1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Archive] With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Story Only)

Discussion in 'Story Archive' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

22nd December 2012
    17:08 GMT +3

Kal-El and I turn our heads to look each other in the eyes for a moment. Then he takes a breath, and gives Medina his full attention.

"Perhaps you could explain to me how it worked before the Amazons came to this island? That way I'd know what you were expecting."

"We weren't…" Medina looks around at her wives, but she's clearly being given the floor. "We didn't live in the Old City. We lived in a village east of there. The Old City was women-only, except for the princes and foreigners who had business there. In Merbakades, where we are from, men and women lived… Separately, but in the same settlement."

Kal-El frowns. "If so many women lived in the Old City, wouldn't that mean that the rest of the country was mostly men?"

"Yes." She nods. "I still find it a little strange, sometimes, that things are different here."

"After three thousand years?"

"It…" She glances at Karyne, who nods sympathetically. "It doesn't feel like three thousand years, sometimes."

Keep doing the same thing and time can fly by, I suppose.

"So if there were a lot more men than women… How did that work?"

She snorts. "We did not sport ourselves with all of them, if that is what you mean. Men who wished to sire children travelled to the City for the Festival, and we…"

Rina nods. "We hadn't been together all that long when… When the City was invaded. None of us had children."

Chloe smiles. "Which isn't to say that none of us attended the Festival as well!"

"But men and women… Didn't… I mean, outside of this… The festival…"

Medina shrugs. "It probably happened, but they kept it quiet. It wasn't normal in Themyscira. But there was no… We did not have slavery, as the Cities of Men did. Anyone who was unhappy could leave if they wanted. The men were happy enough with one another, so far as I remember."

Oh my goodness me Kal-El's actually blushing a little. Yes, Old Themyscira was homosexual central, and not just the women. Adult men, unlike the Athenians far to the south.

"So have any of you had children before?"

Four nods, but Medina shakes her head. "I did not, which is why my darlings allowed me to go first this time."

"But… Weren't men and women living together when the Island was settled? Didn't that..? Change how they related to one another?"

"Of course! But the men didn't… I mean, the villages…" She appears to be struggling to work out how to explain something that must be so obvious to an Amazon. "The city women just lived like we village women. The Festival was… Much the same, a time for getting with child."

"But weren't the children living closer to their fathers?"

"I…" Medina frowns as she tries to remember. "Perhaps? It was a long-"

Rina nods. "Yes."

"-time ago and how do you remember that?"

Rina frowns. "How do you not? The chaos of our first planting seasons is still as fresh in my mind as it was then. And no, it did not change our families overmuch. Boys still went to their uncles once they were weaned, and girls stayed with their mothers."

"Their uncles?"

"Their mother's brothers. Or one of them." She shifts in her seat. "Things were… If there was no uncle, things could be different. I had two daughters, so I did not have to deal with it myself."

"So what did you plan on doing if Medina had a boy?"

Medina shrugs. "The Princess has two sons. I'm sure that we could raise one in a civilised manner."

How modern.

"You said that, back in the Old City, if a man and a woman wanted to marry one another, they could leave the country. So you are aware that other countries handle relations between men and women differently."

Four nods, and Rina waits to see where we're going.

"Do you remember how that worked?"

"Their women were chattel of their fathers and husbands." Medina shakes her head. "I know that is not how things are now."

"Alright, but who raised the children?"

"I… Don't know..?"

Rina spots Medina becoming uncomfortable, and interjects.

"The fathers?"

"In most societies, children are raised jointly by their father and mother, with input from the extended family. The structure that Amazons use is… Unique, as far as I know. The closest I can think of is Sparta-."

They all glare.

"Exactly. Is that the comparison you want?"

Medina drops her eyes for a moment.

"So… Felix thought that… We were courting, as if we were to be married."

"Yes."

"And he was willing to have sex with me because he believed that we would raise the child together."

"Ah, actually, he thought you were using a medicine that would stop you conceiving, but-" She frowns. "-assumed that if you did conceive that you would raise the child together."

Karyne shakes her head. "Medina, did you not even mention that you were trying to conceive?"

"I-." She blinks, probably trying to recall the precise conversation. "I said that I wanted children. But I… Suppose that he might have thought that I meant 'at some time, after we are… Married', and not 'this is why I am having sex with you'. I… I think I owe him an apology."

Karyne nods. "Yes."

"But… What does that mean for..?"

"Ideally, the two of you discuss things and come to an agreement- and please bear in mind the cultural differences and don’t assume things- and we present that to the forum as the correct way of handling the issue. If you can't, well… Then you state your positions to the forum and hope for the best, which isn't the best approach."

"No. Ah. If I… Cross through the portal again, will-?"

"I'll ask Princess Diana to invite him to the embassy in New York for the talks."

She nods, slightly relieved.

"Now, are you aware of any other women outside of your marriage group planning something similar? I'd like to get ahead of the problem."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  2. Mr Zoat

24th December 2012
    10:13 GMT +3

"Forum wrangled?"

Kon nods, glancing down towards it from the edge of the palace plaza. "Eventually. Grandma's meeting up with a guy from the State Department to… Start the process of writing up a treaty."

I frown. "I thought they already had one."

"Yeah, but you know it was written for Mom and the occasional visitor."

I shrug. "Sure, numbers are up, but it's not exactly a flood of Amazons."

"I dunno then. They wanted a meeting, and Grandma thought it was a good idea."

"Is this..? After the presidential handover, or before? Horne's still in charge until next year, but I doubt a career bureaucrat is going to enact the old boss's policy when the new boss might just reverse it."

"I guess. But it's like you said, Themyscira's not that big. I guess there's a lot of stuff that the President doesn't need to get personally involved in."

"Yes. Though it would be a nice way for Horne to finish his term."

Kon frowns. "Is Knight being President going to change anything?"

"It might be slightly easier to improve American defence policy. And he gave the impression that he plans on spreading taxpayer cash around the place, so if you've got any investments it would be a good time to review them."

"I mean, about Themyscira. Or Brazil, or Atlantis."

"I don't think so. Brazil, maybe. He made a few noises about thinking that Horne didn't deal with Swamp Thing's attack on Gotham particularly well."

That was how his fairly mild statement was portrayed, anyway. And that's something that he understands and that I've noticed Horne doesn't. But Horne can retire knowing that he did an okay job in trying times, which is all most of us can hope for.

Kon smiles. "I guess as long as he's not planning on attacking any more cities it shouldn't be a problem."

We look at each other for a moment.

"I'll check today." / "You should probably-."

Kon smiles, nodding. "How come he isn't in Brazil?"

"Because he likes Louisiana. Or.. because he thinks that Euanthe and Doctor Isley have it covered. I don't know."

"So, what are you doing for Christmas?"

"Jade couldn't get the time off work, so Alan, Guy and me are flying to the Reach periphery to spend the day there. Her whole squad's going to try eating traditional Earth food, so I'm.. packing extra sick bags. Paula's spending it with the Allen family. You?"

"Grandma decided that… Ah…"

"Themyscira isn't doing Christmas after what happened last year."

"Yeah. So Mom and me are going to spend it with M'gann and Mister J'onzz. M'gann got fed up with him always taking console duty on Christmas."

"So who's on duty?"

"Doctor Mist and Red Rocket. Kinda surprised, but apparently Red Rocket doesn't celebrate Christmas."

"The Soviet Union used to take atheism seriously. And I guess that being posted to Siberia meant that he's used to not getting home all that often. Oh."

I take his present out of subspace and hand it over.

"Happy Christmas. Oh, and-"

An orange shimmer.

"-this one's for Wolf."

"Thanks! I've-" He crouches down and pulls a wrapped box out of his satchel. "-got yours here."

Hm. Cube, about five centimetres along each side. No sound when I rattle it-.

"You gonna open it?"

"No, of course not. Christmas day is tomorrow, that would-."

Kon looks a little guilty as the paper falls off my present to him.

"Though naturally, Themyscira has different customs."

"A.. book? In kryptonese. Ah… Collection, before Vrang, stories? Kryptonian folk tales?"

"The Daxamites weren't using it."

He looks a little awkward. "Did you steal this?"

"As I understand the Daxamite religion, they consider owning information on pre-exodus society as heresy. So no, because it's-"

He smiles, shaking his head.

"-legally unowned."

"Thanks. I'll tell them that when they come and arrest me."

"No, Kon. You say 'I've never seen this before, but some really suspicious Orange guy was hanging around here earlier'."

"Yeah, I'll do that. Have a great Christmas with the Reach."

He hesitates, but I walk towards him instead and we embrace.

"I'll see you when I get back. Have fun with M'gann."

I

step out, homing in on the odd feeling of Swamp Thing's emotions before

appearing in Louisiana.

24th December 2012
    02:17 GMT -5

"Merry Ch-."

He's sitting amongst a series of plants I don't recognise, vines running from them to his spinal area. It's dark, but the area is dimly illuminated with bioluminescent plants.

"Christmas, Swamp Thing."

"Hello, Orange Lantern. What brings you here?"

That was a surprisingly normal couple of sentences.

"President-Elect Knight made noises about being unhappy about Gotham. I thought that I'd check in with you just in case you had other problems you were getting annoyed about."

"No, I'm fine, Tefé is fine, and so is Abigail. Thank you for checking."

"Um."

"You're wondering about this? I once made a bio-computer to try and work out what to do about Sprout. But I didn't know much about magic. Doctor Isley helped me design this. Thinking is far easier, now. I know I should keep my head down. Don't worry about it. Merry Christmas."

I nod, and

vanish.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  3. Mr Zoat

25th December 2012
    13:47 GMT -7

I grin as I jog alongside Sarah, hands prepared to catch her if she somehow manages to overbalance on her new bicycle. Beside me, Luna in pony mode canters alongside Clare as she does the same.

"You know, this reminds me of-"

Sarah wobbles and I'm this close to grabbing her before I remember that she has stabilisers and they're fine, it's fine.

"-when I got my first bike."

"Oh? Do they make them that large?"

"No, no, this was on Earth-. Steer, honeybun, steer!"

She turns the handlebars too far and the bike stops, nearly causing her to tumble over.

As soon as she's stable, she looks up at me in protest.

"Daaaddyyyy! Not meant to do that!"

"Then why did you do it?" I reach down and turn the steering column to a more conservative angle. "Turn it a little bit. You need to keep practicing until you learn how to do it right, then you can keep up with Maeve."

"Wanna keep up with Bethany."

"That will take longer, but I'm sure that you'll get there if you work hard at it. Now, off you go!"

She sets her shoulders with an expression of comedic seriousness on her face and pushes her right leg down, pedalling down the trail. I had the g-gnomes come by earlier to clear off the snow because Colorado, but the surrounding landscape is near-pristine white.

Clare actually stopped to wait for her sister, and Luna looks at me expectantly as we return to our place alongside them.

"On Earth Prime. My sister and I got them the same Christmas, and we cycled around the concrete area of our back garden. Until a moment's inattention from my Granddad resulted in me cycling into a rose bush."

"I somehow doubt that the rose bush came off the better."

"Come on, Luna. You know I didn't look like this on Earth Prime. It actually hurt, and I was moving too slowly to cause the bush any harm in retaliation."

"Didst you revenge yourself 'pon it later?"

"No, it's a bush. Or, was. I outlived it." I frown. "Can't remember if it died before the pond got put in or if it was dug up to make way for the pond, but it definitely wasn't a going concern when I left."

I sigh at the recollection.

"The nettles were-"

"You have a call, Lantern Grayven."

"-worse. Who is it?"

"Director Armstrong."

"Ah. Your superior." Luna cocks her head to the side as she smirks at me. "Perhaps she is contacting you to wish you a merry Christmas."

"She's.. not that thoughtful. I'm.. sorry, can you look after Sarah for a moment?"

Her horn glows as a thin band of midnight blue appears around Sarah's waist.

"Thank you." I stop walking and raise my right hand to the side of my head. "Answer."

"Grayven, what the hell's going on in Atlantis?"

Sinestro, location?

The Department of Metahuman Affairs building in Washington DC.

"Katarina, are you working on Christmas day?"

"America's enemies don't rest, so neither do I."

"That sounds like a good way to have a heart attack in your forties. Look, do you want to do this in person? Colorado's beautiful at this time of year. You could do some sightseeing. Join us for tea."

"Did you know about Arion?!"

I look around as Sunset animates a snowman to chase around a group of local children, to their screaming delight.

"Can you be more specific? I've been having the g-dwarves go through-."

"Don't insult my intelligence, Grayven. That he's in Poseidonis right now."

"You've got sources in Poseidonis? Oh, well done! That can't have been easy."

"Start sharing information or I have your children denied diplomatic status and your pet horse barred from the US."

Oh, she's doing a Jonah Jameson and I'm about to get fired. But she's by and large doing a good job. So I don't point out that I can have her fired and get her job. I don't make the observation that I knew a fortnight ago and she clearly didn't because if she had then she'd have had a go at me about it then.

"A colleague of mine mentioned something about that. So far I'm just observing and waiting."

"You're supposed to pass information like that on to the DMA! It's in your God-damned contract!"

"One moment."

"Don't you dare hang up on me."

"No, I just need to check my contract, because as far as I'm aware the wording-."

"He's the US's Most Wanted. He murdered US service personnel and your Un-Men friends."

"Yees, I kn-."

"And as such, your job is to kill or capture him."

"My job is to improve human civilisation. And right now, my contacts are trying to decipher what King Orin is playing at. Once I know, and know for a fact that we're not going to blunder into the middle of an ongoing operation against an extremely dangerous magician, I will apprise you and inform you what -if any- further assistance I require. Of course, if you want to handle it differently then you are at liberty to do so. Now, it's Christmas day. If there's nothing else, then-."

"You want to carry on teaching your kids to ride bikes."

Hm.

Yes, obviously that was supposed to be a low-grade implication-of-threat, but being fair about it I know what she does every moment of the day. I know who she has monitoring Rifle and none of them are outside the normal psychological profile for that sort of work. Most would abduct or murder my children if they were ordered to do so, but none of them would do it for fun. Nifty thing about having Sam in charge of superhuman defence is that he doesn't believe in free will subversion. Not having to worry about Manchurian Candidate-style attackers is a weight off my mind.

"Certainly. Good exercise, and gets them out of the house. Plus, it gets Luna out and about. Hanging around Canterlot Palace the whole time was doing a number on her haunches."

From about half a mile away Luna's head swivels so that she can glare at me. Luna, I happen to know that the reason why Celestia stopped wearing her golden battle armour is that it doesn't fit any more, a piece of information Sunset shared with me for reasons entirely separate from her ongoing Celestia-related emotional tornado.

"So, anything else?"

I hear the beep as she disconnects.

"Merry Christmas. Hope you liked the pet rock."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  4. Threadmarks: Pete Tong
    Mr Zoat

Pete Tong

29th December 2012
    12:08 GMT

Guy looks at me like he's not sure what to make of that statement.

"You serious?"

I mirror his expression, and wait for him to-

He looks away, shaking his head.

"Why'd I even ask?"

"Because it would normally be a odd thing to claim, and you still haven't fully internalised the fact that we're fairly odd people."

"Okay, but jus' sayin' that yer entire Lantern Corps picked God as an enemy-."

"The Silver City as an enemy, and they picked us."

Because while Hades made peace with them, technically the Orange Lantern Corps hasn't. Which is why Jade couldn't get the time off; worshipping your enemies is generally looked upon as a bad idea. Particularly when your biggest enemy is as good at mind control as the Reach.

Huh. Reminds me of the panel in The Boys where Jessica Bradley tries to work out what would happen if The Boys and The Seven fought. Butcher proved that he could kill Vought superheroes when he killed Payback. Heck, he killed an unnamed team with just a gun before he got super strength. But there's a level of power people like Homelander and Black Noir have that Vought didn't think people could plot around.

Dox aside, the Reach are cleverer than us. They're certainly more unified and more experienced. And it's increasingly looking like that isn't going to matter.

Lanterns have engaged Scarabs a lot in this war. A lot of ex-Darkstars literally can't resist the urge to hunt them down and show them why they're no longer hiding. And while Scarabs have killed Lanterns -stupid Lanterns who got high on their own fumes and decided that they didn't need backup- the results have been very much in our favour. Roughly seven out of ten fights have resulted in Lantern Corps victories. And yes, we're already recruiting the best motivated people and the Reach can stick Scarabs on just about everyone so those deaths technically hurt us a little more, but the Reach don't have anything above Scarabs. Those are their best super warriors.

I don't know what the feelings of the Reach citizens further in their empire is, but for most people, something like that would be a major psychological blow.

"Ya could always talk to Zauriel 'bowd it."

"I'm afraid that the political objectives of N.E.M.O. are irreconcilable with those of a being which declares itself to be 'King of the Universe'. Until such time as the title is formally renounced there really isn't anything to talk about."

"Kgrgahhaha!"

Guy bows his head, and I suspect that only enlightenment is preventing him from getting to experience the joys of vacuum exposure. He manages to open his eyes mid-cackle to see if I'm showing any sign that I meant if as a joke, and finds nothing.

"Oh, man. Ugh. Y'know, it's all in th' delivery."

Warning: will detected.

Guy and I both look up as Lantern K'ryssma arrives early, arriving just outside the outer limits of what was once Reach-controlled space. I wanted to meet up where we first met up seventeen months ago but apparently the location didn't work for her. She makes eye contact with me first, but then looks at Guy in surprise.

"Illustres. I didn't know that you had already begun negotiations."

Guy frowns in confusion, his eyes going from me to her. I'm a little puzzled myself. Guy didn't mention getting a promotion, and I'm fairly confident that he would.

At length.

He reorientates from his 'lying in space' pose to face her.

"I ain't the Illustres."

"The original use for the title was to refer to any Lantern who achieved enlightenment, as you have. The use for the rank in the Corps that does not require that development is a more recent affair."

"Okay, it was." He shrugs. "What's that got t'do with us?"

"My species has been aware of the Green Lantern Corps for somewhat longer than yours. We remember the older traditions. Am I to understand that you are not negotiating?"

"No, we're together for a human religious celebration. What negotiations?"

Lantern K'ryssma turns to me. "Illustres, you have my gratitude for following through on your pledge to push back the Reach."

"You're welcome."

"Indeed. I am here because you have pushed them entirely out of what was once a Sector which the Green Lantern Corps patrolled."

"Ah. And that means that you're allowed to go there now."

"Yes. Moreover, it seems likely that you will push them out of further Sectors soon."

"We're certainly going to try."

"We wish to resume our patrols. I would like to negotiate with the Orange Lantern Corps with a view to making that happen."

"Is this coming from the Guardians? Because-."

"No. it is coming from the Green Lanterns who had to leave their homes in response to the Guardians' treaty with the Reach and who would dearly like to return. The Guardians will not intervene if the parties involved discuss things between themselves."

"Not thinking of jumping ship?"

"No. After many decades of service, I do not think that I could adapt effectively to a new ring colour."

"Okay. And what do we get out of it?"

"Y'get ta have a Green Lantern watchin' yer back."

"But these are Lanterns who already left. And who can't fight the Reach. There's basically no organised crime around here that the Reach aren't connected to at least a little."

