1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Yzarc

Yzarc The Spark of Madness

Well, both yes and no.

The Charms to "Help" craft is both boring and useless. I did agree with you there. But even with the Slots (Which can be ignored) and even with the different xp (Which I wish I could have ignored), all you really need is 10 or so charms in craft, mainly the "Experiential Conjuring of True Void" cascade and just ignore all the other so called "Charms" which are all useless chaff. (I am not happy about a lot of them)

Craft was made with a ton of weird decisions that I ran into, that when I checked OP, was "Working as Intended," as in a intentional part of the system. Craft was intended with only a certain type of play in mind and unfortunately quite a lot of people don't hit that. I think that why the whole, "You are not the Targeted Audience" thing came from.

But yes, the Idea was good and works and is fun if you do a lot of crafting, but is very subjective, bloated withwhat I feel are unnecessary parts and gets bogged down fast without some much needed house ruling. I never disagreed with anything you said except the part that the core system is broken as some people are arguing. It does work and is fairly fun, if highly limiting. The System could use a ton of changes but works, if not thematically then in action resolution.

I was forced to give it a fair chance and while I largely won't use it as it,it can be used.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    BBJimmy and kinglugia like this.
  2. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

We're all upset about that. The difference is I think it wound up being worth the wait and I'm looking forward to paying money for the hardcover when it comes out.

No. Emphatically no. You can't understand any complex system just by reading a book about it once or twice and never putting it through its paces. Try doing this with a calculus textbook. Go on, I'll wait.

Because you're acting like a child who won't even try his dinner because he doesn't like the way it looks.

I've addressed these exact complaints before earlier in the thread. Get different-colored tokens to represent your resources. Have the players put their purchased charms on a set of flash cards for easy reference. Players track their own anima levels, motes, WP, health levels and initiative and you do so only for NPCs. A Wyld Hunt is represented by a single battle group and maybe two or three dragonbloods most of the time. I'm not even a GM and even I can think of this shit.

If I ever get the itch to make a craft character then I'll be sure to give you all of my very intelligent and informed opinions on the subject. Don't hold your breath though since I don't play craft characters outside of Kamidori Alchemy Meister and the Atelier series.

Protip: most characters aren't supposed to have all the charms in a tree. Doing so is a sign of a person who is crazy-focused on being the greatest X in Creation to the exclusion of applying his divine power to any other field.

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  3. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

This assumes I only read the book once or twice and didn't go over the mechanics multiple times, sat on things a few days, then went back and reread.

Hint.

4. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I'm waiting for you to tell me what your experience in playing the game is, not how long you spent not playing it.

5. Drak4806

Drak4806 Well worn.

I think the devs said they weren't going to release new charms like in Ex2. Whatever charms are in the coresplat books are it.

6. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Horseshit.
    I give them two months after releasing the core book, and that's being generous.

7. Yzarc

Didn't they say that they are going to release new Occult Charms that are connected to Workings in the Sorcery Book?
    Doesn't say Solar Charms but are introducing new charms.

8. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to this argument, but Craft is still huge and complicated. It just feels like a bit much. Plus, it's hording charms word count and space which could be better used by other more deserving Abilities. Dodge, perhaps, or even War, though those... don't urgently need anything that I can think of. Performance, now, that has some glaring holes. There's an acting tree, with a separate subsection and everything— which consists solely of a single charm. It's practically screaming "feel free to add some stuff here".

Also, they discussed how Solars can shatter bones with a shout— then inexplicably forgot to actually include such a charm. There's Demon Wracking Shout, which slaughters armies, but only of demons or other spiritual beings whose very existence is a crime against righteousness— ghosts, faeries, nameless forgotten horrors, and corrupt gods.

1986ctcel, Yzarc, kinglugia and 3 others like this.
  9. Yzarc

Well, they essentially made charms for Specialities in certain places and not for the ability that they are supposed to support. Like that Dance or Sex charms. This is not including that charm that gives you dice for being underground.

10. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Ever try Fugu? I don't need to try some things to know that I don't want to.
    And now you're hypocrite and condescending! Wonderful, how very impressive!

Protip: Don't assume that a GM with more than five years of experience can't tell how a system will work in play by reading it. I make systems for quick games. Dissect others for parts, change rules to fit games. I understand how they work. I was reading rulebooks for fun when I was twelve.

You say complex? That's part of what I'm judging. If I need to reread parts, my players will, inevitably, need them explained more than once. If I cannot memorise a system, I'll need to refer back to it in play. If the index is terrible, then mid-game referencing will slow things to a crawl.

If there are charms that provide additional rolls, they will be used. Tell me, is two higher than one? Do I need to test that in a game? No, because that's basic math. So? Rolling twice will take longer than rolling once.
    Now look at Inner Eye Focus. Look at Lightning Speed. Sensory Acuity Prana. Awakening Eye. Eye of the Unconquered Sun. Adamantine Fists of Battle. River-Binding Wrath. Orichalcum Fists of Battle. Flawless Handiwork Method. First Movement of the Demiurge. Cup Boils Over. Lore-Inducing Concentration. Excellent Strike. Masterful Performance Exercise. Coursing Firebolt Flash. Salty Dog Method. Immortal Mariner’s Advantage. Unimpeachable Discourse Technique. Knowing the Soul’s Price. Unshakeable Bloodhound Technique. Bestial Traits Technique. Ambush Predator Style. Eye-Deceiving Camouflage. Swarm-Culling Instinct. Flying Steel Ruse. Four Glories Meditation. Invoking the Chimera’s Coils.

Can you guess what all those charms have in common? It's not just that they're reroll charms.

Is it going to take time for my players, and me, to count out how many threes we rolled, and how many extra successes they give us? What about how many chains of 4-5-6 showed up?

Do you think that just might slow down play?

The issues are quite obvious. Right there on the surface. And then I take a closer look, and I find that they go all the way down. There's silly little nonsense like how Martial Arts work, for example.
    I want to learn Steel Devil Style, an Armed-Only martial art? Well, I'd best be good enough at punching people!

And as for your ideas? It doesn't work that way in real life. I do not have players committed enough to put together twenty+ flashcards, I do not have enough tokens, and I cannot rely on my players keeping track of their condition alone: I need the information, because some of it can be seen by NPCs. This is basic shit. I. Need. To. Know.

If I am not aware of my player's conditions and available resources, I cannot adapt the game properly. I cannot decide on the correct actions for NPCs. I cannot advise now players. This is the difference between a player and a storyteller: I need to keep track of everything, because I am running the game.

As for a wyld hunt, you've clearly never seen what they're supposed to be like.
    Don't make promises you can't keep.
    They also said that it'd be out last year.

11. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

On the issue of craft and martial arts. I always disliked Exalted take on martial arts so nothing much changed here. Still dislike.
    Craft on the other hand? New Sorcery is fun. Sorcerous Workings are loads of fun!

I ignored the Craft rules, as boring, and left only the mundane basics and used Sorcerous Working as replacement. Also Charms person can develop with Artifacts, the so-called Evocations. Fun.
    :rolleyes:

Murderhobos were the best Players I ever had. Motivating and entertaining them with my scenarios was simple.
    Lets agree to disagree, we simply have very different view on what's flawed with Exalted, as a game system.

Exalted is based of WoD. Where combat is made to be semi-realistic deadly. With a bit of tactical thinking you can defeat most foes. Rest, you brute-force.

o_O
    Really? It is what it boils down towards for you? How many X takes to kill Y?

Because for me it's a problem not of numbers but of "This dude could be kingdom's best swordsman on his best day ... but it doesn't matter. Average Exalt ignores him because he's just mortal and will die without dice-adders."
    I don't see it. After reading about canon Exalts, when I remove Exaltation from the equation I see random person. Not Exceptional person.
    Unless you mean that tiny, and apparently not heeded to, bit of flavor text about "how" Exaltation picks a host? Truthfully speaking it is just a Lottery. Nothing more.

