1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

It's the Fifth World. The New Gods are the Fourth.

Would New Genesis be the Fourth and then Apokalips was colonized? Or was there a separate world they both game from?

Maltus was the first. Oa the second. What was the Third world?

kerleth and Xmaster3000 like this.
  2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

They used to be a single planet, inhabited by The Old Gods. The Maltusians got feed up with them after they'd basically wiped themselves out and spilt the planet into New Genesis and Apokalips.

I don't think we know what Third World was, though I could be wrong.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Wonderworld.

4. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Might be the version of it in my region, but that's how I heard it growing up.

5. Mr Zoat

Tell everyone that you grew up with that they're wrong. There is no time to waste.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It goes both ways.

From the good people at the Cambridge Dictionary- idiom Hold (down) the fort.

7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

No. "Hold down the fort" is the saying. It doesn't mean hold it against attack; it means "keep it staffed". Same verb as "He has to hold down two jobs to pay the bills." Generally connoting a skeleton crew, or else replacing someone with bigger shoes you're filling. When the US president and everyone is at the State of te Union, the Secretary of Agriculture holds down the fort in case they get bombed, so that someone in the line of succession is alive.

Some people probably do say "hold the fort", the same way people say "free reign" instead of "free rein". They're wrong.

8. Windona

Oh wow, it looks like I started a 'Does Dawn and Don sound the same?' argument.

kerleth and Lord Ernest like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

HAH! That's an easy one! You fell at the first hurdle. Obviously, it's 'Do Dawn and Don sound the same?'
    No, the original meaning, the literal meaning, is hold out against an attack. The colloquial version treats holding out against an attack and just being there as the same.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm fairly certain this is a case of UK vs US again. As in, "Hold the fort" is how it's said in Britain and "Hold down the fort" is from the US; obviously there will be people from one side or the other that say it the way the other side says it, probably by osmosis or something. As such, both are correct, the same way some words like color/colour are correct in both ways of spelling.

Technically, however, the idiom most likely originated in the UK first so...

Take it away, dear Mitchell!

kerleth, ShadowPoint, Jaron and 2 others like this.
  11. Windona

Very well. "Do Dawn and Don sound the same?" Which of course they do not.

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That depends on the speaker, or maybe the speaker's accent.

kerleth and Lord Ernest like this.
  13. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Like that video of Baltimore accent? "Aaron earned an iron urn."

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    22:30 GMT +1

"Choo choo, muthaf-"

The robot turns its head towards Guy and raises its right hand, a-

BOOM!

-boom tube appearing directly in front of him.

"Graviton deflator. And message Alan."

"Compliance."

And then immediately collapsing as the gravitational anomaly which allows space to be torn asunder in that way collapses. There'll be a small amount of alpha and x-ray radiation released, but not enough to harm anyone who isn't right next to it and Guy's protected by his construct.

Dox will be pleased that his work on the subject came in handy.

"-aka!"

Guy's construct slams into the robot, smashing its right arm into its chest and sending it staggering back a step. But just one step, and Guy's full force constructs are no joke. Inside the train Guy drifts towards the rear while continuing to pour on the power, but it's not working. The robot's recovered-

I send filaments under the road surface and replace the road surface with a frictionless construct.

-but fails to adjust to the sudden change. It slips backwards, falling-. Falling from ninety to eighty degrees before 'catching' itself on the air and righting itself. Red beams flash from its eyes and slice through Guy's construct, reducing it to green mist. Guy's already out, dropping down to swing a hammer construct at its crotch.

The robot blurs back out of hammer range, causing Guy to miss.

Railgun. Target the eyes.

Compliance.

The robot raises its left hand, red energy coalescing in its palm for a moment before arcing at Guy. Guy generates a shield construct, which the red… Plasma? Lightning? Eats through rapidly. But Guy's fine with that, shoving his shield forward and creating more shield at the back.

Come-

The robot's eyes glow red.

-onfire.

