1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plus boom tubes are really hard to interdict without New God tech IIRC.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, any Ascendant still alive down there is likely half-mad, feral or outright psychotic. Not the kind of person you want commanding a Reach ship. Pity about the remaining locals, but if they're too closely bound to their Ascendant master...

Oh, the Nemesis is still on the line? Tell him to bugger off, and then get the heck out of dodge with the bystanders...

...You really think OL used every trick in his playbook?

:V Ha! Clever Ring VI.

Ah, going to try and talk them out of it before you lay in with the cold shoulder?

Honestly, it didn't really delay him that long. What, five minutes total? (Seriously, check the timestamps...)

Literally weaponising 'Fuck you, that's how.' Surprisingly handy if you have a direct quantum-entangled tap into the embodiment of universal Want.

I shudder to imagine the gravitational flux it's in, based on the weird lensing effects he's been seeing.

And as Thiva noted, the Ascendant ships weapons are 'insufficient' to put up much of a fight, even if those aboard came out to fight.

In other words, even the warships are crammed with elderly and young refugees...

Ah, their leader is going to talk? At least beating the Scarab will give OL a bonus to his social checks.

And I can't help hear this in anything but a bright and cheerful tone of voice. :D

Indeed, you've only suffered one loss in how many bouts? Pretty good.

Yes, I rather suspect if he'd encountered a Lantern, he wouldn't be here now...

Possibly too valuable for the commodore here to abort his assault, even if he wanted to... The price of failure is likely high.

And I doubt they've got anything that would bother him.

Now, what will the answer be? Fatalistic, realistic, or...

Foolishly overconfident it is.

Ask yourself this, Commodore: Is today a good day to die?

I suppose it depends on how willing the commodore is to sacrifice himself for the state.

And you have to wonder how committed his crew are. A few bridge officers with less conviction...

Clock's ticking, Commodore. Surrender or fight? Live... Or die?

Gee, you think? Between all the strange and dangerous new energies you've soaked up... I can't wait to see the face of the Maltusian who looks at that soul...

Cold-related puns optional. And possibly unlikely to be understood, translation bedamned.

A New Challenger Has Appeared!

Oh, a Grayven Interrupt. Bet he's come looking to collect what Sparta owed him.

Well, this is turning into quite the New year's Day. At this point, I'm amazed OL isn't reaching the point of going 'Oh, sod this...', grabbing the Ascendant refugee ships and hauling ass, gravity-warping or no gravity warping, through the power of Do Not Want. Let the Reach play patty-cake with Big Gray over what's left of Karrakan, and save the people you can...

4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

This seems fucked up, because it's basically asserting that Grayven is worse then the Reach.

In order from of horribleness, I'd go:
    1: Darkseid
    2: The Reach
    3: Grayven

Where Darkseid is eternal 1984+, the Reach is a Nazi holocaust crusade scaled way up in terms of both scope and refinement.

Grayven just wants to conquer everyone into his empire. He's all the bad parts of Colonial Imperialism, writ large and IN SPACE. Bad like the British Empire is bad, but not as bad as the others. OL's weighting scale seems fucked in the head here.

5. monochromaticPrism

monochromaticPrism Getting out there.

He wants them to fight with Grayven because any experience they gain in fighting new gods is nearly 1:1 applicable when fighting Darkseid’s forces.

In this case he probably hopes fighting Grayven will make them bold enough to finally try stamping out the thorn in their prideful collective psyche that is that one nearby region of space that is functionally untouchable to them.

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This Grayven wants to conquer everyone into his empire, yes.

His empire that is still on pretty good terms with Darkseid, in the end.

You'll notice OL said he wanted the Reach to bone up on fighting New Gods, not fighting Grayven. He has his eyes on the prize - defeating Darkseid - and sometimes you have to play realpolitik to get to the end goal.

There's also the fact that, even setting aside Big, Gray, and Tyrrany, he's going to have to fight Grayven-16 eventually, and the more the Reach can wear him down militarily and prevent Grayven from metaphysically Asserting His Empire before then, the less NEMO will have to deal with when they reach that point.

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

This means Grayven could have infiltrators in the Reach. I mean… if Scott Free could sneak a bunch of the Justice League onto Apokalyps for a rescue mission, I can believe Grayven has some spies in the reach. Or some device which allows him to eavesdrop on the Reach better than anything the Maltusians can make,

We’ve seen Renegade!Paul’s conquest powers. We’ve seen that he didn’t radically expand the scope of his abilities while fighting for X decades in the future against Artemis. Now of Grayven had previously conquered this planet, then I could see this skirmish pinging his godsense from anywhere in the galaxy. But we don’t know that’s what happened. another possibility is that, following Paul and Grayven’s last confrontation where Paul screwed with Grayven’s mind in order to not give up a metaphysical win by “fleeing,” Grayven marked Paul somehow. The new god kept a tab on his status and warmed up the portal-maker when he detected Paul’s struggles.