"For the most part they would not be Lanterns who-. Who did not fight the Reach. Their rings would be returning while they remain in the crypt."

"You understand that across most of this region, any Green Lanterns who get recruited are going to look to N.E.M.O. for direction. Which is good for me, but I can't see the Guardians liking it."

"Do you think that the Guardians 'like' the treaty with the Reach?"

"I can only assume that they do, given what the Controllers have been able to do with far less time and resources."

Guy puts his right hand on my chest and pushes me away from Lantern K'ryssma a little way.

"Okay, Paul. Dial it back."

"Alright, this needs to go to the N.E.M.O. governing board, but I can guess what they'll want. This is N.E.M.O. space. Any Reach-affiliated or Reach Empire personnel are external invaders. If you want to recruit Green Lanterns here then they better be willing to fight this time."

"That is perfectly acceptable."

5. Mr Zoat

12th Sigmarzeit 2512
    Afternoon

It is said that dwarfs have no word for 'sorry'.

"…because Burri the Short failed to hold…"

That isn't exactly true. The English word 'sorry' can be used in a wide variety of situations, several of which appear quite distinct when viewed objectively. Consider the difference between a 'sorry' used as an apology for bumping into someone in the corridor, then contrast it with someone saying sorry for running someone over with a car and crippling them for life. Or when it's used sarcastically, to indicate that the target is being a big baby about something.

"…logistics make it completely impossible…"

Dwarfs don’t have a way to say 'sorry' for bumping into someone. Even dwarfs with a history of personal enmity will usually let it go so as to not appear physically fragile. Apparently, the closest to a 'sorry' that's appropriate is actually a mildly embarrassing gesture; a trivial penalty for a trivial offence.

"…combed it slightly more often then maybe…"

For a significant injury, the closest to a word for sorry more literally means 'I accept responsibility and will make restitution', though it has a very similar effect. Even angry dwarfs will generally calm down a little when they hear it, if they think that the offer is genuine. There is in theory no injury that can't be paid for with sufficient quantities of gold or other valuables. A grudge will be recorded, but it can be crossed off as 'paid in full' almost immediately.

"…misfired more often…"

I haven't dared ask about sarcasm yet.

"…daughters with false beards-."

"Gentlemen!"

The Longbeards of Stonecutters Clan and Strongaxe Clan suddenly remember that I'm here, their eyes darting my way even as their bodies square up to one another.

Harl Stonecutter is the first to remember to glare.

"What did you call me, human?"

"I called you a 'gentleman'. It's a polite and formal form of address in my society. If you would rather be called something else, I will happily acquiesce. But I fear that we're getting off topic."

Sven Strongaxe jabs his right hand at his opposite number, though fortunately his axe has so far remained in his belt.

"Did you hear what he said about-!"

I raise my hands in a warding gesture.

"Did he say anything about the contract we are here to discuss?"

Sven shifts his glare to Harl. Harl glares back. Sven moves his glare back to me.

"No."

"If he said anything -if either of you said anything- that relates to another grudge held by your clans against a human, I'll be happy to talk to you about it in another meeting. If you have other grudges against each other, those are nothing to do with me. But for now, let us focus on getting this grudge resolved."

There's a certain amount of muttered grumbling, but they both slowly return to their pre-outburst positions.

"Thank you. Now." My eyes drop down to look at the two contracts in front of me, both containing near-identical terms and both embossed with the seals of both clans and with the seal of a now-extinct family of Ostland nobility. "I can find no fault in the contracts and no real difference in their terms. And since I cannot meaningfully trace the inheritors of the Empire side of the contract, it meets my stated requirements for settling outstanding debts."

Another round of muttering, but this time it sounds a little more satisfied.

"The total value for the contact is stated as being fifty thousand gold crowns, and you have both accepted that half of the total payment was delivered prior to the commencement of the work. This leaves twenty five thousand gold crowns owing. I have consulted with High King Thorgrim concerning the usual penalty fees in situations like this, and he advised me that when payment is tardy due to the death of everyone who knew about the debt, an additional ten percent is usually acceptable. Are you both prepared to accept to agree that twenty seven thousand five hundred is acceptable for full payment?"

They glare at each other for several moments. The ten percent thing is normal but it's informal. Since there's no penalty schedule in the contract itself they can ask for a good deal more if they want. But… While they aren't poor clans, neither of them are exactly rich either. That's a nice chunk of cash. And they have to agree on the penalty fee together and they dislike each other more than they do me.

"Aye." / "Yes."

"Good show." I hold out my right hand, a locked chest filled with bags of gold coins appearing on the stone floor next to me. "Would the actuaries of both clans please step forward?"

A small group of dwarfs on each side get a nod from their respective thanes and then walk towards the chest, careful to keep their distance from one another. A click and the locks disengage and the lid lifts up.

"Please perform a full count and confirm that the amount is as required. If I have miscounted, then you have merely to inform me and I will make good the difference."

Abacuses are removed from belts and chalk sticks are raised in anger. Dwarf financial specialists are just as thorough in their area of expertise as dwarf engineers and craftsmen are in theirs.

"Now, as for assigning payment, to my way of thinking there are two ways we can handle this. The surviving copies of the contract don't specify which clan gets what proportion of the payment."

Which hasn't mattered much to the humans involved, but has encouraged tremendous ill-feeling between the dwarf clans involved.

"The fact is that no matter what we might suspect, we don't know exactly who is owed what. I am happy to split the payment exactly in half and pay half to each of you. I-."

I raise my arms as they both start to complain.

"I fully accept that that most likely doesn't reflect the work done by the workers of either clan or the raw materials provided by either clan. I offer it as a possibility because none of us know. That would get the grudge paid immediately, which is why I like it."

And that's why the argument started. It sounded so simple at the start; a surviving written contract with an amount stated upon it. But the receipts were burned and everyone who knew exactly who did what died when the fortification they built was overrun by Chaos-worshipping raiders. Both clans know that the other did at least some work, but without knowing exactly how much they both feel that anything other than all of the money risks the other side getting more than they're due.

Dwarfs. Gotta love 'em.

Neither lead delegate looks happy with the offer. I asked Thorgrim about just paying them both the full value plus the penalty fee and he looked at me like I'd just offered to fart in his mother's face, so that's off the table.

"Okay, before we get off track again, it looks like neither of you are happy about that idea. The other option is that I lodge the coin with King Thorgrim and he has actuaries not affiliated with either of your clans go through your surviving contemporary records in an effort to work out what you're likely to be owed. It won't be the right amount because it can't be, but it will be closer to the right amount than a fifty/fifty split. If you choose that option, you'll both record the grudge as being paid by the humans involved and lay the onus for sorting out the rest with the High King."

"Gentlemen. High King Thorgrim has expressed his desire for grudges to be repaid. I'm offering payment. I get the impression that you want the money you are owed. But no one can force you to mark a grudge as repaid. How do you want this to happen?"

Thorgim's not going to thank me for this one.

15th Sigmarzeit 2512
    Morning

Thorgrim stares at me as ranks of dwarfs on pews all around us begin leafing through the ancient ledgers covering their desks.

"I'll not be thanking you for this one, human."

I look down at the floor.

"Yeah. I know."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  6. Mr Zoat

30th December 2012
    16:14 GMT -5

"Hm-hmmmm-hmmmm hm hmm-hmm-hmm-."

I frown as I pick up the letter in the letter basket inside Jade's flat's door. From the Alliance, apparently. Not sure why they're writing to me. My home address isn't exactly a secret, but I've been spending more time in my own home in Bir Tawil lately. I've had a few people writing to me, but for the most part they don't bother.

That's actually a little sad. I know that letter writing has dropped off immensely since the invention of e-mail, but surely there are at least a few people desperate to write to me? I honestly get more advertising fliers than requests for help.

Quick check for anything untoward-

Letter clear.

-and I open it up. Ah… Oh, the first part of their teleportation array is going to be put into operation tomorrow. When was this-? Ah, yes, I suppose that I haven't been checking the door-. I mean, if I'm just coming here to sleep I just appear in the bedroom, so…

I sigh.

Not only am I invited to the grand unveiling, but they want to give me access to their network just in case I ever need it. I've got a big enough reputation that they think a background check is redundant; I'm clearly not going to use it for cheap holiday travel or anything.

And I haven't RSVPed.

I mean, I don't need it, but it's a nice thing for them to do.

I turn to the second page. The itinerary. It's… Only a couple of hours, start to finish. I should put in an appearance. I mean, I'd honestly prefer it if this sort of international effort was organised by a government, but I spend most of my time in America. The superheroic tradition here is passionately independent, and… So am I. And if the private sector wants to fill a need the government won't, good for them.

Ring, contact Alpha Centurion.

Compliance.

Might be worth me checking in with Blitzen beforehand. I honestly don't think there's any skulduggery going on. At least, no more than in any large organisation. Everyone I've looked at who's joined the Alliance has been pretty well motivated-.

I need to nag Batman about the Small League model again. And probably the others. With another organisation doing the Big League model, the choice of the correct way to organise the League is…

More obvious. Should I give Vincent Edge a copy of the JSI's files? He doesn't seem like the sort to create that sort of organisation, but he's an old man, and the people around him might… Not be malevolent, exactly, but they might want to focus on efficiency at the expense of morality…

I still haven't really worked that one through in my own mind. But I don't think that someone as afraid of Old Testament retribution as he is will go too far wrong deliberately.

"Alpha Centurion."

"Orange Lantern here."

"Ah! You're back on Earth!"

"Yes. Um, sorry, I just picked up my post-."

"Did you know that there's no postal carrier in the world that delivers to Bir Tawil?"

"I didn't, but I'm not surprised. As I said, sorry. If it's not too late, I'd like to attend."

"Not at all. We'd be delighted to have you. Could we persuade you to use the relay system itself?"

"I don't really… Yeah, yeah, okay. I can do that. Are you having problems with people not wanting to use it?"

"A few. You and I both know that the technology is safe, but almost everyone speaks of 'telefragging'."

"When if anything goes wrong what would actually happen is the person being transported and any local matter being turned into an undifferentiated plasma field."

"That's hardly likely, within the confines of a single planet and with a network of towers to regulate the terminus."

"I know. But if it did"

"And they could be knocked down by a car crossing the street. Are you truly concerned about the safety of the system?"

"No, no. It's not the system I would have gone for, but I know it has clear advantages."

Mostly, in that it makes mass deployment from varying locations far easier. The League's more of a 'one riot, one hero' organisation, but if you need teams for everything then it's actually a better system.

"Is this actually the first time that it's been used, or..?"

"Of course not! This just marks it being put into service. We've sent both test samples and superheroes a dozen times now. It would be extremely foolish of us to risk anything going on at the public unveiling!"

"Yes, I suppose it would. So should I just turn up..?"

"Yes, I'll let security know that you're expected. I appreciate you putting in the time."

"Happy to help. Orange Lantern out."

Ring, contact Alan.

Compliance.

"Hey Paul. Forget something?"

"No, I just found out that I've got an invitation to that… Alliance of the Just unveiling, and I was wondering if you were going?"

"I thought I might as well. Everyone on the League got an invite, though I don't know how many are actually gunna turn up. Are you going?"

"Yes. Alpha Centurion's even going to let me go through. I've never been teleported in this exact way before. And if there are any problems, I'm probably the best person to find them."

"True. You know, something like this happening was kind of a dream for me, back in the forties. And now, rather than Captain Comet or Superman doing it, it's Vincent Edge of all people."

"Would you prefer it was Lex Luthor?"

"God, no. And I'm glad that Edge has found religion and straightened himself out. It's just not how I saw it happening."

"Did you ever read that thing I wrote for Batman about structures for the League's expansion?"

"Paul, everyone on the League reads everything you send us. Fool us twice… Let us fool ourselves twice, shame on us."

"Did you have any thoughts on it?"

"That's a worryingly vague way to put it."

"I mean, now that the Alliance has gotten this far, I think that the Small League model is the one to go for."

"A small, elite team? Yeah, I see what you mean. You wanna tell Ollie?"

"If he doesn't want to augment himself, he can just… Be grandfathered in."

"Honestly? I prefer it the way the Alliance is handling things. But if they're doing that then I guess you're right. See you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  7. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    09:23 GMT -5

"Orange Lantern! Blue Lantern!"

Vincent Edge is smiling with teeth that glow a disturbingly brilliant white. I'm not sure if he's had some sort of coating put on them or if they're dentures. Whatever magic defence he had when we first met has been improved enough to throw off my normal scans. Nice to see a man in his position taking his personal defence so seriously.

"Mister Edge."

Alan steps forward to shake his hand. The two of them narrowly missed being adversaries; Vincent Edge only rose to a senior position in his syndicate after Alan semi-retired from superheroism, but there was enough of an overlap in their areas of operation that they'd have been fighting each other if he hadn't.

Alan's actually old enough to be his father. It feels weird to think that.

"Oh, call me Vinny. At my age there doesn't seem much point standing on ceremony."

Ah, looks like Alan thinks it feels weird as well.

"Mister Edge."

He takes my hand, laying his left over the top. "Thank you for coming. Marcus said you wanted to check the place over?"

"I want to check everything over. But I've had a lot of contact with cutting edge super science going badly wrong-. Did I ever tell you about when KordTech gave a chimpanzee invisible power armour and an intelligence augmentation?"

"No, that… That sounds like a barrel of fun."

"Oh, Bobo's a lovely fellow most of the time. It's just that the augmentation messed up his head for a few days. But the point is, it's sometimes worth having someone outside of the bubble taking a look at things."

"Oh, there's no harm in it. Why don't we all head this way, you can give it the once-over. Put your mind at ease."

"Thank you."

There are a few television crews setting up inside, and a few cameras track us as we're led through the briefing room towards the more technically-orientated parts of the complex. Alan and I are both pretty big deals, but the fact is that footage of us isn't exactly hard to come by. Alan spends quite a lot of his time in New York, and… I've been everywhere.

"Do you use a ring terminus..?"

"Oh, no. Technically, this whole building is the terminus. We've got an assembly room; that's where we're holding the demonstration, but that's for when we want to send groups of people together. One little monitor-"

He reaches across with his left hand and pulls up his right sleeve a little way, showing a device built into a bracer.

"-and it can just pick people up and drop them off, no trouble. This thing also monitors vital signs, and it's a smart communicator. Anywhere in the world, if there's any way to get a message through this thing will do it." He lets his sleeve fall. "Cheap, too, and reliable. Uses a combination of computer circuitry and geomancy."

"Sounds useful. Does the Alliance have a commercial development arm?"

"No, no. We're just using it to give the company who came up with it advertising in exchange for using them. It's a sponsorship thing." He glances back at us. "Legal, we checked."

"I'm sure it is."

"Well, it pays to be sure. I'd be an embarrassment if I did all this and then broke the law by accident."

He's not wrong, there.

"Actually, I've been meaning to ask… I doubt that you'll remember if, but… Do you remember meeting my father?"

Alan shakes his head. "I can't say I do."

"Would have been about sixty years ago? You broke his arm after you caught him purse snatching and he drew a gun."

Alan's eyebrows go up slightly at the news, then his eyes drift to the side as he tries to remember.

"I… I'm sorry, nothing comes to mind. If you want to be sure, I can check my old files and see if I wrote anything down that might jog my memory."

"No, no, it's hardly that important. I was just curious."

"Did he straighten himself out afterwards?"

"I've got no idea. He got stabbed to death in prison." Alan looks a little awkward. "Oh, he had it coming. Mean son of a…" He shakes his head. "My mother was better without him. He did teach me one lesson though. Like it says in The Godfather: a lawyer can steal more with a briefcase than a thief can with a gun."

He slows for a moment, touching his forehead with his right hand.

"It was a good lesson to learn in the practical sense. Not the moral sense. I don't know if I'd have gotten a clue earlier if I'd stuck to being a thug like him, or if they'd have buried me next to him in the prison graveyard."

"You turned things around in the end."

Mister Edge makes an amused exhalation. "Not quite at the end, yet. Doctor says I could live another twenty years if I eat right and live clean, and I'm all about that these days. And I… I believe that the Alliance of the Just will be the salvation of my soul."

Not exactly how it works. It's becoming the sort of person who would create something like this that would get him into the Kingdom of Heaven in the Christian sense, because you're judged for who you are and not what you've done. Though I suppose he didn't actually say what religion he practiced. Could be something a little more result-orientated.

"Though if you can both stay after the main demonstration, I'd like you both to meet my sponsor."

"Your sponsor?"

Mr. Edge shrugs. "I was in a bad place, mentally as well as spiritually. The Lord had shown me what awaited me, but… But my sponsor's the man who helped me keep at it. I've got a whole bunch of instincts that come from being a career criminal, and to become the man I want to die as I've had to… I've had to fight them every day."

"Ah. Sure. Sounds like a good man."

"Surely is. You know how it is when you've got a really good preacher, who just makes the lessons click in your head? I didn't have that growing up, but it's never too late."

"I'm afraid I'm a Hellenist, myself."

"Oh, don't worry. He won't be offended. And he told me that he's a fan of your work in particular."

"Ah, I… That's nice. Sure, I've got time to meet him. What's his name?"

"Bruno. Father Bruno."

"Must be a remarkable man to have such an effect on you."

Mr. Edge nods. "Him and the Lord who stands behind him. And…"

He swipes his ID card and pushes the door open.

"Here's the heart of the machine. Check to your heart's content."

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  8. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    09:48 GMT -5

Boots approach from behind me, then stop and wait as I keep scanning.

"Have you found some problem, Orange Lantern?"

"No, no, it's all good." I pull the upper part of my body out of the maintenance hatch and turn to face Marcus. "I mean, it's… Pretty clear that you had a bunch of hyper-cognitive scientists working on this rather than using standardised components-"

"The peril of the cutting edge."

"-so your maintenance is going to be fun, but everything looks like it's going to do the job. Honestly, I'm impressed that you've been able to talk so many people into donating their time like this."

"We owe that in part to you. KordTech's grant program has brought a good many such masters of technology out of their basements and garage workshops and into the light of day. A good many were willing to lend us their aid."

I wince a little. "I know you're doing good work, but… Please tell me that Ted didn't just send you the mailing list-."

"No no-" He shakes his head. "-no. Nothing so untoward. A few chose to join us, and through KordTech they were in communication with one another. Word got around."

I nod, relieved. "I suppose that with everything that's been going on, a lot of people see the advantage of a system like this."

"Honesty, industry and prudence. It is pleasing to see civic virtue displayed unprompted, and used to construct such a magnificent edifice."

"I know. I didn't realise-" I close the hatch and lock it in place. "-that super-architects were a thing."

"I'm not sure about 'super', but a Brazilian man named Helmut Schreiber volunteered his time, and I must say that I'm pleased with his work. Oh, do you know him?"

"We met. If he hasn't chosen to share the circumstances then I probably shouldn't either. But I know he does good work. Is he..? In America at the moment?"

"Brazil has little use for architects… Architects who cannot form buildings from trees."

I nod awkwardly. Yeah. Just because it's useful for humanity to have a superpowered civilisation doesn't mean that plenty of people weren't adversely affected. 'Brazil' technically still exists, but it's a fraction of what it was and it probably doesn't have much use for the sort of buildings that he specialised in. I hadn't realised that the Schreiber family were displaced to America, but it's nice to know that he's found his feet.