The crumbler round screeches through the air at a far higher speed than I usually use. I'm not trying to keep the evil god-robot intact, after all. The red glow in its eyes brightens a little as Guy's ablative shield starts to get ablated faster than he can restore it, then the crumbler round hits. There's a sort of… Pulse of red, radiating out for a moment from the point of impact. Then the glow dims, the beam from its hand cuts out and its head turns in my direction.

Looks like I mildly abraded its paintwork. I can still see the faint default glow of its-

BOOM!

-eyesdodge!

The swirling grey portal appears above me, next to where I was a fraction of a second ago. Even as I pull away I can feel a strange pull that I haven't felt from other boom tubes. But I suppose that those were travel tubes, rather than any kind of weapon.

I trigger the graviton deflator again and the tube aperture collapses.

CLANK!

While the robot was focusing on me, Guy dropped his shield construct in favour of his hammer and swung, hitting the robot on the side of its right knee. There's a slight shimmer, and I note with a small smile that he added a crumbler effect to it. The robot doesn't appear to be impaired, but in a situation like this we're pretty much reduced to hammering at it until something gives.

Looks like crumblers don't do a whole lot. Dox might have tried getting hold of radion weapons to fight Grayven, but none of them have made their way to me. Next on the list…

Bullets plink off my environmental shield as a group of Justifiers jog into position in a nearby street. They're basically incapable of harming-

"Anti-Life justifies their actions." Inalienable Truth.

-meagh!

Fly! Fly!

Those bullets just punched through my construct armour, environmental shield, kinetic barrier and actual armour! I'm-.

Ow.

The bullets… In my body, looks like they're normal. I pull them out of my body and knit my flesh back together.

"…okay?!"

"Yeah! Fine! Bullets-"

The squad of Justifiers fire another volley, so I try blocking with a girder I put in subspace for blocking the omega beams. That… Appears to work. Don't know why.

"-go through everything!"

Another volley, and this one punches through the girder, but none of it hits me. No reason to suppose that the Justifiers were trained soldiers before their brains were annexed.

"I got the robot, deal with-!"

The robot swings its left fist, smashing through his construct shield and sending him flying into a building!

Okay, Justifier helmets cover the mouth and nose. I don't know for certain that they have their own air supply, so I'll drop knock-out gas on them on the off-chance. They can't fly so they can't punch me up here, so if I grab their guns with construct hands-.

Oh. That worked. Quick scan… No, it's N.A.T.O. standard, no special modifications here.

Bang!

What?

Bang! Bang! Bang! B-!

I grab the pistol out of the last surviving Justifier's hand before he can shoot himself in the head like his squad mates did. He charges after it, frantically grabbing at it!

"To fail Mannheim is to lose all worth! I cannot bear his eyes upon me! I long for-!"

Construct straight jacket, construct manacles, x-ionised blades to cut at the-.

They fail to breach the helmet's armour. Okay, crumbler? No, no, not going through and I'm worried that they'd kill the Justifier if I increased the power. Ugh, have to risk-. Cover the x-ionised blade in an environmental shield and drain and cut.

Okay, that's working, go faster. Cut around the faceplate, can't feel any straps, and pull! And it's off. Don't recognise the man, but that's hardly a surprise. He doesn't seem to be snapping out of it, but he's still being exposed to the background Anti-Life.

I'm viffing the moment I hear the voice, bullets peppering the position I was occupying as squads of Justifiers run towards us from all directions. I can-.

"AGH!"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  15. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

This is a callback to when Dox used his ring to create a boom tube in this episode.

I wonder if they're going to contact New Genesis to ask if the robot has weaknesses.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ha, called his line! To be fair, Guy is about blunt enough to use something that cheesy. Now, let's see just how tough this git is, hmm? I fully expect it to be equipped with Apokalips' Anti-Green Lantern counter-measures, but those were designed for unenlightened Lanterns, methinks.

Ah, going straight for the 'go be somewhere else' method of dealign with attackers, huh?

Bet that message reads something like "Arrived safe, engaging hostile robot."

Nice, Boom Tube disrupter... Bet Grayven's forces have been getting a taste of that out there.