With all that said… I have no idea how this situation will shake out.

8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Grayven explicitly allowed the citizenry to absolutely genocide dozens of pre industrial races and turn their entire populations into food for his army, so your analysis is extremely wrong.

Darkseid leads to universal death of self and must be stopped from achieving that goal by any means necessary.

The Reach are slow methodical genociders, they do keep some extremely useful aliens around for significantly longer in reserves.

Grayven and his forces are speedrun genociders they may keep around useful individuals from weaker races, but for the most part if you are weak, you are no better than food.

On that scale the Reach are the lesser evil because they take their time before erasing your entire species from the face of the universe and are actually at least willing to negotiate in bad faith. If you are a strong species/individual then Grayven is better than the Reach, but not by a lot.

The Reach saw the chicken people and thought "I wonder if they could be useful"

Grayven would just see them as chicken tenders regardless of how smart they are.

9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

100% with you on this

10. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    20:57 GMT

I narrow my eyes slightly as the central Reach dreadnought's mid section is vaporised, the colossal beam of energy working its way back towards the Absolute Dominion's hyper blaster. RUINATION!

Heh.

"Ring, message to the Absolute Dominion: go get 'em, Grayven."

Other, smaller ships fly through the boom tube behind the Dominion. And… Those aren't gordanian ships. They're… More like what the Ascendants use, which makes perfect sense given the source. And they'll probably have-.

Was… Sparta talking complete nonsense about the state of Karrakan's surface? Was it actually fine and he was-? No, Thiva would have checked-.

"Ring, get me Thiva again."

Compliance.

"Holy Grandmother. Illustres, can you feel that? His… Power. Who is that?"

"That's Grayven, Sparta's sponsor. And I'm afraid that I can't-"

A second dreadnought is hit, its central section disintegrated, fore and aft drifting apart with surprising gentleness as the Reach fleet starts to try to reposition itself. RUINATION!

"-feel it as I'm not a god myself. I've got to ask: how much effort did you put in to trying to rescue people from Karrakan?"

"I don't understand."

"You see that the ships accompanying Grayven's flagship are very similar to the ones you're using? He had to get Ship Masters from somewhere."

"I spoke to several myself. Or-. I tried to. They would not hear me."

"Did they know that you were allied with Sparta? Or that Sparta had been overthrown? Because they might have turned you away for that reason."

"I didn't ask. I just…"

"Right, fine. He might be willing to take you on; if that's something you're interested in it would probably be best if you contacted him directly. Otherwise, I'm betting on him over the Reach, so we should be out of here soon."

"If he wishes to speak with us, he can come to New Othrys."

"I've got a suspicion he will. Ring, add the Reach ships in front of me to the channel."

"Compliance."

"So I'm guessing that you're getting new orders about now."

Their primary weapons open fire on the Ascendants. It's at the very limits of its effective range and New God shielding is very good, but the intent is clear.

"Yes. We are to deny Grayven all resources, no matter the cost."

"That's a real shame."

End. And fire.

The cold beam lances out, hitting the Reach ship closest to the Ascendants. Since I'm close enough not to worry about needing to warp space to make it hit, the beam is continuous. The ship I hit is completely enveloped with a beam of unceasing physics-violation. The armour seems to shrink in on itself as it dissolves into fragments, the interior freezing solid. Something I can identify because whatever they use to disrupt ring scans appears to have been one of the things I just destroyed.

"Would you care to reconsider? Think about the needs of the whole of the Reach, not just the local theatre."

Near Karrakan the more agile Reach ships are in full retreat, trying to get to the far side of the planet as the New God ships draw closer. The capital ships-.

I smile faintly as the last one is torn apart by the Dominion's primary weapon. RUINATION!

I know it's not an efficient design, but there's something about watching it tear through enemy capital ships that stirs a primal joy in the violent and uncivilised depths of my soul.

"The Writ is all."

"I'm sorry to hear that." I switch the cold cannon to the next target and fire. "Thiva, you handling it? Or do you need me to fly closer and shield you?"

"I think that Grayven's power is fortifying our shields."

I wince. Looks like he wants to preserve his investment.

