1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, originally all of them -including Diana- were only as strong as normal humans with excellent training. I've made them stronger than they were in the Golden Age. The invisible plane? She had that because she couldn't fly.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

While you won't see this, I'm still going to say it for the benefit of the rest of the thread, that's wrong.

This is literally from the very first Wonder Woman comic.

[​IMG]

bob greene and transhumansage like this.
  3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I just want to point out that Paul. when he's just done with a day. is a real treat to read.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Cuchulin and Old Knife like this.
  4. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Agreed.
    Him changing gender to empathise with the cannibals is kind of jarring. If he was doing it to troll them would be more in character.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I thought he was doing it to troll them. At the end he basically razzes their leader. If not trolling its just so he can take the trial.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  6. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

cool. did you just have the comic lying around? how did you find the picture

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Please don’t ask “did you break the law? Please admit it on this website for archiving messages.”

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Jaron, draconomial, Mr Zoat and 5 others like this.
  8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

People are forgetting that the Illustres has been trying to change his kill-happy attittude for a while. He does it, and is not conflicted by it, but when confronted bt the heroes on Earth that he likes and respects he gets bothered by the fact that he doesn't get bothered with casual slaughter of his enemies. So he has been trying to "do better", or at least that's how I interpreted it.

I also wish that sometimes he would be more "Annihilation Beam"-prone with certain enemies/factions. But if the Illustres wants to be a better person, why not? Being fine with hitting the genocide button is not necessarily a nice trait. And if at the end he can still win, why is it a problem that it took longer and he had to be more clever than needed?

I personally would already have a couple legions of Construct Lanterns, for example, with how much I like the technique and dislike some individuals. But that would make me a bad person, not a good hero.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It may not be a description directly attested to in any major DC media, but it is at least in line with the rest of the setting -- it's fairly consistent through this entire fic that he's portraying Earth-16 as a lower-powered setting in accordance with Young Justice. YJ didn't really have much to demonstrate superpower-level strength and fitness for Amazons other than Wonder Woman, who is exceptional.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Wonder Woman's original gimmick was that she did in fact have super strength and the like, but her powers would be suppressed to the point she was as weak as an ordinary woman if a man tied her up. This was apparently "Aphrodite's law".

All the Amazons had some level of enhanced physical abilities, Diana was just the strongest among them. And they all had that weakness to being bound by a man. Specifically, an Amazon's arms had to be bound so that their "bracelets of submission" were touching.

Because the creator of Wonder Woman was super into bondage. Hell, the early Amazons solved a lot of their problems through bondage. They had a whole thing about using S&M to redeem female villains.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

He's not emphasizing with them. At all. He's trolling them.

'You can't challenge us as a man. Only a woman can challenge us.'

'Power rings are awesome. Done. Fight me.'

'Wait that's illegal.'

12. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    22:06 GMT

A-.

Is that a n'avi?

No, no, too many ears and not tall enough. And wearing actual clothes.

The rest of the greeting party are wearing sleeveless body armour and coalscuttle helmets. The bracers have plasma guns mounted on them… Since my scans aren't being disrupted here I can tell they've compromised on the recharge rate in order to keep the peak output high. They're carrying actual guns, which is an improvement on what I was expecting from the sort of civilisation that allows duelling. The armour… Ah, I see. It's using a plasma shield to feign high toughness, a pretty good idea until you realise that the only way their plasma weapons can fire out is if they match the output profile, meaning that their own guns totally ignore it.

And mine could too, if that ever becomes relevant.

Nice that they're pointing their guns at me.

"Hello, future corpses. Are we starting here?"

Mini-na'vi sneers. "The Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps is a man."

"The Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps is a Lantern of superlative ability."

"It doesn't matter whether you die quickly or slowly. Prove that you are a woman."

"On the first date?"

They look blank. Yes, I suppose that their culture doesn't lend itself to romance, even between women. Ah, given the likely output of those weapons… Yes, my environmental shield and personal force field should be able to hold out for the 1-2 seconds I'd need to create something more substantial to defend myself.

