1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Then he should have a punchier name, like Zeus.
    Wrong Danner. He was refering to Abednego Danner, who is definitely dead.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Neither the SI or Adom know that.

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘is’
    ’thet’

3. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

4. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

No, because that's how DC spelt it and it being one of the correct ways to write it due to the inherent difficulty of romanizing a gods name written in Japanese. Susano, Susanoo and Susano-o are ALL valid ways of writing it but it in this case Susano or Susano-o are best and Zoat has chosen Susano.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Would the SI distending from his human form and flaming the Avarice in every human being in the planet not ‘help’ with the anti-life? At least in trying to resist it. Not even considering trying to eat and then spit out the new form of anti-life from everyone?

also, THIS seems like the Godzilla threshold to fuse with the Ophidian again and do all of the above.

Maybe get Alan and Guy to do the same /attempt to with Hope and Will respectively.

seems weird it was time it the SI’s options.

shouldn’t he have contacted Grandma Controller already?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

In the most conservative story to ever feature in Hellblazer (including the one where he dressed up as Margaret Thatcher), it turned out that the First was behind consumerism and FOMO. John countered that by making a couple of young people it affected dream their grandfather's life. When they awoke, they compared their own shallow existences with what they just saw, and straightened out. When the First said 'okay, but what about everyone else?' John basically indicated that he didn't really care.

I'm fairly sure that you're using 'distending' wrongly.

Flaring the avarice of every human being might help a few with their Anti-Life exposure, temporarily. It would make far more worse.
    Simple, really. They're not sure that they Ophidian is immune. The Ophidian getting Anti-Lifed would be worse than the Earth getting Anti-Lifed.
    To paraphrase Dr. Hopkins, 'If we knew how to stop the Anti-Life, don't you think we'd have already done that?'

BookZone, c3qo, Cuchulin and 10 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know the way you say this actually makes sense.

In Obloquy's story, they said that New Gods choose their named based on what they wish to do with their godhood, so Darkseid choosing his name makes sense, since he wants to bring out the worst in everyone.

Paul has acted like this before, so it's nothing new.

Everyone is going to need therapy after this.

The most lucrative job you can get on Earth 16 is being a therapist.

You'll never run out of work.

Too bad you're also going to need therapy.

Thanks, I was wondering who that was.

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Hephaestean could build something useful if he got his hands on one of those Justifier helmets. Anti-Life dampening helmets. This is hurting his worshippers after all

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In DC comics it was shown that New Gods choose their god names out of a book.

Uxas chose Darkseid because he was being chuuni.

"None had dared choose Darkseid as a name, but I, the awesomeness that I am, will be the first to choose it!"

Note that Darkseid's whole schtick is basically overcompensating for feelings of inadequacy because he had stupendously crappy parents.

Hence his mother killing his wife. He stopped feeling the need to brainwash everyone in the universe into pretending his shit didn't stink because his wife looking at him with love made him feel like a worthwhile being for the first time in his life.

BookZone, BR549, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  10. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

We do see that there are counters to it, or at least stuff than can slow anti-life down. But the previous time Paul broke anti-life it was a piece that avarice could counter. I feel like each colored emotional entity power can counter an aspect of anti-life but only white light can counter all. (Okay, Sandman says Hope is more powerful than Anti-life but my point stands).

Strength of Amun is helping to endure, but it doesn't seem to do more than that. Might need Gaia, or another entity to be able to undo it. (Huh, I wonder if the Rot or any entity that's associated with decay could help- turning death into the material for new life)

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Kinda wondering what Boss Smiley is doing during all this, since he has stepped in a couple times so far. I'm a little unclear on all his goals, but "the entire Earth gets anti-lifed and serves Darkseid forever" probably isn't in line with them.

Actually, didn't they free Uncle Sam after the stuff with Johnny Reb and Boss Smiley? Given independence and rugged individualism and all that are parts of the classical American ideal, could Uncle Sam not be a good entity to contact to help protect the US?

Ardy likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

He could... Probably be a part of the solution, or at least of the recovery. But from his point of view he just dug his way out from under a mountain of shit, only to get two mountains' worth dropped on him.

13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

So quick question, back when they just defeated John Quinn and all the various Johns fused together, Sanderson sort of vanished. And then the narrative said that it looked like Constantine was wearing some of Sanderson's gear.
    So what happened to Sanderson?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Now that I look over it again I realise that it wasn't clear, but Sanderson was carrying combined-John. I'll just edit it.
    Right now he's in the Tower of Fate, since he has no particular resistance to Anti-Life and they might need him for magic rituals.

15. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Getting out there.

Man, haven't posted here in a couple of years, but felt like catching back up in the story, gotta say I'm not sure what's more impressive after all this time, Chojin Patriarch posting his detailed commentary or Vaermina still hate watching and making inane comments.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I vote for option 3: Mr Zoat continuing to post daily after god knows how many years.

17. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:34 GMT -5

I set William down on the Belle Reve helipad and put my right hand on his left shoulder to support him as he slumps.

"Are you managing?"

"Ah… Managing? I think so." He tries smiling, but it doesn't look right, and he picks up on my reaction. "It really… Doesn't feel good, though. Are you sure you don't need me to do anything?"

"You're a child who can block the Anti-Life. No one here is going to care about anything else."

He nods. Must be frustrating to be treated as an adult as Captain Marvel and then be routinely dismissed as William Batson. Even though Captain Marvel is a good deal more intelligent than when he's in William mode.

"Orange Lantern to Warden Waller." I march in the direction of the entry point. "Ring, put that on repeat until she answers."

"Compliance."

William cautiously follows me towards the fortified gateway that would lead into the prison. Usually, this would be constantly manned night and day, but under the circumstances I shouldn't be too surprised that it's not. I am mildly impressed that the guards managed to retreat inside. If that's what happened: the wards are blocking my empathic vision. They might have fled, or-.

"Lantern. What the hell is going on?"

"Anti-Life broadcast. We can't stop it yet. I'm here to perform an evacuation."

"You can't stop it? Then how am I thinking straight?"

"Metahuman, but he can only block it over a small area. As soon as he leaves-."

"I get the picture." I hear the clacking of keys in the background. "Security's fucked. I can't open the door, just override the emergency response."

"I can break in. But I have orders for you."

"From who?"

"The President."

"Horne or Knight?"

"Adams."

"Who?"

"There's a giant super-robot in Washington and the entire population is forming neat lines under the orders of their mind control helmets." I smash the door apart with a crumbler ram, and the alarm sounds only once. "Including the former President and the President Elect. Proven unnatural mental influence automatically removes someone from the line of succession."

"Shit. Who's Adams? How far down-?"

"The highest ranking air force officer we could find who wasn't completely non-functional." Thank goodness he was on the Watchtower when this happened. Apparently it's too high up to be affected easily by the corruption of the thaumosphere. "Can you get the guards together? I'm heading towards the prisoners now."

So many wonderfully effective security systems battered aside. I wince a little as each one crumbles.

"I can do that. We're in lock down, so they're in their cells. Or should be. What's your plan?"

"Task Force X has been approved."

"You said-."

"We're it, Warden. Most superheroes in America who weren't part of the League joined the Alliance of the Just. That's where it started. As far as we can tell, every single one is now working for Apokolips."

"Ah, hell."

"So your plan is back in action. They fight and they get a pardon. They don't, they can stay here and take their chances."

"And if they try anything?"

"We don't have the resources to waste. If they fuck around and survive, they get to be our test subject. I don't know if removing someone's soul makes them immune to the Anti-Life, but it would be interesting to find out. Kadabra's class in session?"

"It was. I'll get the staff organised."

"Orange Lantern out."

"Ah, hey."

I stop, turning to see William kneeling next to a collapsed guard. William shakes his shoulders, and the guard looks up at him with a thousand yard stare.

"What?"

"I know it's awful, what it does to your head. But right now the world needs you to get on your feet. Can you do that?"

"I..?" He shakes his head as if in a daze. "It'sIt's all…"

"We're leaving in twenty minutes whether you're on your feet or not. Do you want to go back to feeling like that?"

"Nono ohGod."

He scrabbles against the wall to pull himself upright, clearly not right in the head but at least in motion. William flashes me a disappointed look before taking the guard's right hand.

"This way, mister."

"Ri-right."

A little way down the corridor… And the door is missing.

Sonic projector.

"Kadabra, it's Orange Lantern. We're here to get you out."

There's a brief delay, then the door appears and Thomas very cautiously sticks his head out. I've never actually seen him look scared before, but he's doing it now. He's half-cringed and tense as a cable. After seeing that it's really me he relaxes a little.

"Hey, man."

"Thomas."

I walk up to him, push the door the rest of the way open, and hug him. It's a sign of how off-kilter he is that he actually hugs back. For about two seconds. I let go the instant I spot him getting uncomfortable, and he steps back into the room.

Kadabra's class is a little larger than it used to be. Or as I should say, the educational program. These days, he's not actually the only teacher. The privileges that come with actually teaching the other inmates useful skills are good enough that several inmates with useful skills have volunteered, and if they're not a total psycho Waller generally lets them.

"Kadabra."

He's sitting on his desk, looking a little more together than the other students. Looking, because I can see that it's due to his implants.

"That was Anti-Life, wasn't it?"

"It still is. We're not out of the woods. The world is infected and we can't turn it off. Who wants out?"

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  18. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Thanks for the update.

