1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If anything I've taken note that Zoat's Martians seem more powerful than they are supposed to be in the YJ cartoon.

The YJ authors intentionally avoided "can do anything Superman can do plus telepathy" so they really focused on psychic powers.

Megan is supposed to have the natural durability and strength of a 7 foot tall HR Giger monster with the mass to match even when condensed into petite high school cheerleader form, the rest is cheating with telekinesis.

Just as Zoat had Zum benefit from the Martian equivalent of the Garrick formula, a YJ Martian would be upgraded by the Danner formula.

Prince Charon, Bud-E, Windona and 2 others like this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's been so weirdly peaceful here since I blocked Vaermina.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Alpha radiation is blocked by paper. The dead cells on the surface of your skin are sufficient alpha defense. I suspect you meant gamma?

Martians wouldn't be connected to Earth's thaumosphere. They wouldn't be subject to the current way they're spreading Anti-Life -- as long as they don't try to touch the minds of any humans, it would require a direct Anti-Life attack to affect them.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Vaermina and 2 others like this.
  4. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Shrug I dunno he makes some good points from time to time. I'm not a huge fan of Paul and am probably overly critical of the story at times but frankly I'm more here from grayven then anything else at this point.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, that's intentional. Alpha radiation can be dangerous, it's just not in most circumstances.

Prince Charon, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Basically, alpha radiation is dangerous if it gets inside you - inhale it, swallow it, that sort of thing.

kerleth, Chaoswind and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Like Spider Man's.. stuff!

kerleth likes this.
  8. BR549

That never happened. EVER.

Assblaster5000 and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Exactly, It never happened and we DO NOT talk about it.

10. Stsword

Actually it was established that Spider-Man was transformed by gamma radiation.

The spider that bit him survived. Hulked out in size.

And eats criminals, because with great power comes great responsibility, even when a girl gets hungry.

11. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    22:31 GMT +1

Guy's hit. Doesn't look critical, but he can't regenerate in the way that I can. One hand on his abdomen, he flies around a building to get out of the Justifiers' line of sight while I throw out a volley of weighted chain constructs. Each one strikes a Justifier hard in the chest, and I hear bones snapping as they're thrown backwards. Because they can harm us but not survive us hitting them, because Mannseid doesn't value their lives outside of their immediate utility. Disarm them and they kill themselves. Cripple them outright and they'll probably do the same. Injure them-.

The Justifiers now dealing with a chest full of broken ribs shakily get back to their feet. Because they're not reacting to pain. They're still injured and they can't just ignore the physical impairment. They're struggling to breathe and that will reduce their athleticism, but ribs aren't essential in the short term.

BOOM!

I counter with a graviton deflator without really thinking about it, my railgun shooting the robot in the eyes a moment later as it tries to use the omega beams again.

Okay, its mouth isn't moving but I'm pretty sure that it's the source of the voice that keeps-.

Bullets plink off my armour, but these ones aren't augmented and pose no threat. Weighted chain constructs fly out again this time targetting right arms. More snaps, but this time they lose the ability to hold their guns properly. But they can still hold them, so…

Yes, they're shooting but their accuracy is abysmal. Some draw their handguns and shoot those with their left hand, but the lower rate of fire and lower accuracy mean that I'm not too concerned.

"Guy?!"

The robot drifts down a nearby street in pursuit of Guy. Let's try… Positron beam to the back of the head. Construct ready, firing. Impact… A flare of light, but none of it from the robot's armour. Some sort of force field. I'm not detecting one, but it could well be magic.

"You dead?!"

"Show you who's-"

A fat beam of green light slams into the robot's chest, prompting it to bring its arms up to its chest to shield itself.

"-dead!"

Guy rises above the surrounding buildings, ring glowing brilliantly as he continues to blast the robot. I'm not seeing any damage-.

If my draining abilities weakened the Justifiers' helmets, I could give it a go against this thing? Can't hurt more than failing to kill it.

I take a purple healing ray out of subspace and shoot Guy with it as he keeps pushing the robot back. Okay, x-ionised knives at the ready, fly at the left leg-

"Anti-Life justifies their actions." Inalienable Truth.

-and weave around the shots by tracking possible trajectories and evading them as the crippled Justifiers try to draw a bead on me. One handed pistol shots aren't that accurate anyway. Robot looks like it's focusing on Guy, trying to get its right arm up to take a shot but can't in the face of the waves of green energy. Close enough and stab and drain-.

It's irrelevant. The thoughts and designs of the one who exists as the totality of the universe binds and enthrals me, with my knowledge or without it. To raise a hand against his creation is to-.