"Ah, fine."

I step out and reappear just outside my armour, making sure that my rings have a grasp of my motor controls. I feel slightly overbalanced, but otherwise… Otherwise, other than the weird sensation I'm getting from my upper torso and the numbness of my crotch, not that different. I mean, I'm sure that if I left my brain like this there would be a whole lot of behavioural changes… Again.

"There. Happ-"

They point their guns at my armour and fire!

"-y?"

Construct barrier up!

My armour's shield takes the fire reasonably well and the armour is easily able to weather the bleed-through heat and radiation. And then my construct barrier interposes itself, wall thickening around me to protect my armour-. And me. Bit odd that they shot my armour. Sure, it's got systems that I can't replace without getting hold of a wizard, but just killing me would-.

Ah. That might violate their duelling rules.

I spot non-na'vi watch what their guns do to my barrier -very little- before ordering them to cease fire with a twitch of her right hand.

"On my world, we have a saying." I transfer myself back into my armour. "If you come at the king, you better not miss. Are we not doing the duel thing?"

"We are. But we know perfectly well that you're mocking our customs with no interest in becoming one of us."

"So you're not stupid, good. Explain why you shot my armour?"

"You weren't in it."

I shrug. Frankly, relying on these people to have any sense of honour was a long shot, and what she just said sort of makes sense.

"Are you my first opponent?"

"No."

"You mean I'm actually getting Astarte? Honestly, I thought I'd have to work up to that."

"You will."

"Theana?"

A shudder moves through the squad, then not-na'vi motions for the group to move deeper into the ship.

"No. How do you even know that name?"

"I'm actually quite clever. I just thought, 'what would a psychotic bitch with no redeeming qualities call someone she locked in a cargo hold until she ate everyone else there?', and this name just came to me."

Not-na'vi's eyes widen slightly, then narrow.

"You should not talk about the Captain like that. She will kill you for the insults you have already given-."

"Oh, for a moment I thought the offer to join was genuine."

"But now she will draw your death out."

I chuckle quietly. "Are you so craven that you fear death?"

"Death in battle? No. The death she will give you? Yes."

I wave my right arm dismissively, and 'accidentally' smack one of her soldiers across the docking bay and into the wing of one of their fighters. The crumbler effect was turned off so her armour absorbs it easily enough, but everyone alters their position to be a little further away from me.

Good show.

"Can't help but notice that none of you are using New God equipment. Grayven not sharing?"

Not-na'vi… Visibly hesitates. Okay, so she's up to something, though given what she said earlier I doubt that she's going to lie to me. "It does nothing for us that our equipment doesn't do better."

Because they're not New Gods. Fair enough. Astarte should be able to empower it, but maybe she doesn't know how. Or maybe 'helping people' isn't something Citizens do.

"Who am I fighting first, anyway?"

"Armsmistress Aramis."

"She any good?"

"She has over five hundred kills in the arena."

"So..? She beats up unarmed refugees? Is that a no?"

"We allow surviving females a chance to regain their strength before putting them in the arena."

"Oh, goodness me, she actually does. Hah!"

The soldiers peel away as we approach a fortified gateway.

"Beyond here-."

"You know how I haven't asked your name?"

"It is-."

"That's because I don't care."

I activate my crumbler gauntlets and disintegrate the expensive-looking door.

"Through here?"

13. Mr Zoat

No, he's trying to delay them until Athyns finishes the ritual. They've brought one big ship. He doesn't know how many more they have or might bring in if they decide that diplomacy has failed. He also knows that while he'd probably 'win' the fight he wouldn't be able to stop a sufficiently big fleet destroying Minosyss.

14. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I appreciate Paul is giving these nut jobs more respect than they really deserve.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Buy her some dinner first, you savage.

Well they're not stupid for this moment.

The rest...

You gotta kill the mooks before the boss fight.

I see they know about the murder machine and they're afraid of her.

They might not be able to make full use of it.