The second ship I targeted comes apart like the first. Three left, and while they're gaining on the Ascendants their weapons aren't doing anything worth talking about to the shields at this distance.

"Come on, don't you have families to go home to?"

Nothing. Ring?

Channel ended.

Alright, signal the other three ships.

Compliance.

"Guys, you're not hurting their shields and I can one-shot your ships. Please give it up. If you're concerned that you'll be punished when you go home, I'll take you prisoner. I'll even let you scuttle your ships first so I can't gain useful intelligence. Please."

"The Writ is all." / "The Writ is all." / "The Writ is all."

Darn it.

I turn my cold cannon to the third ship and fire, watching… Yes, I'm actually saddened by it. These ships aren't an immediate threat to anyone but unless I destroy them and their crews they will become one. What do they think we're-?

"Has your government told you something about us treating prisoners badly? Because I assure you, it's just a high security prison black site. One round of telepathic interrogation, and then you'll be left to your own devices."

"No succour. Stop insulting us and kill us."

I sigh and fire at the second to last ship, which doesn't survive any better than the previous ones. The Ascendants-. They rotate their ships and begin applying thrust to reduce their speed.

"Thiva, what are you doing?"

"Helping." Strike!

Primary fore-mounted weapons from their warships fire, taking a few seconds to hit the last Reach ship in pursuit. Its shields crackle and flex, far better able to cope with nearly-normal weapon fire than the physics-defying wrath of a cold beam. The Reach ship responds by taking hopeful shots with its secondary batteries, but it's clear that's more a sign of their will to resist rather than something they expect to actually achieve anything.
    Slay!
    Another barrage from the Ascendants and their target's shield finally suffers a partial overload, failing and allowing the energetic assault to hit the hull. Again, that survives far better against their shots than it did against the cold beam, but there's never really any doubt-.

I nod as the front of the ship melts, and the interior is far less resilient that the armour.

I turn to face my own pursuers. They're still following, but-.

I stare in astonishment as the giant cold beam I fired at the beginning of the fight slams into the Absolute Dominion.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Whoops? Hope Grayven understands.

12. Chojin Patriarch

A few snippets of Godspeech. Mostly punctuation to what's happening onscreen:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  13. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Effectively the Cold Gun is an Ultimate Entropy Blast.
    I am legit curious is Grayven God speech will just bounce off what is effectively the absence of any energy.
    Fun with Physics and Metaphysics.
    Lol.

14. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

"What does your funny gun do?"
    "It imposes the condition of the Heat death of the universe on the current universe likely shortening it's lifespan "

15. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

can't believe some uneducated guy just made it for his costume fight against another costume weirdo

once Earth dab on the universe

16. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Inb4 it turns out intentional, with Grayven using the Cold Gun blast to fuel some anti-life, entropy superweapon bullshit that destroys all local reach ships and enslaves every New God in the system to his will.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Anyone else starting to notice how almost everything that could possibly go wrong for LePaul is going wrong for LePaul?

Because I'm starting to suspect Eris's blessing has finally flipped to the other side.

18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can Paragon by any chance locate and capture the souls of the dead Reachians for intelligence via metaphysical shenanigans? Though Grayven's presence and resources may be a challenge to that.

19. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Or it's intentional in the sense that he wants to demonstrate the futility of Earth's weapons against him.
    Or it's intentional in the sense that it's somehow a setup for god-magic, or some kind of political maeneuver.

Or it's actually pure bad luck, and we're about to see Grayven trip over an entirely random screwup and give the Reach a decent shot at trying to kill him.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Ah, the classic introduction: A gigantic beam of 'Fuck you'. Or in this case, 'Fuck you, Fuck everyone next to you, and Fuck whatever celestial body you might be standing in front of!' And all OL has to worry about is staying as far from their firing arc as possible...

Or she sent some of her Ascendant followers off as an initial down-payment to Grayven. I doubt he'd be so nice as to offer anything without a deposit...

Ignore it, girl, he's worse than Sparta ever was. Do not follow the sweet taste of Conquest.

I get the feeling this has been the usual sort of occurrence whenever Grayven commits his flagship to a fight.

Well, for a start, did you actually check the surface conditions for yourself? Make visual contact with those on the ground? Or did you just holler out over the radio?

...Perhaps a louder voice was filling their ears, as it seems to be trying to do to you now.

Huh. Certainly, the change of command might have been reflected in her godly aura, but unless she went face-to-face, they might not have noticed...

...That might not be a good thing for New Orthrys. Depending on how he's received, for sure.

Though they might not be the ones you expect them to be getting, OL.

