1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Doesn't he already know a lot of Johns, though?

Cuchulin, Vorian, Jaron and 1 other person like this.
  2. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Its

3. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

.... Is the fungus eating Anti-life?

Bud-E likes this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

My guess is the fungus is eating the rot caused by Anti-Life. If they could get rid of Anti-Life that easy I doubt Pam and Euthane would have locked themselves away.

Prince Charon and Handlewithcare like this.
  5. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

The fungoids seem to be opportunists, like a lot of bacteria that live on the skin. Interesting. Though having a being that feeds on decay and can cause it could be very useful in the future.

Handlewithcare likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Silveraith like this.
  7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

From previous days:
    ‘right hand’?
    ‘part’
    Holy shit that’s small. That makes Starbreaker eating the universe a lot less impressive. I mean, still incredible, but orders of magnitude less so.

From today:
    ‘Rot’?
    ‘led’
    Also, maybe ‘were’
    ‘casual’?
    ’fronds’?

Tangentially, I discovered and watched Freeman’s Mind over the last couple of days, and I saw a comment from the Mr Zoat YouTube channel on one of the episodes. Small world, or something.

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI doesn't know that that's a distinct place.
    No, I think that's okay.
    If a thing's popular enough, it's not that strange.

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Sure, but I think it’s at least worthy of a little surprise that I saw your comment of all the thousand plus that were there.

Prince Charon likes this.
  10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Given how much Zoat Loves the New 52 its surely that!

edit: rip that was wrong

I think the rot zombies are people, Brazil really shouldn't have gone the tree people route

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Just call it J.R. for short.

12. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    19:26 GMT -3

I fire another wave of flames down, the spore cloud that had been rising to meet us crackling and burning. No, not a cloud; it's more like a mist, diffuse and all-enveloping. The spacing is enough that I can't just burn the whole thing with a single gout of fire, though it does clear out the area around me. Which suggests that it's not aimed at me.

"Gary, you attacked me with spore clouds. This isn't an attack. What is it?"

"Home."

"Your home is filled with spores all of the time. You consider that normal."

"Yes, but that is not all. This will make this place part of home. When we are everywhere and everything."

Ah.

"Can you manipulate the spores?"

"I can make more."

"But can you control them?"

"No."
    Again, he… It? Makes a confused expression. "Can you control your seeds?"

"
    Yes, but it's not a common ability." And Jade finds it unsettling. "Are the others of your kind doing this deliberately, or is it automatic?"

"This..?" It floats down and waves its left arm through the miasma. Interestingly, they don't try settling on it or leaching its power. "No. This is simply a product of us being here."

"
    Can you destroy them?"

"Yes. It isn't hard. But not more easily than you can with fire."

"
    Can you recall them-" It gurns at me. I.. suppose I can see where it's coming from. "-or shut down the things producing them?"

"I could go lower and tear them out of the food. That would stop them. But they would become more faster than I could do it."

I peer down through the spore mist and spot the places where the growth is just beginning. Purging fire is looking more and more like the best option.

"Fine. Carry on."

He doesn't bother coming back up, flying through the upper part of the miasma in the direction of what I hope to be the origin point. The land below is looking more like a swamp rather than a forest of rotting redwoods, though I don't know if that's just because the fungus has been working here longer or because this is a different region of the Green.

Ring, are we..? Getting anything useful?

Lack of baselines makes accurate analysis difficult. Fungoid elementals have stunted emotional range by human standards. Fungoid elementals have stunted emotional range by observed dryad standards.

More emotionally simple than Euanthe.

Yes.

Naturally, or is that the Anti-Life?

Unknown. Lack of baselines-.

Yes-. Yes. "Gary, what do you want-" I let out another blast of fire to clear my way. "-out of life?"

"Nothing. I exist in continuity with my environment and nature."

"
    But you can talk."

"I was told that elementals emerge from the world's magic as a result of human expectations. I mimic humanity. I do not possess it. I am a fungus that can talk, not a human with fungus magic."