Yep.

Could be both.

16. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

By trolling them though.

17. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

You mean he doesn't intend to kill them all in single combat?

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, DC Artists will steal borrow inspiration from anything, given half a chance. Just consider the sheer variety of Lanterns during the War of Light storylines, and how many of them were lawyer-friendly cameos...

And now that you've scanned them, said shields are now irrelevant. Clever. You'd think these people don't know what Lanterns are capable of. Or, more likely, they don't care.

Ah, a relatively nice greeting from them, then. If they were in a bad mood, they'd probably be shooting you already.

And that means very little to shapeshifters and Orange Power Ring users. And given the latter, you can easily be the former.

What, you asking OL to provide a gynaecological history? :p

Or you can simply rip them out of their armour, given a couple of seconds of precise shooting. Depends on how strong a lesson you want to teach them.

I mean, there have already been some subtle signs. Apparently you make a mean woman.

:eek: Oi, leave off! Kind of rude, you know.

No doubt they want you going into this stuff as disadvantaged as they can make you be.

Heh. So apparently using the good stuff is cheating? Tough luck for them.

Or in this case, the queen. Let's hope you get to go all Abridged!Seras on them. :p

Hopefully she's one of the smart leaders. Someone OL can use once they finish this fight...

Well, it wasn't like they could steal it, after all. Not until you're dead, anyway.

Sadly, I doubt you get to bypass the pecking order. Them's the rules of a Boss Rush.

...Suggestion: Do not let her live, whatever happens. The mad dog needs to be put down sooner or later.

Aw. You could have given them the classic 'Fuck you, that's how.'

"Oh, you think I give a shit about you not liking me?"

We'll see who ends up dying. OL's had practice at it, after all. And they're very good at avoiding it.

...And now I'm picturing something involving a spoon. Not that she'll be getting that chance.

Pleasant. Fem-OL is definitely not a nice lady. Though given the audience, this probably counts as being polite to them.

Ah. He has that little concern for you, then.

Ironically, as a daughter of Ares, she probably would improve their capabilities if she did so...

Does she use a rapier and musket? :p

On the other hand, anyone tough enough to rise to that level is probably hardcore anyway.

I can hear the sarcasm dripping off your voice, OL...

Let's hope there's no-one important between you and your opponent. This is about to get messy, methinks.

Well, it's not like many, if any, of the general Citizenry were named during their story, for one. :rolleyes:

I don't picture a lot of these fights taking long.

Well, then. I wonder if OL-chan is just naturally bitchy, or if she's trolling the Citizenry. It's not like they deserve the polite treatment anyway. On the other hand, I hope OL understands what they're getting into, because if this is a Boss Rush, then the difficulty will ramp up fast. At least the Citizenry are about to get an education about what Lanterns can do...

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they try to avoid them because they can actually be a threat to them.

True, but while he's biologically a woman, mentally he's still a man.

Though I doubt the Citizenry are progressive enough to accept transgender people.

He's going to show them his red rage.

I think they'd consider it polite if you surrendered to them.

If you opposed them in any way then you're being very rude.

Given that it's Paul, it's both him being bitchy and being a troll.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  20. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"Prove you're a woman."
    "Ring, transmute a 1976 Toyota Hilux."
    Compliance.
    "
    I'm going to try parallel parking. If you become convinced that I'm a woman before your ship is destroyed, the survivors may fight me."
    [​IMG]

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat, in the Golden Age, that "excellent training" was Charles Atas Superpowers that included superhuman speed and strength.

In All Star Comics 8, her first appearance, she's described as being 100 times stronger and agile as the best male athlete in the world.

In Sensation comics, started a year later in 1942 written by her creator Marston, she's written as having to be reminded more than once that non Amazons don't have superpowers.

She knocks someone out with one punch, the strength shown in that series enough to break metal like paper mache, it's "Oh yes, have to remember these people are more fragile than an Amazon." She has to save Steve Trevor "Why didn't you just jump like I did?" "Because I'm not a kangaroo!" She expected a woman to be able to overtake a boat going 30 mph and when corrected it's "Okay, grab my waist and don't let go."

