1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Stop. Shooting. At me.

...please.

2. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Astarte? Better break out Satanus and the New Ascendant construct-lanterns. Heck, maybe the Saremite and Reach Thralls too. They should be powerful -- or distractively -- enough to at least buy Paul some recovery time, right?

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, a friendly. And given what we saw yesterday, probably coming to let OL know what's going on back on Minosyss. Now, how quickly can OL pivot his plans,head off the bad guys at the pass... And maybe regain 'little Paul' at some point. :oops:

You know you've stumbled into a hard fight when you start running your thinking bits at FTL and don't realise it.

Because of course second- and possibly third-degree burns are only a minor annoyance to them...

See, you should have led with the cold gun. Freeze her, shatter her and claim the win while her bits are still pulling back together... If they even do that.

- should be closing the door right now, please? Last thing you want is a super-strong, rapid-healing lunatic running riot in the heart of your command centre.

Right, then. Excrement has hit the rotary cooling device and is now being flung about the room. Time to clean up.

...While keeping a very close eye on his innate back-stabbing impulses, of course?

Subtle, aren't they? How very Jagermonster of them...

Heh. Going to be an unpleasant surprise for them when their defences do nothing against your weaponry...

He can be excused for not munchkining the instant teleportation system... Meanwhile, there's that 'Third-degree burns? Bah!' toughness in action.

Sadly, this kind of thing isn't exactly common amongst most space-going cultures...

Resulting in a very worrying situation if you take down the leaders. The Citizenry might flee... They might launch their provider-things. But they will not surrender, that's a given.

...Let's not be in too big a rush on the medical front, eh?

...No big loss, mind. Even if you're trying to be less callous about killing... Some people do deserve it.

Which just leaves the raiders inside.

Really should consider adding an anti-tamper self-destruct or something if you're just going to forget them like that. A small crumbler charge or something in the hilt, maybe.

...I suppose you could say she's been decisively disarmed. :oops:

The joy of power armour. Even simple blows are nasty.

No doubt frustrating them to no end. I doubt they're used to any foe this mobile.

Huh. Is this the first time we've seen on of OL's Construct Lanterns speak for itself?

Bah. Dead animals are fodder for growth... But live ones are better.

See, now this is how smart and powerful Construct Lanterns should be. I wonder how much of that is because of OL expecting it to be?

Ah, the end-boss of the scenario has arrived. Time to kick some ass.

Looks like things are about to get messier. This is not going to be an easy fight for OL, unlike the battle the Renegade had with her. I expect she'll be throwing Godspeech at him while attacking, while he tries to dodge and blast her... And that's assuming her guards don't try to get involved in the fight too. Though Gary seems to have them under control for now...

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's not a good thing...

kerleth likes this.
  5. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I'm guessing you meant NBC? Or did the acronym change when I wasn't looking?

6. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Can construct lanterns create second-order construct lanterns?

7. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

It never was NBC in his country.

NBC = Nuclear, Biological, Chemical = the one we Colonials are used to.

CBRN = Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear = the current Britishism

ABC = Atomic, Biological, Chemical = the old Britishism.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  8. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

I know the Praexis Demon could reproduce and create new construct-lanterns if that's what you mean. I also know it was stated in "Contingency" that construct-lanterns could also assimilate beings themselves.

TheSkywardStar likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It would be more true to say that it's not in their individual interest to kill their host. As a system, both long term infection and short term infection have their merits.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's correct?

10. Mr Zoat

No, but they can create more first order ones.

11. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Hey, honest question, although I don't know if it's impolite to ask. So does the anthem change now? You know, swap the Queen with King in the lyrics? It was my prevailing thought everytime England played in the WC and I just remembered to ask.

Otto von Saurion and kerleth like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Yes, but she was in the job so long that it's difficult to remember that she's not in it any longer. It's like, you know Bill Gates isn't running Microsoft any longer, but...

13. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘and the Citizens’
    ‘opened’
    ‘They’ve’
    ’Citizens’?
    ’when your nerve’

14. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Have you considered a thanatocracy? It's worked great for North Korea and would really put the pretender in his place.

kerleth, Bramble Thorn and Caerwen like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Teekl could talk and Hell Nabu was fairly talkative.

Otto von Saurion, kerleth and Ardy like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Either work fine, I think.
    If we changed the system just because something else would be better then we'd be no better than foreigners.

kerleth, Senevri, Windona and 14 others like this.
  17. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

Starting to wonder if he actually wants to seem more callous or insane.

Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I know, right? Only ‘almost’ beautiful? I guess he’s in too much of a rush to appreciate it.

19. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

That's a very strange way to call yourself inferior to foreigners.

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The WC is no place for playing. Do your business, wash your hands, and get out!

21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm... sorry? I think my comprehension failed me there...

kerleth likes this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Water Closet. WC.

Also known as a bathroom, restroom, the john, etc.

23. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

A lot of teenagers find it very convenient for playing, due to the privacy factor that they may have problems getting elsewhere.

24. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 26)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    22:13 GMT

And there go my boobs. Chest… Uaargh. Yeah, that shot a nice hole through my construct, force fields, armour and flesh. Heart-. Yeah, lost my heart, as well as a lot of lung and my oesophagus. Fortunately, it looks like whatever the gun fires is a purely straight line thing, rather than crawling though my body to hit every vital organ. So my brain's still fine. Or maybe she doesn't realise that I have one? This armour doesn't have a distinct head unit after all.

I'm falling. Good, playing possum in a situation like this is a reasonable ploy, because if my defences don't work the only thing I've got to fall back on is phasing and that's a lot easier to bypass than the rest.

Ring, image of Astarte?

The armour is clearly a New God riff on what the rest of her people are wearing, with the helmet being replaced with a diadem. New God technology, so it'll probably work fine on the areas it's not covering. The forearm weapons are blasters rather than being plasma-based, which explains why she was able to bypass…

Ugh, Hippolyta's been sandbagging, hasn't she? Is Ares Astarte's father, too? Might explain-.

Right. Regenerate my chest… Yes, just repair, I'll redesign later. Have to evade attacks, rather than tough them out. Restore armour and start dodging at once just in case.

How to actually attack her?

Fungoid, go after her.

"One animal is much like another, as far as I'm concerned."

Where even-? The tower. And I'm going to assume from the fact that she is having to fight the defenders that she can't just blast her way through the New God armour that the Ascendants are wearing.

I scan the lower levels of the tower, and… Yes, a couple of dead Ascendants.

Well, there's no point in wearing armour that I know doesn't work. Construct armour should be able to handle the other weapons. I fly downwards, forming a crumbler ram to crumble a circle out of the wall and slam into the Citizenry's rearguard.

Literally.

It turns out that in addition to properly phased plasma, their armour also doesn't stop crumbler fields.

My construct armour takes fire from the three survivors, and I feel reassured that it takes the hits without much difficulty.

I lash out with filament cluster constructs, and two respond by diving to evade and the third slashes at the cluster coming at her with a glowing short sword. The short sword works best, cutting through about 80% of the oncoming filaments. It doesn't make much difference as I only need one to tag her for a shock crown, but it does to show that evading isn't always the best option as the other two are hit by all of the filaments I send at them.

Right. Take their weapons, send them to subspace. Nerve impulse suppression collar, slap that around their unwisely exposed necks. The version with the anti-sabotage decapitation charge. Now… Yes, they've shut down the boom tube and the next closest squad are several floors up.

I step

out of my armour and grab the two Ascendant corpses. The armour… It's not going to give me complete coverage, but it'll be better than nothing. Muttering a prayer to Hades, I strip the dead of their armour and strap it onto my own body. And… Each of them get an obol in the mouth, which probably won't matter, but is appropriate and respectful, especially if I'm stealing their soul-bound equipment.

