1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Oh, crap. Lobo's species, 1.0 Pre-crisis patch. And since they're not retconned, this female is going to be basically Lobo, rule 63 edition. And while that can be interesting, it's also dangerous as hell.

No, merely that 'she' can kick every one of their asses.

And at the mention of chained weapons... I am picturing her swinging the Blades of Chaos. They seem like a good fit for a female Lobo.

Ah, reconsidering your bravado, OL-chan? I expect she's pretty tough, to be this high a rank.

Because Czarnians, and their pre-crisis predecessors, are bullshit. They were a threat to Superman.

I mean, if your power armour is all-covering, how would she have known? After all, not every keeps their stuff in the same place.

...Well, that's her intentions made clear.

...Very clear. Honestly, she probably considers being in charge too much work, though.

Might need more than that, OL-chan.

Damn, whatever she's swinging, it's badass.

First rule of fighting a Czarnian (or equivalent): Don't stand still.

Seriously, they are overpowered...

Oh, that sounds nasty.

...Like that's going to stop her? She probably eats grenades for breakfast. It gives the slop a certain flavour.

A fancy way of saying 'anti-matter land-mine'. :D

At least you're still that genre-savvy about cape fights.

You ain't seen nothing yet, hon'.

I don't think there's any good amount of positrons to do sufficient damage to her without blowing up the whole ship...

Gee, you think? :p At least they had some sense when it came to experiments.

Who didn't? Quite a big boom when their planet got blasted back to the primordial stage.

...That's honestly a good thing.

...Admittedly, making more of them might smack of irresponsibility.

...Maybe you could arrange a licensing system?

Well, I guess she's finished warming up...

...Lots of blades. All the blades, in fact.

:confused: I hope that's a good sound?

:eek: ...Is it too late to apologise, and remake it for her?

Yeah, probably don't wants the Citizenry getting their hands on infinitely-sharp knives. Who knows what they'd get up to?

Scorched earth? Because that's about the level of firepower you'll need to put her down temporarily.

No kill like overkill against her. And with a Power Ring, reloading is not an issue. :D

...Oh, that doesn't sound good. Friendly backup, or hostile?

So, who's this turning up via Boom Tube, I wonder? Friend or foe? Though I can't think of any Ascendant with enough power to beat Aramis... Unless the ritual resulted in someone becoming a war goddess. But if it's an enemy, then who? I doubt Grayven would make an appearance. Theana or Astarte, coming to check out a possible threat given that OL-chan has lasted more than thirty seconds in the ring with Aramis? I'm sure we'll see soon.

Use four times as many positrons next time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

It's almost certainly not, but the 200-quatloo wild-card bet is Renegrayven.

Ardy, Caerwen and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

inevitable -> inevitably

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Second rule: don't let them bleed.

And washes it down with some acid.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Who? Which one do you mean again?

7. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

Crumbler effect to every cell in her body at once.

8. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘realised’
    ’before it could’?

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  10. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Any chance we’re going to be seeing more of Lantern Yat any time soon?

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Considering he's probably one of the most powerful Orange Lanterns with or without a ring, I would hope so.

12. Mr Zoat

He's a child, so not if the SI can help it.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I forgot that Paul recruited him in the middle of his origin story. If he won't be going up against the Reach, what will he be doing for the OLC?

Bud-E likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Growing up into a mentally healthy individual. His adoptive mother is currently hoping that he gives his ring up, though that doesn't seem very likely.

15. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Ring translation is really good.

16. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I am just going to assume that the ring is very good at translations so when she mentions a alien art style that happens to look like modern art Paul hears modern art.

17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Clearly not expensive as mine."

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. _The_Bomb

Ah, that explains things. I was picturing him around the age of 15-17, like the team. How old is he actually?

19. Mr Zoat

I've been imagining him as about thirteen.

20. _The_Bomb

Ah, gotcha. Young enough that he really shouldn’t be involved in fighting the Reach, so we’re probably not going to see him unless he’s meeting Kon or Kal-El.

21. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

i googled velorpians. on the dc database page it says lobo is a velorpian. is this a typo or was he really velorpian at some point in publication history? also velorpians look like they are clones of czarnians.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Velorpians

22. Mr Zoat

Czarnians were retconned into existence. Originally, Lobo was a velorpian and the rest of his species were killed by the psions. Then it was retconned, he'd always been a czarnian and velorpians never existed.

In this story, the velorpians were an attempt by the psions to create a more controllable czarnian. It wasn't successful and they scrubbed most of them.

23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what the hell?! the original story with the velorpians makes more sense than lobo killing of his own species. why would they retcon it into a more ridiculous story?

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Beacause Lobo Runs on Ridiculous parody of 90's comics.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 24)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    22:02 GMT

Captain Astarte closes the communication channel with one of the local leaders…

Lieutenant Aroeite experiences a moment of confusion. The natural distaste at seeing a man in a position of authority, or anywhere other than the breeding chambers or provider troughs. But Captain Grayven valued them, and…

And she remembered the fight between him and the Captain. The almost casual way he handled himself, the way he didn't treat the Captain as a… No, not that he didn't treat her as a threat, though he did not. The way he treated it as an entry test, such as the Citizenry held for women seeking to join them. Though in their case, letting women in after losing was almost unheard of.

The Captain fell, and… Grayven let her live. Even approved of her skill. There had been many challenges after that, and she had shown them that she was no weakling. For a time she decorated the halls leading to the arena with their corpses, so that anyone who was considering making a challenge would have to walk past everyone else who had tried.

