest-Paul would probably have done his best to spite the players so hard that it never broke ten thousand words.

12. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Dont forget the part where, she implied that Lucifer ‘walked’ out of creation, again. She was of the opinion that a part of him may have returned in the form of Paul. She seemed to draw this conclusion from the numerous mystical & descriptive similarities that are shared between Paul and Lucifer. I.E. Near-unkillable Supernatural beings with an association to snakes, the propagation of Vice, and the punishing of sinners.

Note: I personally would have put much stock in these similarities but I’m not an ancient demon almost as old as dirt.

Anti-life is almost never this subtle in application or behavior, so I feel like not thinking of it is reasonable. This is assuming there isn’t also some kind of memetic effect making them forget about Anti-life. We saw the memory of Father Bruno decay within a day. Whose to say that any thoughts regarding Anti-life isn’t being filtered by what ever spell is in effect.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  13. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Ouch. Been there, done that,

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In the comics, Maze was a small child when she first met Lucifer, who was a grown man at the time, so the fact that they became lovers is just all kinds of disturbing.

If she sees Paul as Lucifer then that means that Paul's relationships with women can still become weird and wrong.

Khornelius likes this.
  15. Neruz

Neruz HISSSSSS!

Anti-Life is usually pretty fucking obvious when it's in play, this sort of subtlety is very uncharacteristic.

16. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I feel like it's been a while since we last ended an update with an explosion. I mean, this isn't a real explosion, but close enough.

kerleth likes this.
  17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Eh, if comics Lucifer became a lantern he'd be a greenie. Lucifer willed existence into creation. And disconnected green rings, their constructs are fiery. So yeah Lucifer would be rocking the green flames.

Now TV Lucifer would definitely be an orange lantern, but he's a horse of a different color.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True.

And I think the one from the 2018 comic would do well with a yellow ring due to his generally more intimidating presence and behavior.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

31st December 2012
    13:38 GMT -5

Armourconstructarmourrailgun-.

Scott Free stumbles through, clutching his head!
    Freedom is a Hamster Wheel.
    "Mister Free?"
    Round and Round with No Escape.
    His costume is slightly battered, though he doesn't appear to be seriously injured. His Mother Box is on his utility belt, and.. looks fine? Reaching out with-
    You Don't Look and You Don't See.
    Oh. Yeah, he's clearly not human.

-my eldritch senses, I see… Something, trying to attach itself to his metaphysique? It doesn't look like the mist that Dr. Balewa found in me, but there's clearly… Something wrong with him.

Dr. Balewa gestures, and white mist rises from Mr. Free's skin. He collapses to the floor, curling into a foetal position and wrapping his arms around his chest like he's trying to clasp his hands behind his back.

The stuff attacking him is flowing with the strands that make up his metaphysique, aping them, acting like it's a part of the structure. More than that, it looks like the energy that Dr. Balewa just tried to use to cleanse him is… Trying to more fully merge it-.

"Stopdoingthatstopdoingthat!"

He clenches his hands into fists, ending his spell. "I do not-. Mazikeen, do you know this?"

"Which part?"

Okay, okay, the engraftment points. It fits naturally, but I should be able to… Introduce something unnatural.

Given that he grew up on Apokolips, I shouldn't be surprised that he doesn't really want to be a god. But what if he did?

What if I just… Add a little…
    One Foot in Front of Anoth-.
    Desire.

Orange light sparks across his metaphysique, drawing on what's already there and shifting it. I mean, if I was picked by the Source to be the New God of Freedom, I like to think that I'd have done a little more with the office than he has. And… Yes, as I change things the whatever-it-is starts losing its grip, floating free and being drawn to the white orb that Dr. Balewa has set up.

"And now? Do you recognise it now?"

Okay, but what happens if I turn the areas I've changed back into what they were before-. The mist just… Reappears, already connecting to the parts I just cleared.

"Where did that come from?"

"From heem."