"
    Do you know the name 'Mannheim'?"

"I do now."

"
    Did you know it before now?"

"No. Maybe. I don't register human names. Just whether they smell like food or not."

"
    How about 'Darkseid' or 'Anti-Life'?"

"No."

"
    'No' as in 'definitely not', or 'no' as in ' I didn't register it'."

"Darkseid is just a name. Anti-Life, that has meaning. If someone had told me that something was Anti-Life, I would remember it. We near it."

I frown. "Anti-Life?"

"Home."

Then it's time to put a little more effort in. A huge fuel tank construct forms behind me, orange light being transmuted directly into fuel. Twelve fuel hoses project down, pilot lights burning faintly as I plot a firing solution. And… Burn.

WOOOOSH!

"Faster, please."

It accelerates down through the murk… Definitely reduced levels of illumination down here. Other fungoids… Larger ones, pull their way out of the mire below and adopt a hostile posture… For a few seconds before my hoses reach them and render them a non-issue. The ground they were hiding in proves to be a little more resilient to my attentions, the moisture oozing back from underground.

Don't worry about that. Flames to the sides and above, and follow Gary.

And… Huh. Some of the plants lying close to the ground aren't-. Don't appear to be dead. Not much: a few leaves and small sprouts. I move the flames to avoid burning them, using constructs to shield those that are too close to major piles of rot to be avoided. No coherent response from the fungoids, but I suppose… Fungi aren't exactly known for being proactive, and it's not as if I'm making a real difference to their numbers.

"We are near."

"
    Alright, what does-?"

And there's a huge tree, standing a good two hundred metres tall and.. sort of.. bent over. There's a faint green glow around it which appears to be keeping the spores at bay… Mostly. I see a small conk growing near the base, only for some sort of Venus flytrap mouth to chomp into it and tear it off. The wood beneath repairs itself a moment later. Further on, a part of the tree appears to be growing into the ground, the green glow there more intense.

"It look like."

Around the tree I see rows of the same sort of brambles around Brasília. The fungoids are attempting to break through, but they appear poorly organised. Their rot-based powers appear to make a degree of headway, only for a surge of growth to make good the Green's losses and cut into them.

I fly upwards to try and get a better view. The shape of the tree is… Odd. It looks more like three or four trees are growing together, which would make sense if the growth were directed, but-.

Oh.

The giant wooden form of Doctor Pamela Isley slowly turns its head to look at me.

13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The no should be orange as well.

14. aaa001

aaa001 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Spermatokinesis?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Looks like Ivy got transformed into a plant elemental.

Khornelius and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

This has me wondering if you can Anti-life Mr Smiley.

17. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

That sounds like a phenomenally bad idea, considering how plugged into the status quo it is. Around the level of Mannheim getting the Spear of Destiny bad.

LawWilk, Ardy, Cool10007 and 10 others like this.
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn, Pamela pulling through.

I guess she is actually better than Euanthe to combat the rot, as part human.

A nature spirit, for which rot is a necessary part of the lifecycle, is probably not as spiritually hardened as humans who did and do their best to invent things impervious to decay.

Lord Ernest, Ardy and NightmareWarden like this.
  19. Genocidecles

Genocidecles Know what you're doing yet?

That would kinda be like enforcing a depressing genre shift onto the DC brand. All their media, comics tv shows and movies, suddenly becoming 'Anti-Life' flavor. I imagine that would be unpleasant for people like Paul who live in there.

Ardy and Windona like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Man, OL is just roasting everything around him. Probably for the best. Any flesh the trees have lost to the fungi is dead, and as long as the trees have enough nutrients left in their root systems to begin regrowth, the fire is an inconvenience.

Well, of course he does.

Too bad for everyone and everything else, though.

To be fair, it's like breathing. Short of holding your breath or covering your mouth, there's not much you can do to manipulate what you breathe out.

...Define 'seeds'. :confused: Because OL has some freaky talents...

