1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

My two favorite parts; first, the Illustres considering how he's mostly transporting supervillains so he's the one that has to consider collateral damage. And second, he's totally trying to co-opt those two and, if I remember right, Lady Eve was already giving him a considering eye. So when is he finally making a move to lead Kobra? Just get it over with.

Oh, and finally, I've never paid attention to scientology. But hell below, is that really what they believe in!? Shit, that isn't even a good sci-fi plot! Never expected for this chapter to just further damage my faith in humanity. Although, then again, we are in an Anti-Life arc, so it's appropriate.

And can somebody remind me if Jeffrey Burr is still "empowered" or "snaked" or whatever it is he was? Or if he has been returned to normal? I vaguely remember something along those lines but can't quite recall.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  2. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who are the Flinders again? I remember Joseph/Jeffrey Burr and the Cobra Cult bit but who are these people?

kerleth, Ardy, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Mammoth and Shimmer. The fellows that ousted Bane and took over Santa Prisca in Young Justice and in the first official mission of this fic as well. Big fellow Venom Buster-ed and his sister was a lithe woman, stylized cut hair and athletic/martial artist.

Edit: My bad, got the alias of the sister wrong first. Shimmer its her name.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think a jury is required to not know about the case beforehand and that's unlikely to happen here.

Plus, I think most would be grateful that they're free.

It's a fairly standard culture practice to be vague so that you can change your belief to fit whatever you want.

It's a common thing in most mainstream religions too.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hubbard was never exactly a good writer.

He's an ordinary human now after the leader if the cult took away whatever power he had.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm now curious if we'll see the POV of the Light. What are they doing in this situation right now Mr Zoat?

7. Karmic Acumen

Karmic Acumen The long-suffering one

Vandal Savage on anti-life. Might be enough to turn him into the doomed future version from the Justice League cartoon.

8. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I can't find that. Help?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I assure you that no one is whorshipping the SI.
    The jury: "Anti-Life justifies her actions!"
    [​IMG]
    Yes. There's a reason why the church leaders had to physically restrain him from fleeing what he'd created.
    I wouldn't go that far. He is very good at fighting.
    Hereafter.

10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

by -> but

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Lmao, OL making a good case of why he should be their messiah inadvertently. Though I can see it causing as much trouble as it solves, especially since as a cult Lady Eve would want someone that fits the prophecy and gets with the program.

Hmm, I wonder who else was rescued. Will be fun to find out.

Handlewithcare likes this.
  13. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Of course not. It's well know that he's already in a relationship, and that anyone making any such accusations about Jade would be liable to wake to an amateur laryngectomy in progress.

The only question is whether the amateur surgeon in question would have boobs or not, and that's probably determined by whether Jade was able to get leave...

Ardy likes this.
  14. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

But maybe the In Praise of Eros version of OL...

kerleth, Bud-E, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Why do the British like this so much?

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I thought his name was spelled "Nathaniel".

think there'll be a place

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yet.
    There are worshippers of the Green. There will be worshippers of the Orange. And given OL's ties to The Ophidian?

...also...
    Hades already said he'd just kick him upstairs if he ever actually died, managed to stay dead and end up in his realm.

19. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Check the spelling

20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Absurdist humor is rooted heavily in the subversion of expectations, which Monty Python excelled at by consistently finding new ways to make British people act silly in ways that didn’t involve stereotypes or crossdressing.

21. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Also as has been noted, The Life of Brian works this especially well because once you start running with the absurd premise, everything that follows progresses logically from there.

22. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    15:24 GMT -5

Former General Eiling looks down at Acting President Adams as the wizards finish their final checks.

"How the Hell did we end up with you in charge?"

Adams' expression is stern, verging contemptuous. I haven't seen him in officer mode before. Even with him being retroactively cleared of wrongdoing, his duties don't actually come with any… Ah, airmen under him in his chain of command. But now he's theoretically in charge of everyone.

"Do we know each other, convict?"

"You want name, rank and serial n-?"

"Eiling." Though, credit to Adams, his face barely twitches. "How the Hell are you still alive?"

"Same way you are. I volunteered for important government work."

"What government work?"

"Something called the Danner Formula. Gives people super strength, but only works in fetuses. They wanted to find a way to make it work on adults." He flexes his arms and chest. "Amazing what a few stem cell injections can do."

Hm. Yes, using foetal stem cells and then injecting them… Could work, if you killed the host's immune system first and they engrafted properly. It would be more likely to give the test subject super-cancer, but I suppose that explains the mutations. Not something I'd want to experiment with…

"So you got a stay of execution."

"So I get to keep working for my country."

