1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

Paul, that sorta involving acting within the Spirit of the Customs as well as the Letter, you make a habit of mocking things by your very existence.

2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Rhea mother goddess of MINEMINEMINEMINEMINE

DeathReaperZ, Cuchulin and Caerwen like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Because her ring stopped working, and without it she'd probably have beaten him in a hand to hand fight.

4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

What do you mean when you say Athyns looks more like a god? Does he have a halo now?

5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘scarring’?
    Is that how her species does it, or did her middle fingers get blown off?
    I think he was referring to Athyns.

6. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

scarring. With just one r it means Fright.

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's how her culture does it.
    Ah. He did it because he wants to de-escalate.
    So close.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe that's how her people do it.

Yep.

Not sure she understands what that means.

9. Mr Zoat

No, but Athyns' society has torn itself apart multiple times in his lifetime. He would very much like a period of stability.

10. Mors

Mors Making the rounds.

From a Doylist perspective, why give them the x-ionized blades? Now they have to come back sporting dozens of them. The rules of the narrative demand it.

11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I wonder if this implies that velorpians have lopsided testicles.

12. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Oh my! I know quite a few people on Earth who would be quite happy to hear the news. Especially a certain dryad.

Ardy, Bud-E and Chaoswind like this.
  13. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Who?

14. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

15. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh, Rhea's back. I think I missed the part where this would resurrect her, but that seems like a major change.

Hmm, how the prisoners will be handled will certainly be interesting. I suppose it depends on how many are willing to reform.

16. Mr Zoat

It hasn't precisely resurrected her. Don't expect any direct speech from her or anything like that.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

chew

soft-pedaling

pierced

That was Athyns's power flowing through him because he was acting in that god's service. He's probably very compatible with that power, but I wouldn't say that he could achieve apotheosis "at any time" -- it seems specific to these circumstances.

18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

or you take the "I am a Man again" thing as him rearranging his biology rather then reversing godhood.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

8th February 1992
    12:13 GMT -7

My point defence constructs shoot down the handful of missiles that are actually on target, ring weaving me out of the lines of travel of the rest.

Ring, get him back on the phone.

In progress.

"Oh, hey Orange. What do you n-?"

"We 'might' be testing some missiles?"

"Yeah. Y'know, it's a desert, Stark Enterprises does weapon testing-"

Alert.

I generate a shield construct as a laser cannon deploys from beyond a camouflaged hatch in a nearby mesa, the brilliant red beam hitting the shield and achieving nothing.

"-around here… Huh."

"I have no particular objection to helping you improve your weapon systems, Mister Stark, but I'm a bit narked about doing it without warning and for free."

"No, I just… Spotted that the whole system's live. It's not supposed to be."

"Do you want me to forcibly shut it down, or are you good to fix it yourself?"

"Ah… I'd rather you didn't write off twenty million dollars worth of equipment, but if you need to. I'll just have to make my investors understand."

"Oh, don't worry. It's not that good."

He sighs. "Yeah, okay. I had that coming. On your-"

My point defence construct fires, hitting the stealth missile's fuel reserve and causing it to ignite.

"-six… Huh."

"Missiles aren't tough. You don't need a laser powerful enough to cut through tank armour to destroy one. Far weaker lasers will do the job, and far faster and more accurately than kinetic flak. The only issues are power, which this ring handles perfectly well, and the computational power to target it accurately in flight, which this ring handles perfectly well."

"What about chaff or flares?"

"Sure, if your battery or computer can't handle it, being able to maybe dodge three missiles is better than-" Ah, that actually is a flak emplacement. I reinforce my armour and ignore it, because my armour is a lot tougher than aluminium. "-nothing."

Shells burst around me, doing a grand total of nothing as the shrapnel fails to penetrate.

"But if you can do lasers, in an atmosphere you effectively just need to know where the target-."

"Where the target is, because you hit it at the speed of light rather than three thousand feet per second. I need to talk to some of our product users-."

"Have you shut the system-" A rather large plasma cannon turret emerges from a bunker in my line of travel. "-down, or-?"

"I can talk and work at the same-" I hear a dull tone from his end, and the turret stops tracking me. "-time. There, clear for approach. What was it you wanted to talk about, anyway?"

"I actually wanted to talk to Mister and Ms. Maximoff, if they're available."

"Ah… Who?"

"Mister Stark, the ring can locate anyone anywhere on the planet who isn't specifically protected against it. And the only things I know block it are some types of magic and some types of alien technology."