Not bad, given Finality Man is more than your typical 60'-tall killer robot. Even staggering it must have taken a lot of force.

Ah, let me guess. It can fly, and is taking full advantage of being able to ignore momentum.

Heh, both of them fighting dirty. No politeness in combat here.

As long as it doesn't pop it all at once, he'll be fine.

Ah, holding off until its gun barrel is full before spiking it, eh?

Welp. Looks like the DPS drew aggro. That never ends well...

Boy, he's a tough one, ain't he? Wonder how much of that is material durability, and how much is metaphysical?

Oooh, Ominous. Let's hope it doesn't try that again...

...You're gonna be here all day, I think.

Let me guess, OL literally does have a list of construct weapon and railgun ammunition types he's going to run down...

Oh, foul! :confused: Looks like the helmets do more than maintain control.

Dang, talk about Piercing damage.

At least you don't have to worry too much about rattling after this.

Ooh, Guy better be careful. His defences aren't nearly so heavy...

Totally cheating. Geez, talk about fake difficulty. Lazy developers! :p

So, lousy shots, but when they do hit you with their special attack...

...Yeah, you got the robot exactly where you want him, huh? :V

So, definitely something tied to the helmets, then.

Back-up weapons, OL. Still a thing.

Ow. Talk about a bad boss. Following in the tradition of Darkseid, of course...

Definitely something metaphysical in their durability, then, if monomolecular edges won't cut it.

...And of course there's more than one squad...

Oof, sounds like Guy isn't doing so hot.

I have the feeling this is going to be something of a mauling until OL works out some trick to damaging the big bot. Given that Infinity Man was basically indestructible, his philosophical opposite is naturally just as tough... And with all those Justifiers running around with their cheaty magic bullets, this is going to be quite the furball.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Groups LePaul could be calling for help that he's not.

The Sivana's.

Hephaestus

New Genesis

That Kryptonian AI with all the robots that Mr Zoat completely forgot about.

The Martians

18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...yeah, Mannheim himself might have been saying the proper words, but his minions are all praising/serving/desparing over failing Mannheim, not Darkseid.

If this gets back to Darkseid, the big grey dude is not going to be best pleased by this...

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

surprised -> surprise

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘in’
    ’look’?

Interesting that ‘viffing’ is a word.

I wonder if the ones that committed suicide have the ability to bypass the seemingly vast durability of their own helmets, or if they just shot around the edges of them.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's okay.
    'Viff' is an acronym for vectoring in forward flight.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Huh, looks like Bruno has been giving them some upgrades.

I'm reminded of something I've seen in a lot if Harry Potter ficw where the solution for blocking the killing curse is to conjure a solid material in front of you.

Otto von Saurion, kerleth and Ardy like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt it.

Grayven is interested in defeating the Reach, so Dox may think it prudent to let him continue existing so that the Reach has to deal with him too.

Once the Reach is gone then they'll kill him.

25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Of those, how many are immune or even resistant to antilife? Mannheim got freaking Scott Free. Hephaestean could probably fight it off for a while but he'd also have the most disastrous consequences if he were to succumb. The Sivana's are probably so susceptible that they are wallowing in their missery all the way on Venus. The Martians? Do you want to give your enemy unstoppable super soldiers?

26. Windona

Ah, this is going to go badly if they keep committing suicide.

...at this point, what is the global population of E16? Between the separation of the worlds, Sheeda, and now this I expect it to be far below our IRL population.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Sivana's have robots, and he already confirmed the effect doesn't really reach past mid orbit.

And unless Zoat nerf's them, Martians should be highly resistant.

28. Windona

If by "nerf" you mean "within YJ canon levels" no Martians aren't resistant

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Young Justice canon levels has them being resistant...

30. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Megan managed to resist long enough to get off one attack. Martian Manhunter didn't even get that. And that was against the nerfed antilife in canon, Zoat seems to be using a stronger version of it

My point is that they are so susceptible they are still being hit even though they are ostensibly out of range.