"Please pass on my regards when you next see him. Ah, what other site are you using in the demonstration?"

"Seattle."

"Okay, I can go there and check-."

"All we need from the Seattle site is a beacon signal, and if it doesn't work then the transport sequence won't initiate because there's no where for it to go."

True. And my replacement bodies are ready in Bir Tawil if something goes majorly wrong. And if something goes a little wrong then I've got my power rings.

"Alright. Um. How-?"

"Alpha Centurion to control. Two to Seattle, please!"

"So-?"

And… The room is slightly different, and there are a few technicians who weren't there-.

31st December 2012
    07:50 GMT -7

"Huh. Smooth transition."

"Retained all your fingers, I trust?"

I make a show of checking, but my ring reports that nothing untoward happened. Time loss… A tiny fraction of a second longer than the system could manage, but pretty good for Earth's first effort. Extremely good, if I'm being honest. I think it… Yes, it's slightly less efficient than my Dolmen Gates, and… Those can be mass produced far easier. But without the need for paired Gates… No, this system can't be used for global transit due to signal interference, but it is pretty much ideal for its purpose.

"Yep, all there. Mind if I take a look at the inner mechanisms on this side?"

Marcus looks over to one of the engineers, who shrugs and then nods.

"Certainly. We need to be back inside ten minutes, but if that isn't enough you could always come back. But I assure you, they're all built to the same template."

But Seattle building regulations aren't the same as Washington D.C.'s building regulations. The terminus is similar enough that it's clear that it belongs to the same group, but different enough that the people who work here can tell the difference.

The technician who nodded at Marcus unlocks the closest maintenance panel and then steps back so I can have a look. The structure is warded so a general scan isn't going to get me what I need. On the other hand, I've gotten used to having to work at it while I'm on Earth. I can send out hundreds of tiny filaments to perform optical scans of -or as we technical specialists call it 'looking at'- the machinery, performing sonic scans and generally letting me get a idea of what's there.

"Mister Edge mentioned a Father Bruno?"

"Yes, I believe that's his priest."

"Have you met him?"

"I… I think we were introduced at.. some meeting or other. I don't really remember. We practice different denominations of Christianity. But I know that Vincent sets a great store by him."

Everything… Looks like it's supposed to.

"Do you remember Bishop Arius?"

"Ah… No. Should I?"

"I was wondering how big a deal he was in the early church, but if you haven't heard of him perhaps his… Teachings didn't really penetrate."

"Doctrine was far less controlled in those days. A bishop couldn't simply phone the Pope whenever a contentious issue arose. What exactly did he believe?"

"Ah…"

"Oh." He nods.

"Something about God the Father being prior to God the Son, in virtue of that being what the terms 'father' and 'son' required, but I'm afraid that my understanding of the Trinity isn't good enough to fully explain it."

"Yes, that sounds like something which the church fathers would have considered absolutely thrilling to discuss, and which not a single Roman Christian could have comprehended, myself included. I have to say that I've never studied the deeper theory of the religion, and I… I admit that I've long suspected that I'd react to it in fairly pagan terms if I did. Have you..? Satisfied yourself?"

I dismiss my filaments. "Yes, looks good. I'm happy to report that the Alliance of the Just's teleportation system is in good order."

"Excellent." He hesitates for a moment. "It's probably silly, but I'm half expecting something to go wrong just because it's the official event. It would take an insane fool to try something…"

"But we're not exactly short of those on Earth. Well, look at it this way: if they do, they'll be one less insane fool around to bother anyone afterwards."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  9. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    11:15 GMT -5

"…which is why they can't just build thousands of them and do away with the car." The journalists who've clustered around me nod, though Ms. Lane aside I'm not sure how many of them are really taking it in. "But for small numbers of people it's an extremely good system."

"How about for first responders?"

"In the event of a major emergency, it would be possible to bring paramedics in from a city with low demand to a city with high demand. If you mean, just teleporting people to emergencies then that isn't really possible without putting buildings like this just about everywhere. You really don't want beacon-based teleportation to go wrong."

"Is this better than the system the Justice League uses?"

"That's a complicated one. Do you have time to read a four thousand page technical report?"

The journalist in question freezes up a little. "Aaaaaaaah…"

"Short version, the Justice League version can't go wrong, while at its intended level of use this is statistically likely to kill one person a century or so. That's still far safer than taking a plane or walking, and the ability of a reserve force of superheroes to use it will save far more people than that over the same time period. There are a lot of other minor differences, and… There are advantages and disadvantages to both."

A different and less happy-looking journalists sniffs. "Does it cost less?"

"To build or to run?"

"Both."

"Depends on what you count. The Alliance's system requires building large buildings in the middle of major cities. People have been kind enough to just donate the space for a lot of the first generation stations, but if you factor that in then the per-station cost is a lot more than the zeta tubes which the League uses. Even adding on the control system that the zeta tube network needs, putting a new zeta tube somewhere is a lot easier than building somewhere this size. On the other hand, the running costs with the zeta network… It's a little hard to work out how to price it, but the power draw per use is massive when compared to sending the same number of people with this system. They don't exactly pay that because I've donated bleed torsion generators, but if you were looking at market rates per kilowatt hour it would be far higher."

"So wouldn't it make more sense to use one system?"

"Not necessarily. Just like there are advantages and disadvantages to either system, there's a clear advantage in making sure that the two systems can't be disrupted in the same way. The Alliance has kindly offered to let members of the Justice League -and suitably armigerous randos like myself- use their system when necessary."

"And is the Justice League returning the favour?"

No, because that would mean letting everyone in the Alliance know the location of the League's zeta tubes, which are supposed to be in covert locations. And because there's no way Batman would go for it. And because the League's moving over to a magic-based system anyway, it's just slow going due to the comparative paucity of skilled magicians. But I should let them decide how to relay that decision to the world at large.

"That's something that you'll have to ask someone on the League."

"Wait, seriously?" One of the reporters frowns in confusion. "They're blue balling you again this year?"

"I'm afraid that my responsibilities off-Earth mean that it's not practical for me to take a position on Earth. And while Blue Lantern is a good friend of mine, I have no plans to-."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen." Mr. Edge gently nudges a few people out of the way. "I need to borrow Orange Lantern for a few moments. Ah, bar's open."

I nod, and allow myself to be led away as the huddle of journalists begins to break up. Ms. Lane keeps an eye on me as she checks the room for other people to buttonhole. I've never asked if she knows about Hyde Park, or Nabu in general. Or if Kal-El implied some other reason for me not joining up. I'm sure that she realised that my reason was disingenuous, and while the others might brush it off as ego-protection she… Almost certainly knows that it isn't.

"Did I look like I was drowning?"

"No, you looked completely resolute. Which isn't always a good plan."

"I may be wrong but at least I'm consistent."

"I'll take your word for it. But that wasn't why. I told you I wanted you to meet Father Bruno."

"Oh. Yeah. Of course."

We make our way through the throng of journalists, politicians and superheroes. I recognise… Some of them without reference to my ring's database, but the Alliance took the concept of a Big League and ran with it. Someone who wants to be a superhero can in theory just walk into an Alliance office and start volunteering with no independent experience at all. That's lowering the barrier to entry quite a lot, but at the same time I doubt that any of them have the sort of fervour that someone like Batman has.

I'd make a rude comment about them being far better adjusted as a result, but he seems to be doing okay, actually.

"Father Bruno."

I-. Huh. Father Bruno is a.. big bloke, to the point where I'm a little surprised that I hadn't spotted him before. He's a little taller than my own six feet two inches, and quite a bit broader. I can only assume that he's seriously into bodybuilding. Tan skin, black hair and… That's a clerical collar, so I'm going to assume that he's a Christian priest of some sort.

"Vinny. And Orange Lantern."

He offers me his surprisingly large hand and I take it.

"Father Bruno."

Mr. Edge glances around. Everyone appears to be giving us a little space, but he appears to spot something on the other side of the room. "Ah, excuse me, I've gotta grab that guy-."

"Of course, Vinny. The project takes precedence." Mr. Edge nods and then takes off, leaving me with Father Bruno. He looks down on me with an expression of mild curiosity. "I understand that you tested the teleportation system thoroughly. I hope there was nothing wrong."

"No, it all seemed fine to me. It's a good system."

He nods. "Vinny's done an excellent job. This system will be able to help thousands of people."

"Are you involved in the Alliance yourself?"

"I offer counselling to those heroes who need it. As I'm sure you know, it can be a very stressful job, and it helps to have someone to talk to. From the freshest face to… A man like Vinny. He came to me filled with fear of the Lord, but he needed direction in order to do this."

"And you directed him to do this?"

"Not this specifically, but I was able to help him come to understand his place in the Lord's plan. And with this great tool, the Alliance of the Just will unveil the Lord's mercy and sagacity to the entire world."

"Yeah. It's nice to know that some good came out of the Sheeda's attack."

For a moment his face hardens, but it relaxes back a moment later. I assume that they killed someone he knew.

"They forsook the teachings of the Lord and abandoned all virtue. They preyed upon the People of the Lord and so earned his ire." Not just the original vision that was Old Testament, then. "It is through the Messiah and the Lord that man may come to accept his place in the divine plan. And I believe that the Lord has a plan for you."

"I appreciate the thought, but at this point I'm a committed Hellenist."

He smiles. "Men change, Orange Lantern. Men change."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  10. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    12:23 GMT -5

Artemis looks at me askance.

"So… Nothing went wrong?"

"I don't know."

No Catholic priest in America named 'Bruno' matching that description. No Anglican priest either. Or Mormon or Methodist. Smaller denominations don't necessarily have their memberships listed in a simple and accessible format.

"Nothing went wrong with the technology or demonstration that I could see. No one attacked the sites. But there was definitely something odd about Father Bruno."

"Okay, I know you don't have a great relationship with Christianity, but doesn't mean that all priests are out to get you."

"I have nothing but respect for Father Mattias. But Father Bruno doesn't appear to exist."

Not as if there's a law against wearing clerical garb. Or any particular difficulty in getting one made even if there was.

"And Johanna hasn't mentioned him."

"Maybe because he's not suspicious?"

"He said that he did therapy work for the Alliance. And alright, that doesn't mean that he's a qualified therapist, but she's a Nazi raised as a living weapon. I'd give her therapy if she was going to work for me."

"Would you? Because…"

"Hah hah."

"Yeah, 'cause I was joking." She looks at the searches I'm running. "Okay, so maybe he's not a priest. Have you tried just.. searching on a description?"

"No."

"You thought he was suspicious. If he's ever been in prison just about anywhere, he'll be in the database."

"I know, it's just…"

I mean, there are probably plenty of people who fit his description, to say nothing of illusion spells and shapeshifters.

"Okay, ah… Black hair, over six feet tall, muscular build-."

"Ah, didn't you scan him?" She frowns. "Why don't you just put his exact description in the computer and see what comes out?"

"Ah, no, I-. Didn't?"

She tilts her head to the side and puts her right hand on her hip.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"I didn't scan him. Vincent Edge has something that blocks my sophisticated scans and exotic vision, but I've captured visual images of him every time we've met. I didn't scan Father Bruno at all."

"So just get it from your brain."

"Um."

"Paul?"

"Black hair, tan skin, big. Strong. Ask me what his nose looked like."

"Ah, okay. What did his nose look like?"

"I don't know. I spoke to him an hour ago and I don't know what his nose looked like."

"You've got perfect memory."

"I've got perfect memory and I'm trained to resist telepathy." I make a fist with my left hand and hold it out to the side, while I use Larfleeze's ring to project a construct image of the reception room. "Ring, recreate room as of eleven fifteen, play. Also, lantern."

My personal lantern appears from subspace.

"This is my cause, this is my fight,
    Shine through the void with orange light,
    I've claimed all within my sight,
    To keep what is mine, that is my right."

A wave of orange passes through me and the sleepy eye of the Ophidian briefly passes over me before it shuts down. And I watch myself with the reporters, the crowds in the reception area, then Mr. Edge walks over and…

"Did you imagine it?"

"Ring, sound recording."

"I told you I wanted you to meet Father Bruno." There's a pause. "Oh. Yeah. Of course." In my voice, then another pause. Then…

Nothing.

"Ring, where are the sounds?"

"Data not found."

"So I remember there being someone there, but I don't remember anyone other than Mister Edge and me talking to him, and there's no record. Ring, contact Alpha Centurion."

"Compliance."

"Yes?"

"Marcus, do you mind if I take a look at the internal security cameras for the Washington DC branch? I think someone who shouldn't have been there may have put in an appearance."

"Very well. Let me know what you discover."

"Of course. Thank you."

"File received."

"Show me this part of the room."

"View not found."

"Show me every face, and identify."

My ring connects to the mountain's hologram projectors, faces and identities flashing into being. No, no, no… No. No.

He's not there. No one who even meets his vague physical description.

"Ring, contact Alan Scott."

Alan's ring appears above my ring. "Paul? What's up?"

"Did you get introduced to Father Bruno?"

"Ah, yeah. We didn't speak all that long, but he said a few words. About how the Alliance has God's approval."

"What did he look like?"

"You forget already?"

"Humour me."

"Ah, tall. Black hair, tan skin. Big fellow."

"What did his nose look like?"

"Paul?"

"His nose, Alan. What did his nose look like?"

"I… I.. can't rightly remember. What-? What happened?"

"I don't know. But we both need to talk to Mister J'onzz."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  11. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    10:44 GMT -7

"I… See it in your mind."

I don't really like other people rifling through my mind, but I trust Mr. J'onzz's professionalism. And he does have more formal training than M'gann.

**[Father Bruno is a.. big bloke-.]**

Mr. J'onzz winces. "I…" **See…**

**[Father Bruno is a.. big-.]**

**[Father Bruno is a-.]**

**[Father Bruno-.]**

"**Agh.**" Mr. J'onzz's breaks contact, wincing, his flesh shifting shape as he switches back to his default form. M'gann's eyes widen in surprise.

"Uncle J'onn? Are you okay?"

"Yes. I…" He changes back to his human-seeming form, shaking his head. "I have not encountered anything quite like that before. No memory of his precise appearance exists in your mind, but there is no sign that it was removed after you saw him."

M'gann considers that for a moment. "Was he disrupting Paul's short term memory while they were talking so the memory couldn't form?"

Mr. J'onzz thinks for a moment.

"It may be possible, but I could feel nothing to indicate that anyone had touched Paul's mind at all."

"Should.. I have a go?"

"Be my guest."

Mr. J'onzz steps aside to allow M'gann physical access. She flashes me a small and reassuring smile before raising her hands to her temples. Her eyes glow, and-

**[I'd make a rude comment about them being far better adjusted-.]**

M'gann's eyes stop glowing for a moment, and she raises her eyebrows at me.

"I didn't make the comment."

"Hm." Her eyes glow once more. **It still wasn't nice.**

**But it was accurate.**

She ignores that, prodding the memory.

**[Father Bruno-.]**

She breathes in sharply, but soldiers on.

**[Father…]**

I twitch. Rather than try playing through the memory, M'gann is focusing on it, and it's… Obvious like this that the memory is incomplete. The human brain normally smoothes over irregularities, and that's a facility that telepaths take ruthless advantage of. Virtually no one walks around with a missing spot in their visual field that should be there. But right now, she's… She's making me stare at something that isn't there.

**[Father…]**

Eh. Not like I can't just get a new brain if something goes wrong with this one.

**[Father…]** **[Father…]**

M'gann's eyes dim as she shakes her head. "I can't feel anything either. What could it be?"

"My guess would be some sort of mind-effect magic. My rune stone didn't heat up, but…" I smile. "Maybe it did and I just don't remember it."

"Or they prevented you from noticing. Uncle J'onn?"

"You are sure that there is nothing wrong with their teleportation system?"

I nod. "Yes, the machinery itself is fine, and its performance is within the bounds I'd expect based on other examples of similar technology. I…" I shrug. "The place is warded so I couldn't check everything as easily as normal, but that's not a cause for concern in itself. That just shows that they're taking their security seriously."

"Then there should not be an immediate threat. I will speak with Doctor Mist, and we will seek out 'Father Bruno' to discover what he truly is. Have you noticed any lingering ill-effects?"

"No. Should I transfer my consciousness to a new body just in case?"

M'gann frowns. "Doesn't that mean that you have to die?"

"Only for a few seconds. I've got a ritual space set up to ensure that I get my full memories back almost immediately."

Mr. J'onzz shakes his head. "No. Doctor Mist may want to examine you as you are."

I nod. Dying would probably distort most of the magic traces on my body-.

"I have no idea where 'Father Bruno' is now, but I've got the exact location where this happened." Hm. "Everyone on the Justice League got an invitation, didn't they?"

"Yes, but it was decided that sending Blue Lantern as a representative would be sufficient. Several League members -including myself- have given lectures at their training seminars. None have reported meeting this 'Father Bruno', or reporting any sensations similar to what you experienced."

"Hmm. I assume you-. You'd both recognise it if you saw that sort of memory editing again?" They both nod. I take three eye drives out of subspace, putting one on myself and offering the other two to M'gann and Mr. J'onzz. "These are memory backup devices. I realise that it might offend your sense of professionalism as telepaths, but I designed them to bypass certain types of memory alteration."

Mr. J'onzz takes one in his hands and contemplates it.

"Were you wearing one during your encounter with Father Bruno?"

"Not that I remember. I've integrated the technology into my combat armour, but I… I haven't made a habit of wearing one when I'm just walking around in normal clothes."

Feels weird to be wearing glasses again, but rather that than a malfunctioning brain.

M'gann puts hers on her face. "They can't shapeshift, can they?"

"Sorry. It should be perfectly possible to create a martian version, but I never spent the time on it."

Mr. J'onzz nods. "It will suffice. I will ask Vincent Edge for a tour of the Washington facility myself and examine his mind for any irregularities. You should speak with Doctor Mist as soon as possible."

"And what about me?"

"You planned to meet your school friends this afternoon. This is not yet an emergency, merely cause for concern."

"You can come with me if you really want, but it'll probably just involve you sitting there while Doctor Balewa stares at me, then coming home again."

"Okay, but let me know if anything goes wrong. It's been a while since I felt a mental ability I couldn't understand."

"I'll write up a full report when I know what happened. Thank you both for your help."

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  12. Mr Zoat

21st Sigmarzeit 2512
    Late Morning

There's a.. slightly strange-sounding knock on my study door. Honestly, getting any sort of knock on my door is a oddity. I try to keep regular office hours but I've got a lot of balls in the air at the moment, and a Bretonnian peasant's natural reaction to their lord is avoid them as much as possible. The only reason they've taken advantage of the option so far is for me to judge people found to have committed criminal offences; so far a few instances of common assault and one of petty theft.

"Come!"

There's a thud, and Vanda shoves the door open, one hand occupied by a more faunishly proportioned beastwoman and the other by…

"Guarin." A seventeen year old local youth who spends most of his time working the family farm. Thanks to the improvements I've made in the diet of the locals he's already taller than his father, and in as much as I was aware of him it was as a dutiful labourer. "And I don't know your name, miss."

