1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Goddammit, that was supposed to be 'infection'. I thought I fixed that typo... :oops:

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

A Google indicates that the word for fear of decay is ‘seplophobia’
    Missing full stop.
    ’roars’, since ‘hurricane’ is singular.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Silveraith and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

A Google indicates that 'selpophobia' is 'fear of decaying matter', not 'fear of decay or decaying'.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is that from Last Of Us?
    Shouldn't that be seniumphobia then?

5. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

The Silver did not emerge, it was caught and made into an up grade for Hephaestus.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

No. 'Clickers' is the accepted humanoid-friendly name for the insectoid species that make up the majority of the Orange Lantern Corps and Darkstars. Since they're not humanoid their derangements are different to ours, and 'burrow-guarding' is one of them.
    No. For example, arachnophobia isn't arachnidophobia.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was a Titan Seed, not an elemental Kingdom.

Cuchulin, Bud-E and Doccer like this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I as rereading this part, and noticed this error. That should say 'Dragon Ball Z'.

9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I've seen it spelled both ways, and I think I've even seen it spelled Dragonball Z in official art.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

In official art? I doubt it, but in any case, Eris doesn't like it so why would she care how it's pronounced/written? She may be saying it wrong on purpose as well, just to needle the Illustres.

11. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G9VHN9PPW/dragon-ball-z

Look at the official logo there.
    Matches what I remember from watching the cartoon during the original run.

It may be supposed to be two words, but the stock footage (and it you know anything about old cartoons, stock cartoon footage gets a lot, and I mean a lot, of air time) had it all as one scrunched together thing. DRAGΘNBALL Z

Prince Charon and kerleth like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    19:35 GMT -3

Ah.

So that's what it feels like to have fungus growing out of you.

And-and not… Tech-technically decay-.

Instinctively I reach up with my left hand to remove whatever's obscuring the vision on my left side, only to remember that I'm wearing power armour and-.

Utter rejection.

And there are better ways to get fungus out of your eye socket than pulling it out manually.

"E-huhg."

And out of your face.

Warning: low power. Fifteen percent remaining.

And rings. Assimilate!

"You would feed upon the Gray?"

"It's the circle of life! You feed on rotting wood and animals and other animals feed on you! It doesn't matter to you as long as there are fungi left, because fungi as a class keep existing! You need wood to eat and if you kill all the plants here then that will immediately stop being the case!"

"We must feed!"

"But do you need to eat everything right now?!"

"It may be gone."

"It's been here for billions of years. Why would it go now?"

"It may be gone."

"What is killing the Green right now?" Through the burning spores and smoke I can dimly see… Something. An outline, the occasional hard edge. Parts of it are moving, and I think it's getting closer but given its size I think my sense of scale is being thrown off. "Because it looks like it's you. You're trying to permanently kill the thing the Grey needs to feed off. The Green doesn't care about you eating the occasional plant that was dying anyway, but this will doom you both! And I know-"

"We are doomed anyway. We must fight for every moment."

"-that you feel like it's all inevitable anyway, but that's the result of a spell!"

"No, we are too vast, too old-."

"Everything's being affected. The fungoid told me that he thought that the trees here are edible because of some sort of magic. You feel that too, right?"

"It was different, but that does not matter."

"No! It matters! You've been entranced!"

"Impossible."

"Did you feel like this yesterday?"

"Yesterday..?"

"Or the day before, or the day before?"

"No…"

"What changed, then? The lesser fungoids might just be acting on instinct, but you're more complex than that. Aren't you?"

"It feels like you're lying to protect this growth."

"'This is the natural outcome of building anything: it falls apart and is picked over by people who could never imagine its glory.' That's what you're thinking, isn't it? That's what I felt when my power touched yours."

"It is. Among other things."

"You feel it so deeply that you can't even imagine building anything anymore. You can't see any point. All that's left is grabgrabgrab, to take everything you can in whatever time you have."

"Yes."

"It's lying to you. The Anti-Life is a cynical, miserablist lie. My allies and I are fighting to get it removed. Do you want that?"

"You would try to control me?"

"I would try to remove the control that's already there! Because it's not just you, but you being affected affects everything else. Do you like feeling like this?"

"No."

"Do you want to go back to feeling like you did yesterday?"

"I am not sure that there was a yesterday."

"That's part of what it does. Look, if you back off-." There's a movement in the murk. "For a moment, for a moment! I can help you remember how things are supposed to be, supposed to feel."

"I saw what you did to Gary."

Ah.

"Not like that. With you-. The whole of you, that would make things worse. Earth needs the Grey to exist, and the Grey needs the Earth to exist. Apokolips doesn't, and they're the ones who are making you feel like this."

It doesn't respond immediately, and in the quiet I can hear… Weakened wood breaking, bursting as rotten fibres give up the ghost.

"I'm sorry to have to rush you, but the Green is on the verge of death."

"What do I need to do?"

That sounded different. Not in tone, in the… Presence, behind it.

"Do you remember the area that you and yours used to occupy?"

"Yes."

"Can you call all of your kind who are here, all the fungoids, all the spores, everything, through the opening and return there?"

"Yes."

"Without doing more damage to the Green?"

"… Yes."