And now…

I feel the shape of my desires, the fabric of reality flexing in response to the orange light within me. I feel the networks of desire I'm not even touching respond to my actions, reshaping themselves without requiring my direction. I feel myself partially material and partially in the Honden of Avarice, existing as an aetheric creature.

That… Seems to be working. Faintly-glowing tron lines, and… It's easy enough to move in. Makes my breasts more apparent than the fully enclosed power armour, but…

Just ignore it.

For a moment I consider getting back inside my power armour and using this as an undersuit, but I just don't think it adds anything.

I fly-

Ooh, that's interesting. Flying by ring power feels easier and more responsive. It's like I'm… More aware of the universe around me without specifically telling my rings to feed me that information.

-up the tower, construct armour forming around me. The ship is moving away from the tower, training its guns on the tower but not actually firing. Do the crew know about the ritual? How much of the tower-?

The attackers aren't destroying the New God systems in the tower's structure. Are they-?

There are many more Ascendants on the planet than are in New Othrys. The logical thing to do would have been to boom tube directly into the ritual space, unless they couldn't because it's shielded. With the power boost from the Seeds, Sparta or Astarte could overwhelm the system… Broadcast her power over the whole planet. Or just override anything that might stop them boom tubing out. At the same time, I can't just tell them to wreck the tower because Athyns wants to do the same but for our side.

Astarte is two floors down, battering the last set of defenders between her and her goal, their New God shields barely able to block the hail of plasma coming up at-.

For a second, Astarte locks eyes with me through the wall evade!
    Die.
    Ow! Right in the-! Boobs again! Armour took it, and… Stayed whole, but it's visibly damaged and I'm seeing the downside of the extra erogenous zones. Stings.

Destructive pulse.

My armour shimmers as the orange bolt fires back along the path taken by Astarte's blaster shot, the woman herself evading it easily with a sidestep she barely seems to think about. Three thousand years worth of experience and this is all she does with it.

Destructive pulses.

I fire a barrage, orange bolts punching through the walls and slamming into the Citizens, bursting apart their armour and flesh.
    Die.
    Astartes takes another shot at me, so I try to intercept it with my own. It's… Partially successful, repeated destructive pulse hits eating away at her blaster bolt until what hits my armour is barely a fart. Grinning, I focus fire on Astarte and force her away from the staircase, fire from the defenders causing a crossfire. And since they're Ascendants, she can't just tank it on her armour.
    Die And Be Damned!
    She makes her choice and backs up towards the far wall, letting the defenders hit her in exchange for getting more shots off at me. She's moving her arm around to change the angle, but I'm in the air and moving slightly to intercept a gun that fires more slowly than I do is no real hardship. She's-.

Wait, where's Spa-?

"MINEIT'SMINE!" "MINE!"

Sparta throws the bodies of fallen Citizens at the distracted guards and then throws herself at them. The bodies only block a couple of shots but Sparta doesn't even notice the burns on her skin as she throws herself at them in a frenzy. Astarte switches targets, managing to hit a guard who was trying to fight Sparta off in the head and creating an opening for her. Sparta charges past them, a New God mace appearing in her hand as she assaults the fortified door protecting the ritual space. Astarte switches target again, shooting the wall behind her with a wide beam shot before throwing herself out. I fly into the building, trying to-.

BOOM!

Through the hole in the building I watch Aramis spit out an ice cube.

"Hey there sugar plum. Miss me?"

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  25. Chojin Patriarch

A few bits of godspeech, all in a blob, but one of them is kinda significant...
    For a second, Astarte locks eyes with me through the wall evade!
    Die.
    Ow! Right in the-! Boobs again! Armour took it, and… Stayed whole, but it's visibly damaged and I'm seeing the downside of the extra erogenous zones. Stings.

Destructive pulse.

My armour shimmers as the orange bolt fires back along the path taken by Astarte's blaster shot, the woman herself evading it easily with a sidestep she barely seems to think about. Three thousand years worth of experience and this is all she does with it.

Destructive pulses.

