1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Asking for advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Badatnaming, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Badatnaming

Badatnaming Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I'm not much of a writer, but I've recently found the jumpchain. I want to write a jumpchain story and I've come up with a set of rules or maybe a guideline for myself, I don't like jumpchain stories that are just the choices the writer makes and perhaps a hundred words of what they do.

So the Idea is to pick a long-running series and write to the best of my ability a self-inset-ish fanfiction. I got the idea from Brockton's Celestial Forge. So the rules are you gain 100 cp per three thousand words written. only gain perks when sleeping and only when you choose to. But you must use all cp when you do decide to get perks. Can change the jumpchain at any time but can never use the same jumpchain more than once.

So far I'm also thinking that I start out with the jumpchain of the media I start in, But I thought that maybe I could eventually have more slots for other jumpchains I just can't decide how many points it would cost to open up a second or even third slot. I'm leaning toward a whole heck of a lot but that is not a number and I really would like one so I can have a clear goal.

If this doesn't make any sense I apologize and will try to clarify to the best of my ability if anyone has questions for me.

2. Gaming_Vampyre

Gaming_Vampyre Getting some practice in, huh?

So are we using the number of words as a mile marker, like DnD? Because if so then this could motivate people to turn this into a harem fest or something just to pump the word count up.

Next um, like at least 4,700 points for like an extra slot, if I'm understanding of what you mean by a slot, does that mean that he can go back to those worlds? Like legit save slots perhaps because that could totally work, with the caveat that the character doesn't get points while going back to old worlds. I also just did the math, and 40,000 words would only get us to 1,333 points, so I overshot by a lot. But multiple thousand is what I'm aiming at like the guy has to give up the first like three worlds because they know they won't be coming back, and so they have to develop as a character, maybe get some standards for the people they care about. That sort of thing.

3. Badatnaming

Badatnaming Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Okay here is an example of what I mean. First I pick a series or setting I just got the long dark so I'll look up if it has a jump yet. It does but I wouldn't say I like all of it so I'm going to adjust some of the things I don't particularly appreciate as I go because I want rules but this is my story so I'm in charge.

When The character sleeps they gain the freebies from the jump but now can decide if they want to buy any perks or pick another jump doc. They stay in the long dark but can buy perks from another jump it just costs them to buy the jump I'll just say a flat 1000 cp at first may increase per purchase if I'm being mean. But they can't buy anything from the long dark jumpchain ever they lose it. In its place is a new doc. They can only have one jump to choose from at a time opening up a slot means that they have multiple jump docs to choose from so here is an example of what I mean.

So This jump is a gauntlet and depending on what difficulty you pick you gain points but I don't like the settings so I'm going with custom difficulty and just saying that I gain nothing but lose nothing.

The exact choices don't really matter. So my character enters the setting with nothing no cp, no perks, no items, but no drawbacks.

So the character is at zero starting cp now since this is a survival gauntlet s/he will have to either find shelter, move to a safer location, or fortify their current location. The character will start off with what I wear and carry to work I will possibly get them some cp for describing what they can do but for this, I'll just say they start in the trapper's homestead. It's an isolated location with some starting gear and is also connected to the Mountain Town. However, it's freezing with deep snow thru a cave and an icy ravine. Basically, It's a long trip with lots of little dangers for frostbite and sprains or even broken bones. So the character will have to decide if it's worth the danger to earn cp.

This is not a full story so I'll just say yep they did it and yep they did not get any major damage beyond bruises. Now In town, they have 1000 cp and a safe warm spot to sleep.

After going to sleep they gain the freebies from the jump but now can decide if they want to buy any perks or pick another jump doc.

After thought, I may let characters sell back perks and/or items as well as buyout drawbacks during the jump.

4. Gaming_Vampyre

Gaming_Vampyre Getting some practice in, huh?

Okay, that all sound interesting, and I would be more than happy to read it. Just work on it as you please, and post whenever you feel like you have a good enough start to this whole thing. Even if it's just a proof of concept before ya try the real one.