1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Speaking of remains what happened to the New Titans' bodies?

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I feel Paul is rather ignoring Apokolips' angle in all this. At least he should try to find a way to investigate wether there is an angle.

3. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

That would be like investigating the game master's angle for running a tabletop game.

If you aren't already playing on the same level like Renegade is, you end up chasing your own tail.

4. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

"Sorry, I need to get this business with the Reach handled right quick what since my homeworld is literally going through an apocalypse... again."

Ardy, _The_Bomb, jasonh23761 and 9 others like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Turning New Chronos into the lynchpin of a new orbital facility, eh? Or at least using it to build the necessary parts to jumpstart it. At least they're taking their space-going defences seriously. With a war nearby, it's a safe plan and a good idea.

Heh. Sounds like a major case of screwing the pooch, but thankfully, Thiva accomplished her mission there: Retrieve Rhea's remains, and rescue as many as possible.

Hopefully without the arrogant attitude the New Genisisians tend to show towards the Bugs.

Which is worrying in itself. It gives his armies a certain measure of quality to match the gordanian's quantity.

Yeah, could be awkward. Orange Lanterns basically do have a strong connection to NEMO in the eyes of the galaxy, after all. Even one acting on their own recognisance will still likely be seen as acting in Maltusian interests.

Well, you did stay pretty much across the system from them. Your God-sense isn't exactly developed enough to pick their works out at that distance...

I expect her tomb will be something spectacular. Though likely to be very noticeable as 'something of value' to invaders...

The challenge to remaining neutral, though, is proving that you want nothing to do with any side. Switzerland manages it by having been so badass that everyone asked them nicely not to kick their asses. :p

Now? Well, expect polite overtures...

Heck, those Ascendants under Grayven probably have better gear than their unaligned cousins. After all, he wouldn't have passed the good stuff to an untested prospect.

and disrupting a potential point in their supply line would have been a strategic concern, certainly.

And, to be blunt, OL's a bigger fish than you kids are...

Hinon: "Good grief. Only he could get involved in something this ridiculous..."

Well, you'd probably end up playing the role of Poland: The Reach invading you would get some other galactic players off their ass.

And you have little or no need of external supplies. It'd be like learning to ignore the constantly-barking dog next door.

Well, for a start, you might find out what he expected from Sparta. At best, he'll just command you to kneel.

Grayven does have something of a hard-on for cosmic-scale superweapons. The Orrery, Sun Eaters... I shudder to imagine what else he might have tried to acquire... And what he might have succeeded in acquiring.

Most likely he's exploiting unclaimed interstellar resources, and those systems he's been able to conquer.

Hmm... Mont'Ka or Kau'Yon? Not really grokking the comparison, sadly. Or is it a reference to his collecting subservient 'allies'?

And it feeds his Godname. He looks at Conquest and sees 'Taking by force of arms and intimidation.' Very childish of him...

And while that may sound like an oxymoron, 'Tyrant' merely refers to an absolute ruler. It has a bad name in modern culture because most 'tyrants' these days are petty men with selfish desires.

Except that he won't be satisfied with taking what the Reach has gained. He will always want more.

Yep. He's like Alexander III of Macedon. Always looking for the next conquest, never satisfied with what he's gained. Alexander only stopped because his men threatened to overthrow him. Grayven won't allow such independence.

So probably better to beg off joining him, though that has the risk of angering him.

Not for too long. Don't want to be seen 'harboring a hostile agent' by the Reach or Grayven...

Well, a fairly calm debriefing for OL. Calm discussion, smoothing of concerns and even a Warhammer 40,000 reference.:p Let's hope things stay this calm in the foreseeable future. And at some point, OL will have to go talk to Dox, if only to find out what the level 12 intellect wants him to do next. There's still the matter of Earth to be resolved, too. It could be a busy January for OL...

6. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Along with the option Darko gave, "On" is also viable.
    'counsel'. The advice. Council could refer to a body one is part of, among other possibilities not applicable here.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Remember, LePaul's a goldfish.

If it's not a thing immediately in front of his face it's not a thing he really cares about.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt Apokolips is a good environment for emotional maturity.

Level 10 actually.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

10. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

is it dc canon that starbreaker was eating the universe during the time of the sheeda? like was he featured in the seven soldiers story?

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, that was just Zoat's explanation for why a civilization with both the magic and technology that mining other planets and asteroids should be child's play actually needs to raid the past for resources, which went without an explanation in the comics.

12. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yeah, for some reason I feel there's some information Paul does not have right now that will greatly impact the New Titans decision.

13. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Also, between the inner-core Reach fleet decimating NEMO forces, the apocalypse currently happening on Earth, and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ravage the Reach while they’re really vulnerable….

Well, I think it’s fair to say that Paul has better uses of his time right now. IMO he should head out to his choice of fronts as soon as he’s done with the urgent investigating and save the diplomacy for a week from now.

14. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Have we told Hinon about our recent encounter with Desire? I’d be quite curious what she would have to say about it.

Ardy likes this.
  15. transhumansage

wait whats happening on earth?

16. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

Seriously? There was like, three episodes about a chunk of Anti-life being unleashed upon the world and how everything was going down the drain.

17. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st January 2013
    21:22 GMT

New Othrys has an interesting mix of styles.

The weapon and shield emplacements might as well have just been ripped off the Ascendants' warships. I see the classical New God tron lines combined with materials… Materials that are easier to produce when you're a technologically primitive but magically powerful civilisation. I wonder if that's something Grayven shared with them or something that they developed based on his guidance? Or something Rhea showed them how to make?

The 'God Buildings' are much the same, but the rest of the city… Reminds me of Themyscira City. Primitive materials used to make something that was planned out far better than a naturally occurring primitive city would be. Wide thoroughfares paved with stone or brick because they can't make tarmac or an equivalent, or can't make it in sufficient quantities or can't make it here. Anti-gravity floaters serve as cranes for the building works while animal-drawn carts are used to move raw materials. Even under the guidance of well-intentioned incarnate gods, it would have taken several generations to make a noticeable change to the lives of the natives using novel technology; even a relatively sparsely populated planet like this just has too many people on it, and too many logistics systems that can be snarled up if you rush things.

"How are the locals taking all of this?"

I hear Athyns exhale. "One group of alien gods are much the same as another. Our beliefs and theirs are similar enough that nothing… New needed to be added to the doctrine we were promulgating."

"'Ours' and 'theirs' in the context being..?"

"The followers of the gods and the followers of Sparta."

"What does your theology look like at the moment?"

"We have demonised Sparta, and accepted the other descendants of Rhea as equivalent to me. With the gods… Not presently available to lead us, we have taken more prominent roles."

"'Not presently available'?"

Ahead of me, the warship I've been following docks with the upper level of the central tower. It clearly isn't a shipyard, and as far as I can tell they aren't bothering to construct ships on the planet's surface.

"This world is thick with magic. And even in death, Rhea's remains will strengthen that link."

"You're going to try resurrecting them using the seeds?"

"Not… Precisely. I heard what you and Melinoë said concerning the nature of divine magic. That they-"

Ah.

"-would-."

"You're going to dump the seeds in the local thaumosphere."

"Yes. The process will be guided by members of the Ascendancy. The aim is to allow their consciousnesses to expand and draw power while still remaining coherent."

"Yes… I mean, in theory that could work. The local thaumosphere is relatively blank, so you could just imprint them on it-. In fact, that should allow you to draw more power into Minosyss."

"I didn't know that."

"N.E.M.O. has a number of magicians in its employ who could assist your study, even without an alliance."

"No party to the war who knew they were here would believe that."

"Then I should be able to find people not a party to the conflict who could help."

"If the Reach have been fighting Grayven, do you think that they have learned to detect boom tubes?"

"Um. Within their own territory? Probably. They give off plenty of gravitational waves that can be detected. Here?"

I have the ring open a map of the region inside my mind.

"I… Doubt it, unless they've got equipment specifically designed to pick it up pointed this way that we haven't detected. On the other hand, I didn't know about their system bottling technique."

"If the thaumosphere comes alive, we will be able to defend this world from any force that Grayven or the Reach will be able to spare. And we will be able to improve this world far more easily than we can now."

"As… Far as I can work out… Even if you don't get exactly what you want, using the seeds in that way should improve your position."

"Are you willing to review our work?"

"I am, but I'm not a practitioner. I can't do much more than confirm that it could work."

"What of the Ophidian?"

"I… Think we'd be able to tell whether it was likely to work in more detail, but the Ophidian has a strong presence herself. We might throw things off just by being there."

"Or you might make it stronger."

A-ah…

"You're really getting to the limit of what I'm competent to comment on. I think that could happen, but I also think it would cause the entire thaumosphere to become Ophidian-flavoured. And Grayven will almost certainly be able to feel that. His flagship's main gun makes an excellent ground-strike weapon."

"Still, I would like you to give me your opinion."

"Alright, I'll do what I can. Where do you want me?"

"Go to the ship."

I fly across the city and up towards the top of the tower. Gunships and a group of Ascendants in raiment that resembles New God armour fly around or wait in the air to respond to any threat as…

Thiva leads the way out of the ship, Ascendant pallbearers carrying a stone sarcophagus in solemn precession. The… Sarcophagus-.

I blink as it seems to expand in my vision, becoming… More. We feel the universe bend around-.

A pallbearer blocks my vision for a moment and I turn away. I think I can see where the stuff about gods building worlds from the remains of titans comes from. I take a moment to obscure my vision and follow on behind the convoy on foot at a respectful pace, shifting from my armour to my formal robes.

Artificially boosting a thaumosphere…

That has potential. I'm sure that there are plenty of pantheons on Earth who wouldn't mind the option to go their own way. If we assigned one to each planetoid in the system, it could really help with colonising the Sol system. Not sure what it would do for other places. Unless we could find other titan corpses? Keeping the truly malevolent ones in Tartarus doesn't seem like a sensible long term plan to me, and Zeus isn't in charge to require their use as batteries any longer. Then there's whatever was happening with that Mother Star. I still don't really understand what it was trying to show me. Does it have enough presence to serve a similar purpose?