Ah, of course. The last great act of defiance. (Insert the age-old cartoon of 'Mouse flipping off eagle' here...)

After all, they're messing with something OL's claimed. Well, loosely claimed.

Bonus. And that makes a very nice object lesson...

...Sadly, a planet isn't going to be an effective piece of cover against that gun...

Yup, there's just something about giant fuck-off beams of doom that tickles nearly every man's fancy.

Don't stop running, mind. getting closer if not conducive to your survival, or those aboard your ships.

Helpful, but sadly worrying.

I don't think you're going to talk them out of this, OL. Fanatics gonna fanatic.

How rude. Not even a goodbye. Unless you count 'The Writ is All', and those are hardly the nicest last words.

Still trying to talk? OL, sometimes you just have to accept, some fools want to die.

Well, so much for diplomacy.

No need to set aside Compassion, OL. They brought it on themselves, they're set on dying foolishly, and it's just bad luck that you're the one to have to pull the trigger...

...And even if you don't want to, they do want you to. :oops: What a bunch of assholes...

No, I'm pretty sure this level of dumb qualifies as 'HALPING!'

...I suppose if it lets them feel like they're being useful.

:eek: ...Oops? "Well, poop."

...Huh, I had assumed the shot he tried to fire back when the Scarab first attacked (back in 'Fleet Traction 8') failed to launch. Guess it went off after all. And Grayven's ship just had the dumb luck to catch it. Never has the 'Isaac Newton is the deadliest sunnuvabitch in space' speech seemed more appropriate, even if it isn't actually a conventional projectile. Now, what will the damage be, i wonder?

"Holy Grandmother. Illustres, can you feel that? His… Power. Who is that?"

21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Black Mage Hadouken?

22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

better -> betting

23. Mr Zoat

In theory, such a thing is possible. In practice, collecting weak souls in a thaumically active region is prohibitively difficult.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I was never convinced by that speech. If it were true then the combined fleet would have destroyed Earth in ME3 when they fired at the Reapers with the Earth the next thing in the line of fire. And space is mostly empty. If the projectile doesn't hit something within a few hours it's probably going to either lose its momentum, drift forever or end up in a star or black hole without troubling anyone.
    Thank you, corrected.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'ships'.

That should say 'know'.

25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Depends on what they were firing. Projectiles might have burned up in the atmosphere. Or thr writers might simply have forgotten or ignored it in favor of rule of cool...

Under normal physics it can't lose its momentum - that's the entire point. In the vacuum of space, with no atmospheric drag, it's going to keep going until an outside force works on it.

That outside force can be "slam into a planet" (which possibly isn't going to be very good for the planet), "slam into a star" (depending on the star and the projectile, possibly not good for the star) or "sucked into a black hole" (burp). It could also be a gravitational slingshot or a gravitational capture, which might result in a stable orbit, or could slingshot it faster into something else, or could decay into the object that captured it.

Or it might just keep going forever, never slowing down and never hitting anything.

The point being made in language a Gunny can use and a buck private can understand is that you have no idea what might happen if you miss, so don't miss - and yes, don't fire when Earth is behind your target!

26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Not without disappointing Lord Hades and upsetting whichever Wizard/priestess helps him. Alienating them.
    So uh. I found this old quote. I’ll note we just saw Paul’s connection with the Orange Light and the Ophidian disrupted. And the Reach are “some aliens.”

Reverse engineering Qwardian tech for an anti-Lantern weapon?

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that any projectile would eventually slow down, given that there is a very small amount of ambient matter in space to cause friction. Not sure how long it would take or anything, but i think it’s happen eventually.
    ’know’

ShadowPoint and CTrees like this.
  28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

But that matter is also moving thanks to gravity not static free floating in space waiting for shit to hit it, and its much too small to apply much negative momentum to stop a Projectile on a time scale that matters anyway.

There are a large number of gravitational objects that will slingshot your ordinance and end up either adding speed to it or capturing it way before the ordinance is naturally slowed down by space dust, In simple terms the blackhole at the center of the galaxy exerts far more force into the moving objects of the galaxy than the stay atoms of interstellar space do to slow them and while in theory that friction will eventually stop your shot, the heat death of the universe will happen first.

kerleth and Duke Long like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    At the levels of energy involved, I don't think that burning up would help. Heating up the air and spreading the kinetic force out still leave more than enough energy for total devastation. Less penetration, but now the air is on fire.
    Reverse engineering, no, not unless they get really desperate. Purchasing and testing, certainly.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Why not unless they get desperate? Some sort of pride or xenophobia, or fear of angering the Qwardians?

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.