The beastwoman shrinks back, turning her head aside to bear her neck. Vanda looks down, sees her doing in and then makes a sort of frustrated growl-grunt noise. Then she roughly shakes her charge.

"Speak!"

"Aud, Manlord."

"They don't appear to have been fighting." Scan. "Ah." I roll up the report on the progress of the road building program I was reading and set it aside. Really, it was only a matter of time until something like this happened. "Vanda, is Aud a new addition to your herd?"

"Newer than a season."

"And this will be her first?"

Vanda gives Aud a small shake, and Aud nods.

"Why don't you take her to the library, and go through one of the simple books with her, while I have a word with Guarin?"

Guarin gets shoved towards my desk, while the slightly-panicked Aud gets half-dragged back through the door. It's not really… Okay, it is as violent as it looks, but by beastman standards Vanda is a complete soft touch and Aud's not scared so much as unsettled.

Guarin on the other hand is scared, because I made a very clear pronouncement when the beastwomen started living here and he knows full well that he ignored it. Probably on several occasions.

"Guarin, I have good news. You won the coin-toss."

"Lord?"

"When thrown in the air and allowed to fall, a coin will show either one side or the other. In your case, you won, because the child you sired on Aud is a girl. When she grows, she will be just as good-natured and humble as her mother. The other side of the coin would be you siring a beastman. Do you remember what I said I would make anyone who sired a beastman do?"

"Yes, Lord. We'd-. You'd make us kill them."

"And do you remember why?"

"Because they're monsters."

I can heard the unspoken question. "Do you want to know how I know?"

"Lord, it-. You said you were stealing them, Lord."

"From the Gods of Chaos, yes."

"So… I mean… The boys…"

"Guarin, I am trying to learn how to do a great many things. The reason why I have not already taken the beastman species from the Gods of Chaos is that I don't know how to. The beastwomen who live here are still their creatures, they're just not particularly physically dangerous. I am learning to remove the taint of Chaos from them but at the moment any beastman they bear will be just as murderous as its kin elsewhere."

"Yes, Lord. But-but my daughter? She-? She will be well?"

"She'll be a beastwoman. At the moment Aud isn't far enough into her pregnancy for me to say for certain what she'll look like. She had horn stubs, but I can't tell how long they'll be. Aud's far enough along that the chance of miscarriage is relatively low."

He nods.

I take a chair out of subspace and deposit it next to him, then move my own closer to it before sitting down.

He doesn't move.

"Sit down."

He hesitates for a moment, then cautiously navigates to the chair and gingerly sits down.

I take two goblets out of subspace along with a wine bottle, pouring a small amount into each before returning the wine into storage. Taking a goblet in each hand, I offer him the one in my left.

"L-lord?"

"Take it. You're going to be a father."

"Thank you, Lord."

He takes the goblet as I reach out for the folder containing his educational records. He takes a cautious sip as I look through it. It isn't really practical to put everyone through what I consider to be 'normal' schooling, but no one objects to spending a winter's day in a room heated at someone else's expense. According to this, he can read passably well and do basic maths, though apparently he doesn't have the hunger for learning that some of the younger children have acquired.

I take a sip.

"How did you meet?"

"Ah, Lord?"

"You and Aud. Since we have no idea who her parents are, Vanda and I will have to stand in for them at the wedding, and I think I should know-" His eyes widen a little. "-a little more about things."

He nods slowly. "We… We met in the woods, Lord. I was cutting wood for fencing, and she was…" He blushes. "Getting firewood."

"'Getting firewood'. Is that what young people call it?"

"W-? No, Lord, no. It… She said she has… Most of the year, a ewe won't look twice at a ram, and then spring comes around and they find one and brace themselves. She was… Bracing… Herself."

Ah. That's going to be a problem. Beastwomen can reproduce with both humans and any suitable-sized mammal. I'll need to have people keep an eye on the farm pens so that they don't get any ideas.

"And… I…"

"Showed a remarkable lapse in judgement, which is going to be its own punishment."

"She was begging, Lord!" He cringes at his own outburst. "Ah, sorry Lord."

"And later?"

"Lord?"

"Beastwomen are fairly fertile, but I'm well aware that once a person's done something once then they're a lot more inclined to do it again. Did you do her again, Guarin?"

"… Yes… Lord. She's… So.. nice. Gentle-."

I raise my right hand to stop him.

"Guarin, let me be clear. Beastwomen are designed by the Gods of Chaos to be the broodmares for their foot soldiers. Aud knew perfectly well that she wasn't supposed to have sex with anyone who could get her pregnant. And you knew that you weren't supposed to have sex with the beastwomen."

He nods. "I did, Lord. It-. She was just-. Overwhelming. Ah. Is there some-? I don't mind just having daughters, but-. But I don't…"

"Don't want to have to kill your sons?" I nod. "Yes, that's the whole reason I banned it in the first place. But since I have a pair of volunteers, I'll try talking to the Amber College again and see if we can't work out a way to avoid that problem."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  13. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    18:03 GMT

This is the most 'on display' I've felt since Lanterns Natu and Nax physically took me apart. Since there wasn't any particular spell residue on me -and between my spell eater and tattoos that was about what I expected- he's having to go deep. As in, lift the maintenance hatch off my soul and manually test the components.

Not the most fun experience I've ever had.

On the other hand, it is interesting to get a similar view of Dr. Balewa. I'm not getting any real detail of course: he's a god tier wizard and I'm a giant snake's parasite. But I can see the general flow of the energies he's-.

"Thet is a little distracting."

"Sorry."

Like this, I can see the sort of merge point where I shade into the Ophidian. Larger than a normal patron connection, but nothing like as large as I was worried it might be. Dr. Balewa has a similar one to the Life Entity, though in his case it's… Like a placenta: two separate systems exchanging vitality, rather than two brains smushed together haphazardly.

"Ah."

"Ah?"

"I hef found an abnormality, but it is very slight. I do not know if it is what has caused your memory difficulty, but..."

A pearl of white light appears in front of him, some sort of faint… Smoke? Contained within.

"What is it?"

"I do not know. It is a strange thing. It is like… Not a thing in itself, but the shadow of a thing. Perhaps even less than that. If I had to guess, I would say that it is simply marking a place, perhaps to guide an external force later."

"Mister Edge made it clear that they were using magic as part of their tracking and communications system. Is it part of that?"

"I would guess thet it is not. I am familiar with the simple geomantic systems they are using, and this is quite different. It is not a residue left by exposure to a distortion in the world's magics. It is something… External. It is not something that the practitioners which the Alliance of the Just can call upon would use."

"Are you sure? There are some very incautious magicians around the place."

"Incautious in their communications and treaties with demons. This is not demon magic. I do not know-."

The smoke wafts, as if blown from the centre of the spell bubble and pushed against the side. There's a slight shimmer, and when it calms the smoke is gone.

"Odd."

"Did you mean to do that?"

"I did not do thet. The energy received no external instruction. It appeared to be a natural reaction to the power of life."

"Do I have any more in me?"

"Not thet I could find, but it did not respond in a normal way to my efforts to detect it. I had to manually examine everything about you in order to see even thet much."

"Doesn't respond..? So I can't just go FEED ME and get rid of it?"

"I do not know for certain, but I would guess that any such energy that could survive connected to your conjoined soul would not be affected by your efforts to speed up the process."

"But would it be dangerous?"

"I cannot say for certain, but if you take into your gut something that you cannot digest…"

"Right. Great. Think I should get Hinon to take a look as well?"

"If the sample had survived and we had something to show her, then I would say 'yes'. As it is, what would you say?"

"Not sure. Have you finished poking me?"

"I have."

And… Re… Com…

Pile.

Ugh.

I let the orange light flow through my body, not really 'fixing' anything per se, but definitely making me feel better. That's my sort of glowing light, not whatever that weird shadow stuff was.

And 'weird shadow stuff that doesn't interact with other energy' doesn't ring any bells. Stuff has to interact with other stuff. That's how magic and conventional matter work. Even kaahuite interacts with other forms of matter and energy, and that's literally outside of Creation. So the idea that it doesn't, particularly after it was unmade by Dr. Balewa's magic, sounds like nonsense.

Dr. Balewa's magic.

"Doctor?"

Dr. Balewa opens his still glowing eyes on the other side of the ritual space.

"Yes?"

"I know it looked like the shadow destroyed itself, but if whatever it was is as good at parasitism as you're saying, are we sure that it's not just in you now?"

His eyes return to normal.

"Thet is disturbingly possible. But if it is attracted to my magic, then I should be able to draw it out of myself by deliberately weakening myself in the presence of a stronger source of power."

"I don't think we're working to a deadline, here. It's best that we learn everything we can before trying to confront whoever Father Bruno really is."

"What makes you certain?"

"People who sign up with the Alliance of the Just are generally well intentioned, but most of them are part timers. The teleporters aren't going to see major usage until the end of the New Year holidays. Probably the weekend after. If they're important in some way, that's when whatever's happening will happen. And if they're not, and Father Bruno's just… I don't know, manoeuvring for position, then we don't even have to worry about that deadline. He'll just be gradually moving towards whatever his victory condition is."

"Thet makes logical sense, but why would he speak with you at all?"

"Two possible places I came into contact with whatever that was: the teleporter and Bruno himself. Alan came into contact with both as well. But a lot of other people in the Alliance would have used the teleport… Er. Um."

"Yes?"

"Did..? You check those… Alliance members who died for whatever that was?"

"I did not."

"It just.. occurred to me that.. if they were exposed in some way…"

"I do not know if anything would remain after all this time, but you are right. It would be wise to check."

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  14. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    13:34 GMT -5

"…for New Year."

Mazikeen schools the visible half of her expression as she studies me in a way that I've long become accustomed to. I call it the 'is this fool actually serious' glare, and it never works on me because I always am.

"You're going to keep doing this until I say 'yes', aren't you?"

"I assume that you'll die eventually, and at that point I'll stop. The universe does have a finite lifespan."

"Of all the.. pacts-. This is the deal you wish to make. I appear in New York, partake in a meal with you, remain as the year changes and then I am free to depart."

"There will be other people there. And you don't need to treat it like some great task you're being bound to perform. I want to get to know you."

"And you want nothing else."

"Ah…"

She actually smiles.

"It's not conditional. I do genuinely want to get to know you as my larger half's daughter. However, I recently encountered a strange magical influence that… You know I've got a pretty good set of contacts, yes?"

"Do you want me to unpick a curse for you, 'father'?"

"No, I could handle a curse myself. Even the clever ones. I was just wondering if, given your long and varied experience, you might recognise whatever this is. I don't even need you to do anything about it, just tell us if you recognise it and give us a hint if you do."

"And what do you offer in exchange?"

"I'll take you to Maltus and introduce you to my better half. And explain to her what you are and how that relationship usually works. I don't know how she'll react to that, but it occurred to me that you might be interested."

"No power ring?"

"I realise that as a Lilim you're more anchored in the physical than a lot of Heaven South's residents, but would you..? Really want one? I mean, heck, I don't mind. Dox always wants more magicians for the Corps. I just assumed that ruling a circle of Hell was something you'd.. want to keep doing. I mean, with… Xalitan back in the Reach Periphery I do have an opening for a partner. It could be a good way for us to get to know each-."

"Never mind. Yes, I will attend your festivity and yes, I will examine this new magic for you. Lucifer showed me many things that never made it into Creation and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them escaped their prison."

I smile. "Great!"

I reach forward with my right foot and use the sole of my boot to erase a segment of the magic circle.

"Come on through."

She looks down at the scuffed chalk mark, which completely breaks the confinement spell.

"How are you still alive?"

"I've died twice!"

"Do you understand how insulting it is to imply that I am so weak that you don't need any sort of binding spell to restrict my actions on Earth?"

For a moment I consider making it a joke. 'Is it more or less than walking into the circle and sticking a dummy in your mouth' or something similar. But that would only serve to alienate her further.

"I don't think that you're weak. But I'm not some random magician. I have a reasonable track record against high end arcane life forms, and we're on good terms anyway."

She makes a quiet growling noise and then stalks out of the chalk diagram. "If anyone asks, you offered me a dozen virgins."

I raise my eyebrows as I see her relatively simple dress shift shape into something artful in gold and black, her small half-mask growing into something fit for a masquerade.

"What species?"

She ignores me.

"Because depending on what counts, all fish-."

"Where are we?"

"You remember that business with the demon-possessed handguns?" She nods. "The human who was carrying them, Ms. Jill Carlyle, had a provision in her will that she wanted to donate her body to science. And that ended up being thaumatic science, because we still don't really know what the heck was going on with her."

"After two months?"

"Sadly, frustrating as it is for everyone involved, sometimes there just isn't any evidence. We can legally request access for any sort of arcane study-"

She half-turns her head to look at me-.

"-and when I say 'we', I mean Justice League members and allies, not the Noble Emissaries of the Loyal Opposition."

I erase the chalk diagram behind us as we walk into the examination room where Dr. Balewa is getting ready. Ms. Carlyle's body is as… Intact as the bullets left it. The morticians tidied it up as much as they could, but when someone shoots themselves in the head from point blank range, there's… Only so much you can do. Jars containing other biological materials -blood, brain and bone fragments- are also stored here, but we're going to be trying this with the main body first. The rest of the brain was also removed, because with the giant hole in the skull it would just have… Plopped out, otherwise.

Dr. Balewa looks at her. "Thank you for coming, Mazikeen."

"I think that ignoring my father's request would be more trouble than going along with it."

I nod. "Probably. Um. Do you want me to stick her skull back together? It's not that hard to work out what it should look like, based on the recovered fragments and her DNA."

"No. Not for now."

He extends his hands towards her corpse, faint white mist drifting from them to her chest.

"I doubt that you'll feel anything but the most powerful influences after two months."

"I used spells to isolate her from external influences. She is much as she was. Please, examine her yourself."

Mazikeen walks closer, placing the long nails of her right hand in the middle of Ms. Carlyle's forehead. Then she curls her fingers, nails cutting a shallow furrow in the skin. Magically preserved blood oozes slowly from the wound, and Mazikeen scoops a small amount up and then brings her fingers up to her eyes for a closer examination.

"'The darkness came'. I see what the demons in her guns meant."

Dr. Balewa nods. "A grievous spiritual injury. But it is hardly unique."

I reknit the corpse's skin and return the residual blood to the body.

"Okay, but-."

BOOM!

A boom tube opens in the far corner of the room, and my armour appears around me!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  15. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    13:38 GMT -5

Armourconstructarmourrailgun-.

Scott Free stumbles through, clutching his head!
    Freedom is a Hamster Wheel.
    "Mister Free?"
    Round and Round with No Escape.
    His costume is slightly battered, though he doesn't appear to be seriously injured. His Mother Box is on his utility belt, and.. looks fine? Reaching out with-
    You Don't Look and You Don't See.
    Oh. Yeah, he's clearly not human.

-my eldritch senses, I see… Something, trying to attach itself to his metaphysique? It doesn't look like the mist that Dr. Balewa found in me, but there's clearly… Something wrong with him.

Dr. Balewa gestures, and white mist rises from Mr. Free's skin. He collapses to the floor, curling into a foetal position and wrapping his arms around his chest like he's trying to clasp his hands behind his back.

The stuff attacking him is flowing with the strands that make up his metaphysique, aping them, acting like it's a part of the structure. More than that, it looks like the energy that Dr. Balewa just tried to use to cleanse him is… Trying to more fully merge it-.

"Stopdoingthatstopdoingthat!"

He clenches his hands into fists, ending his spell. "I do not-. Mazikeen, do you know this?"

"Which part?"

Okay, okay, the engraftment points. It fits naturally, but I should be able to… Introduce something unnatural.

Given that he grew up on Apokolips, I shouldn't be surprised that he doesn't really want to be a god. But what if he did?

What if I just… Add a little…
    One Foot in Front of Anoth-.
    Desire.

Orange light sparks across his metaphysique, drawing on what's already there and shifting it. I mean, if I was picked by the Source to be the New God of Freedom, I like to think that I'd have done a little more with the office than he has. And… Yes, as I change things the whatever-it-is starts losing its grip, floating free and being drawn to the white orb that Dr. Balewa has set up.

"And now? Do you recognise it now?"

Okay, but what happens if I turn the areas I've changed back into what they were before-. The mist just… Reappears, already connecting to the parts I just cleared.

"Where did that come from?"

"From heem."

Oh. Oh dear.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

Okay, so the New God of Freedom is apparently spontaneously creating something fundamentally contrary to the concept to freedom. I alter him once more, mist flowing off and into Dr. Balewa's orb.

"Mazikeen, you don't have to-"

And this time I don't hesitate or undo my own work. No, I twist and warp, reconnecting certain impulses so that he'll think of his aggressive and godly actions in more positive terms. I tie in a desire to be a god and rebuild his desire to be a normal man into a desire to be able to be a normal man. Nothing contrary to his nature, but it's all helping get rid of the miasma.

"-contribute, but you'll be getting coal for all the Christmases we missed if you don't."

Okay, that's… Most of it. He no longer has any desire to not be the freest god that he can be, pushing barriers and helping others do the same. I've radically altered his character, and he's… He's looking a little better. He's awkwardly rising to all fours, and-
    Freedom Is Absolute
    -my changes are gone and he's glaring at me from the floor.

"What did you just do?"

"Got rid of whatever the heck that was."

I glance at Dr. Balewa's binding spell.

"You were producing that. And a little while ago I had that inside me too. What is it?"

"It's Anti-Life."

"Oh. Shit." I frown. "But I'm… I've encountered the Anti-Life before. It's never done anything to me. I just.. hear it talking nonsense, and that's it."

Mr. Free pulls himself upright, clearly wrung out.

"And you thought that was it?"

"Yeah? I've put a lot of effort into fortifying myself against that sort of thing, and it looks like it was paying off."

"That's not it. That's-. That's not it at all." He reaches up, pulling his mask off his face. "That's just a simplest way of using it. With someone who understands it properly, they can reach into you and they… They don't need to overpower you. They can work off what's already there, the weaknesses that already exist in your… Soul."

He stares me in the eyes.

"What did you see?"

"Something about… Freedom not really being a thing if you just kept doing the same thing and ignored everything else?"

"There's more to it than that. It's the idea that… Freedom doesn't matter if you don't use it. You can be free and still… Plodding along in the way you would be if you were a prisoner. Because the prison isn't just in the material world, it's in your mind and soul. Because the prison… Someone imposes on you is much weaker than the one you make for yourself."

"I didn't feel anything."

"Where did you get exposed?"

"Probably the Alliance's teleportation system. But I checked it thoroughly-."

"Did you check for New God technology?"

"No, I… Can't actually do that."

"I did. I don't know where they got it from-. Barda didn't get away."

"Where?"

"Some place in Hub City. I thought I felt another New God around the place. They… I guess they got the drop on us."

"Do you know anyone who could do this? Other than-."

"Darkseid."

"He's on Earth?"

"I doubt it, but maybe? I can't think of anyone else. I need to get back-."

"We need to muster the League. If Darkseid is here, or if someone has corrupted the Alliance, it will take our full strength. I will speak to Betman now."

"And I need to talk to Alan."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  16. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    13:55 GMT -5

"You're saying that I've got something like that inside me?"