We pass through a protective ward around the tower's exterior and then inside into the building proper. The corridor is wide and relatively long, and a cautious scan shows some very heavy duty shield generators in compartments around the walls. Personally, I'd have been inclined to build the vital equipment closer to ground level, but I suppose there might be a New God-related reason for this-.

This design.

Similar stone sarcophaguses are arrayed around the room in a circle, with a central space reserved for Rhea herself. The seeds are placed on pedestals around that bier, with Athyns himself ready to officiate as her sarcophagus is respectfully lowered into place.

We immediately feel the pull as the room becomes more real.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Not presently"

"no party to"

"one to every Earth"

19. Syphi

Syphi Reading four stories at a time.

Wow, they really WANT Rhea back eh? Probably a good use and reason to want the ophidian/OL Gestalt to weigh in on the matter.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not exactly.

They want the New Titans back, so they're going to use Rhea's corpse to bring them back.

Rhea herself may quite possibly be permanently dead.

21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Probably 'not a party to,' rather than 'no a party to.'

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Humanity, colonising the galaxy one pantheon at a time!

Though I thought a place needed an existing thaumosphere to allow gods to exist? Even with Titan corpses, you can't boost what doesn't exist.

23. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think it had a thaumosphere already, but it's been a while since I read the parts with them.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Did constantie's magic tatoos link paul to the seeds/local thaumasphere?

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Are they planning to turn LePaul into a battery?

Cool10007 and Signaller like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Rhea did not seem the magitechnologically inclined type. But perhaps one of the New Titans had a gift for it. Magical knowledge hacks can step over quite a few developmental hurdles... Though the infrastructure can take time to catch up.

Yep. Especially if some of the people are reluctant to fall in line, and launch ill-advised rebellions.

Just a few details adjusted to compensate, eh? I suppose when you're making it up as you can go, it's easy to pivot to match a changing situation.

And the locals are probably just smiling, nodding and praying that the strange sky people don't get angry about it.

So the Ascendants are stepping in as... Demigods? Archangels? Bodhisattva? Logical enough.

Yes, building space-dedicated vessels on a planet's surface is a bit silly...:rolleyes: If nothing else, you end up having to fight the gravity well just to make orbit... So either you're really desperate (like us humans,) or you're so advanced you can give gravity the middle finger (Why, hello, Krypton's Golden Age.)

Somehow, I think this might be a bit more complicated than 'turn them off and back on.'

...It's not the New Titans they plan to use the Seeds on, then.

Heh. I wonder if it has sockets for upgrade gems already, or if they have to carve them in?

Though I expect the Titans would be a little less powerful than they used to be. Which is probably a bonus for the Ascendants. Easier to maintain control.

And outside Earth, magicians are tricky to track down, you know...

Though if it gets out that he helped provide them, there'd probably still be a suspicion of NEMO collusion... o_O

Even if they didn't have dedicated sensors for it before, they almost certainly do now. Repurposed systems at first, then bespoke creations...

It'll be interesting to see how they managed that, yes. I doubt we'll learn on-screen, but it would be nice...

Though what it will do to the psyches of the locals could be a matter for study... The seeds contain quite a bit of thaumaturgical energy, yes? And it's about to be poured into a shallow pool...

And to some degree, that would be guessing, I suspect.

To follow up on the 'shallow pool' analogy, having him around might be like dumping a big block of orange-flavoured powdered drink mix in the middle...

Certainly a bit more... Covetous?

While it might not be a true planet-buster, it can still wreck shop...

Ah, they were talking remotely? About time they met face-to-face, then.

I expect this is the most heavily-guarded place on the planet right now...

Since even a dead god contains vast amounts of power.

Those are plans for decades from now, OL. Focus on the now, and be mindful of maybes. You'll still be around to see it, if it's even possible.

Probably something related to 'letting all see the tomb of the mother of all.' or the like. And the tower is probably not plain stone, but something far more resilient.

No doubt the sarcophagi hold the mortal forms of the New Titans... Or at least symbolise the first generation of Titans...

I have the feeling things are about to get a little trippy tomorrow. Thankfully OL doesn't get overloaded any more. Let's hope he doesn't give the whole affair a slightly tangy spice, though. As for the possibility of metaphysically transplanting deities like you might a tree... It's definitely something for his experts to look into, though I suspect it's not going to produce any useful results anytime soon.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

That is not dead what can eternal lie.

Hi Rhea!

28. transhumansage

how is earth still around? i thought people were completely defenseless against the brain washing power of the antilife unless you had a newgod soul.... infact, how did anybody survive it in canon, i havent read final crisis.

also i look back on the amount of stuff i have to catch up on and i just feel... disheartened.

29. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I think there's a word missing somewhere here.

Ardy likes this.
  30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

They are not completely defenseless. Most people seem to just be clinically depressed right now. Except without ups and downs. Just permanent lows all around.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 3 others like this.