Oh. Oh dear.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

Okay, so the New God of Freedom is apparently spontaneously creating something fundamentally contrary to the concept to freedom. I alter him once more, mist flowing off and into Dr. Balewa's orb.

"Mazikeen, you don't have to-"

And this time I don't hesitate or undo my own work. No, I twist and warp, reconnecting certain impulses so that he'll think of his aggressive and godly actions in more positive terms. I tie in a desire to be a god and rebuild his desire to be a normal man into a desire to be able to be a normal man. Nothing contrary to his nature, but it's all helping get rid of the miasma.

"-contribute, but you'll be getting coal for all the Christmases we missed if you don't."

Okay, that's… Most of it. He no longer has any desire to not be the freest god that he can be, pushing barriers and helping others do the same. I've radically altered his character, and he's… He's looking a little better. He's awkwardly rising to all fours, and-
    Freedom Is Absolute
    -my changes are gone and he's glaring at me from the floor.

"What did you just do?"

"Got rid of whatever the heck that was."

I glance at Dr. Balewa's binding spell.

"You were producing that. And a little while ago I had that inside me too. What is it?"

"It's Anti-Life."

"Oh. Shit." I frown. "But I'm… I've encountered the Anti-Life before. It's never done anything to me. I just.. hear it talking nonsense, and that's it."

Mr. Free pulls himself upright, clearly wrung out.

"And you thought that was it?"

"Yeah? I've put a lot of effort into fortifying myself against that sort of thing, and it looks like it was paying off."

"That's not it. That's-. That's not it at all." He reaches up, pulling his mask off his face. "That's just a simplest way of using it. With someone who understands it properly, they can reach into you and they… They don't need to overpower you. They can work off what's already there, the weaknesses that already exist in your… Soul."

He stares me in the eyes.

"What did you see?"

"Something about… Freedom not really being a thing if you just kept doing the same thing and ignored everything else?"

"There's more to it than that. It's the idea that… Freedom doesn't matter if you don't use it. You can be free and still… Plodding along in the way you would be if you were a prisoner. Because the prison isn't just in the material world, it's in your mind and soul. Because the prison… Someone imposes on you is much weaker than the one you make for yourself."

"I didn't feel anything."

"Where did you get exposed?"

"Probably the Alliance's teleportation system. But I checked it thoroughly-."

"Did you check for New God technology?"

"No, I… Can't actually do that."

"I did. I don't know where they got it from-. Barda didn't get away."

"Where?"

"Some place in Hub City. I thought I felt another New God around the place. They… I guess they got the drop on us."

"Do you know anyone who could do this? Other than-."

"Darkseid."

"He's on Earth?"

"I doubt it, but maybe? I can't think of anyone else. I need to get back-."

"We need to muster the League. If Darkseid is here, or if someone has corrupted the Alliance, it will take our full strength. I will speak to Betman now."

"And I need to talk to Alan."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Some Godspeech today, a rare sight in Paragon Timeline...

21. Neruz

Neruz HISSSSSS!

Alright yeah that's definitely not normal Anti-Life, not in the slightest.

Someone has gone and fucking SCIENCE!'d Anti-Life haven't they.

22. Perchance

Perchance Getting out there.

I won't be surprised per say if Father Bruno is connected in some way obviously, but I'd be a bit surprised if he's Darkseid in full. Though he DID give off vibes that reminded me of his human incarnation ... thingy from the comics.

Silveraith, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

And There's the OH SHIT alarm sounding.

Does make me wonder why he showed up to see the Doctor and OL. The motherbox pick his location or did he manage to request getting dropped off here before the thing tried to overtake him? Or something sinister?

24. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

it is normal AL from what the guy say

it just the more advance version

basically the actual spell instead of cheap cantrip

25. Neruz

Neruz HISSSSSS!

More like the spell wielded by a master who actually understands how it works.

Still seems off though; Darkseid is certainly capable of playing shenanigans like this, but I cannot think of any canon instance where he has actually done so.

So either someone is doing something fucky, or we have a genre-savvy Darkseid on the loose.

