1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

have -> can

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Although that would require you to get some of whatever special isotope of 'Radion' is used by the New God-killing weapons. And I imagine that both New Genesis and Apokalips guard the secret of its origin very closely...

Quite a big target, but I expect you're doing that for a reason...

Ah, going to try something more esoteric as your main thrust, then. o_O

After all, the guns can only traverse so fast, no matter how they operate. And Lanterns are very small and very agile compared to a ship.

And even a tiny threat can take out a vast vessel, given the right attack, or a little luck.

Still, well done spotting and hitting the projectiles. I assume they're larger than the standard railgun shot...

Ooh, something unexpected?

Seriously? He skipped across the shield? The other joy of being so small in space combat. :confused: ...And suddenly I'm reminded of the Star Trek/X-Men crossover, where Gladiator of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard punched the Enterprise's combat shields... :D And damaged them significantly.

Best not to get distracted, OL. One mistake here and you'll probably be waking up in that backup body above Minosyss.

Oooh, sneaky!

Good plan. Yoinking a New Ascendant shipmaster, and presumably control of his ship with him. Or her. Whoever.

Ah, not going to go all OL's way that easily.

Which raises questions about how independent the crew are during this whole situation. And how deeply they subsume themselves to their captain's command.

Which would be quite disorienting, certainly. Even more so for someone who's not expecting it, and unlikely to be trained in resisting it.

Om nom nom. I expect this will be a tasty morsel for Best Snek. You're going to spoil her, OL.

Which is probably making the other ship very concerned.

Boy, they can't help complaining about the rescue, can they? You really sure you can't let them take a little more damage, OL? Soften that attitude...

Yeah, seeing him busy with this might make an enterprising gunner think 'We can take him!'

Because the other option is not pleasant, I hope he realises...

Your choice, kid.

A mission kill, but not totally lost. I expect OL can recover them at his leisure once the other New Ascendant ship is dealt with...

...Excellent.[/burns]

Ah, well, then. While the other ship's master is not doubt trying to force it to repair itself (and his crew working on the physical side) that's not good during a live-fire combat...

Chuckles here ain't too quick on the uptake, is he?

Looks like the fight's just about done, then...

Though I doubt it'll go anything like Big Gray is planning it to. OL's good like that.

Well, this will be interesting. We haven't seen him nom a soul like this before. Wonder what'll happen...

Talk about looting. OL never does things by halves, does he? Hopefully it'll go smoothly, though. Not sure we've seen an assimilated New God before in-story, have we? I wonder if the nature of their metaphysique will have any peculiar effects on their Construct Lantern form. And what OL will be able to do and sense through them. Heh, maybe it'll act as a Godspeech hearing aid. :p

3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. I wonder what that will do to Paul's metaphysique (or his ring's, or both). Will he be able to consciously hear and/or use New God Speech, for example?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"A heartbeat"

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may not even use it on each other.

Mutually assured destruction and all that.

No, but Desaad was branded by renegade.

kerleth and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  6. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

ramp it up by focusing on it.

7. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Ohoho. He has eat the soul of a god. That's technically conquest and tyranny.
    Welcome to the family.

High Lord Azal, Caerwen and kerleth like this.
  8. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Tanagar has it, IIRC: they had shot Grayven with it once.

CTrees, Chojin Patriarch and kerleth like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

10. 012345

012345 Well worn.

Wonder will this mean that Paul will start using New God bullshit? And finaly not be fucked over any time he faces New Gods/Magic?

Silveraith, kerleth and Doccer like this.
  11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Then they are basically cannon balls on chains so shoot them at velocity? With unconnected chain or enough slack in the chain?

Also did he assimilate the entire ship or the crew? Or just the Ship Master?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If that's true then Manheim may be in for a surprise.

kerleth likes this.
  13. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Or make OL more vulnerable to New Godspeech.

Before he was blind by way of being invisible: godspeech passed right thru him like he didn't exist.

Now he might have to start rolling his dice pools against their dice pools, and I don't like the odds.

