1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Except it is also a verb that means "to cause to happen" (instead of "to modify")...

2. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

...why English

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, she corrected his presumption that she only killed men because she liked women. She killed the people she killed because she hated them.

4. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Was it truly hatred or just something colder in pursuit of her crusade?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  5. Mr Zoat

She didn't crusade because she really liked pollution.

6. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

My point is, secondarily that you did not establish that she liked women but ONLY that she killed men because she hates the pollution they are responsible for and likely would have killed women of they were the CEOs responsible instead, and primarily it just seems like you are rehashing the very same conversation here (but in reverse?) like you somewhat forgotten that you've already had it. Seems strange.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Plants do a lot more than just feeding people or animals and without them doing those things at their best a lot of damage will happen.

He may have forgotten about it, since he tends to write a lot, so he may not always write down notes or remember something he wrote moths or even years ago.

Doccer likes this.
  8. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yeah, but I figured Ivy would probably go "Oh btw the world is going to have so much less oxygen the next few years" before mentioning low crop yields, so I'm assuming it's not an issue there. Guess we'll see if there's suddenly a ton of plants dying because of the damage the Green sustained.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I kind of feel like I should point out here that The Green is a universe wide force.

kerleth and Bud-E like this.
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

True, but I think that under most circumstances, each planet's version of the Green isn't connected to other versions on other planets.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not the way I'd word it.

Rather, the elemental powers are universal, the management is local.

After traveling in space by making bodies on other planets, Swamp Thing pulled a "you and what army?" on the Parliament of Trees by calling on the backup of three other planets- the Moon, Rann, and Technis.

If they weren't connected Swamp Thing wouldn't have been able to do that, and if they weren't connected he wouldn't be able to use his Green chlorokinesis to make bodies on other planets to begin with.

It's just the Green of Rann, connected though it is, isn't in the habit of interfering, but Swamp Thing demonstrated that it certainly can.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Jaron and 5 others like this.
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, I'd think there'd be a number of active magical traditions on Earth 16 that made use of some aspects, and might contact the Grey to make them more potent, among other things.

kerleth, Xmaster3000 and Duke Long like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    19:59 GMT -3

"I did not realise that you were capable of such subtle manipulation."

Dr. Balewa walks through the Grey, hands shimmering faintly as he does his best to ward the plane against the influence of the Anti-Life. It turns out that it's currently impossible to block it, and the best he can do is limit its influence. At least until we can work out how to purge the Earth's thaumosphere completely.

"I just worked it out. But I don't think that I can get better than this."

"Could Lantern Gardner do the same thing?"

"Maybe. I don't know. I think that the mental process involved might be antithetical to the green light, but I could be wrong. I've never tried to work out what a strong-willing plant would be like. Or what would motivate one to become strong-willed."

"Adversity, I think."

"The fungoids seemed a bit too fatalistic for it to work for them. What have I missed?"

"We hev… A plan. It is not a plan which makes me… I do not like it. But it is all we hev."

"Okay? What don't you like about it?"

"The Anti-Life encourages people affected by it to behave according to certain patterns. Scott Free spoke to us of the Lowlies of Apokolips."

I nod.

"It seems that if a person acts as a New God, the Lowlies will instinctively treat that person as one. Even if they are not the source of the Anti-Life broadcast."

"Even if they're not a New God?"

"So it appears."

I can't help but smile. "So the League are going to act like New Gods. In order to stabilise their home cities."

"It will turn the Earth into a war zone, as those enslaved to Mannheim fight against the people ruling everywhere else. This… Pattern has already begun to emerge as strong-willed brutes dominate those around them." He shakes his head in frustration. "Because why not?"

"Because.. the things that usually stop people doing things like that are suppressed by the Anti-Life. Morals aren't important. Righteousness and piety are… Lies. Lies, before the unmeetable stare of Mannheim."

"Yes."

"Can they cope?"

"I don’t know. I don't know." He shakes his head. "We think thet the robot will need some time to repair itself. Members of 'Task Force X' are being sent to hunt and destroy the helmets where they are stored and made. We can hold. If they are not reinforced from Apokolips, we can hold. And… I hev no better answer."

"I've still got a few hours left. Is there anything else I can do?"

"Betman wants you to gather information. To see what the rest of the world is like. There are… Only so many people who can risk taking part in this mission. And there are people whom we wish you to bring to a place of safety, and to relay messages."

"There aren't enough Justice League members… Even if you include the entire trainee team, there aren't enough to righteously dominate more than a tiny portion of Earth. Are people being nominated?"

He nods sadly. "There is a list of superhumans whom we think can do what is necessary. Not all will be protected… Outside what is offered by their new role."

"If that's the best you can come up with, then it's probably the best option that there is."