Except Dragon-Blooded, but hey majority of them are average. Exceptions do follow and make their representatives special. Like Her Redness.

I distinctively remember saying good and evil. Without capital letters. Unless you claim that platonic ideals are subjective. :rolleyes:

I can see we don't see each other here but shout at clouds, so lets drop the topic.
    *claps hands repeatedly*

Thank you for reverting to name-calling when you can't rebuke someone properly.
    Lets drop it, it doesn't hold merit when we don't seem to be even in the same room of the House of Understanding.
    I say that I don't believe things till I check myself. Can slavery be wrong? Obviously. I am uncomfortable with putting my livehood in other person's hands.
    Can I imagine that there could be someone who would be comfortable and content being sort of property? With effort, but there are all sorts of people.

I hoped you understood what I meant by my words there, but my hope is dashed when you revert to mantra-ing "Slavery is wrong!".
    Why? Because mindless repeating of even common sense turns it into dogma. Wich often leads to looking down on people who don't share your dogmas.
    Wich, in your domgatic mind, lessens them ... and that makes thought-leap of doing things to not-people that would be wrong doing to people is ok if it's not-people.

Very easy.
    My point is ... I don't see heroic side of the Exalts, like at all. All I see is random people going bat-shit-insane with power.

Me or you would be same deal were one of us suddenly win Exaltation Lottery.:oops::(:rolleyes:
    Remove the powers. See what's left. If what's left is an exceptional person, we are in agreement.
    If someone random? You will see my point of annoyance with Exalts.

On the note, I don't have big problems with Exalted-the game. I do have problems with Exalts themselves. Especially the representative Solars.
    One of the best Exalted games, and longest lasting ones, I ever DM-ed was without a single Exalt in the group.
    And the people there faced odds you usually pit Exalted against. And you know what? With tactical thinking and clever use of available resources they won.
    Thus reinforcing my point of original annoyance: It is not an Exaltation that makes a Hero.
    Authors paid lip service to that thought ... but they then written their core NPCs in a way that states "Exaltation made that semi-obviously random person, a hero."

12. Yzarc

You are describing stockholm syndrome or something similar to it. If you want it to become disturbing? Replace Slavery with Rape.

Jarudazuigu and Valette-Serafina like this.
  13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Ex3 isn't going to kill you you enormous drama llama. Try a metaphor that actually demonstrates your point next time.

Which is irrelevant because none of that experience is with Ex3. Your massive throbbing hateboner is not a valid replacement for live-fire testing, of which you've done none.

That's true with every printed RPG. I suppose you also refuse to play D&D because you need to stop and look up what spells do every time the wizard takes his turn?

No, because I don't see these charms being used by every player on every turn. Even if they were, you need to test them out to see how the new combat system flows now that it's been cut down from the ten steps it used to be, I'd wager even with rerolls it'll still be faster and more streamlined than the old system.

Then that's a problem with your group, not with my solution. If they can't be assed to put a little effort into their game instead of making you do all the work then you have my sympathies for having lazy players.

14. Valette-Serafina

If you enjoy running a game for murderhobos, do not complain about the murder.
    No, it isn't. Both systems run on storyteller, but they use different adaptations of it.
    Apparently that matters to you, given that it's what you were talking about.
    Assuming the average Exalt has a moderate combat investment, the kingdom's best swordsman losing to one of the world's best sword/ax/spear/hammer wielders, or martial artists, or archers, or assassins...
    Not really all that implausible. Give the second person Magic? Obviously the Exalt has the edge. They move faster, with more grace and precision. They hit harder, they can crack stone with their footsteps. They can shatter the finest steel, react to attacks they cannot see.

Superhuman power on top of the pinnacle of human skill is better than almost pinnacle human skill. 5 in a combat skill, something most player Exalts have, is the utter limit of human mastery.