14. 012345

012345 Well worn.

What? OL could 'hear' Godspeech ever since he got Enlighment. Anti Life didnt work on him exactly because he was Enlighment and now Manheim version on Earth dont work because his Soul isnt conected to Earth thaumsphere but to Ophidan.

15. Mr Zoat

Chain chomps do their damage by biting. Yes, he could make a biting construct, but it would only bite as hard as his ring power allowed. It would be more efficient to built a crushing tool construct than making one.

Unless he could find an actual chain chomp to assimilate.
    The shipmaster.
    Manheim is quite a lot more powerful than the shipmasters here.

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Paul: "I'm going to try to be better about making moral choices."
    Also Paul: assimilates sophont person

c3qo, BlueMangoAdea, Caerwen and 6 others like this.
  17. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Was interesting, I think this is the first time he's used identity theft on what feels like a large scale. He's usually very discriminating with it, but if the shipmaster wouldn't surrender, there wasn't really any way to avoid hitting the whole crew with whatever he used to take out the ship.

Ohhhh.
    He only got the shipmaster. The shields are orange now only because the shipmaster is closely linked to them.

Doccer likes this.
  18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Either "Its secondaries" or "It's secondaries... that would".

19. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i thought only paul's demons could do this. where did he learn to do this himself?

also can paul understand god speech like gravyen!paul can?

20. FuzzyZergling

FuzzyZergling Getting out there.

He's been able to turn exotic energy sources into ring charge for a long time now.

Ardy and transhumansage like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Technically, this is the Ophidian doing it. He can do it himself, but he's mindful that if there were side effects he might not be able to fix them.
    No. It's far less distinct to him. It's like hearing your name coming from somewhere in a crowd and not knowing where or who said it.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Radion is a theoretical substance aka the Graviscalar, that differentiates from a regular scalar in the 5th dimension.

I personally find that too perfect to not use, although Zoat might feel otherwise, of course.

23. Mr Zoat

That... Looks interesting? But my knowledge of physics is nothing like good enough to understand the description. Does it actually exist?

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This feels kind of stupid for LePaul.

Like, Grayven might have been able to overlook the attack on his flagship because the Reach were at least partially responsible for it.

But taking his commander's and vessels from him should be something his metaphysics just can't let lie. To the point it would be completely believable that he might just out right switch his first target from The Reach to NEMO.

25. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

No. It’s an abstraction, a tool to be used to model phenomenon accurately enough to describe, explain, predict, and possibly control what is going on. Scientists don’t create models because they are true, they create them because they are useful under specific circumstances. Molecular bonds don’t actually exist, but modeling chemicals with them provides accurate enough results to perform vast amounts of chemistry. There are more detailed and accurate models that you would use when greater accuracy is required.

Also, that particular particle is still hypothetical, so there isn’t even enough evidence to suggest using it as a model would be useful.

source: I am one year away from a degree in physics.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Chaoswind like this.
  26. Phili

Phili Getting out there.

I have never made a comment on QQ before so I have no idea where this will show up, so I'm sorry if it isn't where it is supposed to be. Just sayin'.
    Will Teekl ever come back? My biggest obstacle to rereading this story is that I get very attached to a lot of characters, and while I will probably have to skip all the Vega arcs (because I despise Starfire's and Blackfire's backstory after the New 52, it's way too depressing and stressful), I can't really do that with all the parts with Teekl since she is in such a massive portion of the story in the early parts. So, I just want to know if Teekl might ever return so I can reread the earlier parts of the story without becoming depressed every time she is mentioned.

P.S. Also, I have no idea what the rules are for commenting on these things, so I'm sorry if I broke any rules.
    I'm just gonna press post before this gets even more awkward for me.

27. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Teekle is seemingly gone-gone, and no one in-universe is really all that interested (at least on-screen, might still be off) in getting her back sadly.

Koriand'r and Komand'r aren't following after their n52 counterparts in basically any regard from what I remember (been a decent bit since either of them showed up) because Zoat doesn't like it for narrative reasons, so you should be safe there. Other things from Vega may also make you sad though, but I have no clue what your tolerances for anything are so if you're fine with Vega ThingsTM aside from the n52 backstory stuff you should be fine.