:eek: Oh god, we did not want to hear that. Ew. Odd reaction from the spores, though. The Construct Lantern doesn't register as being alive, but it didn't trigger any hostile response, either? Could be useful.

So, what you're saying is... Burninate the countryside?

Well, then. Not much use, are you?

Best to start at the edge and work your way inwards, then. Once the source is blocked, anyway.

I mean, how far have you flown? Not that time and distance mean all that much in an eldritch realm like this...

Not unexpected. Not much need for emotions when your only purpose is to consume and reproduce.

I expect 'insufficient data' or something...

Huh. To be fair, it probably does have more cognitive abilities now than it used to.

Very easy-going, then.

To be fair, that logic works. Humanity looms large within Earth's thaumaturgic networks, with its' minor variations like Atlanteans a mere blip in the noise. Belief shapes existence, and all that.

What would a fungus have needed names for? It is what it is, and all else is fodder.

Which is a worthwhile question, as both terms do have metaphysical weight to them...

Ah, good catch. After all, it has little need to differentiate between the aspects...

Interesting. VEry interesting. Even the Black has a concept of what should not be...

Praise the Emperor and pass the blessed promethium! Catachan Guardsmen would feel right at home.

...There must be a hell of a lot of it down there...

Heh. Not much defence against being incinerated before you can even assume a battle-ready pose. :p

Looks like the Green is already fighting back, with a little of the pressure off.

They most be close to a major node of green consciousness, then, if it's taking direct action. Looks like you've found someone.

Heh. Regrowing faster than they can consume. But how long can the being keep that up before they expend all the resources nearby?

...Nice. I guess you could say she's now got huge tracts of land? :p

Well, then. Looks like Ivy done evolved into Alraune. (And boy, if that ain't an easy subject to find a worksafe image for... x3 So many monster girls...) I wonder if it was her own doing, Euanthe's, or some kind of mystical accident. At any rate, I bet this has really improved her ability to command plant-life. Which she's definitely in need of, with what's going on...

Other fungoids… Larger ones, pull their way out of the mire below and adopt a hostile posture…

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

What does conk mean? I tried looking it up for an obscure definition, but I couldn’t see any that fit.

Bud-E likes this.
  22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wonder if this is how she becomes the May Queen in this continuity- or attracts the attention of that elemental if it exists.

Trees and fungi have important symbiotic relationships in real-life, but I'm not sure how much of that translates to how the Grey and the Green interact in comics canon. Though this is the Grey and not the Black that was used by Anton Arcane, right?

JeckJack and Vorian like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It would explainj a lot, though.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Flat fungus growth projecting from the side of a dead or dying tree.

24. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Most of the chapter is orange. I don't think that's on purpose.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Hm -

There's a missing /COLOR tag after that first "...

..and another after the " at the start of this...and another after the " at the end that is spilling over to make the rest of the chapter a harbinger of Orangest Night.

26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I don't know why, but everything from here on and below is orange to me.

27. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

As mentioned above, there's a (few) missing closing tag(s) in the chapter. It's a lot more readable in the story only thread.

28. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

So that's confirmation the fungoids aren't controlled by anti-life and are just taking advantage of the situation and vibing. Poison Ivy will probably be glad for the help.

Given some eras of comics and certain media adaptations, that would explain a thing or two...

Lord Ernest likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Fuck you, Xenoform. Fuck you.

Yes, I know that it looks like it makes sense to amalgamate two areas of the same colour when they're next to each other, but actually I PUT THOSE TAGS THERE FOR A FUCKING REASON! They can be used to indicate very differnt things and I don't appreciate you moving them around for me!

And another thing. When I edit something and then click on save, I want you to save it. If I didn't want you to save it, I wouldn't have clicked on 'save'. I would have clicked on 'cancel' or 'x'. So when I edit something and save it and realise that I missed something and click on 'edit' again, DON'T GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS ITERATION!

Okay. I'm good.

c3qo, Duke Long, BR549 and 14 others like this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Should that say 'looks'?