I'm flying backwards through the air, green bonds wrapped around my-.

"Okay okay! I'm good-."

Guy glances down at me as I stabilise myself in the air.

"The hell was that abowt?!"

"I tried draining it."

The robot is facing us, but it's on the ground. It tries taking a step closer but its left leg doesn't respond and I can see the cuts I made before being overcome.

"It worked on the helmets, but that thing's channelling… Or.. broadcasting, Anti-Life. I got it right in the brain."

"And you're just okay now?"

"Um. I think so. Ring?"

"Thought processes align to behavioural baselines."

"So stabbing it's a no-go?"

"Stabbing has certain risks, but if it's the-."

"Die for Mannheim." Life Is Fuel.

The robot's wound glows unearthly red as the Justifiers fall to the ground, convulsing-

"Huh?"

-and shrivelling up and sinking in on themselves. A moment later all that's left is clothing, their helmet and... Dust.

How is-? No, the one I dehelmeted is fine… Not drained, anyway. But-.

"Move!"

I fly an evasive pattern as the robot raises both hands, the damage undone and its flight systems restored, red light-.

"No you fucking-"

Railgun, target the hand with… mage slayer, but…

I pour orange light into the thaumovoric systems of the mage slayer round, needing it to consume what it touches. Then as the robot fires its right hand at me-

"-don't!"

-as Guy slams some sort of… Box construct over its right. I jerk sideways as Guy actually manages to contain the blast this time, the shot aimed at me scything through the houses behind me even as my railgun fires at its face. It hits home a fraction of a second later, and-. And it worked! The robot's left eye blinks off and on and the beam from its left hand goes out. Alright, I've got more of those, I can-

BOOM!

Can't see where it is. Not around us, at least.

Mage slayer, charge it. Let's see if I can hit something more vital this-

"Die for Mannheim." Life Is Fuel.

-time. Okay, I can't see any more Justifiers-. The boom tube, it brought them in out of line of sight. Darn it.

Red veins spread around its head, then its eye lights up as I rise above the rooftops and-. There! Graviton deflator! X-ionised knives and slice! I don't know if I can save their lives but I should be able-.

I watch them collapse into dust piles.

I can't save their lives.

Okay. Stay higher. They can't bring in heavy anti-air, and they'll need a head shot to kill me while the robot's defence-bypass power is active. That's manageable.

I fly upwards and towards the robot, which now has black veins running through the red-

The eyes light up and I fire a crumbler round at each one, Guy looking visibly relieved as lights flicker and dull.

-glowing parts. Not sure what that's ab-.

BANG!

Aeroplanes roar past as missiles explode all around me!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

'Mannseid', huh? As good a name as any for the dick. As for the Justifiers, short of removing limbs, I don't think there's any way to stop them from trying to fight, without them deciding to kill themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they can will themselves to die, even if totally restrained.

And as soon as you take down some, more pour in to replace them. They can throw the controlled population of anywhere they have an Alliance facility at you, I bet.

A mouth isn't exactly needed for a god-machine, after all. And for all you know, it has a full skull under the helmet, complete with concealed mouth.

So, without Finalty Man buffing them, they're irrelevant. Yet he keeps summoning them, even as you take them down instantly. What's he planning?

Apokaliptian defences. It's almost certainly powered by whatever Godhead the Finality Man is drawing on... Or possibly Godheads.

Heh, that's one way to get Guy moving: Make him angry.

Safe bet that would have done some damage, the way it reacted. Pity he can't throw that much energy around for long...

:confused: ...Uh, that's not a good idea. They're lightly spiced with Anti-Life. That thing is marinated in it, and stuffed to the gills.

Predictable! They're not so effective if you can see them coming...

Ouch. I think he just punched himself in the soul with Anti-Life...

I hope so! Let's hope none of that soaked in to your soul, or the Orange Light...

A bad idea, and not one worth trying again, thank you.

Well, at least you did some damage to it. But that kind of move is not sustainable.

More like a kick in the metaphysical nuts, really.

Well, thanks goodness for small mercies.

i don't think Guy's gonna let you keep trading those sort of blows, OL...

Well, shit. It can drain its minions to repair itself?

Nasty. We can but hope that has a long cooldown.

Middle of combat, OL, no time to stop and analyse the utterly horrible special move...

And even hauling it out of here, away from the Justifiers won't help, because it'll just Boom Tube more in...

Two can play the 'super-buff combo move' game, big bad bot.

...Until it eats more people, anyway.