"I'm just writing off the things you've already destroyed. If a plant's dead then it's dead."

"Yes. And then?"

"I'll come through with you and try and fix it. If I can't, I'll call in other people better equipped than me. Is that acceptable?"

Spores fall from the air, and I get a oh my that is a big fellow!

"Yes."

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Diplomacy for the win! I always like it when ancient beings who think they know better than short-lived humans are proven wrong and are forced to fix their messes.

redleo37, Prince Charon, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  15. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Man, The Grey is really growing on me, to be honest.

Like a mold. Or a fungus.

:V

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  16. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Does the Grey not remember yesterday because of Anti-Life or because fungus has no concept of time?

17. Karmic Acumen

Karmic Acumen The long-suffering one

A fungUS. Fungi is plural. :\/

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And not in the 'bad case of athlete's foot' sense, eh? Still, as long as his brain is unaffected, he should be all right... Until his ring charge runs dry. And then he gets to experience what Cordyceps victims do...

...Was wearing power armour, I suspect. That or the Avatar-thing he's facing can cause spontaneous transmutation...

...Yeah, that would be the hardest of Nopes. Only a Nurgle cultist would find that enjoyable...

:eek: Noooope.

Talk about racing the clock. On multiple levels, even...

Ah, pointing out the short-sightedness of 'eat all the things'... Interesting tack.

Give it a day or two, see if you're still in the mood then...

True, short of the planet exploding, ecological breakdowns are not quick.

Sadly, it's so full of Anti-Life that its nihilism is off the scale.

Not that much of the Grey has the cognitive processes to comprehend magic...

Like in an old cartoon, where the utterly tantalising scent can literally hook a toon by the nose and pull them along...

Because even the Grey can understand that something can be 'not right'.

To be fair, do fungi of the Grey, even ones complex enough to carry on a philosophical discussion like this, have any sense of time?

Then again, they probably do feel the subtle cycle of 'grow, release spores, cease'.

It does seem about as close as the Grey can get to having an Avatar, really.

Wow, it's actually cognizant enough to recognise the possibility of falsehood... Heck, even comprehending the concept of falsehood is a huge step...

And holy shit, OL's actually getting through to it. Must be acing his Diplomacy rolls hard.

Now the Avatar-thing is starting to realise that this is badwrongnotwant, and not how it should be, isn't it?

'Me', huh? Interesting shift of perspective.

To be fair, 'yesterday' would be a nebulous concept in its newly sophont mind.

Since now it recognises that 'this is not how things should be', eh? Well done, Treebeard.

...Amusing that it uses OL's name for the fungoid...

Let's hope that's not Ivy going down for the count...

...And it speaks without nihilism. Impressive.

Since as an Avatar of sorts, it can command and control its Kingdom, its citizens...

Nice. Getting exactly what was needed. Now, will the Grey go along with that?

A fair question, especially if the growths are reluctant to give up their conquests.

Keep what you kill? It's a classic.

Oh, boy. This is gonna get even grosser, isn't it?

And why do I suddenly get the feeling it's something like Chakravatin Jagganoth?

Hoo boy. I hope he at least gets a chance to recharge before heading into the Grey-realm. Otherwise, this is gonna be chock-full of body horror. :oops: ...Not that it hasn't been so far. I suppose anything involving the Elemental Kingdom of decay is gonna feel icky. Still, if this means the pressure is off the Green, then it counts as a win. Or as close as it'll get while the Anti-Life broadcast is still underway.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Anti-Life.

It makes all you've done and accomplished in the past seem meaningless, so it can also fuck up your sense of time.

People with depression have sometimes reported that they can't keep track of time and what feels like hours were in fact weeks, or what felt like weeks were just days or hours.

DAT_NOOB, Vorian, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's kinda like Ares' deal in the comics on why he won't start a nuclear war.

True, the mass death may empower him, but everyone would die and he'd be deprived of food.

Good point.

Those giants in Tartarus said that time is for mortals, so the Grey may feel the same.

I'm kinda reminded of Gaia from the Iron Druid books.

She basically talked about the dinosaurs like she just saw them last week.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope Paul will be able to find some sort of ally in the Grey when this is all over.

Prince Charon, kerleth and _The_Bomb like this.
  22. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Which is why diplomacy is working: anti-life is enforcing a sense of time, of false mortality to a thing that cannot know mortality natively.

Cuchulin, Ardy, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  23. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I, for one, am not lichen it.

24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I like this term. Quite amusing.
    ’affects’, I think. Though I’m not really sure.

25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

As is right and proper. *nods in green arbyfish*

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I wasn't either. Anyone else?

27. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

No, they're both effect in this use case.

28. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

By my lights, 'affects' is what I think you're saying. While you can effect (cause) change, you affect (change) people and things. Effects affect things.

29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Diplomacy FTW. I always like it when an issue that can be solved with a reasonable conversation... is. I have a feeling it's a prelude to a champion of the Grey too.

30. JeanEricVillon

JeanEricVillon Getting out there.

It should be "affects", yes.

You can affect an effect, or modify an occurring event or condition. You can affect an affect, by modifying someone's mood. You can effect an affect, by bringing about a mood. You can effect an effect, by bringing about an occurring event or condition.

Windona, Xmaster3000 and m_d like this.