If you ignore the details about the setting, of course you'll be wrong about how it works. Tell me, which of the signature Solars is a normal person, again? The Lunars? The Sidereals?

Again, your standard of average is very, very off. Each and every Terrestrial of the Realm is held to a standard: A standard that most people cannot match.
    If you wish to criticize my habit of unneeded capitalization, I would request that you make absolutely certain that your own spelling and punctuation is of a higher standard.
    If you choose to diminish the setting in your mind, the problem is in you. Not the setting.

Historically, slavery has always been accompanied by abuse on a massive scale. If I wish to pick an institutionalised evil for the sake of making a point, there are few better choices.

Is it not?
    This is rather hard to decipher.

From what I can gather, "Having a moral code is bad, because it might lead to you thinking that people who do things you think are bad deserve less than people who do things you think are good, and that might lead to depersonalization"?

Are you telling me that it's wrong to look down on slavers and rapists?
    So, Panther, a legendary martial artist and veteran pit fighter who turned his back on a life of decadence and was Exalted for it, a man who travels the world aspiring to bring righteousness with him, a man who fights gods and frees slaves...
    He's just some random Joe to you.

Harmonious Jade, an assassin raised from birth to kill for a demon cult, is a normal person.

Black Ice Shadow, a child born in a shadowland and raised by gods, trained to bring balance to the world but shunned by his peers, he is normal.

The Maiden of the Mirthless Smile, a girl who heard the whispers of the dead creators of the world all her life, a woman who sought out a dread necromancer on a whim, she is normal.

Where the hell do you live, if this is your standard? Australia?
    In most cases, you take the Exaltation and what's left is a person with at least one virtue at 3 or higher and most likely one or more 5 dot ability(s). That is exceptional. That is a person who has a true mastery of a field, and some strong emotional drive.

If you don't think that's anything special, then you're also arguing that Olympic athletes and rocket scientists are just random people.
    Alright. I see no problem with turning up my nose when presented with rancid dogshit on a plate. I do not need to try a bite to know that I want something better.
    Not going to dispute the Hypocrite thing, huh?

You can keep howling your baseless argument to the heavens, but Ex3 is nothing special. It's a roleplaying game, like any other roleplaying game, and I can see the flaws in the system clear as day.

Your argument also says that an experienced mountain climber cannot identify a bad handhold by sight, only by testing it with their weight. It is the argument that a chef cannot identify bad ingredients before making them into a meal.

I am not testing a recipe, I am looking at a mechanical system, numbers and rules. If I can see a flaw here, it exists. If anything, play will show more flaws, not less.
    No. D&D has a good index, and spells are alphabetised. I do advise new players not to play Wizard-type casters, though.

I make certain to memorize the most common spells, too. And the damage for the most common weapons.

If I'm running a quick game, I'll disallow primary casters.
    Excellent Strike is three motes. With mote regeneration, that's something that can be thrown out almost every attack. It is a basic, easy to access charm, and something that most players will want if they use melee.
    Orichalcum Fists of Battle is scene-long.
    Four Glories Meditation is Permanent.

As for attack steps, let's take a look at what they actually are.

Ex2: 1) Declare attack and charms used, stunt. 2) Declare Defence and charms used, Stunt. 3) Attacker rolls. 4) Attacker rerolls, if using one of the few charms that provide a reroll. 5) Penalties are applied to the attacker's roll, with DV applying last. 6) Exists specificly for charms that activate in step 6, as DV is not rolled. 7) Raw damage is calculated. 8) Hardness and Soak are applied. 9) Counterattack Charms activate. 10) Damage is rolled and applied.