"It is a failure on my part."

"But think how much worse it would be-"

We step through the green portal in the air leading back into the Green, and Dr. Balewa closes it behind us once we're through.

"-if you hadn't joined the Justice League."

The area around the portal is a maze of thorns, thick and dangerous. They look like the wall outside of Brasília, but in an even more elemental place I'm going to assume that they're even less constrained by mundane matter.

We stop and wait for a moment, then the thorns shift aside to give us access to the rest of the Green.

It's… Better?

There's grass, and t-. Ah.

They didn't try rebuilding the Green from scratch. They shifted Brasília here. Yes, if they put all the Green energy they could into the city, then shifting in here would be the best way to restore the locus. There's a haze of mist in the air, but now it's regular water vapour in the manner of a damp jungle during summer and not doom spores.

And in the distance, outside the limits of the city, I can see my tree, now by far the tallest structure here.

It's… A sound decision, and Euanthe appears to have demilitarised the place enough that the plants look leafy and fruitful. My only concern is where Swamp Thing is and where the Parliament ended up, because either could form a back door, and… I don't think this is something that we could repeat.

"I will see to the wards."

"I'll find Euanthe."

I rise into the air, then freeze as plants shift into a defensive posture, flowers and leaves vanishing and hardened seedpods emerging. I raise my hands.

"Friends, plants. Friends."

I wait, uncertain if they're… Considering it, or if they're reporting to Euanthe for review, or… Something along those lines. After a few moments they relax slightly, leaves still in a defensive posture. But the offensive parts return to their 'at rest' mode, and I take that as a sign that I can move. I go up, trying to-.

Ah. There she is.

I fly at speed towards the grass field outside the city limits that Euanthe is walking through. She's in her combat body, antediluvian thorn armour on display and blades at the ready. Where she walks, plants of various kinds emerge from her footsteps, a wave of growth which spreads in all directions.

"Euanthe?"

She ignores me, walking… In the direction marked by my tree.

I drift after her, watching the plants springing up in her wake.

"The souls of trees, ancient and primal. And now… They are gone. Mortality, even in the eternal Green."

"I'm sorry."

"I would not weep for a single tree, a single bush, but this… I don't have words, I don’t have… Thoughts!" She shakes her head in anguish. "I don't know if I can make it again, if I can bring the souls of plantkind here and make them home. Dryads are near-meat, near-Red. It shouldn't be me who has to-!"

"What happened to the Parliament?"

"I don’t know. They didn't come to me, didn't stay to die with their charges. The Great Champion is in the world somewhere and I don't know where."

"Things don't go the way they should. They go the way they go. And if you're here, and they're not… If you're doing the job and they're not… Hail Queen Euanthe of the Green."

At that she stops, turning back to me with her hard wooden head staring at me.

"Queen. Eldest sister. I have grown much since we first met, and I wish with all my heartwood that I had never left Mother's glades. I wish I could run carefree through field and glen, troubled only by faun or woodsman. I wish I could be so simple once more. But if there is no one else, then I must."

"Well…" I look over to the tree, where Dr. Isley is checking its health. "You don't need to do it on your own."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  14. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

They.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's probably seen something like that happen more times than he cares to.

Prince Charon, kerleth, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That is an utterly horrible plan...

Like, just blowing up the transmitters is a better plan then that...

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Euanthe has certainly gone up in the world. Does this make her a peer or superior to her own mother, Gaia? Also, I really hope more people who respect the Green will in turn respect Paul due to his role in Euanthe's ascension.

Edit: I thought Gaia was Euanthe's mother, not grandmother? Or is she referring to someone else and I'm just misunderstanding her?

Consort Pamela Isley of the Green? Or maybe she can go with one of the more recent aliases she took in the comics: Queen Ivy?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  18. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I think the issue is that Riddler and Batman are failing to track down what exactly they need to destroy to stop the effect at the source.
    It may not be the machine from the beginning of this event, or any of the things the Alliance has built the couple of times things they were building have popped up in the story.

Vorian, kerleth, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Shortly after...
    ...He stumbles over the answer.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Which could take some time even after they end the broadcasts. Looks like Earth-16 may be a gloomy place for the next while, no matter what. Hopefully, it recovers quickly, even without the Narrative power of Status Quo.

So, all that orange last chapter was kind of an off-the-cuff idea? Maybe you should do the 'flying by the seat of your pants' thing more often, if it works out this well.

...So, turning plants into scrabbly things that survive no matter what you do to root them out. Pretty sure there's already a few plants like that. :p

So, that bad, huh? Still, if it saves humanity from utter domination at the hands of Darkseid's agent, then needs must, whatever the cost to their personal beliefs...

