1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I miss the boom image used early in the story.

Anyway, I don't know much about the Reach outside of this story, but from the way it's been described it's an absolutely fascinating civilization. Reach citizens are rewarded with physical goods and luxuries I believe was explained? But they are also so dogmatically loyal they will suicide themselves when appropriate as to not risk giving out Reach secrets.

Unless that wasn't them blowing up their own ship(s), and instead was a boom tube opening.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Boom is in ships go kablooey (through self destruct or damage) or Boom as in Boom-Tube?

Grayven showing up during a magic ritual for power would be...dicey.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I'm calling bullshit on this.

Because there's no way the Green Lanterns didn't include an exception for damaged vessels in need of repair. If only because there's no way the treaty would have held up for thousands of years if they didn't.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Welp. Looks like the Reach know about Minosyss now. Though from the looks of it, they're running. So either they lost their pursuers, or other trouble is on the way. But first, OL gets to deal with these guys...

Oh, boy. This is going to be a diplomatic and political hot potato.

And that's not just hyperbole. Given the way their spiritual networks are organised, only he would have the metaphysical strength to do the work...

...Hopefully they won't take issue with you moving in to an already occupied system. Because they technically did roll up on the Minosyssian population and went 'Hi, we're your gods now.'

Hmm... Call the Space Cops now, or after you kick the ass of the Reach? Quite a conundrum.

And this could turn into quite a fight. Possibly a four- or five-way battle depending on who turns up...

I'll bet. Kid is totally not paid enough to handle this tango.

And if worst comes to worst, he can kick their asses.

...Confiscation, perhaps? It's one of those things that never seems to come up in military training, I suspect.

At least that probably answers how they got here. Ascendants Boom Tube to a known location, they slip through before it closes...

Pity you can't do the Green Lantern thing and flash a giant badge of office. But that would be a big-ass target, not an intimidation method...

Small world. Fella got lucky, then.

...Put a pin in that for now. It's complicated.

Bud, you don't get to dictate terms here. Ask nicely, and maybe they'll let you have an asteroid or two for materials.

Not nearly enough force, after all. This is more 'a platoon has blundered into neutral territory during a firefight. What do?'

Ah, see? Now that's the attitude you should have started with. Willing or not, you are a guest here. But that's contingent on you not starting shit.

Figured as much. Interesting that the Ascendant ship knew to come here, though. I doubt they spotted the funerary flotilla leaving during the fight...

You took a gamble. And it didn't pay off. That's luck for you.

Nicely done, if risky, I suspect.

"Just minor damage."
    "I can see right through that ship's whole hull."
    "Experimental ventilation test."

Gee. guess OL tossed them a little too hard. :cool: Ah well.

Now, the test. Will they play nice, or double down on their egotistical arrogance?

Good. They are willing to play nice. Progress!

The hit to his Godhead would be unthinkable. He committed to the assault. He will either succeed or die. And if it's the latter, things get a lot simpler.

...And now I'm suspicious of them again. Great.

Don't mind the classy bracelets they'll insist on you wearing. Just a precaution.

Technically, you're surrendering to the locals. OL is just acting as their representative, since they can't get out here that quick.

Don't worry, their confinement facilities are surprisingly pleasant if you don't piss them off.

I suppose OL could leave it to whoever's showing up. Depending on who it is.

So... Local Ascendant ships arriving, or part of Grayven's fleet fleeing Karrakan's system? I doubt the Reach ships would scuttle themselves mid-conversation. Which means this will turn into a three-way negotiation. Then four-way when the other party arrives. And OL is not the most diplomatically skilled person to handle this whole fiasco... Things might get lively.

Ardy, mastermenthe, Minars90 and 8 others like this.
  5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'Internment' is the word you're looking for.

...and, technically, if you're using Hague rules (which the comic writers probably would, given write what you know or can research in five minutes), the Reach ships actually wouldn't have to be immediately interned.

Convention (XIII) concerning the Rights and Duties of Neutral Powers in Naval War. The Hague, 18 October 1907.

Art. 17. In neutral ports and roadsteads belligerent war-ships may only carry out such repairs as are absolutely necessary to render them seaworthy, and may not add in any manner whatsoever to their fighting force. The local authorities of the neutral Power shall decide what repairs are necessary, and these must be carried out with the least possible delay.

The most famous-slash-publically-known case historically was the German 'pocket battleship' Admiral Graf Spee following the Battle of the River Plate, which put in at Montevideo and (thanks to the British leaning on the Uruguayan government...) was given 72 hours to repair. Its captian believed a full British fleet was waiting for him just out of Uruguayan territorial waters (thanks to the British whispering in certain ears) and, not wishing internment, sailed with a skeleton crew at the 72-hour mark and scuttled the ship at the edge of territorial waters.