Crap, he's summoned more fuel.

This is not the kind of battle of attrition you want to play...

And of course the range limit is way higher than the visible.

But you can try to avenge them.

Uh-oh, charging a super-move, or just a more severe dose of self-repair needed?

Okay, if OL can split his attention between doing that and blocking Boom Tubes, maybe they can grind it down...

Uh-oh. More Justifiers, or the local military leaping into the fight?

Bloody hell, that's a nasty move, draining its' mooks to repair itself using their life-force. The sort of thing that would make most heroic-types reluctant to attack it, if they learn people are at risk. Probably a good thing OL is trying to be less aggressively pragmatic, or he might have decided to just carry on despite that. As it is, they're going to have to be very smart about the damage they deal...

13. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Indeed. I think it also means any universe’s Darkseid with access to this fragment of anti-life is nearly impossible to kill on Apokalyps since he’d have so many sacrifices.

Too bad the phantom zone gun works slowly, it’d be helpful here. I wonder what would happen if Finality Man tried to sacrifice a Justified minion who is possessed by OL’s Hellwraith. There’s probably no answer, and the Justified are immune to possession due to anti-life or their helmets.

So Finality Man was once Infinity Man, a robot summoned by the Forever folks. I wonder if the fragments of the robot were transferred to new hosts. In that case, a telepath might be one option when it comes to stopping this robot- assuming their minds are not in a pocket dimension or something. Using telepathy around all of this anti-life would be harrowing though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  14. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Thought’
    I’m surprised that Paragon doesn’t say ‘aeroplanes’.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I think Darkseid is using Manheim as a proxy on purpose.

Remember the metaphysical rules Grayven explained about new gods, if they were calling for Darkseid and he hid from his enemies he would get power nerfed by the universe, but because everyone is calling for Manseid he can use him as a proxy lightning rod without weakening himself by not confronting the enemies of tyranny.

A tyranny that hides is a weak tyranny that is why Darkseid is not in full control of this clandestine operation.

17. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Crumbled or Mage Slayer? The latter seems more appropriate given prior context.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be crumbler. The SI found that it disrupted the eye beams during the charging part of the process.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"as they're thrown"

Shut, it looks like he's not immune.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yeah, this does not look good for the general populace. Honestly it's probably a good thing resistance is so isolated so the majority of the Justified don't kill themselves in their mission.

22. Perchance

Perchance Getting out there.

And lo, OL's repeated mentioning of being immune to the Antilife for some reason becomes relevant! I assumed he wouldn't be immune to a focused assault of it like this, so much as he's just so full of orange that things are too "loud" inside and he's too in tune with that "loudness" via enlightenment to hear the background noise of the infected thaumosphere. Atleast until he gets up close and personal with a speaker and jacks his headphones in.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

thaumovoric, I think

24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Not necessarily. Finality Man may share the property of Infinity Man that it's powered/summoned by a group of mooks, only twisted to Apokolips and able to be a parasite rather than a ?symbiosis?. In which case Darkseid may not have the same power.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Stsword

I'm guessing Zoat was inspired by Death of the New Gods for that bit.

It was revealed that the secret to Infinity Man's power was that New God souls when combined don't combine power via addition but multiplication.

So say if the Team had a similar symbiosis their Infinity Man would have the power of Dick plus Conner plus Megan plus Wally plus Kaldur.

The Forever People? Their Infinity Man has the power of Dreamer times Bear times Moonrider times Vykin times Serifan.

Darkseid collected the souls of the New Gods slaughtered by the Infinite Man in an attempt to challenge the Source itself. Because of course he did, he's always looking for a power up.

So my guess is that Zoat was inspired to make that symbiotic aspect of the Infinite Man parasitic for the Finality Man.

kerleth, Vorian, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  27. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Dreamer specifically said that Infinity Man was corrupted when they attempted to summon him (when they skipped Mount Justice because of Paulphidian). Whether that means this is what used to be Infinity Man or just based on him I would have no idea.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    22:32 GMT +1

"They have planes! Ring?"

The ring shows me an image of the cockpit in my mind's eye. Helmet. Plane's an F-35 Lightning with marking for the Royal Norwegian Air Force. Bit strange there's-

BANG! BANG!

-just.. one. Alright, what do I do about them? If I remember correctly, Norway is dithering about the direction of their defence procurement so these planes shouldn't have anything super advanced. Neither air-to-air missiles or cannons are going to do much to me, and since the area below has been evacuated shrapnel and falling bullets aren't a concern. I just need to down the planes before the robot gets free and uses its bypass power.