Sadly I can't find the picture right now despite looking for it, but it was a plot point that the Amazons started training outside women the Amazon powers so like there's a girl lifting a boulder.

22. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

We always forget that Paragon has a body count in the Billions. These mooks are not on his level.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Actually the citizenry as an organization almost certainly has a much much higher body count (hundreds of billions or low trillions in their total existence) as they supply Grayven with food for his troops by converting civilizations that are trapped on their planet (explained as a lack of chemicals to industrialize beyond coal) into biomass by killing almost all of them (minus a few notable females) something they did long before they joined Grayven at a slower pace (as they only had to feed themselves).

Individually Paul has a body count in the millions at the low end and hundreds of millions in the extreme high end.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think it was mentioned if they supplied Grayven and his troops with food.

The Citadelians at first and then the time he bombarded that Spider Guild planet.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Vaermina, why are you like this?

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

They convert the snakes biomass into food, the charitable interpretation is that they are at least supplying Grayven and his troops with food because otherwise they ended three and a half entire civilizations in a few months (and the biosphere of the planets they were in) to only supply themselves.

You are missing quite a few, the Citadel Starbase, fleets and cloning facilities account for at least a few million, then he did a lot of work to end the eye gouging nation that was the primary hegemon super power of their planet and Paul mentioned that involved killing a lot of people that were too set on their eye gouging "culture" to make an honest try at changing. There bunch of people he had as collateral when he recruited Ranx (he vented atmo), with the ortillery and other space fleet engagements his kill count gets even higher to the point the Shadows and other humans he has killed are a rounding error.

However, billions is still a stretch, his inaction and the cascade effects of his actions has killed billions, but not in a way that could be reasonably placed directly on his feet.

Edit

Speaking of Ranx. Mr Zoat are Ranx and mother of mercy going to be showing up to fight off the Reach fleets? Ranx is the command Starbase of Dox and one would think Mother of Mercy would make for a very good mobile supply base and field hospital for the troops.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  27. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    22:10 GMT

For a moment I experience the disconcerting feeling of having my ovaries clench.

Then I see breasts and realise that it's not Lobo that I'm going to be fighting. Same chalk-white skin, same dark grey dreadlocks and similar musculature. Similar weapons, too; thick metal chains and… A comedically large and poorly-balanced machete-cleaver sword. So unless Lobo missed one, this is a velorpian.

Which means… No shapeshifting, and… Slightly less strong. And there's minimal chance that Lobo himself will barge through the wall. Still not an easy fight, not if I want to keep the fight in this arena, which is only… Fifteen metres across?

"So you're the bastich bitch who thinks she's got what it takes to be a Citizen."

Different facial markings, but the voice is about the same when adjusted for chest volume. Aramis spins her sword around on one of her chains.

Now, as far as I know, the psions never gave the velorpians super speed. Technically. The thing is that sufficient quantities of super strength can sub in for super speed in a lot of situations. So, program… Evasive path. Because I don't think she can fly any faster than that Citizenry flight system will let her, which is a lot slower than she can run or jump.

"If I'd realised that there were people of your calibre here, I might have moderated my tone. I didn't think there were any other czarnians left."

"You got a purty mouth. Shame-"

And then I'm in the air with an aching left shoulder, her sword blade falling to the floor with a 'thonk' as it fails to get a grip on my rerebrace. I'm not sure how it transmitted any force through my defences… Or rather, how it did without tearing my arm off, because there are ways to bypass my defences and if she's using one of them that's what should have happened.

She grins as she pulls on her chain to recover her sword.

"-if something happened to it."

"My mouth isn't in my arm."

"Will be when I'm finished with yeh."

"What?"

"'cause I'm gunna rearrange yeh body parts and stick 'em back together in the wrong places. I'm gunna make yeh a fraggin' modern art exibition!"