Ex3: 1) Attack is declared. Withering/Decisive is decided. Stunt. Some charms declared.
    Withering attack steps: 2) Defence is declared. Stunt. Some charms declared. 3)Attacker rolls. 4) Attacker's partial reroll charms lead to second, third, and possibly fourth rolls. If the defender is using a high priority charm that uses the attacker's 1's for something, that is used here. 5) Attacker decides whether or not to use a total reroll charm. If they do, steps 3-5 are repeated. 6) Defence and penalties are applied. 7) Raw damage is calculated. 8)Soak is applied. 9) Damage is rolled. 10) Attacker's partial damage reroll charms are used. 11) Initiative changes are calculated and applied.
    Decisive attack steps: 2) Defence is declared. Stunt. Some charms declared. 3)Attacker rolls. 4) Attacker's partial reroll charms lead to second, third, and possibly fourth rolls. If the defender is using a high priority charm that uses the attacker's 1's for something, that is used here. 5) Attacker decides whether or not to use a total reroll charm. If they do, steps 3-5 are repeated. 6) Defence and penalties are applied. 7)Hardness is applied. 8) Damage is rolled. 9) Damage rerolls. 10) Damage is applied. Attacker's initiative resets.

Add one step to both of those, by the way. Counterattacks still exist, but they don't seem to have a set place in attack resolution anymore.

So, which has fewer steps, again?
    Flashcards are not "a little" effort, and that is the only issue that my players could resolve.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  15. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

That's better. You're still incapable of judging it without playing it.

Not going to dignify an ad hominem attack, no.

Both of the above examples have experience in relevant fields. You have no experience with Ex3. You are a rank amateur trying to claim mastery of a subject you've never touched before.

They'll also be wanting to use all of their other charms, not just the same one turn in and turn out. The mote economy influences player behavior and which charms get chosen on which turns depending on the situation.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: you present theorycrafting and white room scenarios as evidence when those scenarios don't reflect the way people actually play games.

So apparently you didn't even read the corebook. It's four steps for whithering attacks and four steps for decisive attacks.

Withering:
    1) Roll your dicepool to attack.
    2) Add up weapon damage + strength + threshold successes to calculate raw damage. Weapon damage + strength is going to be a static number most of the time so really this is just your base damage plus extra successes.
    3) Subtract target's soak from damage and roll a number of dice equal to whatever is left over.
    4) Calculate the initiative exchange.

Decisive:
    1) Roll Dex+Ability against the target's defense.
    2) Roll a dicepool of your current initiative.
    3) Count successes and apply an equal amount of damage.
    4) Reset to base initiative if the attack was successful.

Charms may occasionally add another step or two or the occasional reroll but as I already pointed out you won't be using the same charms on every turn thanks to the limits of the mote economy. And the amount of time a reroll adds to the process is insignificant in any event. What, two seconds to pick a die up and drop it back on the table is somehow a big deal to you?

16. Valette-Serafina

What part of running games for more than five years did you miss?

Ex3 is not some miraculous, new subject. It is a roleplaying game, that runs on the storyteller system.
    I know roleplaying games, and I have significant experience in using storyteller system games.

You, on the other hand, are by your own admission not a gamemaster.

Maybe I should try and give you another argument, though. Demonstrate the flaw in your reasoning undeniably.
    [​IMG]

Can that vehicle fly? I have my own opinion on the subject, but I want yours.
    Guess how the mote economy changed in Ex3! If you guessed that it didn't, you were wrong.

With an established mote regeneration that requires nothing, Charms are even more usable! Yes, that's right, using more than one charm a turn is encouraged!

SO, using my experience of what players will want, what kinds of charms will see frequent use? Perhaps the ones that make attacks more likely to hit? Maybe the ones that improve damage? As a player, I know that I'd use both quite a bit.

Why look, it seems that some of those those charms fit the "Easy access, low cost" requirement for frequent use. I guess that they'll be used whenever a player can spare the motes! After all, Motes regenerate on a player's turn, and most players hate to waste a resource like that.