Alan looks concerned, though not actually worried, as he watches the glowing ball of magic surrounding the mist taken from Mr. Free.

"Not as much as that, but probably."

"And that'll do… What?"

Mr. Free looks up from where he's been using his multi-cube to repair his costume. This room wasn't really intended for the number of specialists we've brought into it, but we need to go somewhere and if those of us who've touched the stuff can be tracked in some way… It's best that we not look like we've moved.

"It connects you to the Anti-Life. People who've been using the Anti-Life on Earth have been using single concepts. It twists the minds of anyone near it to agree with it, but it can be resisted." Alan nods. "That's not what this does. This is-. It's more like the broadcasters on Apokolips. You hear every part, and if there's something that chimes for you, that's what you get. Orange Lantern, Blue Lantern, Doctor Mist, you're all vulnerable. I…"

He looks at Zauriel.

"I don't know about you."

Zauriel smiles. "My mind is not so small that I cannot doubt. There are avenues of attack which the Anti-Life could use."

"If they exist, it'll use them."

Batman nods. "How do we block it?"

"The Alliance of the Just have it tied to their teleportation system. Stepping foot inside their new buildings will result in it being inflicted upon you. And you will also be teleported ehway. I had thought that blocking the teleportation acquisition system would be simple, but if what Scott Free says is true, they may have access to New God technology. Thet…" He shakes his head. "I cannot be certain."

"Is the Anti-Life effect immediate?"

Mr. Free shrugs. "I don't know. It was for me, but I got a dose right from the source. Orange Lantern had it for hours and didn't realise anything was wrong."

Batman's eyes move in my direction.

"I compared my behavioural baselines before and after. No change."

A small nod, and his eyes move back to Mr. Free.

"Can everyone affected be exposed to the Anti-Life at once?"

"I don't know. On Apokolips, yes, but they've got a whole lot more equipment. And the Alliance's teleportation centers aren't broadcasters; those are very recognizable."

"Are you certain that Darkseid is on Earth?"

"No. I just-. That's what he can do. And I can't imagine him sharing that ability with someone else. They'd be a threat to him, his control. On the other hand… Yeah, there isn't much that's stopping him just turning up on Earth one day. He doesn't usually do things like that because it's not a good use of his time, and… We should be seeing a whole lot more than we're seeing now if he was actually here."

"And Canis wouldn't be able to shut up about it."

Batman nods again.

"Whether it's Darkseid or not, we still have to prevent the spread of the Anti-Life. Zauriel, can you destroy the mist?"

Zauriel opens his mouth and the background sounds of the room vanish for a moment. Then both Dr. Balewa's spell and the mist are both gone.

Zauriel nods. "As I thought."

"How did you manage thet?"

"I reset that portion of reality to the 'default'. Since the mist-like substance had no soul of its own it could not resist. It is… Not something which I can teach you. And I do not think that my song would work as a defence in any other circumstance."

Batman looks at Dr. Balewa. "It's gone completely?"

"So far as I can determine, thet is so. But since I do not know the mechanism by which it spreads, I cannot say thet it was not recalled by its creator."

Mr. Zatara, who had been listening quietly next to Angelica, steps forward.

"I should check whether my particular abilities work against it."

Alan nods. "Apparently, I'm infected too. Take your best shot."

"Tsim fo eht Efil-Itna, traped!"

Alan frowns, then shudders as the mist rises through his skin for a moment before being sucked back inside him!

"Are you al-?"

"Traped! Traped dna od ton nruter!"

This time the mist only rises grudgingly, floating on the surface of his skin rather than leaving him. Mr. Zatara keeps up his effort for several seconds as the strain makes him grimace and sweat, before sagging and lowering his hands.

The mist immediately re-enters Alan's body.

"I am.. sorry, Alan. I cannot do it."

Alan nods, staring at his own body for a moment. Yeah, Giovanni Zatara's ability makes him a remarkably capable and flexible magician despite his minimal formal training, but his peak power output isn't all that great. Not compared to his colleagues Dr. Balewa and Angelica. He might be able to improve that, but when exactly is he likely to be able to find time to do that sort of self-study?

Dr. Balewa conjures a new white orb while Batman turns to me.

"Can you destroy the teleporters without collateral damage?"

"I don't want to say entirely without, but it should be simple enough. The sites have a standard design, and I don't need to physically enter the building to shoot at it." I shrug. "Just trigger the fire alarm first. Might be a problem with Alliance members afterward, particularly if they're Anti-Lifed. I could call Alpha Centurion first?"

He considers it. "Doctor Mist. Could you use their system to remove it from people more efficiently?"

"Perhaps? I…" He frowns. "No. I do not believe so. The magic aspect of the teleportation system is in the guidance rather than the transmission. It would be no easier for me to use it than it would be to use any other structure."

"In that case we can have Flash or one of the Lanterns bring the victims to you." He focuses on me. "Preventing Father Bruno infecting anyone else takes top priority. We can smooth things over with the Alliance afterwards."

"Understood. Just tell me when and where you want me."

"Mister Miracle, is the core of the system in Washington or in Hub City?"

"The teleportation network doesn't need a core. But New God technology needs a New God to be… 'Plugged into'.. it. And an Anti-Life control system wouldn't exactly be small. If Orange Lantern didn't see something he didn't recognize in Washington then it's probably not there."

"Doctor Mist, Zauriel, Orange Lantern. Go to Hub City with Mister Miracle and try to locate the control system. Orange Lantern, be prepared to need to attack other locations at any time. I'll brief the rest of the League."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  17. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:06 GMT -5

"This is the last place I remember seeing her."

Scott Free brings his aero-discs to a stop above a disused industrial site. A confluence of intent between the 'Burn Hub City' campaigners and the Sheeda resulted in what little life there was in the city being strangled during their occupation. Perhaps worse, the destruction of a harvest ship not too far from here has resulted in the region being partially Sheeda-formed. The closest example of Sheeda-life is a colony of maggots living in a storm drain about thirty metres from our position, but there are bigger and badder things around.

Which is why the region… Can't really call it a city. It doesn’t offer enough high-order services anymore. It's having a small amount of revitalisation. Mostly because the larger criminal groups have moved away, and partially because both the government and private collectors will pay a lot for Sheeda technology, including biotechnology. And at the same time, the few people who still choose to live here need protection from the monsters squatting in the ruins.

"What exactly happened?"

"I wish I knew. Though it might be better that I don't."

Zauriel lands and crouches to lay his right palm on the ground.

"An… Absence."

"Is it an absence you can track?"

"I fear not, though I would recognise it if I came upon it again."

Mr. Scott waves around his multi-cube. "No boom tube. I'd have thought that I'd have heard it, but it shouldn't be that easy to creep up on either me or Barda."

"Is Darkseid slow on his feet?"

"I don't think so. He's monstrously strong. But I've never seen him run."

"You said that New God technology needs a New God running it. Do you think that's why he took Barda?"

"No. Darkseid has plenty of New Gods he could command to take control of it. I think he took her because she used to be his and he thinks it's wrong that things can ever stop being his."

"How much does he weigh?"

"I have no idea. Footprints." He nods. "He can't fly by himself, and though he's got a flight system built into his armour he usually walks."

"Slowly and purposefully." I nod. "He doesn't want to seem to be reacting to his opponents. He needs to be seen to be in complete command at all times."

"I can't think of a time when he wasn't. Sometimes I thought that he stayed on Apokolips because he couldn't be so in command anywhere else. And then I got hit by the Anti-Life and it was like I'd never left the X-Pit, so I guess that was nonsense."

Zauriel lays his right hand on Mr. Free's left shoulder.

"In God, whose word we praise, in God we trust; we will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to us?"

"Zauriel, I'm no more mortal than you are. And he's even less." Walk From Was.

"Zauriel, was the Sword of the Fallen actually destroyed, or did the Kings just say they destroyed it while they actually kept hold of it?"

"If they spoke an untruth, they would not have been so foolish as to inform me when I would be in proximity to you."

That's a fine point.

"Could you please notify them that if they made use of a 'social untruth', I'd really appreciate it if they could coincidentally find a sword just like it. The paint could be wet and I wouldn't complain."

"I will relay your message. Doctor Mist, have you been able to locate our target?"

"There are places where the world is… Tilted. They may be signs of the Sheeda, but it is also possible that they are locations where there is New God technology."

He raises his right hand, and an illusory map of the region appears with a handful of areas highlighted. Mr. Free looks it over, and then points.

"We already tried there and there. Maybe we set something off, but we didn't see anything."

"Zauriel?"

"The energies of this place are already so discordant that I can hear nothing more amiss."

We reach out, flicking our tongue to taste the air. Anti… Life. Yes, we taste it, the miserable negatory black that would snuff out our light. But where is it-.

"We're going about this wrong. Doctor Mist, could you enshroud this whole city?"

"A reasonable idea, were not the Sheeda creatures magic-eaters. Detecting a distortion would mean little."

Vexing. Then where are the cut threads? Where did people stop living for themselves and start living for another? When did they lose self-derived motivation and begin to just go through the motions out of habit?

Strangely, it's not… Obvious. There are disruptions that we can taste and they share enough of a flavour that we judge that they share a cause. But if they are Anti-Lifed… It is nothing like the people we have seen who have been Anti-Lifed before. Not yet active? Or perhaps it is because it is bound to their personality rather than overriding and crushing it. We open our mortal eyes and look at the map. And we point.

"We do not know if it is what we are looking for, but there is something that should not be here. This… Place… Tastes foul."

Mr. Free nods. "The Anti-Life will do that. Did you taste Barda at all?"

We… I shake my head.

"Sorry. Normally, I'd be able to tell, but with this… Novel Anti-Life use, I'm not sure about anything. Um." I look over his equipment harness. "Do you want a..? Gun or something? I've still got some New God equipment from Kahndaq?"

"No, I'm going to be trying to free people from the Anti-Life. Having to use a normal weapon would be a distraction."

"Alright."

Zauriel, Mr. Free and I take to the air, while Dr. Balewa just vanishes. It's a relatively short flight to the former apartment building he and I highlighted, though I take the time to bombard the maggot colony with white phosphorus along the way. Their agonised screeching is satisfying to hear, and hopefully will encourage other Sheeda-life to bury itself a little deeper.

"Mister Miracle." Zauriel sort of frowns with his eyes. "You are correct in your assertion that your divine empowerment will make freeing any of Darkseid's victims far easier. However, I have noticed that you appear reluctant to use your abilities."

"I wouldn't be much of a God of Freedom if I told people how to live."

"It is more than that. You are an aspect of the Source made manifest. You cannot be what you are afraid of becoming."

"Yeah, I'm with Zauriel. I could see how uncomfortable the idea makes you. Quite aside from anything else, it's an avenue of attack for the Anti-Life."

"Don't worry about that. The Anti-Life always finds a way. That's why it's so terrifying."

Zauriel shakes his head as we come into land.

"The only omnipotent power is the Most High. Everything else is merely deception, and you should reject it as you have rejected Darkseid."

"I'll take it under advisement. How are we getting in?"

I make a crumbler battering ram construct.

"Like this."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  18. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:11 GMT -5

The dully incurious front desk attendant blinks at us as we walk or fly through where the front wall used to be.

"Yeah?"

I look closer. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I can see where the Anti-Life has engrafted upon his soul. It's not a great deal: he's a Hub City native and at this point I'm mildly impressed that he's functioning at all. But it's there.

"Doctor, one for you."

"And… Someone's probably gunna yell at you about that door."

Mr. Free looks at him as Dr. Balewa marches closer. "He feels like a Lowly."

The man manages an awkward smile. "You work a reception desk too?"

Dr. Balewa raises his right hand, the man's eyes rolling back in his head as he goes limp in his chair. The familiar mist rises from his body for a few moments, then Dr. Balewa offers it to Zauriel who sings it into nothingness.

"I needed to strengthen his spirit so that the separation did not kill him. We should be aware of thet for all future victims."

Mr. Free nods as I study the ceiling above us. "Does that mean he's been like that for a long time?"

"Thet would be my guess."

"Look on the bright side."

Orange streamers shoot upwards, punching through plaster, wood and steel. Where they encounter flesh they wrap around and bind the owner. Can't scan a thing here but the upper part of the building at least doesn't have any actual construct disruptors.

"This means that when we finally kill Darkseid, we can fix the Lowlies."

"That-. Yeah, that is actually kind of uplifting. I can't see it happening-."

"Sure you can. New Gods live indefinitely, right?"

"Unless something kills us."

I tear a hole in the ceiling and begin conveying the people I've grabbed down. They're dressed as office workers, but I've only found eight, and that's far less than the number a building this size would normally house.

"In a circle, if you please."

I deposit them around him, mist already rising from them as he starts his spell. None of them are really resisting, only pulling back slightly when the tendrils first touched them.

"Then it's inevitable that you'll see it, because he's the next target after the Reach."

"You… Shouldn't say things like that out loud. And not because of any sort of narrative rules; I'm pretty sure Darkseid can actually hear it."

"I'm sure he's heard it before."

A quick anti-note from -heh- Zauriel, and I stack the newly liberated office peons behind the reception desk.

"That doesn't mean he won't send someone after you."

I send ribbons of orange light down, through concrete and-.

And they fizzle out.

"I don't wear glowing orange clothes because I'm hiding, Mister Miracle. There's a construct disrupting effect below us."

Dr. Balewa gestures upwards and a circle of floor crumbles into chunks which float upwards and form a ball in the air. Floor tiles, concrete, wires and ceiling tiles fly out of the hole until the spell ends with our path cleared.

"You should probably let me do that. You need to conserve power to purge people. I can keep going until we actually hit the construct disruptors."

"I am extending my power through the building. This does not drain me; it makes my power more readily available."

"Ah, alright then. Thank you."

I drift towards the hole, but Zauriel holds up his right hand to stop me.

"If your constructs are unreliable, then I am the most resilient among us. I should take the lead."

He draws his sword, which burns with golden fire.

"As you will. I'll go second."

He does a semi-flap, drifting over the floor and descending down through the hole.

"None are here."

I fly down after him. Emergency lights only, most of the illumination coming from Zauriel himself. Lockers line the walls, and ring scans show them as mostly empty. I open each of them just in case, but the scan was accurate.

Mr. Free comes down next, wincing slightly.

"New God technology. This whole area's connected up to something."

"Can you turn it off?"

"Ping."

"No. Not from here. We'll need to find the core, and whoever's controlling it now."

"Bottom level?"

"Or close by."

"Then allow me."

The flooring vomits itself up and we go down again. A relatively normal looking workshop, somewhat disused, a layer of dust covering the machine tools. And again, into a laundry, washing machines and dryers partially dismantled. The next level-.

My constructs shimmer and fail as I see a chirurgical suit. My armour registers the presence of cleaning chemicals in the air, and without a ring scan I can't easily identify biological residue. So at least they cleaned up after whatever horrifying experiments they performed were complete.

Zauriel bows his head for a moment.

"Mister Miracle?"

He closes his eyes for a moment. Where There Is Need.

"I think… This way."

He floats towards the door to the west, Mother Box pinging as it unlocks the security door. He pushes through, hands at the ready-.

Ah. This part of the building is very clearly New God technology. Strange colours, arcs and tron lines replace the more human textures of the rest of the building. Mr. Free flies faster, down a corridor and through another security door. All Are Free Or None Are.

And there's the central hub. Strange technology, at least two-. No, three, people visibly wired into it. That's Victor Sage, naked and with pieces of Apokoliptian technology piercing his flesh in a dozen places. A young woman I immediately recognise as Anita Fite. Her body appears to be intact, and is covered in a chirurgical gown. Her head has not been so fortunate, and several cables appear to be plugged directly into her skull. Her mouth is moving weakly and her eyes stare at nothing. The third 'person' appears to be the upper part of Black Orchid's body.

Mr. Free looks the horrifying assemblage over, then shakes his head.

"I'll get to work." Freedom Is The Right Of All Sentient Beings.

"No. You won't."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  19. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:15 GMT -5

Now that feeling I know; that's Anti-Life. I don't know what nonsense it's about to try to convince us of but I'm pretty sure that we're all immune. And my rings may not be able to generate constructs down here but their AI can still monitor my behavioural baselines and trigger my armour's computer to fly an emergency escape.

Objective check. I can destroy this machine by slapping it with crumbler gauntlets. That will probably kill Mr. Sage, Miss Fite and Orchid, and deny us information we could get by studying it. But it would slow down whoever-this-is's attempt to Anti-Life the planet. A couple of weeks ago I might well have just done it, but now I'm hesitating.

Getting them out in a rush is impractical. The plugs in Miss Fite's brain would probably kill her or at the very least cause hard-to-treat brain injuries if not removed with the utmost care. Mr. Sage and Orchid look like I could rip them out, keep them alive with a purple ray and go for distance and then repair them with my rings once we're clear. The problem is that if Mr. Sage isn't already free then there's probably something magical going on that I can't see and that could create problems that I can't fix.

So neither destroying or evacuating are appropriate. Let's hear the villain speech.

"You're not Darkseid." Mr. Free taps his Mother Box, which twinkles silently. Presumably trying to access whatever device whoever said that is using to communicate with us. "I'll never forget his voice. Is that a Metropolis accent?"

Metropolis, named Bruno, criminal, associates with Apokolips. One name, but… This doesn't match anything in his records. Letting a mortal near the Anti-Life suggests that they're actually backing him, rather than just using him as a patsy and stringing him along.

"Bruno Mannheim. I'd say 'delusions of grandeur' but if you've managed all this then you're clearly not deluded."

I think that Mr. Free is frowning under the mask. "Mannheim? A two-bit Intergang thug."

BOOM!

A boom tube opens just in front of the core of the machine, and a-. Agh, ghuh… Someone, someone large and powerful, walks through with their hands behind their back. Ah, camera, don’t observe directly, monitor the space in the surrounding area, track when lines of sight to background objects is disrupted-.

"I hardly need that-"

And now I can see him.

"-now."

The face is more or less correct. His hair's a little neater and his moustache is a little shorter and thicker, but it's nothing a salon couldn't do. But the rest… He's gained about seventy centimetres in height, going from one meter sixty to two metres thirty. Most basketball players are now shorter than him, and unlike them he's gotten broader as well. He was always well-muscled, but now he's gone past bodybuilder and into metahuman territory. His altered proportions appear to be preventing him from being muscle-bound and I doubt that he's limited by merely human body tissue.

'Ugly' Mannheim also never wore a suit that good.

Mr. Free's eyes narrow.

"What..? Happened to you?"

Mr. Mannheim doesn't smile. His poise suggests confidence, yes, but his expression is completely sombre. Almost… All supervillains I've encountered would be smiling in a situation like this. Mr. Mannheim certainly used to have a livelier disposition than this.

"You remember the Justice League's attack on Apokolips?"

"Yeah?" Free Your Tongue.

"Darkseid gifted Intergang with certain pieces of equipment. Trifles, really, but that was the point. We exceeded Darkseid's expectations by defeating Infinity Man and handing the children over to him. And he rewarded me."

"You feel like… You're a New God? Is that.. possible?"

Mr. Mannheim glowers, a faint red light burning deep within his eyes. "Yes."