I fire a barrage, orange bolts punching through the walls and slamming into the Citizens, bursting apart their armour and flesh.
    Die.
    Astartes takes another shot at me, so I try to intercept it with my own. It's… Partially successful, repeated destructive pulse hits eating away at her blaster bolt until what hits my armour is barely a fart. Grinning, I focus fire on Astarte and force her away from the staircase, fire from the defenders causing a crossfire. And since they're Ascendants, she can't just tank it on her armour.
    Die And Be Damned!
    She makes her choice and backs up towards the far wall, letting the defenders hit her in exchange for getting more shots off at me. She's moving her arm around to change the angle, but I'm in the air and moving slightly to intercept a gun that fires more slowly than I do is no real hardship. She's-.

Wait, where's Spa-?

"MINEIT'SMINE!" "MINE!"
    ...Bad news, that ain't OL at the end...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  26. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Did Paragon just do Godspeech with the Ophidian?
    Oh that's not good.

Dur'id the Druid and _The_Bomb like this.
  27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Nope.

Sparta did Godspeech infused with the Orange Light of Avarice.

Of course, that's probably WORSE.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I love how LePaul is so obviously annoyed at the boob armor being more effective then his meticulously crafted power armor.

This is 100% LePaul's fault.

29. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

Is paul using godspeech really a bad thing? this is probably just the next stage of his progression/evolution like attaining enlightenment was.

kerleth, Ardy, Caerwen and 1 other person like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

I suppose being able to keep your brain running on Orange Light makes losing a fairly important chunk of your body seem insignificant... Still, very lucky she did shoot center of mass instead of targetting the presumably obvious sensor cluster...

Always good to keep eyes on the threat, after all. Be thankful she didn't give you a follow-up double-tap.

It's more that Hippolyta hasn't tapped into her divine side. Not much need too with Themyscira normally so peaceful.

Sadly, her proximity to the ritual chamber kind of rules out the biggest guns. Too much collateral damage.

...Wow, he's a rude one, that Construct Lantern. Do as you're told, blobbo.

Ah, indulging in some quick looting for new gear, OL-chan? It's a fine tradition. After all, back in the Trojan War, they fought over things like the armour of fallen heroes...

...Good thing crumblers are self-cleaning, or that would result in a lot of chunky salsa.

Well, reinforced by your desire to not get shot again, of course it will.

Still, good show for her attempt to resist.

No interruptions to your looting. Yoink!

Construct armour can always cover the gaps for you. And respect for showing respect to the dead.

...And now I'm picturing that moment from the end of 'The Matrix'. You know the one. Where the shape of reality itself begins to warp...

I'm sure it looks a lot spiffier than your usual light combat armour. And possibly more hellenic.

Because of course New God-style technology gives a bonus to exotic sensory perception.

Probably confident they don't need to, assuming that they can overpower the spirits of those within.

It's going to have to be blade and fist, then.

To be fair, she probably doesn't know you from the heavily-armoured being she killed earlier. Astarte is likely only seeing a flying Ascendant with an irrelevantly odd aura.

Hey, at least it's not like Wonder Woman or Power Girl. :DYou've got plenty of support, and presumably a lot less mass there...

Yes, put that indignation at her wastefulness to use.

Amazing how much easier it is when you're using the right gear, isn't it?

I would have expected her to have been left on the Citizenry's ship, in chains...

...But no. Here she is, going all Daffy Duck over the Seeds...

Well, crap. Two war goddess-wannabes fighting side-by-side...

...and then there's this crazy bastich again... o_O It never rains when it could pour, does it?

Eesh. this day just keeps getting worse, doesn't it? OL-chan might have to toss out the 'minimum killing' rule out in the face of ludicrous resistance. At least he's got a power-up from the Ascendant armour. Let's hope he keeps it, or at least gets a somewhat more masculine cut for later. Now... I wonder how resistant Velorpians are to assimilation? ;)

Fortunately, it looks like whatever the gun fires is a purely straight line thing...