"Your country? You were murdering US servicemen and selling weapons to the Viet Cong in the Vietnam War for personal profit, then you tried getting all your co-conspirators killed so you could get away free."

"Personal profit? Heh." Eiling looks down contemptuously. "If it was personal profit I'd have quit the army right after Vietnam and bought a place in Aruba. I wouldn't have bothered sticking around."

"What was it, then?"

"Since you’re the 'President' I guess you're clear to know. CIA knew that the Vietnam War was a lost cause. Not enough public support and not enough balls in the White House to fully commit to winning. So they figured, why not sell the Communists weapons, then use that money to fund winnable fights in South America? Have the Communists pay to kill other Communists?" He snorts. "Don't know how successful it was, but that was what I was trying to do."

"And the people you murdered?"

"Shame. But that was the only way to make it happen."

"That's inhuman."

"Oh yeah? You were a pilot. Remind me, how many Cambodian villages did you drop Willy Pete on? You wanna call me a monster because I took orders from a CIA station chief instead of Henry Kissinger?" He leans a little closer. "Grow up, Mister President."

"Get out of my sight."

Eiling.. salutes, and while I'm sure that he means it sarcastically it's as near to textbook as his current physiology allows. Then he steps away and marches towards the cargo lift we're using to take the men to their quarters.

Not sure whether he was lying or not. Kissinger's plan was to lie on official documents by rerouting pilots while they were in the air, and leaving the official target as one in Vietnam. While at this point everyone who knows anything about the era knows that it happened, matching any one pilot to any one bombing run would probably be impossible. Adams wouldn't have known exactly where they were sending him… But again, the fact that the US was moving people to villages they build in 'safe' zones and then bombing anything in the areas they'd cleared, civilian or military, isn't exactly a secret either. I've never bothered to find out exactly what Adams spent the war doing, but if Eiling's telling the truth then he's not wrong about the morality of the situation.

I walk past with a nod, taking my place at the front of the lift.

"Thank you for your cooperation so far. We will now be taking you to your home for the foreseeable future. You will be freely able to leave your own rooms, but the majority of the Tower will be inaccessible unless you're accompanied by an authorised member of staff."

The lift begins to descend.

"While we're not actually going to stop you harming yourselves or others, that will activate your penalty clause outside of a refereed spar or official training session. Doctor Quinzel will still be around to discuss any personal issues you may be having. If you have any strategic or organisational questions, please address them to me or to any member of the Justice League."

"Yeah." Mr. Bailey nods from near the back. Which means that he's low on the prison totem pole. "When's chow time?"

"The Tower produces food by magic, so… Whenever you're hungry, basically. Unless you try eating a whole elephant then it's not really much of a drain on resources."

"Anything?"

"We don't have a circus, so you'll have to make do with really good bread."

"Oh, that's good." Mr. Nygma seems amused by my witticism. "But I'm puzzled as to why it is that you said that you can't see Sportsmaster. I don't think he kept any of his weapons."

Mr. Bailey might be relatively low status, but it's clear from the reactions of the others that Mr. Nygma is an Omega-level outcast. I'd sympathise if he had a slightly lower body count.

"I once told him that if I saw him again I'd kill him. I didn't take this situation into account." I shrug. "I like to think that I'm a man of my word, and I don't mind the extra effort."

"What did he do to make you say that?"

"Oh, I'm his nemesis."

That actually gets a response, as Mr. Crock… Well, the Crock-shaped blur, appears to cross his arms. "Like Hell you are."

"No, no, seriously. Classically, a nemesis is a countervailing force that comes into being in response to the actions of the primary actor. Your harshness and criminality have alienated everyone in your life, while my heroism is why I'm dating your eldest daughter, and have a better relationship than you with your younger daughter, ex-wife, mother, father, brother, nephews and ex-mother-in-law." I smile insolently. "It's a matter of contrast; by existing I repudiate your entire personal philosophy."

Mr. Nygma smiles, either not noticing or not caring about how Mr. Crock's hands clench into fists.

"Imagine that."

"My nemesis on the other hand is some Reach functionary I don't even know the name of who owes me for his current promotion. He already managed to kill me once."

Mr. Crock's face doesn't move much, but there's a little something in his eye.

"That so?"

"Qwa-matter is nasty stuff."

"So to be someone's nemesis, just fighting them isn't enough. You have to create a role for them."

"Going by the classical definition, yes."

"So the Riddler isn't Batman's nemesis, because he didn't have anything to do with getting him started."

"Now wait just a-."

"No, that's the Joker. It was Batman's fight with him when he went out as Red Hood that resulted in him getting a bath in putrefied Smilex. Batman tries to bring stability to Gotham, the Joker attacks stability just because he can."