"No."

No is… I have anti-omega effect techniques, but they're rather dependant on me having access to my rings when I confront him. Accessing my armour's subspace arsenal and throwing stuff to block his shots isn't a great solution, but the alternative is flying through the ceiling to create debris and that… Depends on how fast they move and how much they reinforced the roof here.

"Darkseid touched me, and now everything seems so clear. So obvious."

"For those of us who aren't New Gods?"

"Darkseid broke off part of his soul and stuck it inside Mannheim. Anti-Life, Omega Force, Tyranny itself. He's connected to it all."

"And all the better for it."

"You gave Vincent Edge his change of heart. That's why he was so scared. He saw… Darkseid, and thought he was speaking to an angry God."

Of all the reasons to reform…

"He did see an angry god. The one true and absolute power in the universe showed him his own failure."

"Criminality?"

"Living in a way other than in compliance with the will of Darkseid. He has reformed acceptably. I will tolerate his continued existence, though I will crush his hopes and dreams as I crush the hopes and dreams of all who live on this world."

"I'm sorry, I'm not clear how much I'm talking to Darkseid and how much I'm talking to Bruno Mannheim right now. Are your dreams getting crushed too?"

"My dreams are Darkseid's dreams. His vision is my vision. His thoughts are my thoughts. Whatever feeble dreams I had before he transformed me are but a tiny speck in my memory."

"What is your intent here?"

"Earth is a world rich in magic. Everything is tied to everything else by the magical bonds of millennia. I was curious to see how easily those bonds could be turned to the Anti-Life. How easily it could slip from the collective unconscious of this world into the souls of every living thing."

"And then?"

"And then the fragment of Darkseid that is me shall study the broken shell of humanity for any knowledge that can be derived from their fall before I open Fire Pits and truly turn this world into the mirror of Apokolips. All for the glory that is Darkseid." Quail.

It's too early. It's too early and we're not prepared.

Dr. Balewa nods.

"A street shaman and a creature of the Green. But why the girl?"

"Through some black art she contains within her a fragment of the Anti-Life equation. This will enable me to learn of its nature even as it spreads to this world."

Zauriel hardens his face and raises his sword. "Why do you delay, then?"

"Delay? I began the moment you entered the room. Now, die." "Die for Darkseid."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  20. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:14 GMT -5

Karon tightens her hold around my shoulders as she feels me twitch, and I lean my head against her shoulder. I know what she's doing: trying to reassure me without making it obvious what she's doing. It'll take, like, a moment, but there's this thing where she kinda realizes what she's doing and she's not sure if she needs to-.

This time I snort. Which makes her turn her head towards me and get a face full of hair.

Okay, a chin full of hair. I need to try wearing heels or something.

"Holly?"

"Just thinking."

"'kay. Thinking what?"

"It's New Years Eve. In Gotham. And we're walking down a street in The Bowery like it's no big."

"We're both carrying."

"Yeah-yeah, but that's just 'cause… I mean, duh. But you really think we're gunna have to use 'em?"

"No. No, I don't."

"And it's New Year, and I don't think some crazy Arkham-escapee's gonna try anything. How 'bout you?"

"Huh."

"Yeah. 'Huh'. We're-. We're actually doing good. You, and me, and-. And the city. And I don't think it's just 'cause Batman busted some guy. I think it's… Like… Fixed."

"And lemme guess, you've got three days 'til retirement."

Huh?

"No? I've got, like, fifty years-. Oh. No. I mean, I'm prob'bly gonna live 'til retirement, but… It's nice. Like the future's taken care of and we can just live."

Karon stops, and I stop with her. I look up, and she's sort of looking around in a way that I wouldn't have dared to do a couple years ago 'cause it makes you look like you don't know where you are and stand out and stuff and that's just asking to get mugged. I mean, this street's not all that… Huh. Guess I never really looked at it eith-.

It's tall and dark and I can feel the streets pressing in around me and why did I think coming out was a good idea? A girl-.

There's a pressure on my hand and for a moment I think they've got me but I look up and I see it's Karon and I can see the same look in her eyes and we need to get out of here!

I grab her back and we run, we run back towards the bridge and I can hear screams around us but with the rows of buildings I can't see what or who's screaming and there's a guy-.

We skid to a halt and in his face I see alla the guys who used to fuck me and then I see his face and it's just some guy but that just means he hasn't tried me yet and he could, he could.

He's going to.

And I just stand there because that's what I do and Karon's got her gun out and-

BANG! BANG!

-she shoots him but there's a world full of guys like him all around us-.
    And That's Just How It Is.
    "C'm on."

She keeps her gun in her hand and grabs me with the other, grabs my upper arm and not my hand and pulling me because I belong to her for whatever she wants because she shot him and she'll shoot them and that’s fine.
    And That's Just How It Is.
    It's better to be a toy than a dishcloth.

31st December 2012
    14:19 GMT -5

Zauriel lunges, burning sword raised and air vibrating with his voice.

"No."

Mannheim steps forward and catches him around the throat too quickly for me to see. He yanks Zauriel towards him and I see his lips move for a moment before he drop Zauriel to the floor.

"N-o-o."

Zauriel collapses onto his back, sword abandoned, body convulsing and what looks like silver… Blood? Leaking from his eyes.

"Ignorant angel. You will learn. All is one in Darkseid, now and forever."

I could try looking into Zauriel, try to work out what the Anti-Life's doing to him and maybe fix it. But that opens a point of vulnerability. Mundane attacks, let Dr. Balewa and Mr. Free handle the exotic aspect.

"Activate gauntlets and lunge."

"Miss." Unimpeachable Authority.

He sidesteps as I swing my right palm, arms back behind his back, expression calm. Come on, I've always been sceptical about this. He's a large target. No matter how agile he is, there's only so much space for him to move to. And my kinetic system lets me move in all directions without worrying about momentum.

"Armour, message-"

I reverse direction and he steps back, and I immediately extend the kinetic barrier behind him, causing-.

He just steps through it.

"-team: any time."

Accelerate towards him, then.

He backs up but I'm faster, my arms swinging inwards to clap him-.

He catches my wrists just below the crumbler zone. Which means that his head is in exactly the right place for the purple ray. Not sure if having an evil god in your soul is healable-

I trigger the ray and shoot him in the face.

-but I'll give it a try.

He doesn't even notice. "All you build will come to naught."

"Maybe, but not to-"

I charge upwards, his hands still clasped around my wrists. The ceiling explodes, a broken-down dryer going flying across the room.

"-day."

His eyes glow a very faint red and I fly up through the building, the plaster board used for the weak interior divides bursting all over the place as he keeps holding on and not even bothering to try and attack me. I try and manoeuvre so that a lump of it at least blocks his face off, but it's not happening. Then I guess it's another-

Boof!

-floor-!

And-. And he's gone?

Ring active. Alert! Major mental alternations detected.

What? Considering, I feel f-.

Worldwide.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  21. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012

"Ah..?"

I try to sound patient, but honestly.

"Look, kid, if you wanna have a secret identity, you have to take into account that anyone trying to work out who you are is going to have facial recognition software."

"I'm-. Wearing a mask."

He's wearing a domino 'I couldn't be bothered to get an actual mask' mask, and it does nothing to disguise his skin, his jaw line, his hair or his irises. I could probably take a picture of him with my phone's camera and have his Social Security number inside a minute, if it wasn't for the fact that the only reason I'm hassling him is because I just spotted Shelly Gaynor in what is clearly bondage gear and a whip and I'm trying to work out whether I should pretend I haven't recognised her or not.

"It barely covers your nose."

This guy, though, he's just wearing skin tight spandex and a domino mask. Color co-ordination's okay, his logo looks like a sound wave, and that's probably his name. Fourteen years ago I did Superman's first interview and that.. felt like a big deal. Not a lot of superheroes in Metropolis in '98, and he'd just caught a plane. Now I'm at a party with a bunch of guys in costume and I don't have the slightest idea if any of them can do anything, much less if they have already done anything worth calling them 'heroes' over.

"Superman doesn't wear a mask."

Which was a refuge in audacity. After he told me, I said that if the reporting didn't work out he could have a career as an actor. After he told me, and after I calmed down, I said that if reporting didn't work out he could have a career as an actor. I actually watched him go from 'Clark' mode to 'Superman' mode right in front of me and I could barely believe it. But I obviously couldn't tell this guy that, or someone clever enough to get around Clark's acting ability but not clever enough to know when to shut up might start work it out and start blabbing.

"If someone found out Superman's secret identity -if he even has one- then what exactly are they going to do about it? He doesn't get less indestructible when he's off the clock."

"They-. Okay, but they could go after his family?"

"Superboy and the Supergirls are as tough as he is, and someone throws me off a building about once a month. I've gotten used to it. Whereas if someone found out his secret identity they could, what, pick a fight with the rest of his family of superstrong aliens?"

"So you think I should get a bigger mask?"

"And something tougher than spandex to wear. Unless you're bullet-proof. Are you bullet-proof?"

"Ah…"

"Have you ever been shot?"

He's slightly slumped, like the overgrown child I suspect that he is. "No."

My own bullet wounds healed up a long time ago, and I'm not showing this guy the scars. Because he's an ignorant fool in a room full of ignorant fools and most of them are going to die doing something-.

G-uh! Telepathic attack! No one obvious around, because I'm in a room full of people in costumes, and about half of them look like they're about to start crawling the walls. Mass attack. Not many telepaths who can do that-.

"Ms. Lane."

Shelly isn't crawling the walls. She had been acting a little awkward, going out in public dressed like a professional mistress, but now she actually looks like a professional mistress. She's confident and commanding in a way that I'm not right now, and I don't know if she has actual superpowers or if that 'turning her body into a living weapon' thing was just for the blurb. Jimmy's got his watch for calling Clark but he's hiding under the table right now. I could call him, but I'm not more important than everyone else who's being affected.

And I should try and get the story because observing more important people is all that I can do

That… Wasn't one of my thoughts. I'm not self-conscious about the fact that Clark's stronger than me. I used to be self-conscious about the fact that he competed with me for stories, and…

And I just thought that him doing that and having superpowers too invalidates me, and I don't believe that.

"You will come with me."

"I'm seeing someone."

And if he lied to me about being human of all things, he's obviously lying about other things too. He-.

He's the worst liar I know. He gets awkward when he sees me put recycling in the general waste because he doesn't like it but doesn't like calling me out.

He lies to the entire world every day.

Who's doing this! When-!

The lash at Shelly's waist becomes a noose around my neck.

"You will come with me. Now."

31st December 2012
    14:20 GMT -5

What?

Alert! Major mental alternations detected. Worldwide effect.

The people who were lying on the floor are still there, staring up at me.

"You cannot escape the master." / "You cannot escape the master." / "You cannot escape the master." / "You cannot escape the master." / "You cannot escape the master." / "You cannot escape the master."

I mentally grit my teeth and look inside them, seeing-. It's creeping back. It's not fully integrated, but-.

They're not part of a group mind. They've been told something repeatedly and now that they're feeling the same way they're parroting it. Like members of a Christian church praying the same way when under stress.

Contact the League or go back down?

"Orange Lantern to Batman, situation FUBAR. Busy."

I take a moment to augment my armour with hardpoint-mounted railguns loaded with a mixture of rounds… Won't be able to reload, but if you need more than a hundred rounds then two hundred probably won't be enough either. Done?

Task complete.

And I drop, the floors shooting past and my kinetic barrier flaring as I hit the floor, guns searching for-.

"He is not here." Dr. Balewa looks haggard, drained of vitality. Mr. Free is-. Appears alright, pressing his Mother Box into the machine. Zauriel on the other hand is on his knees, hands clasped in prayer. "I do not know if he ever was. Are you infected?"

"I don't think so."

"Ping."

My environmental shield flickers back into life, and I head over to Mr. Sage's body.

"Can we get them out?"

"No." Mr. Free shakes his head. "Their souls are in the machine. There's no way to get them out while Mannheim's still alive. How does it-?"

"According to my ring, it's affecting the whole world. If there's nothing we can do here, then we need to link up with the League."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  22. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012

"Teleporters, huh?"

Yeah. Teleporters. Honestly, it feels like overkill. Between Batman, Gordon and Orange Lantern, crime in Gotham is as low as it's ever been. But it's not just them, it's… People. People not being prepared to take that shit any more. People being prepared to step up, to take a risk to do the right thing. I think that even if Batman disappeared tomorrow, things wouldn't ever get that bad again.

'course, the crazies would have a field day, but lots of cities had crazy theme criminals without turning into Gotham.

"Yeah. Teleporters."

Might be… Nice, though. I thought becoming Orpheus would… Put me in a hell of a lot of danger, but that I'd be fighting the good fight. And ever since I joined the Alliance, I've mostly just been training other people. I mean, that's not nothing. People should know how to handle themselves. But I thought there'd be more actual fighting against criminals, not just contact sparring with my students.

Onyx looks away from the teleporter and towards me, like she can hear what I'm thinking.

Fine.

Or getting my ass whooped by Onyx.

But teleporters. Now we can do what the guys in the Congregation can do, except we won't drop them right into combat and can actually organize things.

"We didn't have teleporters in the League of Shadows."

"Did you have wizards?"

"There were a few wizards, but none of them could teleport people. We just used planes or ships to travel long distances."

"The League had its own ships?"

"Some of the League's front companies did. Otherwise we just stowed away, or replaced the crew."

And I can guess what she means by 'replaced'. No, I shouldn't assume. They might just have drugged them or something. Onyx… She's fine talking about the League in general terms, but she doesn't like talking about her record. I wasn't all that keen on her being here when I found out, but after I talked it over with Father Bruno I realised that she left before the mass arrests. She walked away knowing they'd probably kill her for it, because she couldn't stand living that life any more.

"You want to head over there now, or-?"

No. Not yet.

We look at each other and nod. We both feel his intent, and we live to fulfil it.

Or die to fulfil it.

Moving as one, our steps in synchronicity, we walk into the storage cupboard and pull out the crates marked 'helmets'. At the time I couldn't work out why Vincent sent them to us.

Now I no longer need to doubt.

Still worth checking that the people packing them did it right so we both flip open the lids. I'm too simple minded to understand the principles, but they all look like I instinctively know that they should. Onyx and I close the boxes and walk back into the training room.

Most people here aren't metahumans, and don't have any other kind of power. But a lot of them ran with gangs, though from the way they're cowering and weeping to themselves right now you'd never know it. Guess it was just a front.

Or maybe they're just not far enough along to just be honest with themselves about their place in the universe.

Soon fix that. And it's not that they'll be happy, but that they'll understand that their happiness doesn't matter.

"Listen up! Get over here and put these on! They'll help!"

Some walk, some crawl. Some clearly aren't seeing the world around them like it is, their minds snapped by the revelation.

"…pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death…"

And some picked the losing side. That mostly doesn't matter. Everyone will come to understand, before the end. But right now we have a part to play in his plan and this fool needs to get with the program.

"Hey. You gonna put this on?"

Onyx holds one out to the Lowlie, but he just shakes his head, fingers whitening as he grasps his crucifix tighter. It won't help in the long run, but he's clearly not on-side right now.

I walk over, grab it with one hand and throw it away.

"What-? What d'ya do that for, m-?"

"You will be free of the burden of free will soon."

I punch him in the nose, breaking it and knocking him to the floor. Then I kick him hard in the head. Probably not enough to kill him, even with my boots, but he's not going to get up in a hurry.

"Necessary?"

Onyx isn't accusing me of being wasteful. It's my decision. She just needs to hear it.

"We're justified." I look over to the rest of my squad, who with the help of their helmets are adjusting better to reality. "Beat him to death, then join us in Washington."

"Anti-Life justifies our actions."

They step up, and I feel a moment of prideful satisfaction. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I think that the Master will tolerate it so long as it's pride in obedience to Him.

Onyx and I fall back in step as they get back to work. The teleporter will pick us up when they're ready for us, and then we'll show the world that Mannheim Is.

31st December 2012
    14:22 GMT -5

"Don't use the zeta tubes or the boom tube."

I nod as Dr. Balewa wrestles with whatever's inside the building's staff. It… It doesn't look like he's winning.

"I can fly us up to the Watchtower, or anywhere on Earth. Mister Miracle says that we need to find Mannheim to shut it down."

"We haven't found him yet, and most of the League is being affected too."

Most-? "Sir? Are you-?"

"Yes. I'm working through it."

Which is… Possible, Amon demonstrated that. But it won't stop him feeling like shit while he does it.

"Sir, if you're not at your best then I can bring Doctor Mist to you. He may be able to help."

"No. I don't m-. It's more important to get front line fighters back in action."

"Sir."

"Take your group to Kahndaq and make sure that Teth Adom is capable of fighting. Let me know when you're done. Batman out."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  23. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    22:14 GMT +3

When I started trying to learn magic, a lot of the stuff I read looked like a load of bollocks to me. Which is how I ended up making my father shrivel up like a raisin without meaning to, which taught me the valuable lesson that just because something looks like bollocks that doesn't mean that it is bollocks. And that following instructions without knowing what's going on is a bloody stupid thing to do.

And a while later, I learned that while a lot of stuff that gets written about magic is bollocks from people who knew something was happening but didn't understand it, some of it isn't.

And a while later than that, I learned that the whole thing is a mess and pretty much anything has the meaning you think it has. The meaning you give it.

Which is why I've been picking up handfuls of sand and dropping them all day.

Amynta and the other girls have been staring at me like they think I've gone off the deep end. The way Paul says it, they're treating me like I've been touched by the gods. Like I've been given wisdom and madness and they shouldn't expect me to make sense to people who haven't. Fact is, as long as my seals on my own powers keep working I'm not much different from how I was before that mess on Roanoke.

Much different.

Because there's something wrong with this sand.

Which probably means there's nothing wrong with the sand, and what I'm actually picking up is something else via a kind of magical self-hypnosis, part of my cosmic awareness trickling past my seals and banging on my brain until I let it in. Or something so bad that it's actually bad down to the level of sand on a beach off the coast of Themyscira.

Which would be pretty bad.

So what I need to think about is whether I let it happen and assume that someone else has got it, or dust off the Helmet and deal with it myself.

Surprised I lasted this long, to be honest.

I stand up, which makes the guards actually start paying attention again. But more in a 'stare at the freak' way than in a 'get ready for a fight' way. Can't really hold that against them. I doubt they're really keen on having a man around and there's only so many jokes I can make about opening jars.

I take a deep breath, and release the first stage of the seal.

And breathe in, and breathe out.

Immediately I feel jittery. There's a weight on the world that wasn't there before Hyde Park. Don't know how long it's been there but neither of the magics running through me like it. Chaos doesn't like it because it's stifling. Order… Order doesn't like it because it's overriding existing systems.

Breathe in.

Systems. Order doesn't usually react to systems changing. Why is it-?

I toss the gold-glowing sand, grains flying out and blowing in conjured wind to do a circuit of the island. Not enough time to do all of Themyscira but it'll at least-.

Shit.

It's like a… Film. Oily, spread just between the physical and the magic running throughout the world. My counter is rushed and sloppy, drawing on what I learned from Themyscira's wards and what Rama Khan used on Jarhanpur.