So, what, you're going to have him counter-broadcast Freedom? How... American.

Huh... :confused: Oh, I see where this is going. And no wonder Doctor 'Non-interference' Mist is so against it...

Then again, Lowlies probably have a severe penalty to opposing Bluff checks. :p

At least with the League doing it, you know the people they're commanding will be better protected. Because there are some real monsters out there who are probably capable of managing it...

And that's what's got Balewa grumbling? That they're having to take advantage of it?

Though much of it is contingent on Apokalips sitting back and waiting...

People like members of the League's families, eh? Understandable, and if they know their loved ones are safe, they'll be more focused about rescuing everyone else.

On the other hands, those who have already succumbed might switch sides, especially if they aren't running around with Justifier helmets on...

Blame the one responsible for forcing this situation to come about in the first place, Doctor. Just picture the dumbfounded look on Mannheim's face when his control collapses... And maybe picture yourself punching that face afterwards.

Well, halfway back to the real world.We'll soon see what happened there...

Up to and including moving with unnatural haste and grace?

It's a start, I guess?

And in the process, leaving the city a barren wasteland of concrete and bare earth? I suppose it's even more inhospitable now, then.

Yes, where are the proper defenders of the Green? They seem to be derelicting their duty, if they allowed this to happen...

Whoops. Looks like their IFF recognition still needs a little work.

I half picture one making the 'I'm watching you' gesture, even though they don't have eyes. Or hands.

So, more or less in full Kurnothi mode? Interesting to see the fertile feet on display, though.

I suppose it's as good a landmark as any. Wonder if it's going to grow orange flowers...

Casualties of an unexpected, unwanted war, sadly.

Well, until someone higher-ranked shows up, you're elected.

Huh. Could be that the Anti-Life hit them hard... Could be that they fled in the face of it...

Yeah, OL does sound a little crazy, doesn't he?

OL, you inveterate troll. Quit matchmaking, and let them find each other naturally.

So, another incident brought to a close. Not necessarily a satisfactory one, but at least the Grey isn't trying to eat the Green right now. And probably this episode too, barring a few glimpses of OL doing the scouting and rescuing thing. And unless they can wrap things up in the next couple of hours, that's all he's going to be doing, since his deadline to get to NEMO's aid is about due...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  21. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Thought:

Paul was mostly getting anti-life'd from the robot when in contact with it or draining from it.

The other touch-range difference in effect between him and things aimed at him, is that his tattoos are absolute scryblockers at a distance and have no effect at zero range.

Is this a clue as to where the anti-life is coming from?
    That whatever the source it might need to scry and find a target before transmitting to them?
    Find Constantine or Chantelle to test it.

Well there are so many unusual things about Paul that the other guesses at what's going on might not be red herrings and it may have nothing to do with his scry block.

Also I am 100% sure paragon real Grayven is colluding with the Reach to time this coming offensive.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I can actually see the Joker potentially thriving from this.

Heck, he may actually be able to internalize the Equation and actually use it himself.

Assuming someone who isn't a New God could do that.

Vorian, kerleth, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Giant Laser Beam From Space all the Alliance of the Just buildings down to the bedrock first.

Then, if that doesn't work, have Scott Free open a boom tube to Apokolips and shoot a giant singularity projector through it till the planet no longer exists.

Then, if that doesn't work, send the entire Justice league to the rubble of Apokolips and have them punch the faces of any survivors till they beat down Darkseid.

Enochi likes this.
  24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yikes. They want to turn Earth into fiefdoms of "benevolent warlords", really?

And I still don't get why the Reach has priority over protecting the Life entity.

Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

And the dandelions shall inherit the Earth.

...well it's either them or sandspurs.

Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.

One, drawing attention to 'we're protecting this planet' will make people wonder why you're protecting it.

Two, little point in utterly saving Earth if the entire rest of the universe is on-mode.

26. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

...Having the Justice League play Apocalyptian New God, all the while the other people of the world play Lowlie?

Yeah. This has Stanford Prison Experiment vibes all over it. I doubt this will end well. Especially with Anti-Life blaring out of the metaphorical boombox basically 24/7

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

From yesterday:
    I think the first sentence should be more like ‘are any of you friends with anyone?’ or ‘is anyone friends with any of you?’ I don’t think it’s wrong, but it is awkwardly worded to my eyes.

From today:
    It’s usually ‘hev’ in Balewa’s accent.
    ’hev’?

Good chapter. Very interesting.

Ardy, Assblaster5000, Mr Zoat and 2 others like this.
  28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

The Kudzu will defeat them both.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Congratulations on finding one of the few things I have more contempt for than Nu52.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The SI wasn't expecting an affirmative answer.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Contempt, hatred, or revulsion? I want specificity here.