So here, assuming they could smooth over their "accidentalling" the Ascendant ship that inadvertantly boom-tubed them here, they could request time to repair to spaceworthiness and then leave.

Of course, the actual governing guideline here is the forebearance of the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps...

6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but you don’t take an entire war fleet in with a damaged vessel - OL did confirm such an exception existed, but there was sufficient evidence to disprove this was the case

jonasquinn, Ardy, boo600 and 2 others like this.
  7. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

"Look, I was pooping okay!? Sometimes a guy has to poop! I hit the self destruct button as fast as I could, but even if I was about to die I still needed to wipe and wash my hands!"

8. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I don't get this. Calling Green Lanterns wouldn't be an act of war. The Green Lanterns and the Reach have a long standing peace treaty. If the Reach ships are truly here peacefully and in need of emergency repairs then calling the space cops to supervise is only prudent.

Edit: Or is the Orange Illustress purposefully taking advantage of Pontico's inexperience and ignorance of galactic politics in order to better insinuate himself into the situation and spin it to the advantage of NEMO?

mastermenthe, Bud-E and Vaermina like this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I believe the treaty states that they can't go to Green Lantern space without being invited first. The fleet hoped they would end up in Grayven's territory, which isn't covered by that agreement, but instead ended up in Green Lantern territory, which breaches their treaty.

10. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

I'm sure it's fine that the Reach guy is in system with Paul's backup body and ring. Won't cause any troubles at all.

mastermenthe likes this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I think Zoat has been basically making stuff up as he goes along, the show certainly didn't go into details about the Reach, and I don't think the comics went into that many details either.

And considering Paul thought that Jaime was named Jamie, I don't think Zoat read the Blue Beetle comics anyway.

So you can give the credit to Zoat.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. Also, I did German at school rather than Spanish.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

All the vessels in that group were damaged...

14. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

What, you think the chapter had a downer ending? Eh, I'm sure a happy few will survive.

15. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

8th February 1992
    09:32 GMT -5

"…which is all completely legal."

Mr. Schultz doesn't look like he believes me. Though I only know that because I used my ring to look under his mask.

"Okay, but how does that matter to me? Not like I can sell it."

"No, it turns out that the police actually like it when career criminals earn money legitimately."

The Bar With No Name isn't actually the only bar with that name, a name which causes me to metaphorically bite my tongue whenever I hear it due to the inherent contradiction. But in both locales I know about, it serves as a joint drinking den and labour exchange for low to mid-tier supervillains. And it does breakfast, which is nice, because I skipped breakfast in my pre-wedding related… Confusion.

And none of the kitchens in the Genosha resort were open, for obvious reasons.

"Heh."

On the other side of Mr. Schultz, Mr. Myers smirks at his colleague's discombobulation. Mr. Schultz jerks his head around, trying to work out if he actually heard the now innocent-looking Mr. Myers say something that he might feel the need to remonstrate about. Best keep things polite.

"You wouldn't even need to show up in person. You designed your gauntlets yourself, didn't you?"

He jerks his head back around. "Yes."

"Well… Honestly, you could just apply for a patent and wait patiently. Once you've got the patent, anyone can use it if they pay you a percentage. You don't need any further investment so you don't need to negotiate up front investment. On the other hand, if you want me to show your designs to people I know who might be interested, I can do that."

"I don't know. This sounds suspicious."

"Shocker, if I was doing something suspicious, I'd just scan the gauntlets you're wearing now and replicate them myself. I'm suggesting this because I… Think that your talents are wasted in supervillainy when you could make more money legitimately."

"I don't think that's… Plausible."

"Nah, mate." Mr. Myers nudges him with his elbow. "You can do it. I believe in-"

The door bangs open-

"Two steaks, raw and bloody!"

"-you."

-and a man in an orange leotard storms in and doesn't get laughed out of the place, because he would quite cheerfully kill all of them. Most of the criminals here aren't murderers. To be fair, I'm not sure how many of the people he's killed were murder-victims, in the sense that it's not a crime if the government does it.

The barman fishes a plate out from the back shelf and puts it on the bar in front of Mr. Creed Senior. Then he opens a grease-proof paper package and uses metal tongs to move the fresh steaks onto his plate.

Mr. Creed doesn't bother with utensils, and I'm not sure how much of that is an act.

I take out a card with my contact details on it and slide it over to Mr. Schultz. "Give me a call if you're interested, alright?"