Severing a part of the world with magic. Amazing how he just won't see that's why it grabbed a replacement as soon as it could.

Mine's not quite that brutal. More of a translation network. As the sand drifts to the ground on the far side of the island I've set up a bubble of normal, with the relationships and structures both set and moving in relation to each other according to how they were before. And it's connected to the magics of the rest of the world but only on terms of what was before. It's bad: nothing truly new can be added on one side and diffuse across to the other, and I feel the world resist the unnatural set-up.

The world will have to deal with it.

Sand grains land.

Spell comes alive.

Oil hits but can't cross.

Breathe out.

The new oily-order from the far sides revolts and complains, alternately begging and demanding that the old order complies. But the border is chaos and is unmoved, delighting in the disquiet.

That should hold. Until whoever did that gets a few wizards over here to kick holes in it.

Fuck.

I need to talk to the guv'nor.

31st December 2012
    21:22 GMT +2

I'm flying with Dr. Balewa and Zauriel in tow, because we can't risk anything exotic. Mr. Free is flying with us under his own power.

America is in chaos. And that's the good parts.

Around Alliance of the Just centres there is a great deal of organisation. People who joined up early appear to be directing things, while the rest are wearing some sort of New God tech helmet which is probably helping keep them… Going. Functioning.

Atlantis has deployed heavy duty magic shields on all of the cities I could even detect. Not sure if that's going to help, but best of luck to them. As a result I can't really tell how they're doing. They didn't have any Alliance of the Just outposts, but… But this isn't just about that.

Not a lot going on in northwest Africa. As far as I can tell they're being affected, but… The psychological affront to the ego is the difference between expectation and reality. If your expectations are low enough you can take almost anything. People appear to be… Staggering through life.

"I can't…"

"Zauriel?"

He's kneeling in the same position he had when I first put him on my construct platform for support.

"I cannot hear the Kingdom of Heaven. I cannot hear the great celestial chorus that is the manifestation of the Most High's eternal presence."

"And I know that you're used to being able to feel that, but over ninety nine percent of humans who've ever lived haven't been able to hear that either. It isn't gone; you're just suffering from the effects of Anti-Life exposure."

"Anti-Life should not have such power!"

I blink in surprise at his vehemence.

"We're a clever lot, us mortals. And it clearly does. Alternately, it's powerful enough to entirely subvert the Source, which I do not believe. Why is your faith so weak that you believe that?"

"My faith-. It-."

Mr. Free nods. "Anti-Life. It makes a lot of things you wouldn't believe when you were in a normal frame of mind seem a whole lot more believable." "But we'll free ourselves from it."

Zauriel looks at him like he's grasping a lifeline.

"You are still..?"

"Yes. So it's just another lie, and we'll work through it in time."

Zauriel nods slowly. "Thank you. I will… I will adapt."

"Good, because from the looks of things, Kahndaq needs our help again."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  24. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    21:23 GMT +2

Kahndaq's border is not as well defined as it used to be.

The Sheeda were here for resources, not to fight duels against our greatest warriors unless there was a strategic psychological advantage in doing so. With Adom, Adrianna and Amon all perfectly capable of detecting them regardless of their stealth abilities, they prioritised softer targets. Their neighbours. Refugees fled for safety, the neighbouring nations collapsed, and while some have achieved a degree of self-governance it's pretty clear that they're taking their leads from Adom.

Point is, between the security he brings and the regreening that Adrianna brings, everyone around here likes him.

Except the giant mutant insectoids currently fighting the Kahndaqi army. They're about fifty metres tall each, and tough enough that small arms are doing nothing to their exoskeletons.

"I feel the Power of Atum. He is shielding them with his spirit."

"Okay." I generate railgun constructs and open fire, green chitin exploding wherever my shots hit home. I get a brief cheer from the soldiers I just relieved before they jog off to the next crisis point. "Can-?"

"Insectoids. Highfather told me about them. Apokolips once used them to invade New Genesis."

I target the legs of one about to level an apartment block, blood erupting from the new holes in its left knee a moment later. It collapses sideways into the street with an ear-piercing screech, and I take a moment to shoot out its other leg as well.

"Get down there, see if you can interrupt their control. I'd rather they have free will than be slaves of the Anti-Life."

"They're creatures of Anti-Life. It's an intrinsic part of their existence."

"Then they die, but at least they die free."

Not a statement I'd believe if I was less secure in my own post-mortem arrangements, but it sounds uplifting. And it should-.

"I know you don't believe that." "But I do."

"Alright, but-."

And he's gone, flying towards the giant who is weakly trying to pull itself down the street towards the people firing anti-tank rockets at its head.

"Zauriel, can you fly under your own power?"

He spreads his wings, weakly flapping to rise off my construct. "I will suffice. I will put these benighted beasts out of their misery."

He swoops off, heading north towards Cairo at speed, echoes of his song reaching us a few moments later.

"Good. Doctor-?"

He radiates gold-white for a moment, then a wave of similarly-coloured energy shooting across the landscape.

"Doctor?"

"There. That will fortify Teth Adom's efforts. I am-." He stumbles, and I have to use constructs to prop him up. "I am afraid thet… My power is being disrupted by this… Mannheim's work."

"Is the white light-?"

"No. If he were thet strong-."

I nod. "We wouldn't be talking. But I don't understand why I'm not being affected."

"Your soul is unnatural and made for the most part of a universal force. I think thet Mannheim is using the Earth's magic to spread the Anti-Life. To effect you, he would hev to spread it in person."

I nod, taking a few more shots with my railguns. "Good to know."

"Thet is what I think based on what I know now. I could be wrong."

"I'll bear that in mind."

I fly us upwards, railguns continuing to fire until every insectoid in Beni Suef has fallen to the ground. I can see squads armed with rockets providing cover for demolition teams, who run closer in order to plant shaped charges on the weak points of their carapaces in order to finish them off.

"Orange Lantern to Teth Adom." No, no, I doubt that he's got a phone on him or the time to answer one if he did. "Orange Lantern to Falil."

Who might well not have time to answer, and who might well be dead at this point, but is probably-.

"Orange Lantern? What-? What is going on? We-?"

"Apokolips is using a proxy to attack Earth. Everyone's getting low-level Anti-Life infection. Don't know where the insects are coming from."

I get a clear look at Shiruta, where tanks and attack planes are firing on the assaulting insects. Retarget railguns and fire.

"Where's Adom?"

"In his temple. It is-. It is taking all that he has-"

A highly localised lightning storm forms around an insectoid that had penetrated far into the city, the air and water inside briefly turning to plasma. It dissipates a moment later, the insectoid's head and upper shoulders having been entirely vaporised.

Nice to see that Adrianna's getting on so well with the Amulet of Isis. Didn't know it could do plasma.

"-to shield the rest of us. I was-. We were all affected when it first-. First happened. I don't know how Osiris survived-."

A monster insect emerges from the ocean and receives a craniotomy for its efforts as jets scream by.

"Can he keep it up?"

"He… Said that he could. He has not faltered since, and does not appear to have weakened."

"And Osiris?"

"His power comes from.. Adom. He-."

"Understood."

So Adrianna is pulling solo duty here. Explains why the attack is still going on. No disrespect intended, but she's nothing like as aggressive as her husband and brother and her powers don't increase her strength or resilience all that much. And she'll have to stay to keep the country safe. So what can I-?

"Can Adom speak, or does he need to focus completely?"

"He can speak. His is monitoring our armed forces at the moment. Do you need to speak with him?"

"I need to see if he can tutor Captain Marvel to do what he's doing. I think that the person doing this is in America. If we can free the rest of the country-."

"I will put you through at once."

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  25. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    21:28 GMT +2

Amon smiles when he sees me. He's made a point of getting in shape even outside his empowered form, though he's not quite as impressive like this. "Hello, Orange Lantern. What is the plan?"

"We haven't got that far, yet. The first wave of insects is being managed, but we've got no real idea how to stop the Anti-Life."

He frowns, but even without the Courage of Montu he doesn't seem particularly bothered. "That is what is driving everyone mad?"

"I get the impression that it's triggering what's there already. Magnifying the worst of them. Not like with you where they just tried to overpower you."

Dr. Balewa half walks and half staggers over to the shrine where Adom is… Praying? That, or meditating. I'm a little surprised that he's not more involved in the defence, but I suppose that I should take it as a good sign that he's got enough competent people under him that he doesn't need to.

"Batman is working on a plan?"

"I really hope so."

"You don't have one yourself?"

"I have two that are relevant. One would take about four minutes and involves evacuating everyone I care about from the planet and letting the rest go hang. The other would take months."

He looks a little disconcerted. "Four minutes? That is… That is not a great many people."

I shrug. "It's the important ones. Adom?"

"I care about all of the people of Kahndaq. But abandoning the world to its fate is something that my pride could never accept."

"Well, yes, that's why I haven't just done it yet. So, you think you can teach Captain Marvel by phone, or do you need him to come here?"

"He would merely be acting as a vector for Lord Zeus's power-" I wince. "-so there is little that he needs to learn. Why did you make that expression?"

"I organised a revolution that got Zeus overthrown. I think that Captain Marvel currently uses Susano's lightning, but I… Didn't follow up."

"Susano. Who is 'Susano'?"

"Shinto god of various things, including lightning."

I can hear Adom not sigh.

"Obviously, if I'd have known this was going to happen I wouldn't have done it yet, but Zeus had needed to go for a while."

"Is he powerful?"

"Um."

"It is not a question of power. It is a question of whether or not he is willing to risk himself. Zeus is proud. He would not tolerate his people falling under the control of another." He glances pointedly at me. "When he had a choice. The Shinto pantheon think strategically. It may be thet they decide thet we will win, and so not concern themselves."

"Or that we're going to lose, so they'd rather try barricading themselves in Shinto Heaven. But we don't really lose anything by asking."

"I should at least be able to discover whether or not it is possible by speaking with him over the phone."

"Orange Lantern to Batman."

There's a delay, during which I'm decidedly concerned that-.

"Go."

"Adom's using the Power of Atum to keep the Anti-Life out of Kahndaq. They were under attack by giant Apokoliptian insectoids but we've dealt with that for now. Adom's depowered while he's doing it-" Aside from the Danner formula, but that's hardly likely to make a difference in this situation. "-but he might be able to teach Captain Marvel. Is there a Lantern with him?"

"Thirty seconds."

The connection drops, presumably so that he can work out who's closest. I mean, just about every form of mundane and exotic communication has to be completely open to the enemy at this point.

"Teth Adom. How long can you maintain this?"

"Until I die, or Lord Montu does." He considers something for a moment. "Orange Lantern. Do they have that power? Would the Anti-Life twist the minds of the gods?"

"Ah, the Anti-Life is supposed to be universal, but I can't see how they could test it on gods as easily as on mortals. I'd guess that at the very least they'd have a harder time, and that Lord Montu has long since dealt with his own psychological weaknesses. If infecting Lord Montu was easy, you wouldn't be able to shield people with his power. Um, and when you say 'until I die'..?"

"I expect to live another forty or fifty years if I cannot use my powers again. Or though since I have Professor Danner's potion, perhaps it would be three times that."

My ring blinks.

"Answer."

Alan's face appears for a moment, nods, then is replaced by Captain Marvel's face.

"Hey."

He sounds about as low as I've ever heard him. I switch my ring's perspective so that it shows Adom instead of me.

"Captain Marvel. It should be possible for you to aid your countrymen in throwing off the Anti-Life as I am my people." Marvel nods, completely focused. "Get to somewhere safe, and then follow my instructions."

31st December 2012
    14:28 GMT -5

Civilization is falling to some madman and we're in Washington DC for an impromptu Nuremberg rally. The League are a no-show. This is it. The end-.

I clutch my head, abandoning any effort to pretend that I'm fine to Shelley, while she carries on as if she didn't feel anything. I've been attacked telepathically before but this is something else. What sort of sick bastard-.

"Shelley, what the hell are we doing here?"

"You are here to bear witness to a statement of power."

"The guys in Stormtrooper helmets?"

And boy are there a lot of them. It's gotta be mind control. More and more people are falling in line without any organization. No one's telling them to do it, they're just getting in line.

Waiting for someone. Or something.

"No." She yanks on the noose, and though I could totally throw her off I decide to go along with it. "Watch."

She tugs my head in the direction of-

BOOM!

-the Lincoln Memorial, which means that I get a front row seat to seeing it demolished by the giant grey and red robot which strides through the portal.

"Classy. What is it?"

"That is Finality Man, and it is here to kill the Justice League."

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  26. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:34 GMT -5

I set William down on the Belle Reve helipad and put my right hand on his left shoulder to support him as he slumps.

"Are you managing?"

"Ah… Managing? I think so." He tries smiling, but it doesn't look right, and he picks up on my reaction. "It really… Doesn't feel good, though. Are you sure you don't need me to do anything?"

"You're a child who can block the Anti-Life. No one here is going to care about anything else."

He nods. Must be frustrating to be treated as an adult as Captain Marvel and then be routinely dismissed as William Batson. Even though Captain Marvel is a good deal more intelligent than when he's in William mode.

"Orange Lantern to Warden Waller." I march in the direction of the entry point. "Ring, put that on repeat until she answers."

"Compliance."

William cautiously follows me towards the fortified gateway that would lead into the prison. Usually, this would be constantly manned night and day, but under the circumstances I shouldn't be too surprised that it's not. I am mildly impressed that the guards managed to retreat inside. If that's what happened: the wards are blocking my empathic vision. They might have fled, or-.

"Lantern. What the hell is going on?"

"Anti-Life broadcast. We can't stop it yet. I'm here to perform an evacuation."

"You can't stop it? Then how am I thinking straight?"

"Metahuman, but he can only block it over a small area. As soon as he leaves-."

"I get the picture." I hear the clacking of keys in the background. "Security's fucked. I can't open the door, just override the emergency response."

"I can break in. But I have orders for you."

"From who?"

"The President."

"Horne or Knight?"

"Adams."

"Who?"

"There's a giant super-robot in Washington and the entire population is forming neat lines under the orders of their mind control helmets." I smash the door apart with a crumbler ram, and the alarm sounds only once. "Including the former President and the President Elect. Proven unnatural mental influence automatically removes someone from the line of succession."

"Shit. Who's Adams? How far down-?"

"The highest ranking air force officer we could find who wasn't completely non-functional." Thank goodness he was on the Watchtower when this happened. Apparently it's too high up to be affected easily by the corruption of the thaumosphere. "Can you get the guards together? I'm heading towards the prisoners now."

So many wonderfully effective security systems battered aside. I wince a little as each one crumbles.

"I can do that. We're in lock down, so they're in their cells. Or should be. What's your plan?"

"Task Force X has been approved."

"You said-."

"We're it, Warden. Most superheroes in America who weren't part of the League joined the Alliance of the Just. That's where it started. As far as we can tell, every single one is now working for Apokolips."

"Ah, hell."

"So your plan is back in action. They fight and they get a pardon. They don't, they can stay here and take their chances."

"And if they try anything?"

"We don't have the resources to waste. If they fuck around and survive, they get to be our test subject. I don't know if removing someone's soul makes them immune to the Anti-Life, but it would be interesting to find out. Kadabra's class in session?"

"It was. I'll get the staff organised."

"Orange Lantern out."

"Ah, hey."

I stop, turning to see William kneeling next to a collapsed guard. William shakes his shoulders, and the guard looks up at him with a thousand yard stare.

"What?"

"I know it's awful, what it does to your head. But right now the world needs you to get on your feet. Can you do that?"

"I..?" He shakes his head as if in a daze. "It'sIt's all…"

"We're leaving in twenty minutes whether you're on your feet or not. Do you want to go back to feeling like that?"

"Nono ohGod."

He scrabbles against the wall to pull himself upright, clearly not right in the head but at least in motion. William flashes me a disappointed look before taking the guard's right hand.

"This way, mister."

"Ri-right."

A little way down the corridor… And the door is missing.

Sonic projector.

"Kadabra, it's Orange Lantern. We're here to get you out."

There's a brief delay, then the door appears and Thomas very cautiously sticks his head out. I've never actually seen him look scared before, but he's doing it now. He's half-cringed and tense as a cable. After seeing that it's really me he relaxes a little.

"Hey, man."

"Thomas."

I walk up to him, push the door the rest of the way open, and hug him. It's a sign of how off-kilter he is that he actually hugs back. For about two seconds. I let go the instant I spot him getting uncomfortable, and he steps back into the room.

Kadabra's class is a little larger than it used to be. Or as I should say, the educational program. These days, he's not actually the only teacher. The privileges that come with actually teaching the other inmates useful skills are good enough that several inmates with useful skills have volunteered, and if they're not a total psycho Waller generally lets them.

"Kadabra."

He's sitting on his desk, looking a little more together than the other students. Looking, because I can see that it's due to his implants.

"That was Anti-Life, wasn't it?"

"It still is. We're not out of the woods. The world is infected and we can't turn it off. Who wants out?"

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  27. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:41 GMT -5

"What're you going to do to him?"

I raise my left eyebrow as I destroy the entrance to the arcane containment section of the prison and step aside as the bleary-eyed duty magicians stumble out.

"Enslave him permanently, mind, body and soul." I put my right hand on the shoulder of the closest magician. "Which way to Colin Thornton's cell?"

31st December 2012
    14:47 GMT -5

"Gentlemen."

I float through the middle of the men's cell block, a grey blur in my visual field where Mr. Crock is standing. My ring will also turn his voice into that of a commercially available voice generation program. The prisoners I've come to know through my visits are lined up behind me, their costumes on and their equipment in-hand.

"What you were feeling until a few minutes ago is something called 'Anti-Life'. A man named Bruno Mannheim -head of Intergang- has used it to mind control the majority of the population of Earth. And by 'majority', I mean about ninety nine point nine percent. He has to all intent and purposes conquered the Earth. His aim, so far as we can tell, is make everyone feel so completely miserable all of the time that they voluntarily renounce free will and celebrate as he uses and eventually disposes of them."

"If you want to know what that would be like, remember how you felt half an hour ago, forever."

A few winces, but most remain outwardly impassive. Some are new faces, but most of them… Aren't ever going to be anything but supervillains. This is the other side of the in-prison social divide.

"Or at least until you jump off a building with joy in your heart that you will no longer inconvenience your master. So I'm here to offer you a choice, and a temporary escape. Sign up with Task Force X today, and walk out of prison a penal legionnaire! The Justice League's secure accommodation is guaranteed as Anti-Life proof as anywhere on Earth, food's reasonable, and you'll be pardoned at the end of the campaign."

That actually gets a twitch from Mr. Crock.

"Yes, you can imagine exactly how happy I am about making that offer, and what it suggests for our odds. Still, the offer's genuine, and gives you a slightly better chance of survival than staying here. The ladies and gentlemen behind me have already accepted. Do you have any questions, bearing in mind that we've got about fifteen minutes until the Justifier force from Baton Rouge gets here and turns this into an actual fight."

"What the hell happened to the military?"

That… Was from a vaguely ogre-looking fellow who… Isn't in my database.

"I'm sorry, I don't think we've been introduced."

"You put me in here. Eiling, Wade. General."

How did he end up-? Okay, there's a certain irony to him being used in experimental testing, but don't they have military prisons or-.