Certainly, you can construct a situation where a player might not want to use a charm that enhances their attack. In actual gameplay, charms get used.
    Now, see, that's funny. I had the backer PDF open when I made my last post, and I double-checked. And y'know what? They made the same mistake you're making. Let me just correct you, In Red.
    See? Much better. Now scroll up and look at the actual steps. Compare Ex2 and Ex3, and remember that if you're going to skip a step in one, you need to skip that step in the other to accurately measure how streamlined they are in comparison.
    My, my, you really aren't thinking about this at all. Just because you can say mote economy doesn't mean you know how it works.

So, let me explain something. Every turn, each Exalt who's fighting gets five motes. That means that any expenditure of less than five motes is free. Every turn, every player will want to spend at least five motes, to get the full value of that ongoing recharge. It is a free resource.

Spending more than five motes is something that will happen in any game which isn't white room optimised. Players will want to use their powers. Given that they have a reserve motepool, they will dip into it. Perhaps, some turns, they'll take a few moments to refill their pool, but for the most part, Players will be spending motes.

Now, they'll want cheap charms that have big results. Let's look at Swarm-Culling Instinct as an example.

Swarm-Culling Instinct costs two motes, and supplements a join battle roll. It is Essence 2, Thrown 4, and has four prerequisites. It is likely to end up in the hands of a thrown-focused character very quickly.

It triggers a cascading reroll if the player using it rolls any tens, allowing them to reroll one non-success dice per ten. If the rerolled dice show a ten, that's another die that can be rerolled.
    You might say "That's a one in ten chance, that shouldn't be a problem." That would betray a lack of experience in roleplaying, however. It is white room logic, which you profess to dismiss. In actual gameplay, I have seen a player roll fifteen dice and get fifteen tens. That was a thing that I saw happen, after he rolled nine and got eight the session before.
    Additionally, it allows the player to make (Dexterity) instant attacks provided each attack is aimed at a different opponant. As someone who has actual experience running games, I read that as (5, maybe 4) attacks. Each attack is rolled separately, and may be enhanced.

This is a cheap, useful Charm. If a player has it, there is no reason for them not to use it at every opportunity. Even being low on motes is no reason to do so, because if it's the only charm they use that turn, they regain three motes.

Let's look at Excellent Strike, as a second example. It's a nice, simple Melee Charm. No prerequisite Charms, at the bottom of a number of nice trees, Melee 2, Essence 1. Any Solar who has even a little interest in picking up a sword can get this, and it's always going to be useful.
    Three mote cost, which means that if they only have a few combat charms, this one will see a lot of use. If, on the other hand, they have lots of combat charms, this one will still be a nice option.

What does it do? It makes it impossible to botch. All 1s are rerolled until there are no 1s, and the attack gets an automatic success. That sounds useful, right? One success is worth two motes by the Excellency scale, and this one becomes more powerful the more dice are rolled.

That's just a surface look, though. I look deeper. Excellent Strike has a special interaction with Iron Whirlwind Attack, you see. It only needs to be activated once to be applicable to every attack in the flurry. Assuming the Player who decided to use that charm was thinking, that's between three and five attacks that reroll 1s until 1s stop appearing, for a cost of 8m, 1wp.

Allocate perhaps fifteen seconds for the first roll, more if more dice are being rolled. Each of them needs to be counted. For each die that needs rerolling, that's at least one second.

This adds up. It slows down play. I know how this works. Ex3 does not have some magical aura that makes rerolling dice faster or more streamlined. Dice are dice, and they will always behave like dice regardless of the system they're used with.

A dice pool system will always need to focus on simplicity of rolling, because it's intrinsically less efficient than rolling one die and checking it. Ex3 does not.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  17. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

SWLIHN will have fits trying to calculate Ex3 stuff, I guess. Or maybe ssomeone could program something to do all the rolls calculation.

Bre Karn likes this.
  18. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

When did you miss the part where it's not relevant to playing Ex3?

You have no experience with Ex3. Your experiences with Scion or WoD or what the hell ever are of no relevance.