"So who is Riddler's nemesis?"

"I'm honestly not sure that he has one."

"Hear that, Eddy?" The lift reaches our stop and Mr. Crock strides off into the prisoner residential area. "Aren't you lucky."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  23. Parzival95

Parzival95 Not too sore, are you?

Riddlers gonna be so pissed he goes out of his way to create his own nemesis and I’m absolutely ready for it.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Did the two cultists just hear Death doesn't stick to him?

What were we just talking about, Paul?

25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Pretty sure Paul should be saying it was the Joker, right, given Mr. Napier's current condition?

26. Mr Zoat

Have I forgotten something again?

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He might be confusing the versions of the Joker between the Paragon and Renegade timelines. Paragon!Joker is simply locked up in Arkham Asylum and presumably hasn't broken out since he was apprehended as a member of the Injustice League. Renegade!Joker has been rendered a non-threat after the Renegade mangled his limbs beyond conventional Earth medicine's ability to heal. The closest he got back to being relevant was when someone had the idiotic idea to give him robotic limb replacements. Thankfully, the Renegade hired Lex's lawyer to put that idea to the grave before it could get anywhere.

28. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

What do ya'll think about White Knight Joker?

dxdragon likes this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Who's Bailey? If you haven't mentioned him before, maybe a link to an image or his wiki page could help.

Edit:
    I just realized, that should say Episode 131.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, desperate times make for desperate measures, soldier. Admittedly, some aspects of his ascension to this temporary position aren't exactly entirely by-the-book, but anyone who could object isn't really in a position to do so. Once this whole situation is settled, then the lawyers can argue the point.

To be fair, most people are used to seeing him flying about in his shiny, er... :confused: Well, I assume most people think of it as a really tight body-stocking with a codpiece-thing...

Ooof. I get the feeling he is really restraining himself from turning silver and burning Eiling into ash. Admittedly, it'd be well-deserved, but they kind of need the muscle right now.

The kind that doesn't get you medals, I suspect. Not on the books, anyway.

...So, not implanted in a super-tough android body, then. Still tough as nails and ugly as sin, I expect.

Which is all the stranger because Eiling is still a patriot under all the dickishness. Just a little fuzzy on acceptable operational standards.

Don't tell us, let us guess: Just Following Orders?

I'm sure the cold bastard that thought of it is still laughing in his grave.

'Acceptable Losses', huh? An easy cover for guys like you...

Sure, no nation can go unblemished for long, but at least pretend you have some standards...

Because even as misshapen as he no doubt is, he's still a military man. In the comics, first thing he did once he was in Shaggy Man's body? Shave. "'The Shaggy Man'? Me, I never had a day unshaven since my daddy handed me my first razor."

:oops: And let's leave it at that, even if it's outside the bounds of Rule 8. Dirty dealings happened on all sides.

Thought so. Hopefully they'll be warned first if they try to sneak out. Don't want to waste the bodies, after all.

...Honestly Amazed he hasn't given Harley some kind of buff, but that sort of thing might lead to her getting overconfident. Though I'm sure she'd fill out a red-and-black bodysuit real nice. ;)

...And who was Mr Bailey, again? Closest I could find was a Ten of Spades from the Royal Flush Gang... :rolleyes: Guess he's that irrelevant, it doesn't matter.

I mean, some people enjoy a good bit of bread. I do hope they at least get some toppings.

Ah, not yet anywhere near a Heel-Face Turn, eh? He did make for a hell of a detective once, after all.

Do you want the list in chronological order, alphabetical, or importance?

Oh, not in the comic-book sense, Larry. In the classical sense. The enemy you make by your own actions...

...And OL explained it even better than I could. :D

Careful there, Eddy, you could drown someone with all that sarcasm.

Heh, just casually throwing it out that, no, Larry couldn't keep him dead even if he managed to take him down...

Not that Sportsmaster could ever get his hands on any. The Weaponers would probably laugh at him if he somehow managed to contact them. Then kill him for asking. :sneaky:

Essentially, you want to be a big middle finger at their entire life.

No, no, Eddy. He has a point. I know your ego doesn't like to hear it, but you are just not that big a deal.

Now, now, not everyone needs a nemesis. Indeed, to some degree, you don't want one.

What's the bet if the Riddler ever gets loose, he'll go out and do something monumentally stupid to prove he's worthy of being Batman's nemesis?

OL's really enjoying this part of things, isn't he? Getting to lecture at a captive audience about all manner of things. No doubt many of them will be sick of him by the time they're set free. Though I get the feeling some of them will go out and cause trouble that gets them sent right back to prison quickly enough. They just won't be able to help themselves...