Task Force X was still ongoing, and they were going to use him.

I don’t know why I'm surprised.

"The Anti-Life effect is worldwide. The military isn't more immune than anyone else. They're either crippled or Justified. That's stage two of exposure, where the afflicted voluntarily kowtow to Mannheim. We can't protect mass troop deployments from the Anti-Life and in any case anyone not protected works for the enemy. Trying to fight this as an actual war will kill more people than the Sheeda did. Compared to weaponry we already possess, military assets aren't worth the risk in trying to acquire."

The grey blur representing Mr. Crock has come as close to me as he can with the bars in the way.

"Why us?"

"We can't afford to grind this out. This fight will end with targetted strikes against Anti-Life broadcasters and against Mannheim himself once we've located him. Aside from a few elite military units, you collectively fit the requirements far better, and… Almost all of them were Justified before we could get to them."

"And what happens if we tell you to fuck yourself?"

That was… Alexander Trent. Bloodsport 2. The Nazi one, not the delusional one.

"I leave you here, in your cells. The power suppression system is still active, and the Justifiers are on the way. The staff will be pulling out with me, so there's a small chance that you could get out before they arrive, but the Anti-Life protection system leaves with me. And if the Justifiers ignore you and go somewhere else, you'll be stuck in your cells with no food or water or toilet facilities."

I smile beatifically.

"But the choice is yours."

Joar Mahkent's face is impassive.

"And what makes you think you can trust us? We ain't like those bootlickers behind you."

"I'm glad that you asked. The original plan for Task Force X was to give the participants explosive collars or implants. I regard that as inefficient."

I release Construct-Lantern Colin Thornton, and a few of the less hardened inmates recoil.

"You may recognise Colin Thornton, aka Lord Satanus. He keeps access to his demonic magic in this form, and I had him write up a contract."

It's not a long contract, covering the cogent points of the deal on offer. I float a copy each over to Mr. Mahkent and Mr. Crock.

"You have but to sign it and I will release your cage. As you've no doubt realised it's a magically-enforced demonic contract. The penalty for breaching the terms is your soul immediately being forfeit. It's an unpleasant way to die, and then you're in Hell. The terms-"

They're both looking through it, and their neighbours are leaning in to try and read it.

"-are enforced by the magic in the contract, so it won't matter how, say, Batman or Superman feel about it."

"This your idea?"

"Yes, Mister Crock. It is."

"Thought you were going to kill me if you ever saw me again."

"All I'm seeing is a grey blur. Please signal your agreement to the terms with a drop of your blood."

"I'm not signing a demon contract I haven't read."

"Alright, but I'm going to start ferrying guards to safety now, and I'm taking the Anti-Life jammer with me. So feel free to-."

"I'll sign!" I look around as Mr. Flinders waves an oversized hand. "You're letting the women's side out too, yeah?"

"Certainly." I float a contract over to him as he bites his right forefinger with his right lower canine. "Time permitting."

He presses his bleeding finger against the paper, which glows for a moment and then puffs out of existence in a cloud of sulphur. I then crumble the bars of his cell, along with his suppression collar.

I take a moment to make eye contact with the waverers, and float contracts over to all of them. There's reluctance and attempts to see what everyone else is doing, but after a few seconds they start signing.

"Thank you all. Oh, and so you know? You're pardoned whether you live or die. So congratulations. Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  28. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter
    Mr Zoat

Jet Fighter

25th October 1998
    21:12 GMT -7

"Ohshitshitohshit!" The terrified man laying on the pavement grabs my shoulders as I crouch next to him. "You gotta call me an ambulance, man!"

I smile, grabbing the side of his coat with my right hand and pulling it up to reveal the hole.

"You're fine." I wiggle my right forefinger through the double hole. "See? They missed. Amateur gunfighters often do."

"Whu-?" He frowns in confusion, staring at me and then at his own coat.

I unhook my finger and then pat him across the torso before holding up my hand. "No blood. Are you in any major pain?"

"N-? No?" He frowns harder, shaking his head as if he can't quite believe what's happened. "I-. I was?"

"It might have skimmed you, I suppose. Bullets are quite hot when they come out of the barrel, and if it skimmed you then you might have felt a burn. Do you want a hand up?"

"Ah..?"

I move my right hand under his left armpit and then stand, pulling him half-willingly up with me. He takes a moment and then pulls away, patting himself down as if to… No, to actually reassure himself that he's not injured. After a moment of finding nothing he calms down a little.

"Ah. Thanks."

I smile a little more broadly. "Your attacker was so shocked that I just had to shout at them and they ran off. Not a big deal. Ah. Are you going to be alright getting home, or do you want me to call you a taxi?"

"Did you-? Did you get a good look at them?"

I shake my head. "Sorry. Between the bad lighting and the adrenaline, not really. I mean, if you want to report it to the police I don't mind-."

"Nah. No, I'll-." He manages to relax a little. "I'll go talk to 'em tomorrow. Right now, I just wanna go home and hug my kids. And… Change their curfew to Five PM."

He laughs awkwardly and I nod. "Sounds wise. You have a good evening."

He nods, turning to walk away. He gets about half way to the sounds and lights of the next street, then stops and turns his head back towards me. I wave, and he awkwardly nods and keeps walking.

Good job his brain wasn't quite dead when I got to him.

My right hand moves to the faintly glowing orange ring on my left ring finger. Yes, I could easily have captured the idiot youth who nearly killed him, but after something like this I think tracking them down and having a stern word with them… Helping them sort their life out, will really do more good in the long run. It was supposed to be a threat and they were genuinely horrified-.

I frown as I catch sight of a blond… Slightly ratty-looking man at the end of the road, where whoever that was I just intercepted from his premature meeting with his maker went. He ducks back when he notices that I've seen him. Not sure what that's about.

Now, where's the first-time gunfighter gone? I'm sure this would be easier on a world with an established superhero tradition, but… Needs must where the Devil drives. This city's enough of a mess that even a neophyte like me can find people to help, and… Not like there's much point starting again on this world's version of Britain.

Okay, start walking, ratty man apparently having disappeared. Compare my target's location with a local map… A bar. I haven't been here long enough to know whether it's a criminal underworld type bar or if he just wants to steady his nerves. I walk at a pace, hands in pockets and making good time. He was running, but he's not thinking straight. I could just appear next to him, but I don't really want to blow my own cover. Or prompt him to panic into a relapse. Let him calm down, then have a word.

Never really been a fan of bars. Music, too many people in close proximity, dancing and alcohol. Still, I can usually get a laugh out of the bar tender.

I sit down, and manage to catch his eye.

"Yeah?"

"Orange juice, please."

He stares at me for a moment. "You know this is a bar, right buddy?"

"Ah, I apologise. Orange juice, I'm a great tipper."

"Hahaokay." He ambles over to the bar's fridge. "You want ice?"

"In October? No, thank you."

He takes the cap off the bottle and pours it into a glass before putting it down in front of me. I pass him a twenty dollar bill before picking it up and taking a sip. Well… I… Shouldn't have expected freshly squeezed. The barman-.

"Hey."

I turn to my left, and it appears that ratty-man has followed me here. He's looking at me… Rather intensely-.

"Hello?"

"So, ah. How do you wanna do this?"

Ah. I've never really been sure how to handle this sort of situation. I knew… Los Angeles was basically America's Brighton, but it still…

Just have to learn to deal with it, I suppose.

"Ah. Look, I'm sure you're a splendid chap, but you're not really my type, and even if you were, congress in public toilets is extremely unhygien-"

"Ah, no, no-."

"ic-. Oh. Sorry, I-. Just assumed-." He looks as awkward as I feel. "I'd.. buy you a drink by way of apology, but I'm worried that would be giving mixed messages."

"No. Jesus. Look, I-. Saw what you did for that guy."

Ah.

"Are you a police officer?"

"I… Was."

I blink in bafflement. "What the heck did you do to get fired from the Los Angeles Police Department?"

"No, I was.. in the NYPD."

Okay… Nineties computers, but I'll manage-.

His right hand's gone under his coat, because… He just saw my eyes flash.

"That won't be necessary, Detective Stone-."

Who is listed as dead. Huh.

"Again, not wanting to give mixed messages, but you're looking surprisingly good for a man your age, who's been dead for fifteen years. Um. Are you under cover?"

His face hardens slightly. "How about we take this outside?"

"Um. Okay?"

I down my orange juice and then set the glass back down on the bar. Barman… It's a busy evening, and I think $20 for a small low quality orange juice covers the 'generous tip' part. I step back from the bar as Detective Stone gestures for me to go first.

The man I'm looking for is downing shots at the other end of the bar. He's not going anywhere. I nudge my way past the flow of people entering the bar and head out with a shrug. Other than myself, Detective Stone is the first sign I've seen that anything supernatural exists on the Earth, and I'm definitely curious what that-.

"Time to give the Devil his due."

"Um." I turn to face him as he raises his gun. "What?"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  29. Mr Zoat

25th October 1998
    21:17 GMT -7

BANG!

I jerk my head to the side as he shoots straight at my right eye, my environmental shield flaring!

"What are-"

BANG!

His next shot hits my left eye, making me blink in confusion at the impact. Okay, okay, my environmental shield should be able to cope with anything a handgun can throw out, but he's undead. For all I know he's going to whip out a wight blade and I'm not exactly flush with ring power.

"-you-"

BANG!

But okay, okay, the shots aren't getting through and handguns don’t have that many shots.

"-doing?!"

I turn to look at him just as his fist comes around-. Knocking me back, ow! That actually hurt! But not as bad as a wight blade, so there's that. Reinforce environmental shield and get my arms up to block which stops his second punch, ow.

And counter!

Huh, I actually hit h-.

OWFuck!

And now we're wrestling and he's definitely stronger than he should be, but at least I'm not getting shot and I can certainly match him there!

GH!

Can't really do much about the fact that he knows what he's doing and I don't!

"Why are you doing this?!"

"'cause it's my job to send you back!"

He tries to trip me, but judo wasn't designed to deal with the supernatural and I anchor myself before head butting him on the nose! Follow up right.. hook? To the same place and he's forced back.

"To Britain? I don't need a visa-."

He shakes his head, and raises his right hand to wipe away blood that isn't actually there.

"To Hell."

Oh. Right. It's really more of a surprise that I haven't run into some sort of crazy American religious zealot before now. He sees something supernatural, and it must of course come from Hell. No idea what he thinks of himself, but wasn't there an X-Files episode about Christian zombies?

"I've never been to Hell, you lunatic!"

And we've drawn a crowd. No one's got cameras, but there are plenty of witnesses and it looks like Detective Stone just noticed that too.

"What?"

"What do you mean, 'what'? Do you just attack people for fun?"

"You're glowing orange."

I hold up my left hand, glowing ring on display.

"I have a magic ring." I exhale sharply. Okay, calm. Calm. "Do you want to go somewhere and talk about this like a civilised person?"

And there's the police siren. Detective Stone looks decidedly nervous, his gun vanishing into his coat.

"Yeah. Let's do that."

"Good show." I hold out my right hand. "Take my hand."

He takes it like he's planning on shaking it, and we vanish, transitioning onto a nearby roof.

I step back as he gets his bearings.

"So. What's it like, being a wight?"

"A-. A what?"

"Sentient undead?"

"I… Think of myself as being on parole, really. And you're telling me you're not?"

I blink. "Hell's real?"

"Yeah. Hell's real. And you're gunna need to better than 'magic ring' if you want me to buy into this whole thing."

"How… Would you tell?"

"When I shoot escapees in the eyes, they get this… Blue mist coming out."

"When you shoot them, or… Anything else?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not going to let you shoot me in the eye, because I'm using my brain. But if it helps you, I can let you stab me in one eye. That would be enough, wouldn't it?"

"Ah, I guess." He looks around. "How'd we get up here?"

"Magic-" / "Magic ring, right." / "-ring."

He doesn't look convinced. "There were necromancers in the Bible who could call souls back from Heaven. Samuel's last chat with King Saul?"

"You shouldn't-." He hesitates. "Okay. You got a knife?"

I do have a knife, because the thug from earlier dropped it in favour of his gun. I take it out of my pocket and offer it to Detective Stone. Then… I crouch down slightly to give him a clear shot.

"To the best of your knowledge, does thisahfuck!"

Reknit reknit reknit. Ah! There's the other part of my visual field!

"Happy?!"

"You're.. not an escapee."

"Thank you!"

"I don't know what you are, but you're not what I'm here for, so..."

He turns to leave.

"Ah, excuse me, I think I deserve a little more explanation after being shot repeatedly."

He stops, hesitates a moment and then half-turns back.

"A hundred and thirteen damned souls escaped Hell. I got let out to send 'em back."

"You were-?" Ah. "Your service record was excellent."

"You don't get time off for good deeds. Not from Hell. If you sin, you go down."

"That.. sounds like a positively monstrous system."

He makes a sardonic smile. "I ain't arguing, pal. I had fifteen years of-."

He stops himself, sighing.

"Look, you're not who I'm here for, and you saved that guy who got shot. How about we leave it at that."

Not as if I can't find him again the moment I want to.

"You can't tell me something like that and expect that to be all. I know good and I know evil and I know the difference between them."

He shrugs. "Then… I dunno what to tell you, pal. Do good, and don't do evil."

I smile again. "Excellent advice. But good for whom?"

30. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:52 GMT -5

Alan looks concerned.

"Are you sure it's safe to bring them here?"

I look down as the Justified tear apart Belle Reve's front gate with some sort of magnetism control ability before driving in. They're not trying to rush through the outer defence cordon, and if the defences were manned they would be slaughtered. Even the automated defences would probably be able to kill them.

Waller gives me a sidelong glance. "I could always turn them back on."

I shake my head. "They're almost certainly victims, too. I'll shoot through a hostage if I have to, but in this situation there's really no need."

I turn and look over to where Mr. Mahkent is sitting on a construct bench in a flying construct prison bus and watching the movements below very carefully. Unlike his old colleague Mr. Crock, he never moved beyond city-level supervillainy, but he made it work for him profitably for a prolonged period of time. He's not a fool by any means, and while he's bound against certain types of hostility he is allowed to question the people giving him orders. A politely phrased 'how do we even know these people are coming for us' is well below the level the contract penalises and also undermines me in the event that I couldn't produce.

"Satisfied?"

He grunts quietly as the Justified leave their vehicles, obviously unusual helmets on their heads.

"Then if everyone's prepared, we will now sojourn to a place of relative safety. Orange Lantern to Mister Miracle, we're about ready."

Of course, I can fly us to Salem, but the area where the Tower intersects with normal space is standing room only at the moment and we're trying to avoid-.

I consider the majority of my passengers.

And I'm trying to avoid collateral damage. Mother Box is perfectly capable of bypassing the dimensional differences between normal Earth and the Tower of Fate's exterior, though Dr. Balewa will be checking everyone thoroughly before anyone gets inside.

I wish John was here. I know Diana's going to want to check on Themyscira as soon as possible, but-.

BOOM!

I'm flying myself and my passengers forward even as the aperture appears, construct bus convoy passing through without any difficulty. And then we're in a void where the only matter appears to be the tower roof. In a legacy of Fake John's time here it isn't using the 'stony tower' skin, but looks more like the top of a science fiction tower block. Or possibly the launch bay of a military space station.

The boom tube opening shuts behind us as we come in to land. Acting President Nathaniel Adams is in full service dress uniform to emphasise his position, with a small military detail one of the other retrieval missions recovered. Dr. Balewa and Angelica are on hand to check everyone over for residual influence and Batman is here to debrief me.

I need to find out where everyone else is.

I open the bus doors, and my guests begin making their way off my constructs. The guards and William move fairly quickly, Waller in particular marching off to speak to Mr. Adams. My redemption-in-progress prisoners leave the bus and then hesitate, watching their environment carefully. The enpacted on the other hand hesitate, not out of fear but in the same way a predator would in an open space. They want to see what's going on before they commit to moving.

So I dismiss the constructs.

Most land just fine. Several glare my way but I'm mildly pleased to see that no one… Invokes their penalty clause.

"Wizards, please report to Doctor Mist. Everyone else, please form lines and we'll get you situated just as soon as we've checked you over for residual Anti-Life infection." I generate constructs marking lanes. "Staff here,-" I make momentary eye contact with Dr. Quinzel and give her a reassuring smile. "-prisoners who were part of the accelerated release group here, remaining male inmates here and remaining female inmates here."

The last two groups aren't exactly in a hurry to obey, but they gradually move in the direction indicated. But first-.

"In the mean time, Mister and Miss Flinders, might I borrow you for a moment?"

He landed a little more heavily than she did, and consequently looks a little more put out with me. She just looks… Not completely blank, but blanker. Jade can fake facial expressions far better, but I suppose they didn't have exactly the same roles.

Mister Flinders trudges over, with his sister a little behind him. It's an instinctual thing, with him far better able to absorb damage than her it makes sense for him to take the lead and attract attention.

"Let's talk about Kobra." Fortunately, Mr. Burr elected to remain behind, not even deigning to turn away from his back wall when I went to speak with him. "Actually, do I need to get Mister Weiss over here-?"

"No." / "No."

"Very well. As I understand Kobra theology, shouldn't you be cheering right now?"

Miss Flinders gives me a thoughtful look. "Burr was declared a false messiah."

"True, but Lady Eve is still keeping the faith. It doesn't get much more Kali Yuga than this."

"I hope the contract doesn't only work if you believe in it."

And there's Mr. Crock. Alright, he stuck to the back of the male line and isn't that far away, and it's not as if there's anything else to draw attention.

"No, it still works, and Hinduism is perfectly accepting of the idea of hostile demons. But the Kobra variant is accelerationist-." Mr. and Miss Flinders look blank. "You were trying to bring civilisation down faster than would otherwise have been the case in order to minimise the time spent in the Age of Vice and hasten the return of the Age of Righteousness."

Miss Flinders nods cautiously.

"Thus, any evil act is justified because you're not embracing vice for yourself, but rather trying to make civilisation as evil as possible until it collapses. I'm still not completely clear where Jeffrey Burr comes in."

"He was supposed to make it happen, and rule over the new age."

"How? He's as much of a creature of the Age of Vice as the rest of us."

"He… We know he's not now, but he's the one we thought the prophecies were talking about."

"How would you recognise when it's happened?"

Mr. Flinders frowns. "When what's happened?"

"When the Age of Vice has reached maximum decay? Because I can't.. really imagine how life on Earth could get worse than 'Anti-Life is everywhere'. I mean, you felt that, right?"

Miss Flinders nods slowly, her eyes avoiding my face. "So, what? You think this is the Age of Righteousness?"

"No, but can you imagine living in the same way with what you've seen of yourself?" I give them a moment, but neither of them respond. "I think this is the last moment of the Age of Vice, and what comes after we win is the Age of Righteousness. I don't know exactly how we're going to get there either, but I think.. that's what happens. So I totally respect it if you want to die to bring about the next age, but I think there'll be a place for you in it if that's what you want."

Ah, yes. They had a normal cult indoctrination. They know the words, but the theology is a bit beyond them. This is why Scientologists don't tell people about Xenu at the start.

"Just think about it, alright?"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022