False equivalence fallacy. My argument is that you cannot grasp the working of a complex system solely by observation and no personal experience. A car is a system we both have extensive personal knowledge of and whether it can fly or not is a simple answer even for an uneducated layman. What you are claiming is that you can read the manufacturer's manual for that go-kart a few times and -- using only that knowledge -- understand how it works in intimate mechanical detail down to how the individual components affect the performance of the whole machine as well as whether a component is defective or not. I on the other hand am insisting that you need to have actually disassembled and reassembled the machine in question in order to obtain that degree of competence. And while I'm not a gamemaster, I fix cellphones and other delicate electronics for a living so I know something about what it takes to gain that kind of familiarity with a complex system.

The problem is they'll also be wanting to use their athletics and dodge and stealth and resistance and all their other combat-applicable charms in addition to whatever their melee/archery/whatever charms are plus taking advantage of the bonus dice from their free excellencies. 5m per turn isn't nearly enough to cover an all-out attack and defense on every turn even if the excellency is all you're using, so motes remain a finite resource.

So now you're claiming you know the system better than the people who built it from the ground up. Does your arrogance know no limits?

You're forgetting about excellencies. You can spend up to ten motes just augmenting your attack for a single roll and another ten augmenting your defense, and that's only against a single attack from a single enemy because the defense boost is reflexive. Add charms on top of that and suddenly 5m per turn doesn't look like such a big deal anymore.

I use an Android app called Dice Roller. Plug in the number of dice, select the d-size, add a modifier if necessary, push button and bam, instant die rolls organized neatly from largest to smallest result.

19. Valette-Serafina

Do you know just how many mechanics are crossed over? Motes, Excellencies, the basic assembly of a dice pool...

This is not. A. Special. Game. It uses mechanics I have seen before. It uses systems that are quite familiar. I can see how it ticks, where the stress points are, how it will break in play.
    No. What you're saying, explicitly, is that until I play the game I can make no judgements at all.

By that logic, you cannot say anything about anything you have not personally used. By that same logic, until you have driven that go-cart, you cannot say whether or not it can fly.

Your metaphor is better, though. "I on the other hand am insisting that you need to have actually disassembled and reassembled the machine in question in order to obtain that degree of competence."

Yes, that's how it works. I have the system right here, on my computer. I have for months, and I've gone over it more than once. I've "Taken it apart". I am not working from second hand, I have the actual thing right here, and the components are defective.

One attack charm is hardly an all-out offence.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about here, so I'll let your persistent ignorance speak for itself.
    OKAY, WE'RE DOING THIS NOW!

So, let's follow the steps you list! I roll an attack without declaring a target! I hit nothing! Wow, such system, much useful!
    Now let's say it's a withering attack! According to you, it hits if I roll one success! Such Balance!
    Rerolls never happen, because there's no space for that!
    Defensive Charms are useless, because they don't have place to be activated!
    Counterattacks, likewise, do not happen!

SEE HOW WELL THAT WORKS?

The Devs for EX3 are liars, and incompetent. That is clear from the system they made. Hiding an attack step by not giving it a number is not removing that attack step, and you should be able to see that.

You want to apply the same process to Ex2? It's four steps too!
    1) Roll attack and compare to DV.
    2) Calculate Damage.
    3) Apply Soak+Hardness.
    4) Apply total Damage.

Amazing, how much you can cram in if you're aiming to make something look simple.

So yes, I am saying that I have fucking eyes and a brain. I thought you did too, but clearly not!
    No, you can't, because you can't activate defensive Charms.
    There is no step that allows you to declare or enhance your defence, as you have clearly stated. Only four steps, and none of them are for the defender.

As has been established. Motes will be spent. That is what they are for. They will be spent on useful things.

If someone spends ten motes on an Excellency for more dice, they are more likely to use a charm that makes the most of each die, not less. You would know this if you actually thought. In a version of Exalted with less accessible perfect defences, all-out attacks will be significantly more useful. Spending fifteen motes on one attack is something that the system incentives, strongly.