And no, you didn't break any rules by asking a question like this. The only reason you might have is if you'd done an oppsie and posted in the story only thread, and I'm honestly not sure if that's actually against the rules or is just a faux pas.

Modern politics, however, is largely a no-no. And for reference I mean "modern politics" as-in basically anything that is currently relevant in modern geopolitics and is facing notable debate, so not "Nazis are bad" or whatever, but things like the current US election cycle would count under the ban. Talking about trans people is also mostly fine I think, but I'm not sure how that would be relevant to the story as-is and would probably count as a derail, which can get mods angry.

If you want to actually read them then the site rules are... somewhere. Click on things until you find them I guess.

Cuchulin, Bud-E and _The_Bomb like this.
  28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

New Gods' ships

You missed one:

It might. The math describing it works, if our guesses about the nature of spacetime are correct.

As for what it would do? Mostly, it would let you muck about with the strength of gravity without having to involve copious amounts of physical mass. This isn't particularly interesting, since OL already has gravitational weaponry.

However, the interesting part of this is that it applies from a direction that isn't one of the four spacetime dimensions that we're able to perceive. In comic-book terms, this could be interpreted as being able to bypass any obstructions that would exist in real space, or it could be interpreted as mucking about with the physics within the New God's body, or with a bit of a departure from "physics," it could be argued that one of the dimensions involved is metaphysical -- this jives with the interpretation of radion having divine properties.

EDIT: I said that wrong. It doesn't take effect along another dimension. It extends along another dimension. (By comparison, we four-dimensional beings would be flat along that dimension.) As a result, what we see in our four-dimensional spacetime is an unexplained variation in the physical forces. If New Gods also extend along that other dimension, then that means there's more of them to hit. A comparison might be to think of a human like a sheet of paper and a New God like a book.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  29. Phili

Phili Getting out there.

Thanks for answering. I am actually almost completely caught up at episode 131 when I decided I wanted to reread from the beginning, and encountered my Teekl conundrum, and was hoping that Zoat had mentioned somewhere if there was a plan to bring her back (when I was reading that bit the first time I spent days going through the wiki and TVTropes pages and then using ctrl+f on every page of the story thread hoping to see if she got revived).
    My problem with Koriand'r and Komand'r's backstory is the rape/sex-slavery. It doesn't add anything (meaningful), is needlessly depressing and stressful, and is exactly the type of thing I am trying to get away from if I am reading/watching superhero stories, and almost every version has that part of their background. Really that and Teekl's death are the only parts of the story I straight-up disliked (which is impressive as hell for something with like 5M+ words, I had more problems with the Harry Potter series in its 1.1M or so words).
    Thank you very much for the clarifications on the rules though.

30. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    21:41 GMT

The second New God ship jerks sideways as the combined fire finally breaks the hull, atmosphere spurting out as the weapons on one side die entirely.

"Alright, Reach ships, move around so that it can't shoot you any more. I'll-."

BOOM!

I brace for combat and reorientate my stolen ship's weapons-.

A squadron of five local ships emerge from the portal.

"Shipmaster Allyn requesting update from Illustres."

"Are you any good at boarding operations?"

"I've never had any complaints."

"The Grayven-aligned Ascendant warship that I don't control is crippled. We can destroy it by shooting it, but it would be helpful if we could capture it without destroying it so that you have something to base your battle cruisers on. And so that we don't have to kill the entire crew. Is that something you're willing to do?"

"How many Ascendants are there on board?"

"As far as I can tell, just the ship master."

"Very well. Do you hear me, cousin?" "Know when you've lost."

One turret rotates and fires a token shot at the leading ship of the formation. It misses.

"We will take the ship. Can you escort our Reach guests back to Minosyss?"

"Wait one. Illustres to Reach vessels. Are you capable of movement?"

"Two ships are crippled and one is a wreck. We will need-."