"And yet you're somehow less fucked up than everyone else here. Have you considered running for office?"

"Okay, you've reached the end of yeh one dodge banter credit." Program dodge and angled construct armour. "So nows I'm gunna-"

Clang!

I stabilise before I hit the stands behind me, having taken the flat of the blade across my chest. Ring records show… My construct knocked it off true, but shattered before it could just knock it aside entirely.

"-smack yeh around some."

"What's that made-"

Whitefacedownwardpressure-.

CLUNK!

"-of-?"

Uhh!

I hit the ground, cratering it.

Positron bomb.

And then I fly in a prone position, moving out of the way about half a second before Aramis lands from her fists-first dive and doubles the size of the hole I made.

Which explodes.

Because while it's perfectly possible to create a construct positron gun with a power ring, it's also perfectly possible -if energy inefficient- to just restructure some electrons. You can then contain them using a construct rather than a magnetic field like a positron gun would. When the construct is destroyed they inevitably encounter electrons and explosively neutralise one another, which means that while you don't get the 'cut' from neutralising an electron that's part of the target, you get an explosion that's just as big.

And because I don't feel like being her punching bag when she inevitably walks out of the smoke to the cheers of the crowd, I adopt an evasive pattern.

"Heh."

And she walks out of the smoke to the cheers of the crowd, the painful-looking burns on her face and shoulders knitting themselves back together as I watch.

"Tricksy one, ain't yeh?"

Calculating… Use four times as many positrons next time.

Compliance.

"Isn't every drop of your blood going to-."

"Naaaaah. Psions thought that would make us 'dangerously uncontrollable'."

"It may amuse you to know that the psions are extinct."

She perks up slightly. "Oh yeah? Who got'em?"

"I think most of the firepower came from the Crown Imperium, though by the end just about everyone in Vega still standing contributed a little."

"Guess my species is going extinct, then."

"Don’t worry, I've scanned your genetic structure. Once you're dead, I can make more of you."

She looks unimpressed. "Now, what'd you have ta go and say that for? Now I gotta kill yeh."

"I don’t follow."

"After people started callin' me 'Fembo', and I started killing the bastiches, I got thinking. Keezy mal's got a rep. Powerful rep. So it ain't exactly an insult to get compared to him. And if he's the last czarnian, maybe I could be the last velorpian. Had to kill a few blood-copies, but it's a good gig. And now you-" She points her sword at me. "-tell me you can make more of me?"

"Fair point."

She brushes some carbonised skin off her shoulder.

"So now I gotta make an effort."

X-ionised blades, defensive-

CLANGClunkunk.

-pattern.

The sword blade falls to the ground, having spun after I severed the chain and hit me with the hilt.

Aramis stares at the cut end of her chain for a moment, and there's a collective intake of breath from the crowd.

"That. Was expensive."

Chains lash out in a blur of grey metal, blades sparking and being knocked out of the constructs holding them! I form shields and maser cannons, trying to draw a bead on Aramis while dodging myself. It's a matter of mathematics; we're both moving too quickly to calculate where the other is going so we're calculating most likely arcs and lashing out at that area. I try recovering my blades but they represent fixed targets and so points where I become more predictable and so take more hits.

I wince as my construct armour gives up the ghost, but I can see lengths of severed chain on the ground as well.

Right, fine, new approach-.

I hit the stands behind me with the afterimage of a grey fist in my eyes.

New construct armour, over shield, underground plasma initiator and gamma-

BOOM!

-radiator. Let's see how tough the rest of them are.

Wait, w-?

28. Mr Zoat

Ranx probably won't, because he's content as a shipyard. Mother of Mercy is, and I'll try and give her some screen time.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was a very quick and confusing fight. I think Paul should just accept that the only way for him to kill this enemy is to assimilate her.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Never underestimate the main man.

Weird that she'd know what modern art is, or that an alien species' version of modern art would be the same as human modern art.

Not that it's that difficult.

She doesn't want the competition.

Cuchulin, kagekami42, Ardy and 6 others like this.