Quick question for ya. Does the quoted bit mean that anyone on the Watchtower can't do magic? Because they're no longer linked to Earth's thaumosphere? As Earth born organisms, is there no link maintained even over just a minor remove from the planet? How would the moon be affected? Does that fall under the Thaumosphere?

This is interesting, because I thought the connection to the thaumosphere was part proximal, but also part metaphysical through things like the Dreaming linking everyone together.

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They can still do magic, bit it may be weaker.

Otto von Saurion, Windona and Ardy like this.
  20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

When did the League reveal the Watchtower's existence?

21. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Is Sportsmaster's kill-on-sight sentence still in force? As I recall he had pretty good anti-telepathy training.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  22. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

wait, did Atom got promoted to President

he the only air force person who have any reason to be on the Watchtower who name is Adam

23. Mr Zoat

They haven't. I don't think that the SI tells anyone here?
    Yes. Nathaniel Adam.

24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Nabu managed to ward the Watchtower. That its in orbit just means that magic is harder.
    In this case it likely means that there is Anti-Life exposure happening on the Watchtower, but its weak enough that you can just work through it.

25. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

It's "Adams" so I think so. As everyone on Earth is Anti-Life'd Captain Atom is de facto the highest, least infected, member of the US Government.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Poor William. That little boy always gets dunked in the trauma deep end.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And just like Adom, even without divinely granted courage, he's got the will and strength of character to get the job done. There's a good reason Jebidiah 'Shazam' of Canaan picked him for the job, and why the sword of Beowulf approved of him in the renegade timeline.

One good thing the Renegade's timeline did for him, giving him a magic sword and all. Though I have the feeling he prefers to work in adult form more often than not. Eventually, though, he'll grow up and be able to get that respect without his 'mask'.

I can already hear her screaming "WHAT?!" as she picks up the constantly-ringing phone.

Great, the one time he needs to see in, he can't. Let's hope it hasn't gone all Birdcage inside...

Well, you are stubborn enough to give it a big middle finger, no matter what levers it tries to tug on... Otherwise you wouldn't be in charge out here.

Well, if it keeps the bad guys inside...

Straight from the top, huh? Who drew the short straw?

...Okay, unless there's been some grave-robbign and necrourgy, I'm guessing you don't mean either of these gents. :D

Well, that could be an interesting issue for their ongoing service. What's the bet neither of them will be considered fit to take office afterwards because of the outbreak?

...You mean Captain Atom is in charge? Major Nathaniel Adams? Well, there's a turn-up for the books. :p

Well, make a note to come back and patch the doors up later, OL. This is an emergency.

Hot-damn, they're getting the Suicide Squad after all? And a few years earlier than expected.

Yes, that's about right. Heck, Hell would be against this shit. :p Can't sin without Free Will, after all.

Then they take their chances. I expect the ones who do want the opportunity will convince them. ...Might take a broken bone or a dozen, but they might fall in line.

And there's an even better kill-switch option than a simple micro-bomb in their spine. Especially since some of the more technically inclined might be able to disable a bomb...

Bet there's a lot of people in that state all over the country.

Good luck, kiddo, he's well under the weather.

I suppose that's one way to get someone in gear. OL serving as the bad cop once again. :p

Better let them know to watch him...

First stop, a fresh pair of pants? :p

Since he'd have good ways to gain control of the more uncooperative prisoners.

Thomas 'Terror' Beresford. There's a face we've not seen in a while. Guessing he's been keeping an eye on Abra.

Because no matter how tough you are, sometimes you just need physical comfort...

Good to hear things have improved within, and not all of the inmates are looking to become career criminals. Whether masterminds, gang-lords or goons...

Ah... Yes, he would know about the historical aspect of it, wouldn't he? The first open attack upon Earth by Apokalips.

So... Emptying the super-prison and giving those incarcerated a chance to earn a little good-will towards parole. Or other privileges. Goes to show how hard the League is up against it in this disaster. At least those who accept will hopefully be aware that if or when they win, the League will be right there ready to quash any ideas about slipping away. Let's hope all goes well, then.

28. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

Hell he’s taking the long way around. He had Teth Adom, Dr. Mist, and could have had Billy there in ten minutes or less. Have all three place a hand on the spear of destiny and channel their power into humanity. A double shot of unbreakable will and a semi direct connection to the life entity herself; Darkside would twitch and have a bloody nose, and world wide suicide rates would plummet.

Prince Charon, CTrees and batrax like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

I think they’ve mainly kept the life entity out of the line of fire. The spear might serve as a greater link to it. Considering he hasn’t gone full snake man they may be trying to keep him away from escalating entities of power if this is all bait. This is only one of the more skilled forms of anti life. If Darkseid is waiting to jump on one or test earths response he will likely be able to bring more to bear behind it.

Cuchulin, Vorian, CTrees and 2 others like this.