He just shrugs, but takes the card and slides it into one of his costume's pockets. I swallow the last of my bacon, put my knife and fork in the at-rest position, pick up my briefcase and walk-. I ignore the frantic head-shaking of Mr. Myers and walk over to the stool next to Mr. Creed.

"Mister Creed."

He stops… 'Eating'.

"You don’t smell of anything. No heartbeat. I don't like robots." He turns his face towards me, blood and meat juice covering his mouth and chin. "And it's Sabretooth."

I nod politely. "I apologise. Sabretooth. And I'm not a robot; my force field prevents scent and sound escaping."

He turns his face back to his meal, opting to watch me from the corner of his eye.

"What d'ya-" He bites a chunk out of the meat and I hear bone crunch. "-want?"

"I want to-" I lift up my briefcase and put it on the counter. "-give you ten thousand dollars in non-sequential bills."

"Oh yeah? Who and when?"

"What?"

He smiles. "Oh yeah. 'What?' Like you just wandered up to me with no idea? Just stick the dossier on the bar and get lost."

"I'm not trying to hire you as a hitman. It would be far easier for me to just kill them myself. This is an anti-invitation."

"What?"

"I want you to not be in a certain place at a certain time, and I'm offering you ten thousand dollars to agree. You can be literally anywhere else in the world, just not there."

"Did Wolverine put you up to this?"

"No. But I know that you hate him, and might decide to turn up to try and get the drop on him while he's distracted. Thus…"

I tap the case with my right forefinger.

"What's the occasion?"

"My wedding."

"Hah! You're one of the X-Brats?!"

"No, no x-gene. I'm just a student. So? How about it?"

He chomps down the last of that steak, and then turns fully around to face me.

"And what happens if I say 'no'?"

I take a sharpened iron oval four inches long out of subspace. "Then I shoot you."

"Suuure."

I wiggle it towards his right eye.

"Right through the socket of your right eye. Where there's no adamantium protecting you. It will then go through your brain to the back of your skull, where it will rebound off the adamantium plating and go back through your brain at a new angle. And because adamantium doesn't really bend, it'll keep doing that until your brain is reduced to mush and dribbles out of your empty eye socket. Now, I don't know that you couldn't regenerate from that, but I'm pretty sure that it would completely destroy your short and long term memory. You would have to relearn how to speak. How to control your bowels and bladder."

"And how exactly are you going to do that?"

Ring? Railgun.

The barrel forms over my left shoulder, and keeps forming. I reach up and slide the oval into the end of the barrel and there's a quiet hum as the magnetic field draws it in.

Mr. Creed's eyes fix on the end of the barrel as a cluster of supervillains behind me move out of the way of the now six metre long barrel.

"To be fair, if I hit bone with a gun this big, it would probably liquefy your flesh with the shockwaves alone."

I smile.

"So how about you just take the cash?"

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Add " at the end.

"as a joint"

But you're still technically one of them.

"know if you could regenerate"

17. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

X-Men / Marvel is utterly uninteresting for a Lantern, but I like this Paul at least.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    In general, Marvel power levels aren't any lower than DC power levels. It's just that the most popular characters are generally much less powerful.

19. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

And thus, Paul proves he speaks fluent supervillain.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Huh.....

Creed didn't get the adamantium bonded to him in most 'verses I know, at least not at the same time Logan did.

Been a Looooong time since I saw the '92 cartoon...but I'm fairly sure that they cover the fact that Wolverine breaking out of Weapon X is what released the other members, before they could try to do the same to anyone else. There's a whole episode of with Logan and the old crew getting together to figure out things about their modified memories.

[Digs]

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

As the Deadpool Movies have helped illustrate? Just because you CAN heal from something, doesn't mean it isn't still a big kick in the teeth.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

MUAHAHA >: )

It's been a while since we saw a Paul throw his real weight around like that and it. Is. Glorious.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  23. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I think that's what Theodore Roosevelt would have called a big stick.

24. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

Looks like Paul doesn't mess around in this universe.

I don't blame him considering that Marvel universes tend to actively want to make the characters miserable.

I feel like offering someone money to not ruin your wedding has to be violating some kind of law but I can't exactly figure out which one. It's not really extortion since Sabertooth wasn't making a threat and demanding money to not follow through with it.

I wonder how Paul would be received as a Super by the public in a Marvel comic universe.

He does have the benefit that he's not a metahuman or a mutant (seriously, that line between the two is stupid) and his abilities would put him in the big leagues.

The "downsides" to him would be that he's friendly towards mutants and his powers are by greed (well "avarice", but most people will think "greed"). Paul would have to lean into avarice to charge his ring since there isn't a Lantern Power Battery nearby.

25. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

I know what I need to watch tomorrow.

26. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Wolverine and his kin's 'immortality' is handled weirdly in comics.
    Like, they'll regenerate from anything and have indestructible bones, but it does nothing to protect soft tissue so you could probably still kill them pretty easily if you put in a bit of effort.
    Even just chucking him into a big furnace would probably kill him.
    But comics rarely seem to actually acknowledge that.

For Sabertooth, rather than a railgun, I'd have thought that some kind of Maser would be preferable. Simply evaporate all tissue until he stops regenerating. No flesh, no blood, no grey-matter. Just a metal skeleton. One that wouldn't even be connected together because all the ligaments would have burned away.

So it's really more of a pile of metal bones, I guess.
    Which you then encase in concrete and bury several miles below the surface of mars.

Problem solved.
    Forever.

mastermenthe, kyomei93, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Lantern showing as much consideration for the cape community of this Earth as OL did for Earth-16, eh? Still, he's got enough sense not to let on that he knows these things. I would also have assumed Shocker's name would be a matter of his criminal record, since he's been arrested before...

To be fair, when you develop a vibratory-based energy projection weapon, it does seem a bit foolish to use it to rob banks. Unless he enjoys that...

Heh. Been quite the busy day, hasn't it.

Ah, one of many minor villains that get dragged out to show how badass the new hero or super-bad-guy is during their debut... By beating the ass of a guy who throws boomerangs...

...He feels a lot like Marvel's counterpart to Captain Cold, doesn't he? Older brother turned parental figure, multiple loser who built a super-tech weapon in prison, something of a punch-clock villain, surprisingly popular despite being a career criminal...

Plus, he has a criminal record which kind of puts him at a disadvantage in the US...

Plus, if Shocker found other people using his tech, he might not be as likely to come after them as some, but he wouldn't be happy.

Well, someone's in a mood...

...And has worked up an appetite.

Oh, yes. Early-Nineties Sabretooth wasn't exactly the best-dressed supervillain in the place. But it's still a step up on his debut outfit...

Well, sometimes he's a lot more feral than others. Especially if he's been healing up a lot lately.

Ah, poking the tiger while he's eating. I expect a lot of the guys here are thinking he's either suicidally brave, suicidally stupid, or really, really powerful.

Then where are your tusks? :p Besides, there are far scarier mammals than sabertooth tigers...

No doubt tempted to test the limits of said force-field. And contemplating whether Lantern will be tastier than the steaks he's gobbling down.

And that's a decent amount of cash in Nineties money, too.

...I mean, it does come off as you hiring him to kill someone. Though I suspect he'd do Grayden Creed for free. ("Hello, Junior. Give your pappy a hug...")

Ha! That might be one way to prevent wedding-crashers. Pay off the least psychotic offenders to not show up.

Of course, if his interest is piqued, he may well stop by to take a look anyway...

...'Hate' is an insufficient term for their relationship, I think.

Oh, nothing you'd enjoy, fluffy.

A surprisingly astute deduction, given his talk of Wolverine. People tend to forget that Creed is no idiot. It takes a devious mind to find new ways to fuck with Logan every year, after all...

I mean... If someone paid him better to show up...

"Do take note of your real name, inscribed on this bullet."

Seriously, it would be the last thing you see, Creed...

Presumably a quick scan told Lantern about the crunchy Adamantium lining, eh? Not every Sabretooth has Adamantium bones. Sometimes it's just his claws.

The true great equaliser.

Good plan. A railgun that big has quite the splash zone.

Honestly, the adamantium bones would be a bonus for cleanup. If not for them, they'd need a mop and a small bucket to clean up the remains.

'Speak softly and carry a big stick' indeed. I suspect even Sabretooth at his most feral, or dickish, can take the hint. And hopefully pass on some sage advice if any other Villains come looking to recruit him for some party-crashing. Though, certainly, while the X-Men's roster isn't at its most powerful, anyone with ill intent would find themselves facing a bit of a beatdown anyway.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And you would be completely wrong about that.

Wolverine regenerated from a nuke that left him a smoldering skeleton in the comics.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Sabertooth arguably is an Idiot given some of the choices he has made in his life, however he isn't stupid and at least used to be a highly trained Black Ops agent. Thus, with some exceptions, he knows very well when to backdown.

30. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

I think the idea here is that while the brain itself would heal, the neural connections that make up Sabertooth's memories wouldn't easily be recovered like what happened to Wolverine (at least in some iterations of the comics).

But then again there could always be a comic book ass-pull of a reason why Creed could retain his memories after regrowing his brain.