"The other two ships will power down weapons and make best speed for Minosyss, whereupon they will follow the directions of local authorities. Crippled ships…"

I exert my desires upon-.

I feel it as the construct ship master is destroyed and returns to my ring-. A-h. That's… Some memories I'll sort through later. But his awe of Grayven was very real. He… Ah, of course. Grayven is a lot more powerful than one of the Ascendants. They see him as Rhea's rightful successor because no one else has that sort of power. Nice to see them being consistent about might makes right; offering fealty to one more powerful than themselves as they demand it from mortals.

Hm.

"Illustres to currently-functional New God ship. I just assimilated this ship and its master. Does that mean I'm in charge?"

"No, wretch, it does not. AND WE-."

End.

Ah, well. Let's see. Does this thing have a tractor beam, or nearest-? Yes, it does. Good. Still got the crew, but without another Ascendant they can't override my control. I impose my desire for the ship to acquire the crippled Reach ships, and… Yes. It's drive systems activate and it accelerates gradually towards them.

"I'm sending this ship over to tow them back. I'll clear the wreck myself. Get going."

Precision shots from the Ascendancy ships shoot out the surviving turrets on the Grayven-aligned ships, and-

BOOM!

-they're boom tubing on board to capture the ship. The Reach ships still more or less functional set course-.

"What did I say about powering down your guns?"

"We do not have full control. Some systems are not responding. We could remain here until basic repairs have been-."

"Send out marines, set charges and destroy any guns that won't power down before you arrive. I will leave instructions that you are to be destroyed if you have any remaining guns when you arrive."

Ring, plot route for them.

Compliance.

"Sending permitted route now. If you deviate from it, you will be destroyed. Get. Moving."

I move away from my prize and head towards the wreck. Four escape pods were trying to hide in the shadow of their ship, and I use construct grapplers to seize them and thrust them in the direction of the closest crippled ship. They'll have time to get on board before my ship picks them up.

But the rest.

Ring, try accessing any personal communication devices on that ship. Or just do a general broadcast.

Compliance.

"Reach ship personnel, combat has been resolved in our favour. Your ship is crippled, and I do not believe that it can be made spaceworthy within a reasonable time frame. Please confirm that everyone's in vacuum suits, because I'm going to start cutting you out."

"Chief… Chief engineer. Everyone should be in sealed suits, but they can only repair so much damage. If they're holed-."

"Oh, I'm sure that the blood coating the punctures will make a seal when it freezes." I create a crumbler cutting tool and aim at the closest section with survivors in it. "Cutting now. If you are able to encourage survivors to congregate in easily accessible locations, please do so."

This first section is already depressurised, and widening the hull so I can get in is simple. Looks like this was an engineering passageway, as there's no one in here and it just connects to the inner side of the turrets. Bulkhead door is that way, and there are living people in there. I generate a construct door to maintain internal pressure and then crumble the pre-existing door.

A Reach marine points a… Plasma gun at me, but maintains discipline and lowers it a moment later. The other two.. appear to be engineers. Their suits have some minor damage but I can't see any breaches, and scans of the reachians themselves show no serious injuries. I attach environmental shield to each of them.

"I'll be picking everyone up and flying them to the internment facility on Minosyss. If any of you are wearing power ring-deflecting technology or have such technology active in your part of the ship, I encourage you to deactivate it as it may prevent me shielding you from vacuum or noticing that you are injured. Do you understand?"

"Yes." / "Yes" / "I understand."

"Good show. Attacks upon my person will result in me destroying this ship and killing everyone on board, so if anyone looks like they're going to pick a fight with me, I encourage those around them to smack them over the head with a brick."

"Um, the next section is-."

I crumble my way into the next section, letting the highly energised plasma flail at my construct barrier as I fire a cold gun construct at it to de-energise it. A few organic remains here but no one I can save. The largest concentration of survivors is along this corridor and down a little.

Good. Safe. I send filaments ahead, patching things so that nothing explodes or overloads while we're on board.

Now I have to work out what we're going to do about Grayven himself.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022