BOOM!

Graviton deflator.

"No shit! Y'got em?"

"In progress."

Downing a plane when you have a power ring is very easy. Downing a plane when you have a power ring and want whoever's in the plane to survive is fairly straight forward. Downing a plane when you have a power ring and want whoever's in the plane to survive without the wreckage setting the city on fire when the pilot will try to ram you in preference to ejecting is a little trickier.

Firstly, I fly out towards the sea. It will take me a little longer to support Guy, but-

BOOM!

Graviton deflator.

-I can still deal with the core parts of the job.

First plane banking to make its second run. Force beam projector off to the side. Slice through the neck of the plane, just behind the cockpit. Kinetic absorption field for the cockpit, trajectory of the body of the plane heading out to sea… Tumbling, but it's still not going to hit anything. Ignore. X-ionised knives slice into the cockpit, pilot reaching for-. Flare gun? Disarm, slice and drain. Helmet off, dump cockpit in the ocean, drop pilot on a bench by the-

"Anti-Life justifies their actions." Inalienable Truth.

-shore. Great, laser point defence constructs-.

Missiles fly towards me to be met by laser beams, punching through their flimsy outer casing and prematurely detonating their explosive-

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

-load and I yank myself around as most of the cannon rounds miss, agh, and I've been meaning to redo that hip anyway. Check line of fire on the second, reposition-

"One plane down, two left. You still there?"

"You used crumblers on the eyes, right?"

"Yes."

Plane starts turning move. Decapitate, kinetic absorption field-. Body of plane heading for-. The shoreline, and there are still people in that area. Ring, phone them and tell them to move. Construct cockpit to stabilise flight path, send it into the sea. Cut through the pilot's helmet, toss the cockpit and land the pilot. Last plane is-.

"Guy, evade!"

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

This one just gets an energy pulse because I need it to stop shooting more than I need anything else. The main body to the plane shatters, fuel tanks spraying and fuel igniting a moment later! Trigger the ejection system, kinetic-

BOOM!

-absorption field-

Graviton deflator.

-to catch most of the wreckage which hasn't exploded yet because the fuel isn't being contained but is burning nicely. Thrown it into the sea, catch the-

"Guy? Third plane down."

-seat, cut and drain through the helmet, drop off the pilot. No further planes here-

"Okaygreat."

-yet and I'm fully healed.

"Status?"

"Gone to ground, bleedin' like a pig."

I turn and fly back towards the… They've moved, tracking… There. Purple-

"Anti-Life justifies my actions." Inalienable Truth.

-healing-.

Red lightning scythes through the city as Guy frantically evades, boring a hole in the ground to duck under it and then weaving around as the red seems to.. drip down. I fire a volley of crumblers at the robot but some sort of… Barrier? Appears in the air and detonates them prematurely. Not a barrier, then. Just ionising the air would probably work, not to mention whatever New God technology that thing has.

Okay, clever dick. Crumbler shell.

In Harry Turtledove's WorldWar series, a German artillery detachment was able to bombard a Race landing zone and destroy several of their landing ships. The landing zone had point defences, but they were lasers designed to destroy incoming missiles and did absolutely nothing to heavy metal artillery shells other than mildly discolour the casing.

Most of my crumbler rounds aren't well armoured, because it's usually superfluous. That doesn't mean that I can't make armoured rounds.

Bit of tungsten, easy to crumble but capable of protecting the mechanism, aim and fire!

The round streaks through the air, and-. Gets about a metre further through the shielded area before being triggered.

Okay, cold gun. Absolute zero. Aim at the neck and fire.

Ice precipitates out of the air as the beam hits home, ice coating the area around-. Darn it, it's blocking this as well.

Fine. Construct battering ram go!

The construct shoots through the air, pushes past the robot's defences with no more than mild abrasions to show for it and then hits the robot directly in the neck hard. It staggers, some sort of energy I don't immediately recognise flickering and flaring around the impact site as its red energy lash cuts out and Guy gets a moment's respite.

Actually-.

I release Colin Thornton from my ring and attach filaments from the crumbler ram to him.

"Drain."

Lights on the robot flicker once more but this time there's no platoon of Justifiers for it to kill to heal itself. This time-.

"Cease." Final Stage of Existence.

This time my ring turns off and Colin fades away as the robot flies up to confront me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  29. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Kill switch in the ring? Time to bring the snake?

Silveraith and Cuchulin like this.
  30. BR549

Is this an intentional difference, or is it supposed to be 'their' again?

Vorian, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 3 others like this.