Well jolly good for you, but that's irrelevant. You can take your overpriced electronic problem solver, shove it up your ass, and remember that not everyone is fucking rich!

20. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Okay, look.

3e, at its core, is a Storyteller system. Dicepools are a number of d10s based on the combined total of your relevant Attribute and Ability. Successes are seven and up, tens count twice. The various subsystems and powers are added on top of that and provide alterations to the rules presented in the base.

It is not some brand new, never before seen game system that no one has ever used before. People understand the fundamental basics behind this because they've experienced this sort of system before, and when you have experience with a system, you can figure out how things change.

For example, my mother is a very good cook. She knows what ingredients taste like, how to prepare them, how to put them together, etc. She can look at a recipe she's never had before and can know what it would taste like and how she can tweak it to better suit her tastes. She can do this because she's been cooking for years.

This is the basically the same.

People have experience with the Storyteller system. They have spent years picking it apart and putting it back together again and know what makes it tick. They've added rules, they've removed rules, they've seen the results.

3e is not a radical departure. It does not change so much as to render all previous experience irrelevant.

If, for example, 3e had shifted to a percentile based system or a diceless system, you'd have a point about experience with other Storyteller systems not applying. But it hasn't and you don't.

21. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

You think you can. I have my doubts.

What you have done is read the instruction manual, that being the core rulebook. Until you've actually played with the system you have no more ability to tell me what parts work and what parts don't than any random person off the street.

It does actually say right there in the book that all charms have to be declared before any dice are rolled. Check page 251.

What's clear to me is that you're a deeply biased source so I'll be deciding what's broken and what's not for myself.

It's also clear to me that this argument is starting to get kind of personal, so I'm going to stop here before I start saying things I can't take back.

22. Valette-Serafina

This is not a machine. It's not a recipe. It's not a martial art.
    This is a rule system.

Your inability to get one simple fact through your skull does not make you anything but dense.

And as that's not part of the sequence for attacks, they cannot be used.

If charms are declared, that needs to be part of the quick attack resolution list.
    I'm no more biased than you, unless you happen to work for Onyx Path.
    Too late.

1986ctcel and Sydonai like this.
  23. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Then I owe you an apology, I guess I let my mouth run ahead of my brain so to speak. I do honestly think your opinions on the game line have been formed very prematurely but that's a stupid reason to start slinging insults at a person I otherwise have some respect for.

24. Valette-Serafina

I have the actual rulebook in my computer. The issues I am seeing are not complex misjudgements of charm interactions, though there will be such.

They are as obvious to me as a square wheel on a wheelbarrow, and just as crippling.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  25. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Can this be the end of what remains of the argument, with or without any closing consensus?
    It's uncomfortable seeing tensions build like this.

26. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I have no intention of continuing. At this point I think Val and I are just going to agree to disagree because this whole thing has left me feeling pretty shitty and I don't think I'll be revisiting the argument in the future.

BBJimmy and Valette-Serafina like this.
  27. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Just what. -_-

tighearnach, BBJimmy, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  28. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

Hu.

I guess I will continue on my Exalted 2nd Edition game and not "upgrade" to Ex3.

Valette-Serafina and Sydonai like this.
  29. Yzarc

3E has its pros and cons. It is not to everyone's tastes. The Devs made 3E a bit too much into what they feel Exalted "should" be rather than what it "could" be.

But all that aside.....

If you are a player, then try it out. If you are an ST? Feel free to stick to 2/2.5E. 3E dumps a lot of work on the STs shoulders, but is pretty fun for the players.

1986ctcel and Jiven like this.
  30. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Understatement of the year -.-

I just wish that one could avoid all complaints every damn time 3e is brought up. Yes, we get it, you don't like it. I mean, I'm about some twenty or so pages behind in SV's exalted thread as there's just so many people ragging on 3e all the time.

Negativity and vitriol isn't fun :(