"That sounds like a horrible violation of civil liberties."

"No, it's only a violation of civil liberties when the government does it."

"I… Don't think that's how it works. Quicksilver's going to meet you outside. Scarlet Witch will be along in a few minutes."

"Thank you, Mister Stark."

And there's the main bunker, complete with runway, cargo helicopter landing pad and white-haired man in a skin-tight silver and grey costume. I'm a little surprised that Mr. Stark hasn't insisted on something a little more professional, but maybe he wanted superhuman protection more than he wanted uniformity.

I raise my right hand in greeting as I come into land. "Mister Maximoff."

He regards me with a degree of suspicion for a moment. "Were you tracking me all around the world for a reason?"

"Ah, yes. Though strictly speaking, I wasn't tracking you all around the world, I just had the ability to find out wherever you are at any point in time. Point is, I just got back from having a conversation with your elder half-sister, and it turns-"

"What?"

"-out that she didn't know that you exist either. Or who her biological father is. It's all getting a bit soap opera-y, so I thought that I'd stop that silliness and just tell everyone the stuff they were probably missing. I don't know what your phone number is, so-."

There's a sort of glimmer in the air, and… Glam rock Thor appears with a twirl of his axe, Ms. Maximoff next to him. I… Think his name is Sentry?

"Scion of Maltus. I offer you warm greeting."

I blink.

"Thank you. You're the first person I've met since I got here who's heard of Maltus."

"In my life I have walked many strange roads, and forgotten more than many have ever learned. I fear that I recall no more than the name and the image of rings such as you now wear."

Ah. Well, it would have been a bit easy if I found the place through a chance encounter. "Ah. Well, it's still worth knowing."

Mr. Maximoff looks at me for confirmation. "Sister?"

Ms. Maximoff looks at him. "Yes?"

"No, a…" I shake my head. "You both have an elder half-sister by the name of Lorna Dane. You have the same father. His name is Erik Lensherr, though I believe that at other points of time he's used other names."

Ms. Maximoff stares. "Magneto… Is our father?"

"Yes. Given how confused he was when I told him, I don't believe he knew. Given how you both have the x-gene, I expect that he will want to make contact soon-. So you might want to advise Mister Stark to make a suit of non-ferrous armour."

Mr. Maximoff's eyes narrow. "How do you know that? We-."

"I compared your genes to his and noted the fifty percent match. It's not impossible that someone like Nathaniel Essex got hold of some of his genetic material and created you as partial clones, but given that Mister Lensherr was married when you would have been conceived and they were separated when you would have been born, there's really no reason to add more steps to the process."

"We-." Mr. Maximoff and his sister just look at each other for a few moments. "We should talk about this."

"I understand." I fabricate a card with Ms. Dane's home telephone number on it. "You can reach her here. And on an unrelated note, is anyone on your team happily married?"

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When you do it it's just a crime and very creepy.

"Stark"

"Lorna"

If I remember correctly, his birth name was Max Eisenhart, and Erik was an alias.

"Stark"

22. MajorPane

MajorPane Getting sticky.

Oh, the Sentry can travel between Marvel and DC.
    Ohhhhhhh nooooo. That's not good, that's very, bad indeed.
    ACCESS! ACCESS HAVE YOU BEEN ALLOWING MENTALLY UNSTABLE GODLIKE BEINGS INTO THE SAME COSMOS AS DARKSEID?

23. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

It's just buisiness to him at this point. It takes a special kind of disentization to be able to shrug missiles coming at you and only being annoyed about the owner not asking first.

Ardy, Relyt33, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  24. Me. Joka-r

Me. Joka-r Professional Procrastinator

Century can, not sentry.

25. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Stark?

Ardy likes this.
  26. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Lorna

27. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Sentry is far more screwed in the head then Century here.....you can tell because you haven't had to yeet the yellow clad mental case and his dark side off the planet yet.....though considering his 'retroactive continuity' snarl, I wouldn't put it past zoat dropping him into other marvel setting.

Though to be honest never heard much about Century here back in the day, I'd honestly thought they just made him up to fill in the ranks of Force Works for the Cartoon. Hasn't exactly left a big impact.

28. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Personally I think of Tony Stark as
    Mister Please Stop

29. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

Good old Mister Start.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ha, I like how blase Tony is here. I want to see them team up. They would get along splendidly...and give everyone else conniptions in the process :D

Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 4 others like this.