Lieutenant Aroeite wasn't… Sure how she felt about it. She considered herself to have value, and she knew that she would not be able to best the Captain. So there being someone who could beat you didn't make you worthless. That was unarguable. But seeing Captain Astarte, supreme leader of the Citizenry, defeated by someone…

They had stopped being independent after that, and that too did not feel right. Even if it changed little in practice.

It was a shame that the women of the Reach were unwilling to even try to become warriors. Their beetle-warriors at least had the pride to die well.

"Lieutenant Aroeite. You will take a squad of shock troops to the surface and recover Sparta." I Command Here.

"Yes, Captain."

Aroeite's jaw still had a slight click from the blow Captain Astarte dealt her for responding too slowly to a command.

"Did they acquiesce?"

"No. They did not respond at all. I felt their fear as our souls touched, and the one who received it was far too weak to be Athyns. So we will not trouble ourselves with that. Sparta can explain her failure to Grayven. Perhaps he will put her in the breeding pits."

As far as Aroeite knew, Grayven's gordanian and Karakkanian followers did not breed in that way. Perhaps the Captain just found the juxtaposition of the way things should be and how Grayven made them amusing? There was a rational reason for having a powerful male impregnating many women; if Grayven had lost to Astarte he would have been drained by as many women as possible before being fed to the providers.

The Captain puts her hand on the… Sensor device that Grayven had gifted to her. Supposedly, it expanded her awareness of certain things because she was… Like Grayven in some way, and his people commonly used such devices.

Lieutenant Zusen frowns, receiving a message on the ship's normal communication systems. "Captain! There is a member of the Orange Lantern Corps-."

"I know, Zusen." Know My Contempt.

"He is challenging us. Insolently."

"This is where the Illustres fled, then. Accept. Keep him here. Pit him against Aramis. If she falls… Anyone who has been slovenly lately."

"Yes, Captain."

"If the warriors of these people are too pathetic to dare speak to us, he is the only obstacle of any significance. Our sensor masking will prevent him receiving communication while inside this ship, even with his ring."

BOOM!

"Aroeite, go now."

Aroeite lowers her head and charges, gun in hand. The portal feels like nothing, and she raises her gun at once to shoot the first native soldier she sees in the chest. The weak armour gives way at once, metal and flesh burning-

"Yaargh!"

-through the torso, life leaving the body almost immediately. The locals were primitives, and in some places lacking technology led to the people having far greater personal resolve than could be found in other places. But no, a single mortal wound and this man cried out in fear and confusion.

More shots blast out from the rest of her squad, and guard detail of this… Prison, not having time to organise themselves even slightly. All men. All worthless.

Somewhere, an alarm sounds. Perhaps they have portals of their own that they will use to send in more capable soldiers? Perhaps she will get the opportunity to discover why Grayven values them so highly.

"I can hear you! I can feel his touch on your mistress's soul!" "Let me out!"

But first, she has a failure to free.

1st January 2013
    22:08 GMT

"Athyns has the Seeds, yes."

Astarte doesn't let her contempt at the mess in front of her show on her face. Dimly, she feels the Orange Lantern defying Zusen, and the churning potential of her fight with Aramis.

"Muuuust-. Must get them."

Sparta was a capable enough warrior, before. Astarte would have gladly welcomed her as a Citizen, once she passed the requisite tests. Seeing Sparta like this makes her glad that it did not happen. Her mind was clearly too brittle for the role if this is her response to a single setback.

Losing to Grayven was humiliating. It made her think of the distant time when she was new to the Citizenry. When she was still weak. She… Vaguely remembers weeping as she struggled through the training exercises the ones who recruited her put her through. Grudgingly, she was pleased at her own response to Grayven's training. In the fanning of the divine spark in her into something greater.

It might be time to try having another daughter.

Open The Way.

BOOM!

After using the Seeds to defeat Grayven.

The strike squad charges through, the slightly dulled sound of their weapons firing coming back a moment later. Aroeite has to grab hold of Sparta's armour to prevent her leaping through the moment the boom tube opened. No, Sparta lives for the information she can give on the Seeds' nature. She will not touch them again or gain glory through combat. She has proven herself unworthy.

Astarte gives the strike squad a moment longer to establish a beachhead and then strides through, blaster and falchion at the ready.

Blood. Burning flesh. It-.

She sidesteps as a plasma beam flies past her, her own gun coming up and snapping off a shot that burns through the Karrakanian's faceplate and into their skull. A fair shot from them, and sound tactical positioning. Lesser soldiers are frequently distracted when moving though the portals, and looking down she sees that at least two of her Citizens fell in the same way.
    Choose The Slain.
    She makes a note to check whether the soldier she shot survives, and to offer them citizenship if they did. Or the option to sire children before being consumed, if they were male.
    "Challenge!"
    She snarls as one of the Karrakanian godlings tries to get her attention. "This is battle, fool."

Five Citizens who were not being pressed aim and fire, the godling being blasted off their feet. Interesting that they didn't die immediately. Odd that there aren't more of them. This tower is supposed to be their fastness-.

BOOM

Who dares-?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"or gain"

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Quite a bit of Godspeech asides today...
    (Be sure to click on the quote box if it looks too short)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  28. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I'm lost again.

Silverbladestar and MasterG like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

While LePaul was distracted like the goldfish he is the Citizenry sent a striketeam via Boomtube to attack the planet and free Sparta.

30. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Yesterday, we saw OL challenging the Citizenry, to try to distract them from goings-on on the planet.

Today we see that didn't exactly go as planned, as parrarel to that, we see Astarte having Sparta retrieved, finding out where the Seeds were, and then going to retrieve them herself.

Both scenes end at the same time-point, with the arrival of a new challenger to the fight via Boom Tube.

Given the reactions of both of them, this isn't somebody known....

After this I'm upping my bet to 400 quatloos on it being Renegrayven.