If it's the latter, then everyone is in incredibly deep shit; because pretty much the only thing that ever really stopped Darkseid from conquering the everything was his own inability to not be an excessively large ham at every opportunity.

26. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Wait, did Paragon just produce GODSPEECH on the fly and imbue with Desire and use it to Repel an Anti Life prision contruct from Darkseid?
    Lol. And he catches up to renegade who had to use pony magic to reform his soul.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Okay, not immediately hostile, but that much darkness is a bad thing. Better to restrain him ASAP, and check him over for the gooey stuff. I have no doubt this is related to their investigation, after all. Perhaps Batman called him and Barda in...

:confused: Oh, that's not concerning at all, noooo... Looks like something's causing a feedback loop in his Godname.

So, his Godhead just told OL to fuck off with that 'poking around' shit? A little more active than we've seen before.

Not sure a good dose of Life is going to help here, Doctor. This might not be something you can just burn out like a cancer.

Oh, god, no. Do not let Anti-Life anywhere near the Life Entity's energies.

Ooh, she's never seen the ludicrously over-engineered metaphysical structure of a New God, has she? It'd be like a caveman looking at a printed circuit: Shiny and pretty, but incomprehensible...

Not the smartest idea to go poking around in something you don't understand, but this is an emergency.

Something to goose him out of this logical short-circuit he's in? Could work, cloud get you stabbed.

Interesting. The infection is a targetted attack on... His reluctance to embrace his Godhead? And OL making him want to follow his role has removed it's attachment points?

So, if he wants to not have this stuff ripping him up, he's going to have to live up to his Godname.

The infection is self-replicating? Or it's rooted to him and bubbling up out of his reluctance...

Yeah, that's not good. Definitely going to have to keep him altered, or he'll be infecting everyone he goes near.

A clever idea. Not inserting new desires, but reshaping the ones he has to be... More resistant to the infection.

Ah, looks like OL managed to force him to reboot his Godly self and purge the infection. Like a divine version of Wholeness Rightly Assumed. :D

You're welcome, by the way. So don't get pissed about him poking around in your souls.

At least they've got a nice big sample to examine now.

Because Enlightenment reframes what it says into nonsense.

...Oh, crap.

So... My analogy of a sledgehammer and a scalpel is more apt than I thought. Or in this case, a ballista bolt versus a poisoned senbon needle.

I can see him being a little embarrassed about having someone who's practically a stranger look into his soul that deeply.

Hence the 'hamster wheel' comments his Godspeech was making. And yes, people can be surprisingly complacent when they find themself in a place that's comfortable.

...As thoroughly as you could check it. Really have to work on the arcane side of things, you know. A simple 'Is this magic? Yes/no?' runestone is looking kind of sub-par at this level.

Yeah, you're realising you need to learn how, aren't you?

So, there's going to be a rescue mission involved, very soon.

My money is still on Doctor Impossible. He's actively encountered OL, and had his schemes disrupted. I could see him targetting Earth in revenge because 'Fuck the Orange Man.'

I mean, it's the obvious option, but that is Scot's guess. I'm sure some of the big guy's followers have been doing research into Anti-Life on their Master's orders. He can't do it all Himself, after all.

Yeah, the sooner you get that shit out of his less-well-protected soul, the better. Especially if it's designed to target the very thing that powers him.

So, the excrement is flying fan-wards, the alarms are ringing and the Cloister Bell is tolling. Things are coming to a head, and it looks like the heroes are going to be preparing for a cataclysmic level of danger. Why do I get the feeling, though, that something is missing? They still don't know who is behind all this, after all. The League's reaction could be playing into the mastermind's plan... Whatever that plan is.

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Did Paul just permanently alter Mister Miracle?

29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

No, from what I understand, he gave Scott the desire to free himself.

No, Scott got rid of them.

30. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Nope, once Scott was awake again his own powers of Freedom wiped clean the deliberately unnatural changes Paul made.